South Beach Diet - Lupine beans

View Full Version : Lupine beans

SunLit
01-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Any familiar with these odd little legumes? I found a package at Whole Foods, a product called "Aisha's Termis." I thought they'd be an interesting alternative to edamame and chickpeas

According to the package, a half-cup has 110 calories, 11 grams of protein and 19 grams of dietary fiber. 19!

However, I Googled lupine beans and found a couple reports on potential lupine poisoning. So, you can understand my confusion -- any thoughts?

Suzanne 3FC
01-25-2007, 01:29 AM
Interesting!

I found this which may be of help
http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/vegetables/lupini.htm
Lupini beans are actually members of the pea family and are grown for their seeds and their flowers. They are flat, coin-shaped, yellow-brown seeds that have a small, round hole at one end. They are commonly purchased cooked or pickled in jars. They are enjoyed as a snack in Lebanon, Italy, Spain, and Portugal, where they are called tremocos. To serve the lupini, drain the liquid from the jar and place them in a bowl. As they are eaten, the inner bean is sucked from the skins and the skins discarded. The seeds of certain species are toxic and bitter when fresh. These are treated by first parboiling, then boiling or roasting. In spite of the lengthy time required to make them edible, they have been part of the Old World diet for more than 2,000 years. Some varieties are now grown to be used without preliminary preparation. The variety called tarwi has a high protein content.

SunLit
01-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Great, thank you, Suzanne! I guess I don't need to worry about them poisoning me. Surely, packaged lupines are going to be prepared properly.

Well, I'd encourage SBD chicks to check them out. They are crunchier than chickpeas, with a milder flavor. I'm actually going to season them up and see if they'll roast like chickpeas!

Bionic Beach Babe
01-25-2007, 02:31 PM
How very interesting I found your post...Lupine Beans.

I have never heard of them...You say they are crunchier then Chickpeas...How do you cook them?

I wonder if they are also from the beautiful Lupine flowers grown around Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island?