Weight Loss Support - What is "doing it" for you?

View Full Version : What is "doing it" for you?

Chestnutlass
01-08-2007, 02:29 PM
I was having this discussion with co-workers and thought I would bring it here as well. What is the NUMBER ONE thing that is "working" for you?

Some said increasing thier water
walking
yoga
decreasing carbs
eating smaller meals
exc....

What is it that keeps you going down???

Mari

LittlePaperStars
01-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Portion control worked for me.

MileHighMama
01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Keeping my calories low (1,000-1,200 per day) and increasing my cardio to 40-45 minutes a day and also changing up my cardio, say, 20 minutes on the TreadClimber plus 25 minutes on the elliptical. I have hypothyroidism and even though I am on medication and my levels are in the normal range I still find it difficult to lose if I go above 1,200 cals a day.
Pam

Glory87
01-08-2007, 02:51 PM
1. Planning. It's hard to eat healthy by accident.
2. Eating enough calories a day to keep me satisfied. Previously, I would restrict/binge in an ugly cycle.
3. Getting rid of all the junk. A whole food diet has changed my whole life - so much more energy and I feel wonderful.
4. Accepting finally, after 20 years, that I can't diet temporarily and expect long term results. My old "normal" way of eating was terrible and made me heavy, I had to change my "normal" forever.

In short, eat less bad foods, eat more good foods, exercise. 75 lbs, 2 years maintenance!

bandit2
01-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Not bringing junk into house (especially potatoe chips)
Planning out any treats beforehand

MariaMaria
01-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Very little white food (bread, rice, pasta, etc), no junk(y) food.

midwife
01-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Running. Other cardio, for me, doesn't quite do it...likely operator error.

mandalinn82
01-08-2007, 05:19 PM
1. Drinking tons of water
2. Cooking -every- night unless there are DIRE scheduling complications, or I make a conscious effort to go out with friends. No more eating out because I am just feeling too lazy to cook.
3. Planning. Getting to the grocery store, stocking the house with healthy options, and making my meal plan first thing in the morning, before anything goes into my mouth.

LisaMarie71
01-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Portion control and lots of cardio (particularly walking, running, and elliptical).

rockinrobin
01-08-2007, 05:54 PM
I would say it's a combination of things, of course it's the food choices, planning, well stocked home, exercise - but you did say ONE thing, so the ONE thing that's doing it for me is:

DETERMINATION

ennay
01-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Its just the first time I've got it all together. I've run, I've counted calories, I've eaten the right foods - this is the first time I've really done all 3 at the SAME TIME

MileHighMama
01-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Yes, RockinRobin, absolutely. Determination is key. So is PATIENCE. It really takes time, lots of time, and most people, especially me, want it to happen NOW and give up when it doesn't.
Pam

PerthChick
01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
The thing I've learned about losing weight this time around, if I have to put it down to one thing is:

BALANCE

The biggest battle is with our own heads and hearts, in my opinion. But learning to achieve balance - which I glibly sum up with a saying I put on my noticeboard: "Walk a little, eat a little, laugh a lot", means working on a whole bunch of different areas of my life.

From planning meals, to walking every day, to learning about portion control, to recognising emotional triggers… it's a long, tough journey. And it's never dull!

:-)
Ani

Ilene
01-08-2007, 07:02 PM
The main key for me was to be PERSISTANT in the eating clean... I can be persistant with exercise, but eating is a whole other kettle of fish... I'd lose 2# only to regain them on the weekend :faint:... When I finally got sick of that, after, oh maybe, 14 years :lol:, I actually lost weight ....

erinket
01-08-2007, 09:28 PM
It's a combination of things for me, too--
1. Logging everything into Fitday
2. Running

My key word is DISCIPLINE.

mandalinn82
01-08-2007, 11:06 PM
I want to add two -

COOKING SKILLS
and
VARIETY

Cheryl14
01-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I've done GREAT at maintaining (am the SAME STUPID WEIGHT OF 210 since last May!), but haven't mastered getting over my plateau yet. My maintaining success in my opinion is from weighing myself every morning no matter what. It keeps me honest, and assures that I never again will have pounds "sneak" up on me as those HUNDRED POUNDS just materialized "suddenly" over those 25 years!

Cheryl

jillybean720
01-09-2007, 06:04 AM
For me, it's planning, planning, planning! If I leave it up to myself to make choices throughout the day without planning ahead, one of 2 things will happen:

I will eat way too much because I won't have a firm total in mind
I will eat way too little to overcompensate for my fear of eating too much :dizzy:I plan my food for the whole day first thing in the morning every day--even on weekends--if not the night before.

2frustrated
01-09-2007, 08:48 AM
CONSISTENCY is key

Eat clean EVERY DAY
Exercise EVERY DAY (except Sunday, the day of rest!)
Put your mind to it EVERY DAY
Drink plenty of water EVERY DAY
Plan meals EVERY DAY

lilybelle
01-09-2007, 09:28 AM
For me it's a matter of eating at home whether I want to or not. Keeping my appropriate foods stocked with careful planning. Keeping to my low carb plan and walking most every day.

LittleElectron
01-09-2007, 02:06 PM
My thing would be exercise. I don't really have the food down yet to "losing weight level." I'm pretty much eating at maintenance. But I have added exercise consistently to my life, and that has made a big difference in how I look and feel. My keyword would be AWARENESS. I never had to watch my weight before in high school. I just ate food, i would exercise, and it was fine. I knew rationally that eating a lot would make you gain weight, but I never experienced what "a lot" meant before. Now, in college, (after 3.5 years of gaining!), I'm finally at the point where I realize that eating a lot and drinking a lot makes you ::gasp:: gain weight. Shocking, I know. Now at least I am aware of what I am eating, aware of its effects, and aware of how my body feels when I exercise or when I don't. This lets me make informed decisions about my health.

sakuya3834
01-09-2007, 03:23 PM
For me, it's planning, planning, planning! If I leave it up to myself to make choices throughout the day without planning ahead, one of 2 things will happen:

I will eat way too much because I won't have a firm total in mind
I will eat way too little to overcompensate for my fear of eating too much :dizzy:I plan my food for the whole day first thing in the morning every day--even on weekends--if not the night before.

I am exactly like this. I have to plan in the morning/night before or else I will eat too much or eat way too little because I'm afraid of eating too much!

Zorak
01-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Focusing on health and the commitment to be healthy rather than weight.

Whenever I simply focused on weight, I would slide back into my old habits once I reached my goal. Doing it for health gives me a push to stick to it long-term.

And with exercise, I just do it five times a week. No excuses unless I am too sick or injured to do an activity. Keeping track of your fitness progress is a great motivator, but there will always be days in which you would rather be doing something else. And that's when the commitment aspect comes in.

Chestnutlass
01-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Such great thoughts. I never really thought about the "emotional end" before. Maybe that is what was lacking....

Mari

BlueToBlue
01-10-2007, 12:54 PM
1. Keeping a food journal and limiting my calories to 1200-1400 per day.
2. Cooking dinner instead of going out. I always cook enough for two nights so I don't have to cook every night.
3. Working out with a trainer 3 days a week.
4. Allowing myself the occasional treat.

I thought planning was really important but lately I've been so sick that I haven't been planning. It's part lack of energy and part that my appetite is all screwed up and I can't accurately predict what I want to eat (and one of the illness was the stomach flu, so a lot of my normal meals are off the table at the moment). Turns out, I do fine without planning. I'm just careful to keep my meals within certain ranges (200 calories for breakfast, 300 for lunch, and 400 for dinner) and to make sure snacks fit in the days limit before I eat them and I come out under my limit every day.

chick_in_the_hat
01-10-2007, 04:22 PM
1. Keeping a food journal and limiting my calories to 1400-1600 per day.
2. Cooking dinner instead of going out.
3. Working out 6 days a week (fairly heavy duty cardio workouts, 75% to 85%. of max heart rate for 30 to 60 minutes + 3-4 days a week of weight training) + Walking the dog 7 days a week. IMHO this is the main reason I've managed not to gain...cause I'm way more disciplined at exercising than pulling off less than 1600 calories
4. Planning ahead - always having a healthy snack available...if I gotta go looking there's no telling what I might find. :dizzy:
5. Weighing daily

cantforgetthis
01-10-2007, 08:01 PM
It's funny, when people talk to me about my losing weight the first thing they ask me is "how long do you have to eat this way?" ;)

The NUMBER ONE thing I have to tell them is..

This is a lifestyle not a diet! :D

That's the mind set. It never ends and it's never perfect. It's what I make it.
To support that lifestyle, the best things i've done for myself are

~get rid of the junk and anything artificial
~drink LOTS of water
~eat every 2-3 hours
~move more :carrot:

starchild
01-10-2007, 10:42 PM
1. Water (mostly all I drink)
2. Planned Exercise (4-5 times weekly)
3. Eating 3 meals a day that I prepare, plus healthy snacks
4. Sheer "wanting it!"
5. Support Partners

chick_in_the_hat
01-11-2007, 01:16 PM
This is a lifestyle not a diet! :D

That's the mind set. It never ends and it's never perfect. It's what I make it.

AMEN to that, sister!!! :carrot: