Old 01-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #1  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

S/C/G: 200.2/172/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Ideas for a snacky party menu?

Weird title, I know, but I didn't know what else to call it.

In a few weeks, I'll be hosting a jewelry party at my house (think Tupperware party, but with jewelry), and need to come up with an array of snack-type foods to serve. I've looked through the recipes in our snacks/appetizers thread, and found a few I might include, but wanted to get your input on what's worked for you in these situations. The show will be at 7pm, so I know there will be a couple of people who haven't yet had dinner, so I'd like to serve a wide enough variety for someone to count it as dinner if they need to. (and not just open a package of Chips Ahoy and be done with it, heh.)

Donisha suggested the 7-layer dip, and I was also thinking of the lemon-lime fruit dip that Pearl posted (instead of making fruit kabobs, I'd just put fruit on a plate), but what else?

Thoughts, anyone? What's really yummy enough (and it needs to be easy to make) to serve people who don't need/want to eat as healthily as we do?
hdsqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #2  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

certainly not on plan but an easy snack that everyone at works loves is mini pigs in a blanket. I use lil'smokies and can biscuits--quarter the biscuit, flatten it out, wrap around smokie and bake. Can have hot mustard or BBQ to dip. Another that I use a lot is the cream cheese brick, pour Pick-a-Peppa sauce over it and serve with Ritz. It looks terrible to me (like a spanish mole sauce) but it's really good--spicy.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #3  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

I'd forgotten all about the pigs in a blanket. You're right...very good. (I wonder if I even want the temptation around...I'd SO dive into a bowl of those!)

Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Striped Pesto Dip -
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
6 tablespoons pesto
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts

1. In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, sour cream and Parmesan cheese.
2. In a small clear glass serving dish, spread 1/3 the cream cheese mixture. Top with 2 tablespoons pesto. Repeat layering, ending with a topping of pesto. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve.

I get a baguette from the bakery, slice it thin and broil the slices so they become crisp on each side (this is called "crostini"). Spread the pesto dip on the crostini.

Also, get the little french toasts that are about 1x1 each. They come in a box usually in the bread aisle. Put a block of cream cheese on a platter and take some jalapeno pepper jelly and pour it over the cream cheese and serve. You can warm the jelly a tiny bit to thin it out.

I have a recipe for parmesan spinach balls if you want it.

Make a spinach dip.

Slice Kielbasa in thin coins and broil. Serve with a dipping sauce of equal parts apricot preserves and dijon mustard.

Reuben Bites: Flaky Reuben Bites

Prep Time: 25 min Makes: 24 servings Nutrition Information
Turn Reuben sandwich ingredients into a tasty appetizer when you bake classic ingredients in Pillsbury® Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Roll dough and serve in bite-size pieces.

Rolls1(8-oz.) can Pillsbury® Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls1/4lb. thinly sliced corned beef2oz. (1/2 cup) finely shredded Swiss cheese1/3cup well-drained sauerkrautDipping Sauce1/2cup purchased Thousand Island salad dressing1tablespoon milk

1 . Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll dough into 2 long rectangles. Press each to form 12-inch-long rectangle; press perforations to seal.2 . Layer half of corned beef on each dough rectangle, cutting to fit if necessary. Top each with cheese and sauerkraut. Starting at long side, roll up each tightly; seal long edges. Place, seam side down, on ungreased cookie sheet; tuck edges under.3 . Bake at 375°F. for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.4 . Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine dipping sauce ingredients; mix well.5 . To serve, cut warm rolls into 1-inch slices; place on serving platter. Serve with dipping sauce.

OK... I've shared some of my secrets. I know they're not OP, but you can always supplement with a veggie tray and the fruit. You don't have to eat the stuff. You can always eat a veggie burger while you prepare the other stuff. Let me know if you want any more ideas.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #5  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

Oh wow...I've never tried any of those ideas! New stuff, yay! Thanks, Cassi!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #6  
FBD/8-18-08

What about chicken salad/tuna salad (made with lite mayo of course!) and assorted crackers?
There are LOTS of cheese fondue recipes for the crockpot or just on the stove if you don't have a fondue pot. Serve with veggies and cubed bread.
If you want a no fail dessert... I take sliced pound cake and brush with melted butter or spray with ICBINB spray... and grill or broil. The day before, I cook (saute) sliced apples with cinnamon and splenda.
After the pound cake is browned, top with warm cooked apples and you can always have some ice cream or cool whip to top it off. (The apples make your house smell so inviting and "homey!) So easy and so homemade! (sort of!)
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #7  
LAWL Salt Police

For the pigs in a blanket, you might compare the canned biscuits to puff pastry as far as fat, calories and sodium (not that we're allowed to eat little smokies! )

I used the pastry for "mini cheeseburger puffs" for our Christmas party and they were a big hit..

You'd basically prep them the same way as you would with the biscuit, but make sure you roll them a bit flatter to avoid having them puff too much.. Plus, using the pastry will make them taste much lighter, letting your guests eat more and leaving less for you to be tempted by!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #8  
LAWL Member

S/C/G: 214/178/150

Height: 5'1"

rye bread and dill dip

stuffed pasta shells

pinwheels (tortiilas, ff cream cheese, red peppers, green onions, turkey breast deli sliced, etc. roll up and cut into finger foods)

fruit dip FF cream cheese splenda and a dab of skim milk...blend and yummy
if you slice bananas width wise and leave the peel on they will not turn brown

like pearl said..chicken salad or tuna salad always goes over well and you can serve it with anything..crackers melba toast deli rolls what ever! or it can be used on a tray with carrot and celery sticks.

another option is a potato soup or a chili for those who need something more substantial than finger foods. Chili can be frozen afterwards for a quick dinner later. And you can make it OP without anyone thinking a thing of it.

or you could do a bbq pulled chicken and serve with dollar rolls. I love this. I make it for a lot of our ladies meetings and it is always appreciated. This is OP also.
MickeySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #9  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

Mmm....such great ideas! Thank you SOOO much!!