General chatter - Any Non-drinkers here?

View Full Version : Any Non-drinkers here?

willmakeit
01-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I do not drink alcohol..not even occasionally...never! I have my own reasons and I am proud of it. My parents and sis dont either. But sometimes people make me feel as though I am not a young-hearted, cool person!!! I dont usually explain or justify anything, but say " no thanks " politely. So why do people keep bugging me for having a good habit? Recently DH had his friend over and they (the couple) just got to my nerves on this issue (ofcourse I did not say anything to them neither did I ask them not to drink). I was totally feeling "uncool" by the end of the day. I just need to vent here.

I know it may not sound like a big deal for those who drink in moderation, but while my work in an ER last year, MOST cases were a direct or indirect effect of alcoholism and I have seen families shatter and children ignored and people dying in accidents because of it... and most were normal people like you and me and ALL started casually and drinking on occasions only and did not know how it lead to such an advanced problem. And for those think their kids should get to enjoy finally when they reach "the age" should think twice and look at the parents who have lost their children to DUI! How can it be cool ever? It just messes up your cognition and loss of inhibition with even small amounts leads to promiscuity and what not...

There is even a study that shows genetic predisposition to getting addicted to alcohol being more in some people compared to others and obviously we never know of it...until we are the sufferers ourselves.

And for those who argue that red wine is good for heart...should update themselves as studies have shown that the harmful effect of alcohol on liver even in minor amounts far outweighs the benefits on heart. Also, the high sugar amount in alcohol is worth being considered.

thintowin
01-09-2007, 08:22 PM
I have quit drinking to lose weight, and man I was surprised at how quickly I lost my friends. Even after I told them that I quit drinking, they were still calling to invite me out to the bars. Now they've pretty much stopped talking to me. They all have kids and whenever they go out, they want to drink. Now, I do know that I could go out with them and not drink, but that's not any fun for me. I like to drink. I just choose not to right now.

I understand what you're going through. But you just need to stick to your guns and not let them bother you. They shouldn't be bothering you about it. If it really does bother you, just say somthing about it nicely. They should get the hint and lay off after that.

I do think that wine is good for the heart. I understand that it can damage the liver, but I think that anything in moderation is ok.

Siena1383
01-09-2007, 09:09 PM
I am pretty close to being a non-drinker. I have one drink maybe once or twice a year -- at New Year's Eve it's just customary for me to have champagne, and then I may have a drink at a wedding or something.

I don't like the taste of alcohol, and it mostly just gives me a headache. If the drink is tasty, it's usually even better tasting without the alcohol, IMO. When I'm budgeting calories, I'd rather use them on food. And while I don't disapprove of moderate drinking handled responsibly, I don't enjoy being around people after they've had a few drinks.

You're right that there's a genetic pre-disposition to alcoholism for some people, but I believe that it can be tested for. The vast majority of people who drink are not alcoholics.

The mild relaxation of inhibitions is a social lubricant, allowing people to get over their self-consciousness and criticalness and just enjoy each other. It does not automatically lead to promiscuity, even when a person gets flat-out drunk.

I sympathize with the horrible things you must have seen in the ER. I've worked in hospitals myself and have seen the waste of life that drunk driving and alcoholism can cause.

And it's a shame that your company made you feel uncool for not drinking. It's your choice. Some people just can't see the other point of view. You might have a talk with one of them before they're invited over again. Make sure they know you expect them to respect your decision. If they can't manage that, then they should not be welcome in your home.

godsgirlnmo
01-10-2007, 07:52 AM
I don't drink. It is a choice I made after realizing my now ex-husband was an alcoholic and seeing other family members battle alcohol. It has been over 15 years since I have drank and I am proud of that.

Willmakeit: Keep up the good work- don't ever let anyone look down on you for not drinking. Not only you but everyone in your family benefits from your choice not to drink

Christina7806
01-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I am 40 years old, the daughter of two alcoholics who actually owned a bar. It was my job to clean the bar. After seeing old cigarettes floating in stale beer for years on end, I made a choice to never drink or smoke. I can count only 3 times when I drank and that was when I was a teenager. I also have never even tried smoking. For those who say to me that red wine is good for your heart, I simply say "So are red grapes, grape juice, chocolate and nuts." :)

meowee
01-10-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm a non-drinker, too and I just tell people . . . "I'm a social drinker but I'm just not very sociable". If that line doesn't shut them up, next comes . . . "I won't preach to you and I'd appreciate it if you don't preach to me." Usually nobody gets insulted (maybe because they are too drunk to remember what I said). :D Stick to your principles, kiddo. :hug:

nelie
01-10-2007, 10:32 AM
When I was in college and shortly after, I would get drunk every once in a while. I enjoyed drinking, mostly because it was a very social event for me. Anyway, shortly after college, I just didn't want to drink any more so I didn't. The first few family events were difficult. I had cousins harrassing me for not drinking. I told them that I just didn't feel like it. Now its no big deal. I will drink once in a while but not enough to get drunk, which basically means 1 drink these days.

My DH is basically the same way in that he doesn't drink and if he does, it is once in a while and not enough to get drunk. He was never someone who drank to get drunk though.

Anyway, I'll have maybe 1 drink a year, same for DH and DH usually says he'll pass if he doesn't feel like having a drink and I will usually say I don't feel like it. If someone doesn't understand, then that is there problem.

simone1ca
01-10-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm a non-drinker. And VERY proud of that. Most of the people in my family are alcoholics and all my uncles on my mom's side died of alcoholism. Nobody in my immediate family drinks.

We have a lot of company functions that involve alcohol and I'm always told that "I'm no fun". If being drunk makes you fun...I'd rather stay sober. But I know how it can be..to feel excluded, uncool, unhip. Everyone's sipping the latest martini, and I've got club soda. But what makes me feel good is..I'm not the one apologizing for my behaviour the next day.

2frustrated
01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Another non-drinker over here :wave:

I made it all through the second part of 6th form and Uni not drinking. I had a good friend who drowned his sorrows in A LOT of drink and I drank a fair bit to keep him company, but after I started learning to drive, I'd rather drive than drink. I went clubbing for 2 years without drinking and no-body gave me any flack for it, I was always loud and lairy anyway, so imagine what drink would've done! :lol:

I also saw my mother drink on anti-depressants, not a pretty sight at all! How embarrassing! :o That put me off a fair bit.

Then between 6th form and Uni a very good friend of the family drove 15 miles across the moors after drinking a bottle of whisky and several beers. He passed out at the wheel and ploughed himself and his brother into a tree. Unfortunately he didn't make it but his brother was relatively unharmed.

Anyone who's narrow minded enough to try and change your opinions isn't worth partying with ;)

AquaWarlock
01-10-2007, 12:13 PM
And for those who argue that red wine is good for heart...should update themselves as studies have shown that the harmful effect of alcohol on liver even in minor amounts far outweighs the benefits on heart. Also, the high sugar amount in alcohol is worth being considered.

i'm a drinker (about 3/week), but I don't try to justify it for health reasons (as this MSNBC article shows, the science of benefit-risk and even how much to drink before the risks outweights benefits, is fuzzy: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16384904/ ), I would *like* to think that it conveys some benefits, but am not slamming down vino and shots like a madman to be living proof (heck, even just living will be debatable if I did that.)

I totally respect the decisions of non-drinkers to say 'no' ~ nor would I put them in situations where they would be surrounded for alcohol.

Fortunately, I have a passion for just home cooking & dining out in general, so my dry friends and I can share at least in a love for food, if not the wine.

rockinrobin
01-10-2007, 12:15 PM
When in high school a bunch of us cut class and spent the day hanging out by some guys house. I literally had one drink and was passed out for most of the day. I am soooo lucky that I didn't die and that I wasn't raped or molested. I've told this story to my kids many times to try to warn them about the affects of alcohol. I tell them if it could happen to me, it could happen to them. And I always play it up and make it sound so much more dramatic and so far it has worked. I have a 19 year old and a 17 year old, 15 too, but she hasn't been exposed to it yet. But my older ones have already had to deal with their friends, I should say their classmates, not necessarily their friends, and alcohol. It is really sad. I'm sure eventually they will cave in out of curiosity if nothing else, but I keep talking to them about it, I just want to hold it off for as long as possible.

For years after that incident I didn't have another drink. When I started dating my hubby, I remember going out and having a drink or 2 and getting so, so drunk and puking all over the place. Alcohol is not for me. It doesn't agree with me. I get so affected by the tiniest amount of alcohol and I don't like the out of control feeling I get from it.

Except for a few sips of wine a few times a year and it is always social - I am most definitely a non-drinker.

lizziness
01-10-2007, 09:59 PM
I will have A drink occasionally.. but I do not drink as a general rule. Don't like how I feel when I have alcohol in my system. People don't seem to understand... I tell them I got all my partying out of my system in high school and now I'm done. Some people do not get it and do not want to take no for an answer. One girl actually invited me to hang out, then decided it 'd be a girls night out and took me out and proceeded to get trashed. I was so annoyed. I don't drive, so I couldn't just go home. I had to call my hubby and have him come find me downtown. Sigh. I am too old for that kinda crap.

I think people don't tend to pressure you because they don't want to face the fact that what they are doing is unhealthy and potentially dangerous and by them turning it into "wow you're weird you don't drink" they don't have to think about themselves.

Losingme
01-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I made a very conscious decision when I was younger never ever to touch the stuff. I watched both of my brothers put my mom through a really hard time with their drinking and I remember lying awake at night waiting for my big brother to come home and wondering if he would make it home.

In any case, I don't fault people who do drink. I have friends that drink. I went to a bar with them once to see his band play with a bunch of our friends and it was soooo awkward. They keep telling me that I am so funny and that I would be even funnier drunk. I keep telling them that I would be the no self-esteem crying in my beer type of drunk. Not exactly my idea of fun. Anyway, here's to us. You're not alone here. You're not the only one.

almostheaven
01-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Well I do drink very seldomly....3 times a year at best. Only because of social occasions (like New Year's), and then it has to be extremely watered. I just can't stand the taste of alcohol. I'm the same with coffee...can't stand the taste OR smell of that garbage. So the younger crowd used to think me weird, now the older crowd does...because I won't drink coffee. LOL My response is to just make a sour face and tell them they could have mine and just leave it at that. If you really feel you need to shut them up, tell them that alcohol has an adverse reaction on you and that if they think you're uncool now, wait til you've had a few.

Bandmom1011
01-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Another non-drinker over here.

I drank very rarely when I was 21 and 22, but one bad experience when I was 22 (1993) and I swore I would never drink again. And I haven't even taken a sip since that night. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.

I don't smoke, I don't drink, but my one vice is food- and it shows. :-(

liz321
01-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I drink...I may go months and months without a drink....I may have a couple a week....I have friends and family that both drink and don't drink....no one seems to care what anyone else is doing....it would be depressing to have friends that dropped my after I stopped drinking with them....though I have never just gone out and drank to get drunk.

I hate being drunk I figured that out when I was very young....I enjoy nice dinners out and wine....I enjoy beer and natcho's with hubby once and awhile...but I have lots of fun without drinking too!

Liz

lilybelle
01-11-2007, 12:15 AM
I drink absolutely no alcohol due to my genetic liver disease. Not because I don't want to. I wouldn't want to get drunk but an occasional margarita would be nice. Oh well, I can NEVER drink. I have definitely been the designated driver on many occasions. Really driving a car load of drunks around isn't my idea of a good time. No one picks on me for not drinking, they know why I can't. But yeah, sometimes I feel like I'm just "no fun".

SlimLindy
01-11-2007, 12:21 AM
I don't drink and don't care about alcohol. DH figured out very young that he is an alcoholic (thank God, before anything really 'happened', he just knew that he never just wanted ONE beer he always wanted LOTS) so I don't drink because he can't. It doesn't bother me a bit. I don't really spend much time with people who drink excessively, although many friends and family have a glass or bottle of wine when we're out to eat. I don't care that they drink and they don't care that I don't.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in that there are MANY people who don't drink. Socially adjusted people who do drink, but don't drink excessively, usually don't care if others don't drink.

Kim_Star060404
01-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Another non-drinker here, but I'm only doing it because DH and I are TTC right now. If we weren't, we'd probably go out for drinks once every two weeks or so. Drinks for me means 2-3 beers or 1 glass of wine.

I respect people who don't drink, but also feel that, since deciding not to drink, our friends haven't treated us any differently. We are out here in cowboy land where drinking, in my opinion, is looked at in a different manner. Both DH and I grew up knowing that adults drank, but also knowing that there is a limit. I get SO frustrated with the naivete of parents who always told their kids NO and then found out (much later, most of the time) that dear little son/daughter was the drinker in their group of friends in college. I just hope that as long as we explain specifically what the ramifications are for drinking excessively, and lead by example, our kids will be able to enjoy drinking and not abuse it.

cantforgetthis
01-11-2007, 01:17 AM
I choose not to drink simply because it's empty calories that I don't want to waste. I have no emotions about that either way. While people don't hassle me and I have no problem going to a bar and ordering juice, I will step up to someone trying to leave with their keys in hand.

I drank in the past, my mother was an alcoholic, but I never felt that call. I do however have the addictive tendencies toward food. I think many of us have that personality, it's just a matter of how we act it out ie. gambling, spending, etc.

techwife
01-11-2007, 07:00 AM
I used to drink like a fish! When I was in my late teens and earlier twenties. Then, one too many hangovers ruining a weekend trip made me realize it was SO not really fun and I felt like I was poisoning myself. A friend of mine I knew when I was a teenager died of liver disease at 41...directly tied to drinking from an early age. It is, literally, poison and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, in my book.

Then there was that time when I was about 20 and I met a cute guy at a bar and gave him my business card. Next day, he came to my work to see me and I said, "ACK!! Who the heck are YOU!!" and he told me I met him the night before and to come see me. Bleh! Funny how dim lights and a few drinks clouds your judgement.

I wouldn't say I'm a NON drinker, though, but a special occasion drinker, putting a bit of Bailey's in my coffee at Christmas time or sharing a bottle of bubbly with my husband on our anniversary. I love to drink wine, but HATE the way it makes me feel...I get serious water retention from it and a massive hangover from just a glass or two. So, I skip it for the champagne...it doesn't seem to bother me.

Nowadays, nothing is more annoying to me than a room full of drunkards. Bleh. I was invited to a cocktail party last Christmas and turned it down for this reason. I have better things to do with my brain cells than 'party' with a bunch of people. I'd rather stay home and crochet and watch hockey. GO SABRES!!

Sweater Girl
01-11-2007, 08:04 AM
When I joined WW I basically stopped drinking because to me it was wasted points... I'll have the occassional drink and did get drunk once since WWabout 3 months before I got pregnant (for any runners out there it was at the Boilermaker... drinking after running isn't a great idea:P ). Since having the baby I have had 2 drinks, but that's it (one at Christmas, one at a birthday)... I am not a big drinker anyway and really don't miss or crave it...

Cheers!

Ali

Spideranne
01-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm a non-drinker too. Never had a full drink ever. Occasionally I'll try a sip of something, but everything tastes pretty bad to me. Never stopped me from going to happy hour and ordering a water. I gave up soda in high school and don't like coffee or tea, so pretty much all I drink is water. For the most part people don't make a big deal about it. Sometimes I'll get someone who thinks I must be a recovering alcoholic or something, but I don't worry about it.

Sakai
01-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm a non-drinker Never had a single drink in my life
(being only 22 so it's only been 2 years but still.. ^_^)
I don't want to drink because I know how stupid drunk people are, (when they are drunk) and I know how bad it is for you. All my family members are pretty heavy drinkers. My father and uncle can down a 30 pack between them in one night if they wanted to.

My uncle had to stop drinking due to needing liver tests now, my father cut back a lot too. (He and his brother are drinking buddies)

my mother was a party animal before she got sick, she could drink anyone under the table. Growing up around that, many people are surpised that I don't drink, or even have any desire to drink. I find the very smell of alcohol nasty. I don't see how people can really drink that stuff. Wine is the worst. My dad bought a bottle of very good wine for a party and I was tempted to take a taste but the smell of it had me gagging.

Peers ask me why I don't drink, being over 21 and all. I just say it goes against my personal morals. what is the point of getting drunk? Alchohol pops brain cells, and I need all the brain cells I can get. ^_^

Michelle
01-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I remember going to a party right out of high school, only had two beers, and I was out. I did not like that feeling, nor not knowing what could have happened to me under that condition. I have never had a drink since then, and I have nothing against people who enjoy drinking, as long as they don't drive after drinking. One of my very good friends from high school was killed by a drunk driver, and I have no tolerance for it at all.:mad:

midwife
01-11-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't drink, mainly cause I see it as a waste of my calories. I don't care for the taste much.

My m-i-l is a nondrinker and one time at a party a woman came up to her and started screaming at her that my m-i-l was not better than she was. Anyone who knows my m-i-l knows she is truly the nicest person ever, and it was quite obvious that this woman had many problems.

Personal attacks reveal much more about the attacker than the attackee.

cbmare
01-11-2007, 02:36 PM
I do drink wine. In fact, depending on what we have for dinner, I'll have a glass or 2 of wine. That is my choice.

We have guests over who do and don't drink. My feelings are that this is a personal choice. If someone is a non drinker, I try to have other things around for them to enjoy with their meals. Sometimes I'll ask that they bring something to drink if I'm unsure of what they want.

I find it deplorable to make fun of or belittle someone for chosing not to drink.

I'm a firm believer that you can be sociable and have a drink. However, if you have to have a drink to be sociable, then you have a problem. I found myself in that situation and decided to get rid of the situation. I told DH that I was not going to put myself in that situation with those people and their beliefs any longer and if he intended to keep those people in his life, then he could hurry out the door before I slammed it on him.

Needless to say, those people are no longer in our lives.

My DD and her fiance don't drink very often. When they came over for New Year's eve dinner, they asked if they could have a small amount of wine. I was happy to give them some. They each took a sip or two of their wine. That's all they wanted. That was perfectly fine with me. I was surprised they asked for some.

You keep sticking to your guns here. It's OK not to drink. Barking at someone to try and force them into having a drink is just as bad as barking at someone because they do have a drink.

FrouFrou
01-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Not really a drinker but I guess having a drink once a year or every other year makes me a drinker. I don't go to bars, etc. and I don't keep liquor in the house. But I may have a drink while eating out or on New Year's Eve or our wedding anniversary. I can honestly say though the last time I had a drink was New Year's Eve 2005.

That's terrible that someone would drop you as a friend because you don't drink. And I can only imagine the things you have seen in the ER.

melekalikimaka
01-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I consider myself a non-drinker, even on New Year's Eve I will pick the sparkling cider rather than the expensive 'fine' champagne. I am married to an alcoholic and it's no picnic. I have learned to deal with it in my own way. He comes from a family of alcoholic parents, grandparents.... and my SIL's and BIL's whether or not alcohol is their drug of choice, they have addictive tendencies with other substances. I am trying my best to educate my now 7 y.o. son on the dangers of drinking and illicit drug use so he is better equipped to make the right choices down the line. (My in-laws are a great example of what not to be like!)

I was a party-girl drinker while in high school, it seems like doing the forbidden was the only allure of it. Once I became of age and set out on my own, I didn't really feel the need. I seem to have gotten the "party" out of my system at a young age and am thankful for that. My husband is a wonderful provider, loving father and my best friend. Other than the drinking problem, I couldn't ask for a better man. If your friends drop you because you've stopped drinking, they weren't really your friends at all.

willmakeit
01-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Thank you all...Its really good to know how many of you do not drink and know how people can pressure you at times...
I wrote so much about the illeffects of drinking...may be because I wanted to tell all these things to DH's friends and didnt! I do not care if they like to drink or not...its their choice and what I do is my choice.

I felt extremely bad (almost like highschool pressure)! and I really dont want to meet them again because I know they are going to laugh behind my back and make fun of me for this! But like of you said above,"ITS THEIR PROBLEM"!!!

You're right that there's a genetic pre-disposition to alcoholism for some people, but I believe that it can be tested for. The vast majority of people who drink are not alcoholics.

The tests are called genomics test and are very very expensive and are never done routinely (so in the current day and age, I think these tests are as good as non-existant)

It is also worth noting that the number 1 cause of all psychiatric illnesses and number 1 cause of all ER admissions are alcohol!
number 1 cause of all domestic/spousal/child abuse is alcohol!
number 1 cause of all road traffic accidents is alcohol!
number 1 cause of all liver diseases (fatty liver and cirrhosis) is alcohol!

EZMONEY
01-11-2007, 11:19 PM
:congrat: :cheer: :congrat: TO ALL OF YOU THAT DON'T :cheers: DRINK OR WHEN YOU DO DRINK THAT YOU DRINK RESPONSIBLY!

MY DAD WAS AN ALCOHOLIC, BUT FORTUNATELY FOR ME, HE DIDN'T START DRINKING (OTHER THAN AN OCCASIONAL BEER) UNTIL I WAS 18 AND ALMOST OUT OF THE HOUSE. I WON'T BORE YOU WITH DETAILS BUT HE BECAME A REAL PAIN IN THE @$$ FOR OUR FAMILY.

I DRANK WHEN I WAS YOUNGER, QUIT FOR 18 YEARS, THEN STARTED ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO DRINKING BEER. IT COULD BE BECOMING A PROBLEM FOR ME....

OH, IF I HAVE ONE OR TWO A NIGHT NO BIG DEAL...HECK EVEN THREE...IT'S WHEN I HAVE FLOOR OR FLIVE...OR EVEN SLIX OR SLEBEN LHAT'S THE PLOBLEM....

I, PERSONALLY, DON'T THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM ;) PRETTY SURE ANGIE THINKS DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE....EVER!..don't go out much these days...:o

GOD BLESS THOSE OF YOU WITH BETTER SENSE THAN ME!!

alinnell
01-11-2007, 11:56 PM
I drink, but not to excess. I hate a hangover.

I do love a good glass of red wine, however. It is my weakness. One glass can lead to two or three....thankfully there are only 4 in a bottle! But I have sworn off red wine until I reach my goal.

BerkshireGrl
01-13-2007, 06:15 PM
I drink myself, sometimes too much... but I would never push alcohol on anyone or make them feel bad for not drinking. If I have a party, I make sure there are tempting non-alcoholic drinks available :)

I didn't really drink in college, a few times socially, once way too much at a party held soon after a 2-year relationship break-up. I didn't really like the taste of it, would have sweet drinks only, except for that party in which I drank 8 big Mexican martini glasses of vodka in about an hour. You could deduce that after my party experience, I did not drink for several years. In fact, the smell of hard liquor made me nauseous.

However, I come from an alcoholic family on my mom's side, and I can definitely see the tendency now in myself. When depressed or stressed, I am very tempted to drink... after I began "self-medicating" with it in 2002. Went through a rough patch where I was really affected by drinking, and I think my job was in jeopardy due to my time out from work.

Now I think I am getting a handle on it. But I'm not over the fence quite yet.

I toy with the idea of joining an AA group or one like it (Women for Sobriety, Inc. maybe). I once went on Antabuse but found it a very scary drug, and it hurt my liver more than my wine drinking did, if liver enzymes tests were correct.

Then on other days, I think I'm not that bad and don't need it. I keep an eye on my use these days and am evaluating it constantly. This alone makes me wonder if maybe I do need to join something...

But, I have run into pressure to drink from my dad's sister and her acquaintances. My friends, no. But then I carefully choose my friends and not so much the family and acquaintances ;) Especially from the habitual drinkers or those who equate a social get-together with drinking. (Like it's not a real good time unless there is alcohol being poured.)

I admire the strength of alcoholics who maintain sobriety and also found myself proud of not drinking on Antabuse. Now that I think about it, that 1 month was probably the only one since late 2002 that I did not drink. I remember thinking, wow, my recycling sure has shrunk these days. It was nice to not see piles of wine bottles in the bin.

Hmmm.... :chin: Looks like I should really look into this group thing ;)

Any women out there with experience with "Women for Sobriety"? (Please feel free to PM me if you prefer not to post.)

jillybean720
01-13-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't drink, and it's SO nice to be in company (on here, anyway) of others who don't as well!

I had a total of 1 alcoholic beverage before going to college--I was always such a "good girl" that I couldn't handle the idea of drinking in high school for fear that my parents would kill me. The down side of living in a small town is that everyone knows everyone else, and my parents surely would have found out if I'd ever done anything wrong :dizzy:

And so, like most "good girls," I went crazy when I went away to college. I was still a good girl, don't get me wrong--ended up graduating a semester early, having a great internship, and making Dean's List a couple semesters--but alcohol entered my life with a bang. I would go out partying and drinking maybe twice a month or so for the first couple years. Then I moved off campus and started working at Ruby Tuesday--now, anyone who's ever worked in a restaurant knows that after a long, stressful shift, the first reaction is to relax with a drink and unwind with friends. Being in a college town, most of the other servers and I lived close together, so it eventually became an automatic "who's house are we drinking at tonight?" It wasn't a question of if we would drink, just where:dizzy:

So yeah...my last semester-and-a-half of college, I spent probably 4-5 nights a week completely trashed. I was "lucky" in that I never had a real hangover--after a long night of drinking, I would just sleep for a few hours and then get up bright and early and be magically bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (a feature my friends envied). I never learned my lesson by having headaches or long, close relationships with a toilet--it just never happened to me. I would be so drunk I wouldn't remember everything that happened the night before, but somehow, my body was physically okay with that.

But I did do some things I regretted while being drunk, and after I left college, I just stopped drinking. I didn't need it, and I didn't need to deal with the things it sometimes made me say/do. Nowadays, I'm the freak because I'm 24 and living in a major metro area, and it seems I have some sort of disease because i don't drink or smoke at all--it's a great social life killer, but it's worth it for me. If I hadn't stopped when I did, I could see it becoming a VERY serious problem in my future.

brandnewme
01-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Not a drinker here either. I've never been drunk in my life and I never intend to. I do drink on very rare occasions, but DH and I find less and less occasions to drink! For the first time ever, a year ago we bought some beer for DH and "froo-froo" drinks, as he calls them, for me. All of both are still unopened, sitting in the pantry. They never even made it to the fridge.

My dad is an alcoholic. I'm amazed his liver hasn't keeled over and called it quits. About 10 years ago, he stopped drinking not because he wanted to, but because he had to. He lost the use of his arm, and the combination of the pain killers and other medications with the alcohol probably would have killed him had he continued to drink much longer. Now, he drinks maybe one beer a week, and never alone because that's the family rule. Before, he was in a constant alcohol-induced haze that nearly tore our family apart. Now he's actually a decent guy to be around and nothing like he used to be.

Tara D
01-14-2007, 09:39 PM
I have only tasted a sip of alcohol a couple of times in my life, and I'm 30. Just don't like the taste of the stuff. I'm always amazed that people are so interested in the fact that I don't drink. When they find out, they ask a lot of questions like I'm doing something that needs defending. To me there is no difference between not liking alcohol and someone else not liking orange soda, sardines, or anything else.

Even if I did like the taste, I don't think I would start drinking now that I know more. Frist of all, the nutritional information is atrocious...just not worth it to me (even with red wine supposed have some good things). Also, I think that a lot of negative things have come out of alcohol use, and I want no part of that. I also hate hanging around tipsy people...soooo annoying!

I think family is one of the biggest influences...in my family, drinking often is not considered a normal thing. My dad used to have a beer after work until I was about 9 or so, but then he quit. My mother and brothers don't drink either. There was no alcohol at my cousin's wedding. I didn't grow up around alcohol, so I never considered it as something I needed in my life. I thank God that my parents didn't bring alcohol into my home because my brother has had some personal issues, and if he had ever started drinking, I think things could have turned out much worse.

Dragonfly7
01-14-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm only 20 and I personally don't drink. Even though I'm not old enough, I have friends that are my age and a little younger who drink like crazy and party all night long. I also have my reasons and feelings for not drinking, but like you I get picked on for being a "goody girl" or a "party pooper" which I know they are only teasing but still I know they are wanting me to pick up a bottle of beer and drink with them all night long. Sure I love to have fun, but I just think you can have a good time without drinking as well. I wish people would just respect how others feel about things and not always judge for the sake of it. I don't drink but I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you are under control and know how to not abuse it. I've never been drunk and I'm proud of that, I really don't even want to be in a situation where I am NOT in control of what I'm doing. Not only because of my own safety but I could not live with myself if I got inside a vehicle without my full attention and end up injuring or killing an innocent person. That just isn't worth it.

shelby897
01-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Willmakeit -- As a social drinker (much less of one since I had kids!!, okay maybe twice a year), I was also quite the drinker when I was younger. Maybe you should remind these jerks about the time they 1. got so sick from drinking, 2. can't remember doing something stupid, 3. felt like crap the next day, 4. spent a ton of money on drinks when they were out, 5. alienated a very good friend because of stupid drunk behavior, etc. I'm sure most people have done any number of regretable things while drinking and just point out you prefer to enjoy yourself, be witty, etc. and still be able to get up in the morning without regrets, apologizes or headaches!!

SheisLegend
01-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm 20 years old, and I don't drink. I have plenty of chances to drink, but I don't want to. I don't see a reason to drink. I don't like alcohol at all. Most of my friends drink, but they still invite me to go out all of the time..I don't mind being the only one not drinking. Sometimes its better just to sit back and watch everyone else.

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-16-2007, 12:09 AM
I drink very occasionally, and very rarely a complete drink. My husband and I went out a few months ago and I got a draft Guinness, which I just love (it's nasty from a bottle, though!) and I didn't drink even half of it. Beer, oddly enough, is a galactagogue, but overall I'd much rather have oatmeal. ;)

I have never been drunk, nor had the slightest desire to be. Partly this is because of growing up around a bunch of alcoholics who routinely drank a six-pack to start off the weekend, and seeing what utter asses they made out of themselves...But mostly it is because I am a control freak. I had serious psychological issues even getting the spinal anesthesia for my c-sections, I'm not going to voluntarily give up control over myself like I know happens when you get drunk.

almostheaven
01-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I have only tasted a sip of alcohol a couple of times in my life, and I'm 30. Just don't like the taste of the stuff. I'm always amazed that people are so interested in the fact that I don't drink. When they find out, they ask a lot of questions like I'm doing something that needs defending. To me there is no difference between not liking alcohol and someone else not liking orange soda, sardines, or anything else.
You know I feel the same about alcohol AND coffee. I can't stand the taste of either. Can't even stomach the SMELL of coffee. People think I'm weird because I don't like coffee, since it's just assumed that EVERYONE likes coffee. LOL

jillybean720
01-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Can't even stomach the SMELL of coffee. People think I'm weird because I don't like coffee, since it's just assumed that EVERYONE likes coffee. LOL
I am the same way with coffee--when I tell people I don't like coffe or tea, they look at me like I have 6 heads :p I can't count the number of times people have told me that coffee is an "acquired taste" (I've gotten the same response when I say I don't like beer), but if I don't like something the first time I try it, why would I keep forcing myself to have it until I like it? :dizzy:

Kate109
01-16-2007, 11:23 AM
And another non- drinker over here :wave: I am alcoholic and I am sober since October 2003. I was (I am) very lucky to realize that alcohol is a huge problem for me when I was very young- I stopped with 23 years. But I had to learn it the hard way....

Maybe itīs becaue I am european and live in Europe, but I received a few bad comments because I am not drinking alcohol (and I donīt eat food with alcohol, I am very careful with that).
But I learned that it is always the people who are drinking too much alcohol themselves who have a problem with someone drinking juice...

Kate

nelie
01-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I'll be another one that doesn't understand the attraction of coffee. I like tea but coffee is not very good :) I've even had what people consider "very good" coffee and I can't really tell the difference. I've drank coffee before but mostly because I needed the caffeine and certainly not for the taste.

BarrieMomof2
01-16-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't touch alcohol any more. It has caused me alot of problems.
In July 2000, I was coming home on a Friday night of a long weekend. I was no more than 8 minutes from home and I was hit HEAD ON by a drunk driver.

My car was totaled but thats nothing. I spent a week in hospital. I had to have surgery to put my hip back into place. And then went through another 9 months of physical therapy to be able to walk properly.

I don't have any problem with those that choose to drink provided that they do it responsibly.
The worse part is that this guy that hit me, it was his 3rd drunk driving conviction....he had a suspended license and was wanted that night for domestic violence on his girlfriend. Turns out he beat up his girlfriend, took her car and went to the bar, got drunk and hit me on the way home. :devil:

But the good thing is that I met my husband while I was off work. I had met up with a friend after physio one day and met him! :)

ennay
01-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Beer, oddly enough, is a galactagogue, but overall I'd much rather have oatmeal. ;).

It's the brewers yeast..guinness is a galactagogue as are most microbrews, but the p*ss water that most american breweries pass off as "beer" aren't, they've been pasteurized and filtered and the yeast is dead dead dead.

I dont know if I would even qualify as a "social" drinker, because I dont drink at parties or social events, I will have an occasional (only if they have a dark beer on a nitro tap) beer with dinner. I am an extreme beer snob, IF I drink it has to be high quality and for the taste, After 1/2 beer, the taste becomes less relevant, so why have more?

melekalikimaka
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Barrie, thank God you're alive and well. That is a horrendous story. :hug:

I know nothing of microbrews and am pretty ignorant on the subject of beer, but I love me some coffee :coffee: :hyper:

BerkshireGrl
01-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Barrie, WOW! What a horrible thing to endure... you must be a very strong person. I'm glad you met your hubby though!

Coffee vs. tea; if I have to drink it straight, I'll take tea, but I prefer the coffee power caffeine hook-up most days ;) I doubt I will ever master drinking coffee black. UGH. But a latte, well, that's a different story for this wussy chick. :T

Favorite tea = definitely Earl Grey. Mmm... :coffee: When my mom was out working some nights, my dad would make me and my sister tea with milk and sugar, to go with our omelettes or mac-n-cheese heh! To make it a healthy meal, we'd get a tablespoon or so of vegetables to be able to say we ate some if we had to give a mom report :lol: Somehow I never got scurvy or beriberi, and I managed to grow pretty tall (5'8") heh!

almostheaven
01-16-2007, 10:18 PM
but if I don't like something the first time I try it, why would I keep forcing myself to have it until I like it? :dizzy:
LOL! That's kinda what I've asked my mom everytime she pushes me to try Blue Cheese over and over again. She said it grows on you, but why the heck would someone keep eating something that grows on them just to see if it will grow??? Now I kinda did that with yogurt. I kept sampling different brands to find one I could stand, but only because yogurt is GOOD for you and I was trying to change my eating habits. Well, in the process of looking for a brand I could stand, it "grew" on me. I like all yogurts now. But I wouldn't have been trying them just to get used to them, that was just a side effect of trying to find a good one. LOL

My daughter tried to get me to taste her "latte" the other day. Me: "I don't drink coffee...you know that." Her: "This is latte." Me: "Yeah...fancy name for coffee. It's STILL coffee!" Her: "This is better than coffee." Me: "Get that coffee outta my face or I gonna pour it over youse head." :D