100 lb. Club - Can someone help me out with Steel Cut Oatmeal?

Casey4
01-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Okay, what is the easiest way to prepare it--store top or crock pot? Do you eat it plain or what do you add? I am staying away from sugar. I want to eat this for breakfast most mornings. TIA

Kathy

alinnell
01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Crock pot--hands down! With the stove top method, you have to watch it or it'll boil over and you'll have a huge mess! I also tried with a rice cooker, but that was just as messy.

HottieInHiding
01-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Post that method please - I haven't tried it! I love it but never remember to make it ahead of time and I don't want to wait inthe morning.

I add Splenda and SF maple syrup!

Meg
01-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I vote for the microwave. Fast and nothing to clean up - just be sure to use a large enough bowl because it boils up quite a bit while it's cooking.

I buy Bob's Red Mill brand and cook one serving for 4 1/2 minutes. I eat it with Splenda and cinnamon . :T

hildegirl
01-22-2007, 03:00 PM
I made it last week for the first time..on the stovetop...seemed to take forever! I like the crockpot idea..

and I put a little bit of honey over the top somedays; also have used fruit as a sweetener. I do miss the brown sugar!

alinnell
01-22-2007, 03:00 PM
1 cup steel cut oats and about 4 cups of water, cook on low for 6-8 hours. Check the box of oats, you may want to add a little salt. You can also add sweetners or cinnamon, but that can be stirred in once it is cooked.

nelie
01-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I vote for Rice Cooker! I've cooked them on the stove, crockpot and rice cooker. I have to say the rice cooker does the best job. All you need to do is put the water and oatmeal in the rice cooker, let it sit for 7 hours or so, then put the rice cooker on. In 30 minutes, you have nice steel cut oats.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-22-2007, 03:37 PM
I am the lone ranger here. I prefer them cooked on top of the stove. I tried to crockpot method, and they get too mushy for my taste. I like for them to have a "bite" to them, and I get that by cooking them 15 minutes on the stove top. I use a 2 qt. pan and I make 4 servings at one time, and refrigerate the leftovers. I just reheat them in the microwave the next 3 days!

Kamike
01-23-2007, 01:22 AM
If you want speed, Trader Joe's sells pre-cooked frozen steel-cut oatmeal. It's expensive; a little under $2 for 2 servings. It does have a little sugar though. But all you have to do is put it in the microwave for 3 minutes. I love it.

RitzyFritz
01-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Can you tell me what the difference is? I just buy Quick or Old Fashion at the grocery store. What is the difference between them and the steel-cut? (blush, blush)

We eat oatmeal every morning and I love the crockpot idea; however, does it get mushy with this method?

Thanks!!

nelie
01-23-2007, 08:50 AM
The rice cooker method doesn't allow them to get mushy. I find them a bit more meatier in the rice cooker.

For me, I find steel cut oats more satisfying and they fill me up longer.

This is from wikipedia:

Steel-cut oats are whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into only two or three pieces. They are golden in colour and resemble small rice pieces.

Steel-cut oats are also known as coarse-cut oats, pinhead oats, Scotch oats, or Irish oats.

In comparison, the other main variety, rolled oats, are flake oats that have been steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted.

Because the steel-cut oats are more "natural" with less pre-processing, they may be more nutritious than the more popular rolled oats. Steel-cut oats are nuttier, more flavorful, and retain a chewier texture than rolled oats. Like most whole grains, steel-cut oats take much longer to cook than pre-processed oats.

Many people feel that steel-cut oats provide better flavour than rolled oats due to the lack of preprocessing. Usually steel-cut oats are not preprocessed then dried. They are often packaged in a vacuum tight container (like a coffee can) to preserve freshness.

RitzyFritz
01-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Cool!! I am definitely going to be getting these. Do you find them in regular grocery stores? I know the one I shop (very large store I might add) does not carry them. Are these in specialty stores only?

I'm going to have to buy me another rice cooker. I had one and didn't use it (before dieting) and sold it in a garage sale for $3 (almost brand new)!!

Thanks a million!

Casey4
01-23-2007, 09:49 AM
:D :D
Okay, so last night before bed I set up the rice cooker with 1 c steel oats and 4 c water, left it over night and then turned it on before I left to take the kids to school. I got home and they smelled soooooo good. As I walked in the kitchen I saw the rice cooker was possessed! There was oatmeat and water bubbling out all over the counter, down the cabinet and into a puddle on the floor where the dog was quite happily licking up the results. I mopped up and the rice cooker finished. I did debate eating it because I worried too much water was lost. However, I ate a cup with a splash of skim milk, a fist full of berries and six walnuts. It was absolutely delicious. So although the rice cooker method was a bit of a bust I am not going to give up on this yummy idea and will try stove-top or crockpot next. Thank you for all your help!

RitzyFritz
01-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Oh man! Sorry to hear this happened to you, Casey!

Okay, nelie - we need your help. What brand of rice cooker do you have? Is it larger capacity or something? I want to go buy another one but wanted to see what you are using to hopefully prevent these boil-overs! LOL!! Thanks!

Casey4
01-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I googled "cooking steel cut oatmeal" and this is what I am going to try tonight.
Bring 4 cups water to a boil, remove from heat.
Add 1 cup steel oats and cover
Leave until morning and then reheat 9-12min
I think I'll just reheat a single serving in the microwave

Certainly sounds easy enough. I report back tomorrow!:)

Kathy

nelie
01-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I have a regular rice cooker although it can do 10? cups of rice. I guess that is a pretty good size. I think you need a little salt to it to help prevent bubble over. That is so strange though!

Ritzy, I've seen it in regular grocery stores but I buy mine in bulk from Whole Foods.

oldwriter
01-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Cool idea. I'll look for them next payday.

menina25
01-23-2007, 06:44 PM
I set up 1/2 cup of steel cut oats in 1 1/2 cups of water about 6 P.M. The next morning I bring the mixture to a boil and cook for five minutes stirring occasionally while I make the coffee. I also add 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 TBL of Splenda, a 1/2 tsp of cardamon. They are delicious.

RitzyFritz
01-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Oh, Kathy, that does sound easy! Thanks for the info, and I look forward to hearing about your results. I am going to have to find me some steel cut oats for sure! Sounds really close to what Menina describes above. Thanks to you both! This is great!

Okay, thanks, Nelie! I will be on the lookout! I'm getting very anxious to try these!

Casey4
01-24-2007, 10:56 AM
I put it on last night. This morning it still had a lot of water on top. I expected the water to be absorbed by the oatmeat. So I heated it on the stove at a low boil for about 15 minutes. It was still a bit watery, but tasted good. I let the rest cool before storing it in the fridge and it had thickened up. So I would deem it a success. I ate it with 6 crumbled walnut halves and a fistful of berries. That is all it needed.

RitzyFritz
01-25-2007, 03:29 PM
I found the below info today. It was very helpful to me; thought I would pass it along for others. Enjoy!

Microwave - Mix 1/2 cup of steel cut oats with 2 cups of water in an 8 cup bowl (the size of the bowl is important as it must be large enough to allow the oats to bubble up without spilling over). Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and run at full power for 5 minutes. Stir and finish cooking for another 5 minutes (since microwaves vary in size and power, cooking times may need to be adjusted for different models).

Sleep Tight - Soak overnight - Before going to bed, boil four cups of water in a pot, turn off the heat and add one cup of oatmeal. Cover the pot and leave overnight. In the morning cook over a low flame for 9-12 mins.

Cut Corners - Place the oats, natural or pre-toasted in a food processor. A few turns of the metal blade will break up the grains and reduce the cooking time by at least 5 minutes.

Be Prepared - One trick is to prepare five days worth of oatmeal in advance. This can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator and used as required. To reheat, use a microwave - heat on high for 2-3 minutes and then enjoy!

Pre-Toast - Place the steel-cut oats in a preheated 300 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes. Return the oats to a tightly covered container, storing in a cool place. Toasted oats cook in half the time.

Cook under Pressure! - When the pressure is on for a quick bowl of oatmeal - Rely on your pressure cooker. In approximately 5 minutes, pre-toasted steel-cuts will be cooked to perfection. All you need is 1 cup of pre-toasted steel-cuts, 3 1/2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon unsalted butter. Be sure to allow the pressure to release slowly according to the manufacturer's directions.

And for those who are concerned about the time, look at this:

In a hurry? Then try McCann's new Quick & Easy (these are steel cut) to get your mornings off to a healthy start. Still full of all the natural goodness of Irish steel cut oats, your daily bowl of oatmeal is now ready to eat in only 5 minutes!

alinnell
01-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I did the overnight method last night and it worked perfectly without a mess and now I have leftovers to reheat.

Clydegirl
01-25-2007, 04:07 PM
I did the overnight method last night and it worked perfectly without a mess and now I have leftovers to reheat.

How many hours did you leave it covered?

alinnell
01-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Gee, I boiled the 4 cups of water while I was making dinner (otherwise I know I'd forget!). I added the oatmeal at about 7:00 PM and covered the pan. I got up at 5:00 AM and started cooking it at about 5:30 AM. So that would be 10 hours or so. I'm sure 6 or 8 is sufficient, though.

SuchAPrettyFace
01-25-2007, 05:14 PM
1 cup steel cut oats and about 4 cups of water, cook on low for 6-8 hours. Check the box of oats, you may want to add a little salt. You can also add sweetners or cinnamon, but that can be stirred in once it is cooked.I got Bob's Red Mill & it says 3 cups water to 1 cup oats. Is that going to be really thick?

CyberGypsy
01-25-2007, 06:24 PM
I saw this and since i cant find them around here ordered online........ I also read the best way to do it above,,,,,I am hping to break 190 this week, yester day was my B day and did well then my son girlfriend made me a huge 5 layer chocolate cake.....when she bought it over I gave her 3/4 of it for my son and her....and have 3 Huge pieces, cut and frozen with only a bite out of on small piece....

Cracking 190 means more to me the Cake??
:dust:

CyberGypsy
01-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I ordered mine one line...no one has it around here

Thank you for placing an order with Netgrocer.com.

Your Order Number Is: 2687140.

We are currently processing your order.
Your account will not be billed until your order is shipped.
For your convenience, we will send an electronic invoice via E-mail as soon as your order has shipped.

Qty Product $/Item Tax Dep. Total
1 John Mc Irish Oatmeal - 28.0 oz 5.79 0.00 0.00 5.79
1 Quaker Steel Cut Oats 24.0 oz 5.75 0.00 0.00 5.75

Order Totals:
--------------------------------
Subtotal: 11.54
Tax: 0.00
Deposit: 0.00
Shipping Fee: 5.99
Estimated Order Total: 17.53

alinnell
01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
I got Bob's Red Mill & it says 3 cups water to 1 cup oats. Is that going to be really thick?

I guess I'd follow the directions on the label. My label said 4 cups (although I do admit I didn't have quite 1 cup of oats but it cooked up just fine).

Cracking 190 means more to me the Cake??

Yes, for many of us, making those goals is MUCH more important than cake!

CyberGypsy
01-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Gee, I boiled the 4 cups of water while I was making dinner (otherwise I know I'd forget!). I added the oatmeal at about 7:00 PM and covered the pan. I got up at 5:00 AM and started cooking it at about 5:30 AM. So that would be 10 hours or so. I'm sure 6 or 8 is sufficient, though.

Did you put them in the fridge, or leave the on the stove top?

CyberGypsy
01-25-2007, 06:33 PM
I guess I'd follow the directions on the label. My label said 4 cups (although I do admit I didn't have quite 1 cup of oats but it cooked up just fine).

Yes, for many of us, making those goals is MUCH more important than

cake!

I am happy that i am now one of them :)

alinnell
01-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Did you put them in the fridge, or leave the on the stove top?

Stovetop. I think if you stuck it in the fridge, it would take longer to cook in the morning.

CyberGypsy
01-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Great, cant wait to it comes :)

Clydegirl
01-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Did the overnight method last night so much easier.

Casey4
01-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I am on my fourth morning eating them and am very happy about that. I used the stove top method and put the leftovers in the fridge. I just warm them up in the microwave and add berries and walnut and about a 1/4 cup of skim milk. I am full until lunch and yesterday I had to remind myself to eat lunch because I just wasn't as hungry! :carrot:

Kathy

CyberGypsy
01-31-2007, 08:17 PM
I just got my order by fed ex....and it amazing....i boiled it 4 cups water, put 1 cup of oatmeal and let it sit all day....... just heat and eat....I am hooked..thanks girls :)

avsfan2
01-31-2007, 08:48 PM
I usually cook mine on the stove top but that's because I'm not a good planner and don't remember to actually put them in a crock pot or soak them overnight!

However, when I do make them I usually add a few drops of liquid Stevia (I recommend this WAY over Splenda which *may* not be as good for you and originally thought...I think the jury is still out but I personally stay away from it) for sweetness and then chop up a few walnuts, add a pinch of cinnamon and then some chopped dried fruit...it's AWESOME! I get this mixed fruit bag from Trader Joes that has dried Goji berries, dried cherries, and dried apricots...or something like that. It's a great mixture and I just chop them up into little bits and mix them throughout. You could use any dried fruit that floats your boat. Definitely helps to add some natural sweetness. Sometimes I add in dried, unsweetened coconut flakes as well. YUMMIE!

CyberGypsy
01-31-2007, 08:50 PM
hummmm coconut have to try that :)

nelie
01-31-2007, 09:54 PM
I posted a savory steel cut oats recipe in the whole foods forum. It includes onions, garlic, vegetable broth, walnuts (or pine nuts) and a little cheese. Let me tell you, it is yummy.

CyberGypsy
01-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Not sure i would like Garlic in my Oatmeal :)

Mrs Quadcrew
01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Instead of Stevia I use Agave Nectar (still a natural sweetner) and no bitter aftertaste. I eat my steel cut oats with a handful of berries, some agave nectar and cinnamon. YUMMM.

nelie
01-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Its actually really good, it is called oat risotto which is basically using steel cut oats in place of rice. It is denser and more filling and definitely yummy.

avsfan2
01-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Instead of Stevia I use Agave Nectar (still a natural sweetner) and no bitter aftertaste. I eat my steel cut oats with a handful of berries, some agave nectar and cinnamon. YUMMM.

Oooh, yes, I also use Agave Nectar sometimes as well. It's always in my pantry now! For some reason, I still choose to use Stevia for my oatmeal...not sure why. Probably because that's what I was doing before I started using Agave. Stevia only has a bitter aftertaste if you use too much of it. Used in the right amount and it tastes wonderful! Sometimes I use raw honey as well. True, raw honey is amazing!

Hmmmm, my mouth is just watering with this thread!