100 lb. Club - So, what's for dinner tonight?

View Full Version : So, what's for dinner tonight?

rockinrobin
01-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi everybody.

I thought I'd throw this idea at you girls. How about we start a daily dinner thread? We can tell each other what we're eating, the recipe if you want, the amount of calories (or appox.), the nutrition value if you'd like. You can give as much or as little details as you like. I know I'm always looking for ideas, and sometimes too much information doesn't stick with me, but perhaps doing it one at a time, something WILL stick.

Tonight's dinner:

Chicken breasts w/spinach and tomato
1 cup mushroom barley soup

Serves 4.

4 - 4oz. boneless chicken breasts, grilled with fresh garlic, onion powder, a little salt and a little pepper.
2 - boxes leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed out - sauteed with Pam and 2 large cloves fresh garlic
4 - plum tomatoes, sliced and broiled

Appox 270 calories per serving, appox. 35 gms protein, 8gms carbs 3.5 gms fiber

I divy up the spinach, put it on 4 plates, the cutlet on top of the spinach, tomatoes on top of the chicken.

I made some mushroom barley soup the other day, so I will probaly have a cup of that as well. The only thing fit day has for mushroom barley soup is canned. It says it's about 75 cals a serving, 12 gms. carbs, 2 gms protein. So who knows what homemade is - probably more.

This is pretty much what I make every Monday. Not always with the soup though.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi Robin -
Sounds like a great idea. I'll be back on to post after hubby and I pick a menu.

DramaQueenLucy
01-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Robin that sounds really good I will have to try it I love spinach.

We are having chicken as well with barbecue for the kids and I like mine with a little Italian dressing on it grilled on the Foreman broccoli 2 boxes drained with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and some garlic. The kids are having egg noodles and I am having a salad with mine.

EnglishMuffin
01-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm having corn tortillas (3) filled with a left over aubergine bake and some salad to go with it. I like having lots of different colours and flavours going on - stops me heading for the cake shop!

LisaMarie71
01-22-2007, 11:57 AM
This is a great idea! My husband and I rarely cook at all because we usually get home late, but we want to start cooking more, so this will give me some great ideas. Tonight we'll probably just do sandwiches (plain turkey on toast for me, with a salad). Last night we marinated chicken breasts in one of those bottle marinades (mesquite) and baked them, and we cooked some red potatoes and frozen seasoned vegetables. Pretty yummy!

boaterswife
01-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Mmmm, tonight will be fish, salad and brown rice with veggies. Here's how I'll make it!

4 oz. fish per person (We like cod or hoki the best). Sprinkly heavily with Old Bay Seasoning on both sides. Saute in skillet in a bit of extra virgin olive oil. WW points works out to 4 points for per serving and gets in one of your healthy oil requirements.

2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, heated through. Mix with 2 cups prepared brown instant rice. 2 points for 3/4 cup serving.

Salad with lots of fresh veggies mixed in....caluclate for any cheese or salad dressing!

Special note: My kiddos have always loved breaded, fried fish. They like it prepared this way just as well, and it's so healthy for them! Also, the fish cooks in just a couple minutes, so I can literally put this entire meal on the table in 15 minutes!

nelie
01-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Black bean, ricotta cheese and spinach enchiladas. Veggies on the side and maybe even more beans. Calories for the enchiladas is about 160, total dinner will be somewhere around 300 calories, maybe less.

NESunshine
01-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Well my dinners are usually pretty boring.... and don't change drastically night to night because quite frankly its quick and easy. Tonight .... hopefully (I just started eating again since I've had the flu) will be grilled Italian chicken breast (thank you Mr. Perdu for selling the individually packaged pre-marinated chicken breasts)in the George foreman, brown rice (I made a batch yesterday) and lots of broccoli.....mmmmm my favorite. If my stomach is feeling iffy later today then I may just stick with chicken noodle soup. Fitday tells me that this is 371 calories, 35g protein & 40 carbs.... I live alone so I'll only make enough for 1. Hopefully I can get some easy dinner ideas from here and mix it up every once and a while!

108tolose
01-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I've been testing out my Rachel Ray cookbook that I got for Christmas. The menus aren't necessary low-cal or low-fat, but they're healthier than I've eaten in the past and we're exercising portion control (which has always been my problem) and I don't make the desserts. I don't like to deprive myself of anything - I don't "diet" - so as long as I eat whatever in moderation, I allow myself to eat anything that I want. I've been eating more veggies than I've eaten in 20 years, at least, and my kids haven't refused anything so far!

All that being said...tonight is Chicken Marsala and Fettucine with a Rosemary gravy.

mandalinn82
01-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Tonight for us is a stirfry with broccoli, bell pepper, carrot, and spinach with some chicken breast in a spicy miso sauce, served over a brown and wild rice blend.

Per Serving:
4oz chicken breast
1 cup broccoli
1 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup red bell pepper
1 cup raw spinach
1/3 cup sliced carrot
2 tbsp spicy stir-fry sauce
1/4 c chicken broth (to thin out the sauce)

Cook rice, stir fry chicken and veggies, wilt in spinach, add in sauce (mixed with chicken broth and a smidge of corn starch to thicken)...serve.

tqvirgo
01-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I am making chicken breasts with roasted red peppers and shaved parmesan. a side of steamed brocolli and cauliflower and a green salad.

HottieInHiding
01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Fish Tacos and Cabbage Slaw

Mahi Mahi marinated in soy, rice wine vinegar, ginger, cilantro, red chili and some splenda. Low Carb Tortillas

Paul Newman's Asian Dressing over Cabbage and Shredded Carrots, slivered almonds sprinkled on top.

Steamed broccoli on the side.

I'll have to update the calories after I make it and add to Fitday. I still need to go to the store and get the dressing. Thanks for the reminder :)

Br00klyn
01-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Whole Wheat Mini Chicken Quesadillas for me!

Seasoned chicken breasts, salsa and tons of sauteed bell peppers! With just a tiny bit of cheddar! Yummy!

wchs2007
01-22-2007, 04:10 PM
lean beef tips ( Cooked in crock pot with 57 sauce and water) After done drain the juice off and add 3 packs of brown gravy mix with 3 cups of water.. serve with whole wheat rice..I drain most of the gravy off but kids and hubby loves the brown gravy.
Green beans and squash on the side.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
We are having homemade enchilada's - 1/2 cup ff refried beans, 2 oz. chicken, green peppers & onions, 2 T. cheddar cheese & 2 T. enchilada sauce made with whole wheat tortilla - and a salad. I already put it into Fitday, but didn't pay attention to how many calories. I will go back and check. I just checked, per serving: 527 calories.

SexyRevealed
01-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I had a wonderful taco salad. DH cooked tacos, but I chose to make a salad instead. 4 oz. of seasoned ground beef, 2 tbsp. shredded taco cheese, 4 tbsp. salsa, and a broken-up taco shell over a bowl of lettuce. Approx. 320 calories and VERY filling. Next time I'll cut back on the cheese to reduce the fat. It was delicious though!

rockinrobin
01-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Some yummy, yummy ideas. Chicken breasts and roasted peppers, great idea. I'm gonna try it. Lots of enchilada/taco/tortilla dinners goiing on.

Sexy, I did almost the identical thing last week, I was making tacos for the family but made mine into a salad, I used chicken instead of beef, on top of shredded lettuce, chopped onion, chopped kirbys and a crumbled up shell. It was really, really good. Adding the salsa can only make it better. I will try it next time. Thanks.

Tonight's dinner:

1 - 3 oz piece of salmon fillet, sprinkled with loads of garlic powder, onion powder and a little salt and pepper. I bake at 350' for 30 mins.

1 plum tomato, sliced and broiled - I then put it on top of the salmon.

About 25 green beans cooked in a little chicken consomme'

Total:
calories - about 210
fat - about 6.5 gms
carbs - about 13 gms
fiber - about 5 gms
protein - about 23.5 gms

Though it is not a lot of calories is is VERY satisfying and delicious and healthy. It also leaves room for a little dessert if I want. Like a 60 calorie sugar free jello pudding with sliced strawberries and a squirt of fat free whipped cream.

Charbar
01-23-2007, 11:48 AM
shameless bump! I want to hear more! :D

SexyRevealed
01-23-2007, 11:55 AM
I agree... Keep them coming! I'm planning my dinners for the next month!

nelie
01-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm having leftovers :) I rarely cook two nights in a row.

DramaQueenLucy
01-23-2007, 12:46 PM
TV dinners over here...youngest son is out with mentor from Church and oldest is to the movies and dinner with friends..so I am on my own..Lean Cuisine here I come

SexyRevealed
01-23-2007, 01:01 PM
I think I'm having a grilled chicken caesar salad. I really like the Ken's Light Caesar dressing.

HottieInHiding
01-23-2007, 04:02 PM
I think we are going to try grilled portobello mushrooms "burgers" - anyone ever done that? Kids are going to have chicken patties but hubby and I are going to do the portobellos. I just want to make sure they turn out, I've had it in a restaurant before but not on my own. Then maybe some roasted potatos and a big salad.

Monkeybabies
01-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I just had portebello pizza today. Set the oven to 450, clean the gills out of the mushroom, coat the mushrooms with 1 tsp of olive oil + chopped garlic. I topped the mushroom with skim mozzerella cheese and tomato with a dash of salt and some italian seasonings. Cook for about 4 minutes or until the cheese melts...and you have a great meal!

Cheryl14
01-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I made stuffed cabbage rolls and mashed potatoes. I use 93/7 lean ground beef, chopped sweet onions, barley, brown rice, a bit of brown sugar and salt and pepper for the filling. I use stewed tomatoes for over the top of the rolls. I usually double wrap my rolls with cabbage to get in more veggies. One roll is 170 calories, and 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes is 160 calories. I had two rolls and 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes for a total of 500 calories. Deelish!!!

Cheryl

RebaR
01-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Tonight, a friend and I hosted a ladies fellowship with our church, we had soups and salads... I made a healthy Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli soup- yum!!! the other ones here seemed pretty healthy... my downfall was the desserts... I had a few bites of 3... ugg!!

Reba

Br00klyn
01-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Tonight, we had wild rice, boneless (very thin) pork loins, with low fat mushroom soup sauce, and garlic sauteed fresh mushrooms! It was yummy!

Tomorrow night is Chicken Bruschetta Bake which is just delish too!

rockinrobin
01-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Chicken Brushetta Bake - sounds good, how do you make it?

Portebllo Pizza sounds really good too.

For tonight it's going to be grilled chicken, sliced and put into a salad with lettuce, kirbys, red peppers and red onion.

Charbar
01-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Last night was steak.. 7 oz of pure red meat!
Tonight homemade pizza - it's not as high caloire as you think. Every Wednesday is homemade pizza night here.

Dana

nelie
01-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Tonight is leftovers again... I love my leftovers. (Leftover veggie enchiladas)

SexyRevealed
01-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Last night ended up a roast beef sandwich on wheat bread. I'll have the caesar salad tonight.

jtammy
01-24-2007, 04:43 PM
I have a "comfort food" casserole that calls for hamburger (93% lean), cabbage, rotel tomatoes, and cheese that I'll be making tonight. For the sides, probably zucchini tots (zucchini misted with olive oil, Ms. dash and parmesan cheese) and a salad.

HottieInHiding
01-24-2007, 05:20 PM
A pork loin roast done in the crock pot. It's a cranberry pepper marinade, but we're cooking it in a raspberry chipotle sauce! Added onions and garlic, then some steamed baby carrots and low-fat mashed potatos on the side. One of our heavier meals, but still on my plan. Hubby has to get his meat and potatoes one night a week at least!

jillybean720
01-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Tonight homemade pizza - it's not as high caloire as you think.
I'm having pizza tonight, too...I'm making it on a Boboli whole-wheat crust. I topped it with barbecue sauce, chunks of chicken breast, cut-up bacon, and reduced-fat cheese. This is my first homemade barbecue chicken pizza, so I have my fingers crossed :D

nicolen
01-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Tonight was steak, with all the fat trimmed of it, baked potato wedges, coleslaw and green salad.

Yum!

Wildfyre
01-25-2007, 02:18 AM
Tonight's dinner was orange juice and green onion marinaded boneless skinless chicken breast tenders that were sauteed with some red onions and pears. With it I did grilled carrots and mushrooms and a big salad with a balsamic vinegarette. I felt like actually spending some time cooking tonight.

nelie
01-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Tonight is crockpot beef stroganoff. The beef stroganoff has tons of veggies in it, so it should be good. We'll also have veggies on the side. Total calories will be somewhere between 300-400.

Charbar
01-25-2007, 10:53 AM
meatloaf, mashed potatoes and broccoli :T:

rockinrobin
01-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Wildfyre that sounds delish!!! So does your beef stroganoff Nelie. 2 things I will definitely be giving a try.

When I make pizza I use a half a pita as my crust. 1/2 so I get a whole circle, not so I get a half moon. I spread on a little marinara and sprinkle on some finely grated cheddar and mozzerella combo. The fine shredding really allows you to use less cheese, it just spreads better. I top it with chopped onions and red peppers. Very good. That and a big salad and it's a great meal.

So for tonight, I think I will make boneless chicken breast w/ sauteed onions, red pepper, carrots, mushrooms and zuchini with fresh garlic. Kind of like a stir fry, but not in a brown sauce.

healthytoad
01-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Last night was baked chicken that got rave reviews!
bone in chicken breasts marinated (just dump it all in a zip lock bag) in italian dressing (feta cheese italian) a little worchester sauce, a little honey, a little pepricka, and lemon juice. It can stay in the fridge all day.. so you can do this the night before or in the morning. Then back at 400 for about 45 mins (test for internal temp of 170) I served it with broccoli steamed in a little water and lemon juice, with just a sprinkle of parmesian cheese.

Tonight is oven fried cat fish and zucchini.

Penney
01-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Tonight was a cheater night - did not feel like cooking so we had two choices:

Quick quesadillas - whole wheat wraps (low-carb/low-fat), with the cheese of your choice and I get the Tyson pre-cooked chicken in different flavors - so there was a choice there as well.

or

Tuna Salad - you could either put it on whole wheat bread or whole wheat wrap.

I had the Tuna Salad on whole wheat bread because I am taking a salad to work tomorrow and I am going to be using the tyson's chicken.

mandalinn82
01-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Mini turkey meatloaves, roasted red potatoes, and grilled zucchini

RebaR
01-25-2007, 09:43 PM
tonight for me it was a small taco salad made with ground venison and baked chips.

Dragonfly7
01-26-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm having a salad tonight.

Charbar
01-26-2007, 09:26 AM
meatloaf last night was yummy! Tonight is pasta!

rockinrobin
01-26-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed your meatloaf charbar. I think it's real important to enjoy what we're eating. I really and truly love everything that I'm eating now. It might take a bit more planning, take out is basically a thing of the past, but the extra effort is most definitely worth it.

Tonight's dinner is one of the few where the whole family always (allright almost always) eats together and it doesn't vary much.

A small bowl of homemade chicken soup.
Roasted chicken breast with carrots and 1 slice of a potato
Cauliflower, string beans and brusel sprouts cooked in some chicken consomme'

I make a whole roasted chicken and add to the pan a couple of extra bottoms, I'm the only one that eats the white meat. Add in sliced potatoes and carrots, tons of spices and onions and water. I cook it in a covered pan and bake it to death, probably for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. It comes out so moist and delicious.

nelie
01-26-2007, 11:16 AM
tonight is leftovers, beef stroganoff :) It was really good last night and I really liked all the carrots and mushrooms in it. We also had green beans on the side and we'll have the same tonight.

mandalinn82
01-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Chicken Fajitas - whole wheat 50 calorie high fiber tortillas, sliced grilled chicken breast marinated in fajita marinade, sliced grilled peppers and onions, "refried" black beans (which basically consist of whole black beans mashed with a fork and blended with a tablespoon of fat free sour cream until they have a refried bean consistency), salsa, olives, and fat free sour cream.

Its my favorite meal (plus high fiber and high protein!) and I haven't had it in a while, so I can't wait.

RebaR
01-26-2007, 07:16 PM
tonight will be meatloaf (made with half ground chuck, half venison), mashed potatoes and asparagus.

Penney
01-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Tonight I had a wrap:

I used some of the Tysons Chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, onion and garlic and some hot sauce- cooked it together put it in a wrap with a little bit of cheese - cooked that until it melted. Very Good!

I ended up taking the tuna salad from last night in for lunch today. No bread for me though.

jenhai
01-26-2007, 11:26 PM
We had tilapia, green peppers and onions, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, and ff cheese all over these great baked tostadas (45cal 0 fat 1gram protein 1 gram fiber). Fish tacos and tostadas are my families favorite. Also we had a spanish rice (not fat added just tomatoes and salsa).

Wildfyre
01-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Lunch was some low-sodium teriyaki and citrus marinaded boneless skinless chicken breast tenders and a green salad.

I'm thinking dinner might be soup of some sort. It's chilly and rainy here (AGAIN), so I just might have to see what I can pull together.

cupcake84
01-27-2007, 06:58 PM
tonight for supper we had boneless skinless chicken breasts with chopped garlic and onion over them, topped with a can of spaghetti sauce, baked, with mashed potatos( with chicken broth), slices tomatos with garlic and oregano on them & a great big salad....yummmmmy!

SuchAPrettyFace
01-28-2007, 05:02 PM
For dinner I have been having a serving of Rice Krispies w/real strawberries mixed with a serving of All Bran (7 grams of fiber per serving). Except now I am out of milk! :lol:

SexyRevealed
01-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Tonight is salmon, broccoli, and a sweet potato.

nelie
01-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Oh I'm on leftovers again, leftover stroganoff. Although I did make some split pea soup today (for the week) which I may have some as an appetizer. Tomorrow, I am thinking of peanut chicken with snap peas, maybe.

jillybean720
01-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Today, I did one of Jeff's favorites. I marinated soe boneless skinless chicken breast tenders in a honey dijon marinade (which, I am sad to say, they have discontinued, so I won't be able to do this again more than once with the amount I've got left :(). Then I put the tenders in a baking pan and placed half a strip of bacon (center-cut, so less fat than regular bacon--I don't like turkey bacon) and baked the chicken and bacon on 375 for about 20 minutes. Then I added half a slice of Swiss cheese (I use thin-sliced for half the calories of the regular thickness) on top of each piece of bacon and throw back in the over for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese. While we've eaten this chicken with brown rice before, our favorite is to eat it on wheat hamburger bun with just a little mayo (I use either fat-free mayo or a soy-based product called Nayonnaise). YUM!

I'm thinking of making orange chicken for tomorrow night--or maybe I'll make a big batch of it tonight and have it for lunches throughout the week.

nelie
01-28-2007, 08:01 PM
I was wrong, my leftovers are still leftover so tomorrow is beef stroganoff again. It is pretty tasty but it will be with a side of sugar snap peas. Also my split pea soup is awesome. I can't believe I never made it before.

Charbar
01-28-2007, 08:19 PM
SAPF- I love that cereal. Last week I went to get a bowl for myself and my daughter and son sucked all the strawberries!!! grrrr

Tonight was sausage w/ jambalaya and brocolli... not too bad for calories at all... 120 for 2 oz of sausage, 97 for 3/4 c of rice and 44 for 1 cup of brocolli.. yummy! 360 calories.. not bad!!

RebaR
01-28-2007, 11:26 PM
today was homemade chili

rockinrobin
01-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Saturday night we wound up at our friends house, and we ordered in from a pizza place. They all ate pizza and fries and I asked if they had vegetable soup and they did, so I ate that. Who knows for sure how many calories were in there, but that's what I decided to do. I so prefer eating at home. I get to eat so much more food because I know exactly what ingredients are going into it. But I can't always stay in my safe haven, gotta venture out sometimes, which we often do on Saturday nights.

Sunday night was yummy. I made fresh spinach, tons of mushrooms, onions and chicken strips. I sauteed it all in about 1 tsp of olive oil with tons of fresh garlic and at the end added some chicken broth. It was really good.

Cheryl14
01-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Dinner tonight will be thin boneless pork chops which I cook on the stove with sliced onions, salt and pepper. Each time I make them I sprinkle on different spices/seasonings. A friend gave us a great gift last Christmas- a gift box of all different seasonings and spices from Penzeys Spices.

We like Barbecue of the Americas, Bicentennial Rub, Sweet Curry Powder, Northwoods Seasoning, Chinese Five Spice, and Galena Street Rub the best.

I buy big bags of frozen vegetables at GFC and steam the veggies separately, serving both meat and veggies together on the plate. The various spices and seasonings add no calories, but they DO add wonderful flavor to the food.

Tonight I think I will use the Sweet Curry Powder.

Happy eating, All!

Cheryl

nelie
01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Cheryl,
I'm a big fan of steaming frozen veggies. I've basically given up on fresh veggies for the most part because I was tired of them going bad on me before I could use them. I buy mine at Costco.

I'm also a fan of beans. We have beans almost every day and usually twice per day. Today I am crockpotting some beans for the week. If you can't tell, I'm also a big fan of leftovers so that I don't have to cook every night.

rockinrobin
01-29-2007, 02:07 PM
I am going to make baked chicken breasts with mushrooms and onions in a lemon, garlic and wine sauce. Cauliflower on the side.

boaterswife
01-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Tonights menu is grilled sirloin (I'll measure and weigh my portion before I start eating), steamed veggies and huge salad.

I am a beef lover so we still have beef regularly, I've just learned that a small portion fills the need, I don't need an 8oz steak all to myself! 2 oz. is usually just about right.

Nelie I also buy a lot of frozen veggies from Costco. Their birdseye frozen mixed veggies are fabulous with just a little salt and pepper on them, no need for margarine! We eat them steamed, but I also add them to almost everything! They always get mixed in to rice, for sure!

mandalinn82
01-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Tonight is a quickie post-gym meal - pizzas on whole wheat pitas with grilled chicken, broccoli, bell pepper, and red onion.

phantastica
01-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Curried vegetables (green and red peppers, onion, tomatoes, eggplant) served over quinoa. Maybe some kidney or garbanzo beans thrown in for protein ... enough for planned leftovers for lunch at work the next day.

jillybean720
01-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow, so many great ideas here!

I was thinking of orange chicken and broccoli for dinner, but I think I may switch to some turkey burgers w/Swiss and bacon on wheat buns. I'll still make the orange chicken, but I want it more than just one night (that's how much I love it!), so I will make it and portion it out for lunches for the rest of the week.

Cheryl14
01-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Everything here sounds absolutely delicious!:chef:

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Cheryl

Penney
01-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Veggie burgers - portabella flavored.... very very good!!

RebaR
01-29-2007, 10:42 PM
tonight was leftover night here- I had a small taco salad...

healthytoad
01-30-2007, 09:11 AM
shrimp and scallops, sort of an asian maple sauce, brown rice, broccoli

jillybean720
01-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Someone PMed me for my orange chicken recipe, so I thought I'd post it here so others could see it, too.

I don't really measure things, so I will try to be as specific as possible. I did measure some ingredients yesterday to try for a more accurate calorie count, so let's see if I can remember correctly:

1 package (mine was about 1.33 pounds, I think) of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks (I use 99% lean tenderloins--easier to cut into small pieces)
Marinate and cook in the following mixture (I cook it in a wok so I can add the broccoli all to the same pan):
3-4 T soy sauce (I use reduced-sodium)
1/2 cup orange juice
1-2 white cooking wine
2 t ground ginger
2 shakes crushed red pepper
garlic and/or onion powder to taste
3 T honey
Once the chicken is cooked, add 1 jar sugar-free (or no sugar added?) orange marmalade. Cook and stir until the marmalade mixes with the rest of the sauce and the chicken is cooked.
Add 2 small bags of frozen broccoli florets and cook to desired crispness.I made this last night and split it into 4 containers for lunch for the next 4 days. The chicken and all sauce ingredients come to about 260 calories per serving (when using the above amounts for 4 servings--I didn't worry about the number of calories in the broccoli).

Charbar
01-30-2007, 09:59 AM
last night was beef noodle casserole... yummy!! 342 calories for 1 cup.
tonight I'm saving up calories.. chicken fingers and fries... and some sort of fruit or veggie. I find that if I do good all day I can have a "normal" meal with added veggies. I used to always fail when I had to make myself a seperate meal.

Dana

rockinrobin
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I've got two words for ya Jilly - YUMM MME

Mrs Quadcrew
01-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I am venturing out tonight. I bought some Tilapia filets and we are going to have that (anyone have some good recipes for itt?? - I need to do a search) We always have a big salad - that is one of my "splurges" every few days at the grocery - I buy several bags of the different mixed greens and then mix them altogether here at home and keep them in a huge tupperware bowl! And then of course some vegies......either broccoli or california blend.

nelie
01-30-2007, 11:56 AM
For tilapia, I usually make fish tacos with it. You can grill it, broil it, bake it or I usually pressure cooker it with various spices. Since it is a mild flavored fish, you can do a lot with it depending on what spices you use.

Tonight my dinner is a shrimp pasta dish. Should be good :) Lots of veggies, shrimp and pasta.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, I think I will do a cajun inspired fish - spice it up some. DH is not fond of the wild salmon, (which I love) so I thought I would try a milder fish for him. We both love spicy though, so I will go with that tonight. (thanks Nelie)

phantastica
01-30-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm glad I posted here last night! After my TOPS group I started playing mind games with myself: "I don't have to weigh in for another week, I have $20 cash on me, if I don't cook anything tonight I don't have to do dishes, meeting a friend for dinner would be perfect ..." but I came home and made my curried vegetables instead. Yay!

Tonight, I'm making pizza with feta cheese, chicken, black olives, green peppers, red peppers, onions, and mushrooms.

disappearingchick
01-30-2007, 12:29 PM
One of the ways I find I have sabatoged my diet in the past is not being prepared. So my dh and I plan out our meals for the week on Sunday and do a big shop for all the ingredients needed. Then we cook two extra portions of our dinner meals so we can take it for lunch the next day (saves lunch prep time in the AM!).

The menu for dinner tonight is Turkey & White Bean Chili with a Tri-Color Salad (both recipes taken from the South Beach Meals in 30 Minutes or Less Cookbook). It'll be our first time trying this recipe...so I hope it is good!

Holly

boaterswife
01-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Mrs. Quadcrew, we love tilapia or any mild fish sprinkled heavily with Old Bay, then lightly sauted in a bit of olive oil on the stove top. Quick and easy! If you're on WW, it also gets in a healthy oil for the day.

I need to go back and re-read this whole thread, I have no idea what's for dinner tonight, and I just might get some inspiration!

rockinrobin
01-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Mrs. Quadcrew, we love Talapia in our house, even my picky teenage daughters.

I put it in a pan and squeeze fresh lemon juice over it. Then I spread crushed fresh garlic on it. I sprinkle it with some onion powder, a little salt and pepper and a little paprika. I use about 1 TBS of softened butter to which I add about 2 TBS. of flavored corn flake crumbs. This is for 4 fillets by the way. I then sprinkle the crumbs over the fish. Bake at 350' for about 30 mins. It's quite good, delicious in fact.

I think for tonight I will be making salmon fillets with broiled tomatoes.

I'll be serving it with red lentil soup. It is the easiest, yummiest soup. If anyone wants the recipe let me know. Threre's like 6 ingredients in it. It's delish and it makes a big pot and we have it all week.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the recipes for the tilapia!! I am hoping DH likes it, he isn't fond of the salmon. (but he will eat it because I am and he is trying to support me here!!) I just want to fix things we all can eat and enjoy. This is going to be forever for us - not just a little while, so I really want to have some great new recipes to use. You all are WONDERFUL!!

And Robin......I would love to have the Red Lentil Soup recipe too!! (TIA!)

rockinrobin
01-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Red Lentil Soup

2 large onions, diced
4 -6 portabello mushroom caps, cleaned out and diced
2 - 6 oz. cans tomato paste
12 cups chicken or vegetable bouillion
2 - 2 1/2 cups red lentil (depending on your preference, how thick you like it)
Olive Oil

In a large soup pot, saute' the onions in the oil til lightly browned over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes or so. Add the bouillion, lentils and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 mins, or until lentils are soft, not mushy.

It reheats beautifully. It's really delish. I even serve it for company. They ooh and ahh every time. Maybe later (or tomorrow) when I have time I will figure out the exact nutritional facts.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks!! It sounds wonderful. I LOVE mushrooms and onions and lentils!! I can't wait to try it.

rockinrobin
01-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Most Friday nights we have the same meal. No matter what it is we're having it always starts out with Chicken Soup. I make a big pot of it and freeze it into 5 separate quart containers. It freezes/reheats beautifully. So since I am out of the soup I will be making it today and freezing it. I'm the only one in the house that will eat the breast so that will be my dinner. I use parsnips and sweet potatos to flavor the soup but have never frozen that. So with the chicken breast I will have a 1/2 sweet potato and 1/2 parsnip.

Now to figure out what to make for the kiddies. :?:

nelie
01-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Tonight is leftovers of last night being pasta with garlicky shrimp, tomatoes and artichokes with a side of green beans.

mandalinn82
01-31-2007, 01:21 PM
One of the ways I find I have sabatoged my diet in the past is not being prepared. So my dh and I plan out our meals for the week on Sunday and do a big shop for all the ingredients needed. Then we cook two extra portions of our dinner meals so we can take it for lunch the next day (saves lunch prep time in the AM!).

I do the EXACT same thing. Its SUCH a relief knowing that not only do I have everything I need to make dinner at hand when I get home from the gym at 8, but I have a healthy lunch prepared for the next day as well. It also keeps me from a horrible pitfall I used to fall into - eating like a bird all day and binging at dinner. The equal portions of lunch and dinner help me to eat more consistently all day long to keep the fires of my metabolism going.

Yesterday was pork tenderloin marinated in mandarin, garlic, soy, and ginger (with a litte bit of mandarin zest thrown in the bag...yummy) and roasted, with WW couscous and steamed broccoli.

Tonight is smoky mini turkey meatloaves, roasted red potato, and sauteed green cabbage. The meatloaves are super simple (I know I've posted the recipe on here before, but I'll post it again because I love it so much):

1 - 20oz pkg ground turkey
1/2 large onion, chopped
3/4 cup grated carrot (grated zucchini works fabulously as well)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp soy sauce
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

4 tbsp smoky bbq sauce

This is my basic recipe - for tonight, though, to make them smokier, I'll add in some chili powder and cumin.

Mix all ingredients but the bbq sauce, folding gently with a fork (be careful not to overmix!). Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide the meat mixture into eight equal balls and place in 8 holes of your muffin tin. Press down slightly in the center, and top each with a teaspoon of the reserved bbq sauce.

Place the muffin tin on a cookie sheet to catch drips (the cups of the muffin tin will be full) and bake for 25-30 minutes. When the meatloaves have 10 minutes remaining, brush them with the remaining bbq sauce.

phantastica
01-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Mandalinn! That meatloaf might make my weekend menu.

I have to plan, too. I'm normally not much of a planner, but I have to have a few meals planned each week. I finally am admitting to myself that even though my son moved out of the house and now I live alone, I still have to cook.

Good point about equal portions at lunch and dinner. I tend to make my daytime meals light and then have a free-for-all at dinner. :(

mandalinn82
01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
I forgot to say - a serving of that meatloaf is 2 mini-loaves/muffin cups, and it has about 180 calories.

jillybean720
01-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Tonight in my home is boneless skinless chicken breast tenders marinated in Lowry's Italian steak marinade (10 cals per T) served over Trader Joe's organic frozen brown rice and a handful of whatever veggies I might have in the freezer.

RitzyFritz
01-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Tonight will be Easy Potato Soup and BLTs (with turkey bacon) for us. Total calories/fat for meal: 430 cal, 6 fat g.

Soup recipe:
28 oz Ore Ida O'Brien frozen potatoes
58 oz (or 4 of the cans) fat-free chicken broth
2.75 oz Pioneer FF country gravy mix

Spray large pot with cooking spray and saute potatoes on medium heat, stirring gently until thawed. Add the chicken broth and turn up the heat to high. Bring to a boil. Prepare the gravy according to package directions; add to potato/broth mixture. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.

Serves 6; 2 cups per serving
(Per Serving: 175 Calories; 4g Fat (21.1% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 994mg Sodium. WWP: 3)

Penney
01-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Tonight I made french toast used multi-grain bread, (the batter was egg beaters, 2% milk, vanilla, cinnamon and a little bit of ginger) and turkey sausage....

Easy and tasty.........

Charbar
02-01-2007, 12:08 AM
penny.. that sounds yummy! I'll have to try. I'm trying to increase my carbs more too!

tonight.. well it was wedesday.. at our house wednesday night is homemade pizza night. 2 slices... yeah for me!! It's a great treat everyweek. Homemade is the trick.. it's much more filling! and you control the toppings.

Dana