Support Groups - In search of teachers losing weight!

Chestnutlass
01-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone!

I am 24 and a 3rd year teacher. I am currently teaching 4th grade. I love my job, but it can make weight loss hard. I seem to work a lot of hours (grading paper and lesson plans take forever!!!) and eating healthy is also a challange. My kids are always bringing me "treats" and the faculty room!! Yikes there is always something delicious!

Just looking for some tips and maybe some buddies that can help in the very special place of teaching!

babybelly
01-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi my name is Angela and I have mia for a couple of months. We used to have a very active teacher thread but since October it has really died. I am also a 4th grade teacher. I had a baby in June and lost all of my baby weight right away but I still have some weight I need to lose. I did really well for a while but when I returned to school I put several pounds back on. Now that the holidays are over I really need to get busy losing again. I will try to stay active again and hopefully some of the other teachers will start posting again.

Mami
01-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Maybe you can start a weightloss group with some of the other school employees. Perhaps meet once a week for an hour. This way you'll have support when going into the lounge so you'll avoid the snacks. I wish the girls around my job wanted to do this, I had hinted but no biters!

sooooperbizee
01-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Howdy! I'm a 4th year teacher, teaching 3rd grade!
I started sort of reducing my sugar intake mid-Nov., but got really serious Dec. 6th. I'm down 15 pounds so far.

It's funny, because people laugh at me at school because when I need to make copies, I carry each page to the copy machine one at a time, make that copy, then walk all the way back to my room for the next page. Hey, whatever it takes, right?

I also quit eating school lunches, even though I LOVE our cooks and their great food!

I hate sitting at my desk and really want to get away from it, but it's hard. If you've got other tips, share!!

Jennifer

Chestnutlass
01-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Hey Babybelly I was here about a year ago and remember the thread...where did it go! Lets bring it back shall we!

Mami- interesting idea, a couple go to WW together but they go on a day I have grad school, and I don't have the extra bucks anyway.

Jennifer I love the idea of getting in some walking. I have a pedometer maybe I should wear it and start pacing when I teach :-)

I decided the best way to start at school was to increase my water intake. I fill a 1 liter bottle of water and try to drink it before lunch (I start at home in the am) and fill it again at lunch and finish it by the end of the day. Now it is just a matter of scheduling the pee break!

Good luck Mari

MelodyAM75
01-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi teachers! I am a Special Education inclusion teacher for grade K-3 in Mississippi. I managed to lose about 30 pounds last year...some on my own and some at Weight Watchers. Now, I am following Dr. Oz's You On a Diet plan. I have lost almost 10 pounds so far. I have been trying to eat low-fat and low-sugar and less processed. Also, I have been walking thrity minutes every day...no excuses and doing upper and lower body strength training everyday (I rotate upper and lower each day so that I only do one or the other).

I have lost nearly 10 pounds since January 1st and my husband has lost almost 15 so far. The plan is not hard to follow. We are not hungry and we are more energetic.

I hope to hear more from you guys soon.

KCWMU
01-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi! I'm a 2nd year teacher, teaching High School Computers. I've been pretty good about bringing lunches. I either bring in a lean cuisine pizza, or some cottage cheese and popcorn. Whats hard for me is that I don't have a ton of energy when I leave school for the day, so working out and making a healthy dinner isn't always on my mind. I tend to stop and buy food on the way home, and sit and grade papers and plan lessons all night. I tried hard over break to accomplish one feat, which is working out every day, and I'm trying to not eat out as much as well. So we'll see how things go now being back in school, and also taking a masters class msyelf. Wish me luck!

Aubrey

Chestnutlass
01-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Welcome Melody and Aubrey!

I am really trying to get the teacher thread going! Only fellow teachers really undersand the exhaustion surrounding teaching.

Melody- would be really curious to hear about YOU..I watched some of it on discovery health and am curious how your finding it!

Aubrey- I totally am with you on the exhaustion. I am teaching, taking two grad school classes and tutor some on the side as well. I try to cook and plan over the weekend so that when I get home I can get in a quick workout and something quick to eat.

Hope everyone is having a really good day!

Mari

sooooperbizee
01-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Mari-Thanks for starting this thread! 2 L of water a day? Pee breaks would be when?? I guess that's why we have "teacher bladders" LOL

Angela-Congrats on the baby and losing the baby weight! Go you!

Mami-Just do it! You've lost already, way to go!

Melody-You have more energy than I do girl! I'm doing good if I work out 3 times a week. Keep it up!

Aubrey-Computers, that would be such a great challenge. I'm in an eMints room (11 computers in the room and a SmartBoard) and it's grustrating when they don't work but a blessing when they do. Keep losing, youa re going to do it!

Have a horrible cold, couldn't eat yesterday at all, made myself eat an apple for dinner. Had to go today to have blood work done to recheck thyroid, so hopefully that will go well.

Have a terrific Thursday ya'll!

Jennifer

MelodyAM75
01-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Mari,

I really like the You Plan. Really it's not a diet, but how you should eat and exercise for the rest of your life. I have yo-yoed since I was about 11 so I need to make a change for good. You can visit www.youonadiet.com website and read the 60 Second Summary of the book for the gist of the program. The plan encourages people to eat basically the same things for breakfast and lunch everyday so you can avoid overeating when you have too many choices. Then, you also try to cut out sugar, partially-hydrogenated oils, transfats, etc. Basically you cut out the junk. Then you eat lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats. It's a practical and healthy plan. Also, the book says to walk 30 minutes a day...no excuses and do strength training at least 3 times per week.

mykidsmom66
01-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Wow...a weight control support group for teachers. I am a fourth grade teacher who is thinking about making a change to high school. I am also a mom of two kids, ages 14 and 11. I am so glad to be in a group with women who understand the hardships of losing weight.

Hugs,
Rhonda

peaceful
01-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I start student teaching next week...does that count?

Chestnutlass
01-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Welcome Rhonda! ;)

Yes Peaceful it absolutely counts! You will soon learn the "dis"pleasures of birthday cupcakes, faculty room snacks and a severe lack of pee breaks! :o

Melody-sounds really interesting I may have to check it out. The "more energy" thing has definately piqued my interest!:carrot:

Jennifer- hope your feeling better! :hug:

I am having a really good week. I have gotten most of my water in each day. Have stayed pretty true to my calories and have managed to do at least 30 minutes of exercise everyday!

Now the hard part....the weekend :devil: and it is a three day weekend! Yikes....I will try try try!

Mari

MelodyAM75
01-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Mari,

I know what you mean about the weekends...too much time to think about eating... Weekends are the hardest time for me, too. We have a 3-day weekend as well. I have a lot of fruit and salad in the refrigerator so hopefully I will reach for that stuff first. Maybe I will even do some extra exercise.

babybelly
01-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Hey ladies!! I promised I would not stay away for too long. I have had a stressful few days at school. Grades due, evaluation, and now 3 major sets of paperwork are due. Ughh...I have homework!! The weather is really warm out right now and I should go for a walk but my ds is sick so I really should keep him inside.

I really need to get to drinking more water. I am breastfeeding and it seems like every drop goes there instead of filling my tummy.

Melody you have been such a good girl! I remember when you were so excited about joining WW. Good for you for sticking with it and look at all those pounds gone. Does Dr. Oz's book have sample menu's? Dh and I really are trying to cook healthy meals and doing pretty good but we seem to get stuck with the same meals over and over or meals that need to be grilled and who wants to do that all winter. Plus, Dh is picky! Melody can you believe all of these new faces! It is so great this thread is alive again. I was sad when the last one died but I wasn't doing my part to keep it active either.

sooooperbizee
01-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Hello ladies! What a day! Big weather system moving in and the kids were NUTS!! Plus they had inside recess and an ice cream social at the end of the day! And, we have school Monday due to snow days in December.

So, to all of you who have Monday off, enjoy it for me!

MelodyAM75
01-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Here's my Week 2 Results... (You On A Diet Plan)

1/1/07 Weight - 234.6
1/7/07 Weight - 229.8 (lost 4.8 pounds)
1/14/08 Weight - 224.6 (lost 5.2 this week and lost 10 total since 1/1/07)
TOTAL LOST SINCE LAST JANUARY 1, 2006 is 41.4 pounds

1/1/07 Waist Measurement - 43
1/7/07 Waist Measurement - 41.5 (lost 1.5 inches)
1/14/07 Waist Measurement - 39.5 (lost 1 inch this week, 2.5 inches total)

What I did this week...
*Walked 30 minutes every day (about 1.2 miles each day)
*Alternated upper and lower body workout everyday (about 30 minutes each day)
*Ate 3 meals and 2 snacks which were low in fat and sugar

Nago7557
01-14-2007, 09:34 AM
I teach middle school for kids with mild mental ******ation. Middle schoolers are tough and stressful--add to that the fact that it is difficult for them to understand reason sometimes--and it can be very frustrating. Frustration leads to the need to satisfy my inner calm and I used to reach for food. But now I'm back on WW for the 3rd time. I joined in 2000 and lost 40 lbs, which I kept off for 3years, til I joined again and lost 35 lbs. I am a lifetime member because the first time I maintained my goal weight for 6 weeks. But then they make you pay again if you go over that weight, so I quit going and over the next years, I gained much of it back.

So here I go again. This time I raised my goal weight because I am almost 50yrs old and I was dreaming of a 30 year old weight. That's why I couldn't maintain. I love the support of WW meetings. I love the accountability too. I go with my neighbor and walking buddy, so I have that added support. Our leader recommended this site.

As far as the snacks in the workroom, I always felt the need to sample. I figured since teachers get paid so little and rarely get a minute away from work during the 8hrs. straight we work without breaks, we deserve this free food. But my WW leader gave me this mantra--JUST BECAUSE IT'S AVAILABLE DOESN'T MEAN IT'S BENEFICIAL.

Last week I tried it and it worked. I looked at the snacks on the table and said the mantra and my intelligent self knew I was right. It was not beneficial. Try that mantra.

Glad to be here to talk with teachers.

Chestnutlass
01-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Welcome Nago!

Melody your doing amazing! Keep up the great work!

Super Busy- Too bad about the weather...I could actually go for a little snow, we haven't had any yet! I did enjoy my monday

Baby belly- Water is so important! But just think, even though breast feeding is taking the water, it is taking calories too!

My three day weekend went pretty well. Weekends have always been hard for me. Friday we order lunch at school, instead of having a big hogie with chips I ordered a scoop of chicken salad on a bed of lettuce. My friends and I went to TGIFridays I split an appetizer with 2 people and split a dessert with 3 people and ate a salad. I had one light beer and several glasses of water. Normally I would have eaten an appetizer, dinner and dessert all to myself.
Saturday Sunday and Monday I ate pretty well. But I managed to so some exercise everyday! I normally don't do any on the weekend!

So although I was far from "perfect and on plan" I was a VAST improvement on myself!

Hope that everyone is having a great week! Its a 4 day week! (at least for most of us!)

Mari

Chestnutlass
01-18-2007, 09:34 AM
bump!

sooooperbizee
01-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi! I'm back! Five days without electricity! It was cold and dark. :-( And more snow is headed this way 2 times in the next week.

We are having a training day tomorrow, usually a day of constant snacking, but I've got willpower, (don't I?)! LOL I'll let you know how it goes. Tomorrow morning is weigh in too, we'll see how that goes! I'm a little worried, we snacked a lot during the power outage.

Have a super Friday!

babybelly
01-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Sooooper - Wow! 5 days w/o electricity in the winter is rough. I had to do after Hurrican Rita passed over us last year but we sure weren't cold. Glad you have your power back.

Last week was awful!!! I only worked 2 days and you all know how much work it is to have sub plans ready. Both my boys were sick and hubby too. We stayed in all weekend and recouped. Hopefully, we are all on the road to recovery. The one I was most worried about is my baby, he is only 7 months old and ran a fever for 5 days. He is still not eating :( But all my late nights and rocking a sick baby help me to shed a few pounds :)

Here is to hoping that this week will be better. I am cooking Tortellini Soup tonight. Light and Yummy!

sooooperbizee
01-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Hey ya'll! Guess what, I hit the -20 lb. mark today!!! Could not be more excited!

I only have 2 1/2 days with my kids this week due to my son having the flu and some training we are doing. So, babybelly, I know how ya' feel! How was the Soup?

Mari, Way to Go on the TGIFriday's! I don't know if I could have been as good!

Nago, Keep losing, keep chanting! Just because it's there doesn't mean it's good!

Melody, I'm sooo impressed with your willpower! You GO girl!

Pray for no flu spreading!

babybelly
01-23-2007, 04:14 PM
The soup was great! And it is really easy to make.

My jaw is killing me. I have sinus pressure and there really isn't anything I can take except Tylenol since I am breastfeeding. Hopefully it won't get any worse. Dh is going out of town Fri-Mon and taking my 4 year old. This is only the 2nd time he has done this and I still get very sad. My baby will keep me busy though.

I am having one of those weeks that is just seems to fly by and nothing really has been done. Today half my class was out for some random national testing and then we had a recess meeting.

How is everyone else's week going?

Chestnutlass
01-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Hey everyone. Over all doing pretty good. I have really made an effort to exercise every day, but I took two days off this week due to a very sore leg. I feel much better and have been doing well. I have been having a "hungry week" and still feel like I eat more than I should. But I lost two pounds last week so I must be doing okay.

School is going well. It is report card week. I hate report card week. So much to do and so little time to do it! I think we should get a prep day with a sub to do report cards! Wouldn't that be nice :-D

Congrats Super busy- 20 lbs is WONDERFUL!

Baby belly- I hope that your family AND YOU are feeling much better. Remember your health is important too!!

Keep up the good work everyone!

babybelly
02-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Where did all my chicas go???

This week I had a yippy moment. Wed was awful! My students go in trouble all week long. In the library, computer lab, science lab, music, the hallway, in the classroom and I was tired of being grumpy because of my students behavior and it wasn't working anyway. Soooooo, I changed what I was doing. I started passing out "good News Tickets". Everytime I catch them doing something good, on task I give them a ticket. At the end of the day (which is normally chaos) if the class is quiet and in their seats I will pull names and they draw from the treat box. Wow!!! The difference is amazing! They are actually working for me! I love my class again.

And I lost another pound this week! Yay!!!

sooooperbizee
02-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Happy Sunday! Sorry I disappeared for a while, things are crazy here. We are all finally over the flu. I started Effexor last week, so that may interfere with my weight loss, but so far, I'm still moving down! My husband's unit in Iraq lost a couple of men in a recent helicopter crash, so life is stressful. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I can keep on with my progress.

Babybelly-Glad to hear you love your class again. It makes life so much easier! And WTG on the pound lost!

Chestnutlass-2 pounds! wohoo, keep it up! Our school does a quarterly movie, we get to show a movie to the kids while we work on finishing report cards. It really helps, but nothing at mid-quarter.

Everybody else, post on your progress. How you doin'?

~Jenn

Chestnutlass
02-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Well report cards are done, now it is time to gear up for mid term conferences...oh well.

I had a horrific case of the stomach flu this weekend. I am back at work today but I am a little achy. I think I bruised ribs! Oh well. My official weigh in is Monday morning (keeps me honest on the weekends) and the scale was WAYY down I am sure that is due to complete lack of anything in my body! I am going to skip weigh in this week and see where I am next week...

Hope everyone else is feeling better.

babybelly-tickets are great, I use them myself!

Sooperbusy- glad to hear your feeling better. My prayers are with your husband and all our soilders!

Mari

sooooperbizee
02-07-2007, 08:47 PM
*bump*

Where is everyone? Hope you're still staying strong, avoid the lounge food! LOL

flamejobgrrl
02-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi there,

I am a teacher as well. I am in my second year and teaching grade 6-8 special education in Acton, Ontario. The biggest problem I have is the balanced lunch day - we actually have 2 lunch breaks. I am starving by 10:33 when our first break hits and if I eat a lunch then I am also hungry by 1:00 when we have our next break.

I brought in a water cooler to the class, and while the kids are great about drinking it I haven't been good. I like the idea of filling up the water bottle and starting at home. I used to be great about this when in school myself because the bottle sat in front of me all day and I just sipped at it until that darn 64oz were gone. I am re-addicted to carbs and need help to back off them again. It was a carb-reduced diet and exercise that helped me lose my 100lbs (which I have kept off) before. I have been eating less, working out more, eating healthier in general and the scale and clothing hasn't changed in months. HELP!!! Someone kick me in the pants!

Happy to be onboard with you all - do you have short term goals you have set to meet? I am going to start with water intake as a personal goal and then look towards a weight loss by a date type goal.

Thanks

SillyFluff
03-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey is this thread just for teachers or can TAs join too? :)

I'm 24. I just started a position as a TA in a local elementary school. I work half day with 3rd grade and half day with 2nd grade. I go to school at night and i also work part time at Sylvan learning center.

JoannaC
03-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi Sillyfluff, I am a TA as well. I am actually a licensed teacher, but I spent some time overseas and came back with no local references, so I found it hard to get a teaching position right away. I worked at an adult learning centre for a couple months then took this, hoping I could come out of it with a bit of a professional network. I teach Sunday school too. Over the summer, I am taking an additional qualification on teaching French as a second language, which I am hoping will put me in a better position for September.

I have been following the Richard Simmons food mover program for a few weeks and really like it. Had a bit if a relapse this week---there are some foods I just shouldn't keep in the house :) But I am back on track for tomorrow and have planned my day to work around some challenges (mall shopping, babysitting gig etc.)

Nicker
03-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Hey all,

This is a great thread idea. I am a 12 year veteran now. I started out teaching grade one. I did that for a few years then I moved to grades 4 and 5 for a few years. After that I did high school for a couple of years on now I'm on my fourth year of juniour high.

People really don't get the demands our job puts on us. I really do know that exercise and going to the gym would be helpful for the weight loss. I know however that realistically that is never going to happen for me. I need to do this by sensible eating. People always say find something that is going to work for you and that you can maintain for the rest of your life since this really can't be just a diet it has to be a life change. I leave for work by 7:30 every morning. I don't do mornings well so I am not getting out of bed earlier to go to a gym. By the end of the day I am exhausted. I rarley leave school before 5:30 OR 6:00 and often I am even there until 9:00 or later. By that time it takes all I have to go home and make much lunch for the next day and plan what other meals/snacks I will have the next day.

I also have Crohn's disease which makes it all that much more difficult for me. Just getting through the basic school day for me is usually exhausting but then I still have to push to get done the prep work and the marking and the phone calls home and the multitude of other tasks that always seem to be there. By the time the weekends come I am absolutley ready to crash. Since I have been on this push to lose all the weight I ganied from the steroids I push myself to not sleep during the day on weekends. I could sleep the entire weekend if I would allow myself to.

People think we have it so great because we get all of those good holidays. They don't understand that we could work for 24 hours a day and still not be caught up during the school year. They also don't get that we spend much of our holiday times getting ready for back to to school.

I have been really bad with the water the last week. I too fill a litre bottle in the morning and try to drink it before lunch and then I refill and try to have it done by the end of the day. I also usually drink at least one cup of decaf tea. It is rally hard though. At least when I taught elementary I could pee at recess. Now we have 4 minutes between classes and the staff bathroom is at the other end of the school from me. I really don't have a long enough break in which to go to the bathroom from between 8:10 when the bell rings to start class until 12:05 which is lunch.

The scale seems to have been stuck (fluctuating up and down actually) for the last couple of weeks. OMG..... I just looked back and it has only been a week. What a LOOOOOOONG week. I am getting very frustrated and I am really feeling like throwing in the towel. The end of my week is tomorrow. So far I am netting a half pound GAIN for the week even though I am still right on par with average weekly caloric intake. :?: My fat/carb/protein are all in acceptable ranges as well.