Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Z Trim

View Full Version : Z Trim

alinnell
01-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I just saw an article on Z Trim and wondered.....does this have trans fats or is it really a healthy alternative? Sounds almost too good to be true.

Suzanne 3FC
01-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Z Trim is a calorie-free fat replacer, so it doesn't have trans fats. From what I understand, it can be used to replace other ingredients in foods, so it reduces the calories in the end product.

It sounds promising!

alinnell
01-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the reply. It does sound promising. The article was about a school district somewhere that was using it in place of regular fats in salad dressings and such. It was "causing" the kids to eat more salads because the dressing was so much better than they could get at home. I found a website where you can buy a few products, but I think I'll look for it locally first.

alinnell
01-30-2007, 11:41 AM
First use: while making fish tacos last night, I discovered I had only 2 T of sour cream left. Not wanting to run to the store, I decided to mix 2 T of Z Trim in the sour cream. None of us could tell the difference. It did not affect the taste or the texture.

It looks a bit disgusting though--kind of resembles vaseline.

Next, I'll be making a dip for Super Bowl Sunday that I will substitute 4 oz cream cheese and 4 oz Z Trim for the recipe's 8 oz cream cheese. And after that, I'm going to try it in a Bechamel sauce as a base for macaroni and cheese (I need to find some ww elbow macaroni first!)

cbmare
01-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Where did you get it? I saw that you mentioned it in one of my other posts and asked there as well.

Can it be mixed with melted butter or ICINB and stuff like that?

How does it taste by itself?

What size containers does it come in?

Do I have to take the pink slip to my car in to buy it?

This sounds VERY promising.

alinnell
01-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Where did you get it? I saw that you mentioned it in one of my other posts and asked there as well.

Google it, I think the address is www.ztrim.com

Can it be mixed with melted butter or ICINB and stuff like that?

Yes, although they don't tell you to melt it.

How does it taste by itself?

there is no taste. it has a pleasant texture

What size containers does it come in?.

It comes in jars similar to salad dressing or mayo.

Do I have to take the pink slip to my car in to buy it?

I bought 3 jars for $9.99 plus shipping of $10.41! The shipping cost more!!!

This sounds VERY promising.

I hope that helps!

cbmare
01-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Sure does. Thanks. I emailed them and asked if I can get it locally.

If not, then I guess I have to order it online.

meowee
01-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Does it present the same "difficulties" as some of the other fat substitutes like Olestra for example?

alinnell
01-30-2007, 05:15 PM
No, supposedly there are no side effects like Olestra gave us. No bloating, diarrhea or anything.

cbmare
01-30-2007, 07:31 PM
What are the ingredients?

alinnell
01-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Water and the bran of corn, oats and soybeans (I think).

Tristesse
02-01-2007, 02:22 AM
This looks great - would it cost any WW points?

alinnell
02-01-2007, 09:59 AM
This looks great - would it cost any WW points?

I can't imagine that it would be any points. It seems to be mostly water.

My second use of it last night was Ranch dip. 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup Z Trim and 1/2 a packed of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix. Served with carrots and celery. No one could tell the difference.

alinnell
02-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Wow, I just got an email from the folks at Z Trim. It is loaded with more recipes--these geared toward Super Bowl Sunday! Things like Appetizer Pizza, cole slaw, chili, brownies, dips like veggie dip and nacho cheese dip. Each recipe also tells how many calories and mg's of cholesterol you save--anywhere from 200 calories to over 800 calories (for the whole recipe).

Suzanne 3FC
02-01-2007, 10:46 AM
I just checked their order page and see that they not only sell the fat replacement product used in baking, but they also sell an appetite control capsule. It costs $29.95 for one bottle of 120 capsules. They recommend one or two capsules per 100lb of your body weight, though they don't say if it's a once per day dosage or if you take it before meals. There is only one ingredient - bran. Each capsule only contains 0.2 grams of fiber. You can buy fiber supplements at any store (target, walgreens, etc) for a fraction of the cost. Also, a serving of bran cereal usually has at least 8 grams of fiber.

I don't know if that's worth it, but at least the baking product looks promising!

alinnell
02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
No way would I buy the capsules! It's that "sounds too good to be true" type thing there. I'll stick with my Benefiber!!! LOL

I also did not buy the dry Z Trim--just the gel. Some of the recipes in the book call for the dry stuff, but most use the gel. I don't know what the dry stuff is--perhaps the bran without the water?

Suzanne 3FC
02-02-2007, 12:27 AM
We're getting Z Trim, too! I'm anxious to try it. Please let us know what your experiences are with the product :)

alinnell
02-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I'll be making a couple things this weekend for Super Bowl and I'll post the results next week.

Spinymouse
02-02-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm skeptical. Not about the taste or the suitability for use in baking, but how useful it would be in the battle against obesity. All those fat-free baked goods that have been out for years didn't seem to change the obesity trend - except for the worse.

alinnell
02-02-2007, 02:02 PM
The way I look at it, if you can't stand the taste of fat free foods (I can't stand salad dressings or sour cream that is low fat or fat free) and you want to be able to enjoy them, why not reduce the amount of fat with the product? Their suggestion on salad dressing is to pour out the whole bottle, mix equal amount of Z Trim with it, pour back into the bottle and the rest in another container. You automatically halve the fat and calories.

I agree that the trend toward obesity with respect to all the fat-free processed foods is terrible. The problem with those processed products is that the buyer assumed that since they were fat free, that they were also calorie free when they were not (I know I fell for that trap). In some cases, the calories were just as high as the regular fat variety. I stay away from processed foods as much as humanly possible. But if I really want some cookies, now I can bake some from scratch and reduce the fat and calories and remain healthier.

Spinymouse
02-02-2007, 04:39 PM
The way I look at it, if you can't stand the taste of fat free foods (I can't stand salad dressings or sour cream that is low fat or fat free) and you want to be able to enjoy them, why not reduce the amount of fat with the product?

That makes perfect sense!
I was just underwhelmed by their pretty, elaborate, web site with the wholesome looking logo, and the seemingly kind and helpful words about working to change the obesity problem.... I don't think it is going to work in general (pardon my skepticism) because most people will say "These cookies are made with Z-thin so I'll have 12 of them." I think the Z-trim folks are in it for bucks (notice they have their investor link on the page) But, I hope that it works well for you and anyone here trying it as you have described.
As for myself, I am going in the opposite direction (less high-tech, more primitive.) I think reading Michael Pollan is getting to me :smug:

alinnell
02-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Spinymouse--skepticism is good! And everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Besides, what works for one person may not work for another.

alinnell
02-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Okay, I made my dip yesterday:

original recipe:
8 oz cream cheese
1 pkg Jimmy Dean sage sausage, cooked and drained
10 oz RoTel tomaotes with chilies

Mix, heat and serve warm with chips.

New recipe:
4 oz cream cheese
4 oz Z Trim
8-10 oz Morning Star Farms sausage crumbles
10 oz RoTel tomatoes with chilies

Mix, heat, serve warm with chips.

For the entire recipe, I reduced the calories by over 1000 and reduced the fat by about 75 grams (or was it more?). The only difference that I could tell was with the TVP (Morning Star Farms crumbles). They were smaller pieces than if I had used sausage and therefore the new dip wasn't as chewy. But everyone enjoyed it.

I also made a ranch dip with Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix and used half sour cream and half Z Trim. No one could tell the difference!

valentina
02-27-2007, 03:49 PM
This is my first post, I found this site while looking for info on ZTrim.

I spoke to someone at the company last week and she told me you can make the gel that comes in the bottle from the powder they sell in the jar. It's a 1 to 1 ratio (add water) and you can keep the gel refrigerated for at least a week and then add it to anything you use. She said it's much more economical that way since you're not paying shipping for the liquid and you would get more. Now that I'm looking at the prices for the gel, I'm hoping she was right that this 8 oz of powder makes more than the equivalent of 6-7 bottles.

I also ordered the capsules. You can make the capsules from the powder but I'm in the 'need to start now' mode of getting back on plan and I wanted the convenience of the capsules being already made.

I think the fiber and full feeling is different than using something like Benefiber. I think the Ztrim has less fiber per serving than Benefiber. I also don't think Benefiber can do the same thing as the Ztrim for substituting calories in food.

My shipment just arrived today so I'm anxious to try it. Has anyone else been fooling around with it? I'm anxious to hear any recipes or substitutions that have worked or any tricks.

EDIT: I just called ZTrim and spoke to the woman again. She advised me that 6 TBL of the powder would be added to 1 cup of water. She said to use a blender for about 3 minutes to make it thick and creamy. I only have an immersion blender and asked if I could use that and she said it was fine.

One 1LB container of powder makes about 12 lbs of the gel, so it is more economical to use the powder and make your own gel.

1-2 tablets before each meal or a snack. She advised to start with 1 5-10 minutes before a meal, there's no exact science to it - you don't have to drink 8 oz of water or take it X exact minutes before eating to see the benefit.

alinnell
02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
I bought 3 bottles of the gel but will probably go for the powder next time. With all the paperwork they send to you, I found that there are 3 or 4 ways to add the water (different ratios) to get different results.

I don't get the capsules. I don't think they are necessary.

Tell us how you like the ZTrim!!

valentina
03-03-2007, 08:31 AM
I've mixed the gel in a few things and you really can't tell it's there. I mixed it in salad dressing and I mixed it in deli counter scallion (chive) cream cheese.

The only thing I noticed with the cream cheese is, it makes it much thinnner in consistency when you first mix it in, but if you put it back in the refrigerator, it firms up to the same state as when I bought it.

I mixed a tub of the gel up and used the 6 tbl of Ztrim to 1 cup of water ratio and since it gets so thick and creamy it really expands and it seems like it triples in volume. I've been keeping it in the refrigerator in a rubbermaid container and I just use it when I need it. I heard it lasts for months in that state. The woman at the company who told me to use the 6 tbl to 1 cup of water told me the ideal thing is to blend it for 3 minutes in a blender. I don't have a blender so I just used one of those immersion blender sticks and it came out fine.

I've mixed the powder into Orange Juice and just used the immersion blender. It cuts the acidity of the juice and makes it more 'shake like'. It made it a bit fuller in consistency but not thick like the gel you make from the powder and water. Last night I used it in 4 oz of OJ and drank it before dinner to fill me up a bit. I'm going to experiment with some lower calorie juices and adding some frozen strawberries in.

Anyone else fool around with it and have any other suggestions?

alinnell
03-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I plan on buying the powder stuff and mixing it as I need it. I originally bought 3 bottles of the premixed stuff and I love it! As soon as I bring home a tub of sour cream, I mix in an equal amount of Z Trim and put it in a container for later use (that way I don't have to think about mixing it when I need it). I've done the same with salad dressing and I've used it in several recipes that called for butter (used half Z Trim). You REALLY can't tell the difference. I'm totally sold on this stuff!

valentina~I like your idea of mixing the powder with juice and fruit. I wouldn't have thought of that! When you got your Z Trim, you got a recipe book, right? Then at superbowl time, they sent out and email with tons more recipes. Did you get that?

valentina
03-04-2007, 08:53 AM
valentina~I like your idea of mixing the powder with juice and fruit. I wouldn't have thought of that! When you got your Z Trim, you got a recipe book, right? Then at superbowl time, they sent out and email with tons more recipes. Did you get that?

Last night I mixed 2 tbl with 4 oz of orange juice. Since I'm using the Calcium enriched orange juice, I wonder if that's changing how it's thickening? hmmm

I did get the recipe booklet and a dvd I haven't used yet.

I didn't get the email with recipes since I just bought this. Was there anything interesting in the email recipes?

I wish there were more things I could think of to use it in, but I don't really eat a lot of the types of recipes in the cookbook. Yesterday I was walking around the supermarket thinking of what I could add it to:)

PinkyPie
03-04-2007, 11:05 AM
This sounded so great I decided to check out the website and try a bottle. I'm in the Netherlands, so I thought, yes, I'd have to pay more for shipping... imagine my surprise when I see they only ship with DHL overseas! I would have to pay a MINIMUM of $68 to get 1 $5 bottle shipped to me! No thank you!!

Don't understand why they can't put it in a box and just ship it with the post office!

alinnell
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I didn't get the email with recipes since I just bought this. Was there anything interesting in the email recipes?

Oh, the recipes were for a lot of superbowl type foods--dips, chili, brownies. If you want, I can email it to you. Just PM me with your email address and I'll send it. I think it was a pdf file that they sent.

alinnell
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM
This sounded so great I decided to check out the website and try a bottle. I'm in the Netherlands, so I thought, yes, I'd have to pay more for shipping... imagine my surprise when I see they only ship with DHL overseas! I would have to pay a MINIMUM of $68 to get 1 $5 bottle shipped to me! No thank you!!

Don't understand why they can't put it in a box and just ship it with the post office!

Even shipping via DHL here in the US cost more than the product!

jtammy
03-04-2007, 01:33 PM
This is very interesting. I would like to try it. Has anyone found it locally?

Has anyone tried mixing it with peanut butter, or seen any instructions for doing that? That is probably the thing I would most like to use it for.

alinnell
03-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Has anyone tried mixing it with peanut butter, or seen any instructions for doing that? That is probably the thing I would most like to use it for.

I've never seen it in a store. I wish I could--it would save on the shipping cost.

valentina
03-04-2007, 05:29 PM

The rep from the company told me it's not available in stores, but they're working on it.

I hadn't even thought of mixing it with peanut butter. I have a little fresh from Whole Foods, I'll try mixing some this week.

alinnell - I am going to PM you for the recipes as I'm interested in the chili proportions and when to add it, etc.

Since you can add it to chili I'm wondering if you could add it to pasta sauces, thick soups or pestos.
TIA:)

Any more ideas??

jtammy
03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Valentina, I would love to know how it works with peanut butter. If I could eat twice as much natural peanut butter for half the calories (and have it taste and feel the same) I would be interested in trying it for that reason alone. ;)

GreatBigMonsterMomma
03-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Too bad it has soy (I rather agree with the Weston A Price folks on soy). I really try to minimize my consumption of that. Does it give a breakdown of how much soy is in it, grams or anything?

valentina
03-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Too bad it has soy (I rather agree with the Weston A Price folks on soy). I really try to minimize my consumption of that. Does it give a breakdown of how much soy is in it, grams or anything?

There's no soy. From the website:

"As produced and marketed today, Z Trim is an insoluble fiber made from corn and oat. "

there's nothing else in it.

Suzanne 3FC
03-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I think the confusion is because Dr Oz said in You on a Diet that z-trim was made from ingredients such as oats, soy, rice, and barley. Perhaps they were working with outdated info?

GreatBigMonsterMomma
03-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Water and the bran of corn, oats and soybeans (I think).

I was going by that when I made my soy comment. It'll check it out if it is indeed soy-free. :)

cbmare
03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Even shipping via DHL here in the US cost more than the product!

They use UPS now. Remember, I was the one that had to get nasty with DHL because they had it sitting in their warehouse in my town! I complained to the Z Trim people and they sent me an email stating that they now use UPS because of so many complaints.

Peanut butter! Never thought of that!

Did someone say they mixed it with butter? I like to saute certain foods and Smart Balance doesn't cut it. I don't want to use olive oil all the time either. Would I just cream some of it with the butter?

Do you necessarily have to mix the powder with water or other liquids? I was thinking of trying it instead of a touch of Wondra when I want to have a light sauce.

cbmare
03-05-2007, 04:14 PM

Do you know someone here who can get it and ship it to you?

alinnell
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
They use UPS now. Remember, I was the one that had to get nasty with DHL because they had it sitting in their warehouse in my town! I complained to the Z Trim people and they sent me an email stating that they now use UPS because of so many complaints.

Did someone say they mixed it with butter? I like to saute certain foods and Smart Balance doesn't cut it. I don't want to use olive oil all the time either. Would I just cream some of it with the butter?

Do you necessarily have to mix the powder with water or other liquids? I was thinking of trying it instead of a touch of Wondra when I want to have a light sauce.

I have not mixed it with butter and then used the butter--like to butter toast, but I have mixed it 1/2 and 1/2 with butter when making cookies. The cookies were not compromised at all. They turned out perfect.

valentina
03-05-2007, 04:51 PM
double post

valentina
03-05-2007, 04:54 PM

I ordered mine on friday at 4:30 PM and it was delivered on Monday afternoon - I'm NOT near their whse.

You can mix it with butter. Here's the recipe from Ztrim.

2 sticks of butter

4-8 TBS Ztrim Gel

In a bowl, whip Ztrim and butter together with electric mixer until well blended. You may use a whisk if butter is soft.

Refrigerate. Use as you would your regular butter.

------------------------------------------

I haven't made the butter yet but I'm going to do it this week. I use Breakstone Whipped Regular Butter (comes in a small tub). I use it because I grew up on it and like it and it's texture, since it's whipped it's not light like traditional margarine type spreads, but it's lighter than regular butter and it's only 60 calories per TBS. I'll report back after I try it;)

The rep at the company said to use an electric mixer like you would make a cake with and she told me it's better used with butters and margarine and not great with olive oil.

BTW - if you use a non stick pan and get one of those silicone "brushes" they sell in dept and specialty stores - you can put a very very small amount of butter or olive oil in the pan and smear it around with that silicone brush and get all areas of the pan. It looks like a pastry brush but instead of regular bristles, they're made of silicone and you can put it in the dishwasher. You can also use them for basting. I use it all the time because Pam will ruin the surface of most non stick pans and I really don't like cooking with it, I only use it when I'm using the oven or toaster oven to coat some tin foil.

You can try coating something with it but the powder has a very light light texture - it almost blows around when you open the lid of the jar, hard to describe but I'm not sure how it would coat something instead of flour - you could try it with a small piece of something.

The recipe booklet and folder they sent me also included ways to incorporate it in baked goods and many other things. I'll see if I can get it online and post it because it also suggests that sometimes you blend it with skim milk.

alloraca
03-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I really want to order this product. Sounds like the powder is the way to go.....am I correct? Do you think the kit with the DVD is necessary?
Thanks.

alinnell
03-22-2007, 06:51 PM
I first ordered the gel--I got three bottles and am just about done with the last bottle. I have one thing of the powder but haven't mixed it up yet. I agree, it weighs a lot less so shipping is a bit less. I mean the gel is mostly water--who needs to pay shipping on water? Besides, if you have the powder, you can mix it to the needed consistency. The gel works great in sour cream, but it is too runny for cream cheese. The instructions on the powder are really easy to mix to different consistencies. All you need is a blender or an immersion blender to use the powder.

littlered
03-24-2007, 08:52 AM
HI,
I just found this post. On the z trim. How has it been doing for all of you?
This stuff sounds to good to be true. I need it ! :)

Are you still using it?

Has it been worth the money?

Have you noticed your weight dropping faster?

Theresa

Suzanne 3FC
03-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Theresa, I don't think using ztrim will help you lose weight faster (not noticeably anyway), unless you normally cook a lot of high fat foods and use this to reduce it somewhat.

I think it's a small tool in a bigger plan. It can be useful, but just how useful depends on your current diet habits.

alinnell
03-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I agree, Z-Trim is not helping me lose weight any faster. It is cutting the fat and calories of certain foods that I enjoy (sour cream, salad dressing, butter, cream cheese) without compromising the taste. I believe it is worth the money, I only wish I could buy it in the store rather than having to pay for shipping.

CalypsoZ
04-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Anyone still experimenting? I got my powder this weekend and experimented by making these. Note: I do not claim these are low-cal -- I just wanted a "let's see if this stuff works" recipe. My family scarfed them down. They were delicious, gooey and moist. I'm interested in experimenting with completely replacing fat in a recipe, and using egg white + Tbsp Ztrim to replace egg. (In baking recipes.)

Best Cocoa Brownies

serving size
Makes 16 large or 25 smaller brownies.

Ingredients
6 tablespoons Z-Trim
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cold large eggs
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour

Special equipment: An 8-inch square baking pan
preparation
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325F. Line the bottom and sides of the baking pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.

Combine the butter, Z-trim, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork or spoon until mixture is smooth.

Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Spread evenly in the lined pan.

Bake until a toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack.

Lift up the ends of the parchment or foil liner, and transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Cut into 16 or 25 squares.

meowee
04-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Did anybody ever try the 'mix with peanut butter' idea?

alinnell
04-23-2007, 12:44 PM
I'd like to know how you measure your powder. I got a container of the powder and attempted to make the 4% gel and it was soooooo watery. So I added more powder and then when it looked right (like what I"m used to from the pre-made gel bottle) I added it to my sour cream for a dip and we could all tell the difference (we can never tell the difference with the pre-made stuff). So I was wondering how you measure it (heaping tablespoon perhaps?). The dry stuff is so fluffy that it is hard to measure (IMO).
Thanks!!

CalypsoZ
04-24-2007, 12:29 AM
So far, I've been doing 4 level Tbsp to 1 cup water. But that's for baking. I figured it was close to the consistency of melted butter.

When I try blending it with things like softened butter or cream cheese, I'm going to make it thicker.

BTW, I made the brownies again today. Did one tbsp butter, the rest of the "fat" was the Z-Trim. Still terrific.

cbmare
04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm almost done with my first gel jar. I think I'm going to break into the powder. I'm very interested in getting the consistancy right.

Caly, have you considered swapping the eggs for Egg Beaters or something like that? I'm thinking of trying your recipe and swapping most of the butter with Ztrim, swapping the eggs with Egg Beaters and going one step further and swapping the sugar with Splenda. Hmmm.

Oh, it worked great with the peanut butter. However, I used chunky PB. Now that I've had a major diverticulitis attack, I'm back to creamy and I notice a bit of a difference with it.

alinnell
04-25-2007, 02:01 PM
oh, mare, have you heard of the PB2? Powdered PB--I've heard wonderful things about it (and lower in fat).

CalypsoZ
04-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I haven't tried subbing eggbeaters yet, but that's a good idea.

Made bran muffins with it yesterday, subbing Z trim for all of the shortening in the original recipe (1 cup). Left eggs in as regular. (Am taking it all a step at a time so I'll know who the culprit is if it doesn't work). Delicious and my kids couldn't tell a difference at all. I don't think I could, either.

Regarding side effects: it's a little disingenous for them to say there are no side effects. It's fiber! But even after eating copious amounts in my experimenting, it's just had an um, "natural" effect. Nothing like diarrhea or anything. Just keeps ya healthy! ;)

One of the good side effects: I really think that the fiber in it acts the way regular fiber does, in terms of making you feel full and slowing sugar absorption. The brownies have a lot of sugar in them, but whereas I would normally "crash" and have cravings, none. No crash, no cravings. Felt full for a long time.

So, I'm a believer. Give me a week, and I'll report on any effects to my waistline ...

cbmare
04-25-2007, 06:20 PM
We'll be waiting with bait on our breath.

FaeReverie
04-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi all :)

After reading this and considering, I decided to order this stuff and give it a try. Just one bottle of the gel.. cautious much me? Anyway I tried it in 2 ways tonight, without reading any directions... first added it in equal amounts to some full-fat sour cream that I had left, since I planned on making tacos (made with turkey instead of beef) for dinner. The S.C. seemed to me to be a little more creamy than normal but that's it.

The second thing was salad dressing. I got a bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch and mixed it with an equal amout of Z-Trim. Now here's the odd part.. I can't tell if there is a difference? It's been so long since Ive had it (normally have low-fat), and Im still getting over a cold and my taste buds are off, I think. Heck, their off normally anyway. And I saw on the booklet (which I read AFTER the fact) that it says to add 4 tablespoons to a 16 oz bottle of dressing... I mixed it equal of an 8 oz bottle. I think it's ok, but Im having a cookout next weekend and am nervous to use that... how do you guys mix it with dressing, and does anyone usually notice?

Thanks! :)

alinnell
04-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I can't tell any difference at all when I mix my ZTrim with salad dressing (I do half and half and also my family can't tell the difference). I did notice the extra creaminess of the sour cream, though (but that's not a bad thing!). I've made cookies with it, substituting it for half the butter. All I noticed there was the cookies seemed a little more cake-like than cookie-like.

CalypsoZ
04-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Experimenting continues ...

Deviled eggs: subbed 1/2 Z trim for mayo. Can't tell a difference; got scarfed down at a church function.

Cupcakes: Okay, I am WAY impressed. I had some Betty Crocker Devil's Food cake mix. I made cupcakes, subbing Z trim for ALL the butter. Also, it called for 3 eggs. I did three egg whites and a heaping Tbsp of of Ztrim. And the water it called for. So, other than the fat that was in the mix itself, fat-free.

Can't tell a difference in taste, except the cupcakes seem even lighter in texture. For cupcakes, a good effect!

CalypsoZ
04-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Made brownies again, for a church meeting. Doubled the recipe, made it in a standard sheet-cake size pan, subbed Z-trim for ALL the fat. (Well, except the trace amount in cocoa powder.) Scarfed down by all. Another benefit of this: it's non-dairy, for those with allergies. I calculated it as being right under 100 calories per brownie.

Learned: things with a lot of Z trim in them take longer to bake than things made with shortening/butter. BUT ... it firms up after being removed from the oven. So, increase the time of your recipe by 5 minutes or so, but don't be afraid to take it out while the inside still looks a bit pudding-like. (Doesn't pertain to cupcakes -- they looked firm when I removed them, though I did have to cook them an additional 5 minutes.)

I'll post the full recipe at the bottom.

HAVE I LOST WEIGHT: No! But that's because of a combination of stress and stupidity. My daughter was scheduled for her scans last Friday (she's in remission from kidney cancer) -- combine that with the fact that I was doing all this experimenting, and you can imagine the result. I will say that the fact that I didn't gain weight is impressive. ;) If you have to fight stupidity (I do! "Maybe these are magical and the more I eat, the more I'll lose!") and love to bake, you might want to be careful ...

If, however, you have a modicum of sense, I think this stuff is great. Don't think you can eat an entire chocolate cake, but use it as you would a fat in a regular recipe. Next experiment for me: I make my own protein bars, and they require a certain amount of fat. Cool application!

Very low-fat Cocoa Brownies

Ingredients
1 cups Z-Trim
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 large egg whites
1 cup white whole wheat flour

Special equipment: rectangular baking pan
preparation
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325F. Line the bottom and sides of the baking pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.

Combine the Z-trim, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork or spoon until mixture is smooth.

Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the egg whites one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Spread evenly in the lined pan.

Bake until a toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 25 - 30 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack.

Lift up the ends of the parchment or foil liner, and transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Cut into squares.

jtammy
04-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Calypso, Thanks for posting the results of your experiment. It's so helpful to know what to expect before ordering something.

alinnell
04-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Calypso,
Double that on the thank you!!! I still have the thought of using Z-Trim or a Z-Trim combo when making a white sauce. I just haven't had the time to experiment with it. I mostly use it to lessen the fat in my sour cream.

cbmare
04-30-2007, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=CalypsoZ;1674769]Made brownies again, for a church meeting.
Very low-fat Cocoa Brownies

Ingredients
1 cups Z-Trim

Are you using the powder made into the gel?

Thank you for all this experimenting and sharing the results with us!

CalypsoZ
04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Yes, in all my baked goods recipes, I'm making 4/1 gel -- 4 rounded tablespoons per cup of water. I give it about three minutes of buzz with my immersion blender.

girl81
05-03-2007, 03:25 AM
has anyone tried to make ice cream with it? I was just going to use it to replace the heavy cream in this recipe and use egg beaters, splenda, and fat free evaporated milk.... what do you think?

2eggs
3/4 c sugar
2 c heavy whipping cream
1 c milk
2 tsp vanilla

CalypsoZ
05-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Sounds good! Let us know how it turns out.

girl81
05-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Caly,
I haven't purchased or seen the trim Z yet. Judging from your experience, do you think it would work in this fashion?
also, how many calories does it have. I know it says 0 but it must have some since it says that it has trace carbs and is made from corn.

CalypsoZ
05-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Girl 81 -- calories, all I know if what's on the label. But I believe that pure fiber is not broken down by your body -- so if this is pure fiber, there would be no calories. But I'm no scientist, so don't go by my opinion.

I think it would work great for ice cream or frozen yogurt. I planned on experimenting, but have been too busy.

I did, however, make frosted cupcakes that turned out great. Vanilla cake mix, z trim, water and egg whites for the cake. Frosting: I messed with a cream cheese frosting recipe -- it wound up, roughly, being 4 oz cream cheese, 1 cup thick (14 tbsp z trim to 1 cup water) Z trim, 4 cups powdered sugar, and I think a half cup of cocoa powder. Wasn't quite right, so I added in more powdered sugar. (Next time, would just add Z trim more gradually.)

Anyway, it tasted "normal" and everyone at church loved them. Not healthy, by any stretch of the imagination, but slightly less unhealthy than normal. :)

alinnell
05-15-2007, 07:28 PM
I really appreciate all your experimentation!!! I only wish I had time to do some myself! Thanks!

girl81
05-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I can't find the powder form. which form do you all use?

CalypsoZ
05-22-2007, 09:04 PM
I ordered the powder off the ztrim website.

Latest experiment. VERY good and a yummy way to get your orange vegetable:

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
137 calories each

3 c whole wheat flour
1 c Sugar
4 ts Baking powder
1 ts Cinnamon
1 ts Salt
2 c fat free Milk
1 can Solid pack pumpkin
1/2 c Z Trim 4/1
2 Eggs
6 oz Semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400. In large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; make a well in the center. In a small bowl, combine milk, pumpkin, butter and egg; add to well in flour mixture. Add chocolate chips; stir until dry mixture is moistened. Spoon mixture into greased muffin cups, dividing evenly (24 muffins). Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans, completely cool on racks. This recipe makes 2 dozen.

girl81
05-23-2007, 09:02 PM
they don't seem to carry the powder on the ztrim website anymore. :(

CalypsoZ
05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Girl81 -- ?

http://ztrim.com

Click on "buy now"

Scroll down and choose:
Z Trim Fat Replacement Powder Refill (8 oz)

Steelslady
06-03-2007, 01:40 AM
I got mine last week- it is AMAZING!!!!!! I used it in dips for our veggies, salad dressings, mayonaise, cream cheese, and tonight, I made my mushroom/cheese/lettuce on a omega rich pita bread, and replaced half of the Brummel yogurt margarine to saute my mushrooms in, as well as half of the light mayo with the Z trim, and it tasted FABU, just like everything else we've used it in!

I tested it out on my family- no one knew that I was replacing half of their dip or salad dressing with it, and no one noticed the difference! Tonight, they all found out, as I was replacing half of the dip with the Z trim, and they all said "yuck, I don't want to try that!" I told them they had been eating it all week long, and they were shocked. They ate it again tonight, baffled, as anything that is "fat free" or the light/fat free salad dressings are a huge turn off to most kids (I have two teens and a daughter who will be 11 next week). Even my husband loved it, and he doesn't have too much weight to lose (10 pounds now), and he was thrilled that it was all natural- no added chemicals or preservatives in it.

The only difference that I noticed is that the consistancy of things become a tiny bit thinner like cream cheese, or creamier for sour cream, but there is absolutely no difference in the tastes!

By the way, I forgot to add to my other two posts on the other boards here about Z Trim- changing nothing else in our diets but using the Z trim- I lost two pounds this week, my son lost 4 pounds (he REALLY loves his salads and veggies loaded with dressing and dips!), my two daughters one pound each and my husband, 3 pounds. :) Eleven pounds gone from all of us just substituting Z trim for half of our salad dressings, veggie dips, cream cheese and sour cream for baked potatoes. I'm going to try making potato salad with it sometime next week, as that is a favorite in our house with steak tips.

We eat a lot of bagels with cream cheese, and have at least two salads or one salad and veggies with dip two meals a day. So, there was frequent usage out of the first bottle already, we have a little left in it, thank goodness I bought four of them! Also, I am a HUGE mayonaise lover, as is my son. I used half mayo, half Z trim, and he never even knew that it was half of the fat or calories- we use Lite Mayo, by the way. I (as well as the rest of my family) just can't stand "Light" or "Fat Free" salad dressing- I can cope with most light products, but I have yet to find one salad dressing that I can stomach- so, this makes my Ranch salad dressing "Light" with no compromise to the taste!

I really love this product, and am very excited with how it's helped us lose weight in a natural manner. I will say, the only side effect we're all having, is that we do use the throne shortly after we consume it, but nothing bad, if anything, it's good for us. :) Most notably hubby, who usually only goes once a day first thing in the morning. If he has it for dinner at night, he's in the bathroom again. :D

Steelslady
06-03-2007, 01:45 AM
I didn't want to make the post above too long, but I wanted to add this. I made grilled apples with an apple crisp topping on the grill last week. I replaced all of the fat with half Z Trim and half I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, added the oats, brown sugar, and apple pie spice- delicious!!!! They were gulped down by everyone.

I'm going to try to make grilled peaches and cream tommorrow on the grill, I'll let you know how that works, substituting half of the cream cheese with the Z Trim.

Steelslady
06-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Today, I used half of the Z Trim with half of the Brummel yogurt margarine while cooking my English muffin on the griddle for breakfast. It tasted great! I had that along with two strips of low sodium bacon and one fried egg. On one of my English muffins I had one teaspoon of strawberry jelly. Total calories 332 for a nice Sunday breakfast. :)

girl81
06-05-2007, 02:30 AM
:o thank you Calypso
Girl81 -- ?

http://ztrim.com

Click on "buy now"

Scroll down and choose:
Z Trim Fat Replacement Powder Refill (8 oz)

aschenbrodel
06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Ok, you convinced me! lol
If you go to youtube you can find some recipes demonstrated by z trim

Steelslady
06-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Tonight, I made potato salad with the Z Trim- it was delicious, and it all disappeared. Of course, counting calories- the kids practically licked their plates clean. :D We had the potato salad with steak tips shish kababs, with a Smart Ones dessert. The potato salad was well worth the 113 calories. :carrot: We just love Z Trim- hubby can't believe how he can't tell the difference in the taste of foods that we use it in, and we use it everyday!

Edit- each serving is 113 calories, not 132. Sorry about that! :D

aschenbrodel
06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
What recipe did you use for the potato salad?

Steelslady
06-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Potato salad:

4 potatoes, peeled, cut into bite size pieces. Boil for 8 minutes. Drain and cool.

Mix together:

1/4 cup Z Trim
1/4 cup Light Mayonaise
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 and 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Servings: 6 Calories per serving: 113

Note- my old recipe requires 3 boiled eggs chopped up. I didn't put them in tonight, to save 240 calories for the eggs and an additional 80 calories with mayonaise and Z Trim. Adding those items adds an additional 53 calories per serving, making the servings 166 calories instead of 113 calories. ;)

Steelslady
06-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Baked Garlic Pita Bread

4 Pita halves (no more than 120 calories per 2 whole loaves of pita bread)

mix well: 1 tablespoon Z Trim
1 tablespoon ICBINB spray
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Spread mixture all over pita bread, make sure to cover it all over. I use a basting brush to do this. Sprinkle with more garlic powder if desired.

Bake in a 400 degree oven 8-11 minutes (watch oven carefully so as to not burn pitas after 8 minutes).

Serves four. Calories per pita: 75

Steelslady
06-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Eggplant Parmesan

1 eggplant, about 1 and 1/4 pounds- cut into 1/4 in slices, put in a good sized bowl of water with 1 tsp salt for 25 minutes. Drain, pat with paper towels.

In an empty spray bottle (I used an ICBINB spray bottle cleaned out), mix the following:

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Z Trim
2 tablespoons water

Shake well, put aside.

Mix together in a bowl:

1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Mix well.

In another bowl, add one egg plus one tablespoon of water. Beat egg and water.

Grate 3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese.

Mix together in another bowl 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese.

Measure out 1/2 cup Spaghetti sauce. I used Prego's Three Cheese.

Spray cookie sheet with a coat of non stick cooking spray.

Dip eggplant into egg, shake off excess. Dredge through flour. Shake bottle of Z Trim/Olive Oil/Water mixture well, spray both sides 6 times each. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, turning over halfway. Don't overcook!

Layer eggplant, tomato sauce, and cheeses into six mounds. I had three layers of eggplant in each mound. Bake in a 350 degree oven 15-20 minutes.

Serves 6, 176 calories per serving

girl81
06-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Wow Steelslady, you are certainly getting a lot of use from your z trim. :)
How do you think it has affected your weightloss endevors?

alinnell
06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the recipes!!! I'll have to try some.

Steelslady
06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Wow Steelslady, you are certainly getting a lot of use from your z trim. :)
How do you think it has affected your weightloss endevors?

I have to tell you, this is the fastest that weight has ever dropped off of me. It is helping tremendously not only with my weight loss, but the rest of my family as well. We are eating very well, just cutting back on fat and calories, and Z Trim has made a huge difference in how much we can eat as well as making foods healthier just by cutting off the fat. I found out about it on here, ordered it, and the rest, shall we say, is history. This board is a tremendous wealth of useful information and support. I'm so happy I found it last year. :D

I've lost another 2 pounds. I have to update my ticker again. :D

Steelslady
06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the recipes!!! I'll have to try some.

Glad to help. :) I'll keep posting them as I make them. I wonder if Z Trim would help in my coffee with the cream. I haven't had the guts yet to try it. :lol:

Kilketay
06-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I just got my first bottle of Z-Trim and I'm just starting to use it. I wanted to drop in and report that I replaced 1/3 of the eggs in my omelet this morning with Z-Trim and it worked fine! Couldn't tell they were missing. They were delicious!

girl81
06-12-2007, 04:41 PM
someone let me know if you try it for frozen yogurt or ice cream please. :)

Steelslady
06-12-2007, 08:20 PM
someone let me know if you try it for frozen yogurt or ice cream please. :)

It would have to be melted down, mixed real well, then refrozen. Worth a try, though. :carrot:

Kilketay
06-13-2007, 07:41 AM
I've thought about using it for ice cream or frozen yogurt - seems like it would work best for homemade ice cream. Problem is I don't have an ice cream maker! Maybe we should write to Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Daas and ask them to make an ice cream with it!

Steelslady
06-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Next time I have ice cream, I'll melt it down, refreeze it and let you know how it is. It will be awhile, though, as I don't eat too much of it. :D

mandalinn82
06-13-2007, 06:52 PM
It'd have to be a homemade ice cream recipe. If you melt a prepared ice cream down, it loses most of its texture - you'd have to refreeze it, at the least, in an ice cream maker to get the texture right.

aschenbrodel
06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I had it for the 1st time today, made a bit of a boo boo with amt, I wanted 1 tbs of mayo so I was going to add 1/2 tbs Mayo with 1/2 tbs Ztrim

GBoofed up and did 1 tbs of mayo mixed with 1 tbs of ZTrim, lol. Oh brother, I put it on my sandwiche and realized I had 2 tbs of the mayo mixture on it!
Nice and creamy tho!!

I had a stomachache right after eating my sandwich, though. Was it the Z Trim? Anyone else get a stomach ache?

I have a sensitive stomach, so it could have been anything really. I'll try again at dinner or maybe wait till tommorrow and try Ztrim in something else.

alinnell
06-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I haven't gotten a tummy ache or anything else from using the Z-Trim but I don't have a sensitive tummy. Oh, that's a lot of mayo on your sandwich!!!

aschenbrodel
06-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Lol, I know! I didn't even realize how much I made til after I finished the sandwich!
My stomach was "iffy" all evening so it might have just been me.
I'll be making the sammich again today - WITH the proper amt of may, so we'll find out.

aschenbrodel
06-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Well I ate it again today and no stomach ache, so it was just a touchy stomach yesterday!

I want to make some muffins using spice cake mix and pumpkin, the WW recipe. I've made them before and they were good, but kinda lumpy and very small.
Only 97 calories, so I shouldn't complain.....too much!

If I added ztrim, would it make them a bit bigger and moister maybe?

girl81
06-15-2007, 05:09 AM
what is the recipe? do they call for baking powder or baking soda?

Steelslady
06-15-2007, 06:50 PM
I made the Lipton Onion Soup mix Roasted potatoes recipe tonight. I used two tablespoons of olive oil and two tablespoons of Z Trim, and they tasted awesome. :carrot: I served it with Chipotle chicken- total calories for the meal was 404. :D

candcmama
06-15-2007, 11:36 PM
If you want to make homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker, you put all your ingredients in a quart-sized ziplock bag, seal it up, and put that inside a gallon-sized (or bigger) ziplock. In the gallon bag, add ice and rock salt. Then you zip that closed, and start shaking! In a little while you'll have ice cream. (It comes out about the consistency of soft-serve).

When you take out the inner bag, be sure to rinse it in cold water so you don't wind up with a salty taste. If you like your ice cream to be very hard, put the bag of finished ice cream in the freezer for a while.

I do hope someone tries this with Z-trim. I'd like to know the results!

Steelslady
06-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Today I made a tunafish melt- a whole can of tuna, with one tablespoon of light mayo, one tablespoon of Z Trim, lettuce, Kraft 2% cheese and a Joseph's wrap that is 100 calories for a long wrap. Tasted great. :carrot:

aschenbrodel
06-17-2007, 10:22 PM
hmm...I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by z trim.
I tried it on veg dip and it was good, but the savings of calories was only 20, not worth the cost of ztrim.

I tried it on my popcorn 1 tbs mixed with 1 tbs butter, and all I got was gloppy butter.
I tried melting it with my Better Than Peanut Butter and it turned it really weird.
I am already used to using light mayo on sandwiches, and fat free cream sauces, so I'm a bit puzzled about when I would use it now that I have it.
It doesn't seem to be too cost effective just to save 20 calories on veggie dip.

girl81
06-18-2007, 10:29 PM
hmm...I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by z trim.
I tried it on veg dip and it was good, but the savings of calories was only 20, not worth the cost of ztrim.

I tried it on my popcorn 1 tbs mixed with 1 tbs butter, and all I got was gloppy butter.
I tried melting it with my Better Than Peanut Butter and it turned it really weird.
I am already used to using light mayo on sandwiches, and fat free cream sauces, so I'm a bit puzzled about when I would use it now that I have it.
It doesn't seem to be too cost effective just to save 20 calories on veggie dip.

Steelslady has made some excellent suggestions.

Kilketay
06-19-2007, 07:57 AM
aschenbrodel, I had some of the same questions you do. I already eat mostly low fat products. The Z-Trim website says that it's best use is to get the flavor of a full fat product while cutting calories/fat. But I'm already adjusted to low fat and don't really want full fat things.

I've still found Z-trim useful in recipes. For example, I make a whole grain rice dish that calls for 2 tsp of olive oil. I cut back on the oil and replace most with Z-Trim. It turns out even better! It's a little juicier/creamier with Z-Trim. I also use it as an extender. So if my meal plan calls for 1/2 T of low fat mayo on my sandwich, I might add some Z-Trim and make it a full tablespoon. It works really well to extend light sour cream. I've also been using it to replace some of the full fat foods I eat. So, I like real whole eggs some mornings ... I replace some of them with Z-Trim. My downfall is delicious full-fat cheeses. I've been experimenting with turning them into a cheese sauce and adding Z-Trim for part of it. I'm not sure yet that Z-Trim is fully worth the price and will become a staple of my diet, but I'm enjoying experimenting with it.

iminhere
06-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I am ordering the Ztrim from Netrition.com...that's where I get my Walden Farms stuff and they charge a flat rate for shipping....(4.95)

I am hoping to use it for salad dressing...I love vinaigrette style dressings and the fat free is just NOT GOOD.....the taste is ok...but the mouthfeel is definitely not.....

I am going to try adding it to a fat free vinaigrette and see if it makes it better....

I was also thinking of adding it to my stirfrys to improve the texture....

I was wondering if anyone had added it to their coffe yet....

alinnell
06-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Wow. I think their price for the Z-Trim is less than what I paid, too. Next time, I'll use this site. thanks!

Kilketay
06-27-2007, 07:06 AM
I've added it to my stir-fry, and that worked out pretty well - it adds a fatty texture. I haven't tried it in coffee yet! Let us know how it works out.

iminhere
06-27-2007, 01:43 PM
I haven't tried it in coffee yet! Let us know how it works out.

I wasn't gonna do it!!!:eek:

I was waitin for somebody ELSE to do it!!! :lol:

aschenbrodel
06-27-2007, 02:27 PM
girl81, yes she has some great ideas, but mostly I do the same without ztrim.
Her wrap above, using ztrim saved about 20 calories.
The cost of the ztrim, at least until it is locally available, is not worth saving 20 calories, when I can save more using low fat items.
Example-my sandwich yeterday could have been made 3 different ways, with varying calorie results.

2 piece bread-90 cal, turkey-60 cal lettuce & tomato & jalapeno-20 cal, fat free cheese-35 cal, 1tbs miracle whip-40 cal total=215 cals

Same sandwich with 1/2 tbs miracle whip 1/2 tbs ztrim= 195 cals

Same sandwich with 1 tbs fat free mayo NO Ztrim = 185 cals

kilketay, yes, I'm experimenting too and at 1st I was excited. But I guess I don't make the type of things that I could use ztrim in.

Would be cool if it was WAY cheaper. I'd start adding it in my family's foods.
THEY eat that type of stuff that could use it. Casseroles, cream sauces etc etc.
It would cost a small kingdom to use it on all of us.

I did have a great idea of adding it to mashed avocado. That would save quite a bit of calories for a taco salad.
Hmmmm....I guess I just need to keep experimenting like you said.
Sure wish it was cheaper.

Steelslady
06-27-2007, 08:59 PM
For me, it is a HUGE help, maybe because I have so much weight to lose? I just started dieting again six weeks ago, so I am at the top of the scale for now.

I can't eat "fat" free mayo, cheeses (most cheeses, some are fine), sour cream or salad dressings- they just taste awful to me, and I can't choke them down, try as I have to get used to them. Those have always been huge staples in my diet, so Z Trim has helped me tremendously cut down on the fat and calories in those products while keeping the same taste.

I notice that you are at your goal weight! Congratulations! One day, I hope to be at my goal as well. Z Trim is assisting me at getting there- it's no miracle product, as in taking all of the calories or fat away, but it makes a difference in my food choices and gives me many more options to pick from.

I am sure it is not for everyone- my husband absolutely hates diet sodas and low calorie maple syrup, whereas I like those products. You have to eat what you like to stick to with it, and if the product isn't for you, then you shouldn't use it. :)

aschenbrodel
06-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Sorry steelslady if it sounded like I was whining.
I am a grumpy lady.
Maintainance has been getting tough for me lately with my foot surgery.
I was in a cast and wheelchair for 6 weeks and now a walking surgical boot for an additional 3 weeks and without exercise I am feeling deprived food-wise. I seem to be either starving or overeating lately.
We have a gazillian b-days like yesterday and it is so easy to over do the celebration foods with all the family over.

But I will say again that if it wasn't so darn expensive I could and would use it for my family because they eat things that could use ztrim.
I have 7 kids, 5 that are teens, and I would love to change their eating habits for the better. Zsoft works for different foods, just not what I eat.

Steelslady
06-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Oh, no need to apologize! You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and who knows if I wouldn't feel the same way if I was down at my goal weight? For me, it is a blessing for the time being. One day, I may not need it, but for now, I am just grateful it is available, as costly as it is. :)

Sorry about your foot- back in my early 20's, I had bunion surgery as well as my big toe cut in half and a pin put inside of it. It was frustrating, as I love to exercise, and all I could do was arm exercises, crunches, and leg lifts with one leg. I was so happy to be able to walk again.

I have two teens and an 11 year old. It has helped tremendously with their diets! They are all salad lovers and eat lots of veggies with dips, and you know kids, one tablespoon of dip lasts one baby carrott, LOL. Thankfully, they don't have too much to lose, but it sure has helped them out to keep enjoying their salads and veggies!

I hear you about family functions! We just got back from out west for a wedding. It also seems like every time I turn around, there's one more sports banquet, birthday party, etc in the month of June, all to which have no-no foods. All I can say is, thank goodness I do calorie counting, as I don't know what I would have done if I was on a low carb diet- I'd have failed miserably this month!

My sister in law called today to say they are having a B-day celebration for her Dad in a couple of weeks, but we won't be able to attend then due to our vacation that week. I thought I was going to get out of it, but of course, she's going to change the date so we can all be there- argh! Oh, and Fourth of July is coming up, but I have a bunch of healthy foods planned for that day, so we won't blow it.

I hope your foot feels better soon!

prism68
06-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I just ordered 4 bottles from netrition; thanks for the information and site.

I haven't read ALL the posts in this thread, but I plan to add it to full-fat salad dressings 'cause I love salad but hate 'lite' versions of dressing. I hope this will help me eat all those vegetables called for on the Fat Smash Diet :)

I really can't believe this is the first I've heard of this; it snuck up on me.

Greens
08-04-2007, 10:46 PM
I've been using the Z trim appetite suppresant capsules for about five days. I've also been bicycling a lot. My weight is down about 4 pounds. I've been eating less. I'm not a hundred percent sure my appetite is suppressed. It may just be that I want this to work. Also, I used five capsules on my first meal. I weigh 270 so that's about right maxing it out. I was feeling about as constipated as i've ever felt for two or three days. Since then I've dropped to 2 to 3 capsules with each meal and haven't had problems. It was getting a little worrisome.

Greens
08-04-2007, 10:51 PM
I decided to drop a capsule of Z trim appetite suppresant into an eight
ounce glass of warm water to see what would happen. I believe Z trim is
insoluble fiber.

Compare the results of my experiment with the video z trim has on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD_qM8gHGIM&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Ecrgq%2Ecom%2Fonline%2Fs hop%2Fcustom%2Easp%3Frecid%3D5

Within 2 minutes the capsule released it's contents. After awhile everything settled to the bottom. 47 minutes into the experiment and there's a little pile of white fuzzy stuff on the bottom of the glass. The water seems to be as thin as it was when I started the experiment. It looks like I could fit all the .2grams of fiber on the bottom of the glass back into a capsule. It doesn't amount to more than a tablespoon and now it's been 15 hours.

I don't see how this can make me feel fuller. It just doesn't amount to
much, but then it is indigestible. It'll go through me entire digestive
system without being absorbed.

Suzanne 3FC
08-04-2007, 11:20 PM
We don't think the ztrim capsules are worth bothering with, either.

The fat replacement can help reduce calories a little, but only if you regularly eat the types of foods it works with.

Greens
08-04-2007, 11:59 PM
They do have a lot of testimonials about how the appetite suppresant works.

I have really enjoyed the z trim capsules for suppressing the appetite. The capsules really work, and its nice to know I'm not taking any unknown herbs or drugs. I love the fact that z trim is just food, and it helps my meal hold me till the next without being hungry. My daughter and I both have been taking them for about a month and I have lost 10lbs, and she has lost about 12! What a great idea!
Donna

I snipped some of Bert's testimony. It was too long.
He's dumping his doctor prescribed medication thanks to Z trim! YAY Bert!!!
Guess I'll keep an eye out for him in the obituaries.
I have been taking 3 capsules with each meal, with a full glass of water. I don't get hungry anymore. To date, I have lost 18 lbs with another 20 lbs to go. I want to get down to 185. Guys and Girls, if you want to see the look on your partners face when you lose that stomach, or extra lbs. try Z-TRIM APPETITE CONTROL CAPSULE. They really work. By the way, I have lowered some of my medications, and getting ready to lower them again.
Bert M.

I started using the Z-Trim Appetite Control at the end of February and in just 1 1/2 months I have lost 17 pounds. It does work, I am eating far less and I do notice the difference. After seeing my weight loss with the help of Z-Trim 2 of my employees are placing orders.
Jim P.

See all the testimonials here.
http://www.ztrim.com/testimonials.asp
And then flush your medicines down the toilet! You're free!!!

Heather
08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I will confess I don't really know anything about z-trim at all, and I'm not setting out to "bash" it here. I just wanted to say that testimonials really aren't considered very good "evidence" of something's efficacy for a number of reasons.

First, just because people report a product works doesn't mean the product is the cause of the improvement. Did they also change their diet? Exercise? Maybe that's what worked. Or perhaps it's the "placebo" effect at work. All of these explanations you alluded to in your earlier posts.

Second, we have no idea for how many people it didn't work. Maybe this group is 1/2 of 1% of all the people who tried it. If so, 99.5% of the people are throwing their money away.

Clinical research studies would be much better evidence of whether a product works or not. Then we can systematically evaluate a product's performance compared to other products in a less biased fashion. No research study is perfect, but it can certainly help rule out any number of alternative explanations and provide better evidence than testimonials!

Journey1989
08-27-2007, 04:14 PM
I just ordered z-trim from their website. If you go with the powder (8 oz) instead of the jell it is cheaper. (It is easy to mix powder and water to make the jell and the powder lasts for over a year. 8 oz powder = 10 lbs of jell) Also, there are bulk prices for the jell (if you order 6 or more you save $1.20 per bottle.)

I'm hoping to use z-trim for my family cooking and to allow me to indulge now and then & stay faithful to my calorie limit. None of my family (3 daughters + DH) is overweight, so taste is "everything." My hope is that I can substitute 25-50% of the fat in their favorite foods (pastas, baked goods, dressings etc...) without sacrificing flavor. Also, my two youngest daughters might eat more whole grain foods and fresh vegetables with sauces that add creamy textures (but not a lot of fat).

I'm excited about the possibilities and looking forward to trying some of the great recipes already posted here (as well as some family recipes from the old country that are so artery clogging that I reserve them strictly for holidays :) ).

girl81
09-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Just bumping this up to see who all is still using their ztrim? Steelslady; just curious to see if you're still seeing good things as well as everyone else. :)

alinnell
09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I have a open, partially used jar in the fridge and forgot to use it last night when I made sour cream dip for my vegetables. Oops.

girl81
10-09-2007, 05:19 AM
Does the z trim have a buttery flavor to it?

alinnell
10-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Does the z trim have a buttery flavor to it?

No. There is no flavor to it at all.

girl81
11-06-2007, 01:20 AM
I plan on using this in some of my holiday baking. I will post results. :)

girl81
11-17-2007, 04:00 AM
I had a difficult time measuring out the powder to mix it. The flakes were very airy and flying all over... did this happen for anyone else or did I receive a bad batch?

aschenbrodel
11-17-2007, 04:06 AM
Just move s l o w l y !

lol!

and for God's sake, don't sneeze!

alinnell
11-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I had a difficult time measuring out the powder to mix it. The flakes were very airy and flying all over... did this happen for anyone else or did I receive a bad batch?

I don't like the powder for that reason. It makes it very difficult to determine if you've measured it correctly. I wish the recipes did it by weight instead of by the number of cups.

aschenbrodel
11-17-2007, 12:00 PM
It's really not all that important to measure that carefully.
I make up a batch of 6 T to 1 C and take it from there. If it's too watery I had a tad bit more powder, too thick? a tad bit more water.

Let us know hoe the baking goes, I haven't used it for any baking at all and was very disapointed in the omelet, but I really like it for adding fiber and also for adding volume to creamy foods I eat like half blue cheese reduced fat dressing and half z trim for dipping veggies in.
Or peanut butter for dipping crackers.

girl81
01-23-2008, 11:29 PM
How long does the powder stay good for?

alinnell
01-24-2008, 09:57 AM
How long does the powder stay good for?

I have no idea. My jar has no expiration date, so I suppose if you keep it well sealed and don't let any moisture in, it should last a long, long time.

kaplods
01-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Has anyone used chia seeds to make a gel like ztrim? Apparently chia seeds and water make a gel that can be used as a fat replacer very much like ztrim, but with a nutty taste rather than no taste at all. Interesting, I was just curious as to taste, price, and availabity comparisons.

aschenbrodel
01-29-2008, 06:03 PM
chia seeds? Like Chia pets and Chia Heads?

alinnell
01-30-2008, 10:04 AM
chia seeds? Like Chia pets and Chia Heads?

I was thinking the same thing!! LOL I've never heard of chia seeds. Where does one get them? Speaking of seeds, I read a recipe that called for Mesquite flour. It's flour made from the ground up seed pods of Mesquite trees (quite abundant in the desert southwest).

kaplods
01-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Yep, like the chia pets. Apparently chia is one of those "rediscovered" ancient foods (if you can call anything that some people have always been eating, rediscovered). Google it, it's fascinating. Apparently the Aztecs considered it such a valuable food source, it was accepted as currency.

alinnell
01-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Wow. I googled chia seeds and read quite a bit about them. They definitely sound like a good alternative to ztrim. I may have to round some up and experiment a bit.

girl81
11-19-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm suprised this is still so unknown.

cuteazz1
11-20-2008, 07:31 PM
They will stop selling this in December so stock up if you love it.:cool:

aschenbrodel
11-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Stop selling what? Ztrim?

Why?

You know it doesn't make a lot of sense for us to buy it, it's a pain to mix up and remember to use it, but I would think that many companies could really expand their diet lines with ztrim.

Maybe they have with the generic equivalent?

MBN
11-21-2008, 07:11 AM
They will stop selling this in December so stock up if you love it.:cool:

Are you sure? The company just announced a deal with walden farms products to include ztrim in all of their products. Or are they just planning to not sell it retail, and focus on commercial/wholesale accounts? I JUST got my first order and am starting to experiment with it. I hate to think my supply will get cut off before it starts!!

Thighs Be Gone
11-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Hey, I want some of this stuff. Where can I find it?

MBN
11-21-2008, 09:15 AM
I bought mine directly from the company: http://www.ztrim.com/

gailr42
11-23-2008, 03:58 PM
I bought a jar of this and never used it. Somehow, it looked and tasted like vasoline. I experimented with it a bit, but for me, this was a "what was I thinking?" purchase.

I know lots of folks swear by it, so give it a try, but don't expect a miracle! IMHO.

kaplods
11-23-2008, 04:41 PM
I found the chia seeds in a health food store. They're quite cheap, but I haven't tried making or using the gel.

Chia sprouts (and several other types of seeds), unlike most other sprouts cannot be sprouted in water (because they make the gel-like goo). But, they're nutritious and sprouters, sprout them on damp felt or cloth instead.

While the chia pets never were marketed to use the chia for food, it is a nutritious green (but who knows if the chia pets were made from a food-safe clay, probably not which is why they weren't marketed for anything but entertainment purposes.)

As I said, I haven't tried to sprout them on fabric or felt, or for making the fat replacement gel - but when I do, I'll post my results.

cuteazz1
12-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Are you sure? The company just announced a deal with walden farms products to include ztrim in all of their products. Or are they just planning to not sell it retail, and focus on commercial/wholesale accounts? I JUST got my first order and am starting to experiment with it. I hate to think my supply will get cut off before it starts!!

Yes..I read it on the site.I guess that they are only selling it to business/corporate accounts.They are selling it until the end of this year.

MBN
12-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Yes..I read it on the site.I guess that they are only selling it to business/corporate accounts.They are selling it until the end of this year.

Yes, I see you are right!! Bummer. They are running a special according to their web site. I ordered a couple more bags, they are only selling the powder now and not the premixed gel.

"Going forward, we will concentrate the bulk of our efforts on forming solutions-oriented partnerships with the food industry. Our online store, which sells to consumers, will close at the end of this year. We appreciate your understanding as we assist the food industry in improving the nutritional profiles of your favorite food items and brands. You may continue to purchase Z Trim over our web site through December 31, 2008 at http://shop.ztrim.com/. As a thank you for being a loyal Z Trim Customer, we will include an extra 8oz bag of Z Trim powder with every order placed through our online store until it closes. [LIMIT 1 PER HOUSEHOLD]"