100 lb. Club - how many calories should an obese person eat?

Charbar
01-18-2007, 12:55 PM
It seems all the diet formulas out there are for people 20-40 lbs overweight. I'm sure these formulas can't work for me. I use fitday.com So how many calories should I eat? I know a lot of you don't eat much.. like 1400 or1600 calories. I really think, for me, that's not enough.

I think some days I ate as much as 3000 calories.... but I was gaining then.

It's so hard to come up with a number. What success have all you big time losers had?

Dana

wchs2007
01-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Well I am one that ate a very low amount of calories.
1000 calories a day.. I did not start out at 1000 calories a day.
The only thing I can say is just play with it.. Listen to your body.
I eat when I am hungry. In fact I am eating all the time at 1000 calories a day.
But I eat things that is very low in calories.
I always eat a good meal at night... During the day I eat steamed veggies.. canned veggies..boiled egg.. Can of tuna packed in water.
I will say I love these foods so it is easy for me.
Very low calories is not for everybody..
I did talk with my Dr. about my diet. He did not like my 1000 calories plan but after I told him what all I was eating he was a little more relaxed with it.
We go to church with my Dr. so he was always keeping a watch on me..
Just keep playing with your diet and you will figure out what works for you.

hautbois
01-18-2007, 01:43 PM
I've had success with 1600-1800 (but I'm also heavier than you). It really depends on your own metabolism and how much your exercising. If 1400-1600 is not enough for you, just try a higher amount (like 1800-2000) and see what happens. You can always make adjustments until you find what works for you.

Sandi
01-18-2007, 02:20 PM
I do well with 1800 calories. I'm glad that you are not wanting to go low. I agree with starting at 1800 and take it from there. You might need to go more like 1600 to lose. But every body is different. It also depends alot on how much you are exercising.

I am always looking for ways to cut back calories. I'll skip a snack here, eat 1/2 of something there. My Max is 1800, but if I come in under, I just consider it bonus! My only thing is that I am never hungry.

Let us know what you decide!

LondonJulz
01-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Charbar - I love your blog! So sweet! I used to write letters to my "future children" when I was a little kid. I wish now (that I have 2 kids) that I would have kept them. Oh well. I guess it's never too late to start.

As for your question about calories, there is a website you can go to and put in your age, height, and weight and it will calculate how many calories you should eat for weight maintenance, fat loss, and extreme fat loss.

I don't think I'm allowed to post a link here, but if you'll private message me, I'll send it to you.

Julie

GirlyGirlSebas
01-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi Dana,

Depending on your exercise each day youour current weight and the amount of muscleyou have, you probably can get away with a higher level of calorie intake and still drop pounds. Most people do have to lower this daily intake as they lose weight so the scales won't stop. Currently, I consume approximately 2000 calories a day and I walk for 45-60 minutes a day. I'm not hungry at all and I lost 5 lbs last week. I havent been on my plan long enough to really know if this amount of calories will work for long, but I'm happy now. You might have to experiment a bit to find your range. Most diets have ranges anywhere from 1200 to 2400 a day.

Charbar
01-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks ladies! I don't really do any exerice right now at all. I'm thinking of starting at 2000 (which for me is still a dramatic change).. maybe do that for a month (which would still be amazing in it's self) and maybe adjust then.

It seems like I want all the answers right now. I think the answer for the next month should be good enough. (I'm a bit of a control freak!) Baby steps, Dana, baby steps!! :baby:

howie6267
01-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I eat 1800 a day. I'm usually not hungry with that amount. If you find yourself really hungry on that amount then you may want to take a closer look at what you are eating. I try and get a least 5 fruits or vegetables a day. I eat around 300 calories for breakfast, 200 for a mid morning snack, 400 for lunch 200 for afternoon snack 500 for dinner and 200 for a nighttime snack. Sometimes I break that up different but you get the idea. I'm never far from eating. I eat about every 2 to 3 hours.

wchs2007
01-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I am just like you.. I want all the answers ( YESTERDAY would not be soon enough for me) HAHA
I think you have the right idea.. Baby steps..One day at a time...
I also love the letters to your son..
They are gone before you know it.
ENJOY THIS TIME...
My oldest is 18 and will be going to college next year. He wants to go 7 hours away.. I am stressing over this..
He was one of the reasons I wanted to take the weight off..
Feb 2006. I knew his senior year was coming up and we would be taking lots of pictures and I wanted to look good for them..
If I had not lost the weight I would have probably not let anyone take a picture of me.
Now I can wear all his clothes.. It is WONDERFUL..!!!

nelie
01-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I really try not to go above 1800 calories but some days I do. I eat around 1400-1500 calories most days. Some days I go to less than that. When I was over 300 lbs, I could eat 2000 lbs and lose but that is no longer the case for me.

djs06
01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Trial and error! If I eat more than, I don't know, 1600 or so, I don't lose... even doing an hour of cardio per day. For a long time I was frustrated because I'd eat so well and exercise and NOTHING would happen. Turns out I was just eating tooo much and sneaking in bites here and there. Now I write everything down and I try to stay below 1500. Listen to your body and see what works for you.. I'm sure it will change over time.

rockinrobin
01-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi, I see that we are the same height. Not too many 5 footers around, kind of just one more obstacle to overcome. We can't eat as much as a taller person :( , there's less room to store it. Oh well, nothing we could do about genetics.

I know you probably don't want to hear this but I usually stick to around 1200, although I have had plenty of 1400 days as well. And I do exercise. But like somebody said, it is trial and error.

I try to make those calories really count. Fiber, veggies and protein are quite filling. I eat my 3 meals a day and 2 snacks, eating every 2 -3 hours, like Howie, and drink lots and lots of water, so I'm never hungry. The first 2 -3 weeks were the most difficult and then the hunger pangs stopped as did the cravings. You really would be surprised to see just how satisfied you could be on this amount of food. I had a bottomless pit of an appetite. Not anymore.

Good luck!!!!

RitzyFritz
01-18-2007, 11:02 PM
That is a great way to do it, Howie. Would you (or anyone else!) mind giving a few ideas of some filling snacks and/or foods? It seems I'm always running out of calories before I feel satisfied, so I know I'm not eating "quality calories." Any tips or hints? I'm getting rather frustrated with spending all my calories and still feeling like I could eat a horse! Thanks!!

rockinrobin
01-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Ritzyfritz, hang in there and give it some time. I needed about three weeks to get used to the lower calorie intatke. Who even knows how much I was eating before this? I don't even want to try and figure it out. We're talking big numbers, BIG. :?:

Some low cal, filling snacks:

-2 skinny 17 calorie multi grain rice cakes w/1 tsp peanut butter
-Danon fit and free 60 calorie fat free, sugar free yogurt - very good
-jello fat free, sugar free 60 calorie puddings. Yummy. Sometimes I slice up some strawberries in it and add some fat free cool whiip
-a huge bowl of veggies, steamed
-cucumber slices with a 3 oz can of tuna in water
-not my favorite, but some people like a slice of fat free or low fat cheese
-also something I'll never eat - cottage cheese and berries
-sugar free hot cocoa
-15 pistachio nuts
-1 cup low calorie cereal, dry
-a 3 egg white omlette with veggies if you like, like spinach

Anything else you need? Just ask. :smug:

howie6267
01-19-2007, 06:41 AM
First off I find starting with protien in the morning really helps me to stay full. So I have and egg sandwich with cheese and canadian bacon for breakfast. I fry it in cooking spray and only use one slice of bread for the toast. I get a good whole grain bread so they are larger slices and I just cut it in half. That makes a 300 calorie sandwich. My snack in the morning is usually a serving of walnuts and a banana. Then for lunch I have something like a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread and another piece of fruit. My afternoon snack is usually fruit. Dinner is a number of things and then my night time snack is a serving of ice cream, yogurt and fruit or popcorn. Hope this helps. I try to eat protien and whole grains. It feels me up better. I don't try to eat good carbs but that is what my eating habits have ended up doing for me. I also stay away from all the diet foods. I use real cheese just less of it. About the only thing I do buy low fat is milk and yogurt because I like them.

RitzyFritz
01-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks, Robin and Howie! Yes, those tips do help. I appreciate your replies!

jillybean720
01-19-2007, 07:32 AM
I am a little over 280 pounds, and I know some days will be higher and some will be lower in calories. I don't aim for the same amount every day--I try to stay at or below 2000 every day, and then I try to keep my daily average for the week around 1800 or less (but not too much less). What I mean by that is I may have some days of 2000 calories (or even a little more), but I also have lower days so it balances out for the week to an average of 1800-ish per day.

I exercise an average of 30 minutes a day (can you tell I'm all about averages? If I miss a 30-minute workout one day, then I try to do 60 minutes the next day), and it's just a 30-minutes Walk Away the Pounds DVD or an actual walk outside.

As for filling snack/meal ideas, I am like Howie and eat many times a day, about every 3 hours or so. I LOVE having a smoothie for breakfast (small frozen banana, skim milk, and vanilla protein powder) becaise I have it after my workout, so it has good carbs and protein to replenish me, plus it's nice a cold after working up a sweat! In general, I don't eat many typical snack-like foods. For me, a snack might be a 200-calorie peanut butter and jelly sandwich (2 slices whole-wheat bread @ 50 cals per slice, 1T all natural peanut butter, and some no-sugar-added strawberry fruit spread) or a 200-calorie meat and cheese sandwich (2 slices bread, 1 thin slice Swiss cheese, 1 slice each ham and turkey, smear of soy mayonnaise).

And my dinners are all just healthier version of "normal" foods. For example, tonight we are having bacon cheeseburgers. I use turkey burgers instead of beef, thin-sliced Swiss cheese (half the calories of regular thickness and still large enough to cover the burger), center-cut bacon (25 calories a slice and 40% less fat than regula bacon--I don't like turkey bacon), and wheat buns (80 calories each). I'm thinking of pizza tomorrow: whole-wheat Boboli crust, sauce, reduced-fat mozzarella (or Italian blend shredded cheese, if I can find it), and maybe some turkey pepperoni. By making it myself, I can have an entire half of a pizza for 500 calories or less, whereas you could have that many calories in a single slice of restaurant pizza.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-19-2007, 09:59 AM
. Would you (or anyone else!) mind giving a few ideas of some filling snacks and/or foods?

I'm not sure how many calories are involved in what I eat as my plan doesnt require that I track calories, but here are some of my favorites.

Smoothies - made with silken tofu, fat-free yogurt and lite soy milk with some sugar free vanilla syrup or sugar free jello mix added in for flavor...you could add fruit for flavor, too. I'm not eating fruit yet, so I use the sugar free flavorings.

For snacks, I love celery with 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter or with Laughing Cow Lite Swiss cheese. Yum Yum! I also love to broil 1/2 a tomato with 1 tbsp of pesto or with a thin slice of part skim mozarella. Sometimes, I'll have a lettuce wrap....just roll up a piece of Healthy choice turkey with low fat cheddar inside the lettuce leaf...its like a little handheld chef salad.

RitzyFritz
01-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks, Jill and Rhonda! Those are all good sounding tips! I love Laughing Cow cheese but never thought to put it on celery! Gonna definitely try that one...as well as the rest.

Thank you so much!

djs06
01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Lately I'm into celery with one "wedge" of lowfat Laughing Cow cheese. It tastes like cream cheese, only YUMMIER, with 35 calories for the whole thing! If I'm having a salt craving, I have a small bag of veggie chips or snack-size bag of Chex Mix or Pirate's Booty (as long as I only take ONE bag.. hahaha). A few Wasa crackers or rice cakes with 1 tbsp of peanut butter is nice for protein and keeping you full and alert :)

I try not to snack a lot becuase the snacks are what got me here.... as much as I can pig out on meals, that is *not* what got me fat. The trick for me is making sure that I monitor my snacks VERY closely.

nelie
01-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Fiber and protein are really the key to help filling me up. Here are some things I do.

- If I'm hungry after eating or I don't want to eat any more but I'm feeling hungry, I'll drink a fiber drink. I buy psyllium husk powder for this specific purpose. If you mix it in water, then drink it will help fill you up. Also mint tea is good for this as well as drinking a little lemon and water.

Other filling foods I eat often
- A protein shake with protein powder and fruit
- steel Cut oats with cinnamon, walnuts and vanilla protein powder
- carrots
- beans (I eat beans every day, often twice per day)

EnglishMuffin
01-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi,

It's really important to know what your maintenance cals are (i.e. what you would eat to maintain your weight) so that you eat as much as you can and still lose weight. Then to lose a 1lb a week you would just drop 500 cals a day off this/ 2lbs a week drop 1000 - either by reducing cals in food you consume or a combination of calorie reduction and increase in exercise. The advice I've had is if you ate 1600 cals and your maintenance cals are 3000 your body might just start holding onto the fat - it's not helpful in the long run. You need to trick your body into thinking you're not depriving it. I know others here have found it helpful to stick to a lowish calorie allowance - but realistically this is very very hard to do for years - which is how long you need to be living with this to get 100-200lbs off. I have very successfully lost weight slowly but surely by keeping my cals as high as I possibly can and still lose weight.

Some useful calculators to work out what your maintenance cals would be:

http://www.caloriescount.com - you can get a free profile before signing up
http://www.caloriesperhour.com

EM

nelie
01-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi,

It's really important to know what your maintenance cals are (i.e. what you would eat to maintain your weight) so that you eat as much as you can and still lose weight. Then to lose a 1lb a week you would just drop 500 cals a day off this/ 2lbs a week drop 1000 - either by reducing cals in food you consume or a combination of calorie reduction and increase in exercise. The advice I've had is if you ate 1600 cals and your maintenance cals are 3000 your body might just start holding onto the fat - it's not helpful in the long run. You need to trick your body into thinking you're not depriving it. I know others here have found it helpful to stick to a lowish calorie allowance - but realistically this is very very hard to do for years - which is how long you need to be living with this to get 100-200lbs off. I have very successfully lost weight slowly but surely by keeping my cals as high as I possibly can and still lose weight.

One reason that people should aim to lose 1-2 lbs per week is that 1-2 lbs is a general guideline for the amount of fat that your body is willing to let go per week. For those that are morbidly obese, your body is a little more willing to give up fat at the tune of 3-4 lbs per week. After those fat lbs, your body will start getting rid of muscle because your body views muscle as something that can burn your fat stores and it wants to conserve your fat stores if you are losing too much weight. So 1-2 lbs is a good amount of weight loss per week, if you are losing more, you probably want to increase your calories a bit, if you are losing less well you may need to lower your calories, increase your activity or you can stay the same to see how your body reacts.

I would agree with you that a super low calorie diet is hard to maintain but 1400-1500 calories is pretty easy to do. I expect how I eat today to lose weight will be how I eat for the rest of my life. It is a bit of training myself to eat properly for now and for the rest of my life. I may have slip ups, but that is ok as long as I don't slip up too much.

DramaQueenLucy
01-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I looked on line to see what my calories should be when I am at my goal weight to maintain that weight and go by that amount for now I may need to adjust it some later on but for now that is what I am using. Check out this link:
http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalcs.html

Good Luck

rockinrobin
01-19-2007, 12:46 PM
No calculator or other people's experience can possibly tell you exactly how much you can lose in any given week. Week after week I ate the same number of calories with the same amount of exercise and had a wide range of weightlosses, anywhere from 1 lb to 6 1/2 lbs. We are not precise beings, losing weight is not a precise thing and neither is the scale. It is not as simple as calories in, calorie out. There are many more factors involved and that's why a calculator can not really tell anyone for sure, for sure what you are going to lose. You really have to pick a number to start with, 1400 - 1600 is very often recommended and see how that goes. And then you can tweak it as you go along.

When I started my lifestyle change I had no goals as to how much weight to lose per week. My goal was to eat healthy with enough calories to keep me satisfied and nutrition rich. My goal was also to add activity and exercise to my life. The scale will do what the scale will do.

And contrary to what has been said it IS possible to lose more then 2 lbs a week WITHOUT losing muscle. The first time I had my body fat measured was on October 30, when I weighed 244 lbs. Bodyfat was 49% at that time. Today my body fat is 36%. So, I have GAINED 8 lbs of muscle since then, while losing 38 lbs overall. So in fact I have lost 46 pounds of fat in that time period. It is imperative to exercise along with changing your diet, because you really do want to retain or better yet add as much muscle as possible.

nelie
01-19-2007, 01:00 PM
And contrary to what has been said it IS possible to lose more then 2 lbs a week WITHOUT losing muscle. The first time I had my body fat measured was on October 30, when I weighed 244 lbs. Bodyfat was 49% at that time. Today my body fat is 36%. So, I have GAINED 8 lbs of muscle since then, while losing 38 lbs overall. So in fact I have lost 46 pounds of fat in that time period. It is imperative to exercise along with changing your diet, because you really do want to retain or better yet add as much muscle as possible.

It is most definitely possible to lose more than 2 lbs a week without losing muscle but it also depends on many factors including the amount of fat that you have. I believe the research that was done on this was initially done on people that were overweight vs obese, studies after that on obese people indicated that more fat could be lost without losing muscle.

I would also say that you are a very special case in actually gaining muscle weight. Honestly, it is a very hard thing to do, heavy duty weight lifters get excited when they gain a lb of muscle. Men struggle to gain muscle weight and women struggle even more. I was doing very heavy weights for many months and although my strength increased dramatically (so much so that male weight lifters at my gym took notice) and I could feel the hardening of my muscles, I still lost a couple lbs to muscle. I didn't worry too much about it since it was such a small percentage.

EnglishMuffin
01-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi again,

Nelie I agree with everything you've said. I guess the crucial thing that I didn't mention was that I have a long history of compulsive eating and any kind of restrictive diet sends me into the bingeing zone. So I suppose the best approach for me is to eat generously. I'm not suggesting that this is the definitive way of losing weight - hope it didn't sound like that - as I'm totally an advocate of finding the right way for you. But I do think it's a fallacy that you 'have' to follow a low calorie diet plan in order to lose weight - you just have to follower a lower calorie plan than is your requirement. But not to say that those who wish to do the former are wrong!

EM

rockinrobin
01-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Well Nelie, lucky me, this is where I had an advantage, being so very obese and full of pure fat, starting BMI of 56, and sooooo out of shape that I was able to build muscle quickly.

Again, I just think one has to get out there and do it. Eat less and move more. And whatever the numbers are, they are.

rockinrobin
01-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Englishmuffin, we posted at the same time.

Yes, I agree every one must find what is right for them. People have got to understand - There is no one size fits all formula for weightloss. Period.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-19-2007, 04:55 PM
It is not as simple as calories in, calorie out.

I am so glad to hear someone else say that! I wish it were always as simple as calories in minus calories out. I've tried several diets without much success...and I was committed and worked out at the same time. These were well known diets that were considered to be healthy. These diets allowed me approximately 1600 calories a day and I was doing my walking program also. How frustrating! I'm finally having success with a diet that eliminates all "white" starches...ie, white potatoes,rice,bread and pasta and concentrates on healthy wholesome foods with low glycemic indexes and on healthy fats in moderation. I'm eating approximately 2000 calories a day. The weight is now finally coming off for me. :carrot: There are medical reasons why some people can't lose weight or have a very difficult time losing...such as menopause, hypothyroidism and diabetes or insulin resistance.

Charbar
01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks all for your insight. I know that I will get the shakes at 1400 calories. My plump body will go into shock.. and that's just not good. I have put a range for myself of 1700-2200 into fitday.com and will go from there. I have a goal for the first month to lose 10 lbs. I know that is a lot.. but I should have good results, considering it's my first month. I know most months will end up being around 5 lbs.. and that's great too. No exercise for me yet. I will wait till I go to the doctor in a few months.. March maybe.

It's time of the month for me right now.. so I feel like I've gained 10 lbs!! Today I ate 2 oreos... :nono: but I did include them in fitday - and I will not go over in calories.. so that's okay.

Tomorrow we are going to Applebees... I'm going to decide now what I want :) I know they have a ww menu :)

nelie
01-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Char, are you eating a lot of carbs? I'm not sure why you would get the shakes at 1400 calories. I get really low blood sugar if I eat too many carbs which is why I try to limit my carbs and mostly to fiberish carbs. I would definitely ask your doctor about getting the shakes if that happens.

Charbar
01-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Maybe? All I know for sure is as of last week I was eating at min 3000 calories a day.. cutting that in half, I believe, is too drastic for me. I am going to stick to around 1800-2000.. I will be proud of myself if I can do this solid for one month.

I have a link to my fitday.com on the side here. Feel free to take a look and comment. I know that I have to increase my fruits and veggies. The fact that I'm having "a" fruit is a big deal! :dizzy:

Dana

jillybean720
01-20-2007, 10:27 AM
All I know for sure is as of last week I was eating at min 3000 calories a day.
At 3000 calories, were you gaining weight or maintaining your weight? If you were not gaining, then cutting even to 2000 may be too drastic and could slow your metabolism. If 3000 is your maintenance level, then you should be able to lose safely on even 2500.

Sandi
01-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I had a RBM (Resting Basil Metabolism) done a while back at a local health club. It costs about $65.00.

It told me some interesting things... One was that my metabolism was between normal and fast, so no blaming my weight on a slow metabolism. It told me that at rest, I expended 2462 calories (I weighed 316 at the time). Add my lifestyle & activity & I needed 738 more. So that means I need 3200 calories just to stay where I'm at (was at). They recommended I eat from 1970-2462 calories to lose weight. I bumped it down to 1800, but that's pushing it.

But isn't it interesting that I can eat 3200 calories a day to maintain...the difference between 3200 and 1800 is 1400. Which sounds huge unless you grab a medium #2 from Wendy's - double cheese w/ fry. That's 1190 right there. Or stop by DQ for a medium Chocolate malt - 900 right there! With all the fast food / junk food available, it's no wonder we are such an obese nation. It's so easy to be fat.

rockinrobin
01-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Drastically reducing your calories should NOT slow down your metabolisim. Drastically reducing ones caloric intake is a GOOD thing, if one was eating too much. Like I was. One's metabolisim will not slow down if you eat frequently, every 2 -3 hours starting with breakfast and if you add activity to your life. Provided you are eating at least 1200 calories a day. Obviously that is just a "general" rule. We are ALL different.

jillybean720
01-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Drastically reducing your calories should NOT slow down your metabolisim. Drastically reducing ones caloric intake is a GOOD thing, if one was eating too much. Like I was. One's metabolisim will not slow down if you eat frequently, every 2 -3 hours starting with breakfast and if you add activity to your life. Provided you are eating at least 1200 calories a day. Obviously that is just a "general" rule. We are ALL different.
Actually, what happens when you reduce your calories is you basically train your body to become used to the lower amount of calories. Your body begins burning more efficiently, which sounds like it would be a good thing (and it is if you are already at a healthy weight and want to live longer), but it learns to live on what you give it (to a certain extent...obviously, if you completely starve yourself, your body can't adjust to functioning on close to nothing). Therefore, if you feed your body fewer calories, it will eventually adjust to live on that amount of calories, thereby reducing your metabolism. Also, you're body is no fool--if you don't feed it enough, it will turn to burning muscle, not just fat, since muscle is a more efficient source of energy (and then losing muscle leads to yet lowered metabolism since muscle at rest burns calories, whereas fat at rest is just there to take up space). This is why you shouldn't drop your calories too drastically all at once.

You are correct that reducing calories "if one was eating too much" is a good way to lose weight, but if you were maintaining your weight at X amount of calories, then you do not have to drastically reduce them in order to lose.

Dana, I think you've done a fabulous thing in monitoring your calories before trying to determine the amount you will eat to lose weight. IMO, this is the #1 mistake most dieters make. They have NO IDEA how many calories they were actually consuming before, so they rely solely on the word of others or on inaccurate online calculators to tell them how much they should eat to lose weight. You've done yourself a HUGE favor by recognizing your starting baseline of 3000 calories a day so you can work from there :)

rockinrobin
01-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Jilly not for one second did I want to seem to say that one SHOULD drastically reduce their calories. That was not at all my intention. I am a firm believer that everyone has to do what is best for them. That that is an individual thing, not a calculator or anyone elses experience can possibly be an accurate judge fior what is right for each individual person.

But as far as slowing down your metabolisim I still firmly believe that there are ways to keep it moving. Increasing your exercise, switching around your calories every 3 or 4 days and eating small frequent meals are ways to keep your metabolisim moving. That's just my opinion, based on experience, based on other people's experience and based on professional advice. Jilly, I am really, really not looking to argue with you. There is no one formula across the board that can possibly tell anyone what will definitely work for them. It is most definitely trial and error. NOBODY should do what they're not comfortable with.

For me PERSONALLY, and that's just me, I had to drastically reduce my calories, to tell you the truth I haven't a clue as to how much I was consuming prior to changing my lifestyle. But it was enormous I am sure. Dana, that is GREAT that you know how much you are eating now, what a huge help that will be for you to determine how much you are willing to cut back. I wish I had known. If I was eating say 4000 calories, reducing it to 3000 wouldn't have worked for me. For me and me alone, I needed to completely change and revamp my eating (activity level as well) habits. For me and me alone, I had to give it an all or nothing approach as I was doing so much wrong. This is what I have found to work for me. Slightly reducing my calories wouldn't have left me with an in control feeling, it would have given me too much leeway for overeating. Something I couldn't risk doing. I am a 43 year old mother of 3 children and I had wasted enough time eating unhealthy and being inactive. I was terrified that my children would be G-d forbid, without a mother. It was time for me to get real and deal with my obesity. And drastically reducing my calories is what I chose to do, and thank G-d, so far I have been successful, though I have a long way to go. I eat anywhere between 1200 and 1600 calories a day. Although I've had a few days higher and one or two lower. So I am most definitely giving my body enough fuel. And yes, this most certainly was a DRASTIC reduction, from what I was doing before. And I greatly increased my activity level. Again, broken record time - this is what is working for ME.

Charbar
01-20-2007, 11:39 PM
At 3000 calories, were you gaining weight or maintaining your weight? If you were not gaining, then cutting even to 2000 may be too drastic and could slow your metabolism. If 3000 is your maintenance level, then you should be able to lose safely on even 2500.

I was drinking 3 reg cokes a day ~180 calories each.. plus eating crap.. all day. So I know 3000 was a norm.. most days. I am 246 lbs.. only 5 feet tall. I never drank water. I was very slowly going up... maybe 1 lb every 3 months.

So my goal for the first month is 2000 (crap.. I did go over today - BUT I DID PLAN TO GO OVER - and I did record it. I had a planned breakfast, lunch - then I planned to blow the dinner)
so.. 2000/day for one month.. then make adjustments.

Thanks ladies for your input.. each one of you made a difference!!

Dana

Charbar
01-20-2007, 11:45 PM
But isn't it interesting that I can eat 3200 calories a day to maintain...the difference between 3200 and 1800 is 1400. Which sounds huge unless you grab a medium #2 from Wendy's -

:rofl: Sandi.. you are too funny! but it's true. You can "blow it " so easily, there is so much tempation. What was tempting for some or an occasional fast food meal for some became the norm for me.

Sandi I do believe I was maintining on about 3000 calories a day... and gaining on 3250 a day.... wow!

Kind of sick.. but when you are this fat... you can still get a lot of calories (a lot to the "normal sized" people)

The fact that I could lose weight on 2000 calories, but someone else will gain - amazing how our bodies work :o

nelie
01-21-2007, 12:01 AM
I remember the days when I would drink a 6 pack of coke every day. Unfortunately for me, when I stopped doing that, i didn't lose any weight. I probably started eating more. I don't know because I wasn't trying to lose weight then, I was just trying to cut the coke habit.

Charbar
02-15-2007, 02:27 PM
UPDATE:

Well I said I was going to try and count calories for one month. I wanted to know a month ago how many calories to eat to lose weight. The results are in. I logged in fitday.com for one month. I started at 246 lbs.. lost 10 lbs... I ate an average of 1951 calories per day. (I love that fitday can do all these numbers)
I realize that I'm going to have to slowly drop my calories - but I'm happy with the weight lose and that I didn't have to starve!

Dana

lottie63
02-15-2007, 03:42 PM
I use www.thedailyplate.com (it's like fitday only more comprehensive) and it picks your calorie intake for you based on your weight and activity level. It says I need about 1,537 cals a day in order to lose 2-3 lbs per week.

Charbar
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
I've never heard of that site.. thanks for posting. I'm going to check it out!

Dana

RitzyFritz
02-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I too have noticed the daily plate is "better" than FitDay.

beautifulone
02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Dana, congratulations! :D

I've always wonered that if I start too low (ex. 260 lbs 1500 cals) then by the time I'm like 200 lbs, I'll have to seriously restrict my intake to like 1200 and substantially increase my exercise just to lose! I don't if that makes any sense, it's just something I've always contemplated. So instead I am shooting for a happy medium, eat healthy, not restrict myself, and so far I am losing. So far so good :)

SexyRevealed
02-15-2007, 11:39 PM
The daily plate suggested 2300 for me... I think that's too many. I've been averaging around 1500, but I think I may be stalled. Maybe I'm not eating enough? I think I'll try to bump it up to 1800 and see what happens. But I'm so full on 1500, I don't know where I'll find an extra 300 calories.

mrstrucker
02-16-2007, 06:35 AM
I have a booklet that gives a table of how many calories/day a person should eat:

Activity Level
Weight Non-Active Lightly Active Moderately Active

110 1452 1573 1694
120 1584 1716 1848
130 1716 1859 2002
140 1848 2002 2156
150 1980 2145 2310
160 2112 2288 2464
170 2244 2431 2618
180 2376 2574 2772
190 2508 2717 2926
200 2640 2860 3080
210 2772 3003 3234
220 2904 3146 3388
230 3036 3289 3542
240 3168 3432 3696
250 3300 3575 3850
260 3432 3718 4004
270 3564 3861 4158
280 3696 4004 4312
290 3828 4147 4466
300 3960 4290 4620

It doesn't show what the calories should be over 300 but I hope this helps. I know it at least gave me a good idea of what I should be shooting for.

Charbar
02-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the chart. This must be to maintain your current weight. I think the chart also needs to take into account height (or maybe just bmi) I'm only 5 feet tall.. if I was 5'6 my calorie intake should be different.

Dana

rockinrobin
02-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Those charts and calculators are very general and do not take into account individuals. I find the only way to know for sure is trial and error. And it varies even with in ourselves, it always needs to be tweaked. We all have to find out for ourselves what works for us.

And Dana if we were 5ft 6in. ummm we could eat more. But we're not. We're 5foot nothing, so we can't. Shucks.

Mstrucker those numbers sound very high. Maybe it's a burn calorie chart, not what we should be consuming chart. Cause those numbers would cause most people to GAIN weight. Lots of weight. I think.

nelie
02-16-2007, 10:00 AM
You should also talk to others here who are in the low to mid 100s and have lost over a 100 lbs, they aren't eating a whole lot. Meg has posted some information in the past where there is research about those that have been morbidly obese and have lost weight. Apparently, our body really really wants to be obese so we have to eat a lot less than someone who has never been obese and weighs the exact same.

I have a lot of muscle so that gives me a bit of leeway but not a lot. If I don't eat 2000 or less, I'm not losing or maintaining, I'm gaining. One reason I do work on weight lifting is that it does help build your metabolism and so minor slips won't turn out into major gains.

Kae
02-16-2007, 10:27 AM
I have heard that to give a general guess at how many calories your body needs to maintain it's weight you multiply your weight by ten.

So if you weigh 240- (x 10) = 2400 calories a day to maintain your weight at 240 lbs. Anything less will help you lose weight. I wouldn't cut down to 1000 calories or anything crazy, ease into a happy medium.

rockinrobin
02-16-2007, 10:33 AM
And to lose you multiply by 7. According to "they". But again, that's just on paper.

jillybean720
02-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I have a booklet that gives a table of how many calories/day a person should eat:

Activity Level
Weight Non-Active Lightly Active Moderately Active

280 3696 4004 4312
290 3828 4147 4466
300 3960 4290 4620
Oh, that is funny. If I regularly ate over 3600 calories a day, I'd be gaining weight like crazy :dizzy:

Sandi
02-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I have also heard to multiply it by 12 (to maintain). There are so many different numbers out there.

There is also the theory that you take what you want to weigh (139 for me) and multiply it by 12 (what it would take to maintain that weight). That would put me at 1668. Not too far off from the 1800 I shoot for.

kaplods
02-17-2007, 10:01 AM
In my 20's, weighing about 300 lbs, I probably was eating around 4000 calories, as I would lose 5 - 7 lbs a week on 1500 calorie diet. However, I was fairly active, especially for my size.

Dieting, health problems that make it difficult to exercise, and a sluggish thyroid (but not quite low enough to warrant medication) have slowed my metabolism to a crawl. Now 1500 calories will generally let me lose a pound or two.

Trial and error is the only way to determine your calorie needs, and the best way your body loses weight. I have found that where my calories come from actually does seem to make a difference. 1500 calories of processed foods (frozen dinners, low fat snack foods...) seems to slow my weight loss, and 1500 calories on a whole food diet (whole grains, lean meats, fruits and vegetables) seems to speed it up a bit.

This seemed to go against the "calories in/calories out" and "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" logic, but then I realized that on a more natural diet, I felt better, slept better, and was more likely to increase my activity level as a result, in ways that weren't always obvious. I think it's also one of the reasons it is often harder to lose weight when you restrict calories too much - on too few calories you have less energy and become fatigued more easily and as a result your activity level drops, sometimes in ways you may not even notice.