UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/233/196

Height: 5'9''

Default Gillian McKeith - You Are What You Eat?

What do you guys make of her?!

I know she's not a 'real' doctor - she bought her qualifications off the internet BUT sometimes she does make sense, but mainly it's normal common sense i.e. lay off the burgers, eat fruit and do some exercise

Howver the end results are pretty impressive and she does have some interesting recipes, even if one that I tried went disastorously wrong

But, if I'm being honest (and I'm disgusted at myself) when she shows people the table full of all the unhealthy food that the person has been eating, I sometimes think...yum

Hands up, does anyone else look at the table and just feel hungry?!
Zippy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #2  

Not on every episode, but one time they piled the table with all the sweet pastry food this one lady had and I thought "I could go for that right now!"
I think her ideas are sound -- eating whole foods and such.

I love that show. I think it's really gross at times, though, which makes it a lot different than other shows of its kind (IMO). There was one though, and the people she was helping used an inch of oil in the bottom of their pan to fry things, it was like everything they made was deep fried -- I did NOT want to sample their food.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:07 AM   #3  

Actually no. It always looks so beige - lack of colourful veg. Even when the chocolate lady was on, for some reason I did not even then think OOOh chocolate!. I suppose cos I love fruit and veg so much. I love it when she shows them the 'good' table full of vegs and fruit. HOwever, just in case you think I am saintly, I have over 5 st to lose and this morning had a mushroom puff and a latte for brekkie! I actually have to stock up on fruit.

The trouble is at the moment the fruit around is not very inspiring. I have some little oranges but the rest of the fruit is a bit bleh. I guess most i s out of season and when it gets here is not ripe. However I do love the blueberries and grapes so must get some today. Oh and nanas.

Whatever people think of her style and whether she is qualified or not she does get results. I am particularly shocked at those people (not all kids) who never eat veg. I must admit sometimes I have the cooked brekkie at work - 2 hash browns, tinned tomatoes, beans, scrambled egg and always after I feel a bit bleh - dunno why I do it! I don't really enjoy fatty or fried food but it does not me eating it, does it??!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

The food never really appeals, I listen to what they're eating and think that I could probably come up with a plan that would help them lose weight - I mean, last night one woman ate a loaf of bread a day and the other ate three choc ices a day or something like that, it doesn't take a genius to work out that more fruit and veg and some exercise is going to work miracles with such a nutritionally lacking starting point. I'm not saying that I never eat any of the things on the tables, but I do feel like I'd be ill if I was forced to eat everything on it and nothing else.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #5  

I think the point is that these people are quite extreme in their (non) diet so a clean sweep a la McKeith can only be a good thing!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #6  

I love watching any programmes to do with losing weight - they always motivate me when I see the before and after shots. I haven't watched last nights episode but I have taped it to watch later.
cherrycupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #7  

I LOVE watching YAWYE! It's a fantastic show and very motivating.

However, stay away from her website. Don't get suckered into paying for a membership like I did. You get nothing more than what you see as a non-member except access to a forum similar to this one. And it's a pain in the rear trying to cancel! I had to try 5x and threaten a lawsuit! And I'm not the only one who had that same issue.
simone1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #8  

Quote:
However, stay away from her website. Don't get suckered into paying for a membership like I did. You get nothing more than what you see as a non-member except access to a forum similar to this one. And it's a pain in the rear trying to cancel! I had to try 5x and threaten a lawsuit! And I'm not the only one who had that same issue.
Oh good another reason to dislike her!

I'm not watching this series, the whole alarm on the fridge thing like in the dog show (It's Me or the Dog) in the trailer put me off.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #9  

I don't look at her website but I look at the channel 4 community one - just scroll down to You ae what you eat. Mind you I don't think there are any recipes or anything. Just people's points of view. Sometimes the people on the shows contribute to the site (the Channel 4 one).
Old 01-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #10  

I like watching the show, I'm a sucker for watching things like that when people make such big changes to the way they look, I think it motivates me a bit more. She does well at getting then into shape, but is it just me....or does Gillian herself look incredibly unhealthy?? Her face is so gaunt that I just want to feed her up!
bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 260/233/196

Height: 5'9''

There's no doubt about it, the table with all the veg on looks MUCH better, but before they show that, I somtimes feel hungry looking at the first table

The bit that puts me off the bad food the most, is the close ups of them eating it...with grease pouring down the persons chin *shudders*

Plus those big displays she makes, like the other nights coffin full of ice cream, is just yucky That puts me off too.
Zippy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #12  

Some of the things she gets them to make and they practically gag on looks so tasty to me. I wish someone would give me a meal plan and explain to me how to make delicious soups that were healthy.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #13  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I watched the first few episodes of the first series and I even bought the book.

I agree that the diet she wants everyone to eat is okay but her 'holier than thou' attitude really irritates me. These people obviously know their diets could do with improvement and have asked for help otherwise she wouldn't be there making a programme about them - so why humiliate them? I know its because its supposed to make 'good television' - but it makes me feel so uncomfortable that I change channels.

The ritual humilitation seems to be part of all these programmes. Of all of those diet type programmes I prefer Diet Doctors (by far the most sensible diet/exercise plan) but even they go in for the stupid humiliation thing. Sometimes they only seem happy when they've managed to reduce the poor victim to tears.

As for the food... well, I eat pretty much the replacement diet anyway so the 'bad' food doesn't really appeal.

Except for cheese.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #14  

A cheese eater huh? I am telling Gillian! She will be round your house tonight!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #15  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I'm not having that woman here - she's got strange bathroom habits. (Does she still look at the victim's poo - or has she given that up?)

On the subject of poo - am I the only one that's got the Diet Doctors' book? Their chapter on that particular topic makes me giggle - its the illustration wot does it .....
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote