South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #1  

Default Lupine beans

Any familiar with these odd little legumes? I found a package at Whole Foods, a product called "Aisha's Termis." I thought they'd be an interesting alternative to edamame and chickpeas

According to the package, a half-cup has 110 calories, 11 grams of protein and 19 grams of dietary fiber. 19!

However, I Googled lupine beans and found a couple reports on potential lupine poisoning. So, you can understand my confusion -- any thoughts?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:29 AM   #2  
it's always something

Interesting!

I found this which may be of help
http://www.innvista.com/health/foods...les/lupini.htm
Quote:
Lupini beans are actually members of the pea family and are grown for their seeds and their flowers. They are flat, coin-shaped, yellow-brown seeds that have a small, round hole at one end. They are commonly purchased cooked or pickled in jars. They are enjoyed as a snack in Lebanon, Italy, Spain, and Portugal, where they are called tremocos. To serve the lupini, drain the liquid from the jar and place them in a bowl. As they are eaten, the inner bean is sucked from the skins and the skins discarded. The seeds of certain species are toxic and bitter when fresh. These are treated by first parboiling, then boiling or roasting. In spite of the lengthy time required to make them edible, they have been part of the Old World diet for more than 2,000 years. Some varieties are now grown to be used without preliminary preparation. The variety called tarwi has a high protein content.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #3  

Great, thank you, Suzanne! I guess I don't need to worry about them poisoning me. Surely, packaged lupines are going to be prepared properly.

Well, I'd encourage SBD chicks to check them out. They are crunchier than chickpeas, with a milder flavor. I'm actually going to season them up and see if they'll roast like chickpeas!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

How very interesting I found your post...Lupine Beans.

I have never heard of them...You say they are crunchier then Chickpeas...How do you cook them?

I wonder if they are also from the beautiful Lupine flowers grown around Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island?
Closed Thread