Weight Loss Support - Do you check out other posters to see if their contribution is

srmb60
01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
noteworthy ... appropriate ... applicable ... and so on?

lilybelle
01-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I think that as individuals that we all have something to contribute. We learn from each other. We won't always agree on everything. If we did, this would be pretty boring. I don't check other posters stats to determine if I feel their contribution is worthwhile. IMHO, it doesn't matter if it's someone that has yrs. of maintenance successfully completed or someone brand new. We're all here hopefully for the same purpose of becoming healthier.

srmb60
01-26-2007, 01:08 PM
I read just about everything on 3FC. If a suggestion is totally off the wall, I'll go check out who's talking.
Although, since the site is getting so big, I do tend to gravitate toward folks who are doing what I do ... more or less.

alinnell
01-26-2007, 01:44 PM
There are certain posters who I really, really respect. There are others that I don't know as well, probably because I don't "hang out" in the same areas as they do. I try to respect what everyone has to say, and I try to be as objective as possible when responding to a post. And I agree that there are many, many opinions here on this board and that is what makes it interesting. Take for example the current thread about bad movies--what one person dislikes another loves. We're all individuals and as such we should respect each other's individualism.

BlueToBlue
01-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Hmmm, not quite sure what you mean by this. I do usually read every post in a thread before posting my own response. I don't want to repeat what someone else has said (sometimes I refrain from posting because it doesn't seem like I would add anything and sometimes I go ahead a repeat what others have said anyway ;) ). I'm usually interested in what others have to say. There are a few posters that I don't respect quite as much as most, but really not very many. This forum has really been a fantastic resource for me. I'm quote it to others all the time. Some question about weight loss or exercise will come up and I find myself saying "I participate in a discussion forum on weight loss and the folks there say that..."

I don't really follow other posters through the forum or use the "find other posts by this person" feature very much. I use it mainly to find my own posts and also if I am looking for something someone said. For example, I remember that SusanB posted a recipe for protein pancakes, so I might use it to browse through her posts looking for the protein pancake recipe. I do find that a lot of the same people show up in the threads that I am posting in and then sometimes I stumble onto a new area of the forum and discover that there are a whole group of people posting regularly that I've never heard of.

Cheercoach
01-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I must say that I have a hard time following advice from someone if they don't have any crediblity. That being said, I know everyone has their own opinion, and are entitled to it. There have been threads that I've created where someone has commented on it and I don't necessarily take it into consideration, much less heart. So, I might not go so far as to look at other peoples profiles, previous posts etc. I do know who has been here for a while and who offers the most open minded advice....

Did that answer or was I just rambling??

AquaWarlock
01-26-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm a bit unclear by what you mean by this question as well - but I rarely check out other's stats/profiles unless they seem to be spamming (and have very few other posts) or advocating very unhealthful weight loss practices.

cbmare
01-26-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure what you mean, either.

Are you looking for someone who totally agrees with you all the time? I don't think that will happen here.

There are some posts here where I can contribute nothing because of my lack of knowledge about what they want. There are others who ask for advice and then blast people when they don't hear what they want to hear. I've posted asking for help and felt some of the responses rude, but the non-rude responses I received aided me in making a decision even though I wasn't heading that way. They pointed out some things that made me change my mind.

Many people have things to contribute that aren't always what we want to hear but their contribution is usually from their heart or experience.

LLV
01-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I don't quite understand the question either, but I'll go with what lilybelle said.

JayEll
01-26-2007, 04:36 PM
I think I know why SusanB is asking this. On another thread, someone posted a reply saying, more or less, "Hey, you give good advice, but you were never really 'fat.'" And I think that brought up the issue of, when you read what someone says, do you check out their statistics to see whether they have "credibility" in that way?

For awhile I didn't have a ticker or even list my S/C/G numbers because I didn't want people to decide whether what I said was good based on those numbers. I've been up and down in the many months since I started visiting this site. Of course, I always notice when someone weighs less than I do--some Chicks' start weight is less than my goal weight! But so what.

I think the last thing we need to do here is start judging who's really "fat" and who isn't. Just doesn't go anywhere.

Jay
P.S. I always enjoy your posts, SusanB.

Beach Patrol
01-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Chalk me up to another who isn't quite sure what you mean...

But I do read others' posts & respond as well as I can. I know I'm not perfect, but I feel I definitely have some advice/comments/zippy remark to make that does make a difference to some.

As far as "weight topics" go - which let's face it... there's PLENTY of'm here! ;) I may not have a lot of credibility right now, as I am on the upper end of the scale. However, my biggest problem is MAINTAINING the weight I lose. I've already proven to myself that I CAN LOSE THE WEIGHT - after all, I've done it 5 times & I'm on my 6th go'round. So I'm hoping that by tweaking this or changing that, I'll lose the weight THIS TIME.... FOR GOOD.

I learn a lot from people here. I enjoy it here & I like that I can come & share my frustrations, as well as my joys, and I get plenty of "understanding".

Sometimes I get a little frustrated with certain people who don't seem to do ANY study/research, but just go by "what people tell them" or what "somebody else did to lose weight" etc. I don't need everyone to agree with me, but I do think it's incredibly important to understand that OUR BODIES are all different. We may have the same parts & the same struggles, but what works for Sue may not necessarily work for Jane, & so forth.

I think it's important to keep trying - and important to learn to change if something is not working for you. But most important, we all need someone to lean on from time to time... and I don 't know bout the rest of yuns, but THAT is why I'm here! :)

callystia
01-26-2007, 04:43 PM
I do tend to gravitate toward folks who are doing what I do ... more or less.

Ditto.

LisaMarie71
01-26-2007, 05:04 PM
I'll confess that I may pay a tiny bit more attention to some posters than others, for various reasons. I love that we're all different and that we're all supportive of each other, but I do feel like people whose stats are somewhat similar to mine will understand what I'm going through more than someone who, say, only has 20 pounds to lose. I'm not saying that person's goals aren't just as important as mine, but being 110 pounds overweight, as I was at the beginning, is very different from having 20 pounds to lose. So we have different things to talk about, but we have some stuff in common too. It's all good.

srmb60
01-26-2007, 05:09 PM
JayEll is right.
However, I really was interested to see if folks look to the root of a suggestion.
An example might be someone who says they never exercise ... kudos if that works but I'm gonna go see ... probably just in their profile.

LLV
01-26-2007, 05:19 PM
JayEll is right.
However, I really was interested to see if folks look to the root of a suggestion.
An example might be someone who says they never exercise ... kudos if that works but I'm gonna go see ... probably just in their profile.

Well usually you can tell by their ticker. But I know what you mean, not everyone has a ticker.

I've never looked any anyone's profile.

LLV
01-26-2007, 05:41 PM
I think I know why SusanB is asking this. On another thread, someone posted a reply saying, more or less, "Hey, you give good advice, but you were never really 'fat.'"

Well that wasn't a very nice thing to say.

BlueToBlue
01-26-2007, 05:45 PM
I think I know why SusanB is asking this. On another thread, someone posted a reply saying, more or less, "Hey, you give good advice, but you were never really 'fat.'" And I think that brought up the issue of, when you read what someone says, do you check out their statistics to see whether they have "credibility" in that way?

I often look at people's profiles to see how much progress they've made, but it doesn't really influence whether or not I value their opinion. Either what they say resonates with me or it doesn't; whether they started at 300 lbs or at 150 lbs doesn't really change that.

It is interesting to see where people started, where they are at now, and what their goal is. And I often look at people's profiles to see how old they are; most of the time I have a pretty good idea by what they've posted but sometimes people surprise me. There are a few folks that post here that show a level of maturity far beyond what I showed at their age.

There are a few forums that I just don't post in, even if I see topics there that I think I could comment on. For example, the 100lb club or the depression and weight loss forum. I didn't lose 100 lbs and I've never really had to deal with depression, so even if someone is just posting a question about cream cheese in those forums, I figure they don't want to hear from me. Sometimes I've accidentally posted in one of these forums (I saw the thread on the home page and posted before I noticed what forum it was in) and I've gone back and deleted my post.

rockinrobin
01-26-2007, 05:47 PM
I really don't think that by looking at someone's stats or ticker you can tell whether that person is credible or not. After reading enough posts by a particular person, you kinda get a better idea of how much knowledge or experience they have. Also, some people are just better with the written word then others. I DO know this - there are A LOT of very intelligent, articulate, witty, warm, and helpful women around here.

simone1ca
01-26-2007, 05:48 PM
I know what you mean. I tend to take advice better from someone who's had a lot of success losing weight because I have a lot to lose. I know to all of us weight loss is difficult no matter how much you have to lose, be it 5lbs, or 100lbs, but I tend to favor the advice given by people who have the same goals as I do and are close to meeting them.

For instance...my brother's gf is about 120lbs, 5'8" tall. I'm 5'6" tall, 320lbs. She's never been heavy, yet she constantly gives me advice on how to lose weight. To me, she's not a credible advisor. Someone on this site whom I've never met but who HAS lost weight is more credible.

sweet_talker
01-26-2007, 05:52 PM
There's lots of specific people who I recognize as frequent posters and therefore take more of an interest in them simply because I'm more aware of their habits/lifestyle and such. I also take note of people who have lots, sometimes thousands, of posts, because you know they've been on 3fc for quite a while and have a lot to offer. Just my 2 cents :)

NewDay4MeToo
01-26-2007, 05:58 PM
If I am reading a thread, I make an effort to read every person's contribution. Whether or not I take the advice or comments to heart is really a matter of whether what they say applies to me. I also take into account the spirit in which the comments were written. Was the person genuinely trying to help? etc.

I try NOT to judge based on how long they have been on the website, for example. I remember with some of my first posts I felt dismissed because I was new, and don't want to do that to anyone else. That dismissal feeling may have been purely in my head, but it makes me want to be super careful of others.

Finally, I probably do favor people that just have a way with words. I feel so many times like I just have no idea how to say what I want to say. My words sound choppy and my point is not clear. Then someone else comes along and says what I wanted to say, except better. I love that- it means that I can try to remember what they said, and hang onto it for next time, to hopefully help someone else.

alinnell
01-26-2007, 06:10 PM
There are a few forums that I just don't post in, even if I see topics there that I think I could comment on. For example, the 100lb club or the depression and weight loss forum. I didn't lose 100 lbs and I've never really had to deal with depression, so even if someone is just posting a question about cream cheese in those forums, I figure they don't want to hear from me. Sometimes I've accidentally posted in one of these forums (I saw the thread on the home page and posted before I noticed what forum it was in) and I've gone back and deleted my post.

I've "accidentally" posted in forums where I don't think I fit in (like UK chicks and 300+) and felt kind of silly afterward, but no one flamed me! In fact, on one post, I kept going back and adding to the conversation.

shrinkingchica
01-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Well that wasn't a very nice thing to say.

Um...maybe you would like to see what that was in reference to before you judge??? Just a thought.

For your info..........I said that and it was because Susan has lost 30lbs with 10 to go. As a result I don't think that she quite could realize the extra skin issues that those with 100+ to lose deal with.......especially when naked.

As for "credibility"-----I think that I have alot. I have after all lost 128lbs and know what it is like to have a very heavy body and what it is like to have now a lighter body but with the same skin as my heavy body.

It is just a different experience, and one that is lucky enough never to experience it wouldn't understand.

On another note.......Susan posted a similar thread a while back in general chatter asking if people follow other posters around on this site.

I try not to preocupate myself with what others are doing. I certainly don't stalk anyone. I read the regular forums in which I post and if something is of interest to me---------I post.

sweet_talker
01-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh, also, I am sometimes curious about people's tickers: do you put your "starting weight" as your highest ever weight, or do you put it as the weight that you started at when you joined this site? Because mine are 2 different weights, and I use the weight I was at when I joined 3fc :p

shrinkingchica
01-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Oh, also, I am sometimes curious about people's tickers: do you put your "starting weight" as your highest ever weight, or do you put it as the weight that you started at when you joined this site? Because mine are 2 different weights, and I use the weight I was at when I joined 3fc :p

Well, for me my HW and SW were the same. I also started my weight loss journey a year before finding 3FC and so I had already lost weight and I gave myself credit for it. So, my ticker has my hw/sw but not my 3fcsw. :)

LLV
01-26-2007, 06:31 PM
I really don't think that by looking at someone's stats or ticker you can tell whether that person is credible or not.

Well, no, I didn't quite mean it that way. I just meant that by looking at someone's ticker you can see how much weight they've lost and see their starting point.

If I'm viewing a particular subject of interest, however, I read everyone's opinions, whether they've lost a bunch of weight or not.

ennay
01-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Maybe I do....

I know there are a few posters that I would definitely take extra time to listen to what she had to say because of all the posts I read since I have been here, I think they have approached weight in a fairly healthy manner etc. etc. Even if I disagreed with their advice I would probably take a second look at what they are saying.

There are also a few people that over time I have realized that they aren't losing in a way that seems healthy to me or they seem a little out of line with what I believe in so I am likely to discount their advice

But that is only for people that I have seen posts from often enough to have a strong feeling for. Everyone else I try to take a look at evenly

Is that at all what you mean?

MariaMaria
01-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm really uncomfortable with judging whether someone is worthy of reading or paying attention to, and I remember wondering about that earlier thread as well.

But I do recognize that someone whose "enough, must change NOW" moment is not fitting into a 14 in the missy department will have had a very different experience of fatness and probably of losing weight from someone whose initial goal is to get under 200 (or 300) pounds.

LLV
01-26-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm really uncomfortable with judging whether someone is worthy of reading or paying attention to, and I remember wondering about that earlier thread as well.

Which thread are you all talking about? Not sure if I missed it or not.

sotypical
01-26-2007, 07:10 PM
It depends what the suggestion is. I had someone say something to me once, and I was like WTF? and when I looked into their diet and how they were losing weight, it was the COMPLETLE opisit of mine. In the sense, I dis-regarding what they had said - because it was the total oppisite of what they were doing.

MariaMaria
01-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Which thread are you all talking about? Not sure if I missed it or not.

I was responding to this

On another note.......Susan posted a similar thread a while back in general chatter asking if people follow other posters around on this site.

which as I read it referred to this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98601

Doughnut
01-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Well I'm new here and can pretty much say that everyting Barbara has said on this thread is what I would have written so I won't repeat it.

I do however particularly look out for posts by some people and the original author of this thread is one of them. Some people just "speak" to you more than others I suppose. I particularly like the people who post regularly in the UK and featherweights forum - but then I'm English with a relatively small amount of weight to lose so that sort of figures!

I've definitely looked at people's profiles - nearly always to check out their age though. OK, Barbara said that too so I'm going to stop now.

srmb60
01-26-2007, 08:18 PM
It depends what the suggestion is. I had someone say something to me once, and I was like WTF? and when I looked into their diet and how they were losing weight, it was the COMPLETLE opisit of mine. In the sense, I dis-regarding what they had said - because it was the total oppisite of what they were doing.

This is the sort of thing I was talking about in the first thread. Seeing who walks the walk. I would hope that if I accidently posted in the Atkins threads for someone to eat more bread, the readers would check that out and know I didn't know what I was talking about.
Shrinkingchica was a good example because she'd obviously checked the source of some information she'd read. We all should.

PerthChick
01-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I post regularly in the Aussie Chicks thread, and I read a lot of others every day. A few times I have tried to get into conversations in the Support forum - but I rarely get people to talk to me .

Perhaps it's the kilos instead of pounds thing. I know that when I'm reading in here I sometimes get my calculator and work out what some of you weigh in kilos, so I can understand whether your journey is similar to mine or not. My journey began in August 2006 when I weighed 231 pounds. Right now I am 206 pounds and going strong.

I admit I have 'favourites'; women who are warm, wise and have a sense of humour. But at the same time I believe that everyone who has found this website has a genuine desire to lose weight, to seek support, and to find information that will help them decide the direction of this journey.

I've learned valuable things from women who started out weighing 300 pounds, as well as from women who started at 150 pounds. I think it's the diversity of experience in here that makes it such a wonderful place to come. It doesn't matter who you are, or what you're trying to achieve, you can find someone else who has been there.

And of course there are some posts I skip. I don't "check people out" for credibility - that's not my place to judge - but there are some things I don't read.

:-)
Ani

ennay
01-26-2007, 09:24 PM

For me its when I started this particular weight loss journey in November which was slightly before I joined this site. My highest non pregnant weight was 186 I think? But there was a low of 146 after that and then a second pregnancy so.... I just started fresh.

LisaMarie71
01-26-2007, 11:27 PM
This thread has made me think. I agree with a lot of you in how you react to people's posts, but there are posters who sort of "speak to you" in a way, as someone else said. It's interesting, though -- I do wonder how I'm perceived sometimes. There have been times when I've responded to someone or congratulated them (on weight loss or other things) and they never say anything back, and I know I do this too, because you can't keep track of every post. When it keeps happening with the same poster, though, you start wondering if they hate you for some reason!!

ennay
01-26-2007, 11:29 PM
This thread has made me think. I agree with a lot of you in how you react to people's posts, but there are posters who sort of "speak to you" in a way, as someone else said. It's interesting, though -- I do wonder how I'm perceived sometimes. There have been times when I've responded to someone or congratulated them (on weight loss or other things) and they never say anything back, and I know I do this too, because you can't keep track of every post. When it keeps happening with the same poster, though, you start wondering if they hate you for some reason!!

lol...probably just that they tend to post at a certain time, and then you post, and they never go back to the thread.

Or they are airheads like me :D

srmb60
01-26-2007, 11:52 PM
It is a big site to keep track of. Did you know that if you click on your own name in your grey profile box (to the left there) you can get a list of all your own posts?

SlimLindy
01-27-2007, 12:49 AM
If a post really sticks out to me (for good reasons or for bad), I definitely like to get a feel for the person who posted it. I'm on here so much, though, that I feel like I really know a lot of the regulars and I cherish their words as I would from any friend. I love to read anything written by rockinrobin, susanb, glory87, meg, mel allinell, lilybelle, tara d, wndranne, ennay, mami, charlenej (and many I can't think of off the top of my head). I often look up all their posts and see what else they've written. I do tend to discount things written by people who are doing something I strongly disagree with (eg when someone who is extremely restricting calories or the majority of their calories come from junk writes a post regarding nutritional advice).

It's funny... I also feel defensive if someone is critical of one of the post-ers that I really admire! I'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing to feel such camaraderie with people who, to some extent, only exist in cyberspace!

Ilene
01-27-2007, 01:16 AM
As a moderator it's kinda "my job" to check out profiles, but even before becoming moderator I loved to check them out anyways, just out of curiosity. Seeing where someone is from, what their interests are, just makes the whole experience of 3FC a little more fun and interesting. As another poster said I refrain of posting in certain threads because of different interests or food plans...

SwimGirl
01-27-2007, 05:02 AM
LisaMarie71 - I ALWAYS wonder how people percieve me! It's hard to figure out how something it meant to be read by just words - thank goodness for those emoticons sometimes!

I once had someone on here compliment me - and I thought.. wow, I just do NOT do that enough, it really can touch a person when they need it the most. Thats one of my "new month" resolutions - be more kind, and pass out those compliments when I truely mean it.

It makes sense to me that you'd value advice from someone who has the same beliefs as you do - even if their plan isn't the exact same as you own. I certainly wouldn't take career advice from someone who didn't share the same beliefs on working as I do!

-Aimee

LLV
01-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Um...maybe you would like to see what that was in reference to before you judge??? Just a thought.

For your info..........I said that and it was because Susan has lost 30lbs with 10 to go. As a result I don't think that she quite could realize the extra skin issues that those with 100+ to lose deal with.......especially when naked.

That all depends on the person, their body, how they lose and whether or not they exercise.

But yeah, being a 'big' girl (trust me, honey, I've been there) gives you more skin to deal with.

la3y_un1c0rn_37
01-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Good job Susan you got me thinking once again....

I like this site for this very reason....

LLV
01-27-2007, 11:23 AM
I was responding to this

which as I read it referred to this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98601

aphil
01-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, as a moderator I "have" to check out people sometimes...if someone is being disruptive, I check back to see if they have a history of this-or if this is a first offense, so I know how to handle it. If I think someone joined just to spam others with something, I check into it.

As a whole though, I don't "follow" others around the board, or check their credentials. :lol: I can tell by reading their posts if they are knowledgable or not. I have favorite people here at 3FC, but I don't follow them around and read everything they have written all over the board-I don't have the time, because I have to read and keep an eye on the threads in the areas that I moderate. (even if they don't apply to me, or interest me.)

I simply don't have the time with work, my job, and three kids from 8 to 5 months, to follow others around the board without a particular reason to do so.

As far as the way that I am perceived here-I am sure that some people love me and tell me so, and others thing I am a big pain in their behinds. I guess it just depends on who you ask. :lol:

(You may not like me if I publicly shot down your thread on the new "ice cream diet" you were so excited about..or if I disagreed with you and told you that I didn't think Anna Nicole Smith was a good role model for weight loss. :lol: )

But, on the subject of this particular thread:

I think everyone has a place here-if youhave 5 pounds to lose, or 500. I don't believe that anyone's "ticker" has anything to do with how knowledgable they are. For instance, if a new person were to come to 3FC, and I had my starting weight up, current weight, etc. they might get the wrong idea about my weight loss experience. My weight is currently pretty high. What my ticker (which I need to redo and get up here again) does not tell you is this:

~I got up to 205 pounds in 1998 after the birth of my daughter, and over the next year and a half, made it to my goal weight. I MAINTAINED that loss until becoming pregnant with baby #2.
~I got up to 211 pounds after the birth of baby #2 in 2001, and over the next few years, made it down to 164-165, maintaining that for over a year, before getting pregnant with baby #3.
~I just had baby #3 in August. I was borderline gestational diabetic with the other two, and full blown with Saber. It caused even more gain because of this-even though I watched my diet during pregnancy, and exercised and taught dance classes up until I went into labor. It put me at an all time high of 221.5 pounds because of the medical condition-even though I was doing everything I could to keep the gain down.
Saber is 5 months old. I have been exercising, and watching my diet since he was about 2 weeks old. The weight is coming off much slower this time around, but it is starting to go down.

However...if someone new just looked at my ticker, they might see that I have only lost a few pounds, and that I have been here for years and have only lost a few pounds-they might think I am unsuccessful. Tickers don't tell the fact that I have lost and maintained successfully, that the babies and the gd are what made it go up and down, and that I am losing from baby #3 right now.

Tickers also don't tell you if the person is eating healthfully, exercising, or how they are losing their weight. Someone could have lost 20 pounds by eating 3 candy canes per day or something crazy like that. Tickers and weight lost doesn't measure a person's knowledge.

Don't go by tickers alone.... ;)

As I said before, I think everyone has a place here-5 pounds, or 500 pounds to lose. BUT-on that same note, while we all have certain things in common on this journey-motivating each other to exercise, or dealing with cravings.

On the other hand, there are some things that are specific to certain people-loose skin, the special caloric needs of mothers who are nursing, diabetes, and many other things.

In specialized situations, some have had experience with certain things and have great advice to add because of this, some are knowledgable because of their professional field (I have often answered questions about skin and hair in General Chatter-because I used to manage a hair/nail salon and am licensed.) and others are supportive because they are having the same issue, and are hanging around to get the same advice...and so on.

This isn't just about the loose skin thread, and the comment made in it. There are threads women write about how to handle a situation with their child-and you get replies from 20 year olds who have no children-and myself, having had 3 of them, find their advice unusable and unrealistic a lot of the time. :lol:

So...I am rambling, but I guess what I am saying, is that everyone has something to offer here SOMEWHERE. But-no one can offer advice, and no one is knowledgable EVERYWHERE, and we have to be willing to admit that there are certain things that we don't know beans about.

For one, I don't know squat about weight loss surgery. I know a few people who have had it done, watched a couple shows about it on Discovery-but I am the wrong person to come to for advice if you are considering it, and want to know the pros and cons. :lol: I am the wrong person to ask if kickboxing is a good workout. I don't know...I have never done it.

Everyone can have merit here...but no one is an expert on every subject.

Obsidianbbw
01-27-2007, 12:10 PM
I may repeat some stuff others have said, but here goes anyway. Also I apologize in advance if I offend anyone.

I have 100+ lbs to lose, but I surf the featherweights forum. I'm in my 30s and I still check into the 20 somethings and 50+. You never know where you will find something that will help. I also feel if I have something to offer that wasn't already posted I post.

I like to look at a profile to see what context the person is giving the advice. No profile and tickers don't tell the whole story, but it gives me an idea of where they are coming from. I make my on judgement on what if anything I should do with the information being given. I'm a grown up.

There have plenty of times I posted a thread asking a question and was bowled over by how wrong people got it, and I am sure I have posted a time or two and people wondered what planet I was on. It happens we are all different. It is also why I start most of my responses with for me. I mentally append that whenever I read someone elses post.

I think one of the big pluses about 3fc is the wide variety of people working different ways toward a common goal. I think it is wrong to tell someone here they were never really fat, for any reason...in any context. I think its a slap in the face. An insult to their journey. Unless you are that person you can't tell them what they were. I weight 300 lbs. I am sure there are people who are 400lbs or higher who think I have nothing to complain about.

Ok, if this post doesn't get deleted or moved I'll be VERY surprised.

Off the soapbox.

-Obie.

JayEll
01-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Obie I think you are cool! I liked what you said. Keep on keepin' on!

Jay

lilybelle
01-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Aphil, your post was excellent. It made total sense. You summed up nicely what it has taken many of us to try to say in many different ways.

aphil
01-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Thank you lilybelle. :)