Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #1  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Default Protein Powder

I see a lot of people using protein powder in recipes. I don't know anything about it and have never seen it How does it taste and where do you buy it?
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You can buy it in various places:
- Health food stores
- Vitamin stores
- Costco
- Gyms
- Online (drugstore.com, vitaminshoppoe.com, proteinfactory.com, gnc.com, etc)

It kind of gives water a milky tasting flavor because well surprise it is usually made from milk (whey) or possibly soy. They come in various flavors including chocolate, strawberry, vanilla and lots of other flavors. If I add them to recipes, it really doesn't taste like anything other than its flavor.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #3  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Thanks Nelie just checked out one of the web-sites. Maybe I should get some.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/196/130

Height: 5'3"

I've searched high and low for a protein powder that tasted good and finally found 'Jay Robb's' The can says "the best tasting protein on the planet" and they aren't kidding, it's good stuff. I get my at Vitamin Shoppe.

Hope that helps,
Alex
jurneebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #5  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

How many grams of protien per serving? Maybe I will give it a try. Right now I am using Body Fortress and I am happy with it. $11.00 for a 3lb jar.
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/196/130

Height: 5'3"

Jay Robb's is 24grams of protein per scoop/ 3.5 grams of carbs

It's a bit more expensive than some of the others though at $20 a pound. It's worth it to me though because I just can't stomach any of the others that I've tried.

I think some of the reasons it's more money are:
-It doesn't contain bovine growth hormones (found in many dairy products)
-It mixes easily with a spoon, which means no clumping if I'm not near a blender.
-It doesn't contain artificial chemical sweeteners, such as aspartame or sucralose, check out the labels on the others.
-It has a low carb/protein ratio as it has no refined carbohydrates like fructose, sucrose or brown rice syrup
-and above all it tastes fantastic!

HTH,
Alex
jurneebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:08 AM   #7  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

I prefer the unflavored 100% Pure whey protein isolate. Nothing added. That way, I can use it in anything, which is usually fruit smoothies, but can be added to sauces, soups or other recipes. I use the Now brand and pay $30 for 5 lbs from luckyvitamin.com
1 scoop 28g
cal 105
fat .3g
cholesterol 4mg
sodium 40mg
potassium 168mg
calcuim 125mg
carb 1g

protein 25g

Last edited by cantforgetthis; 01-30-2007 at 03:18 AM.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #8  
Chick in Progress

S/C/G: 160/166/140

Height: 5' 6 1/2"

I'm just learning from everyone right now but what is the point of adding all that protein to your food and smoothies? Is it to compensate?
ChickySarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #9  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

I don't know about everyone else, but I always try to eat smaller, more frequent meals that are balanced and that means including protein in each with fat and carbs. Since I don't always want to add meat or other high fat/cholesterol sources of protein, the soy or whey protein powders give a good alternative. Putting it in a pasta dish with a veggie sauce is a good example as well as having a fruit and nonfat yogurt smoothie in the morning for breakfast. The yogurt is good for calcuim but it doesn't have that much protein.

Protein is also used as a longer term energy source where as carbs are short term immediate sources. They can also balance each other to keep blood sugar levels more even.

Hope that helps!
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

I also use jay Robb's whey protein -- it is really good. I make myself a protein shake every morning as breakfast.

It is quick and easy. I mix my shake with soy milk, 1 tbsp of flax seeds, and frozen berries.
Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/132-Hit Goal on 12/21/06

I just did a search on Jay Robb's and you can get a 2lb. container for $37.64 on Amazon.com.
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #12  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurneebac View Post
Jay Robb's is 24grams of protein per scoop/ 3.5 grams of carbs

It's a bit more expensive than some of the others though at $20 a pound. It's worth it to me though because I just can't stomach any of the others that I've tried.

I think some of the reasons it's more money are:
-It doesn't contain bovine growth hormones (found in many dairy products)
-It mixes easily with a spoon, which means no clumping if I'm not near a blender.
-It doesn't contain artificial chemical sweeteners, such as aspartame or sucralose, check out the labels on the others.
-It has a low carb/protein ratio as it has no refined carbohydrates like fructose, sucrose or brown rice syrup
-and above all it tastes fantastic!

HTH,
Alex
Its funny because I was just in the gym today thinking how much I miss having a protein smoothie after my workouts ( my new gym doesnt have a smoothie bar) and summer is closely approaching and I have a weakness for milkshakes, soooo I was thinking .. if only I could find a protein powder that was good but didnt have artifical this and that, now if I could just learn how to make them lol.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickySarah View Post
I'm just learning from everyone right now but what is the point of adding all that protein to your food and smoothies? Is it to compensate?
It's an easy way to get in more protein. I'm trying to up protein a bit because it helps with weight lifting -- helps muscles recover and build.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #14  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I was at the store yesterday to buy some protein powder and I walked out with nothing.

There are so many types - how do you know which one to get? And they come in such XXXXXL bottles. Some of them were also food replacements or weight loss products, mixed right in there with the protein.

Thanks!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #15  

I use Jay Robb's too! It's not only the best tasting, but it's by far the healthiest that I have found. There's no junk or fillers or artificial sweetners. He has some really great products. I take a combo pack of his vitamins on a regular basis as well and love them.
avsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote