Weight Loss Support - Is this happening to anyone else?

View Full Version : Is this happening to anyone else?

redlight
01-22-2007, 07:33 PM
After losing weight, I notice that I'm more easily cold. I guess its cause I have less padding for insulation.

nelie
01-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Yup, it is pretty common. Your body will adjust though to your new weight.

Heather
01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
I hope I adjust soon! My feet are always so cold -- and I now "double-sock"!

Then again, I'd rather have cold feet at this weight than gain back the 115 pounds I lost!!

almostheaven
01-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Same here. I used to use fans all the time, my desk at work, by my bed, and one on my desk at home. I was always keeping them going and too hot. These days, I'd prefer a heater at each of those locations. LOL I have to keep socks on, and often my plus house slippers too. And head to the bathroom and stick the hands under hot water...it feels sooooooo good. ;)

futuresurferchick
01-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah I definitely have this problem.

Also, I went swimming this weekend and it's a lot harder to float now. :lol:

tanya1979
01-22-2007, 09:04 PM
This is so true, I am definitely colder then I used to be. I was just thinking about that today and then I get on here and there is a new post about it, lol.
Isn't it funny how that works. We are all truly going through it together. Everyday I get on 3FC.com and I find people who are asking the same questions that I am, it's comforting:hug:

jtammy
01-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Another yes, I don't think I've been warm since October, and I live in Mississippi! I don't know how you guys further north deal with it!

futuresurferchick
01-22-2007, 09:25 PM
I live in Mississippi! I don't know how you guys further north deal with it!

Well, we're used to it being colder to begin with ;) and I can't speak for anyone else but I like to complain about the weather a lot!

Glory87
01-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Much much colder than I used to be. Air conditioned movie theatres and the freezer section of the grocery store are almost painful. I keep an extra sweater in my car at all times.

train
01-22-2007, 09:48 PM
yeah, movie theatres are the worst!! i have to carry a beanie around with me. i'm always cold..and didn't use to be. i feel you!

Cheryl14
01-22-2007, 09:58 PM
I live up north, so I am used to wearing plenty of layers to keep warm in the winter. I HAVE noticed that it has taken even MORE layers over the last several years, though, to really keep me comfortable.

What I also noticed is that during the summer I am not as uncomfortable as I used to be. Losing weight makes summer heat a lot more bearable!:)

Cheryl

almostheaven
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Much much colder than I used to be. Air conditioned movie theatres and the freezer section of the grocery store are almost painful. I keep an extra sweater in my car at all times.
Oh yeah. I've noticed that too. The freezer section...

I used to LOVE that section, have even been known to hang out with my head in a freezer pretending to browse selections just to cool down. Now I get in and get out quickly.

StarryMom
01-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Oh yes same here! I will be wearing a jacket at work and crank the heat up and I'm STILL freezing. I am actually hoping this weird body trend lasts through the summer to save on a/c bills lol

redlight
01-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I was surprised that 20 pounds made such a difference.

ennay
01-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Well, its partly insulation and partly hormones. Excess fat throws your hormones all out of whack. Losing weight shifts them around.

kierr
01-23-2007, 08:46 AM
What a timely question! Just last night I tossed and turned trying to sleep with icicle toes. I put my slippers on over my socks and went to bed. haha! :) I know the feeling!

rockinrobin
01-23-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm such a nut that I was actually looking forward to the day when I would get colder. To me it was a sign of a thinner person. Well, my wish came true. And I can't seem to warm up. I wonder how this summer is going to be, now that's where the being colder could be a big plus. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

boaterswife
01-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Yup, me too! I'm cold all the time. I've even started wearing a zip up sweatshirt jacket in the house!!!

MissH
01-23-2007, 10:19 AM
I think it has much to do with calorie consumption. When I eat like mad, I am warm all the time. When I restrict calories, I get colder, AND I pee a LOT more! What is up with THAT?? :dizzy:

MileHighMama
01-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Yes, I definitely notice that I'm a lot colder now. I think it has more to do with taking in fewer calories, though. All your energy is going towards basic bodily functions and isn't heating you up as much. Does that make sense? I'm not sure about how excess fat can keep you warm becasue it can get cold/hot too.
Pam

willmakeit
01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
I have ice cold feet all the time since I lost weight! I got my thyroid and blood work done for anemia etc... and everything was good!

futuresurferchick
01-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure about how excess fat can keep you warm becasue it can get cold/hot too.
Pam

I see what you're saying but if you think about mammals that exist in cold temps like whales, seals, etc... a lot of them have a lot of fat (blubber) which probably functions to keep them warm.

MileHighMama
01-23-2007, 01:30 PM
I see what you're saying but if you think about mammals that exist in cold temps like whales, seals, etc... a lot of them have a lot of fat (blubber) which probably functions to keep them warm.

So true! I do notice that I'm not cold, though, when I have a day of eating way too much, like yesterday when I had cookies after lunch and then decided to have pizza for dinner and then a piece of carrot cake on top of that! I definitely was not cold when I was laying on the couch watching TV last night! I'm back on track today and feeling cold again!

Pam

improbable
01-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Haha, I have exactly the same problem - and my teeth start to chatter really easily, so it'll be like 50 degrees and my teeth start chattering away... Oh New England, oh body.

almostheaven
01-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Haha, I have exactly the same problem - and my teeth start to chatter really easily, so it'll be like 50 degrees and my teeth start chattering away... Oh New England, oh body.
LOL Better you than me. I'm glad to be shed of NH winter. :D

sotypical
01-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I've always been cold and now I am even colder... it sucks!

mandalinn82
01-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Its both your metabolism burning all of the calories in your body (eat less calories, less heat generated, you're colder) and having less insulation to keep in the heat your body does produce.

I'm cold ALL THE TIME, now. Sometimes (especially on days where I don't eat as much, and my gym rest days) I get so cold it takes like 4 blankets to get me to an OK temperature. I take a hot bath almost every night just to get myself warmed up, then stand in my towel in front of the heater vent.