Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #1  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

Default Calories VS Fat

I have been tracking my food via FitDay for about a week now and I am noticing a trend in how I eat--while I am good at staying under my calorie limit, I am always over my fat limit. If I am still creating my 500-calorie deficit and exercising, how will the fat affect me? I am asking just out of curiosity, not because I want to keep eating this way (though I do love the pizza!) I am on a 2-step challenge right now--quit smoking, then get fit via exercise. While quitting, I am learing about my eating habits with the FitDay, so that when it is tim to hit the gym for real, I know what I am facing.
Does this make sense?
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

All food has calories, and some calories "cost" a lot more than other foods~mainly due to the fat content. I use Fitday and I try to keep my fat %age at less than 30% per day (I strive for 20%, but rarely make that!) as well as keeping my calories around 1200 and I exercise to get that deficit. Hope this helps!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I've been on this walnut kick the last few weeks, so my fat % has been coming out like 37% a day. But I've been feeling less hungry so I think this is helping me and since I know all the fat is coming from a healthy source (except for today's small steak), I'm not worried. On the other hand, I notice when I eat just one regular McD hamburger with NO cheese (this is a rarity in an emergency) and a small order of fries, my fat content is so high that day and I know that's not good. So I think it depends on the type of fat you're getting.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Quote:
So I think it depends on the type of fat you're getting.
DEFINITELY!! In fact, in the past I've had problems with getting too little fat. Mostly the problem was lack of satiety. Good fats, like the Omega-3s in walnuts, are good for your heart AND help you feel satisfied, as food fats trigger feelings of satiety.
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2.5"

It definately depends on the kind of fat you are eating. NOT ALL FATS ARE CREATED EQUAL! We should be completely avoiding trans fats, limiting saturated fats. However the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated (I think they are called) kinds are good. These are the kinds you would find in things like olive oil, nuts, avocados, etc. If you are getting alot of your fat from healthy sources, I wouldn't worry too much unless you were getting something crazy like 40%+ of your calories from fat consistantly as then I would worry your diet isn't balanced enough.
sakuya3834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuya3834 View Post
It definately depends on the kind of fat you are eating. NOT ALL FATS ARE CREATED EQUAL! We should be completely avoiding trans fats, limiting saturated fats. However the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated (I think they are called) kinds are good. These are the kinds you would find in things like olive oil, nuts, avocados, etc. If you are getting alot of your fat from healthy sources, I wouldn't worry too much unless you were getting something crazy like 40%+ of your calories from fat consistantly as then I would worry your diet isn't balanced enough.
you're right. I wasn't specific enough. I meant to say stay away from the trans fats that you find in processed foods. I still eat my nuts (although in moderation).

Look at your ingredients. Don't eat it if it has partially hydrogenated vegetable oil~that's the worst!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

"your fat limit" is also not set in stone. If you are satisfied where you are great, if not it might need to change. I can not go too low or I get ravenous.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Agreed. Good fat vs bad fat is the main issue. The recommended amount of fat to get is 30%. But that fat needs to come from good sources.

Nuts, lean meats, olive oil, etc.
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #9  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Agreed. Good fat vs bad fat is the main issue. The recommended amount of fat to get is 30%. But that fat needs to come from good sources.
thanks for all the answers you guys--I forgot about Good vs Evil fats. Most nights I have some sort of chicken for dinner and I use olive oil (maybe 2tb) and that always kicks up the Fat in what I eat. I'll try to remember that Olive Oil fat is much better for me than Lil Debbie fat (but, oh, I love her so...)
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykay9377 View Post
Olive Oil fat is much better for me than Lil Debbie fat (but, oh, I love her so...)
Not only is olive oil "much better" than saturated fats, "good" fats are actually NECESSARY for heart health (and probably other body systems).

Last edited by Mami; 01-16-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote