Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default Lo-cal ww Buttermilk Pancakes and/or Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

Pumpkin Pie Pancakes (or ww Pancakes)

1 egg
1 cup ww pastry flour
1 cup buttermilk (1 T vinegar and milk to make one cup)
1 Tbls brown sugar (I use 5 or 6 Splenda instead... no cals and sweeter)
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling, just pure pumpkin; you can use more if you want)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
I also add a pinch of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and ginger to taste.

I mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl and the wet in another. Then I whisk them together until there are no lumps. Let the batter sit for a minute or two. Cook on a griddle or as you do any pancakes. You may want to use a non-stick pan and/or cooking spray. I make small pancakes (about 3-4 inches in diameter) and one pancake is approximately 42 calories and 1.5 grams of fiber.

Also, if you put 2 tablespoons of oil in instead of the pumpkin, and omit the pumpkin pie spice, you'll have a really great buttermilk pancake (whole wheat) that is about 55 calories, 1 gram of fiber, and 2 grams of protein for the same size pancake. These are really yummy too, and a big hit around here!
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

Hey -
This looks like a great recipe, I might have it for dinner tonight! I'm wondering, how many servings does this recipe make? How many pancakes do you get out of it? Also, do you top yours with syrup? Jelly?

Oh, and where do you get your pastry flour? Will any pastry flour work?
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Hi! Sorry, I just saw your questions. I think it makes about 16 pancakes of the size I described. I often make a double, triple, or even quadruple recipe and freeze leftovers. They defrost and reheat in the microwave perfectly. We top them with anything we're in the mood for--sf or light syrup, margarine, or even plain. I use Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour. Any whole wheat pastry flour will work. I get mine at the regular chain grocery store.
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote