South Beach Diet - Phase I - Week of January 15

View Full Version : Phase I - Week of January 15

Ruthxxx
01-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Carrying on or just starting Phase I? Share your trials and tribulations in this thread and do join us in the daily chat too. There is more to life than diets, so I hear.

jetsetter
01-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Day 16 of Phase 1 for me. I've decided that I'll be moving to Phase 2 on Wednesday. Things are going well, and I think I've beaten most of my cravings. I didn't drink enough over the weekend, but I rarely do. I enjoyed a piece of cheesecake and coffee for breakfast. Lunch will be leftover balsamic salmon and a salad.

Have a great Monday, everyone.

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Today is Day 8 for me; I was down 6 pounds this morning, and I lost 1.5 inches in my stomach! WOO HOO!

Breakfast was spinach frittata (yummy but really filling!) and lunch is leftover roast on romaine with SF jello.

annarenee
01-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Today is day eight for me also. I made mock french toast this morning and it wasn't too bad. I made delicious BBQ pulled pork last night.

I haven't weighed myself since I began P1, but I think I'm due for a WI at Curves on Thursday. Hopefully, I'll be able to change my ticker Thursday night. I do feel lighter. I have also noticed I have more energy.

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
I want to make the mock french toast so badly but... couldn't find ICBINB spray OR Smart Balance spread OR SF syrup at my grocery store. Do they even sell those things in Canada?

Ruthxxx
01-15-2007, 02:06 PM
ICBINB is available in Ontario. Becel is actually the same thing if you can get it. Sugar free syrup MAY be in with the regular syrups or you can sometimes get it at coffee places like The Second Cup.

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-15-2007, 02:37 PM
*smacks self on forehead*

We have regular ICBINB, but no spray stuff...
I'm allowed to use Becel? Well geez! I have THAT!! Thanks!!

Mississippi Magnolia
01-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Day 9 .or 10 -- not sure -- I had 5 day ones earlier on -- had a hard time getting past that first night. I'd drag myself in from school and collapse -- who wanted to cook? :(

At this point I'm feeling well. I'm past the headache and the 'gotta-have-it' cravings. I've lost 12 pounds, and I'm feeling optimistic! I think next week I'll start adding a piece of fruit here and there and a little Barilla Plus pasta.

Thank you all for the breakfast cheesecake recipe. It's great!:D

Barbara

SwimGirl
01-15-2007, 03:40 PM
I am on day 2! I woke up with a pretty horrible headache, and because I broke my nose years ago headaches go straight into my sinus's, so I took a couple sinus medication and I'm feeling pretty good!

I tried the mock pancakes, I didn't bother with syrup though, yesterday I just had them plain.. today I might try them with fat free yogurt and cinnamon on them. They were pretty yummy just plain!

I better go make breakfast before it gets too late! I look forward to getting to know you all!

-Aimee

Gitterdone
01-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Starting phase one YET again. Two years ago I lost 20lbs and now it's made its way back into my life. Going grocery shopping in a bit. I'm hoping to try out new recipes so I don't tire as easily of the food in this phase. Good luck to everyone!

:)

Mississippi Magnolia
01-15-2007, 04:07 PM
To you, too!

Barbara

stumbleine
01-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Weighed myself again this morning, and I'm another kg down (that's another 2.2lbs) :flow1: :wizard: :sunny: I've fallen back into low carb mindset and it's easier than I remember!

SwimGirl
01-16-2007, 03:35 AM
Stumbleine - congrats on the weight loss! Is all that weight loss from phase 1 of South Beach? Cuz WOW!!

Day 2 wasn't so successful for me. I had a great breakfast, a good snack, and then had to go into work early.. so my lunch was delayed. My headache returned and I ended up throwing up my late lunch/early dinner, it was pretty unpleasant! The bf got me a huge coffee (sugar free even), and thats helping (plus I did a little cardio - oddly enough that sometimes helps). I am hoping tomorrow will turn out WAY better, pretty much it couldn't be worse than today.

Tell me - when do the headaches end? I worry that the sugar withdrawl will be too much and I'll quit.. even tho I am feeling EXTREMELY determined to make it thru phase 1.

-Aimee

stumbleine
01-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Yep, I'm on Day 6 of Phase 1 :D

smilintwins
01-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Its day 13 for me and I woke feeling rather frustrated. Overall, I should be pleased as I am down 11.5 pounds since restarting on 1/3/07. BBBBUUUUUTTTT...I have not lost a thing in the last 5 days. And I am following the diet AND I know I am eating enough.

A stall this early can be disheartening. No need to stop now though, I know the scale will move again. Just hoping its sooner rather than later!

:(

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Aimee, I don't claim to be an expert by any means (this is my first time through SB), but my headaches lasted about 3 days. I thought the sugar withdrawal was going to kill me, too, but it didn't! I hardly have any cravings now and my head feels a LOT clearer. I'm on day 9.

SwimGirl
01-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Shelby - omg 3 days, thats feeling pretty doable right now! I woke up without the headache today so hopefully that keeps up!

11.5 pounds in phase 1? REDOING phase 1 no less? Wowsers!! When I first started dieting, it took me like 6 months to lose 23 pounds!! I am looking forward to these results! I was hoping to lose like 4 pounds during phase 1, lofty goal I thought at 2 pounds per week considering how stubborn my body is. Here's hoping!!

-Aimee

chellez
01-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey ladies! Look what the cat drug in right?

I'm so sorry I've been MIA the past few weeks! I've been very very busy with school and running the TBL challenge. I started Phase 1 yesterday after 2 weeks of being on Phase 2 ( I thought I could skip P1 and still be losing at a decent rate.... WRONG!) I hopped on the scale yesterday and I'm down to 189!

Here are my menus for the past two days (ignore the apple pie... i cheated today cause the fiance tempted me :mad: )

Monday:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs (no milk or cheese)
Snack: 1 whole orange pepper, 1 low fat mozarella cheese stick
Lunch: South Beach Frozen Dinner (Phase 1 approved), 1/2 of a cucumber
Snack: 15 snow pea pods, 1 low fat mozarella cheese stick
Dinner: South Beach Frozen Dinner (Phase 1 approved)

Calorie Intake for Monday: 986 (50% protein)

Tuesday:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with diced orange pepper
Snack: 1 whole yellow pepper, 1 low fat mozarella cheese stick
Lunch: South Beach Frozen Dinner (Phase 1 approved), 1/2 of a cucumber
Snack: 1 McDonald's Apple Pie (Shame on Me!)
Snack: 15 snow pea pods, 1 low fat mozarella cheese stick
Dinner: Turkey & Swiss Lettuce wrap (no sauce)

Calorie Intake for Tuesday: 1214 (44% protein)

Hopefully the apple pie wont hurt me too bad since I ate it in the middle of the day and I'll be awake until at least 11. Well I need to run and do my studying for my test thursday! Have a good one!

Ruthxxx
01-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Chellez, where is the dairy? You need milk or yogurt for the calcium. That will put up your calories and you need to eat more than you did on Monday.

Schatzi
01-16-2007, 04:58 PM
SmilinTwins...there could be many reasons why... frassin scales :tantrum: maybe post tomorrow what you ate all day today.. The chicks could help you better..It might be patience, or portions, or normal

chellez
01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Ruth - cheese is a dairy. I usually eat that 3 times a day.... isn't that enough? :?:

SwimGirl
01-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Hmm, on that whole dairy thing. This time I am having WAY more dairy, lots of FF yogurt, 1% milk, and it's WAY easier on me this time. My cravings aren't that horrible, hmm, I never made the connection before this second. I will definitely be buying some more yogurt!

Day 3 was pretty good for me, no huge headaches, and the food was still appealing to me. Both very good things for me :)

-Aimee

Kiko
01-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Smilin,

You have lost almost a pound a day if you average it out. Don't you dare get discouraged!! Your body is just adjusting. Keep up the good work. :)

Ruthxxx
01-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Chellez, please check out the list of Phase I foods (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49548) and you will see that cheese is not considered dairy on South Beach.

2Fat4myJeans
01-17-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm on my third (ok, second, because I cheated way too bad on the first day) of Phase 1. I am finding that I'm having trouble actually consuming enough calories (that's a first!)

Typical meal day looks like this:

B: 2 slices turkey bacon, 5 baby carrots, 5 slices cucumber
S: Low-sodium 6 oz can of V8
L: Leftover eggplant lasagna (SB recipe), lf mozzarella stick
S: 2 slices canadian bacon, 1/2 c lf cottage cheese
D: Salsa chicken, 1 c cauliflower (mock mashed potatoes), 1 c salad with lf SB-friendly salad dressing

I am averaging about 850-900 cals :?: I am not a big dairy person so I take calcium supplements to make up for drinking milk/eating yogurt/etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

soon2Bfab
01-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm on day 13....total of 10lbs gone (I think 5-6 lbs was because of my TOM) I haven't started excersing yet, but I do walk alot at my job. I'm definately not getting enough water, need to work on that.
Swimgirl - a few suggestions....make sure you eat your dairy & legumes. When I first did SB in 2005, I avoided legumes & I felt terrible, this time around I have them at least once at day. I feel a lot better & I have more energy. Also make sure you have a multi-vitamin. (My doctor recommeded Women's One a day for me....talk to your dr.) And I also found taking a fiber supplement helps. I take Fiber Choice chewable tablets, they are sugar free.

2fat4my jeans - Please talk to your dr. According to a recent study, vitamin D is very important because our bodies need vitamin D in order to use calcium. This is crucial for people who need to take calcium in order to prevent osteoporosis, or weakening of the bones.

smilintwins
01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the support. After some thought last night I think 2 things are happening. Well, maybe three!

First, the past 2 days I believe I have not eaten enough. I think I have fallen below 1200 calories and caused my body to kick into preservation mode.

Then, I did lose almost 10 pounds in the first week. There has to be some balance to that loss.

Finally, I have my dessert snack too late at night. I have been waiting until after everyone is asleep which means after 9pm and I think that is too late. In addition, I have not been getting enough sleep for my body resting metabolism to work.

So there, I am applying logic to the scale. We'll see how far that gets me!! :)

2Fat4myJeans
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Oops, I guess I should clarify. I take calcium supplements (Viactiv soft chews) that combine calcium with Vitamin D and Vitamin K to help with absorption.

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I checked out the current SB approved foods list as per Ruth's suggestion, and couldn't find Becel margarine on either the avoid or enjoy list. Am I just blind?? Also, I'm assuming butter is a no-no, right?

This week I'm working on increasing my dairy and legume intake. The legumes will be tough because I don't have any in the house, save for some hummus, and I also hate them (hence the not having them in the house). The dairy will be manageable. I'm also trying to decide what to add in next week. The only things I'm really craving are things I can't have even on Phase II -- milk chocolate, cookies, pizza, cookies, fries, cookies, cake, cookies... I think I'll have a whole wheat pita pizza, but I have to find some sugar free pizza sauce first. Also, I don't want to eat a pita every day... so do I just add a serving of whole grains in each day? I know you're supposed to add in one thing at a time, which is why I'm confused....

I thought carrots weren't allowed on SB Phase I?

soon2Bfab
01-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Shelby, you could make pizza w/ ground turkey being the "crust." There is peanut butter cookie that's phase 1 friendly....the recipe is posted on here. There's also a bean cake & sweet potatoe "fries" or you could use radishes as "potatoes" I personally don't like the radishes....gives me heart burn.
Good luck!!!

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, soon2Bfab! None of those fries for me, though, thanks -- don't like sweet potatoes or radishes. That reminds me, though -- I haven't had heartburn since before I started SB! I used to get it at LEAST every second day. Woo hoo!

I've seen the peanut butter cookie recipe. I'm scared to try it! I did go out and buy natural PB, though, so I suppose I should.

2Fat4myJeans
01-17-2007, 01:43 PM
You are right - I just looked at the updates to the list and it's Phase 2 that carrots are allowed now, not Phase 1. I wasn't that hungry anyway and decided to save them for lunch - now I'll just put them back in the fridge!

SwimGirl
01-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Today is the start of Day 4 for me!

I have been working on getting beans in - so tonight I am having homemade chilli (thank goodness my bf is such a good cook!!). I woke up without a headache, almost energetic!! I might switch my multivitamin from lunch to breakfast, it seems to be the better meal, lunch was still a little queezy yesterday.

So whats the typical weight loss for phase 1? I have nearly 70 pounds to lose.

-Aimee

soon2Bfab
01-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Swim, when I did SB the first time I lost 11lbs in 2005 (but I was 210 at the time.) This time I've lost 10lbs the first week, but that was w/TOM.

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Aimee, in the SBD book, it mentions that average is 8-13 pounds in the first two weeks. I lost 6 pounds my first week, but it was TOM for me, too, so realistically probably around 3-4. I "only" had 39 to lose, though.

SwimGirl
01-18-2007, 12:43 AM
I JUST got TOM this morning - so funny to read about both of you having it and then getting it myself. I drank MORE water and less caffiene today today to try and fight the effects of it. Tomorrow is my normal weigh in, while it's not an entire week into SB .. it'll feel weird NOT to weigh. So I'm going to do it anyways. Last weigh in was 233, so I am hoping for a couple of pounds, altho if I'm down 4 (average 1 pound a day), I'll jump for joy!

Do any of you find this diet kind of all consuming at first? I am welcoming this all consumption, Christmas was pretty full with my family and I'm feeling a little low without everyone here.

Shelby - Congrats on the 6 pounds! Every single pound has been a struggle for me, so "only 39" sounds like "holy cow 39 pounds?!?!" heh.

I always wonder if I'll appreciate being thinner a lot because of how hard it is for me. Hope to find that out this year!!

-Aimee

jetsetter
01-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Aimee, I'm always consumed by a new program when I first start. I thirst for knowledge, so I delve as deep into it as I can. In the last week and a half, I've read the SBD book twice as well as the Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide.

Keep up the good work, everyone!! I bid you all farewell as I moved into Phase 2 yesterday. :)

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Do any of you find this diet kind of all consuming at first? I am welcoming this all consumption, Christmas was pretty full with my family and I'm feeling a little low without everyone here.

Shelby - Congrats on the 6 pounds! Every single pound has been a struggle for me, so "only 39" sounds like "holy cow 39 pounds?!?!" heh.

Thirty nine pounds seemed like a lot for me, too. The most I've ever lost was 13!! Then I came here and started reading everyone's stories and I'm like, "Wow, I can totally do this, look at all the amazing women that are doing it -- and keeping it off!" It's really inspiring!

I find this diet completely all-consuming. I feel like all I do is think about my meal plan, cook dinner, prepare lunch, cook breakfast, grocery shop, stress about how much $$ I'm spending grocery shopping, and talk about the plan.

Weighed myself this morning -- even though I'm supposed to wait until Monday -- and was down another 2 pounds; that makes 8 since the 8th! Woo hoo! I was really hoping for a 10 pound loss the first month; looks like it might actually happen!

SwimGirl
01-18-2007, 02:40 PM
I can't believe it's Day 5 for me! Good to hear I'm not the only one feeling pretty consumed by this diet - so far the grocery bill has been pretty high. BUT I am eating all my meals at home so I'm pretty sure it's actually saving me money, normally I'll eat out 4-5 meals a week.

I haven't been brave enough to get on my scale yet, I feel pretty bloated from TOM, so at this point if I'm down AT ALL I'll be satisfied, stupid tom.

Shelby - congrats on the weight loss! 8 pounds is pretty good! 31 to go, you are knocking off that weight pretty good right now :)

-Aimee

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Oh, don't even talk to me about the grocery bill!!! I'm sure it could be done cheaper, but we don't eat out much, anyway, and now with SB, our grocery bill this month is going to be at least 150% of normal. I keep telling myself that it'll get easier to save money, and that it's all for a good cause. My boyfriend says, "Well, that's what money is for -- to maintain our health and happiness. This is doing both for you, so it's worth it." He's so great!

If you're feeling bloated, why not just wait until after your first week, Aimee?

Hope everyone has a great day!

grannyjc
01-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I am on day 3 of SBD and am doing pretty good. I have lost 3 pounds. I weighed 170 now am 167. It has been easy for me to stick with it this time, because I went out at bought all the foods that I needed. So I can always find something to snack on. I can't figure out how to get my 3 fatchicks.com weight chart on, can some one write and tell me how. Thanks. Joyce

SwimGirl
01-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Shelby - I did get on my scale and it actually said down 5 pounds!! I can definiely accept that! We went and did more grocery shopping today, 70 dollars later! Some of that was stuff for the bf who is still eating "normally", I am trying not to think about it right now. Sounds like your bf is in the right mind set, it's definitely worth the extra money I think.

Joyce - if you go to the top of the screen and go to "User CP", and then go to "edit signature", and there should be something on that page for the ticker. Hope that helps!

-Aimee

RidiculouslyAddicted
01-18-2007, 07:23 PM
:dancer: Woo Hoo Aimee!! Congrats on the 5 pounds; that's amazing!

SwimGirl
01-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks :) It's feeling like it's worth it.. man this is a lot of hard work, eh?

-Aimee

shadybabysmom
01-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Well today is my first day and it is ok so far. I made the cheesecake (yuck) so not for me and also the peanut butter cookies which those I can handle. I am taking my 2 boys to Disney World March 17 so I need to lose as much weight as I can now till then. I hope I can do this.

SwimGirl
01-21-2007, 01:26 AM
You can definitely do this! I am on day 7 today, and I feel really good, I'm fairly craving free. I have been having the mock pancakes for breakfast every second day, they are SO yummy!

Only 7 more days of phase 1, I can't believe it! I am down 7 pounds so far, I can't really believe THAT either.

-Aimee

shadybabysmom
01-21-2007, 01:39 AM
WOW 7lbs aready good for you. I did atkins about 1 1/2 years ago and lasted about 3 weeks on it and lost around 16+ lbs on it and then decided to reward myself with a pig out night and that ruined it for me I never recovered after that and went back to unhealthy eating I only gained a few of the pounds back but I just quit smoking about 3-4 months ago and have gained about 15-20 pounds and I don't regret quiting because I feel great but I am very unhappy with my body now and I must do something before it gets any worse. I am starting to get the dreaded headache as I type this and I am hopeing it goes away quite quickly this time around I remember on Atkins that once I hit around day 5 I felt great and was not hungry at all and much more alert and had an insane amount of energy that I hadn't had in years. I know that if I don't lose the weight I will have a miserable time in Florida being self concience and insecure about my body so this is a must do for me. Thank you so much for the support.

Ruthxxx
01-21-2007, 07:37 AM
:welcome: to The Beach, shadybabysmom.

You Chickies have done really well this week. Now it's on to the next week of Phase I to share your experience with new folks.