General chatter - What is your favorite name?

View Full Version : What is your favorite name?

shrinkingchica
01-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Wow! These name games are reallly popular and got me to thinking...... What is your favorite name and why? Is it your name, your child's name or maybe something outrageous that wouldn't be practical as a name but is still awesome nonetheless?

I'll start first.

My favorite name (aside from Charlotte lol) is: Saoirse. It means freedom and I think it is such a strong sounding girl's name (sear-sha). If I have a daughter I would hope to have the chutzpah to name her this.

How about you guys?

Sassy_Chick
01-08-2007, 12:54 AM
I've always like the name Alexandra or Gabriella (Gabby for short) for a girl and Shane for a boy, but DH doesn't like neither of those! lol.

Michelle
01-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I love the girl's name Hailee, even though I didn't think of it when I had both of my daughters, but when I get a puppy, that will be her name. I still love both of my daughter's names too.:D

lizziness
01-08-2007, 01:03 AM
i love Gaelic names, but like you I'm not sure i would be brave enough to name a kid anything that i liked. I really love the name Niahm (Nee-Av). I used to really like the name Tristan but it seems to be used a really lot now. :(
My hubby who is really into anime thought Lain would be a good name for a girl. I talked him down to Lena, which I like very much... but chances are there are no children in our future anyway.
I have a lot more names I can't stand... it's very popular here in the Pac NW to name your child a Mc-name... I don't know if it's McDonald's inspired or what... but there are a ton of McKenzies, McKenna's, McKayla's etc. Seems too confusing for school teachers.
A fun game is to go through the local hospital's baby registry and see the pics of the cute kids and the crazy *** names their parents give them. I know it's kinda mean but sometimes I swear I can tell which parents were under 20 by the names and bizzare spellings of names...

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-08-2007, 01:23 AM
A fun game is to go through the local hospital's baby registry and see the pics of the cute kids and the crazy *** names their parents give them. I know it's kinda mean but sometimes I swear I can tell which parents were under 20 by the names and bizzare spellings of names...

Heh. Best name ever: Flower-Darling Daisy-Destiny Anne. I am not making that up; I read it in the Sunday paper my first weekened in Honolulu. I don't even remember the last name, but the rest of it is singed into my mind for all eternity, complete with hyphens.

I could also come up with a couple of doozies courtesy of my work in data entry & even one of my husband's shipmates, but that's not the point of this thread. ;)

My actual favorite name? That would indeed be my own. Sabra. It's a family name, dating back probably to the earliest part of this century, as my grandmother for whom I was named was born in 1929, and herself named for an earlier family member.

It is the name that native-born Israelis are said to use for themselves; it is the name of a cactus native to that land. As so many other names from that area, it has an Arabic meaning as well-restful. BUT since it is a national symbol of Israel it gets very fun. Google has enlightened me to the fact that my name is borne by: a naughty Japanese magazine, a brand of hummus & other middle-eastern delicacies (I actually saw some in the store in Virginia once, but my husband refused to buy it), two or three restaurants of varying sorts in this country, pantyhose, a sports car, a pickup truck, a dessert wine (odd story: I once met a corpsman who asked me if I'd been named for the wine like his sister had), a very fine style of ring, a shoe, and even a few tanks.

But this, oh this is my favorite:

I'm a SUPERHERO! :lol3:

lizziness
01-08-2007, 01:29 AM
#1 goofy name I saw was Princesa Vanessa.

tweetyandme
01-08-2007, 04:10 AM
In the FAR future i want to name my son Christian, and i might name my daughter Steffini (Stephanie). I might just go ahead and name my daughter Ellie May. lol

melekalikimaka
01-08-2007, 04:39 PM
I once knew a family who had named their kids 3 of the armed forces--Army, Navy and Marine--no kidding. Oh, and one of my personal faves, the family last name was "Silva", 2 sons first names were Hi-Ho and Sterling :lol:

Sabra, while living in Hawaii I know you had to have read not only the "unusual" made up names people give their kids here, but also the atrociously creative spellings to go with them:

some examples:

Chaymes (Seamus)
Liajeydine (Leah-jay-deen maybe, I'm guessing)
Precshuss (Precious)
Chaffon (like Chiffon, but the mother didn't like the spelling... WTF?)
I know there are more, but my mind is going haywire trying to think of them, they are so prolific here. Don't even get me started on the "combined-named-after-their-parents-names"... :headache:

Sorry, I digress...
But back to the thread topic, I really like the name Gabriel for a boy (I already have a Michael so another archangel would be in order), or Sara for a girl. I like my name "Noelle" too. :lol:

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-08-2007, 05:43 PM
My favorite name misspelling has got to be "Symphany." It's just so close to the actual word that I really think they thought that's how symphony is spelled.

This sort of thing is why, I think, I once had a nurse thank me for giving Linda a "real" name. ;)

alinnell
01-08-2007, 05:55 PM
I used to work at a hospital and a mother gave birth to two girls and named them Phenomenon and Millenium. Unfortunately, she didn't have the decency to spell either of the words correctly (I can't remember the exact misspellings).

melekalikimaka
01-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Allison, this is how the very young, (probably) unwed mothers would spell it in Honolulu:

Phynnomynym and Myllennyum -- i kid you not! :rofl:

freiamaya
01-08-2007, 08:42 PM
I went to school with a set of boy twins who were named Myron and Byron. Seemed cute when they were 5. Not so cute when they were in graduate school...

Glory87
01-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Elizabeth is my favorite name.

EZMONEY
01-08-2007, 11:25 PM
My Neices Are Named Sunshine And Summer Dawn. We Grew Up By Kids Named (and I Kid You Not!) Frosty ~ Stormy~ Blizzard

lizziness
01-08-2007, 11:39 PM
hehehe. We used to live in American Samoa and we knew people with names like Easter Day and Christmas Day. Samoan names are interesting, the secularized ones are silly and the traditional ones I have a really hard time trying to pronounce.

I had a customer that was Rudolph Christmas JR! I think it was the JR that took it over the top for me.

Other names I like are Patricia, Charlotte (Lottie for short), both are family names. The men's family names are not so great, especially Sigurd. Good old norse name.

Sakai
01-08-2007, 11:42 PM
I love the name Vincent. Don't really know why. I just think it's a very nice, strong name for a boy.
Another boy name I like is Sky.
There was this girl in my class who had a name I never heard used as a name before. I never thought much of it until later when I relized I liked her name a lot. It was Sunday.

Glory87
01-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Sky is a boy's name? I went to high school with a Sundae :)

Losingme
01-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Corinne (Nickname Cori)
Ella
Abigal

Male names are a bit more cliche

Jakob
Nicolas
Liam
Owen

EZMONEY
01-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Sky is a boy's name? I went to high school with a Sundae :)

I KNEW A KID IN THE 70'S ~ SKYE

EZMONEY
01-09-2007, 01:10 AM
My Brand New (as Of Oct.) Nephew's Name Is Jet Rhoads

Mrs Quadcrew
01-09-2007, 10:56 AM
I love the name Dane for a boy (or Dain) Sounds so strong.

For a girl, Victoria - and no shortening it to Vicki.

Ian is also one of my favorite boy names, and my DD named my Grandson that becasue she knew how much I liked it!

the dumbest name I have heard from someone I know is Mercedes. (duh)

tweetyandme
01-09-2007, 12:27 PM
My cousin is named Bently....like the car. LOL

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-09-2007, 12:35 PM
the dumbest name I have heard from someone I know is Mercedes. (duh)

That's actually a reference to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Mercedes was Karl Benz's daughter's name, in fact. If the Mercedes you know is a Latina, it's much more likely to do with the BVM than the car. ;)

alinnell
01-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I went to college with a guy named Ski. He was a skier, but that was his given name. I also knew a guy named Tres (pronounced trace), I think his parents were trying to be French, but didn't know how to pronounce it (should be pronounced like tray).

I had a friend named Lawrence (female, pronounced La-Rance, she went by Laurie) and a friend named Michael (female, prounounced Michelle). Both of their parents wanted boys (for real!). The kicker is, you know how you get freebies in the mail sometimes, they always get the freebies aimed toward men!

IwannaLoseIt
01-09-2007, 12:49 PM
I love the name Jordan (for a boy) and Diandra for a girl. I have had my share of classmates with weird names. I once knew a Winter,a January,a Pepper Ann Solt,an Autumn, a Mike Tyson, a Sunni, two James Bond's (a Sr. and Jr.) and even a Joe Black (Meet Joe Black).

Mrs Quadcrew
01-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I hope I didn't offend anyone with the "Mercedes" name reference.....the one I knew was not Latino, plain ol' redneck Ohio. And it was pronounced Mer - Si - deez not Mer-say-dees.

melekalikimaka
01-09-2007, 01:37 PM
I lived next door to little gal named "Lexus". Not short for Alexis or anything 'normal', just Lexus.

Oh, and when I worked for a dentist, we had a patient named Corvette. vroom vroom! :lol:

NewDay4MeToo
01-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I knew a girl named Stormy.

I love Ella, Ellen, and Margaret.

My fave boy name is Jacob.

techwife
01-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Well, a girl in my son's school is Mercede Studebaker. I also went to school with a set of three sisters named Starr, Bambi and Angel. We all figured their parents were hippies. Also, one day my husband and I were in the toy store adn a guy that worked there started talking to us about his new baby named Anakin. Sheesh! How would you like to be 25 years old, going on a serious job interview and having your prospective boss go to shake your hand and say, "Nice to meet you...Anakin?" and have him make light saber jokes. He'll never be taken seriously unless he's at a Star Wars convention.

I like the name Jan for a boy, but if I had another boy, I'd probably name him Gregory James. If I had a girl, she'd be Angela Marie after my dearly departed mother in law. But, alas, we aren't having any more human babies and if I keep bugging my husband, he might get me another puppy :fr:

I also like Lucas. My daughter's name is Shelley. I wanted something 'normal' but not used much anymore. And, in the 7th grade, she's the only Shelley. My son is Kyle and I LOVE that name. In choosing names for my babies, I envisioned their name on a name plate on their cubicle in an office and wanted somethign that would say, "That sounds like a nice, approachable person" to anyone that was new and needed a new friend. :dunno: It's just the formula I used.

FrouFrou
01-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I have always been fascinated with names. I am one of those people who always watch the credits of movies just to see the names too.I actually saw a Heidi Ho once, lol. And there are waaaay too many names I love.

GIRLS
Emily
Emma
Stella
Abigail
Angela
Jennifer
Amanda
Heather
Lily
Ava
Elisabeth

BOYS
Matthew
Ian
Alexander
Jonathan (just about all "j" names)
Aaron
Daniel
Elijah
Eli

I never went to school with anyone who had an odd name. Did know a Stormy and a Star once though and neither name fit either person, lol. What kills me now days though is how some parents say they spell their childrens' name different to make their child unique. But...they usually take a fairly common name and misspell it. It doesn't make the name or child unique...if you take Abigail and spell it Abygayle it doesn't make it unique because it is still pronounced the same. Just makes the parent look illerate. But I see it all the time and read about it as well.

Spideranne
01-09-2007, 03:34 PM
My personal favorites are Elizabeth and Shane and Seth.

If you want to look at the popularity of names, check out this link.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-09-2007, 09:26 PM
What kills me now days though is how some parents say they spell their childrens' name different to make their child unique. But...they usually take a fairly common name and misspell it. It doesn't make the name or child unique...if you take Abigail and spell it Abygayle it doesn't make it unique because it is still pronounced the same. Just makes the parent look illerate. But I see it all the time and read about it as well.

Really, people have always been doing that. My MIL's name is Janett & her sister's name is Sherrian. My own mother's middle name is Rissilla. Not that that excuses people these days doing it. ;)

EZMONEY
01-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Spideranne ~ Thanks For The Site, It Was Cool

Sheila53
01-09-2007, 10:00 PM
The strangest name I've heard/seen was Snow White. She went to my high school well after I did, and was quite an athlete so her name was in the paper all the time. She was from American Samoa.

I like Celtic names, too, but nobody can pronounce them. I like the name Siobhan, and I've noticed people are spelling it like it's pronounced these days (like Shavon). And I once named a foster kitten Seamus O'Neill. Everyone (well, a few exceptions) pronounced it See-mus instead of Shay-mus. Quite annoying. And I'm sure Niahm would be pronounced Nee-ham or something like that.

lizziness
01-10-2007, 12:20 AM
heh, you're right. I typoed the name. It's Niamh. Oops.

Also like Aisling.
I don't know if I'd be able to give my kid a name that nobody could pronounce correctly. Seems kinda mean. Also gotta pay attention to initials... don't want your initials to be PMS or *** or something.

MaWhit
01-10-2007, 01:14 AM
My kids are Marian Dale, Leo Wisdom, and Sophie Jane. I love all those names. Ella and Daisy are favorites, too.

melekalikimaka
01-10-2007, 02:38 AM
Lizziness :rofl:

BlueToBlue
01-10-2007, 03:58 AM
I like unusual names. If I had kids, I would want to give them names that it is unlikely their classmates would have. I've always liked Camilla for a girl. I also like girls names that sound like boys names. My college roommate was named Brette. Can't think of any others right now but I like the idea of giving a girl a strong name. For a boy, I like Cody, Sam, or Max.

I also really like the idea of family names. I would love to use my mother's maiden name as a first name for either a boy or a girl, but my SO is flat against it. But I've definitely claimed it for the middle name. Not that we are ever going to have any kids to name--I don't know why I've put all this thought into what I would name these kids we aren't ever going to have.

One thing I would never do is give my kid a name that starts with the same initial as his/her last name. I've had to deal with that all my life and I hate it. Totally ruins the effect of signing things with my initials and it makes my name that much harder to pronounce (and my last name is already a doozy).

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing (http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/index.html)

One of my favorite bad baby names websites. ;) She goes after just about everybody in it, so fair warning.

See, I'm all about giving my kids unusual names too. Every time I am pregnant, me and the Social Security Administration's popular baby names (http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/) website become very good friends. None of my daughters have names in the top 200, only one is in the top 300 (Esther, and it's barely there), and one has been off the charts for 10 years now. ;) So they're not too likely to run into another kid with their name (and on a practical level, in school I knew one Bobbie, one Esther, and no Lindas), but at the same time everyone recognizes their names. Now, I seriously doubt my old friend Shantillia ever met another person with her name in class, but she had plenty of other issues to deal with because of her name. (For one, it never fit on the computer printout of the class rolls, so her name got mangled just as often as mine.)

alinnell
01-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing

That is one hilarious website! I didn't have time to read it all, but 3 pages sure had me laughing! Thanks!

shrinkingchica
01-10-2007, 02:51 PM
One thing I would never do is give my kid a name that starts with the same initial as his/her last name. I've had to deal with that all my life and I hate it. Totally ruins the effect of signing things with my initials

Actually I like having the same initials. It makes buying/getting things with the intial C on it always appropriate for me. I also think that initaling things CC looks nice. At least to me.
My cousin is also a BB and I think that that is cool as well.

Sheila53
01-10-2007, 03:34 PM
:lol: Lizziness! When I was in fourth grade, we had to put our initials on some projects and put them on a bulletin board. I was so afraid people would notice that my initials read backwards spelled ***. So, people, make sure your kids' initials don't spell anything bad forward OR backward!

alinnell
01-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I knew a girl named Kim. Her initials were KIM! She said her mom did it on purpose.

AndiRae
01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
My next door neighbor is a teacher and last year she had 4 ashley's all spelled differently (ashleigh, ashlee, ashley, ashlie). She says it's no more original if you spell it differently!

I grew up on an Indian Reservation in NE Montana and still live nearby. The names are always interesting (Freedom, Sunrise, Cobra, Viking, Suprise, Feather.....) I could go on and on and on.

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-10-2007, 04:38 PM
My next door neighbor is a teacher and last year she had 4 ashley's all spelled differently (ashleigh, ashlee, ashley, ashlie). She says it's no more original if you spell it differently!

I grew up on an Indian Reservation in NE Montana and still live nearby. The names are always interesting (Freedom, Sunrise, Cobra, Viking, Suprise, Feather.....) I could go on and on and on.

That reminds me of this:

"Native American" Names That Don't Have the Meaning They're Supposed To (http://www.native-languages.org/wrongnames.htm)

My favorite:

WEEKO: Some Internet sources claim this word means "pretty" in Dakota or Lakota Sioux. It emphatically does not. It is a slang form of wikoska and it means "venereal disease." I can only hope this 'name' was made up by some writer of Western romance novels who had no idea what it really means.

Of course, I'm sure the NA on the rez knew what they were doing. :lol:

techwife
01-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Oh, one other name I forgot about was...when I was little, I was looking through the fridge and saw a box of cheese and thought Velveeta would be a great name for a girl. My daughter Shelley's glad I outgrew that.

Additionally, my daughter would like to add that she likes the name Michalene.

FrouFrou
01-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Speaking of initals...mine spell CAR, lol. No one really notices though and it's not often that I use them.

My ex-SIL has a son named Nakni, pronounced knock-knee. It's supposedly choctaw and means something about the sunrise because she had him at home in the early morning. And she actually talked about how everyone else (family) will probably name there kids something common, lol. We all did...better the teachers have a name they can pronounce than put the kids thru heck with one they are always having problems with. The last name is hard enough so...

And speaking of spellings...when I tell someone my name and they ask is it with a C or K I say C without the h and they get this confused look on their face. Then spell it with the h anyway.

And thank you ladies for those sites...I wrote them down to frequent...too funny the bad name one.

techwife
01-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Cristina: One time someone asked me my name and I said "Kris with a K" and they wrote down Chris McKay. :mad: Now I just say, "Kris with a K...but I answer to both."

shrinkingchica
01-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Cristina: One time someone asked me my name and I said "Kris with a K" and they wrote down Chris McKay. :mad: Now I just say, "Kris with a K...but I answer to both."

HA! :D That is too funny!!!! Now we know how everyones surnames named got befuddled at Ellis Island (and everywhere else!).

shrinkingchica
01-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Other names I like...Charlotte (Lottie for short).

Thank you on behalf of Charlottes everywhere lol. ;) Also, Lottie is my family nickname........ I hate the nicknames Charlie or Char!

lizziness
01-10-2007, 11:08 PM
hehe. my mother in law is a char and used to go my charlie, but she is a charmaine not charlotte.

my initials are lpp if i use Liz instead of Elizabeth. it confuses people at work when i use e instead of l but to me lpp sounds like El Pee Pee - which to me would me by masked Mexican wrestler name... and i just can't do it...

i am on the phones all day and people keep thinking I say my name is Ruth.. how they get Ruth from Liz i'll never know. but whenever they get it wrong, i just tell them the wrong thing is the right thing because it's easier. One person decided my name was spelled L-I-E but I was too tired of her to care... I had spelled my name like 5 times.

I love the thought of giving children unique names, names none of their schoolmates would have ... but do some of them have to be so ridiculous? :D

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Cristina is fairly common hereabouts, as one might expect. I had to deal with someone wanting to spell my youngest's name Ester for the first time a week ago; the lady for whom I named her had to deal with it a lot, as it's the Spanish spelling, & she's first generation born in this country. My eldest's first middle name--Catharine--is spelled wrong by almost everyone (one reason it's not her first name). I had to send my husband back inside to vital records to get her birth certificate fixed after they misspelled it and he didn't notice. :mad:

mauvaisroux
01-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Techwife - I've been to two Star Wars conventions and have to shake my head at people who name their kids things like Darth and Anakin or anything else that is related to Star Wars. Luke or Leia would be fine, even Mara Jade (which is a lovely name) but they are real names that people can live with as they get older.

Dumbest names I've seen: Apple (Gwyneth Paltrow); Fifi Trixibelle, Tiger Lilly something or other and Peaches (something or other) who are Bob Geldof's kids - EEK! :yikes:

Names I do like:

Boys: Devon, Darius, Damian, Tristan, Sebastian, Lukas and Logan

Girls: Anastasia, Francesca, Ofelia (that is the correct spelling- not made up - I think it is middle eastern or Spanish), Oona (an Irish girl I used to work with's name), Caraistiona (my name in Gaelic) and Anais (my mum's name in French - Agnes).

shrinkingchica
01-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Ophelia or Ofelia........ as in Hamlet. It means help. :)

FrouFrou
01-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Techwife...lol, too funny.

I wonder half the time if people are too busy to pay attention...in person and on the phone.

Yeah, Apple is a good one. Wonder if she'll have an Orange next, or maybe Cherry? What about Pilot Inspektor? I think it was Jason Lee who named his son that. Oh and more...

Tu Morrow...Rob Morrow
True Harlowe...Joely Fisher
Poppy Honey & Daisy Boo...Jamie Oliver
Banjo...Rachel Griffith
Audio Science...Shannyn Sossamon
Moxie CrimeFighter...Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller and...

Zowie Bowie and Rolin Bolin, lol!

How's that for unique? :lol:

lizziness
01-11-2007, 11:25 PM
if by unique you mean both disturbing and evil... :)

FrouFrou
01-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I think it is just cruel. Why on earth would you do something like that to your child? Dd mentioned a singer, can't remember who...they had wanted girls and ended up having three boys. But had three girl names picked and named their boys girl names. I'll have to find out who it was.

EZMONEY
01-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Then There Is Always Moon Unit And Dweezel! Good 'ol Frank

alinnell
01-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Hey, Frank was an icon. I really feel bad when he died (these days he probably would have survived the cancer). Don't Eat Yellow Snow....What a classic!!! (This is from a dog lover!!)

EZMONEY
01-12-2007, 01:06 AM
got to be a little strange to like zappa.....I knew I liked you Allison! ;)

lizziness
01-12-2007, 02:35 AM
yay. Zappa. Had an old boyfriend that used to call me Wowie Zowie. :)

had to talk to someone today whose last name was McNutt. That was really difficult for me... I guess I'm very immature. :)

melekalikimaka
01-12-2007, 01:45 PM
I had a customer with the last name "Phenis" (you figure out how he said it :lol: )

VelVeeta
01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
mine would have to be Campbell because its my new niece's name. She is the first grandchild in the family and she is absolutely precious. Makes me smile everytime i see her or hear her name.

BlueToBlue
01-12-2007, 08:27 PM
My mom got to name me and my Dad got to name my sister. Some of his top choices for names for her were:
- Joe Andy (after two of his brothers)
- Billie Joe (also after two of his brothers)
- Rosy Daisy (after his sister who died at a very young age)

He thinks Rosy Daisy is an absolutely beautiful name for a girl. Luckily for my sister, my mom must have have veto authority. Her actual name is much better than any of the ones listed here.

Oh, and I second what someone else said about making sure initials don't spell anything. If I use all three of my initials, they spell BAB. This is unfortunate because Bab or Babs is sometimes short for Barbara. So if I use all three of my initials, people mistakenly think I like to go by Babs, which I absolutely loath. My mom had a really good reason for choosing the name she did for me and, in the end, I wouldn't change it for anything, but I do wish I had better initials.

KimV
01-13-2007, 03:15 AM
Hannah Lee

This is my daughter's name. I will try and make a long story short on why it's my favorite name (besides the obvious).

My husband and I were expecting our first (and only) child. I had problems getting pregnant and it took 7 years to get preg. Anyway, I wanted the middle name "Lee" because it is a tradition for the first born in my family, and I wanted a biblical name. He wanted to name our child after his supervisor and best friend, "Handley." We choose Hannah Lee. I didn't know at the time is what a biblical name.

Anyway, after being told it was in the Bible, I looked up the story of Hannah. She was Samuel's mother. She couldn't have a child, and asked God for one, and promised to turn him over completely to the Lord if he would give her a child.

The story in the Bible is special to me because of our struggle with infertility. I finally agreed to a surgery I was dead set against because of the possibility of having a tubal pregnancy with it. I trusted that this was what God wanted me to do (another long story in itself on how this decision came about). About six weeks after surgery, I got pregnant, and my beautiful daughter is my reminder on trusting God and his promises, and turning it over to God.

well, not exactly short, but I tried :)

suunflowrr
01-13-2007, 05:34 AM
Kim, I loved the story of your Hannah Lee's name! Matter of fact, that story is why we have chosen Samuel for a name if we ever have a son. If we ever have a girl, my heart is set on Presley. Yep. I'm a die hard Elvis fan. We lost a baby several years ago that we named Christian Wesley.

My niece went to school with a boy named Tylenol, "Ty" for short. I thought that was pretty mean, personally.

lizzie3
01-13-2007, 11:41 AM
This topic is so interesting, I love discussing names!

My (current) favourites:
girls - Aurora, Rebecca, Rose
boys - Sebastian, Julian, Jack

EZMONEY
01-13-2007, 09:20 PM
yay. Zappa. Had an old boyfriend that used to call me Wowie Zowie. :)

had to talk to someone today whose last name was McNutt. That was really difficult for me... I guess I'm very immature. :)

HEY LIZZI~ YOU SHOULD BE GLAD IT WASN'T McBALLS!:D

Michelle
01-14-2007, 01:29 AM
LOL!!!!!:s: :lol3: :rofl:

ennay
01-14-2007, 11:27 PM
went to school with a Donald Duck, a William Tell and an Open Weaver. And there were 2 girls, dont remember last names but they were Tuesday Morning something and her sister was Wednesday Evening ..named for conception times. I know Wednesday later on went by "Eve" cause it was the least weird option that was still her name.

but the all time weirdest spelling of a name I ever knew was
Kaethouriin Zhoell (Katherine JoElle)

Dragonfly7
01-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Girls Name: Shayley & Emma

Boys Name: Brayden & Joey

I like different and unusual names, something that isn't way popular but NOTHING that is too crazy either. I think Shayley is a cute name but that's what I named my dog lol, so I couldn't name my child that but I still like that name.

Some weird ones I can think of.... well, I know a guy named "Security"! Which can get pretty confusing when you're out in the store and you "YELL" out his name and 100 mall police start running towards you lol.... :dizzy: I also know somebody named "Robert Roberts" which isn't a horrible name just doesn't go together lol....I also grew up with a girl named "Muphee-Meau" (Muffy-Mo) she has a sister I can't remember her name though but it was "somethingweird-Jo" lol

I work at a daycare center and I have heard a lot of unbelievable names! There is a little girl that goes to the day care but isn't in my classroom and her name is "Haknee" pronoucned (HONEY!) and to make it worse her last name starts with a "B" so when you see her name you see Haknee B. (Honey Bee) lol Just makes me wonder what some of these parents were thinking (If they were actually thinking at all! lol) when they named their kids. As much as I LOVE unusual names, I think some go way too far!:dizzy:

lizziness
01-15-2007, 12:49 AM
hehehe. thanks gary. i guess it could have been worse. :)

i think my folks were clever with my brother.. when they were pregnant that picked out one name that would work either way. For a boy, Andrew. for a girl Anne Drew. Either wait, it would be Andy.

my dad wanted to name me Wolfgang with I was a boy. *WHEW*

Elizabeth04
01-15-2007, 01:19 AM
Kim, that was a beautiful story about your daughter to go with a beautiful name.

I am so glad I stumbled into this thread it's helping me avoid the ice cream in the fridge that I swear is calling me. Anyway, my favorites are:

Girls:
my new niece is named Elizabeth (after me) so of course it's one of my favorites seeing her, though makes me feel unworthy of having the same name she is so beautiful and flawless
Mckenna
Addison
Isobel
Anna
Claire
Jacqueline
Carrie
Sophia

Boys:
Preston
Davis
Matthew
Taylor
James (family name)

KimV
01-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Thanks to all that commented on my daughters name :D I had thought if I ever had a boy I would like to name him Samuel since I now know the story that goes with Hannah and Samuel.

Talking about some strange names for people, my ex went to school with a girl named Crystal Shanda Leer.

I went to school with a boy named Jamie James. And later met a guy named Jeff Jefferies. Often wonered if his name was Jeffery??

My ex-sister-in-law used to be an O.B. nurse, and one of the couples named their newborn Maconium (the bowel movement a baby can have in the womb). They had heard the nurses mention it a few times, and thought it would make a lovely name, even after they were explained what it was. :?:

BerkshireGrl
01-15-2007, 08:01 AM
My ex-sister-in-law used to be an O.B. nurse, and one of the couples named their newborn Maconium (the bowel movement a baby can have in the womb). They had heard the nurses mention it a few times, and thought it would make a lovely name, even after they were explained what it was. :?:

:rofl: Oh... My... God... Hehehehehe...

Well, in Latin, Meconium literally means "poppy juice", like the flower, so maybe this could fly. Although when I first read the definition, I thought it said "poopy juice." :dizzy:

lizziness
01-21-2007, 04:09 AM
sorry to drudge this up again. Was perusing the local online baby album for Peacehealth and came across this winner...

Pacey Dawson.

I mean, okay.. I loved the Creek too, but REALLY?!

aphil
01-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Some of you over in the pregnancy/nursing forum know the stories of my chldren's names...but here they are for the rest of you.

I have a thing with names-I prefer unusual names BUT they have to mean something to me. I won't name a child Symphony Electrique-Lily just because I "liked it". This is the thing that bothers me with unusual names. You ask someone why they named their child that, and they "don't know" they just liked it. If your child is going to be named Archibald Stellar, there better be a story to tell them about it. :lol:

Daughter:

Her name is Jasmine Natane. For those of you who hate atrocious spellings-I apologize for all of mine in advance, but these are the true spellings...not spelled "the way they sound" for convenience sake. ;)
Her first name, Jasmine, is from the song "Summer Breeze". My husband used to listen to a certain cd all the time when we were dating, and there was a cover tune of this song on it. (For those who don't know the song, there is a reference to jasmine in it.) She was not named Jasmine after any Disney film. :lol:
Her middle name, Natane, is pronounced Nu-TAWN-ee. It is a Native American word for "daughter". She is our daughter, and my husband is 1/2 Oglala Sioux.

Son #1:

His name is Raiden Acheta. When I was pregnant, my husband insisted the whole time it was a boy, since we had a girl before. He said "he" all the time, and he nicknamed my belly "Thor" right from the beginning, since it sounded manly. :lol: The baby was shy, and through several ultrasounds he would not show his "parts" so we didn't know. We had a name picked out for a girl, but no boy name. I had been searching and looking...and nothing was "right".

About 3 weeks before I gave birth, we finally found out he was indeed a boy. I went home in a panic! Everything we had was white, yellow, and green...so I went out and bought a couple "boy" clothing items, and frantically searched for a name. Then, it finally happened. I came across "Raiden".

Thor is the Norse god of Thunder in mythology...and Raiden is a god of thunder in Japanese! So, essentially, his name IS Thor, after my husband's little nickname. Acheta, his middle name, is also Native American. It means "warrior" because, well, his first name IS Thor... :lol: It is pronounced Uh-KAY-tuh. (Once again, it is the proper spelling of the word-not a harder spelling I am giving a normal name to make it difficult-like someone spelling Allison, "Alicyn" instead.)

Son #2:

Our baby is named Saber Phoenix Tyree.
My husband is a huge sci-fi and horror fan. He collects B horro films, and has been a Star Wars fan since birth. In fact, we are both in the 501st, if any of you are familiar with them.
My husband has always gunned for a Star Wars name-but no way in heck was I using the over-used Anakin, Luke, or what have you. :lol: So, I came up with Saber instead. I also perform sword balancing acts, so there is sort of a double tribute there.
His middle names are a tribute to my deceased grandmother. Something that really ticks me off, was in a recent baby name book, the name "Tyree" was listed as a "popular NEW concocted name, with African American descent"-basically saying it was a made up name. This is not true. (I almost wrote the book company, to give them the correct information.)
Tyree was my grandmother's maiden name, and it is of Scottish descent. (Once in America, there were different spellings of it-such as Tyre.) It is a Scottish surname.
My grandmother passed away a few years ago, and I wanted to honor her memory in my new baby's name. The first middle name, Phoenix, is because of the myth of the magical bird, the Phoenix. This is the bird who bursts into flame when it passes away, and then reincarnates itself as a new baby, rising from its own ashes. I would like to think there are pieces of my grandmother in my children somewhere...especially in Saber, because she never got to meet him. :)

Glory87
01-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't understand the American fascination with naming little girls "Mc" something (McKenzie, McKenna). Mc means "son of!"

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp/sId./kbId.94/qx/knowledgebase.htm
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19961219
http://www.dwalker.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/page127.htm

Trixie14
01-23-2007, 01:01 PM
There are so many names that I like...

Girls

Nevaeh (heaven backwards, pronounced Nehv-ah)
Echo
Natalee (Natalia, Nathalie)
Anika
Endora
Grace (Gracee, Gracie)
Britney
Dylan
Luna
Kayleigh
Angel (Angelina)
Mackenzie
Madison
Gwen (Gwendolyn, Guienevere)
Isabelle (Isabella)
Ava
Padmé (Star wars)
Emilee
Novalee
Serenity
Serena
Iridessa (The name of my Night Elf Hunter on the game World of Warcraft...pretty sure I made this one up and I love it)

I could go on and on and on and on and on...lol I've been thinking of baby names since I was very young, however there seems to be many more girl names that I like rather than boys...

Boys

Logan
Sebastian
Benjamin
Sean
Aiden
Noah
Hayden
Anakin (yes, from star wars lol)
Nicholas

I also like Jonathan James and Kristopher Lee for boys, since before me, my mom was pregenant with twin boys, and those were there names. She had a miscarriage b/c of her and my dad's blood types, her blood was attacking the babies, the doctor my mom had at the time never picked up on it and said it was normal for her to be losing weight instead of gaining. My mom said when they were born they were so small they could fit into the palm of your hand, she wasn't full term when they were born of course..one had already passed when they were born, the other passed shortly after, so it would be nice to name my son, if I have one, after one of them. Although that might be hard, since in my boyfriend's family its a tradition to give sons their fathers and grandfathers first names as middle names, and my boyfriend is dead set on following tradition...

snuggle
01-23-2007, 02:13 PM
I really like Evelyn for a girl and Gabriel for a guy. :cool:

Linds81
01-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Kennedy and Jakob

shrinkingchica
01-23-2007, 09:02 PM
My fav boys name.......Guy.
I am just afraid that in America it is a bit unusual and I am wary of the teasing prospects.........

JackieB
01-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I went to highschool with a London and Brooklyn Bridges.

DF went to school with a Tequilla, Margarita and Colada. No joke...maybe the type of alcohol they were conceived with? :D

Gamerchick
01-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Well...my sister recently had a baby and she named the baby after both of our grandma's...Lily is the first name of one of my grandma's...and the middle name of my other grandma, Ann, was somewhat used.

So the baby's name is Liliana.

XD As for my baby's name...I would be mean and name the girl Zelda, and the boy something like Link...

XD

Indychick829
01-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Jumping in on the bandwagon here...

I'm always thinking about names because I'm HUGE into my genealogy.

and I don't have kids yet - but when i do - I alraedy have my first girl's name:

Casimera - it's Polish and is my great-aunt(and godmother's) first name. She was named after her grandfather (my great-great grandfather, Casimer) that side of the family came over from Warsaw, Poland.

And - while it IS a very popular name now, the name EMMA has been in my family for many many generations - on my mother's side - both her father's and mother's sides...including my grandmother.

Antoinette or TONI - this is my other grandmother (father's mom)'s name.

i'm still not sure HOW I'll put them together...I keep thinking "Casimera Emma" but the truth is - both my boyfriend and I have 2 middle names...so - if things keep going the way they are 'tween us and in the future I have kids with him - I may as well give my kids 2 middle names.
Mine is: Keri-Ann (first name) Marie (middle name)
his: Daniel (first name) Jason Lee (middle names)

so:
Casimera
Antoinette
Emma
Eleanor
Jean
(all family names)
and my non-family name:
Lily

boys:
Julian (non-family just really like it)
Edward (family)
Giles (family)

lizziness
01-24-2007, 10:49 PM
hehehe. Neveah ... you like it for the same reason i don't like it.

I love the name Emma, I named my kittie Emma, after Emma Goldman the Anarchist. :)

Guy is a family name on my hubby's side of the family. So is Gene. I don't really like either of those ... but before Tristan became very popular in this area for girls I thought Tristan Gene sounded good for a boy.

ritahayworth
01-25-2007, 04:12 AM
Girls: Guisele, Kyle, Andrea, Suzanne
Guys: Jacob, Luke, Landon, Casey

aphil
01-25-2007, 08:29 AM
That is so funny the different tastes in names everyone has...especially the popularity of some of the names. For instance, old fashioned names like Emma are really popular again-even Rachel on Friends named her baby Emma. For some reason, though, I always see an "Emma" as an older woman, and not as a little girl.

lizziness
01-25-2007, 12:22 PM
gamerchick... ehehehehe... that is amusing. and sounds exactly like something my brother would say. he is Zelda obsessed. :)

Glory - i live here and I don't get the McBaby thing either. Seems like there are going to be a lot of confused teachers soon...

bandit2
01-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Zacchery for a boy

Gemini for either

sz2atheart
01-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Working as a pediatric nurse, I'm heard several names that makes one wonder if the mothers were on crack...

Twins---Lemonjello (pronounded la-mon-ja-low) and Orangejello. I swear it's the truth!! Another set of twins...Roy Roger & John Wayne.

A mother who swore that she heard the most beautiful name after she delivered her baby girl---Placenta! (must have been the drugs)

A baby in the intensive care unit called---Myson. And yes he was a boy!

Lastly...this one is my all time favorite...S**thead (pronounced Shi-theed)

improbable
01-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Have any of you read Freakonomics? There's an entire chapter devoted to naming trends and how they are directly correlated to education levels and race of the parents (analyzed separately). Misspellings in particular are usually a sign of low education parents, and apparently there is a much wider range of names in African American families than in white families. This isn't moralistic, its simply looking at the statistical data and showing the relationships. For instance, top twenty white girl names that best signify low education parents - Angel (11.38 years of average maternal education), Heaven, Misty, Destiny, Brenda, Tabatha, Bobbie, Brandy, Destinee, Cindy, Jazmine, Shyanne, Britany, Mercedes, Tiffanie, Ashly, Tonya, Crystal, Brandie, and Brandi (12.17 years of average maternal education). Anyway, there's a TON of really interesting information in the book, not just about names - you should all go out and buy it immediately:)

improbable
01-27-2007, 07:46 PM
I second the not naming kids wiht all the same letter - Being an RRR myself. In fact, RR is my double last name from my father, E is the middle initial, and my mother kept her maiden name... so I exist as like 10 people according to the SAT board, for instance. *sigh*

canadian mom
01-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Well my kids names aren't all that usuall but I love them (obviously). My name is Jennifer and In my High School (of over 3000 students) in one class ther were 3 Jennifer's and 1 Jenny, 2 of us Jennifer's had the same last name and middle initial.

DD#1 is Ocean (got this from an actress on a show when I was a kid, I saw it and said I would name my kid that and I did) Mae (family name passed down )

DD#2 is Katarina Elizabeth, her name is not all that unsuall not too many people here have it but evryone skips the second a

DS is Jayden Malcolm, for him it was between Jayden and Jansen and I got out voted.

DD#3 is Aurora Marie, I loved this name and they hubby spent 2 pregnacies practicing it (he doesn't like Isabella)

I wanted somthing positive for all my kids so if a name had a negative meaning to it I will not use it. All middle names are passed down they mine(Mae), my husbands(Malcolm) and my sister's(Marie passed down on my dad's side) middle names and my ex's grandmother's name,Elizabeth. She passeed away 10 days before I had Ocean but the oldest Daughter was getting my middle name so I gave it to my second.

Another boy name I have always liked was Sebastien but the hubby and his ex had s names and planned on naming their kids 's' names so that ruined it for me.

aphil
01-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I did a lot of research on names before I had my first baby, and one of the biggest faux pas in naming a kid, is having the same amount of syllables paired with the same sounding endings, such as:

~Kelly Richey

~Sampson Carson

~Tonya Banya

It makes them too "sing-songy".

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Came across another winner at work:

Scyyangel Kerrmartinez.

improbable
01-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Sabra, can I just say how much I LOVE your name (I happen to wish I were a native born israeli myself...) and its one of my favorites for a girl, one day?

folkbluesfey
02-01-2007, 02:31 AM
Alice. After the band Alice in Chains, lol.

I'd like to name all my kids after bands, songs and/or musicians. :D