Old 01-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200.6/174.4/150

Height: 5'6

Default Does any one else have a skinny sister?

Just wondering if any one else out there has a skinny sister or bff that just doesn't understand. I have 5 skinny sisters!! I love each of my sisters and we all get along great. They are always complimenting me on my weight loss, how great I look and how much will power I have. The thing is I don't think the really GET IT

I mean I go to my sisters house and there is Lasagna and brownies and cookies all the time. We have a big Italian family so we don't just have counter full of fatty foods for special occasions, it's an every day thing I don't expect people to change there lives because I am trying to lose weight, but my sisters can be so unsupportive. My favorite is when they say "Tanya - you lost 34lbs, so you can eat a brownie" or "but you're doing so well, just give yourself a break and have a treat, indulge once in a while". I just don't get it, I appreciate that they want me to "relax and enjoy myself", but that is how I got in this situation in the first place. If I just have one brownie every day or just a little extra pasta, then I will be back where I started in no time at all. I tell them, listen I can't I am saving my extra points for my birthday cake this weekend, or I already ate lunch, no thank you and they all insist that if I never "cheat on my diet" then I will break down eventually and gain it all back. I don't consider WW my diet, it is my lifestyle. I do eat sweets and I do have an extra scoop of mashed potatos one in a while,"no" to sweets when I have already had my share or just don't need them. I don't want to go back to the way I was. I would rather watch everyone else eat cake and ice cream and think mmm, that looks good, then eat it myself and think wow I am still not satisfied, and I feel guilty, and I am not loosing any weight and blah blah blah, you know how it goes?

Tonight is my nephews 8th birthday and we are having a joint party for my birthday and his on Sunday, but my sister wants us to come by and have a little cake tonight, just to aknowlege that today is his actual birthday. So I have no problem going over, they live next door and I look forward to spending time w/ my family. The problem is I know that when I say I am going to have cake on Sunday for my birthday and I don't want to have cake twice in one weekend, so I am skipping the cake. I just know that I will get an earfull. UGH What do I do, how do I stick up for myself w/ out offending anyone? Does any one else have these issues, or am I crazy?
tanya1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #2  

Hi. I guess we all think alike -- check out the 100 lb club, they have a thread going on this right now.

Have a great day.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #3  

You have have done so good so far; stick to your guns and don't let anyone or thing sway you!! I actullay have two sisters but they are both as overweight as I am if not more...so I can not really relate to your situation. But on the other hand I can cause my family is all about the food! And neither one of my sisters has ever really put forth an effort to lose so when I am gung ho and really putiing forth the effort they will try to sway me.. My mother is the worst actually!
Happy Birthday by the way!!!!!!!!
plb112467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #4  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

You are doing great! Just lay it out for them. Tell them you are concerned about your health and the risk being overweight may bring. Ask them to please just be supportive and let you make your best judgement about what to eat and when!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #5  

Thanks Ladies! Your tips and support mean a lot to me It is so comforting to know that there are people who understand what I am going through and know exactly how I feel
Old 01-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #6  
Self-Proclaimed WWDiva

Default I *AM* the skinny sister ...

hahaha ... and that's not saying much!
I have found that w. others in my life, knowing that I have an eating disorder and struggle w. my weight, that my friends and family just don't get it and they're "pushers" ... and I am learning that it's up to me - no one else - to make the right decisons for my sanity!
These are also healthy habits that you are introducing to your child/ren and family ... what a great role model and example you are setting.

Be strong!
The Little D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #7  

Thanks Deb,
It is nice to know that someone sees the good that I am trying to do for myself and my family. I think if I make the change know, I can brake the cycle for my own child/ren. I don't want my kids to have the relationship w/ food that I have had.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 AM   #8  

Default For my kids

Tanya -- I agree about the kids, I'm in fear of giving my kids my bad eating habits, the emotional and not nutritional eating. I can already see myself in my 7 year old son and it scares me. I was terrified that if I had girls they would be stuck like I am, but I have two boys so I'm hoping this will help them a little. I am one of three girls and my mother's horrible habits are ingrained in all of us.

So, I want to lose weight for myself, self esteem, better health and for my kids to have the best mom they can -- one who has the energy to play with them, the self esteem to take them more places, who can fit on rides at the amusement park.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/249/200

I have 2 skinny sisters, a skinny mother and a skinny daughter. My whole life has been a fight to try and be healthier and fit. And its hard, my sisters and mother dont understand how hard it is. My daughter who is 13 is blessed with a high metablism like her dad, is very encouraging. We find healthy reciepes and walk together, and even excerise together.

This is my first day on 3fatchicks.com . I cant lose weight by myself, I need the accountability of a support group. We the girls at work and people online helping each other, we can work together to achieve our goals.

Any tips or suggetions would be appreciated..
Reckless85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #10  

my skinny sister wants me to go to Mexico with her in March... YIKES!!!!!!
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/150

Height: 5'8

I can completely understand this topic!!

I have a sister who is 4 years younger than me. She was around my weight roughly a year ago. She started running and eating healthy and I just watched the weight drop off her. We used to share clothes and now im lucky to find the odd sweater!

But I just joined Weight Watchers yesterday, and hopefully I can get to a weight where I am truely happy. I dont have to be as skinny as her, I just want to be comfortable in my own skin
jennyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I ahve a skinny sister who wasn't skinny and now is. . .soon we'll both be skinny!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #13  
~*Dreams Can Come True*~

S/C/G: 238/240/130

Height: 5'4

i am the middle child of three girls. my two sisters are skinny. everyone always says how alike they look (its only because they are blonde and thin) then theres me.. im fat and was blonde, so i dyed my hair dark brown so i would look like i wasnt even related to them. its nice to have two differences between them now. im known as the brunette sister now, not the fat sister.
jen1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 375/360/200

Height: 6'

K and I are ten months apart. Her mother and my mother are sisters, but her mother had some mental problems so my mom and dad adopted her. She has always been tiny! Her wedding dress was a size 4 and it had to be altered because it was too big. In the past two years she has had two children and had her tubes tied. She went from size 4 to a size 12. I hate this for her because I can't imagine how it would be to go from skinny to "plus sized", but in a way it makes me feel better. She has always been snotty about my weight. I know that people change and I know that my change will be to lose the weight. Hang in there, your not alone!
jennilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #15  
Proud Mommy

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5 ' 3

I so know how this feels..lol..My boyfriend sometimes asks if i want to eat out and I tell him no honey,its not my cheat day..lol..And he totaly understands..But coworkers and friends..oh come on you lost so much weight,blah blah blah..I tell them to shut up and knock it off,thats how i got to weigh so much in the first place..lol
snapplegirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote