Cooking Tips and Questions - imitation crab- help!

View Full Version : imitation crab- help!

susie_sunshine
01-07-2007, 03:33 PM
:?: Does anyone have any recipe ideas for imitation crab?

Luminous
01-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Nothing low fat, really, but I like corn and crab bisque (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Corn-and-Crab-Bisque/Detail.aspx). I also use it in a crab dip I make for special occasions that you dip tortilla chips into.

You could also make a "salad" of it like you do with tuna for sandwiches and the like, though I haven't tried that yet.

Spinymouse
01-07-2007, 04:42 PM
I really like that fake crab stuff. It goes well on a green salad and also in an asian-flavor vegetable stir fry over brown rice.
Some sushi restaruants use it instead of real crab in their california rolls; I have done that too; making my own california rolls using fake crab and brown rice instead of white sushi rice.

susie_sunshine
01-13-2007, 08:29 PM
I found i like it better cold than warm. I put it in a stir fry and it was ok. I love it on salad or in sushi

Zeitgeist
01-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I'd addicted to imitation crab, probably to an unhealthy level, lol. I usually put it in stir-fries as well, however, I've noticed that it has a tendency to stick to the pan, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

Sometimes I eat it plain on top of crackers, while other times I just layer it on bread for a quick sandwich. It is good in spinach salads with a little feta and some cranberries and I've also put it on top of nachos, though that is not a healthy recipe whatsoever.

Truthfully, I throw it into most everything I make. I'm currently contemplating putting it in the spinach soup I just made.

Like I said, I'm addicted to the stuff.

just_a_dreamy1
01-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Susie,

The imitation crab at my grocery store has sugar and other questionable stuff in it, so I've been kinda iffy about eating it since...

What does the stuff that you use have in it? What brand is it?

I know that imitation crab is used in the Subway Seafood Sensation, and I LOVE that sandwich. I have it very rarely, though, because they load the crab with mayo.

susie_sunshine
01-17-2007, 02:34 PM
honestly, i never really looked at what was in it. I know that it is Pollock... but i'm sure there must be some mysterious things in it

snm409
01-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Pollock probably isn't that bad for you. I have never bought it but I have purchased some "crab" dips that had pollock in it.

I have a great crab dip recipe that you can substitute fat free cream cheese and it would be a great little appetizer served with veggies or whole wheat crackers.

8-12 oz of crab/pollock -- I like to use smoked salmon (high in Omega's)
8 oz pkg cream cheese (fat free, low fat or regular)
1 T lime juice
splash of milk
couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp salt (I like to use onion salt) (eyeball it)
1/8 tsp pepper (eyeball it)
1 clove chopped garlic or a heaping tsp of minced garlic (jar)
* could add a small dash of hot sauce (gives great flavor)
* could add some chives

Mix it all together and chill for a couple of hours before serving.
I make this with smoked salmon (get it at the local meat market) and it is fabulous, low fat/carb & the salmon is so good for you.

susie_sunshine
01-17-2007, 04:18 PM
sounds good! thanks!

snm409
01-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh yeah, I think pollock is a little high in cholesterol! But I guess salmon is, too!

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c2140.html