Old 01-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #1  

Default Need some help

Hi I am a new member, 44 next week and right now full-time-Mom of three boys (15, 13, 9). I lost 30 pounds a few years ago and in the end of the last year I was nearly back to 160 pounds. I am down to 150 right now with a low-fat 1200 calories diet. I go to the gym and since last week I am back to 3 times a week at the gym where I do 1 hour of cardio, weights and sometimes biking. I am really strict - writing down everything I eat and drinking a lot. BUT the scale shows nothing. And I mean nothing. I was so frustrated an hour ago and got so angry but I decided to go on and join this board to get some support because I donīt get support from hubby who says " You and your dieting......." and rolls his eyes.
So ladies: Do I do something wrong? Shall I do more workout - Iīve got enought time in the mornings. I donīt think I should go under 1200 calories but I could need some advice!
Thanks a lot
Milagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Hi Milagro! How tall are you? What is your goal weight? Maybe you need to eat a few more calories a couple days a week??
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Milagro - 1200 calories sounds more like a starvation diet. You are probably slowing down your metabolism by not eating enough. I would recommend adding another 200 calories, but eat it in 6 small meals over the day so your blood sugar stays constant. Keep up the exercise! Maybe you need to vary your routine a bit - do different exercises, bump up the intensity, do it at a different time of the day. Remember, plateaus are normal - your body is adjusting to its new calorie requirments.
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #4  

I am 169 cm tall (I am from Europe) and I want to reach 136 pounds. I am very frustrated right now - sigh -. I use to eat different calories a day one day maybe 1400 and the next 1000 but per week not more than 1200 a day.
Thanks for the welcome
Old 01-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i suspect you are not giving your body enough calories. I know it sounds weird but as much exercise you are doing, you may need more calories. In addition it would help if you spread some of the excercise out. In otherword you may want to to 4-5 times a week 40 minutes. But i suspect you aren't eating enough and your body is in "starvation mode". From what i'm seeing, most ppl need around 1500 cal at least esp if you are exercising. 1200 seems way to low. But i'm not a food nutritionists. It also sounds like you are stressing too much. Everyone reaches a plateau at some point. You need to find something to "shake up the routine". Find a new work out that works different muscles...ie walking on an incline, running, or a new aerobic tape. Some times your body gets use to the exercise you are doing. Also change up the weight routine, try pilates or yoga for a few weeks. Also remember...you may be building muscle with all the weight training and muscle weighs more than fat. Just relax some. Don't get discouraged..we all have our ups and downs
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:57 AM   #6  

First I want to thank you for your replies - it means a lot to me!
I changed my workout a bit. I am doing intervall cardio now for an hour this is a bit different and keeps me more interested AND I feel my muscles now again. Then I added 200 calories to my diet. After reading your replies and doing a lot of research in the internet I think I really had too less. I think I was just so frustrated after all this work and that nothing changed but I am feeling much better now. This forum helped me a lot. And I lost 2 more pounds
Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #7  
Hopeful Loser

S/C/G: 167/165.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Milagro~

Excellent!! This board is really great. Sometimes we just chat about nothing and other times about food, exercise etc. I feel very welcome here.

Come over and jopin us on teh daily threads!!
beckins1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #8  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Congrats on the loss!!!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote