100 lb. Club - What food or products have you found invaluable to your progress?

Casey4
01-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I thought we could share the items that are making are choices easier.

For me, my journal is making a big difference because I like seeing my choices in writing. It seems to both keep me accountable and reward me.
Also, the new Wishbone salad sprays are terrific. They are 1 cal a spray and much better for me than my Chunky Blue Cheese old choice.
OOh, another is the Purdue chicken cutlets that come in individual serving. They are so easy to pull out and stick in the oven.

Anyone have any favorites to share?

Kathy

nelie
01-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Actually I'd say there are a couple food prep items that are invaluable.

- Rice cooker: Lazy way to cook rice, put water, put rice and you get perfect rice. I cook up a bunch of brown rice, eat it and its leftovers for many days.

- Crockpot: Lazy way to cook. Throw food in before work, come home and dinner is ready. I've also used it to make my steel cut oats but I actually think the rice cooker is better for that. I also plan to start making my own beans (rather than canned) and the crockpot will do well with that.

- Pressure cooker: Throw frozen meat in with water and spices and you get delicious tender cooked meat in 30 minutes or less. I'm not a pressure cooking expert but it is also good to throw in frozen meat and brown rice and it comes out perfect as well.

lilybelle
01-19-2007, 12:31 PM
I love using my steamer.

Food wise, LC wheat tortillas have been great for me. Oats. Plus, I buy green beans by the case.

LondonJulz
01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Food diary.... I find myself reaching for food and immediately going to the nutrition label... it's amazing how much easier it's been for me to go from craving something - to it making my stomach churn (and putting it back) just knowing how many calories are in it (in relation to how much I'm supposed to be eating per day)...

Crock pot - LOVE IT! I don't use it often... I need more recipes for mine.

Chicken breast... there are so many ways to make it, and it's so good for you.

marbleflys
01-19-2007, 12:57 PM
low sodium soy sauce and flavored rice vinegar....makes a great dressing/marinade for a fairly *safe* sweet&sour craving.....non-fat.

V-8 juice with a big stalk of celery, lemon and I add some salsa to it....it's a snack, its a vegetable

EnglishMuffin
01-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Schoelne diet scales - count cals and fat in everything you weigh so I know exactly what cals I'm eating not guessing!

rockinrobin
01-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Products:

- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my cast iron stove top grill
- my sneakers

Food, could not have lost the weight without, just to mention a few:

- #1 without a doubt - Cauliflower
- Chicken cutlets (breasts, grilled on said grill above)
- powdered consomme
- cooking spray
- kirbys
- onions
- fresh garlic
- broiled tomatoes
- Spinach
- Morning Star Farms Chick Patties
- Plain old water

Oh and 3FC :smug:

LondonJulz
01-19-2007, 02:32 PM
oooo... another thing... my meat mallet. I can flatten any chicken breast or tenderloin and feel like I'm eating a HUGE meal, when really, I'm only eating one breast or tenderloin... I guess I'm a visual eater.

as far as foods...

-definately water
-special K
-Newmans Own Low Fat Honey Mustard dressing.... great marinade for chicken.

boaterswife
01-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Hmmm, so many things have made this weight loss possible!

My WW quick track diary and points books
Gas grill (I cook as much outside as humanly possible!)

As for food.....

Laughing cow cheese - I can eat tons of raw veggies if I get to dip them
Cauliflower and Green Beans - my fav cooked veggies
Chicken breasts - can be a different meal every day of the week!
Special K Strawberry Bars - 2 points for a sweet treat
Oatmeal - I love, love, love oatmeal! It fills me up and sticks with me a long time!

Last but not least....yogurt. DH and I firmly believe that your body works better and stays healthier if you eat a carton of yogurt daily. We both make sure we eat it every day!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-19-2007, 03:31 PM
My MP3 player...gotta have my tunes to keep me going on the walking.
Non-stick skillet - perfect for stir frying almost any fresh veggie with a little onion and olive oil.
Splenda...helps me to quit eating sugar.
Flavored ground coffee....makes me feel like I'm having a treat in the morning.
Silken Tofu - makes my smoothies thicker and more satisyfing.
Olive oil and fresh garlic - makes almost any food taste delicious.

LisaMarie71
01-19-2007, 03:40 PM
My journal, for logging everything I eat and keeping track of my points.

My running shoes, for giving me support when I walk and run. It was well worth the trip downtown to a special running store and the $85 I spent.

100-calorie packs, which I know aren't the healthiest things ever (or the cheapest), but they keep my calories in line. I've said it many times on this board - I won't stick to something that tells me I CAN'T eat a certain food, and I have to have a crunchy snack here and there, so this is my way of doing it in moderation and fitting it in. It's working so far!

CyberGypsy
01-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Oatmeal, and you girls :)

Luminous
01-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Fitday fitday fitday. If I didn't have a simple way to log food and track calories I'd be absolutely lost.

And dark chocolate. Satisfies any sweet cravings, especially at ToM, and then some!

mandalinn82
01-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Fitday
Fat free/low sodium chicken broth (I use it in everything)
Aidells Chicken/Turkey sausages - so much flavor and richness for 150 calories a serving!
My CSA Produce subscriptions

Charbar
01-19-2007, 04:58 PM
And dark chocolate. Satisfies any sweet cravings, especially at ToM, and then some!

I'm there with you on the dark chocolate. The darker the better. And now, if you eat it in moderation, it's good for you! I have 110 almost daily. I buy the best chocolate I can get. I'm worth it!

I also love love love... NATURAL OVENS BREADS!! The best in the world. Made right here in Wisconsin!! Yeah. www.naturalovens.com You can order online. If you live in the midwest they are available at most grocery stores. Their carob chip cookies.. the best.. and so filling!!
(do you think I could be their sales person? :dizzy: )
Dana

Sheila53
01-19-2007, 05:10 PM
My gym membership
The personal trainer.
Fitday.
Smoothie maker.
DaVinci and Tourani flavored syrups (I put them in smoothies).
Trader Joe's.
Chicken breasts.
Weight Watchers and Cooking Light Cookbooks.
Internet recipe sites.

RememberHowToSmile
01-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Crock pot
George Forman Grill
Treadmill

Foodwise:
Chicken (like everyone else said so many things can be done with it)
Broccoli
Baby Carrots
100-Cal popcorn bags (I have no potion control when it comes to popcorn)
String Cheese
Crave Control Yogurt (this is a new thing for me but I've fallen in love)

Casey4
01-19-2007, 08:28 PM
May I ask a question? What kind of meals do you cook in the crock pot? I love mine but I think of those meals as high fat because there is no way to drain off the fat. Thank you

Mrs Quadcrew
01-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Use VERY lean cuts of meat (or make vegetarian meals!) The crock pot can be a very useful tool - and low fat too!

RitzyFritz
01-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Oooh, this thread has already been great help to me!!!

I do have a few questions for a few of you:

Nelie: How do you use your pressure cooker (as in what type of meals do you use it for)? I have a brand new one, still in the box from an old desire to learn canning, but would like to get some use out of it from the cooking side too! Any recipes to share?

English Muffin: I did a search for the Schoelne diet scales but had no luck online, eBay, etc. I see you are in London; that may make a difference since I'm in the USA, but I thought I could at least find them online. Where did you find them, if I might ask? Or - does anyone else know of a similar scale?

Mandalinn82: Where do you get the Aidells Chicken/Turkey sausages?

Sheila53: Where do you get DaVinci and Tourani flavored syrups?

Thanks to EVERYONE who contributes to this thread! This is SO awsome to find so much help from such nice folks! I truly appreciate you all!!

RitzyFritz
01-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Oh, one more thing...for those of you wanting crockpot recipes, check out this great resource! (Even has WW points included!)

http://saksfamily.no-ip.com/crockpot.html

This is just a plain internet page with recipes - no advertising, nothing...so I hope this is considered an appropriate link.

nelie
01-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Ritzy,
If you throw in lean cuts of meats, spices and a cup or so of water into the pressure cooker, then cook for 15-30 minutes, you will have awesome tender meat. Fish takes fewer minutes (15-20) while pork you probably want to do for 30 minutes or so.

DH has done it for me every time we've done rice but you can throw in a cup of brown rice, 2.5 cups of water, a lean cut of beef, spices and in 30 minutes or so, you have awesome brown rice and beef. My only fear is that the water will dry up and I won't notice. So when we did it, I kept checking on the pressure cooker and tilting it to see if it had water left.

I have burnt fish in it before though because I cooked too long or didn't add enough water. A pressure cooker is a bit of trial and error.

RitzyFritz
01-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Excellent! I think I will try that in the near future. Thanks so much!! My DH will be delighted that I am finally getting use out of it.

Cheryl14
01-20-2007, 10:38 AM
My Top Ten

1) Lots of water

2) 3 Fat Chicks (THANKS, Everyone! You have been SOOOO great! :carrot: )

3) Fiber

4) walking, Turbo Jam, step aerobics, yoga

5) Crunchy Jif peanut butter on a G.G. Bran Crispbread

6) Fitting in increasingly smaller clothing :)

7) Apples, pears, bananas

8) Decreasing amount of red meat eaten and increasing amount of chicken, smoked turkey, and fish

9) Fat-free yogurt

10) My encouragement journal

Mrs Quadcrew
01-20-2007, 11:11 AM
1. Water
2. My Omron pedometer
3. Bagged lettuce varieties
4. brown rice
5. 3FC

Nancydream
01-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Great thread!

1) On Sunday, I buy lettuce, radishes, cucumber, celery, carrots, red pepper, green pepper, and anything else I feel like. I make up a HUGE bowl of salad for the week. This is great for a quick packed lunch, a snack, or a dinner that's really filling (had some last night) . I add raw sesame seeds, hardboiled eggs, sliced olives, tuna, anything for protein to make it a full meal. It's saved me many a time when I'm too tired or unmotivated to cook or do anything else.

2) This website!

3) Silver Hills flourless breads (sprouted wheat). I found these when I was told I should avoid milled wheat. They're thick and chewy breads that taste great for toast or sandwiches. MMMM!

4) Not for everyone, but cans of sardines. They make a quick protein serving that holds me for quite a while. :p