General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Default A little personal, but...

Ok, this is kind of a personal question, but I figured I'd come here for some advice.

So...my period is usually on a 28-day cycle...it's pretty much like clockwork. However, this month it came on day 36...not like me at all, and I'm thinking it was because I had a really bad cold for 2 weeks. Yesterday was the first day of my period. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex yesterday (day 1). Is there a chance I could get pregnant if it's day 1 of my period, and it's a late period? And he didn't do anything inside...

And yes, I know it's very unsafe to have unprotected sex, and it was pretty stupid of me and I'll never ever do it again. But if you could get past any judgments and give me some good, sound answers to my question, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Last edited by LaBonita; 01-27-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You can get pregnant any time, doesn't matter what part of your period you are at.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #3  

Anytime???? Hmmm....I thought you could only get pregnant when you were ovulating, and about a week before then
Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #4  
Meg

I got pregnant on Day 5 of my cycle. I really don't think there's any 100% safe time, especially if your cycle is erratic.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:30 AM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

The chances are extremely, extremely low, but I guess nothing is impossible! I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a great book that will let you know all you need to know about this stuff.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #6  

well, i have tracked my ovulation in the past. i do have a very normal cycle - 28 days, with ovulation around day 12-13. this last period was just a little wacky because of my being sick. so is it really possible for pregnancy to occur if i had intercourse on day 1??
Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well yes you need to be ovulating at the time but you can ovulate at any time. Also there is a few days window before and after the ovulation. How did you track your ovulation in the past?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes, you can get pregnant almost any time in your cycle. You are playing with fire! Why?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Sweetie

I'm in a different country, so I don't know kmuch about your medical system. Here in the UK you can go to your GP (family doctor) and get a "morning after" pill. Otherwise, I think you need to talk to someone about how soon you can get a pregnancy test. Do you have a clinic you can go to?

I have to say, the chances of your being pregnant seem pretty low, but I wouldn't recommend just waiting and hoping.

Best wishes,

Nicola
Old 01-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #10  
No description available.

Since your cycle has been acting irregularly, it is hard to say what day you would ovulate this time round. There is sperm found in the preejaculatory fluid. I would guess (an educated guess, but a guess just the same) that the chances of pregnancy in this situation are low....even if low is 2% (and I am just using that as an example...there are no statistics on your precise situation), if you are that 2% then it is 100% for you.

I see it was just yesterday. Call your provider and get emergency contraception.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #11  

it was only this cycle that was irregular, and it was a little late.

yes, there's a few days window before ovulation, but since i ovulate around day 12 let's say, i would have to have had intercourse on day 5, correct?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #12  
No description available.

That math is dependent upon a regular cycle, which this one is/was not.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

When you are regular as clockwork the odds are very very low, but when you have a sudden irregular pattern it is really impossible to say WHICH day is day 1. Just because you had your period late it does not mean you ovulated later than usual. You may have skipped a period but ovulated normally which would put you at PRIME fertility. It is unusual, but unless you temp and chart, there is no way to know for sure.

I echo the other posters. If you are really worried about it go get the morning after pill.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #14  

If you are on your period you are not ovulating. The first day you see red blood is day 1 of your cycle. Your period arrives approximately 14 days from the day your body released the egg.

The above is some advice from a nurse on another board....I'm getting lots of conflicting advice here.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #15  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

Ennay said it perfectly: "When you are regular as clockwork the odds are very very low, but when you have a sudden irregular pattern it is really impossible to say WHICH day is day 1. Just because you had your period late it does not mean you ovulated later than usual. You may have skipped a period but ovulated normally which would put you at PRIME fertility. It is unusual, but unless you temp and chart, there is no way to know for sure."

Just because you were textbook normal before, obviously something is different this time around if you were late on your last period. You just can't know when you're ovulating. It is probable that you have not conceived. But if you just had sex, it's also possible that his sperm is living inside you for a few days before you ovulate, say tomorrow.

I think this is a neat tool- but again, remember that everything is just an educated guess at best.

http://www.northpennpregnancy.org/test.html
Closed Thread