Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #1  
Mel

Default How often

I will start at the gym on Wednesday. There is a class I want to do two nights a week for sure. Then I figure one more night of cardio. How often is good to work out (the class is an hour and I would work out an hour the other night)

Since I havent worked out in a long while should I start out with three days a week? But I have been told you should go 4-5 times a week but I dont want to get burnout either.

What has worked for you?

Mel

"Edited size and color so all members can read the post"

Last edited by Ilene; 01-18-2007 at 10:07 AM.
mdw2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #2  

I think anything is better than nothing! I started out two to three days a week and now go five, doing 40 minutes of cardio or taking an aerobics class. If you are just starting, I think it is more important that you enjoy it and don't find it to be a chore -- no matter how many days you chose. You have to want to go back!! (Everything I read says 3 to 4 days a week of 30 minutes of aerobic activity.)
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #3  
Mel

Thanks Shelby. My DH said not to go full bore at first so I dont burn out. I was thinking of going four days a week with Wednesday off. But I think I will start with three days (Monday and Friday off) to start. I hear once you get going and have been going for a while you crave it and want to go more. I am just one of those that feel guilty being away from the family but I am doing this so I will be around for my family.

Mel

"Edited size and color so all members can read the post"

Last edited by Ilene; 01-18-2007 at 10:07 AM.
mdw2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Mel, Pick a schedule you can stick with that you are comfortable with. Decide what it is worth giving up to achieve this, and then remind yourself of that whenever you need to. It will take commitment, so choose what you are willing to be committed to. Once you've chosen, don't think about it, don't analyze it, don't negotiate it. Put it on your calendar and DO it. Period. Never schedule anything for the same time (if you can avoid it). It is SO worth it! Also, once you have gotten comfortable with your routine (in a month or so) you can analyze if you want to add more or if what you are doing is enough.
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #5  

I am a stay at home mother and feel the same way -- that I should feel guilty not being with my kids, but maybe you could find time to do it when they aren't around or are involved in something else? I trick myself because my gym has a kids room for my 3 year old and he loves playing with the other kids, so I feel like I'm doing him a favor -- that he can play with someone besides me!!

I agree at first the gym seemed a chore to me, mostly because I envisioned everyone staring at me (all those darn skinny people!!!), but now I really miss it on the weekends.

I also find myself in a better mood and more outgoing/fun when I am exercising and dieting, so I think this is a reward for our families that we should not feel quilty about, it makes us better spouses/mothers when we learn to take some time for ourselves.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:00 AM   #6  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Along with all the other great input, I would add that you should always just do what you can and not make it all or nothing. When I joined the gym I said to myself that I would aim for three times a week. That seemed manageable. I wasn't sure if I could do more but I promised myself that I wouldn't feel bad if I only made it twice. I didn't want to let myself think that I had failed because I couldn't make it the three times and therefore think it was a waste of time.

As others have said - anything is better than nothing. And no, you don't want to burn out. Try different things and then settle into a schedule that works.

And good luck!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #7  

Default Push Hard & Get The Results!

Hey girlie - great job for getting in the groove first off! The thing that has been taught is that to maintain current weight, without changing eating habbits very much, you have to work out 3 to 4 times a week. I believe its that very reason that we fall off. If we do 3 to 4 days and skip a day, or two, we fall off thinking we blew it! Go for EVERYDAY and eat healthy, that way if you skip a day or two you still worked out 5 or 6 days and because of your meal plan change, you will see the pounds MELTING away! And dont say you dont wanna get burned out! None of us do... and thats why we have to tell ourselves its a LIFESTYLE change. Enough with the fads and the quick fixes... we've got it all in us to get the job done, and in due time - you will be so satisfied knowing that you stuck to your guns and didnt give up. P.S. even if you do just 20 minutes on the days you dont do a heavy workout anything is better than nothing and believe me it all adds up!
Summer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #8  

I'm a mom who works 2 jobs and I still make it to they gym several times a week, so you shouldn't feel guilty at all taking a few hours out of the week for yourself.

Granted, I take most of my classes before my DD gets up for school, but there's one evening a week that I'll still hit the gym. Right now, I need to work the second job AND I need to workout. It's helping me with my mood and getting me healthier.
iggystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #9  
Recovering Couch Potato

S/C/G: 168/139/135-ish

Height: 5'6"

Like everyone else has said, any regular schedule you can stick to is the right one. If you haven't been excersizing regularly, you might want to just start off with 3 days a week and work up from there. Also, be sure you're doing something you actually like to do. That might be various different classes, and it might not even always be in the gym. Personally I hate gyms with a passion, so I do daily interval training (sprinting hills, power-walking flats, all with hand weights) on a local nature trail instead.

When I started out a few months ago, 3 days a week of walking was all I could physically manage. Now I usually do 4-5 days of interval training and 1-2 days of weighted 5-8 mile day hikes a week.
Jasmine419 is offline   Reply With Quote