South Beach Diet - Using legume flour in phase 1

View Full Version : Using legume flour in phase 1

mari37
01-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Hello everyone

I'm on phase 1 and I know wheat flour is bad because of its carbs... well my criminial mind began wondering if i can use other kinds of flour like lentils flour, hummus flour etc.

Basically legumes are good right? so if you dry and ground them they are still good don't they? :carrot:

There's some great recipes (especially indian) based on these flours.

Waiting for your answer
Bye

rebel
01-16-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm curious to see an "official" response since I've wondered the same thing. The only thing I can see as a potential issue is that because they are ground, the carbs that are there are more easily accessible by your system.

Hmmm.

Ruthxxx
01-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Go for it! I've used bean flour to thicken sauces and stews. Baking would take some fiddling with ingredients but it's worth a try.
Check out the black bean brownies in the Phase I Desserts as well. They are canned beans but are allowed.

mari37
01-16-2007, 10:56 AM
It could really improve my options.

Does southbeach reffers to Glycemic Index ? any one read the book? because i assume the flour's glycemic index is higher than the legumes itself.

Ruthxxx
01-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Why would it be higher? An ounce dry weight would be the same whether ground or whole. South Beach refers briefly to the GI. To understand this plan, you really should read the SB book or were you referring to the GI Book?

RocknRoll
01-16-2007, 12:34 PM
I read somewhere that the Dr. does not want any on phase one.... i'll go find the link

here you go
Flour: All flour is taboo for Phase 1, including legume, bean, and nut flours. Same for pancake or waffle mix. Cornmeal is also not permitted.

Ruthxxx
01-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Wow! I've been advising breaking the rules. Where did you find that, Rocknroll?

RocknRoll
01-16-2007, 12:42 PM
The Phase One FAQ on southbeach-diet-plan with a .com at the end

It has every question you could think of. I've been a member there off and on for a couple of years now.

Now, i believe this is the second time i've caught you with the wrong information ;) :D

Ruthxxx
01-16-2007, 12:45 PM
I think I'll just go kill myself! :lol: I've been wrong before - I've been married twice! Nobody's perfect - yet.

Scratches head and ponders - Oh Yeah, Flaxseed! :doh: