Support Groups - Hot & Healthy Challenge Chicks 01/14/07

martiniforme
01-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Mia mentioned a new thread, and since it is Sunday, I think it calls for it!

What is Hot & Healthy Challenge Chicks?
A bunch of us were all part of different challenges together, and when the challenges ended, we decided not to! So we all came together and decided to start a long term challenge group, and we called them the Hot & Healthy Challenge Chicks!

-Anyone can join the group no matter what your goals are or where you are in your weight loss journey.
-We are here to support each other, encourage each other, laugh together, and cry together.
-Our unified goal is to exercise, eat right (whatever diet plan we may each separately be following), and have fun!
-We encourage new members, as the more that join, the more friends we have to support us along the way!
-We only ask that you follow one teensy, tiny rule. At the beginning of each month we state what our goals are, and they can be WHATEVER YOU WANT!
Then at the end of the month we can share how well we did with our goals, etc. However, sharing at the end of the month is completely optional.

So let's do this!

martiniforme
01-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Well, I lost that official pound. I am officially at 267.2, where I was before Christmas steam rolled over me!
We're going grocery shopping today, and this time Shaun is coming with me. I'm going to get 2 carts, and tell him to just go wild and buy for himself whatever he wants, and I will make him whatever he wants. Then I'll do my shopping separately. Let's hope this works!

Yesterday was definitely quiet.

stopeating: Thanks! I'd just like to put out there that there are other victories other than scale victories, NSV's (non scale victories). If you know that seeing the numbers on the scale go down trigger you or cause you lose your momentum, why not just not weigh yourself? Or just weigh yourself when you feel confident that you can keep moving past the scale? I think you're doing great :D

Mia: Isn't it crazy how everyone goes crazy over sports? DF is like that with wrestling. Except with wrestling (entertainment wrestling) it's all planned! LOL

Have a good day everyone!

-Mande

miafluker
01-14-2007, 08:31 PM
thanks martiniforme i wasnt sure about the thread congrats on the loss
by the way when is your anniversary im trying to lose at least 10 by valentines which is my 2 year anni

Canuk4
01-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi all, I was going to post yesterday, but got distracted and did not end up doing it. I had a good day with exercise, I did my mile, as well as 30 mins. floor, so thought that was pretty good. Food wise I was good till the evening, started off with a smoothie, then in the evening had cheese and crackers, just too much of it, I also had some dark choc. too much of that too! Today I really was not hungry, I made a stew, my son came for dinner and brought me flowers (we been having a few fights over the girlfriend Cause I make comments when I should not) so have been keeping my trap shut! So had a spoonful of potatoes and a large spoon of meat and veggies, think I will have some frozen yogart soon. I am up from 229 to 232.5, not doing so great, not a lot of willpower. Have my appts. this week for the dietican, my knee (both Tues.) and my arm on Wed. so a little worried about the body parts and what the outcome will be, especially knowing they have to operate on my arm again. Have been staying in and like just being by myself, if I go out I only spend money I don't have anyhow. Hubby and I have decided to get the stuff in the freezer eaten, before we go buying a bunch more stuff.

Everyone sounds like they are also fighting to stay on track, not weighing myself is just not something I can do, don't know about the rest of you? Matiniforme congrats to you for losing. The only sport I enjoy is football. I used to really like hockey, when my son was younger and played, but now it is just too rough, he plays twice a week, I have not seen him play in probably 5 yrs. And my husband coaches one of his teams!
Well wishing everyone a good rest of the evening and a good day tomorrow.
Sharon

miafluker
01-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi all, I was going to post yesterday, but got distracted and did not end up doing it. I had a good day with exercise, I did my mile, as well as 30 mins. floor, so thought that was pretty good. Food wise I was good till the evening, started off with a smoothie, then in the evening had cheese and crackers, just too much of it, I also had some dark choc. too much of that too! Today I really was not hungry, I made a stew, my son came for dinner and brought me flowers (we been having a few fights over the girlfriend Cause I make comments when I should not) so have been keeping my trap shut! So had a spoonful of potatoes and a large spoon of meat and veggies, think I will have some frozen yogart soon. I am up from 229 to 232.5, not doing so great, not a lot of willpower. Have my appts. this week for the dietican, my knee (both Tues.) and my arm on Wed. so a little worried about the body parts and what the outcome will be, especially knowing they have to operate on my arm again. Have been staying in and like just being by myself, if I go out I only spend money I don't have anyhow. Hubby and I have decided to get the stuff in the freezer eaten, before we go buying a bunch more stuff.

Everyone sounds like they are also fighting to stay on track, not weighing myself is just not something I can do, don't know about the rest of you? Matiniforme congrats to you for losing. The only sport I enjoy is football. I used to really like hockey, when my son was younger and played, but now it is just too rough, he plays twice a week, I have not seen him play in probably 5 yrs. And my husband coaches one of his teams!
Well wishing everyone a good rest of the evening and a good day tomorrow.
Sharon

your not by yourself Sharon, im not doing so well myself

Is that really me
01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Martini and Jasmine -- congrats to you both on your loss! Every lb. lost gets us closer to our goals!

Mia -- congrats to the Saints' win over Philly. I'm from PA and a big Eagles fan. If only the Birds had managed to hold on to the darn ball more -- cripes, did they grease their fingers b/4 the game? And that false start -- aarrrggghhh!! -- the fans certainly played their part in the win;) But I'm glad for you guys; after the past year you all deserve a win like that!!!

So far, so good w/everything. Although I wasn't planning on exercising today, I ended up doing 3 miles on the treadmill, running for part of it. Having a hard time w/the C25K workout. Running for 1 minute then walking for 90 seconds I find annoying. So I'm making up my own C25K. Run as long as I feel comfortable then walk. Hey, works for me! I also bought two new pairs of sneakers. One w/be just for exercise. They're Nike Air running shoes. The other (also Nike Air) are walking shoes that I'll use for everything else.

Keep your chin up ladies. I'm just awaiting for the honeymoon period to be over w/this whole diet/exercise thing. I can hear those m&ms calling me in the distance. For now I'm hanging up but one of these days I'm going to answer and stay on for a while!! :lol:

Jo

martiniforme
01-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Mia: No problem! My 5yr anniversary is on February 18th. It's like a child who has a birthday close to Christmas, I totally get shafted on VDay! Hahaha.

To all of you: if it's time to start a new thread, anyone can do it! So don't be shy!

Sharon: I definitely feel you on the scale thing. In the very beginning I was stepping on the scale every day. I just couldn't help myself. Now I make it a point to only record the weigh-ins that are on my weigh-in day. Which is Friday, so although I have lost a pound, I won't record it. I'll only record my weight from next Friday. Simply because there are too many factors that go in to weight fluctuation. For me, if I eat something salty (which isn't often, not a fan), or I don't get enough water in, I will retain water, and it will fluctuate my weight up to 2-3 lbs! I also make sure I weigh myself around the same time in the morning as the previous Friday, usually right after I wake up and go brush my teeth, around 6:30am. Good luck, though! This is something I believe you can conquer :hug: I'm also very bad for the comments :o. Sometimes it just drives me crazy the things DF's brother does, I just can't help myself. But I REALLY must exercise some discretion, and learn to bite thy tongue!

Jo: Thanks! And I think tweaking your workout to match your stamina is a good idea. If you aren't pushing yourself, you're not doing as much for your cardiovascular system as you could be doing. I only wish I had your stamina! Someday!

Okay, so the grocery shopping thing worked out well, but it cost us over $400.00 CAD! I don't think we'll be doing that again. DF will usually eat whatever I put in front of him, but I want him to enjoy the things he's eating, and as an adult have a say in what food he consumes. I have gotten him eating at least 1 fruit and 2 veggies a day, though, which is a milestone for him. He has the metabolism of a.. a.. cheetah, or something! Hahaha. But overall, I feel good about today. Unfortunately, only consumed 662 cals today, which is bad, but I just COULD NOT stomach much today. Not sick, just feeling finnicky. Does that ever happen to anyone else? The only trick is not to let it bite me in the *** later this week when I'm telling myself I can eat this or that because I have a calorie deficit. I really just need to try to reach my goal of the day, and not be concerned about the weekly intake. Wish me luck!

Have a good night everyone. Tomorrow our kitty is getting declawed, so I want to go cuddle with him for a bit. I hate to take away his food and such, which he won't like very much, so some extra love is called for.

-Mande

sugarbaby269
01-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi Mande, :hug:

Thank you so much for inquiring after me. You are so sweet!! I've been naughty these past couple of weeks and although I really need to get back into the swing of things, the move and the holidays really put a damper on my so called diet. I have kept the weight off that I've lost though, and I'm pretty impressed with that. I talked to my hubby just today and we will be getting back on track starting Tues. I need to go grocery shopping and it's just crazy how much of a mind frame a person has to have in order TO diet. I have to be conscious (sp?) of the whole eating healthy, watching portion sizes and what I'm putting into my mouth. If I don't pay attention, then I get the munchies and eat without even thinking, always looking for something to satisfy my "fake stomach" that doesn't really exist!!!! AAAAhhhhrrrggh. Hehe... No excuses, right? So, again, thanks so much Mande for dropping me the note. Now I've signed in and I'm back again and I really do want to lose weight and get back to the exercise thing. I sure miss you and everyone else I've met on this site.
P.S. Yes, I have had finnicky moments. I was having them right before I ended up in the ER with a stupid Kidney stone. I wasn't drinking enough and wasn't hungry. It was probably a lot of stress. So just try to stay hydrated and do the protien shake if you have to to get some cals. in so you're body has the energy and nutrients it needs.
Be back tomorrow and ON TRACK!
P.P.S. I hate trying to get back into the exercise thing. That's my worst hang up. But once I start I'm good. So wish me luck. I'll make Tues my goal for walking...

Cheerio my dear ladies!

martiniforme
01-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Aww, Sug! I'm so glad you're back!!
I almost fell off the exercise wagon myself, and didn't exercise for a couple of weeks. And I think because I relaxed over Christmas, it was soo much harder to get back in to it. I'm definitely struggling, haha. But yes, a protein shake is a great idea! I also had turkey for dinner just to make sure I get in a good amount of protein, and even had desert (fat free of course! le sigh). And I was definitely thirsty! I've drinken sooo much water today, I swear I've peed at least 5 times today! TMI, I'm sure!

Tuesday sounds like a good plan :). And I still graze like a cow to the fridge from time to time, haha. I just started stocking my pantry and fridge full of stuff that is low cal and good for me. I've started eating fruit yogurt as a snacky thing (only 40 cals for the Silhouette RF!).

Anyway, I'm so glad to have you back :) :hug:

Is that really me
01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Sugarb -- I think dieting is 90% mental. You absolutely have to get into the right frame of mind. Once there, it's easier to stay there but getting to that point is sometimes impossible! I usually have that "all or nothing" head but I'm trying not to do that. I'm telling myself that it's ok to blow a day off once in awhile; just get right back on track the next day. Also what I find really hard is the amount of food I eat. If I keep track of everything calorie-wise I can actually eat sweets -- I just can't eat a party bag of m&ms! Just trying to keep a balance of it all. Good luck!

Jo

Nikaia
01-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Heya girls. I weighed myself this morning, and I'm down to 187! Haven't updated my ticker yet. But that's that much closer to the 185 I was at pre-December, so I'm happy.

Jo, you're so right about it being mainly mental. I used to do the all-or-nothing really badly; if I had a bag of candy in the house, I'd snack on one...then I'd have another...then I'd say, whatever, I've already started on them so I might as well finish them and get them out of the house! I neglected to remind myself that "out of the house" also meant "onto my hips" if I did it that way. ;) But once you can teach your mind to automatically go for healthy stuff, it is SO much easier.

Martini, good for you, being back to pre-Xmas weight! That sounds like it was a seriously expensive grocery trip! It sounds to me like we're all kind of struggling to get back into exercise after December wreaked its havoc on routine.

Well, I'm off. Got buttloads of housecleaning to do today. Luckily I have the day off from classes, which means I might actually be able to get something DONE. ;)

loveandlaughalways
01-15-2007, 03:52 PM
:wave: Hi all!!

You all are so right about the mental aspect of dieting and getting in the right mood frame. but keeping yourself in that right mood frame has always been my challenge. I have been concentrating on exercise and not the diet necessarily this week and don't think it's worked out all that well.

I am now 177.4 which isn't that far off pre-Christmas weight but still not down to where I was just yet. I need to focus on both diet and exercise at the same time.

I am soooo tired today. Hope i'm not coming down with a cold like my husband has. Sleep is so important and I didn't have that much last night. Everything (the dog, etc.) was waking me up last night.

Vitamins have helped me with cravings. I have been taking a chewable kids because it doesn't give me a headache like the others did. I just need to focus on calories in and calories out this week after all i have been at this since August 2006. I need to get my self into high gear!!

Jasmine31
01-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Mande: Thanx for starting it! Is Sean still sabatoging your efforts? Great job on that pound!!!

Mia: Hey hun! That day is coming up soon!!

Canuk:

Great on the exercise! Is it water weight? Great on the healthy eating!!

Everyone sounds like they are also fighting to stay on track, not weighing myself is just not something I can do, don't know about the rest of you

Yeah I weigh once to twice a week. I have to hold myself accountable!

Is that really me:

Thanx hun!

So far, so good w/everything. Although I wasn't planning on exercising today, I ended up doing 3 miles on the treadmill, running for part of it.

That is great! Keep it up!!

martiniforme:

Okay, so the grocery shopping thing worked out well, but it cost us over $400.00 CAD! I don't think we'll be doing that again. DF will usually eat whatever I put in front of him, but I want him to enjoy the things he's eating, and as an adult have a say in what food he consumes. I have gotten him eating at least 1 fruit and 2 veggies a day, though, which is a milestone for him. He has the metabolism of a.. a.. cheetah, or something! Hahaha. But overall, I feel good about today. Unfortunately, only consumed 662 cals today, which is bad, but I just COULD NOT stomach much today. Not sick, just feeling finnicky. Does that ever happen to anyone else? The only trick is not to let it bite me in the *** later this week when I'm telling myself I can eat this or that because I have a calorie deficit. I really just need to try to reach my goal of the day, and not be concerned about the weekly intake. Wish me luck!

Aww hun! You know what I decided to start doing? Not necessarily to watch cost although I am always being frugal. I have been buying those whole chickens when they go on sale! .59 cents a pound baby! 1 of them can feed my whole family of 7!!! I have been making two at a time but there is always enough meat left over for another nite! I have a deep freezer so I stock up, otherwise they are 1.40 a pound! I have 16 in the deep freeze right now. ;) ENough til they go on sale again! Yeah!! WHat I was getting to is that you can give the guys the thighs and legs wings etc and you eat the breast!!

sugarbaby269:

So good to see ya hun!!! :hug:

Thank you so much for inquiring after me. You are so sweet!! I've been naughty these past couple of weeks and although I really need to get back into the swing of things, the move and the holidays really put a damper on my so called diet. I have kept the weight off that I've lost though, and I'm pretty impressed with that.

I am impressed too! Great job! Get back on the wagon though!!

Nikaia:

Heya girls. I weighed myself this morning, and I'm down to 187! Haven't updated my ticker yet. But that's that much closer to the 185 I was at pre-December, so I'm happy.

That is great sweetie!!

Well, I'm off. Got buttloads of housecleaning to do today. Luckily I have the day off from classes, which means I might actually be able to get something DONE

Glad you can get caught up!

loveandlaughalways:

I am now 177.4 which isn't that far off pre-Christmas weight but still not down to where I was just yet. I need to focus on both diet and exercise at the same time.

That is great hun! Keep it up!!

Jasmine31
01-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Okay ladies so the last thing I knew I was making home made enchiladas from scratch and the next thing I knew I was being really bad for a few days! hahahah

The enchiladas turned out GREAT!! I lessened the amounts of the basil and oregano a bit so it wouldn't be to sph. tasting and added chili pepper flakes and all. But I under guestimated. It said 8 servings so I tripled that and I should of made it like 48 servings sauce wise! uggghh!!! Maybe it would of been alright but my oven is not working so what wound up happening is I have been using my turkey roaster for some baking and I have baking dishes but I was worried it wouldn't cook all the way or something. Anyhow so I used thw whole bottom of the pan. 8 taco shells on bottom, big ones! I still would of been fine but you know what? My stupid new food processor must of gotten a wee bit wet. I had done all the veggies and tried to give it a quick rinse off and wasn't thinking. Anyhow when I went to grate the cheese it turned into cheese butter!! It was awesome and yummy though but hard to spread. So I clumped it on but needed more so I tried to dry it and shred another pound of cheese and same thing happened! :lol: Oh and I burnt the dang motor out!!!! Grrrr!!! So clumped that on there too. Two pounds of cheese!!! Good lord!!

Added some chicken and onion and olives.

MY dh said it was the best he ever had and that he doesn't want me using canned any more he LOVES the new sauce!!! Success!! Everyone else loved it too. But I wound up having much more than my fair share(as usual) and even had it the next day with dh for lunch! (He normally hates enchiladas for leftovers but he wanted them and still thought they were great! haha)

Anyhow that was my bad lil weekend. Only lost that 1 pound last week. I wonder why? *snickers* That is okay though. It is a new day and I am making my famous turkey chili beans today! I have been pretty good and am looking forward to staying on track. At least for a few days. haha

The one thing that screwed me up though was the walking last week! Normally I aim for an average of 60 minutes a day but last week it was so cold my dh didn't want me out for long! I went on the bus to see him and all that but he didn't want me doing any extra walking. It was so cold and windy I knew he was right so not much walking. Oh weel. I did get 90 minutes in today. So I am hoping to get more good days in this week. We'll see!!!

Jasmine31
01-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Oh back to the sauce. I had been simmering this for hours but I just went ahead and added more tom sauce and home made salsa. STill turned out great! WHo is up for chili beans and corn bread?

miafluker
01-15-2007, 09:09 PM
hey jasmine how are you do have a recipe for health hard tacos>?

Jasmine31
01-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Hmmnnnn.... Hard? Well I usually make mine soft. I warm them up. I have heard that coconut oil is stable at high temps. So when I can get to a health food store I am going to get some! The jury is still out in my book on the olive oil. That is a toss up! Dr. Mercola and Dr. Oz(Oprah's favorits) say great for salads etc but not for cooking!

I will see if I can look up some links in relation to that.

Chicken breast or ground turkey is great for that. Avocados are fattening but they are good fats, for your heart. So add some of that! Chili pepper flakes are very good for you as well and may have anti cancer benefits! Obviously tomato. I love making home made salsa! a few tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, onions, fresh chopped garlic, a bit of cilantro. Yummmy!!!

I would also advise broown spanish rice and / or beans on the side! Although I do recommend soaking rice and beans for 24 hours.

(off to find some links for ya!)

Jasmine31
01-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Coconut Oil (http://www.mercola.com/products/coconut_oil.htm)

Jasmine31
01-15-2007, 09:30 PM
You may want to try this:

http://www.oprah.com/health/bob/bestlife/diet/basics/slide/20070115/basics_20070115_203.jhtml

One alternative you can try is oven-frying. Cut potatoes into strips, toss or spray with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, and cook in a 400° oven until brown. And if you can't live without potato chips, choose baked varieties made without trans fat.

Obviously with the corn shells instead of potatoes. The jury is still out in my book though on even heating the oil in the oven but it is an idea. :D Hope this helps hun!

Jasmine31
01-15-2007, 09:34 PM
http://www.oprah.com/health/yourbody/slide/20060501/yourbody_20060501_350_206.jhtml

Healthy oils
Dr. Oz says there are many healthy oils, such as olive oil, sesame seed oil, flaxseed oil, grape seed oil and canola oil. To maximize their health benefits, Dr. Oz says good oils need to be used properly. "Keep it in a dark bottle or in your refrigerator—that's how to keep it healthy so it doesn't go rancid," says Dr. Oz. "Healthy oils are delicate, you have to treat them delicately."

Dr. Oz also says overheating good oils during cooking can damage them. "Don't cook the oil, cook the food," says Dr. Oz, "which means put a tiny bit of oil in the pan, put the food in the oil and then put the food with the oil on it in the pan—that way the oil is preserved. It doesn't heat up and it doesn't get damaged by the heat."

I don't agree with him about canola though. Interesting concept about cooking there. Hmmnn...any thoughts anyone else? I imagine that would work with refrying beans or like rice etc, not sure about corn tortillas.

Jasmine31
01-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Garlic

Dr. Oz says garlic is great for our bodies. "It actually helps the bacteria in your intestines and it also relaxes the arteries and it has a benefit with cancer," says Dr. Oz. "It's a great thing to add to your diet. It's present in a lot of cultures—we've forgotten it in America."

Salad dressing made with fresh garlic, lemon and olive oil is one of Oprah's favorites. "It's a perfect dressing," says Dr. Oz. "It's the best way to have olive oil because you haven't heated it and you haven't damaged it."

http://www.oprah.com/health/yourbody/slide/20060501/yourbody_20060501_350_207.jhtml

I have read alot of great things about garlic and we try to have it quite a few times a week, that and onions. One thing though, I have read a few different places it needs to be fresh cut with in an hour of eating for optimal effects. :D

Jasmine31
01-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Tomato sauce

Dr. Oz recommends eating 10 tablespoons of tomato sauce per week. "Inside the tomato is a chemical called lycopene," says Dr. Oz. "This chemical has a wonderful effect—it's an antioxidant."

Dr. Oz says there are added benefits from eating tomato sauce or paste as opposed to plain tomatoes. "A raw tomato is fine, too, but if you get a little fat with it—either with some nuts or a little olive oil and dressing—then it's perfect," says Dr. Oz. "It helps you absorb it better into your intestinal system."

http://www.oprah.com/health/yourbody/slide/20060501/yourbody_20060501_350_208.jhtml

Is that really me
01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Jasmine, if I ever get out your way I am definitely inviting myself over for dinner!! The dishes you describe sound absolutely, positively mouthwatering!:T Have you ever tried safflower oil? I use Hollywood safflower oil when I make chicken nuggets. My son (special needs) was gluten free for several years and I made these and we all love them. I cut up boneless chicken breasts, dip them in an egg/milk wash then into Gillians gluten free breadcrumbs (from the health food store) mixed w/some potato flour and salt/pepper/onion and garlic powders, oregano and a huge palmful of Emeril Lagassie's original spice. I then cook them in the safflower oil, cooking one side then turning over to cook the other side. Very, very tasty! Just though I'd share. Keep posting your recipes. One of these days I'm going to make my kids eat something other than mashed potatoes and chicken the same 5 ways!! :eek:

Jo

SD Gal
01-16-2007, 01:13 AM
Hello hello!! After a couple days gone.. I am happy to announce.. 3.5 pounds lost last week! YAYAYA!! :carrot:

Steve & I walked 16 miles last week as well.. So, YAY again!

My goal over the course of the rest of the month is to maintain and continue walking. Not so much that I HAVE to lose 3 pounds a week or anything.. and while it would be NICE, I'd like to stay at or lose at least a pound.. Next month I'd like to see another five pounds gone.. So.. I'm working on it!!

Hugs to all!

martiniforme
01-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Jasmine: Thanks for sharing the links with Mia! I'm sure that others besides myself will find them helpful! You know we always do ;).

Jo: DF is just like your kids. I say break the habit while they're young! I can not for the life of me get DF to make healthy choices (stopped trying LONG ago haha). So I sneak stuff in to the food that he otherwise has no idea. And I only tell him when he asks if something is different hahaha.

Mimi: Congrats on the big loss! You will totally meet your goal at the rate you're going! And 16 miles is nothing to scoff at, I am not only impressed, but envious as well! Haha. Good for you :hug:!

Not much to report. I get to pick my kitty up from the vet today. I'm excited. I missed him!

As far as my diet goes, I have done EXCELLENT in the last couple of days. And I feel good about the choices I've made. I even managed to say no to FOUR cravings of chocolate and cheese yesterday (I eat cheese, but it wasn't in my plan yesterday), and had some chocolate after dinner. Normally once I have chocolate, the dams flood open, but I was able to stop after the planned amount, and walk away :)

Now to just kick my butt in the exercise department! I am doing alright, but I know for certain that I could be doing better.

DF says that if I meet my goal (nothing less) then we will go halfsies on a treadmill. EYEEE :dance:!!!

martiniforme
01-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Well, I haven't shared my plan since just before Christmas, and it's about time I get back on it!

Tuesday's Plan
B: 1 cup 1% Milk, 1 sc Slim Fast
S: 100g LF Yogurt, 1 md Banana
L: 1 sv Lean Cuisine Spinach & Mushroom Pizza
S: 1 sv FF Jell-O Pudding
D: Chicken Stirfry (no fat added), about 1/2 cup Chkn & Veggies w/ 1/2 cup cooked Rice
S: SmartPop 100 cal Mini Bag

E: 3 miles @ 4 miles/hr

W: 1500mL +

Cals: 1462
Prot: 21%
Fat: 17%
Carb: 62%

Well, I've already done 20 minutes of my workout. Does anyone else do that? or maybe I'll do the 20 minutes in the morning to get my limbs stretched and my energy up, then do the full 45 minutes after work to have energy for the last 6-7 hours of my day. This works better with my work schedule as well... Thoughts?

martiniforme
01-16-2007, 11:42 AM
P.S. I know my veggies are low, but I promise I'm working on it, and working my way back to Mande-Before-Christmas phase. Hahaha.

Is that really me
01-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Mimi, :congrat: on your loss! 3.5 lbs is wonderful. Keep up the good work and you'll be at goal in no time! :workout:

Just got done 3 miles on treadmill and 20 minutes on total gym. Am less energetic today and forced my self to do the last 1/2 mile. I think I'm getting a cold. Hoping to walk the dog a little later. Martini, I don't ever break up my treadmill workouts only because I'd never do the second half! :no: I do wait to walk my dog though. She'd rather I do that first but it's too cold and windy in the morning! I try to get my workouts done in the morning cause my energy level and desire and inclination to exercise later in the day just vanishes. For some unknown reason I was absolutely, positively starving this a.m. I ate breakfast at 7:30a.m. because I was so hungry. Must have been the right amounts of carbs/protein/fats cause I'm just barely getting a little hungry now and it's been 3 1/2 hours since I ate.

Hope you all had a good long weekend and have a good day today.

Jo

marbleflys
01-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the recipes, sounds good....

I've stuck with the exercise (interval training) and am encouraged by less of a stuffed look in my mid-section....need to up the time this week, but at least I'm being consistent. not crashing and burning.

BBL, busy at work.

Jasmine31
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Is that really me:

Jasmine, if I ever get out your way I am definitely inviting myself over for dinner!! The dishes you describe sound absolutely, positively mouthwatering!

Aww thanx sweetie!!! :hug:

Have you ever tried safflower oil?

No. I was actually trying to look that up on mercola's site this a.m. and so far ran into coconut oil again ~ Lowers cholesterol too! Seen a snippet about it on another page too. I am still looking it up.

Your recipe sounds really yummy too! You should post it in our healthy chicks recipes section!!

You mentioned your son and gluten free, I remember reading recently on the kefir blog that the kefir is gluten and lactose free, if you are interested! ;)

http://lifewayfoods.blogspot.com/

Thursday, December 15, 2005
Lifeway Kefir - Gluten, who needs ya!
Why are gluten free products increasing in popularity?Lifeway products are 100% gluten free. It may help take away your digestive problems.If you are suffering from celiac disease and drinking Lifeway Kefir, tell us how it has helped you?

One of these days I'm going to make my kids eat something other than mashed potatoes and chicken the same 5 ways!!

hahahahah They need some enchiladas! With 2 pounds of cheese butter!! :lol:

SD Gal:

3.5 pounds lost last week! YAYAYA!!

That is great sweetie!!! Congrats!!!!

martiniforme:

s far as my diet goes, I have done EXCELLENT in the last couple of days. And I feel good about the choices I've made. I even managed to say no to FOUR cravings of chocolate and cheese yesterday (I eat cheese, but it wasn't in my plan yesterday), and had some chocolate after dinner. Normally once I have chocolate, the dams flood open, but I was able to stop after the planned amount, and walk away

That is great sweetie! I am so proud of you!!!

DF says that if I meet my goal (nothing less) then we will go halfsies on a treadmill. EYEEE

Whoohooo!!!! That sounds great!

Well, I've already done 20 minutes of my workout. Does anyone else do that? or maybe I'll do the 20 minutes in the morning to get my limbs stretched and my energy up, then do the full 45 minutes after work to have energy for the last 6-7 hours of my day. This works better with my work schedule as well... Thoughts?

I know sometimes like with walking to get to the fat burning level you need to be walking for a while , not sure about other exercises.

Is that really me:

Just got done 3 miles on treadmill and 20 minutes on total gym. Am less energetic today and forced my self to do the last 1/2 mile

That is great hun!!!

marbleflys:

You are welcome!! Have a great day!

Jasmine31
01-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Okay ladies so i am jazzed! Guess I wasn't as bad on sunday as I thought. Cause I was really good yesterday and even got my 90 minutes of walking in but this a.m. I am down 1 pound! (and we all know it usually takes more than just one day of being "good" to lose 1 pound! It usually takes two! or more.....)

Anyhow!

.50 an apple
2 slices ezekiel bread
1 oz cheddar cheese
1 serving cashews
2 slices of lunch meat turkey breast
1 cup of hot cocoa
3/4 oz of provolone
1 cup chili beans
1 tbs ranch dressing
1.5 cups romaine with a little tomato
2 servings of corn muffin
1 tbs AA butter
1/3 cup spinach
.50 cup of carrots
.20 cup of broccoli
2 tbs honey
32 oz coffee
5 tbs amaretto creamer

1765 cals

The cals were still a bit high but oh well. I try to strive for a cap at 1700 but didn't add my coffee and cream til this a.m. and overlooked it yesterday for some reason. Normally I have kefir and more fruit but we were on the run yesterday morning!

Anyhow the point is I am down another pound!!! That is 4 this month total and 1 for the new week!!! Hooray!!!

Jasmine31
01-16-2007, 01:34 PM
7 more pounds til onederland!!

Jasmine31
01-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Isthatreally me:

http://www.mercola.com/2003/mar/1/fish_oil_heart.htm

Please recognize that we get ALL the omega-6 (and omega-9) fat we need from food. We do NOT need to take any supplements for these fats. Many of the omega fat supplements you see in health food stores will only serve to worsen your health, not improve it, as they contain omega-6 fats that will only worsen your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio.

I strongly recommend avoiding sunflower, corn, soy, safflower, and canola oil, and products that contain these oils. This also means no hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats, no margarine, no vegetable oil and no shortening. These oils are full of omega-6 fats and will only worsen your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio.

Acceptable oils include high-quality extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocados and organic butter... or better yet, grass-fed organic butter.

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/28/coconut_health3.htm

Cleary et al (1999) fed genetically obese animals high fat diets of either safflower oil or coconut oil. Safflower oil-fed animals had higher hepatic lipogenic enzyme activities than did coconut oil fed animals. When the number of fat cells were measured, the safflower oil-fed also had more fat cells than the coconut oil-fed.

*sigh* He is such a little food ****!!!

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/24/saturated_fat3.htm

Safflower, Corn, Sunflower, Soybean and Cottonseed Oils all contain over 50% omega-6 and, except for soybean oil, only minimal amounts of omega-3. Safflower oil contains almost 80% omega-6. Researchers are just beginning to discover the dangers of excess omega-6 oils in the diet, whether rancid or not. Use of these oils should be strictly avoided.

They should never be consumed after they have been heated, as in cooking, frying or baking. High oleic safflower and sunflower oils, produced from hybrid plants, have a composition similar to olive oil, namely, high amounts of oleic acid and only small amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids and, thus, are more stable than traditional varieties. However, it is difficult to find truly cold-pressed versions of these oils.

Note: The bolded blue are Dr. Mercola's edited version of the original.

marbleflys
01-16-2007, 01:57 PM
you ladies are soooo good at dieting.....frankly I am not....I can exercise faithfully, but don't follow a formal diet....my eating is generalized healthy. I avoid fat, oil, heavy carbs like bread, but do eat rice and pasta on occasion. Sugar doesn't really *excite* me, but give me a pizza or chips and I'm like an addict.

If the weather is warm, my nemisis is Ben and Jerry.........

today I am gulping down lemon tea with a little splenda and some cambbells select chicken soup for lunch....breakfast was 1 hard-boiled egg and a slice of leftover ham. Last night it was 3 steamed wontons, brown rice and chicken lettuce wraps from PF Changs, 1/2 an entree of Kung-Pao shrimp....sigh and 2 glasses of Cabernet

Jasmine31
01-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey hun well it took alot of us a LONG time to get to where we are today. For me, my changes did not come over nite. It was easier for me to cut back on soda, and cut out to eat to once a week and to start walking. I would seriously rather walk 3 hours a day than to cut back on eating. It was a slow change for me with the foods. First switching to more chicken, no frying and adding a fruit in, then more fruits, then more veggies, then I started cutting my potatoes to just once per week cause that is a HUGE trigger food for me! Also switched the red meat to like once a week. Switched to brown rice and now to alot of beans and turkye even! Yum! Just make the changes you can and do it slowly! This to me is about a lifestyle not about a diet. I Adore pizza too and I have it about once a month! I used to love chips too and still do but usually try to have that be once a month like for a b~day party. Good luck hun!

Jasmine31
01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Oh and marble what really helped me to steadily start losing was when I combined the healthier eating and walking with cal counting! That really helped alot. :D

Jasmine31
01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm

SD Gal
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks girls for the encouragement :D I'm actually looking forward to 4pm when I can do my 2 mile after work. It was bloody COLD last night when we walked and I had to have my hoodie up over my ears to save them from hurting. The wind really does it to me :( So, I've downed two 20 oz. waters already today, 2 16oz. coffees (with splenda.. mmm) and a medium banana.. Now lunch Lean Cuisine fettucine alfredo and snack today is my yogurt.. since I forgot my stinkin mixer to make my fruit drink. :mad: Stupid me.

I've been trying to grow my hair out this past year and five months.. and.. I've decided to cut my losses, literally. Jenny McCarthy has a cute new bob and I've decided to have my stylist start cutting it at the bottom and I'm going to grow it out to the new Jenny style. Its cute, and.. I think I'll see a lot less damage. I'm tired of the back of my hair breaking (helloooo color.. rofl).. and need something more manageable.

So over the course of the coming year my goal is NOT to cut my bangs and front of my hair.. but just the bottom to grow it one length bobbed.

Have a super day!!

ennay
01-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey guys, Jasmine gave me a hard time for not posting over here lately ;) so I thought I would pop in and say hi!

Things are going well here, I am snowed in (and we RARELY get snow here) and dh is about to start his own company. I am a SAHM so this is one big flying leap without a parachute, but the time is right. So I will be a work-at-home mom soon as I will do books/AR/AP/HR,etc.

Anyway still clicking along. Losing about 1-1.5 lbs a week, getting my exercise, recording my food.

miafluker
01-16-2007, 10:27 PM
thanks jammine for the links and recipes they are great well got my workout in and ate fairly well

Is that really me
01-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Jasmine, congrats on your lb. loss. You're gonna be a goal soon! And thanks for all the info on oils. I had a question re:safflower oil. High oleic safflower and sunflower oils, produced from hybrid plants, have a composition similar to olive oil, namely, high amounts of oleic acid and only small amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids and, thus, are more stable than traditional varieties. However, it is difficult to find truly cold-pressed versions of these oils. I only use extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed) and the Hollywood safflower oil, which is expeller pressed. Hollywood doesn't use any chemical solvents. Do you think this oil fits the quote above as being a truly cold-pressed oil? Thanks for your input.

Welcome and hi neighbor Marble. I live in PA! Ben and Jerrys tastes best on the boardwalk, doesn't it? ;)

Jo

Canuk4
01-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Well this is my second post tonight, I went back to check something and lost the first, oh that makes me angry!. This one will be shorter.

Hi all, Congrats to the loser's for there weight loss, thanks everyone for all the information you are providing, recipes, links and so much more. Jasmine I don't know where you find the time, you do great with info. Martiniforme, how is the kitty, I had both mine done, I think it is almost as hard on us as them. Re: Breaking up the exercise, I have read numerous times, its great to even say do 10 mins. 4 times a day. The cooking oils, I think I saw that show on Oprah, I guess I am old fashioned, the first thing I reach for is Pam, I know, I know, I have to try and do better. I have been using the crock pot the last couple days, first for stew, (potatoes on the side, mashed), the made chili yesterday, my own version as I was short of a few ingredients. Have not had any, still not feeling great and that brings me to exercise, which I have not done either in a few days.

Went to see the knee doc. today, bottom line, need a replacement, he says come back in six months and you have to lose weight, how much I ask (stupid question) he says 50 lbs, try water aerobics (man I HATE putting on a bathing suit), but guess I might try it. All depends on what I hear about my arm tomorrow and when they are going to operate. I could go back in six months and look the same, you can't get in water with a brace or cast on your arm.

More news, my daughter informed us she is thinking of getting married, down South, probably in the begin. of Dec. this year. I want to be alot slimmer for that as well. Its a bummer when the body parts reak havoc on your life.

Tonight we had a guy come for the second time to measure for windows, so I say to my husband, "well what do you want to do" (we were trying to get a cheaper price as it was winter and we thought they would be looking for business), anyhow hubby says "we might as well go ahead and get them", I just about fell over, he usually says, "we will think about it", the guy said okay I need a third down now and the rest when they are done. My husband said we will get it to you tomorrow, I'm flipping, we don't have it, he just came up here a half hour ago and asked me how we were going to pay him, I just said I don't know, you come up with something. I thought if we were not going to get a good price, we would wait, or if we did get a good one, order them for June or so, at least give us time to try and get some money put away. We can always cancel, right! Only this guy is suppose to be doing us a favour, through another friend. I know very confusing.

Sorry for all the blabing tonight, I am wound up, about my arm and the windows.
Weight today was 231, you are right, I can weight myself everyday but so many variables are in that. Thanks

So much for short, you poor ladies, my apoligies (sp) over tired!
Have a good one today.
Sharon

miafluker
01-17-2007, 08:39 AM
hi conuke! jasmine congrats on your loss
i refuse to weigh again until i get my other scale which should be this weekend or monday

where is hunbe?

Is that really me
01-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Sharon, my mom had a knee replacement a few years back (she was around 75 at the time). She has horrible rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and kept getting bursar (SP?) cysts from her knees that caused awful, hobbling pain. The knee surgery was a success and that leg doesn't bother her anymore. Good luck w/it all!

We also need to replace our windows. Our house is only 8 years old, new construction but the windows they use are just complete crap. I didn't know they made anything so poor in quality. We just replaced our sliding back door w/a Pella. WONDERFUL!!!!!! No frost or even condensation on the inside of the door and it's in our breakfast room which in on cement. The room as always been cold and this is the first time ever it's felt like the rest of the house. Even helped w/sound in that room. The guy who installed the door (Lowes) said that most people can't afford to replace all the windows in their house all at once because of cost. He said just do a few at a time and over a several years it will be done. We're thinking about starting w/the downstairs front windows (5 total) in the spring. We opened a Lowe's credit card cause they had a 1 year finance free option. We just divide the cost by the time and pay off that much each month. We also took advantage of similar offers to purchase hardwood flooring and an oriental rug. Eventually they'll be paid off!!

Just got done 3 good miles on the TM. Anyone ever notice that when they do any type of strength training (weights, resistance bands, weight machines, etc) that the scale seems to go up a lb. or two the next day? What up with that?

Jo

ennay
01-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Jo - water speeds to the muscles to help heal and rebuild. I run long distance and after a really long run I can be up as much as 6 lbs the next day

marbleflys
01-17-2007, 01:06 PM
hmmm, I just got new windows too, replaced the entire kitchen and french doors on the back and a new Anderson patio door.....they are great, the house feels about 15 degrees warmer. my old windows were AWFUL, talk about condensation, ice build-up, OY!

worked out this morning managed 23 mins. of HARD cardio (80% HR and a good sweat) then did chest/biceps. I'm on day #16 of consistent exercise and I feel so much better than when i don't exercise. I hope to get to 3 hours this week, that's my first goal. it seems that the old muscles really do have some memory left in them.....

Is that really me
01-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Ennay, thanks for the info! I figured as much but it's nice to know for sure. Think I'll stay off the scale the day after strength stuff.

Jo

SD Gal
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm really having a crummy day.. my accesses at work aren't "work-ing".. so I'm a little frustrated.. I've drunk one cup of coffee and my shake this morning.. I can't wait to walk after work.. I need some release! :woops:

I'm craving BAD FOOD.. I won't break into it, however, I crave a hershey bar and jif pnut butter to dip it in. I know.. bad me.. its just cause my day isn't going so hot is all. It will pass.. and.. besides, I have a smart ones brownie waiting for me at home. lol...

And..... I'm cold and complainy. :(

I know. Its stupid.. ::raising hand:: can I go home now? lol

I did do walk four miles yesterday.. I'll do the same today. I have my water (I love my water).. and my coffee.. (just two 16oz. cups today)... my Lean Cuisine teriyaki bowl and my shakes. I'm not sure about supper tonight... hm...:?: How is everyone else?

Did I mention today how glad I am I found you guys again? Yep, I really am...

miafluker
01-17-2007, 10:03 PM
i lost another 3lbs but i cant get excited because my digital scale jumps around so much but i did get on it 2x
i also worked out but my eating was not the best
SD Gal-sorry your day went bad hopefully tomorrow wil be better

Is that really me
01-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, I just got back from walking the dog and did 2.75 miles on the TM this a.m. (ran out of time :( ) Foodwise I've been doing pretty well. I did have one 2,000 calorie day on Wed but other than that I'm pretty much hitting the 1,500 calories a day mark. I have no energy this week. I have a cold; nothing bad but I guess it's just zapping my energy. Tomorrow is weigh-in day and I am hoping the scale is down. I don't feel like it is, but that could just be my sluggish, spud-like attitude this week. I woke up at 1a.m. last night cold and my stomach was growling loudly! :eek: My feet were freezing cold even though I had on socks and sleep under a mountain of blankets. I actually had to get up and ate 4 pretzels to shut my stomach up. Cripes, I can't even get away from it all even when I sleep! ;)

SD Gal -- I hear you about wanting bad food. I was reading another thread yesterday and someone was doing their utmost to resist the brownies in the cafeteria at their work. Now all I've been thinking about since I read this is brownies. Actually, brownie batter cause I don't need to bake them; I like the batter better than the brownies! :lol: Baker's one bowl brownies are just rolling around in my head. Tomorrow is my weigh-in day and I'm afraid that if that scale doesn't go down I'll give in to a brownie batter binge. Might be that TOM is probably on it's way too! (Took me awhile to figure out what TOM meant. I kept wondering how everyone knew this Tom guy. How duh can I be? :rolleyes: :lol: ). I like Lean Cuisine stuff too. Have you tried their spinach/mushroom pizza and paninni sandwiches? Very yummy. Hope today is going better for ya! :hug:

Mia, I have a digital scale too. If I lean too far forwards or backwards the numbers can shift. Also, if it bops back and forth between two numbers it means that it's at the half lb. mark. Hope your loss is true!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Jo

SD Gal
01-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Ok, so I had a good eating day yesterday and NOPE, didn't break into the chocolate & pnut butter.. however, I did have a Smart Ones brownie.. so.. I still got my chocolate :devil:

I left work early today, stress on the job has my stomach in knots, which btw, isn't condusive to a happy physical body! Poor morale at work, it sucks. I'll get over it, I always do.

I'll do my two miles tonight when my honey gets home. We're going to eat light and have a big salad with some chicken.. that should be just fine.

I just need to work through this weird feeling I've got of frustration.. :(

Hope everyone had a great day. Cheers~ :)

SD Gal
01-18-2007, 08:07 PM
ITRM,

I know what cha mean... seriously though.. its nice to know WW has something that isn't going to nail me on WI day. lol..

Lean Cuisine has my favorite foods.. their brick oven pizza is SMASHING! I love it. And the pnut thai noodles? Yes... I could eat them every day. lol. I had the regular everything pizza for lunch today.. bfast consisted of coffee (my two 16oz cups with splenda cause it gets me going in the morning. lol) and a banana.. cause my stomach just wasn't feeling right. I havent had any of my shakes today but I think I'll have it with supper.

Keep going! You'll do fabulous!

Jasmine31
01-18-2007, 09:05 PM
About the info for whoever asked I usually hit google when i want to know something. I have read alot on mercolas site and westonprice. SO I do like reading their info.

Anyhow. I just skimmed over the post. Hope everyone is doing well and losing. I wanted to jump on here and ask for those of you who pray to please be praying for us. Just found out last nite that my 14 year old daughter is cutting herself. Yeah. We have removed all sharp objects and have gone thru her anime collection and it seems alot of it is not so innocent. (no porn) but extremely violent stuff!!! She had asked me fo a subscription to shonenjump and it seemed innocent enough but the stuff is full of terrible stuff! Even the few pages I went thru were like people severed and etc. I don't really feel like going into detail but basically I took authority over this and prayed and Joey and I went thru her room last nite getting rid of ALOT of stuff!! It seems during x~mas her reclusiveness hit a plateau more than usual and I figured it was due to being subjected to her dad for his once a year visit. I am sure that had to do with it etc but this evil spirit attacking her was also feeding off all this crap. Even found out she has been having terrible nitemares of peoples flesh falling off etc. That her "JEssie" doll she has had since 6 she caught it walking one nite!! It's in the trash now!

We are trying to handle this delicately and explaining things but no matter what she could be angry. She has been wanting to do homeschool for two years and because we are getting some aid have not been able to(I don't think they allow it) but we have made the decision that we are going to have to. She absolutely HATES going to school. (She also has a weight problem I have been trying to help her with w/out "focusing" on it if ya know what I mean. She was 304 and is now down to 287. I weigh her maybe once a month) Anyhow we feel maybe now is the time for her to be here with me. Eat the healthier foods at home cause the free lunch and breakfast at school is a bunch of crap and half the times she don't eat the breakfast. (We actually want to eventually get to the point where they all eat at home or are sent stuff from home.) I have tried to encourage her with exercise and doing it with her in the past but she was being really bad about it. I explained to her if this is what she really wants then we will do it but she has to keep her grades up, that she is going to have to walk with me 40 minutes -1 hour 5 days a week for "p.e." etc. She is all for it and even went with me today for 40 minutes. We have an apt on monday to meet with the home study program. *sigh* Alot going on but I know God is in control and every day I pray for me to be the mom and wife I am supposed to be and Joet the dad and hubby etc. Yesterday I had also prayed for him to show us if there were any problems in our family to show us and to help us etc and yesterday I stayed home and went on a huge cleaning spree. I normally don't go in her stuff at all let alone her room but went looking for a handkerchief to wear and came across one of our huge kitchen knives and stab marks in the wall. Had her come out to the garage later to talk about that and seen a slash on her arm and another one! Thank God she was open to talking with us etc.

I kept it cool and started praying and wondering what was going on I knew there were little to no outside influences so it had to be coming from inside and things she was doing and went into her room with Joe to look around, etc. Started looking thru all the anime stuff and seen how violent and demonic it is. Got rid of it!

She is in good spirits today. Arrrggghhhh

miafluker
01-18-2007, 10:55 PM
jasmine i sorry to hear that about your daughter i guess i have those teenage years to look forward to:?:

well i worked out today im getting the hang of that but my eating still sucks

Canuk4
01-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi everyone! Jasmine, I will pray for you and her, we had a hard time with our daughter, mainly because of her dad and there relationship and non relationship, she had depression really bad and refused to see a doc. I did get her help, but half the time she would not show up, or even if I drove her watched her go in, she would take off again, then meet me when it was time to go home. Girls I think at times can be more difficult then guys. At least she is talking to you, that is a real biggie, I know with your guidance and help with schooling and food and exercise, she will do well. It is such a terrifying (SP) time for you and hubby. I believe with Gods strength, you will get thru this. You have to be strong and strict with her, maybe tell her it will be on a trial basis, to see how she does. A little fear goes a long way. And lots of love does too, which I am sure she already gets, but she has to realize that herself.

I went about my arm yesterday, seem's the operation I really did not want is the only one that will give me hopefully, full motion and use of my arm. He is booking it, but it maybe a couple of months, I was hoping sooner, as I want to get it over and healed before the summer. Healing times is 3 to 6 mths.
Thanks for the info on your mom's knee operation. It is good to hear the positives.

Spent last night at the hospital with Dad, his back pain got so bad he could not stand it. At least they did X-rays and we know nothing is broken, they gave him a pain shot with a muscle relaxer in it and he is on advil at home today. That only took seven hours to get done. But better he is doing good, than in terrible pain.

Thanks also ladies for your input about windows. Still have not figured out where I will borrow that from, am trying to get it on one of the lower interest cards for a certain period of time. Fun wow!

I did not get decent food in yesterday or today. Will try and do better tomorrow. No exercise yesterday, but about 50-60 mins. floor today.
Take care everyone, remember Jasmine we are here for you!
Sharon

Canuk4
01-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Jasmine, I did not find out that my daughter was taking off, till she was well into adulthood. She is now a Child and Youth Worker, helping kids in all kinds of situations from 0 to 17, she works for a Crisis Centre and often goes out to see parents and kids, to help them with idea's, what is available in the area for help, she always talks one on one with the parents and kids to see each point of view. She can sometimes get more out of the kids talking this way. Not that I don't think your doing a good job Jasmine. But I would never of thought this girl of mine would choose this as a career.

Is that really me
01-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Jasmine, so sorry to hear about your daughter. :hug: I just saw something on a program this week about a school for the troubled/bad kids that they stopped using the government funded food (basically all crap) and do all the cooking themselves, fresh fruits/veggies/ good protein (I think no meat), no soda or candy machines in the building. Amazingly these kids are all doing much much better in behavior and school work. And the cost was the same as all the crap the government says is good for you. What you eat absolutely affects your behavior. My kids almost never, ever buy their lunch at school. Oldest once in a while (when I run out of bread!), the two younger ones never. Also, does your daughter have a computer in her room? Sorry, but that's a huge no-no in my book. My kids complain that all their friends have computers and cell phones and tvs and stuff in their rooms. For one, they don't need it in their rooms and the internet is like opening your door and letting the whole world in -- the good, the bad and the ugly. And these kid's just don't have the skills to be able to sort out the difference. Adults can, but kids are just kids. Our computer is in our living room. I won't even put it in the basement; out of parent's sight is trouble. I hope you can work things out for your family. I'll say a pray for you and your family.

Well, the scale actually did go down 1 lb. from last week. I'm very pleased! :woohoo: Just got done 25 minutes on the total gym and am off to walk the doggie.

SD - I never did give into the brownie batter temptation. If today hadn't been weigh-in day for me I might have; but the urge has passed (at least for now! ;)). Hope everyone else is doing well!

Jo

martiniforme
01-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Jasmine: Congrats on the loss!! You are sooo close! And I am sooo excited for you! YEAH YEAH YEAH!

Marbleflys: Don't be fooled! I'm not good at dieting. I will do good for about a week, then have a slipup. The only difference between my dieting now and my dieting before 3FC, is that I have realized the a slipup is not the end of the world. For example, if in the afternoon before my afternoon snack, I eat horribly, then I just won't have my planned afternoon snack, I have dinner, but won't eat my evening snack. And then next day I just keep on with my planned diet for the day. Even if you aren't dieting, I would still keep an eye on the nutritional information. I've been noticing that a lot of healthy packaged items are sometimes really high in calories, and although you are only eating an average amount, and it's healthy, it could still be causing you to gain weight because your calories in are higher than your calories out.

Mimi: I've been growing my hair for almost 4 years, and it's still only halfway down my back, even when I skip a month of a hair cut. Many times I've been tempted to "cut my losses," but I always feel differently the next day. I just can't let it go! Haha. I just love the option to have more styles, even if most days I just put it in a pony tail :lol:. And I remember when I worked at NETELLER (www.neteller.com), and everything seemed that it was ALWAYS down! It was sooo frusterating. Grr!

Ennay: Welcome back! I was just wondering the other day where you were at, I hadn't seen you in a while :)

Sharon: Cabouche is doing well. He's healing very fast, and he's not even mad at me! lol. He was trying to knead me the day he came home (1 day after the operation) and his poor little paw was just shaking. And he would try to jump, and his little legs were giving out on him, so I just carried him everywhere and babied him hehe. And I figure as long as I have my 45 minute workout where my heart rate is in the zone, then really the extra 20 minutes, although not as much of an impact, is still something :D. And I use Pam. But I use the extra virgin olive oil Pam. And eep on the windows. Did everything work out?

Mia: She posted a couple days ago, but has been busy with finals etc.

Jasmine: I am really sorry to hear about the troubles on the homefront.
I would like to offer you some advice if you're willing to hear it.

I'm 23 years old. I remember what it was like being 16.
I don't share this with many people. But I love you girls and I trust you girls with everything.
I was also a cutter. I used to use razorblades, safety pins, knives, whatever I could get my hands on.
What I would like to share with you is some insight in to my own mentality at that time, and my mentality through the healing process, and what I needed from my dad (and unfortunately never got).
I felt so alone, so depressed. The only word to this day is to describe myself as "dead inside." I would hurt so bad, but at the same time, I would feel like I was numb and unfeeling. I would use various tactics to try and "call out" for help to my father. And he just never got it. It seemed to me at the time that he was oblivious to me and my problems. I didn't realize until I was older and healing that I wasn't being fair to him. I was making him be a mind reader, which he was not.
I was very depressed. I used to sit in my rocking chair in front of my bedroom window and just cry. That was my release when I was 14. Around the time I turned 16, I couldn't even cry anymore. The tears would JUST not come, so I just started scratching my skin with a safety pin to see if I could feel it, and it stemmed from there.
I tried to see my school counsellor, but my dad didn't like me doing that because she was a feminist, and my dad was in a life long battle with feminists (being a single father, and having his own issues). So I wasn't allowed to see her anymore. I was so angry. You'd never guess me to be the type if you knew me when I was younger. I was quiet, shy until people got to know me, an academic, I loved to read, great grades (GPA 3.65), Principle's Honour Roll, that sort of thing.
If I can give you ANY advice, it will be this.
I would turn your focus from the violent images (teens know better, and most are able to distinguish between what is real and what is not real), and start focusing on what's going on inside her head. Sit down, write out all the questions you want to ask, and make sure to ask EVERYTHING. Get her in to see a counselor or a psychiatrist. THIS IS KEY! I wasn't able to start dealing with my emotions until I was an adult, and started seeing a psychiatrist. With all the physical/mental/sexual abuse I received (not from my father, but from other family members), I had ALOT of issues to work out. Children are growing up mentally younger and younger every day, and she may not know how to deal with the things going on inside of her.
Also, having been an overweight child, my dad would always be honest with me. If I asked him if he was fat, he would say I wasn't fat, but I could stand to lose a couple pounds for health reasons. I keep thinking of how I would feel if my mother asked me to stand on a scale once a month. Make sure she's okay with this. If not, I would just let the doctor weigh her during her checkups. At her young age, just focusing on exercise and eating healthy is good without all the hangups of losing weight combined with societies views on what women should look like/act like. I am not trying to criticize you, just telling you how I would feel if my parents did that to me.
So the things I need to stress are:
- COUNSELOR!!
- More communication with all the questions parents don't ask
- Focus on self esteem, improving it, always encouraging and complimenting
- Focus on getting healthy, less on body image
- Make sure she knows that SHE IS NOT A BAD PERSON for what she is doing. There is probably a lot of guilt attached to you finding out what she's doing. That she may have let you down in some way. And a lot of relief at the same time because she doesn't have to hide it anymore.
- If you guys are firm believers in religions, that could be her anchoring point, where she can place her faith that she will be alright.

My heart really goes out to you guys. Get knowledge, and get it fast. Talk to people, do some internet surfing. Get the facts on the this. Make sure you are armed with the answers to the questions she has. Knowledge is power. The more you understand about this disease, the more you can help her understand. It's a self image disease, much like EDs. She needs professional help, I can not stress this enough.
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
I am here any time you need me, any questions you have, I can help you find information! Anything you ask, it's your's!
a.daines@telus.net. Anything!

marbleflys
01-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi guys;

missed the thread yesterday........OY! Jasmine, I feel for you...as the single parent of a former rebellous, unhappy overweight teenage daughter, I know you want to shield your child and keep her safe, healthy and happy.....(it ain't easy).

Get some outside help for her....your insurance should approve counseling by a social worker who acts in a psych. setting. (MSW)...you need professional intervention along with prayers....and further isolating her might not be the best solution

14 year old girls are difficult, complex with a full set of developing hormones and a mindset that can change in 10 mins. 10X a day.....

my daughter was reclusive at home, hated me, blamed me for her weight, loved her friends, ran away 3X in one year...(from NJ to Texas) and it took 3 years to get her back on track, I never could have done it alone and her father took an active loving roll....he was a baffled as I was.

I hope things go well for you.

On a lighter note......I've continued my daily cardio/wts. training and don't have too much appetite for sweets/chips/etc....(but I'd love a real strong spicey bloody mary right now)....the Xmas chocolates are going stale.

what about everyone else?

Jasmine31
01-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanx everyone for the support! miafluker, Canuk4, Is that really me, :hug:

Thank you for the prayers. We need them!

Jasmine, I will pray for you and her, we had a hard time with our daughter, mainly because of her dad and there relationship and non relationship, she had depression really bad and refused to see a doc. I did get her help, but half the time she would not show up, or even if I drove her watched her go in, she would take off again, then meet me when it was time to go home. Girls I think at times can be more difficult then guys. At least she is talking to you, that is a real biggie,

I hear ya on that one. She is definately the quiet type just like her dad. Sometimes I ask her a question and she won't answer me at all! It makes me feel like smacking her but I know that is just me trying to "control" the situation thru anger and that is not what I am about. I bite my tongue and try to ask her again and if she don't respond, let it go. When we were going thru the divorce 2 years ago the mediator recommended counseling for all kids so I took them and Kass was the only one we felt needed longer therapy but as you know that takes a while to establish rapport and trust with a child. We had a few visits but I wound up losing the van in the divorce, (he wanted it I said here, have it then! Lets not fight about it and just get it over with. He of course never made another payment and it was repo'd) Anyhow so the visits came to a halt. Joey and I have talked about more counseling but since we MAy be moving we are going to try to wait til Mt. It won't do her much good to get attached and then to move etc. I am sure all of you know what I mean and this is something that would take time of trust etc built up and her wanting to open up to talk, not just a few sessions and there your fine etc. I am also going to need to investigate out there to find a great christian counselor etc.

For now I am glad she does talk to us and generally she does spend time with us. Usually in the evenings we all have dinner together. Afterward Joey takes a break and plays on the p.c. for maybe 30 minutes and then sometimes we play games or watch movies with them, bake, have family discussions etc. Sometimes the kids run off to play and do their own thing and alot of times she will be at our door wanting to hang out with us or just to talk w/out the other kids so we do that with her.

Like I have told Joe before, she is a teenager I am surprised she wants to talk to us at all!! :lol:

But sometimes when it comes to what really bugs her she is hesitant. She said it doesn't bother her her dad is not around and that she never thinks about him. (I think she is trying to protect herself) :( Every once in a while she likes to try to arm wrestle and goof off with Joe and the other two boys. She is alot different than I am and more like her dad so that is hard for me to undersatnd sometimes. I have always accepted the kids however they want to be cause I do not expect them to be like me etc(I know all kids do take some characteristics etc) You know what I mean.

I am glad that she feels safe at home and actually wants to be here. So many kids her age are trying to get away from home cause their parents are not there for them or are there but are drug addicts alcoholics abusive etc. So if whatever is going onout there in the real world I am glad that she feels safe here and wants to be here. I don't want her becoming a complete recluse though.

You know back when I was in high school I was 15 and 215 pounds. I did want to lose weight to impress some boy and started eating healthier and walking lots. Lost down to 12 jeans and 160 pounds or so. But even being 215 I felt humongous!! When I was 160 I felt good about myself and there were other girls similiar wieghts and some of my friends too. But still the "normal" weight for girls then was like 135 or so. size 5-7, not size 12. So even around them I felt "fat".

But nowadays it is different in school. All these girls(alot) want to be anorexic! SOme of these girls are 100-115 pounds!!! Kass is 287 so that is a big difference from 287 vs 115 or so as to my 160 vs. 135. SO I can see why she don't want to be around people! She has already been steadily losing between eating healthy and snacks just at dinner and home. They rarely get junk food at home. They get pizza out maybe once a month. The sad thing is when my mom passed away two years ago near x~mas. She was NOT this heavy! (She has always been heavy but not this bad) I have pics. But you know how weight is it creeps up on ya. I was looking back thru pics and was shocked. She probably gained a good 50 pounds or so in a short period of time. I know why too. She was 12 years old, her parents are going thru a messy divorce, mom has a new guy in the pic, grandma who she was close to dies!(my mom) my dad dies a few months later and then all of a sudden her dad just abandons her. Only comes by like once a year!! That is ALOT to deal with!!! I had to deal with all of it but I am an adult!! I had my heart broken with my ex but I also had Joe there to help pick up the pieces. Joe is here for all of them and even wants to adopt them if he could but she is 12! She accepts him and all but you know, Charlie is her dad. It may take years, even adult hood before she can really trust Joe and know he is going to really be there and is a dad to her. You all know what I mean. AAahhhhhh. Anyways. I am not going to stick her on a calorie diet but just try to make sure she eats healthy at almost every meal and if she is hungry? Eat some more. Usually at dinner I was trying to feed her similiar to me but maybe a little more. We are 82 pounds different so what may be enough for me may not be enough for her. Unfortunately in the past she really dug her heels in about NOT wanting to walk with me. I was caught between wondering if I should be a complete ***** or just let her have her way. On one hand it is her life and you can lead a horse to water...etc but on the other hand I KNOW the damage being fat can do! Diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc. I have seen it first hand with both my parents. **** no! But when I tried to "force" her. She would literally drag her feet!! It would of taken violence to get her going and I ain't doing that. I tried bribing her too with money. She didn't care. Once in a while, like twice a month we would get her to go on a family bike ride to the park. Then it got cold. We need to start that again maybe tomorrow.

Anyhow trial basis. That is exactly what I told her. I am also going to make up a little contract for her too. Basically doing her school work w/out me nagging. Same with walking etc. Maybe this is the best thing she needs and maybe once her weight gets back down maybe she will start becoming more social. When we get to Mt we want to start doing alot more things like camping, hiking, fishing etc. Those are things we were starting to do out here before we lost the car.

And lots of love does too, which I am sure she already gets, but she has to realize that herself.

Exactly. I know she does cause there are different times she tells me I am the best mom etc. A few months ago she even made a surprise tea party in my honor!!! It was so sweet!!

That one nite I felt bad about needing to get rid of the things but what I told her is this, you may think I am being a "pain in the butt" and may be mad at me or hate me for a while but my number one job is to protect you! SO you can be mad at me all you want. She mentioned me going thru her notebooks I grabbed etc and I said I could understand being upset about that and normally I would let you have your privacy, I do, but when you cut yourself you have lost the right to that for now.

That is like when she started acting really quiet and hardly coming out of her room during x~mas break etc. I kept asking Joe, is she okay? Is something wrong? HE thought, shes just being a teenager etc. It was also around the time we heard from the ex and he is dying etc. SO I tryed to talk to her and let her know if she is upset we are here to talk etc but was not pushy and tryed to encourage her to come out of her room and spend time with us etc.

I went about my arm yesterday, seem's the operation I really did not want is the only one that will give me hopefully, full motion and use of my arm. He is booking it, but it maybe a couple of months, I was hoping sooner, as I want to get it over and healed before the summer. Healing times is 3 to 6 mths.
Thanks for the info on your mom's knee operation. It is good to hear the positives.

Okay sweetie at least it is set. Keep reminding us so we can be praying for you!!! :hug:

Spent last night at the hospital with Dad, his back pain got so bad he could not stand it. At least they did X-rays and we know nothing is broken, they gave him a pain shot with a muscle relaxer in it and he is on advil at home today. That only took seven hours to get done. But better he is doing good, than in terrible pain.

Well I am glad. WHat about like chinese therapy not the acupuncture one but, you know what I mean?

I did not get decent food in yesterday or today. Will try and do better tomorrow. No exercise yesterday, but about 50-60 mins. floor today.

Eat the healthy food! Even if you eat to much to lose at least eat the good stuff to be healthy!

Take care everyone, remember Jasmine we are here for you!
Sharon

Aww that brought some tears to my eyes!! Thanx so much. I know we will be okay and I just keep telling myself the scripture, "Train up a child,..." No one ever said parenting would be easy. There were also some little wooden dolls attached to her notebooks. Sad faces on all of them!!! Strange hunh? Trash!!!! When we get our taxes there are some bible videogames I want to get them. Does anyone have the 411 on bible stuff to get involved with for teens? Like hobby stuff? I want to replace this with something. I know the chronicles of narnia are good. Going to get those. But I would love to have like a monthly magazine etc. I need to find a christian book store or something.

Jasmine, I did not find out that my daughter was taking off, till she was well into adulthood. She is now a Child and Youth Worker, helping kids in all kinds of situations from 0 to 17, she works for a Crisis Centre and often goes out to see parents and kids, to help them with idea's, what is available in the area for help, she always talks one on one with the parents and kids to see each point of view. She can sometimes get more out of the kids talking this way. Not that I don't think your doing a good job Jasmine. But I would never of thought this girl of mine would choose this as a career.

That is awesome! I am so glad she turned out okay. It is great to know people who are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Like I told satan that nite when I took authority over this, she is MY daughter, NOT YOURS!! He can't have her!!!

Is that really me:

Jasmine, so sorry to hear about your daughter. I just saw something on a program this week about a school for the troubled/bad kids that they stopped using the government funded food (basically all crap) and do all the cooking themselves, fresh fruits/veggies/ good protein (I think no meat), no soda or candy machines in the building. Amazingly these kids are all doing much much better in behavior and school work. And the cost was the same as all the crap the government says is good for you. What you eat absolutely affects your behavior.

Exactly! I agree with this completely. What makes me mad is they feed them crap anyways. WHy????? I used to work at the cafeteria so i know what they eat in the jr. high. "pancake on a stick", churro, chocolate muffins, taco nada wrapped and heated in plastic!!!, chicken nuggest, corn dogs, pizza as an offering or choice every day!!! wrapped and heated in plastic!!! burritos the same way!! No more.

My two younger ones go to school later so I have been making them oatmeal and fruit or an egg toast and fruit for breakfast. SO that is a start. I need to get up earlier for Chris cause he goes at 6:50!! He told me they tryed to feed him cereal the other day!!!! Grrrr!!! SO I just need to get up a little earlier for him. We get our taxes they are all getting lunch boxes and the chili beans and sphgetti and chicken soup is pretty cheap to make. Plus has veggies and good stuff. I can make muffins premade and send that and an apple or an orange. We are going to get a wheat grinder so will start doing our own bread. Quite a few nites a week I am already making biscuits from scratch or corn bread from a mix, going to try to get some corn meal today. ;) So once I can put all this into place it won't be too bad financially wise. Hopefully next year we can start rasing our won chickens and doing our own omega 3 eggs! Not to mention our own veggie garden etc. :D

Also, does your daughter have a computer in her room? Sorry, but that's a huge no-no in my book. My kids complain that all their friends have computers and cell phones and tvs and stuff in their rooms. For one, they don't need it in their rooms and the internet is like opening your door and letting the whole world in -- the good, the bad and the ugly. And these kid's just don't have the skills to be able to sort out the difference. Adults can, but kids are just kids. Our computer is in our living room. I won't even put it in the basement; out of parent's sight is trouble. I hope you can work things out for your family. I'll say a pray for you and your family.

No the p.c. is in my room but I have allowed her to go on it and she usually went to youtube. Back when I didn't think there was anything wrong with the anime. No more! Thanx hun!!!! :hug:

Well, the scale actually did go down 1 lb. from last week. I'm very pleased! Just got done 25 minutes on the total gym and am off to walk the doggie.

That is great! Keep up the great work hun!!!

Well thanx ladies I do feel alot better and maybe this is just what she needs.

Despite all this I am still eating healthy! My cals have been around 1700 or so most nites. Been doing my kefir and my fruit and veggies. BEen keeping the carbs around 40% or so, trying to. The fat % has been a little higher than I would like,

1-15 1765 fat 35%/carbs 50%/protein 15%
1-16 1707 fat 42%/carbs 41%/protein 17%
1-17 1900 fat 44%/carbs 37%/protein 19%
1-18 1693 fat 44%/carbs 30%/protein 26%

The fat is higher than I wanted , want to keep it at 30-35 but oh well. It is working for me losing! I have lost two pounds this week so far! Yeah! I steppped on the scale this a.m. and am 205!!! SO I lost another pound this week! I am jazzed!!!

Tomorrow my dh wants to take us out to dinner and a movie. He sold some of his old stuff and made $100.00 so I am all for that! My all time fav meal is prime rib. Coco's is advertising it for $11.99!!! That is where we are going! Earlier in the week i was planning out to be really bad tomorrw! prime rib, baked potato with lots o butter and sour cream! salad w/ lots of ranch. hehehehe Maybe even a desert! Maybe even REAL soda!! hahahahah BIG HUGE bucket of super buttery popcorn!! and more soda!! But you know what? I have worked so hard on being good and am down two pounds and I know I will NOT forgive myself if I am back up to 206 cause of that! That is pointless. So I am going to enjoy my meal with diet soda! maybe split a desert with him. But NO on the popcorn!

Usually once a week we have been making our own popcorn in olive oil with me having maybe 1 tbs of real butter on top. Last week I had microwave popcorn with the real butter on top. (and it hasn't affected me losing, it actually usually doesn't, it is when I get rigorous and cut stuff like that out when i lose less!!! ;)

Anyhow I told myself that the home made popcorn is fine, cause I know real stuff is going in it not that fake crap! with God only knows what kind of oil and butter. So I will have some of our own maybe sunday. That is my plan! I will do fruit smoothie for breakfast and maybe a light lunch. I can do this!!!

By the way I have already lost 5 pounds this month! Yeah!!! When I put my vday goal into fitday it says I need to lose 2.07 pounds a week. I can do this! You ladies can too!!

Jasmine31
01-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Mande and marbles I took forever to write that and just see you both posted so I am going to read em and then I will post. (Just didn't want you two to think I am ignoring yas!)

Jasmine31
01-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Mande: thanx so much for sharing that hun! I am so glad you got thru it. I do want to get her into a great counselor, I explained that in my above post. I am trying to focus with her on healthy eating and exercise not on weight. That is why she has only been weighed 3 times since last summer. I was thinking once a month would be a good standard and she seems okay with it. I try not to make it an "issue" but she has seen me losing and is very proud of me. I have set her down and talked to her about health concerns though as both my parents are dead because of their lifestyles etc. I always grew up knowing the dangers of drugs and stayed away from it. I never realized about the dangers of "bad foods" and not exercising and eating too much etc. So I am trying to teach my kids that. I don't try to focus on her size or weight etc. I don't want her feeling like that too. I am sure she knows.

I do feel this stuff is bad and needs to be gotten rid of. There were many demonic images and I was so shocked. No wonder she is having trouble. I do know there are deeper problems and that is just the tip of the iceburg. (Kind of like ozzys suicide solution, many kids grew up hearing that and nothing, some kids took it to heart and killed themselves, now obviously there had to be something else going on for them to not be able to "handle" that music. But they obviously couldnt and it was a breaking point, surrounding themselves with crap like that just pushed them over the edge. So with her she doesn't need more bad stuff that feeds on this. I know that is not the primary problem. I think you all know what I mean. We are going to work thru it with her and maybe spending more time with me would be good for her. Maybe she needs that more attention.)

Make sure she knows that SHE IS NOT A BAD PERSON for what she is doing. There is probably a lot of guilt attached to you finding out what she's doing. That she may have let you down in some way. And a lot of relief at the same time because she doesn't have to hide it anymore.

Great idea. This was the first two times she did it. I think she also did it in a place where she KNEW we would see. I know she wanted us to find out so that is great. She has been alot more cheerful and I think just getting that off her chest really helped. She is really happy not to be going back to school and was trying to be super helpful with dinner last nite. I feel we are on the right track. Now just to replace her hobby. :D

I am here any time you need me, any questions you have, I can help you find information! Anything you ask, it's your's!

Thanx so much sweetie!!!

I also strongly feel that it was a demonic attack. I didn't say this earlier but even just last week I was getting depressed and didn't know why, I thought it was cause of getting tom soon. I was so upset one nite when Joe was on his way home from work on the bus I was crying and started having a panic attack and tryed to keep hanging up with him on the phone, he kept calling back. Something in my head was telling me to slice my arm or my wrist!! I HATE pain and I HATE blood! But it was very overwhelming. Even though I am very strong in prayer and rebuking the enemy when I "see it". When I get upset like that I don't even realize I am being attacked and that is when Joe starts praying for me and I am able to calm down!! I was able to fight the temptation of that by thinking of the consequences and how mad i would be if I did that. I told myself if you need to let some anger out etc than break something! haha I know, sounds bad but better than cutting myself. But I didn't want to do that either so just stayed in bed til Joe got home.

I felt bad that something was attacking both her and I and I didn't even realize it. :(

marbleflys:

OY! Jasmine, I feel for you...as the single parent of a former rebellous, unhappy overweight teenage daughter, I know you want to shield your child and keep her safe, healthy and happy.....(it ain't easy).

Get some outside help for her....your insurance should approve counseling by a social worker who acts in a psych. setting. (MSW)...you need professional intervention along with prayers....and further isolating her might not be the best solution

I have thought about all this and am going to get her counseling. I have also weighed the pros and cons of the home study thing and have always wanted to push the social thing. But it is not working. And especially in this area it may do more harm than good. (If anyone remmebers it was just a few months ago she was in the middle of a fight with gangmembers that were neighbours and I had to go get in the middle to protect her! Gangs, drugs and Gosh knows what else at the school. She doesn't want to be there and right now I can honestly think of a good reason why. Lots of moms home school to control the environment. (usually christian) I am not a controlling person but do think if you are committed and organized it can be a good thing. I do feel she still needs to have a social outlet and we still have church. Like I said she really does NOT want to be around people at all at this point and I think it does have to do with her weight and that with her being home we can work on that and esp. we are either moving to Mt this year or egtting another vehicle. So either way we will be taking them out to do stuff on the weekends and she actually does enjoy that. Hopefully maybe in two years she will want to get back into stuff and I do want to see if I can find her a christian club etc around here.

Anyhow got to run!!! I love you guys!! :hug:

marbleflys
01-19-2007, 02:29 PM
OK, now I see your point for the HSchooling........the environment at school is not safe...even if she was a "street-tough" kid....I'm a typical NJ native, urban born & bred, (I escaped to UPenn) 30 mins. from NYC, when I think of CA, I think you all live at Malibu beach and drive hummers....sorry, it must be like Newark.
Keeping her from a gang area, vicious kids with no conscious or example to follow....absolutely.....if she is sensitive in nature, she's more likely to be a target...(they always pick on them). I hope she finds a good social network as she gains more confidence in herself.

FYI, it's my experience that counseling would involve private sessions for her and then some family sessions where you gain insite to her perceptions and are advised on how you proceed to solve the problem.

Jasmine31
01-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanx Marbles!! Yeah it is NOT Malibu Beach! hahahahaha We are about 100 miles from L.A. We live in the high desert area. We moved here from San BErnardino area which had gotten VERY bad! SO the "high desert" is a BIG step up and although we don't have the gang problems of L.A. or Berdoo, it is getting ALOT worse cause they are sending all the bad kids from there up here and now homes up here, although they have skyrocketed in price, are still MUCH cheaper here than down below. So EVERYONE is moving up here!

The house we live in is only about 15 years od. So they are all still nice. What happened was when the air force base was here(4 miles away) people were building and buying but then that closed so alot of people moved away and not much work out here etc. So prices fell hard and there were even alot of "hud" homes out here. (Wish I would of been able to buy then!) So trying to escape the real bad areas in Berdoo this is like a paradise compared to it. Most of my neighbours are spanish speaking, no english. A few whites and a few blacks. When we moved here it was probably about $80,000 wish i would of been able to buy this house(4 bedroom/2 bathroom/corner lot) That was barely 5 years ago. Now this house is appraised at $280,000!!! Our rent was $725.00 and crept up to $750.00 and now is $900.00 which is still a great deal. I have a friend in the seedier section of this town renting a 2 bedroom apt for $650.00!!! That is crazy!

So all in all the area is pretty good BUT this last 2 years it has gotten bad. 2 xmases ago our house was broken into and someone stole BOTH ps2's, games, dvd players, etc!!! Around February of last year it went from "not so bad" to REALLY BAD!! catty corner and across the street a gang family moved in. I swear there was like 20 of em! 2 moms two dads and a pile of kids and teenagers. They all looked like gang bangers and the girls came over and wanted Kass(my eldest) to go hang out and talk but she didn't want to.

There were two girls and one boy that rode Chris and Kass bus out to jr. high with them. Lots of cars coming and going. Cops coming by all the time. At 4 o clock one morning we heard a drive by shooting!!!! Guess where? Yep! At their house. The first shooting I have EVER heard up here! Fortunately they are on the other side of the street but what if they started shooting back? That is our house!!! VERY scary!!!

It really hit in June when it started getting warm and the rest of the house was locked but we decided to keep our window open a little. Around 3 a.m. I heard the mini blind roll straight up!!! I woke up but thought maybe a bird hit it?!? Went back to sleep but was a little disturbed. 4 oclock I feel a presence in my room!! I look over and there is some guy sitting in our window!!!!!! (We have a huge sliding glass window) I started screaming and grabbing at Joe. He finally woke up turned and looked but the guy was gone by then. I managed to choke out someones here. He thought I just "thought" he didn't know I had seen someone but he got on his pants and was getting ready to race out there anyhow.

I KNEW someone was there and that he would probably meet up with them. Joey grew up tough and I know he can handle himself but idk if the guy had a gun or a knife or if someone else was in the house with our kids etc!!!! SO I said, NO! Go check on the kids!!!!! He did and they were fine and then went around the house and seen a bike out front by our car!!!! I had a panic attack so bad that morning we thought I was having a heart attack!!!! Stole my purse and everything

That is what pretty much sealed the decision that we HAVE to move!!!!

Then not long later Kass and Chris having trouble with the gang family. (They had done a drive by on another family that they thought was harassing their kids) This time it was THEIR kids harassing MY kids! I am NOT going to stand for it! So I went over there and got in a very heated discussion where the mom agreed, her boy is a bad kid and that all her older kids are in juvenile hall. She has 10! I suggested that if our kids do not like each other than they all can stay away from each other etc!

Thank God that turned out okay. They also moved about 2 months ago so things are settling down again but this is the kind of stuff we are dealing with here.

At the other jr. high they went to last year(That one closed down) I worked there as a cashier. Anyhow my son is more on the scrawny side and was not raised rough. HE does get picked on cause he is smaller and not "tough enough" and he is also in a smaller class so he can focus and learn! Anyhow someone tryed to get in a fight with him, (not the first one) but he tryed to fight back and the security guard even came and talked to me and let me know what was going on. She asked me to PLEASE tell my son to NOT fight back, to come and get one of them. She said alot of these kids are really bad and bring their own weapons to school etc. She said he could get seriously hurt trying to fight back! uuggghhhhhh

And that really sucks cause I have always tryed to teach my kids how to stand up for themselves etc and for me to get involved only when it is serious(like the gang case)

Yeah we just want to get the **** away. Joey grew up for a few years in south Carolina and that really toughed him up. He has been in many fights and even been stabbed. So when he moved to Mt he was like in culture shock. That is good. That is what we want!!

Jasmine31
01-19-2007, 06:55 PM
my daughter was reclusive at home, hated me, blamed me for her weight, loved her friends, ran away 3X in one year...(from NJ to Texas) and it took 3 years to get her back on track, I never could have done it alone and her father took an active loving roll....he was a baffled as I was.

My gosh! How did you get thru it???

loveandlaughalways
01-20-2007, 01:08 AM
I just found out they have a teen center in town!! It is based on God and supported through people and churchs. wow it has been here for 5 years and I had no idea.

Jasmine I just want to tell you that my prayers are with you. I was a very lonely child growing up my parents were divorced, I had what I thought an evil step mother and I moved in with my mother at age 11 who was never home worked full-time and was always at the bar after that at least til midnight if not later.

I could not stand school!! Kids were and are still cruel and I always felt like I didn't fit in. I too tried to cut my self around age 14 with glass in a abandoned barn by myself a couple times, but luckily it didn't work. We moved and I still was lonely. I got into alcohol and drugs, dropped out of school at age 17. Later after moving again by myself to Oregon then back to CA down south by Fresno.

I got focused somewhere along the line and obtained my GED then started college and found a new focus in life, but then I had to move back to the same area and moved back with my mom I didn't want to (I was enjoying being on my own for once) and cried with heart sickness.

I had my first son got divorced and had a new focus someone that I had to take care of and I swore I would make sure my children were never lonely and had some sort of focus in life (finally, a reason to live; I never knew what love was until then).

I finally reached my goal finishing college and becoming a nurse at age 28. I Never thought it would happen. I was then able to support myself if needed, but have always desired to stay home full-time, but I am able to stay home much of the time only working 8 days a month. Even now those feelings of worthlessness come back and even interfere with work and life.

I ask my kids everything. I am kind of more of a friend at times than a parent. Although through play, I try and teach them everything that I have learned upon the way. I ask a million questions and try to listen as much as possible. I look at all of their friends and ask them questions we play games like Chicken Soup for the Kids Soul ( you wouldn't believe what comes out then).

I probably bug them too much and they do tell me to stop sometimes, but I just say you know what I am learning too and I am doing way better then my parents did before me. I had to learn the hard way.

I tell them I hope they use the info in a productive manner and I constantly remind them that staying here is only a temporary thing, I am just here to love and teach them what I know, they have their whole lives in front of them and that they will have to make their own way and ask what they are going to do with their lives (college, job, what?).

My oldest will be 14 next month and it scares me everyday, I keep waiting for him to slam the door in my face and shut me out. He is as tall as me now and next year probably taller. I just hope I can keep him focused and busy (sports etc...and keep him focused on health, mentally and physically).

Don't know what you can do with that above but I will be praying for you! Thank God you found out now!!

Canuk4
01-20-2007, 04:01 AM
I am so glad that everyone is so supportive of you and your family Jasmine, I should of known they would be. It is so unbelieveable all that I read, I am totally shocked, only because so much of it I can relate to myself. Hooray for these wonderful ladies, you should all be so proud of what you have been thru and come out of. I know that is hard, as I am relating to being lonely myself, my mom preferred my 3 brothers and was very hard on me, I had to clean up after them all the time, they never had many chores, were spoiled.

I was seperated from my X when my daughter was 17mths and I was pregnant for my son, took the idiot back for 6 weeks and we split again, he wrote my car off, left me living outside the city, in the country where I only new one person, called and was coming after me one night when he was drunk, I got out with the kids and never lived there again. When I packed up my Dad was there and had a baseball bat in case he came back, he didn't.
I lived in a one bedroom apt. with my two kids in the bedroom in cribs and me on a pull out couch in the living room. I swore that my kids would be brought up different, listened too and shown they were loved, and I did, but that still was not enough for my daughter, sometimes no matter what we do, it is not enough. She was always a loner, had one friend she still is friends with, spent a lot of time alone in her room too, I would check on her, be there for her if she was upset, hold her, try to say the right words and never feel even now that I do. But she was like her Dad, very stubborn, with a mind of her own from a young age. She left home to live with a guy when she was 17, she quit school and worked full time at Wendy's Rest., he was a guy who was not very intelligent, but had some money. She lived there for maybe 4 mths, then we brought her home and she was even more indepentent, she had had a touch of freedom (she asked to come home), but that is when she went to counselling at this school and she would go in one door and out another, then meet me for pick-up. Eventually I was able to influence her to go back to school and graduate, the day she did she said, I only did this because of you. But then she went to college, found her nitch and is doing well now, she still suffers from SAD disorder, but her dad and I suffer from depression, so it did not come as a big surprise, with the trials of trying to get her out of her bed and all the rest that went with it. I have never seen her so happy as she is now, with the man of her dreams, she takes things in stride, laughs a lot, is just plain happy.

So people and especially Jasmine, you can do everything in your power and she still may show a mind of her own. Though I think because of her age, you have a lot more going for you, in dealing with her. Just keep up what your doing, with giving her a lot of attention and really listening to her, I agree with the counseling the girls have suggested, but make sure she is happy with the person she has to relate too, even if you have to try more than one. I think that is really important. I prayed for her today and will continue to do so.

Good thing the gang family moved away, I think it does not matter where you live, we were suspicious of the people living next door, sure enough they had a grow operation going, our houses are all around 50 yrs. old, and most times the grow operations around here are in the newer and bigger houses, but the signs never seem to change. Thank goodness they moved. We talked to the next owner and found out there was the big flouresent lights all piled downstairs.

I was 135 in grade 8 and was called Baby Moose, I was so hurt it stayed with me, I gained from there and probably was about 160 when I graduated. But I have been a yo yo dieter all my life, I can feel for your daughter and how cruel kids can be. So you get my vote on the home schooling.

Thanks for the kind words about my arm, it is now the waiting game that I hate, I want to take action, once a decision is made.

I visited Dad tonight, he is doing much better, he felt a little worse earlier in the day, so glad he came around.

Food wise today, was not too bad, had two smoothies and a roast beef sub on whole wheat. Only exercise was walking around the stores and grocery shopping, hubby was with me so curbed my spending thank-goodness. Was still at 131 when I weighed, so that is okay.

Take care and have a good day everyone.
Sharon

stopeating
01-20-2007, 09:46 AM
I've been mia for a few days. Jasmine I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. My son was 7 when he started cutting himself. He had over 40 cuts over his body one day on the playground. We had to put him in a hospital for a week. They explained that when someone hurts so badly inside and does not no how to handle it, they cut themselves because they understand physical pain and its easier to deal with.

Anyway he is 12 now and on meds and an honor student. It hasn't happened again since the meds were straightened out.

Life is pretty busy around here. Got our water bill and found out we had two leaking toilets! We were able to fix one and hired someone to fix the other one. Oh well. :(

I'm doing just okay on eating. Not overeating but not really dieting well either. I've haven't been exercising either.

I got blood work taken from an allergist and found out that my thybroglouibin (sp?) is 117. A normal range is below 10. I'm not sure what that means. I called my doctors office and did not get a return call. I did some research on the internet and there were all kinds of possibilities from hyperthyroid to cancer. Just like someone to explain it to me.:?:

We are going to a reward luncheon for my oldest son. He got a scholarship for writing a paper on freedom. We find out today if he wins regional. If he does he has to read his paper out loud today and I think he secretly hopes that he doesn't win. ;)

miafluker
01-20-2007, 12:24 PM
well i weighed in this morning the scale said 225 so i guess it was wrong from 223 am i disappointed yeah but its still a loss so i guess i better be happy about that. Im really getting a new scale this is irratating

sumisan
01-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Sumi, I was hoping I could join in on your challenge! I have a overall goal of 50 lb's to lose. But my first goal is 10%. I hope to meet this first goal by April, for no paticular reason other than it is what I have set ;) I hope I can jump in and get to know you all, I sure could use some support, I am new to dieting and I seem to be very bad at it! --Sumi

sumisan
01-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I got blood work taken from an allergist and found out that my thybroglouibin (sp?) is 117. A normal range is below 10. I'm not sure what that means. I called my doctors office and did not get a return call. I did some research on the internet and there were all kinds of possibilities from hyperthyroid to cancer. Just like someone to explain it to me.

Hi! When I was over on the low carb board there was this awesome lady called nonstickpam who knew everything there is to know about thyroid. I acually went in last june thinking I was hypo, but found out I was anemic. Which is serious too but I was hoping it would explain my weight gain. Anyway as far as the bloodwork they did (which was like pulling teeth) they didnt find didly squat for me LOL They still didn't test my free t3 and antibodies ERR (I can send you the link if you like, she can explain your bloodwork).

miafluker
01-20-2007, 05:08 PM
welcome Sumisan! everyone here are great and have lost of great info
we start a new thread every sunday I also am not all that great with dieting but from what i hear it takes 10days to turn something into a habit. I thought about low carb since im not a big bread eater either but programs like atkins is way to restrictive for me.

Is that really me
01-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Just a quickie to post that I had a great treadmill workout this a.m. 3 miles w/plenty of running. I did the 3 miles in 46 minutes -- that's 2 minutes off my normal time!! Very pleased with this little NSV. I think the cold I had that was dragging me down all week is finally on its way out. Now my husband has it. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Jo

Canuk4
01-21-2007, 01:33 AM
Stopeating, sorry I am no help is the area you need. Maybe you can try the person from the other link?

Sumisan welcome, yes we all are pretty supportive of each other and try and help if we can. I myself am having a hard time co-ordinating the exercise and dieting, I just started in Nov. I also need to lose at least 50 lbs. due to my bad knee.

Today started off great with exercising on the floor for at least 50 mins., then I was busy most of the day, with household chores, then tonight, I ate choclate, after a good meal and had a drink, I don't know what is the matter with me. Maybe it is all the health issues. Plus a small fight again with my daughter re: the date for Dad's birthday party and her's being so close. I am going to call her finance' this week and suggest he have a surprise party for her. That might get me off the hook, but I will still be the bad guy! YUM Do kids ever grow up and realize you can't please everyone all the time and who is most important in the party area, her grandfather who will be 95 or her who will be 30. I am not saying I would ecnore her birthday, I was planning a special dinner for her, but with her attitude I am finding it hard to plan anything for her. Oh well that is life.

How are you doing Jasmine, been thinking and praying for you all.
Good luck everyone for tomorrow.
Sharon

stopeating
01-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks Sumisan - I would like to try out the link.

Miafluker - A loss! Yeah!!:carrot:

Sharon - It is so frustrating when happy times turn into arguing and fights. I'm going through that right now and I feel frustrated. All you can do is your best. :)

We went to the regional awards scholarship dinner yesterday. My son did not make the next level but it was really cute. He was so nervous because there were so many people he was praying so hard that he wouldn't win because he didn't want to get in front of everyone and read his speech!

My little one has been saving money for a Nintendo Wii and a shipment arrived at the store early this morning. I got out of bed early, through on a coat, and took him to the store in the freezing cold. He is now officially the happiest little boy in Michigan!:D It was well worth it and I can hear him and his brothers laughing like crazy and getting along upstairs right now!

Okay I am going to go ride my bike for the first time in a week. We may go sledding today. Not my favorite thing because I get so cold, but we only do it two or three times and I do have fun.

sumisan
01-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks Shannon :) I am really motivated to actually get it done this time. I don't have any support at home here but I know I need it. I have this awful disease called procrastination-itis LOL

Stopeating - I sent you that link in a private message, I said it was to the last page but I think I goofed and it was the first.

I am working on my menu plan for the next week today, entering in my common recipes into recipezaar and fitday. Hopefully all this technological gizmo's will help LOL I had a great start today, hot cereal and melon! Totally filled me up and its already snack time, and I am not thinking about a snack yet. Usually by now I am into chips and crackers or chocolate. Never mind the fact that I finished off the last box we will ever bring into the house yesterday LOL and so there isnt any to eat haha :dizzy:

Have a great day everyone!!! --Sumi

Jasmine31
01-21-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102632

Okay everyone I didn't get time to read the rest of this thread but will get to it tomorrow and respond in new thread. Meanwhile I wanted to start the new one for the week! So there is the link!!! Everyone go there! No more posting in here!!

my ivy
01-23-2007, 08:03 PM
HI Guys,
What's going on how is everyone? just got beck from dr today weight 171 will try my best to loose 10lbs at least this month...I have bee working out the gym is aw-some I am gonna try YOGA and kickboxing.... I love the elliptical machine it's aw-some I hope every one is doing good been working around house washing ext. My son had the whole wrestling team over this weekend they had a ball went in pool and lake....They all call me the team mom!!! I'm happy they all like me..soon will be last match SO sad the season IS OVER NOW BASEBALL BEGINS and here comes baseball mom!!!! weeeee!!!

will post soon
take care drink plenty of water!!!!!

HI Mande!!!!!
HI Jasmine!!!!!