100 lb. Club - 100 Calorie Packs Love'em or leave them?

Charbar
01-25-2007, 02:02 PM
I bought my first box of 100 calorie packs today.. made by Nabisco. Very nicely packed... 100 calories.. not going crazy here. I got the Lorna Doone shortbread cookie crisps - yummy - but not many of them (but I guess that's the point, eh?)

Which ones have you tried?

Sometimes I've made my own 100 calorie packs. I like to divide up snacks ahead of time... so if I'm going for a bing.... it slows me down.
Snacks already packed are good choices too when you are on the run. (ie. I leave some in the car for those.. I'm starving.. but don't want to go through a drive thru, kwim?)

Any thoughts?

nelie
01-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Personally, I don't care for portioned out snacks which contain lots of sugar and/or fat. I do use 100 calorie microwave popcorn only because it is a good emergency to have at work/home and it is truly filling. Those 100 calorie packs don't look very filling to me. I rather have a piece of fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, carrots or another snack that will fill me up. Otherwise I could eat 5 or 6 100 calorie packs at a time.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-25-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't buy any of those kinds of things. I have before (when I was trying to "diet") but since I have made my mind up that I needed a new lifestyle, I just purged all of those things. I was one who could not be trusted with them - I could not limit myself to one pack - I would not leave them alone until they were gone. :o

rockinrobin
01-25-2007, 02:37 PM
I agree with what Mrs. Quadcrew and Nelie said 100%. When I first started out, I couldn't be trusted. One 100 cal pak could have easily turned into 3 or 4 or more. So I just didn't buy them. I have since gained more control, but have no interest in them. I'd rather eat the things that Nelie mentioned, I get more nutritional bang for my buck so to speak.

You have to do what works for you. We are all different. If you think this would aid you, then more power to you. Enjoy!!!

alinnell
01-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I agree with what Mrs. Quadcrew and Nelie said 100%. When I first started out, I couldn't be trusted. One 100 cal pak could have easily turned into 3 or 4 or more. So I just didn't buy them. I have since gained more control, but have no interest in them. I'd rather eat the things that Nelie mentioned, I get more nutritional bang for my buck so to speak.

You have to do what works for you. We are all different. If you think this would aid you, then more power to you. Enjoy!!!

Ditto! But I do agree with this:

Sometimes I've made my own 100 calorie packs. I like to divide up snacks ahead of time

Its one way of measuring your snacks--and they don't have to be the cookie/cracker type that most prepackaged things are. 100 calories of carrots and celery would be much more filling than 100 calories of cookies (and healthier, too).

SexyRevealed
01-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I enjoy them. I really like the Pecan Sandies 100 calorie pack. I never eat them by themselves... Usually after dinner or with some kind of protein as a snack. My son likes them too.

wanna b thin
01-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I also enjoy them, I don't eat them real often but I like to have them at home and in my desk drawer at work for when I'm wanting something different. The portion control works for me. The only one I have had trouble eating only one of, is a new one from Hershey, it was pretzel covered in chocolate. They where just as good as their regular chocolate covered pretzels, just two in a package for portion control. I think I ate all 7 packages in two days. Won't buy them again.

I like the Nabisco Oreo, thin crisps and the Nabisco Ritz one. The Oreos satisify a sweets crave and the Ritz helps with a salt crave. Although a protien snack is always a better choice, and making my own 100 calorie pack woud be cheaper, I enjoy the convience.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-25-2007, 03:30 PM
We sometimes buy these for our daughters, but I've had to make them 100% off limits to myself. I know me.....I might not stop with just one pack. Maybe I can do it one day, but not at this stage in my journey.

sotypical
01-25-2007, 03:34 PM
I also enjoy them, I don't eat them real often but I like to have them at home and in my desk drawer at work for when I'm wanting something different. The portion control works for me.

Ditto. I had one yesterday with some yogurt - it filled me up for an afternoon snack. I am also a big fan of the 100 cal popcorn and 100 cal chocolate bars.

spanky
01-25-2007, 03:39 PM
For me, they're a great idea that doesn't work. I can't eat just ONE!!!

spanky

NewDay4MeToo
01-25-2007, 04:04 PM
These were actually a great tool for me when I was first starting. If I really wanted a junk-food snack, I could pull out the little chocolate chip cookie ones. I only allowed myself one, period. I love those cookies. I would eat each one of those little things, 2 bites per tiny cookie. This way I had plenty of cookie flavor, and it really ended up seeming like a lot for me.

That said, I have a huge box of them still on my fridge. Their novelty has worn off. Now, if I have to have a sweet treat, I favor a square of 85% dark chocolate. It's so strong that I don't need much.

I still see the wisdom in the pre-portioning, though. When my beloved Colts stomped the Patriots, I bought a full-sized bag of baked potato chips. They didn't last very long. :o I won't be buying those again soon. I can't trust myself.

Lovestorun
01-25-2007, 04:09 PM
I had one this afternoon. I do like them although, I don't buy them often. Actually, today I was really good and only ate half the pack and I was satisfied. Just needed that little taste of CHOCOLATE in the afternoon. :carrot:

meowee
01-25-2007, 04:10 PM
My vote is for "LEAVE 'EM" . . . the only ones I eat are the Smart Pop Microwave Popcorn. . . for the same reason as mentioned before . . . I like more volume for my calorie-buck. :D

jtammy
01-25-2007, 04:32 PM
For me, it's better to leave them. If I allow myself to start having sweets and snacks like that, I really start to crave them. It's just easier to tell myself that I don't eat those anymore than it is to have a pack a day and fight the constant cravings.

Everyone is different though, and you may be able to eat them in moderation. I sometimes wish I could have a pack and be satisfied, but usually I'm fine with it. Once I got sugary things like that out of my system, I didn't want them anymore. But if I start back eating them, I have to "detox" again.

Charbar
01-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Now, if I have to have a sweet treat, I favor a square of 85% dark chocolate. It's so strong that I don't need much.

I agree... I buy the dark chocolate too. I have half.. or less of what they call a serving.. it's 110 calories and very very yummy! and now.. it's good for you. (as long as you limit it)

I used to hate dark chocolate. Get a good quality one.. very good.

I agree with what others said... 100 calorie packs are pricey and not healthy. But they are great if you crave something and you want to stay under control. I've actually had the box for over a week and just opened it today... it will probably last a while.

Dana

Penney
01-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I like them.... I also like the 90 calorie snacks as well. I don't eat them every day - maybe a couple a week - but for me it is a quick snack between lunch and dinner (sometimes I just get bored with fruits or veggies) and it is one thing I know I won't binge on....... lately - I cannot be trusted around dark chocolate or any chocolate..... unless it is in a limited supply :o

muzikjunky
01-25-2007, 06:22 PM
I've bought them for quite awhile. I am like a lot of you ladies, I can't be trusted. But, lately...I can trust myself..and I have been buying those quaker mini ranch crips and a box of honey teddy grahams when I want something sweet or crunchy. I count out every single one, and I don't have even ONE extra. Someone told me to buy sandwich bags & divide them all into my own little snack packs. Which I have been doing, and it is cheaper! :) But..I still buy the chips-ahoy and oreo ones every now and then. I can NOT be trusted with a big package of cookies. LOL.

CyberGypsy
01-25-2007, 06:31 PM
For me. I just keep reaching another pack.....I have banned all bad food from my home...until i can control myself

RememberHowToSmile
01-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I love the 100-cal popcorn bags (because I lack any self-control when it comes to popcorn).

I have had the oreo ones and the peanut butter cookie ones. I personally do not buy them however my Mom use to buy them so I would occasionally have them when I was over there because it was easy to find and I wouldn't have to worry about how many calories I eating.

LisaMarie71
01-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Like everyone else said, you have to do what works for you. If I don't let myself have little bits of things I like, I won't stick to my eating plan and then I'll completely binge on something TRULY horrible for me. I use the 100-calorie snacks to get me through the day several time a week. I have a snack around 10:30am during my planning period at school, and it's usually a 100-calorie snack plus some other little sweet something. I have no problem stopping at one because I count my WW points, so I know how many points I can allot to each snack during the day and I'm much too committed to my plan to go over that just because something tastes good. For me, it's better to have a little bit of that taste sometimes than to eat something I don't really like. Don't get me wrong, I like healthy snacks like fruits and vegetables and all that, and I eat them too, but I see nothing wrong with the 100-calorie snacks (except the price sometimes).

melsfolly
01-25-2007, 07:36 PM
I do buy the 100 calorie bags of popcorn because they're the perfect size. The only other one I buy is the Wheat Thins - I would sit down and eat a whole box of them if I had them around the house. But the individual packages don't tempt me - they come 6 per box but since I only eat them about once every other week they last a long time.

I'm a home bagger for the most part - I have serving size bags of grapes, almonds, carrots, cabbage, celery and animal crackers in the refrigerator/freezer at all times.

crazynette826
01-27-2007, 07:20 AM
LOVE 'EM!!!! I agree with LisaMarie. If I didn't allow myself some sweet treats I wouldn't be sticking to my food plan. I also do WW, and at 2 pts. a piece they're perfect for a quick snack. I don't have a problem with stopping at one. I think I have tried all of the different kinds. The Ritz chips are my all time favorite, and my new favorite are the Grasshopper cookie ones. They taste just like Thin Mint girlscout cookies! I don't think that I would have made it this far without them. The novelty might wear off eventually, but until it does I plan to keep eating them!!

LondonJulz
01-27-2007, 12:49 PM
I love them! I have the popcorn, cheetos and doritos. I like them because of the portion control I still feel like I'm being "bad", but I'm not really. I don't have a problem with eating more than one. I just eat them really slow - I feel like I'm eating a lot when I'm really not. I bought them all 2 weeks ago and have only had 1 of each since then. I think they come in handy around TOM because I like junk food around that time....

SwimGirl
01-27-2007, 01:21 PM
i don't really like the taste of the cookie-type ones, however I do enjoy the popcorn ones, they are the perfect size! The only other one I've seen is 100 calorie pack pringles, I always wonder if they are just made up of artificial stuff.. which ALWAYS stalls my weight loss attempts.

We all gotta do what works for our bodies, and it's always different from person to person!

-Aimee

lilybelle
01-27-2007, 01:40 PM
My 14 yr.old DD has tried to follow the Atkins plan with me a couple different times. It is too restrictive for a child and she ends up giving up. Kids at school would make fun of her for not having anything to eat but a LC sandwich for lunch every day. What they didn't know was she had lots of bacon and eggs for breakfast. Anyway, we are both now counting calories instead. She is able to take a sandwich, a 100 cal. snack pack, a baggie of fresh cauliflower, brocolli and carrots with fat free ranch dip and a piece of fruit for lunch and no one suspects that she is "dieting". She says it feels great to have a "normal lunch". Of course breakfast is now wheat pancakes with SF syrup and a glass of skim milk , a low-fat breakfast bar and milk, a bowl of Oats and fruit with almonds or a bowl of cereal and fruit. She eats the 100 cal. popcorn as an after school snack. Then eats a healthy dinner. Has a fruit snack with peanut butter after dinner. I know that for her, these snack packs are a good thing. I haven't tried them myself. I don't think I'd have a problem with limiting it to one pack. it's just that I'd rather have more fruit or fresh veggies in my day than these. We also portion out my DD the single serving of Pringles that are fat-free for her lunch at times. I think it's good for my DD because she doesn't feel like she's missing out on the cookies and chips, popcorn and such that other kids are eating. But, she's keeping her wt. under control at the same time.

Luminous
01-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Interesting what this topic brings up. I have no desire for a 100-calorie pack of Lorna Doones...but if I DID eat one pack, I'd want to eat them all.

Highly processed foods just seem to make me want to eat them until they are gone. :shrug:

Wanna be a loser
01-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I love them. Where I work they have so many sweets out for everyone. It makes me crazy, so my solution is to pack one every day and when and if I feel tempted to eat the other junk, I just eat my 100 calorie pack and I am satisfied. They are worth it to me. Since I only have one on me I can't go back for seconds. If I were to try and have a small piece of cake or pie, I would go back for seconds.

cldavis04
01-27-2007, 05:00 PM
I like the Sun Chips, Doritos and Wheat Thins.

To me it all comes down to a matter of self-control. If I had a large bag I would not eat just a serving. I would eat half a bag or more. These portions help me know when I have to stop. If after that I am not full I will get a Sugar-Free Jello that is 10 calories to fill me own up or drink some water.

If you are eating more than one pack at a time, it is still a matter of self-control. If you eat that many, just image if you had a large bag in front of you.

Also, not in the 100-calorie packs, I like the mini Pringles. A bag of the original is 120 calories, but they work just as good.

They are great for a quick snack when you want something or are on the run.

I keep them in my backpack so I can have them if I get hungry between classes and I don't have time to go and eat a full meal.

Good Luck to Everyone!!!

Wildfyre
01-27-2007, 05:16 PM
My mom used to get them a lot, but I've found that once I get started on certain things, like Wheat Thins which I adore, it's difficult for me to stop.

Instead of carrying the 100 cal packs with me for emergency snacking purposes, I've found little mini packs of carrots at H-E-B which I like to keep around, and I bag out some grapes or almonds or whole wheat pita chips that I toast in the oven.

It keeps me from just running to the cabinet thinking, "It's only 100 calories!"
If I'm having to do the work to separate and bag, it makes me think more.

Reddalice
01-28-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't even look at that isle in the store. For the most part I can control myself, but other days I just don't care enough to stop myself, so I don't leave room for the unhealthy judgment. So... I pre-portion my own treats and put them in a very inconvenient place, a drawer in some far off room. I stick to mostly organic, self-prep, for for those days I need something- I have Hot Tamales and Sour Patch kids wrapped in small packages of 10. No More. No less. When I am going out and I know I will be tempted by everything that will take my progress back I pop a little pack in my bag. In doing this- I have learned to appreciate and really taste my food. I'm not a mindless horker anymore, and my palette and my gut are thanking me. ^-^ So I say leave 'em in search for fix elsewhere.

jillybean720
01-28-2007, 11:42 AM
I used to buy them pretty regularly. I liked the peanut butter cookies and the cheese nips, especially. Now, though, I NEVER buy them. I have discovered that after cutting out the junk for a while, whenever I do have a junky snack, I CRAVE more like you wouldn't believe.

That's not to say I never treat myself, though, but when I do, it will be something REALLY good, not a weenie little bag of 10 tiny cracker-like cookies :p If I need a treat, then I'll get something out at a restaurant or from a specialty bakery or something where I will only get 1 (and usually share it with my boyfriend) and then do not have the option of going back and grabbing more out of the kitchen cabinet.

I don't eat "snacks." I eat at least 5 times a day (with a limit of about 1800 calories), but it's always more substantial than what most people think of a typical snack--like reduced-sugar oatmeal, a sandwich, a frozen meal, creamy soup, etc. I find a packet of 120-calorie oatmeal much more satisfying and longer-lasting in my stomach than a little pouch of wannabe junk food (I say "wannabe" because, although they are pretty good, I don't think I've ever had a 100-calorie snack that actually tasted exactly the same as the real thing ;) Granted, I have not tried every variety, so some of the new ones may be better).

But, if you're not like me and eating junk every day doesn't make you just crave more junk, and you can actually eat just 1 packet at a time, then they are good for portion control.

nelie
01-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Well I also think there is something else to consider in that if you stop eating junk, then your body will stop craving junk. If you really think you need to slow down rather than go cold turkey and the 100 calorie packs help, then I think they are doing their job. Since sugar causes sugar cravings, avoiding items with added sugar is really key for me. I do eat dark chocolate which has some sugar in it but I also usually eat it at the end of the day when I'm done eating. I like portion control and I use portion control but I also try to clean up my diet as much as possible. Even with the popcorn packs, I am pretty careful of the ingredients when I buy them and I probably eat one once every other week.

Meg
01-28-2007, 11:54 AM
One other thought ... if I put a 100 calorie pack into my daily meal plan, then I have to take something else out to make room for it. I don't get to eat a lot of calories for maintenance, so what should I get rid of? My apple? Yogurt? Egg whites? Veggies? Salmon? It's really hard for me to justify trading healthy food for unhealthy and that's what I'd have to do to fit one in. :)

Mrs Quadcrew
01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
I am with Nelie and Meg and Jilly - once I detoxed my body of sugar (all kinds - real and artificial) I no longer crave it. I feel much better, and everything just "clicks" for me now. I would much rather have 100 calories of something good for my body now. (berries, carrots with some hummus dip, nonfat plain yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in) I agree 100% if you remove the junk from your diet, you no longer want it. I am in control of my eating for the very first time in my life, and I LOVE IT!

LisaMarie71
01-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Well I also think there is something else to consider in that if you stop eating junk, then your body will stop craving junk.

I think that's absolutely true, but I've always found it unrealistic for me to think I'll never eat junk food again in my life. I'm not saying I want junk food every day, because that's obviously not healthy, but I want to be able to eat a small portion of things I like and be satisfied with it, and I guess I'm lucky because I've found that pretty easy to do so far. For me, if what I really want is a chocolate cookie, I don't care how many apples or bananas I eat to get a sweet taste, I won't be satisified until I get a bit of a chocolate cookie. So instead of eating tons of fruit, (of course I know it's healthy and I do eat it), and ending up eating 300 calories worth or something because I keep trying to satisfy that sweet tooth, I'll have a 100-calorie snack because that's what I want. If my taste buds aren't happy, I'll go back to my old ways. Luckily, what I crave is often a piece of fruit anyway, especially a little while after a workout.

As long as you're fulfilling your body's nutritional needs in a healthy way most of the time, I think the portion-controlled snacks are a great way for you to feel like you're not forced to give things up cold turkey. It's wonderful that some of you are strong enough to do that, but every time I've tried it in my past it backfired. I just think it's good to advise people to ease into a healthier eating plan by working on portion control first instead of telling them some things are off limits forever. That sometimes makes people feel like it's kind of a hopeless endeavor. Every time I see that advice, I worry that it's turning someone off in the way it always did me, before I accepted that it's ok to do it in my own way. You wouldn't tell someone to try to run 5 miles on their first day of exercise -- they would ease into it by starting with short walks and moving up for months and months. Changing eating habits is easier when it's a progression too, instead of all-or-nothing.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I definatley am not one to tell anyone to do it any particular way. I just wanted to let them know that for ME it was easier to cut it all out - IF I wanted somthing, I would eat it, believe me. I truely believe that by NOT eating any of it, it has made my cravings for it dissipate. (which to me was a miracle!)

Each person has to do what feels right for them - I am just a believer (and it works VERY well for me, and others too, obviously!) that cutting the junk out does have merit too.

Anyone who wants to eat those things can! I choose not to.

jillybean720
01-28-2007, 02:48 PM
I think that's absolutely true, but I've always found it unrealistic for me to think I'll never eat junk food again in my life.
I don't think anyone suggested that anyone give up junk 100% for the rest of their lives. That's just unrealistic, and very few people would actually be able to stick to it (although I know there are a handful here on 3FC who have literally been junk-free for years--Lord knows how they can do it, but power to them :dizzy: ). It just seems to me that the 100 calorie packs are so convenient and non-threatening that they do become an everyday thing for most people, not just an as-needed treat.

For me, Meg makes a great point, too. I'm sure I eat more calories in a day than she does, but I would sure rather have something that will keep me filled up longer than some crackers or chips when I'm allocating my calories for the day. I'm not willing to give up half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, an orange, a cup of thick hot soup, the cheese on my ham sandwich, the reduced-fat bacon on my chicken dinner, or anything else that packs in some protein and nutrients. Not on a regular basis, anyway--when I need a sweet treat (be it once a week or once a month), I get something REALLY worthwhile. To me, if I need to indulge, it will be with a slice of restaurant cheesecake, carrot cake with cream cheese icing, a gourmet white chocolate macadamia nut cookie, a frozen treat (ice cream or milkshake or something), or something equally decadent. A once-a-week sweet treat of up to 500 calories (and most are not that much--I have yet to find a 500-calorie cookie ;) ) still amounts to less than a 100-calorie pack 7 times a week.

I'm not trying to argue--just trying to explain that even though some of us don't eat the 100-calorie packs doesn't mean we're against ever having junk food again in life :^:

But, as I said before, if eating small amounts of junk regularly does not cause additional cravings for you and you are able to truly control your portions, then you are not like me, and these packs might be helpful.

nelie
01-28-2007, 03:01 PM
I just think it's good to advise people to ease into a healthier eating plan by working on portion control first instead of telling them some things are off limits forever. That sometimes makes people feel like it's kind of a hopeless endeavor. Every time I see that advice, I worry that it's turning someone off in the way it always did me, before I accepted that it's ok to do it in my own way.

My advice to anyone starting out is to start slowly. Slowly clean up your eat, slowly add in exercise and gradually improve. You don't have to eat perfect or exercise perfect, you just have to eat and exercise better.

One problem with junk food is that it tends to make you crave junk food which can be counterproductive to better eating. To me, it doesn't matter if it is just 100 calories, because for me 100 calories of junk can easily turn into many times that.

And it doesn't have to be forever either. For me, going cold turkey at first was pretty good. One of my vices was ice cream. I gave it up for many months and the lbs shed away. Losing the weight was very motivating and kept me going. Eventually I wanted to try to add some form of ice cream back into my life. I tried switching to low fat/calorie ice cream bars but that didn't work because I'd eat the whole box. Now if I want ice cream, I go to McDonalds and get a cup of ice cream and eat half. It fulfills the craving, is pretty low calorie (less than 100) and means I don't have to have it sitting at home calling to me. I can also count on my fingers how many times I've done this because it is a rarity.

SuchAPrettyFace
01-28-2007, 04:44 PM
I've had both the Cheese Nips & the Pringles. They only made me crave more, so I do not purchase them anymore.

If they work for someone else, hallelujah!

rockinrobin
01-28-2007, 04:45 PM
For me and this is for me only, since I'm the only one that I have control over, and I'm living in the only body I've ever had,I had to start with my guns drawn, full speed ahead. I had to stop all junk food cold turkey. For me it really was all or nothing. I had to get a grip on my control issues and my poor choice of foods. All or nothing was the method that I chose. I wouldn't for one minute advise anyone to do the same. I would advise people to find what works for them. Or at least find what they think will work for them. This weightloss stuff is not written in stone. It can be changed and tweaked as you go along. I think people need to be open to the fact that what they first try out might not work for them and that they will indeed have to change things as they go along. And that the need to change things around because they have not worked is not a sign of failure. One can learn from their miscues and move on. Try something else. Through trial and error hopefully everyone can find what does indeed work for them.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-28-2007, 05:15 PM
If this is indeed a lifestyle change and not just a diet...then, I have to ask.."How am I going to eat for my life from now on?" No, I will not give up the occasional treat even if they are not the healthiest foods for my body. I enjoy sweets and I will work them back into my eating plan one day in the future. For now, I have not learned the self control. I have not learned how to deal with the feelings and emotions that lead to me overeating sweets. For now, they stay out of the house.

SuchAPrettyFace
01-28-2007, 05:32 PM
If this is indeed a lifestyle change and not just a diet...then, I have to ask.."How am I going to eat for my life from now on?" No, I will not give up the occasional treat even if they are not the healthiest foods for my body. I enjoy sweets and I will work them back into my eating plan one day in the future. For now, I have not learned the self control. I have not learned how to deal with the feelings and emotions that lead to me overeating sweets. For now, they stay out of the house.This is exactly how I feel about the salty snacks. Since I can't be trusted around them, I remove them from the equation. It's just easier, for now.

Charbar
01-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Eventually I wanted to try to add some form of ice cream back into my life. I tried switching to low fat/calorie ice cream bars but that didn't work because I'd eat the whole box. Now if I want ice cream, I go to McDonalds and get a cup of ice cream and eat half. It fulfills the craving, is pretty low calorie (less than 100) and means I don't have to have it sitting at home calling to me. I can also count on my fingers how many times I've done this because it is a rarity.

Good for you!!
That's an excellent idea! Make it an event when you treat yourself. I've never been crazy over ice-cream. We all have our "red light foods" Like, SAPF mine are salty foods. Just look at my fitday.com I maintain calories - but never sodium!