Old 01-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Need new contest idea for work.

In the fall we had a contest for work. You had to count calories each day. You had to pay the other 2 people $5.00 for each day you didn't stick to your plan. When the holidays came, we kinda let it fall by the wayside and now we are ready again. But we don't want to do the same thing. I don't even know if we want it to include money. My boss wants it to include vacation hours. That scares me to death. She said if I didn't like that, then come up with something new.

Ok, here is where I need you...new contest ideas, PLEASE!!!.

There are 3 of us. I think we are willing to do a weight loss % and make that part of it.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Why not do something similar to the point challenges we do on here sometimes?

Set 3 or 4 different goals - like, "Drink 64 oz water per day", "Record all food", "100% on eating plan", and "20 min physical activity" (or whatever goals ya'll agree on as a group).

For whatever period of time you decide on, everyone gets up to 4 points per day (or three, if you only set three goals) - one point for every goal they meet that day.

At the end of the time period, the person with the highest number of points wins. Maybe you could give people an extra point or two for each % of body weight lost at the end, if you want to include the percentage...that way, people who stay on plan but have one of those months where their body just won't drop weight aren't punished if they were doing everything right.

Prize ideas - you could all kick in a small amount of money to create a "grand prize". If your boss wants to include vacation hours, maybe you could assign each vacation hour to a certain number of points (ie 10 pts = 1 vacation hour) so everyone can get rewarded if they stay on plan.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I think the 10 points/vacation hour is a great idea!

Hmm.. if you want it to involve money... how about having a kitty? Everytime someone doesn't stick to plan, they have to put in a certain amount, and at the end of the given time, the winner gets to keep whatever's in there?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 10"

Hi - I've been a browser forever, but am trying to get into this. At my office, we just began a contest and believe it or not we have about 75% participation. Everyone was so excited - it does involve money. It follows in line with the Biggest Loser and here are the guidelines and rules we set forth:
*We weigh once per week, but once per month we have dues of $20.
*Everyone weighed in on the same day - we had one person who could not participate and she is keeping everyone's weight - she weighs us in private and keeps everything confidential.
*You can drop out at any time, but there will be no refunds.
*For each weekly weigh-in - for anyone that gains, they will owe the pot $1.00 for each pound gained.
*Once per month (at the end of the month) we will award the biggest loser of that month with $50. We are going by percentage of weight lost.
*There is no limit to the number of times someone can win the monthly pot.
*Before and after pictures will be taken on a regular basis.
*We are going to have monthly meetings to go over tips/ideas for weight loss and will do challenges, such as who can climb the most stairs, who can do the most sit-ups, etc. and as a group, we all plan to participate in the "Race for the Cute" in April 2007.
*All biggest loser awards will be based on percentage of weight lost and not the actual pounds.
*Final weigh in takes place six months after we began and we are going to have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th prizes..1st place is 70% of the pot (approximately $800, 2nd is 15% of pot, 3rd is 10% and 4th is 5%).
*When we collect money from those who gained, we plan to award that money to the percentage who lost the most number of pounds.

Anyway, everyone is really into it - not just those of us who need it, but even those who don't but just want to become more fit. We're having a blast with it and so far I have lost 13 lbs. and am exercising more than I ever have. I need to lose about 105 lbs. and for the first time in a long time am really excited.

Hope you group can get something together.
FeelingGood05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I used to do an exercise thing with a friend - the goal was to exercise 30 minutes 4 times a week. Whenever we skipped a workout we had to give the other 5 dollars.. it seemed to work pretty well. I don't think vacation hours/money should be involved... sounds kinda.. I dunno.

Isn't the point to be healthy and live a healthy lifestyle? I think weight has SOME to do with it, but for those out there who lose slowly, its basically pointless and discouraging to get involved in a competition based on weight loss. I would say the points idea is a good one!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I think we might just go back to what we did before. Pay the other 2 $5.00 any day you don't stick to your plan.

Involving weight seems unfair to me. Why should I pay someone else just because they lost more than me. If I lost, I'm happy!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Or how about a "membership fee" to buy gift cards or something of the sort for a new wardrobe or something weight-loss related?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #8  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

If you go by body percentage it is fair for everyone. I like Angie's idea but seeing as there are only a few of you that probably wouldn't really work.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote