Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #1  

Default Popcorn?

I am new to this forum. I'm interested in eating healthy with fresh and whole grain foods.

I'm finding conflicting info on Popcorn...whether it's a whole grain or not. I've read both for and against.

What are your opinions?
Golden Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I guess I'm not sure what else it could possibly be. Yes, whole grain. But watch out for added nasties in microwave popcorn.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #3  

Thanks for answering Anne. I love popcorn but eat only the mini bags or Orville Redenbacher's Smart pop microwave kind. I should go back to my air popped kind. Lazy comes to mind.

You look like you are doing good on your weight. I keep losing 15lbs. and gaining 15lb. Gets tiring.

Is this BB very active?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

I usually eat microwave popcorn too, since I don't eat it very often and it is easier. I like it best though popped in oil on the stove, with salt and sometimes spices added to it.

I'm about to lose the last of the pregnancy weight from last year. Feels good to be back. I've been maintaining a 100+ lb weight loss for several years now. The maintainer board has some great suggestions on how not to gain and lose the same 15 over and over if you are interested.

This BB is pretty active, although the Whole Foods section seems to alternate busy and slow. Or maybe that's just me, since I'm not always so good about the whole foods thing.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #5  
Recovering Couch Potato

S/C/G: 168/139/135-ish

Height: 5'6"

The Smart Balance microwave popcorn is pretty good and has no trans fat and much less sodium .
Jasmine419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't care for popcorn too much myself but I do keep some of the 100 calorie packs of microwave popcorn available at work "just in case". It is amazing how much popcorn you can get for 100 calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #7  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

I LOVE popcorn!! Sometimes we do it on a weekend with the kids for a treat when watching movies. Sometimes I will get the microwave bags. But beware some of the generic ones have trans fats in them!!!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #8  

Well, I looked at my Orville R. Smart Pop and it says no trans fat but under the ingred. it says a small amount so it could be up to .5 of a gram. now, that doesn't seem like much but it could add up in a day. I hadn't noticed it before this came up. ½ here and there can add up to too much in a day. I try and watch this so will be reading ingred. better.

Don't you hate it when they say NO trans fat but there still is some? Check labels for partially hydrogenaded.
I guess the best solution is to eat FRESH everything.

Thank for all you input. Am liking your BB here.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'5"

I am a cheese popcorn junkie, so when i really want some, I pop two table spoons of kernels in olive oil and sprinkle parmesaen or ramono cheese on it. Oh so good, and olive oil is better than most...
bride2bethin is offline   Reply With Quote