Exercise! - I need exercise advice!

View Full Version : I need exercise advice!

collegegirl89
01-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I want to start at agym but I have no idea where to start once I do. What exercises to do, how many of them to do, or at what level? I won't even know how to work the machines. I want to join but all the questions are buzzing around in my head. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Is Curves or the Y better, the Y is less expensive but is it as comfortable a setting as Curves is supposed to be?

ennay
01-07-2007, 06:06 PM
when you join, get a few sessions with a personal trainer, they will show you how to work the equipment, assess your current fitness levels and recommend appropriate exercises

personally I would go for the Y for a more varied selection.

Sheila53
01-07-2007, 06:48 PM
I suggest the Y, also. They probably have a lot more activities and equipment. They also probably have fitness staff who will orient you to equipment and set you up with a fitness program. When I lived in Seattle, I belonged to a Y, and was very happy with the staff and facility. It had great programs for all ages, too. And please don't worry about being uncomfortable in a co-ed facility, or where you feel other people are so much smaller. I started at the Y when I weighed 261 lbs. and never felt uncomfortable. I noticed that nobody was staring at me--people were concerned about their own workouts and didn't care about mine. After that first day, all my discomfort about going to the gym melted away. :)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Ilene
01-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Oh yes, go with the Y, after 6 months of Curves the lack of variety will bore you and you'll reach a weight loss plateau quicker than varying your workouts at a real gym. I also agree to get all those buzing questions answered by a trainer at the gym, they'll be more than happy to answer all your questions...

thintowin
01-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Yes, definitely go with the Y for the best results. It would be well worth the money to sign up for 1-3 personal training sessions. You will learn so much from getting one for a few weeks.

judydc
01-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Collegegirl, it's really an individual thing....before you sign up for a Y or any gym, ask for a pass so that you can check it out during the times you're most likely to go, so you can see what the vibe is like, see if there's a wait for the machines you'd be using, etc. I would also ask about the range and choice of trainers. The last gym I belonged to had terrible trainers, they didn't seem to konw how to individualize their trainings and weren't very focused. Curves are great for ladies who are really self-conscious about working out in a public place or who don't have much experience working out. The Curves circuit can be boring after a while, but some women go to them for a few years before moving on to a "real" gym.

I started out at home by ordering videos from Collage. At this point I mix up the videos with lots of walking and going to Curves 2-3 times a week. I tend to be good about doing cardio on my own, but the Curves circuit has resistance training, so now I do those and do weights, lunges, etc, on my own. If I'm half-way to this year's goal by mid-summer, I will sign up for a full-service gym in July when the rates are really cheap. I miss the spa options at a club!

Good luck!

judy

Celestyna
01-07-2007, 08:49 PM
I know when I joined Curves a few years ago I was kind of dissapointed. It seems as if it's meant to get you moving if you havne't really moved before. The machines at the two I attended basically were hydraulic pump systems which if your muscles were in ok shape, you had to pump really fast in order to get any decent resistance. It led to a lot of jerking and I felt kinda stupid.
Maybe they have different machines at different gyms.
The crowd seemed to be waaaay older at both of my Curves.

I finally realized that I was just joining that for my own insecurity at working out at such a heavy size, but I joined a regular gym and it's fun as ****. i even went up to the powerlifting room a few times and worked out with those steroid dudes. it was fun.

i wish our Y wasn't in the boonies, they have all the coolest classes. alas, i'm too broke for anything now .

sportmom
01-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Our Y is sooo friendly and there are people of all ages AND all sizes, which people are so accepting of and encouraging to. Plus, if you are truly a college student, they will have a really cheap rate for you, monthly, without a joining fee. I just heard them explain that to someone the other day, so make sure to ask for it. Think you just need a current college id. You will get a free eval/orientation with a p/t when you join, plus, there are frequently additional free group classes you can take for aerobic conditioning or weight training.