Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 400/332/200

Height: 5'9"

Default WLS in July 99

I had WLS in July 99 and lost 100 lbs and I was excited and happy thinking it would continue since I weighed in at 400 lbs... but it stopped even with exercise and watching what I was eating. I had complications 6 months after my first surgery. I had an Open RNY. I ended up with a twisted intestine that wouldn't resolve so a second surgery had to be done. Then in May of 2001 I had another surgery as one of the edge of my pouch became undone, so I had another surgery to repair this problem and I lost 5 lbs. I obviously gained that back. I have a real fear of gaining ALL my weight back. I am here to seek and give support.
just a girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi JAG & Congratulations on your WL !!!!

Wow, you've had some rough time, I'm so sorry, but it looks like your ready to start again and what a great place to do so, right here w/the 3FC's.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #3  

Thank you so very much for the welcome.... I did have a tough start. I hopefully am back on track now. I started the day with a bowl of small raisin bran cereal, and I am still full and don't want to eat lunch now. I am a snacker which is what has lead to the weight gain. Anyhow I made it today for my first 25 minute walk. I am proud of myself since I hate exercise.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

good for you, girlfriend! you're off to a great start. just a suggestion - make sure you get enough protein!

welcome welcome welcome!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #5  

I do work on keeping protein first. Although I love my carbo's, something I am trying to eat less of.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I have trouble with various foods. Sometimes they like me and sometimes they don't and I lose them. It is always protein, and veggies. I never have trouble with carbs or sugar. It really pisses me off that I can eat sugar and NOTHING happens.. sorry just my little rant there.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Ditto's on the carb/sugars, I can eat them and they go down (past the band) with NO problem what so ever... WTH???
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/179/135

Height: 5'6"

Hi JAG!

I'm sorry you've had such a rough time. My suggestions would be to stay far away from the sugars and the processed carbs. Just because you can eat them, doens't mean that you should. Opt for whole grains instead of the white stuff and steer clear of the sweets.
It's so important that you get your protein in each day, as well as your water. Work on those two things and it won't leave any room for the sweets and carbs.
Remember, protein first and NO GRAZING.
I'm glad you're here and I look forward to getting to know you.
You can do it!!!!!!!!!!
RoseWaddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #8  

Are you exercising at this time? If you aren't doing it regularly, now is the time to start! Exercise, combined with correct eating, can really get you back on track.

It's important to be consistant. Find an activity you can commit yourself to doing and do it regularly. I began my exercise program by taking daily walks about 12 years ago. Now I have the fitness bug and wouldn't miss my workouts for anything short of illness! I have maintained a healthy weight for 10 years now, and I attribute my success to my exercise habit.

Like with any weight loss program, commitment is the key to WLS success. The surgery itself is only the first step in a lifelong journey.

Best wishes to you as you renew your commitment!
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:47 PM   #9  

Thanks for all your kind words of support. I am working towards eating healthier and cutting the carbs way back. Eating more fruits and veggies. If I do have carbs as I did last night it was a very small amount.

I recently have just started exercising. I gotta tell ya I hate it. I am doing it but I really don't care for exercising. I hate getting hot and sweaty, but I am execising anyways. I am starting out at three times a week and will work up from there.

Leenie it sucks being able to just down the sugars and carbs with out problem. It really sucks that I have a harder time keeping down the things that are healthier for me.. I never know when I will be able to keep it or not.