Weight Loss Support - Office Party - Can I pull this dress off?

mandalinn82
01-18-2007, 12:15 AM
***Note - Update with the actual dress I wore to the party on page 2!***

Everyone says I'm crazy, but I'm having WAY low self confidence about wearing this dress to the annual office party...any thoughts out there? Can I pull this off or are the arms / calves too big (as they are in my head but apparently not in anyone elses heads...).

Oh, and ignore the messy house and American Idol in the background...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/mandalinn82/officepartydress.jpg

I'm looking for tough love here - either "something else might be more flattering" or "get over your insecurities, you idiot" ;)

nicolen
01-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Mandalinn, you look absolutely gorgeous. If I looked that good in that dress, I'd wear it out. :hug:

chick_in_the_hat
01-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Get over your insecurities, you idiot....but seriously - you look great!!!

And I thought this was going to be a post about getting drunk at an office party and disrobing....

RememberHowToSmile
01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
"get over your insecurities, you idiot" ;)

I think the dress looks great on you. If I could wear something like that I would in a heart beat. Enjoy the office party.

redlight
01-18-2007, 01:11 AM
Looks good! Enjoy the party!

House_of_Mirth
01-18-2007, 01:12 AM
get over insecurities idiot

The dress is fabulous and you are fabulous in it! Be confident! Be daring! Wear crippling gorgeous shoes!

mandalinn82
01-18-2007, 01:32 AM
I am hereby smacking myself in the head on behalf of all of you.

The eyes need to start matching the brain here, people, or I'm going to drive myself and everyone around me crazy. The brain says "ugh! Look at those ginormous calves! Look at the arm flab! Gross!"

I've never worn ANYTHING that girly and uncovered in my life. I know its not a ridiculously uncovered dress or anything...but my skirts and sleeves have always been 3/4 length or more, so its a big change. Also, I work from home and haven't been back to visit the office folks since before the vast majority of the weight loss, so its almost like a big "reveal" and its tripping me out.

Thank you, everyone. The dress will be worn. The shoes will be tall. And the confidence will, most likely, be faked but definitely attempted.

NewDay4MeToo
01-18-2007, 01:42 AM
I know I'm a little late, but wear those tall heels and work it! You look great!

AquaWarlock
01-18-2007, 01:59 AM
I have pretty meaty calves (and thighs... and hips/buttocks) too and I love 'em! and you look great!! strut that stuff @ the party.

BlueToBlue
01-18-2007, 03:07 AM
The eyes need to start matching the brain here, people, or I'm going to drive myself and everyone around me crazy. The brain says "ugh! Look at those ginormous calves! Look at the arm flab! Gross!"

I know exactly what you mean. Based on what others tell me, the way I see myself definitely hasn't caught up with the way I actually look. Every social event involves an ordeal of trying to find clothes that disguise what I think of as my problem areas and A LOT of reassurance from my SO. He is getting tired of me asking "does this make my stomach look poochy?" (but bless his soul, he always says "no" in an are-you-high tone of voice). It wasn't this much of a problem before I lost weight. I had a few outfits I was satisified with and that's what I wore all the time.

You look fantastic in that dress! I see perfectly proportioned calves and no arm flab whatsoever.

crazynette826
01-18-2007, 03:32 AM
A little late, but you look great in that dress. So "get over your insecurities, you idiot!!" Have fun at your party, and believe what everyone is telling you. You look great!!

midwife
01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Very lovely. Knock 'em dead!

Rosario
01-18-2007, 09:33 AM
wow, nice legs!! this dress is very flattering and you look so good!!

simone1ca
01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
OMG! YES! You can definitely pull it off! You look great in it!

Clydegirl
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
You look great wear it.

The big reveal are you nervous about going?

Su-Bee
01-18-2007, 09:59 AM
I think you look great in the dress. You look very proportionate and curvy to me - not any of those things you said about yourself!

rockinrobin
01-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Also a little late here, but you wanted tough love, well then I'll give it to you.

Are you out of your FREAKIN' mind? You have doubts as to how you look in that dress? WAKE UP - YOU"RE HOT, HOT, HOT!!!!!! :smug:

mandalinn82
01-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Thank you again, everyone.

And yes, I am very very nervous about everyone seeing the lighter me. Part of me wants to throw on a tent, cover my face with a paper bag, and hide. Of course, that isn't the healthiest attitude - so we'll wear the skimpy dress with lots of good thoughts from my 3FCers riding in my purse.

Ilene
01-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Oh, Amanda you look awesome, wear the dress... Your calves and arms are NOT big at all... I find the dress very conservative... Now if you had a v-neck down to your belly button and a slit up to your thigh, that would be a different story ;) ... Seriously, you look great in it, go and have fun and show off and reap the benefits of your hard work with all the compliments you will be getting...

Keep us posted...

Ilene
01-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Show us another pic of when you are actually going out the door all made up and everything...

Mami
01-18-2007, 12:14 PM
What calves and arms? I also say get over it idiot! You look super great!

artmaker
01-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I think you look wonderful, and agree with everyone else!.....but, I've suffered from the same insecurities, so just in case your anxiety level gets too high, perhaps you can bring along a light shawl. Not that I'm advising you to wear it....again, you look terrific, but I know how a person's head can get in the way, and this way, if you feel overwhelmed, the shawl can be a security blanket tucked inside your coat.

LostBombera
01-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Sorry, I know I'm extra, extra late

No, you're not an idiot, but you are ONE HOT MAMA . . . you are your own worse critic, give your brain a little time to catch up to the new and OH MY GATOS you, I have to say you have INSPIRED me more . . .

wear those heels, make-up, doodie up your hair and take a picture before you go . . . you will be the bell of the ball . . .

Beach Patrol
01-18-2007, 12:32 PM
I've never worn ANYTHING that girly and uncovered in my life. I know its not a ridiculously uncovered dress or anything...but my skirts and sleeves have always been 3/4 length or more, so its a big change.
I feel ya! The one thing I can't stand about myself, even when I'm THIN, is my arms. They're just .... I dunno... ICK. Batwings or whatever ya wanna call'm! I'm always trying to "hide" them or at least downplay them. Just totally not an easy thing to do. :?:

Thank you, everyone. The dress will be worn. The shoes will be tall. And the confidence will, most likely, be faked but definitely attempted.

THE DRESS looks great! YOU look great IN IT! The only thing I'd do would be to add a colorful or eye-catching necklace &/or earrings. Remember - Black is elegant, but can be boring. So jazz it up JUST a touch... You're gonna be a BIG HIT at the party! Be prepared for EVERYONE to congratulate you on your weight loss & ask "how'd ya do it??" :carrot: :D

mandalinn82
01-18-2007, 12:33 PM
You guys are seriously so sweet. I'll have someone take a picture before I leave - but you'll have to wait until Feb 10th.

cbmare
01-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Hmmm.:chin:. I :dunno:. I think you are :crazy:. :listen:! You've lost over 100 lbs. You get in there and strut your stuff! Else, when we have our California chickies get together, we're going to:kickbutt:!

alinnell
01-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Thank you again, everyone.

And yes, I am very very nervous about everyone seeing the lighter me. Part of me wants to throw on a tent, cover my face with a paper bag, and hide. Of course, that isn't the healthiest attitude - so we'll wear the skimpy dress with lots of good thoughts from my 3FCers riding in my purse.

I think Omar the Tent Maker would frown upon covering you up. Maybe burkas are standard fare elsewhere, but here in the good ol' US of A, we like to show off. And you should, too! Don't feel subconscious--you look great and you've done a lot of work to get there!

cbmare
02-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Well, did you wear the dress?

We want details.

mandalinn82
02-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Er...well....no. But not because I chickened out...because the dress had gotten a little too big (it had some gap issues in the underarm that developed in the last two weeks before). So I found another dress that I looked fabulous in, if I do say so myself...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/mandalinn82/dress1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/mandalinn82/dress2.jpg

As for details...It was the height of awkward to re-introduce myself to my boss and the CEO, as well as pretty much everyone I had worked with. People literally didn't know who I was at first. And then, of course, the falling all over themselves started. I got one very cold reception from a coworker who appears to have gained some since I last saw her, but all kinds of good responses from everyone else, at least once they recognized me.

My victories at the party, though, had less to do with how I looked and more to do with me being comfortable and how I ate...first of all, I had my one allotted glass of wine, which was a victory because normally in uncomfortable social situations I tend to loosen myself up with alcohol, the calories of which were not necessary. Second, I managed to eat a basically on-plan meal (well, more I was able to make it look like I was eating dinner while eating two bites or less of anything) from a menu that consisted of:

Appetizers - stuffed mushroom caps full of cheese and olive oil, antipasto salad loaded with dressing, meats, and cheese, and a giant cheese and cracker tray
Entrees - Chicken parm, fettucini alfredo, very heavy/cheesy lasagne, garlic mashed potatoes with so much cream that they could be poured, and the worlds tiniest dish of vegetables for a table of 8 people.
Dessert - Tiramisu and some chocolate fudge cake thing

Yeah - didn't eat much that night, but I did drink a whole lot of mineral water with lime after my one glass of wine, resisted the food pushers ("Try a mushroom cap!" "Oh, thanks, I just did, they were delicious" "Here, have the last one! (places mushroom cap on my plate...le sigh)," and the drink pushers, as well as the dessert pushers (i just left the table to go socialize when it was served, and when i came back, there was dessert served ONTO MY PLATE from the family style serving platters. I still don't know who put it there...).

Despite being uncomfortable with all of the attention, I didn't shrink into myself...despite showing off my big calves in the knee-length dress, I didn't want to hide. I even danced, quite a bit, and answered questions about my weight loss and plan when asked. I even compared fitness regimes with Lori, our marathon runner/outdoor fanatic/strength training project manager! So despite the fact that I am usually really uncomfortable with people paying attention to my weight loss, I handled it really well, I think - the night was a success.

Ilene
02-14-2007, 07:18 PM
OMG :fr: that is an awesome dress!! Even better than the plain black one!!
BTW you did lose a ton MORE weight it shows so much in you face even compared to your avatar!!

AND :coach: WHAT FREAKIN' LARGE CALVES ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??!! Seriously, I see NO large calves at all...

You look/ed great :cheer:

EZMONEY
02-14-2007, 07:56 PM
WOW! :smoking: :flame: :love: :yes: :love: :yes: You will be as gorgeous at your wedding, one month and 5 days before my daughter's, as she will!! OH YEAH! ;)

midwife
02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
So beautiful! Very nice!

sweet_talker
02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
gorgeous is right!!! you look amazing :D love the new avatar too!!

pixiefalls
02-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Amanda, I've been following your journey and you've done so wonderful. You are beautiful! The dress is pretty as well. Glad it went good:).

jtammy
02-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Love the patterned dress! You look fab!!!!!

redlight
02-14-2007, 09:31 PM
You look wonderful in that dress, it shows off your waist!

Angihas2
02-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Get over your insecurities, you idiot. A bit late but I wanted to chime in :D

I also need my brain to catch up with my eyes and my senses. I still have a sense of myself when I weighed 289. Especially when it comes to chairs the couch or getitng in and out of the car in a parking lot. Occasionally, I think Matt parks to close and will say something like, "What you think I don't need room to get out"? And he'll say "Get over yourself, you idiot". When I try and get out, lo and behold, not only can I get out of the car, I usually have room to spare, I'm just so USE to needing so much more room, yanno?

**ETA**
Did I scroll through page 2 and see the updates? No, DOH! But, I absolutely LOVE the patterned dress. It's so very flattering and sexy without the in your face sexy that borders on whiskey tango, yanno? You look fabulous and CONGRATS!! on the successful party dinner.

Luminous
02-14-2007, 11:19 PM
That dress is gorgeous and you look absolutely stunning in it!

And those are NOT BIG CALVES, doofus.

NewDay4MeToo
02-15-2007, 12:04 AM
The pictures of you in the new dress are great.

I am so pleased to see your progress- it makes me so happy for you! Congrats!

mandalinn82
02-15-2007, 12:23 AM
You guys are all so seriously sweet. I felt pretty good, I have to say, even if I am crazy about my calves being big (note - all of those pictures are taken from the FRONT, and the calves are huge from the BACK).

Off to go eat my surprisingly on-plan valentines treat (a graham cracker crust tart shell filled with sugar free chocolate pudding, ff cool whip, and raspberries...)

Nikaia
02-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Wow! I love the patterned dress, I think it flatters you more than the black one did. It accentuates your waist much more. And you KNOW it's a victory when you can pull off patterns (which tend to make people look bigger) while still looking totally great! :)

2frustrated
02-15-2007, 07:19 AM
:cp: You hottie you :hot:

You look FANTASTIC! I'm glad you had such a lovely time :)

phantastica
02-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I love the second dress. And what a perfect reason to not wear the first - too big!

Your party story is great. I like hearing that you had a fun time as well as a healthy time. Comparing workout regimes with a marathon runner! Talk about coming full circle! :)

cbmare
02-15-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm so glad I asked! You look so wonderful. You deserve to be quite proud of yourself for all your restraint at the party.