Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #1  
Mel

Default The Chat-Check In Thread - January 14-31 2007!

Boy have we been chatty! Fantastic Great to see sme new faces and some returning ones. Please stick around....

Cardio today for me

Mel
Old 01-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Hey all, I was away from home all day yesterday from 9-6, the bulk spent at a swim meet (ugh, right?!) Home by 7, sat around for a bit, and decided I WANTED to do cardio. An hour on the treadmill from 8:30 - 9:30 pm. It kept me up a bit later than I would have liked, but felt better for having done it. Just amazing about the desire and the realization that this was what I needed to do!

UBWO and .5 cardio for me yet tonite after dinner. Did 45m of pilates earlier today. Which I THOUGHT would be easier 25 lbs lighter, but the leg work still killed me! Shocking.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi all,

DH and I went into DC today and we walked, and we walked and we walked. We went to the national zoo and then we went out to eat. We ate a little too much (but oh so good) so we took the long way back to the metro. It was fun. I'm pooped though!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:46 PM   #4  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Yesterday I did Dave Draper's workout that I've copied below. I loved it, it was fantastic . But OMG! What a killer . I've just started back to lifting so yesterday was only the beginning of my second week. I'm sooooooooo sore today. Sore like I can hardly sit down and get up again (really hard to go to the bathroom, LOL). Tomorrow is supposed to be my lifting day so my question is: If I'm still this sore tomorrow do I lift anyway or put it off until Tuesday? Do you just push through muscle soreness or will you hurt yourself?

TIA, Beth

Dave Draper:
At this point you're warmed up. Stretched out and have a head of steam. Do a set of maximum pushups, full straight body if you're able or half bodied till you are able. Stand, 15 seconds to gain your breath, and while holding on to a stable object (bed post or table top) for balance, do full or partials lunges for maximum reps (8-12-20?) - repeat this combination after 60-90 seconds 2 times, depending on your condition. This combination of exercises works the chest, shoulder and triceps muscles followed by the thigh and glute areas. Also, high heart rate and deep breathing is maintained. Very athletic.

Now we're rolling, pumped, sweating and the heart's pounding. Let's devise a pull-up bar - something overhead is best eventually. Until constructed (sturdy, stabilized steel pipe or bar over beams in the garage or a simple commercial doorway chinning attachment), lay a bar across the backs of sturdy back-to-back kitchen chairs. Lie below the bar, reach up and grasp at a point some 6 inches wider than each shoulder. With a rigid body, pull yourself up to your chest and lower slowly for as many repetitions as possible. This all takes practice, a little improvising, some trial and error, mostly courage and will.

Follow this pull-up by standing deep breathing knee bends (free body squatting) for maximum reps. Here we have recruited biceps and back muscles, torso strength followed by full quadriceps activity. Again, continued high athletic heart and lung involvement will further conditioning.

You're done.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:28 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Count me in for a gym day meetup (yes really!) we're thinking about coming over to the US for our holiday, and I'd LOVE to come and spend a day in the gym with you girls

I had a fantabulous weekend I had a nap on Friday, basically took it easy since I felt a bit overtrained since the silly dance workout video on Tuesday then on Saturday I went to kickboxing and worked hard on my brown belt stuff and I was quite tired after that, but not passing out tired, so that was an improvement on Thursday! I went clothes shopping after that and bought 2 pairs of trousers and a couple of cute new T-shirts. One pair of trousers is slightly snug, but I LOVE them, so will be inspired not to eat all the chocolate in the fridge in order to fit into them!

Yesterday I went for an hour long massage at Bliss Spa (I think you have them in the US too...) it was incredible! My first proper massage! The guy who was doing it used to train in kickboxing and tae kwon do! He was a hunk too Then DH took me out for steak

Today I am feeling revived and will give everything 110%
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Cinnamon Girl,

Way to go!

I love your choice of routines to get back started. Short but intense. Presses, Lunges, Squats, Pulls! I love compound exercises!

As far as the soreness, this recent thread might help you:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101809
Old 01-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #7  
Mel

Morning, all! Trying to chug down some to get revved up. The rest of the household is fast asleep. I have alot of clients today(they have a day off and then my leg day :strobg:

CinnamonGirl- Great choice of workouts! I love Dave Draper's workouts. Try doing 5 minutes of bike or treadmill to loosen up and you porbably won't be so sore. Another approach is to look at some of his split workouts so thatyou are giving the major muscle groups a little longer to recover.

iamfire-HI! You're quite strong! the last time I curled 30 pound dbs I pulled a bicep tendon- quite a painful experience and I've backed waaaay off on arms! Good for you!

Hey Fru- When areyou headed this way ?
Hi Depalma!

OK, offto work....

Mel
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

We are undecided - there was talk of Easter in Chicago, BUT I would like to go to New York again. Last time we were there we got Amtrak up to Philly, so that could be easily do-able! Either that or we could stay somewhere up there We're kinda open to suggestions!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #9  
-

Thanks, Depalma, that thread was helpful. How did I miss that? I do feel a lot better today and I think I'll work through this soreness as it's not pain.

It's cold and snowy here in Minnesota so I'll have to improvise my cardio. I've walked in our house before but it sure freaks our cats out.

Have a great day everyone!
Beth
Old 01-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #10  
-

Thanks, Mel. Yeah, I've done splits before but I like doing whole body. Now that you mention it I don't remember stretching before that session. I'll make sure I do from now on. Man, lifting is so great! Today I'm going to add in Superman and the Plank. I loooooooooooooooooove Superman . I used something similar to that on a machine at the gym. I could do those for hours they're so fun and feel so good.

Beth
Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

This is my switchin-it-up week. I've reached the point with a number of my exercises where I am really not seeing progress, so I'm switching the exercises up for each muscle group. I am REALLY surprised today that I am not in pain - I totally thought my hamstrings would be killing me after my LBWO yesterday - but they are not.

Today is UBWO, if I can get to the gym. It's been ice storming since about 5 a.m. Schools & universities are closed. Luckily I live walking distance from work.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #12  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Good Morning LWL

FRU: Let us know when you are able to confirm plans for your U.S tour. Maybe DH and I could arrange a weekend getaway without our DS. I would love to meet everyone and get a workout in. I would think by Easter I should be in proper form for a little more than UBWO. But even not, I would be willing to hang out and motivate everyone else through their grueling ahem I mean instructive workouts.

Wow, all of these reported ice storms are reminding me that it is indeed January. For the past three or four days all we have had is rain. Constant drizzle without any breaks. The kids are getting antsy. DH and my mom are taking the boys to an indoor water park this afternoon. I'm going to be spending time on the couch until Tuesday. I have an MRI scheduled on Tuesday evening so anything I can do to keep that fracture from looking any worse is my main goal right now. Can anyone recommend a good movie from Blockbuster? Maybe I'll write a book...

Man, all this rain. I have got lakes forming in my backyard and DS2's Kettler Car is in the middle of one. Someone should really go out and rescue it. I don't think I have boots that go up to me knees though...Oh well.

Have a great week everyone.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #13  
aka Superwoman!

How about Million Dollar Baby? It's good for a blubber! I like that film!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #14  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Thanks Fru. I have not seen that one. I'll go check it out.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

I can't help it!!!! Every time I see your name I start getting that silly muppets song in my head... "Lydia oh lydia, oh have you met Lydia, Lydia the taaaa-aaaatooed lady...."
Closed Thread