Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 06:48 PM   #1  

Default To 200 in 2001 (10-14 & beyond)

This is for those of us wanting to get to/below 200 in 2001 or thereabouts . We do not judge & we appreciate all viewpoints . Amen.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:06 PM   #2  

Hey all ,

I hope the thread intro is okay . I'm a little short on imagination right now . I think Kati & Christopher sucked it all out of my brain . Actually the new activities we do probably help my poor tired brain .

Dora , I gained 20 pounds this summer , too . My washer quit (spinning) & I thought I could fix it , but couldn't . I now have proof that the washer eats socks . I took the bottom & back off & found a sock .

Judy , I had been wondering what had happened to you . I'm glad to hear from you . Six months plateau ! I thought I was going nuts last year when mine lasted 6 weeks .

Lauren , you are really doing good . I would love to travel in the upper eastern states . I lived in Virginia for a year , but thats as high up the map i've been . One day......

Thanks to all of you for the good tips on the P.F. , obviously i'm not alone in this affliction . I had switched from the saturday morning meeting that I had gone to for over 2 years to a monday evening meeting , a few months ago , because of my sons scedule . I hated it ! The people were very nice , but it wasn't the same . This saturday I went back to my old meeting . It was great . Everyone was so nice . I had a big loss , but I won't brag as most of it was due to switching back to a am meeting , rather than effort . But I'll accept it just the same .

Adios for now . Kathy
Old 10-14-2001, 07:32 PM   #3  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy, howdy!

Well, I'd like to say I'm completely back on track. Not. But my attitude is greatly improved and I really want to re-start the losing cycle again.

This week was interesting with the hubster being gone. He does laundry and the pool. It took me from Sunday to Wednesday to get a load of laundry washed and into the dryer (still not all folded!! ) and the pool backwashed.
The next day we got torrents of rain and I had to drain the pool and dig a trench in my landscaping to keep water out of the house. Then Friday we had high winds and water. Saturday I awoke to huge branches hanging off my trees. Several trees in the neighborhood were uprooted and leaning on the power lines. Of which we had none. My darling DH got to come home to a pitch dark house -poor baby! My DD andI spent the day cutting, sawing and lugging those branches to the front. I was determined that Chuck would not have to come home to deal with that mess! At least it was good exercise. And empowering, cause I got it done instead of just thinking about it.
Right now we are doing the rest of the laundry so DH can re-pack for an extended stay. Including an air mattress, sleeping bag, and computer! He'll come home every three weeks.

My DD has gained so much weight that I basically forced her to walk with me this week. Amid much groaning, she managed about 9 miles! Plus the tree trimming exercise. It really digs into our schedule, but it will be worth it to keep her healty.

OK, I have to get back on track (already blew today) cause I'm now just teetering under 200. Well, there's plenty of other reasons, but that's my story for now.

Here's hoping the rest of you are doing well!
Old 10-18-2001, 10:10 PM   #4  

Talking

Hey ladies,

I just thought I'd check in to see how you all are doing. I'd love to say I'm doing great but even though I'm not, I'll stick my head in the door anyway to say hi! I'm struggling too and hope to get my life together enough to get back on track. Wish me luck.

Kathleen, I know what you mean about the kids causing you to lose your mind, sometimes I think mine just suck the energy right out of me!

Dora, I'm sorry about your hubby being gone so much, it's hard when mine is gone for even 1 night. I'm even sorrier about the laundry. As you can imagine, it reaches nightmare levels around here! I'm thankful that the kids wear uniforms because it makes all of the clothing options easier. Wouldn't you know they get free dress tomorrow to make the morning decisions harder!

Well, I think I'll try to get myself under control and join you guys this week. Maybe I'll start on Monday. I promised myself I'd lose some serious weight by our vacation in June. I'm serious about wanting to wear a bathing suit in Orlando without embarrassment, is that too much to ask? I'm not talking bikini or anything. I just don't want to be "the big fat lady" in the pool. I'm sure some of you can sympathize.

Later,
Ruby
Old 10-20-2001, 10:27 PM   #5  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy-Howdy all!!

Kathy - I must say I've quite impressed with a woman who dismantles her own washer. Course, that's assuming you got it back together and it worked!! Certainly not up my alley. Though I could maybe do some minor plumbing. And I'm not shy about changing a tire (note: didn't say I was good at it, but I can get it done) Atta girl! You really seem like someone who should be managing folks. You have such a "can-do" attitude.

Ruby-Ruby! Glad you're back! And it's great that you have a goal for summer. Maybe you could start charting your losses now to make that upcoming swimsuit date more real. Is it pretty brisk where you are, yet? I remember last year you said it got cold fast. I've really enjoyed the couple of nippy morning walks this week. Sure puts a zip in my step.

Judy -where are you this week? Have you ever read the "strong women" books? I've read just excerpts and am on their online newsletter. One thing they stress is basic exercises for us females with fairly light weights. Seems like a great travel program. I'm gonna reward myself with a book after I lose this summer's weight.

Ladies, I hit WI last week at 199.8 This week I started a vitamin regimen that really kicked me into high gear. My hypoglycemia seems to be under control for the first time in decades, and my energy level is tremendous. I actually voluntarily spent today deep cleaning my kitchen and going through paperwork and maintaining the pool ( a real pain in the fall!) And I haven't had those primal urges to junk out. That was amazing in itself. Then, today's WI showed me down 7.3!!!!!!!! I've never, ever, ever in a million years lost more than 4.5 in a week. I feel like those cravings for junk was really my poor body calling out for missing nutrients. What a marvelous feeling it is to be back on top of the game. Y'all probably know by now that I give fad products the ole hairy eyeball and did this one, too. One week is not nearly enough time to prove anything, but I've committed to 90 days with the supplements and -time will tell.

Here's hoping your day is super!! Mine sure is!
Old 10-21-2001, 12:06 PM   #6  

Talking

Hey ladies,

Well wouldn't you know my TOM started today. I have the usual uncontrollable urge for chocolate to try and mess me up. I won't give up, I'll make sure to count my chocolate. Of course I feel horrible and lazy today and I know it will be worse tomorrow. I will just make sure I get in some extra water and get plenty of sleep. I was determined to start walking tomorrow and I'm still going to try. Wish me luck.

Dora, what kind of vitamin regimen have you started? Is it something in particular or are you just being diligent about taking a daily multi-vitamin? I'm always interested in a good idea to incorporate into the WW program. Some ideas are contrary to the WW program but adding vitamins can only help. Right? You certainly made a believer out of me with your weightloss. Congratulations!

I'll check in later.
Ruby
Old 10-21-2001, 04:40 PM   #7  

Hello, gals! Thanks for your "welcome backs," it feels good to be back, to WW as well as this thread. Thanks also for the recommendations and advice on plantar fasciitis. Maybe I'll just have to break down and buy some really good shoes for exercising.

Dora - what are the strong woman books? They sound interesting. And, I haven't traveled since September 7th, but am looking forward to a trip to Dallas on November 7th. It's been too long since I've been in a plane and out of the office! LOL. I find I get a bit stressed when I have to be in the office day after day. Spending a few days with a client will make me de-stress a bit. I really feel "on" when I'm in meetings with clients -- I guess that makes me a really sick puppy. Most people find that stressful!

It's our busy season right now at work. I am in the office as "Manager of the Day." I'm the face of management to buy lunch for the people who are here and can help intervene in the case of emergencies on projects. Right now, we have a client whose web site went live yesterday and, unfortunately, some issues that didn't get discovered in testing have surfaced. So, it actually helps that I'm here.

It's funny working with people who never knew me at 338 lbs. Since I just started here in January, I've been about the same size the whole time I've been here. Being super-sized was always such an important part of my persona; now I'm just your average size 20 to the people here. I often reference my fatter past, so everyone I work with certainly knows I've lost more than 90 lbs, but, for some reason, I wish they knew me at my largest size. I wonder why. I can't decide if it's because I want them all to ooh and aah over all the weight I've lost or if there's some deeper reason.

Fundamentally, I am a different person because I'm smaller. But, I am also the same person, if you know what I mean. I present myself to the world differently because I'm more normal sized. That makes me less defensive, especially when I meet new people. But, I'm just as smart/funny/cranky/etc. as I ever was -- no different in my capabilities. I wonder if my feelings about size are one of the things that have contributed to a diminishing motivation to lose weight. I'll have to ponder.

Any thoughts to shed light on my quandry? (Sorry to have gone on so long.)

Hope everyone's well. It's a beautiful, sunny fall day here in Massachusetts.

Judy
338/247/???
Old 10-21-2001, 05:07 PM   #8  

Talking

Hey girls,

Judy, it is strange thing losing weight. You would think that losing weight would encourage you to go on yet most of us have lost weight and then lost the ability to continue and in some cases we gain it all back after we have lost our momentum (like me!). I'm not sure why it works the way it does but here we all are trying to lose weight again. It is very motivating to have people notice your weight loss and compliment you on it. Maybe we should record the compliments we receive and play it back everyday for that push to make the right decisions. If I could figure out our "fat" brains, I'd be a millionaire!

Dora, we've already had our share of cold days that required us to get out the winter coats but today is in the low 70's. The next few days are suppose to be in the high 70's and it's suppose to drop again by next weekend. It's walking weather still.

Later,
Ruby
Old 10-21-2001, 10:16 PM   #9  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy, Howdy all!

Lived thru my first dramatic performance at church today. What a frightening, awe-inspiring experience. Can't wait to do another one.

Ruby and Judy -It's so great to see the two of you!

Judy -I think you might make a great thespian! You prefer to be "onstage" with your adoring audience, and for folks to know of your incredible accomplishments. All admirable, and I bet you are finding a new joy in being admired. I'm impressed.

The "Strong Women" books are several, stand-alone books written by a female physician. She writes about simple exercises -I think you do them for 20 minutes 3 times weekly -that are performed with simple weights and household objects. Included are some dietary info and other items of interest to women.I know of the "Strong women stay strong", Strong women stay slim:, and "Strong women, strong bones". I get the e-newsletter, but have no books or tapes. Here's the website: http://www.strongwomen.com

Hey, if you have high arches, the Mephisto brand shoes are awesome.

RubyRuby -Is it just you and that precious Madelyn Rose (sp?) now that school is back in session? Wasn't August just yesterday?
The supplements I am taking are by Advocare. They have an extensive line of nutritional products and are used by athletes, doctors, and plain ole folks like me. I've watched several people here over the past year take them and have wonderful results. Personally, I thought it was all voodoo or speed (remember phen-fen?) But these folks actually seem healthy, not stressed out like Dexatrim-type products make you. A presentation showed that several endorsers(all unpaid) are Olympic athletes. We all know that those guys have to take drug tests, so that sorta clenched it for me. The metabolic nutrition system comes in 3 strengths, and I use the lightest one. The high impact version was just too much and made me feel a bit queasy, but now I have a type of energy that says "Hey! It's a beautiful day and those shrubs could sure use trimming and remember to saw more limbs off that oak tree before the wood-chipper truck comes around." I have an enormous mountain of limbs out front that I personally cut and lugged after a huge storm. The wierd part was that not only did I have lots of energy to cut all that (with a hand saw and loppers) but I was not sore for days afterward. I'm sold.

Kathy my love, where be you? Probably chasing those angels of yours.

Gizzi -are you out there? Lauren - vacation over yet?

Y'all have a super day!
Old 10-21-2001, 10:37 PM   #10  

Talking

Dora,

Thanks for the info. What I'm not clear on are the vitamins just a suppliment or is it some sort of diet suppressant? I don't know if I want a diet pill of some kind. I used prescription diet pills when I was in my early 20's, they worked but those things can really mess you up. They made me a little paranoid and really jittery. I don't think I could tolerate something like that again. Do these make you nervous at all? I wouldn't mind a little extra energy, my schrubs need trimming too!

Most days it is just Madeline Rose and mom. She has preschool on Tuesday and Thursday. She goes in at 8:45 and I pick her up at 1:15 on Tuesday and 12:30 on Thursday so it's a reasonable amount of time alone but not much. So far someone always manages to mess up my tuesdays and thursdays but I hope to get a few completely to myself soon.

Later,
Ruby
Old 10-22-2001, 05:58 PM   #11  
Senior Tortoise

Ruby, Advocare contains Ephedra, also known as Ephedrine. It's a stimulant, similar to amphetamines; it's the main ingredient in Ma Huang. Here's one referral to it on the internet: http://www.encyclopedia.com/articles/04147.html Here's also a more frightening page: http://ephedrainjury.com/ephedrine-info.html You can do a search on Ephedra on the web if you want to find out more about it.

Dora, please be careful! That stuff causes high blood pressure, heart attacks, strokes ... we want you around as long as possible. Are you taking it under a doctor's supervision at least?

Ruby, if you're looking for a purely vitamin high, there are vitamins by Nature's Plus called Source of Life that are expensive but very good. You can find them in health food stores. They're very high in B vitamins and have a lot of minerals. I find them helpful, though I don't take them as often as I should. Their effect is subtly energizing; I don't know that they'd help you lose weight, but they might help you get enough energy to trim your shrubs!

I'm still chugging along. I haven't lost anything in a couple weeks, partly due to TOM coming up and partly due to traveling and eating out a lot. I just don't lose well when I eat out. Still exercising and still tracking it all, though.

Onward and downward,

Lauren

Last edited by Lauren H; 10-22-2001 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:27 PM   #12  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy all!!

Hey, it's good to see both Ruby and Lauren here! Ruby, it's great that you are able to post so often. I was afraid that you had disappeared. You'll find a way to get time to yourself, I just know it.

I got in two walks today. The a.m. one was pretty wierd. I'm walking down the street and I see (barely, sooo very dark) a bird cage with a "free" sign. Well, my bird needs a new travel cage, and I was afraid if I waited and got it on the return trip, it would be gone. So, I carted that thing about 1.5 miles, mainly riding it on my stomache like a bass drum!! I'm sure the early morning commuters thought I had lost my ever-loving mind. Now to find a moment to disinfect it, just in case.

Lauren -FYI on the Advocare, the only version of the supplements that has ephedra is the "orange", which made me ill. That's why I tried the "yellow" this time. I have their product book which goes into some detail about the whys and wherefores of different products and what they work best with (or without) Personally, I totally agree with you on the ephedra. That's some nasty stuff. I'm already sensitive to caffeine and cold meds, so ma huang is certainly not on my list of friendlies.Thanks for the tip on those sites. I love easy-reading info sites. (she said, hoping they would be easy...)

Gotta run girls! Y'all be good.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:30 PM   #13  

Boy , you guys are so imformative . Supplements , shoes , books , & theater . I think you could give Oprah a run for her money .

Dora , I can't take ephedra , but some people can with no problems . You did a major drop this week , that's for sure . Congrats . Hows you daughter doing with the extra exercise ? I bet you are missing the hubby .

Dora , Judy , Lauren & Ruby , You all are so interesting . You make me feel a little dull . Dora I got the washer back together , but I couldn't make it work . I did fix my garage door , organise my craft cupboard , painted a moose coat rack , & painted a butterfly this weekend . Now I need to make Kati a butterfly coat rack . There's never enough space for coats . I made the moose & butterfly at work .

I lost last week & gained this week . But I feel so much better since I switched back to my saturday meeting .

Have a good week y'all . It's cold & rainy here . SURPRISE ! I do live in Washington . Ta Ta . Kathy
Old 10-22-2001, 11:04 PM   #14  

Talking

Well, now I'm really confused!

These vitamins can all be purchased at health food stores, can't they? Maybe I'll just go and ask alot of questions before I buy anything. It's a little hard deciding what to get to make a difference. I want to have a little more energy but I don't want to get crazy and nervous.

Kathy, I think crafts are very interesting. I'm so uncreative and I am really impressed by you Martha Stewart types! I'm lucky to be able to sew the patches on my daughter's Brownie vest. I'd love to be that cool but alas, I can't even keep my house clean and I just don't have time for anything else. I hope someday I can get into that fun stuff but for now, it's just the everyday boring stuff for me.

I'm going to drink some water. Cheers!
Ruby
Old 10-23-2001, 09:17 AM   #15  
Senior Tortoise

Dora, I'm so glad you're not taking ephedra! So what's in the form of Advocare that you take? Does it list the ingredients anywhere?

Ruby, I *think* you can only get Advocare through an Advocare seller (kind of like Amway), but Dora can fill us in. You could certainly ask at health food stores about Source of Life or any other vitamins. I think that's how I originally found out about them.

You know what, though? I've found the best energizer is exercise. (And getting enough sleep.) It took about three months of slogging before I started getting energy from exercise. I kept reminding myself that you've got to spend energy in order to gain energy. Weird, but true. Now if I work out early in the day, I have more energy throughout the day and less of a mid-afternoon slump.

Kathy, you made a moose at work?? What kind of work do you do?? It sounds like a lot of fun!

I'm down a pound on my home scales this morning, which is welcome (and surprising). Nine more pounds until 199!

Onward and downward,

Lauren
(274/208/199 by Christmas)
Closed Thread