South Beach Diet - What are you reading in 2007?

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : What are you reading in 2007?

rebel
01-06-2007, 11:39 AM
I just read In Case We're Separated by Alice Mattison

This was an excellent book of interrelated short stories. It looks at a family of Jewish immigrants in the 1920's and follows their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. The first story is set in 1954, and the others go backwards and forwards from there.

At the end is a note to the reader which made me want to start over and read it again. (I did reread the first 2 stories.) : "This book's thirteen stories imitate in prose the thirteen stanzas of a double sestina, using repeated topics or tropes in something like the way a sestina - the poetic form used in the story "Brooklyn Sestina" - uses repeated words. In the changing order prescribed by the sestina pattern, each story includes a glass of water, a sharp point, a cord, a mouth, an exchange, and a map that may be wrong."

Fabulous book. I wish I'd asked for this instead of the books I got for xmas. I want to read everything she's ever written.

finallyready07
01-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm reading many books. (I'm a fanatic.)
The Levels of Creation ~ Sylvia Browne
Eat to Live
YOU on a Diet
The Book Thief
Stargirl
Life as we knew it
The Naked Roomate: And 107 other tips for surviving College
Cathy's Book

little chick
01-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I am reading a Nora Roberts book about angels. I love her books.

RNMOM
01-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Right now I'm trying to cram in some FUN reading before my last semester starts in a few days.

I'm reading Eragon, Sugar Busters, Prevention and I'm getting ready to start reading "Critical Care Nursing" Blech! That's when the fun reading will stop and I have to try and remember stuff:p

Kim_Star060404
01-06-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm reading The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu (translated by Royall Tyler). I've only read through the intro, but tonight I plan on really getting into it!

Ruthxxx
01-06-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm reading YOU on a Diet - in bits and pieces and have just started Charlotte Gray's Flint and Feather, a biography of Pauline Johnson. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Johnson)

I am planning a library trip on Tuesday and will pick out a couple of "fun" reads - maybe the newest Elizabeth George. In the meantime I have three unread issues of New Yorker.

sierra_ttw
01-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I just got back from the library - I don't start my new job until the 16th, so I've got a few books to go through. I'm reading Warrior's Honour, which is about what gives rise to ethnic warfare and its effect on the North American conscience, Running with Scissors (kinda like James Frey's books - no interest in it until I found out it might be mostly fabricated and not a memoir at all), The Pursuit of Happiness, and The Janissary Tree.
I'm so excited to be working rather than in school, because I won't feel as if my every waking moment should be spent on homework, and I can read in the evenings without feeling guilty!

jetsetter
01-06-2007, 01:08 PM
I also tend to read more than one at a time. Yesterday I finished The Tuesday Erotica Club by Lisa Beth Kovetz. Then there are Dr. Phil's Love Smart because I'm love stupid and, of course, the South Beach Diet book that came on Thursday. Anxiously awaiting the arrival of Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns...reading that one with a book club. Not sure what else I'll pick up. I have a few leadership/self-help books in a box that I haven't read yet, so maybe I'll pick up one of those.

rebel
01-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I've got 3 books waiting for me to pick up at the library -
by Jenna Blum
S is for silence by Sue Grafton
and [url=http://www.amazon.com/Red-Tent-Anita-Diamant/dp/0312353766/sr=1-2/qid=1168110949/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-1612619-6616625?ie=UTF8&s=books] The Red Tent (http://www.amazon.com/Those-Who-Save-Jenna-Blum/dp/0156031663/sr= Those Who Save Us[/url) by Anita Diamant

rebel
01-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I want to try again:
Those Who Save Us (http://www.amazon.com/Those-Who-Save-Jenna-Blum/dp/0156031663/sr=8-1/qid=1168110586/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-1612619-6616625?ie=UTF8&s=books)

amasam
01-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I just finished The Thirteenth Tale - which I enjoyed.

Next up is The Ravenscar Dynasty - Barbara Taylor Bradford (I have read every book she has written!)
or
Into Temptation - Penny Vincenzi (third in a series, which I have read and enjoyed.)

In the meantime I am catching up ont he pile of magazines, I am addicted to subscribing!

Bionic Beach Babe
01-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I am reading "The Bible Jesus Read" by Yancey...Finished reading His and Dr. Paul Brands book called "The gift of Pain" and "Where is God When It Hurts" A good lighter book I am reading is "The Red Hat Club Rides Again" by Haywood Smith...a good fun book.

jetsetter
01-06-2007, 08:43 PM
It's so fun to see the variety in book choices. :)

annarenee
01-06-2007, 11:45 PM
I am in the middle of two books:

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs and Cell by Stephen King.

I hope to have both of these finished in the next few weeks. I have a laundry list of books I would like to read :)

soon2Bfab
01-07-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm currently reading "You on a Diet".....my next book "For One More Day" by Mitch Albom (he also wrote "The Five People You Meet In Heaven")

Schatzi
01-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Ho Hum, I'm with RNMom reading for school. A rabble rousing page turner called Mastering Project Management. School interrupted a wonderful series I just started called The Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. My gfren was kind enough to box up her 7 books and send them to me when she heard that I GASP never heard of it...:lol: I can't wait to get back to it!

beachgal
01-08-2007, 02:50 PM
:cheer2: YAY for all you great readers that started up a new thread! :cheer2: You ROCK!!! :grouphug:

I can't believe we're onto a second page and I haven't posted in this thread... :o Shows how long I've been gone on vacation! :eek:

Right now, I'm reading Cell by Stephen King...After that, I want to re-read Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix. Then it's Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner and He's Just Not That Into You.

That should get me through the end of January :)

So, Annarenee...how you doing on that list? ;) Actually, I had to copy this post from the old reading thread because I think your choice of books to read after Cell is great! Everyone knows how much I loved Good in Bed, and He's Just Not that Into You is not only good for all of us (married or single) to better understand current (and past!) relationships, but also for our other relationships, especially friendships! Reading it helped me stand up for myself in a relationship with a dear friend and things are MUCH better now! :D Enjoy!

Ooh, I've done so much reading lately! Here are some of the books:

Heaven Knows, by Jillian Hart, an inspirational romance about a woman on the run from her abusive fiance who finds solace and love with a widowed man and his daughter. It was sweet and good!

The Return Journey , by Maeve Binchy, a book of many short stories that, of course, take place in Ireland. :) I love her books and always think I've read them all, until I find one that I missed, and rejoice! :D Thankfully, she's a prolific writer.

I'm currently reading:

You: The Owner's Manual This is great!!! So easy to read but SOOO full of information!

The Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd (of Secret Life of Bees Fame) This is a book about how Sue realized after years of fervent involvment in her church and writing as a Christian woman, that she felt a lack of connection with the female spiritual in herself, in her faith, in her church, and in her world. The book is the story of her journey to awakening as a spiritual woman. Hard to describe...she didn't stop becoming a Christian...she just realized that she was missing the female side of her Christianity. It's a fantastic book...mine is covered with Post-it flags and highlighting!

The Quest for Peace, Love, and a 24" Waist, by Deborah Low, my sister gave me this for Christmas...someone on here recomended it and I put it on my wish list. :) It's fantastic! Like Kidd's book, it's covered in Post-it flags and highlighting...but I can't go any farther in it until I write my story in my journal...that's the first of three exercises that she asks you to do.

A Lover's Almanac got this at a used book sale and it sounded intriguing. It's a bit scattered and sometimes hard to follow, but slim and has great character portraits, so I'm sticking with it, for now.

Okay, I'm off to read this thread and respond to what you're reading! :write: :mag:

beachgal
01-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Wow, Rebel...the book by Mattison sounds amazing! Being of Russian Jewish descent, it sounds particularly fascinating to me, personally! It's on my list of books to read. Thanks! :D I love Sue Grafton...her books take place in Santa Barbara and she often discribes cities where I've lived or worked, like Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks. :) The Red Tent is a huge favorite in this forum!

:welcome3: finallyready07, from a fellow fanatic! Why did you choose these books? Tell us more about them (and if they are good! )! :)

LITTLE CHICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: :hug: :cloud9: :cheer2: I'm SO excited to see you...it's been FOREVER!!!!!!!!!! I love Nora Roberts, too.

RNmom...it's good to see you too! :hug: You crack me up about the fun and not-so-fun reading. ;) Enjoy!

Ooh, Ruth, I'm with you on magazines...I have so many to read! :faint:

Sierra, great choices...sound fascinating! It's much more fun to work than to be in school when it comes to having time to read!!! :cloud9: My book club toyed with reading Running With Scissors but just didn't think we could stomach it. Wonder if it would have helped to hear that it's not all true? :chin:

Hey, Jetsetter! What was Tuesday Erotica Club about? Sounds intriguing! :flame: I like Dr. Phil's books...I'm partway through Self Matters, then had to read something else and haven't gotten back to it. Ooh...can't wait to hear how Cold Sassy Tree is...I'd like our group to read that one, too!

Soon2be, I can't wait to read that Albom book!

Sounds like a lot of us are reading or planning to read You: On a Diet. I bought it at Sam's the other day and it's on my list too. I think there might be a lot in that diet and Bob Greene's new diet that we could incorporate with SBD in terms of emotional issues and eating healthy. :chin: What do you think?

Kim_Star060404
01-08-2007, 03:43 PM
soon2Bfab: Have you read Mitch Albom's Tuesdays With Morrie yet? I LOVED that book. It was required for an english course in college and I dreaded it at first (my professor gave us a HORRIBLE description of it the first week of class). I read it in one night! It is one of the few books from college that I didn't sell back to the bookstore!

annarenee
01-08-2007, 04:06 PM
@Beachgal: Well, I am having trouble making it through Cell, so I started reading Running with Scissors. I'm going to read the other books I had listed...after I make it though these two (which I hope will be soon) :D

soon2Bfab
01-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Kim, not yet, but I am sure I will eventually. Thanks for the idea.

JessieW
01-09-2007, 09:40 AM
I've recently read:
The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella--Really fun, I read it all in one night because I couldn't stop! Great chicklit, I loved it. :)
Julie and Julia by Julie Powell--I thought this was totally worth the hype. It's the memoir about a girl who cooks through all of the recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child in one year. SO great. Read it!

Right now I'm reading: Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish, Chocolate Chip Cooking Murder by Joanne Fluke. After I am done the next ones on the list are Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult, The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, and Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott.

PS I am reviewing a diet book for a Web site, it's called The Feel-Good Diet. Please don't buy it! I don't feel like it's a very healthy diet. Stick with South Beach. :)

KnitALisa
01-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I just finished The Thirteenth Tale - which I enjoyed.
Oh, I loved that book!! One of my favorites; I've already read it about 8 times. I'm totally in love with Dr. Clifton, even though he's on the sidelines a bit.

I also just finished The Woman in White. In true 19th century fashion, it's a bit wordy, but oh so excellent. Deliciously suspenseful.

Another Nora Roberts fan here! Do ya'll read Susan Elizabeth Phillips too? She's another one of my favs.

I'm on a bit of a non-fiction kick, so right on the heels of finishing Citizen Soldiers, I'm in the middle of another Stephen Ambrose D-Day. After that, The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchman awaits me.

rebel
01-09-2007, 01:43 PM
I really enjoyed Julie and Julia.

Plain Truth is right up there in my short list of best books of all time! I've read everything Jodi Picoult has written.

JessieW
01-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Rebel, I'm working on reading Jodi Picoult's full works! This year I've read My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, and The Tenth Circle. She just obviously does so much research to make her books SO believable...just love them! The Tenth Circle was a little strange for me, but I did devour it in two days!

rebel
01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Jessie, a journalist friend of mine interviewed Jodi a couple of years ago. Jodi said Plain Truth was her "cleanest" book, as in she got it back from the editor with only two clarification notes in it.

She actually lived with an Amish family for a few weeks to research Amish life. I love that she gets so into it with her research, especially when she went out with the ghost hunters for "Second Glance."

beachgal
01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Tuesdays with Morrie is definitely a must-read. I approached it as one of those 'brussel sprouts' kind of books...you know, the kind you know you should read but you really, really don't wanna... :p :lol3: Anyways, it turned out to be really fantastic! One of the few books that lives up to its reputation. :)

What do you think of Running With Scissors, Anna? Someone said recently that most of it isn't true and I think that might make me more likely to enjoy it, but I'm still seeing it as a 'brussel sprouts' book for now. ;) Let me know what you think!

Jessie, when I was little, I had a dear friend who was also an avid reader. We used to get together at the mall, buy bags of Jelly Bellies at the candy store and books at the bookstore and then sit on a bench together, eating our candy and telling each other whenever we got to good parts in our books. I have a feeling if you and I were ever in the same place, we'd be like that...only we'd be eating roasted chickpeas or something healthy. ;) :hug: I love hearing about what you're reading! I've wanted to read Julie and Julia for a while...thanks for giving me further inspiration. :idea: I envy you the experiences of reading Plain Truth and The Birth of Venus for the first time. Plain Truth is absolutely mind-bendingly fantastic. You will drool. Really. The movie version isn't half bad, btw. Venus is really good as well...and I loooove the cover. It's gorgeous. Enjoy!

ObviousChild, I LOVE your avatar and the comment under your name. You're a hoot! :lol3: YAY for you for reading The Woman in White. One of my favorite all-time authors is Sarah Waters and she named Wilkie Collins (the author) as one of her biggest inspirations. I haven't read Moonstone yet, but it's on my list. I loved Woman in White, and was interested to read that it was one of the first 'mystery' novels ever written. :D Did you know that Andrew Lloyd Webber made a musical out of it two years ago? It did well in London, but not in NYC, sadly. :(

You know, I never paid attention to the author with Jodi Picoult! I obviously should have...didn't know she wrote many books, but I have read My Sister's Keeper (I think?) and loved it...hmmm. What are her other books about? What made Tenth Circle strange, Jessie? I love that she lived with an Amish family, Rebel! :D That so shows in the novel...it's amazingly real!

Okay, so Lover's Almanac honestly reads like the author was taking hallucinogenics at the same time as she was writing...but it didn't work out as well for her as opium did for Lewis Caroll. :( I've posted it on PaperbackSwap and moved on to the book for my book club, which is Tracy Kidder's Mountains Beyond Mountains, a non-fiction book about Dr. Paul Farmer's work with the poor in Haiti. It's absolutely addictive and amazing! I couldn't possibly do it justice with a description, but if you care at all about our world, those who suffer, or just want inspiration, you have to read this book. It's just phenomenal!!!

rebel
01-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Jodi Picoult's website (http://jodipicoult.com/) Scroll down to the bookcovers, and click on them for a synopsis (and other things as well.)

JessieW
01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Laurie, I love that! I think we would be the same way. :) True booklovers at heart. In The Tenth Circle, Picoult's main character was a father who was a comic book artist. So she inserts these comic book pages in the novel. It just didn't click with me. I did enjoy the story though. I am so glad to hear that about Birth of Venus! I have been waiting to read it forever! What's your screen name on paperback swap? I live on that site. :) Mine is jessielynn.

So I started reading Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott even though I haven't finished any of my other books! But I love her. Her nonfiction is so fun. I am still amused that I like it so much, because I am rather staunchly conservative and she is raving liberal. But she is so interesting and zealous for life! I don't care much for her fiction, but her book on writing, Bird by Bird, is the best one of all time in my opinion!

JessieW
01-15-2007, 03:09 PM
bumping...
I finished Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish. If you love girly friendship books, you will love this one! It is a treasure and a treat to devour. Her writing is beautiful and it's sort of...mystical, almost, like Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Less back story, more living in the moment. Really wonderful, A+, you should read it. :)

annarenee
01-15-2007, 04:46 PM
BEACHGAL I think Running With Scissors is enjoyable so far. Even though it says memoir on the cover...I have a hard time believing it to be all true. I plan to read a big chunk of it tonight...I'll let you know if my thoughts change :)

Kim_Star060404
01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
OHMIGOSH!! This book (The Tale of Genji) is going take SOOOOO long to read!! I officially got into it Saturday night and have only read through page 25! It's so weird! I've never really read a book that I couldn't just zoom through. I think the biggest hindrances are the footnotes. There's an average of five per page and most of them are a full sentence or definition. All I've got to say is; this book better be good!!!

beachgal
01-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Kim, isn't that so frustrating! :rolleyes: I always feel like I need to read every footnote and it distracts from the flow of reading, so it takes forever. Hope you get into the swing of it soon or it starts feeling like it's worth the effort!

Thanks for the wonderful recommendation, Jessie. I've added Annie Freeman... to my list of books to read. Sounds like such fun...as do all the books you read! Good for you on being able to read other political view points. I tend to get all fired up and upset when I read views that are drastically different than mine. :o I'm not sure what my nickname is on Paperback...I log in with my e-mail. I'll try finding you instead...okay? :D

Anna, let me know what you think of Running... I'm interested. :write:

Ciaran60
01-17-2007, 07:02 PM
I loved Running with Scissors! I can believe the author wrote about (I use to be a psych nurse and can envision the craziness). I ended up picking up his next book Dry which is on my list to read next.

~Robin

JessieW
01-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Had to bump this up to say I finished The Birth of Venus yesterday and I absolutely loved it! Definitely enchanting. :) I started Scent to Her Grave by India Ink, which is a cozy mystery--a good light read before I dive into Jodi Picoult!

beachgal
01-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Jessie, I'm so glad you enjoyed the Birth of Venus as much as I did! :cloud9: I'm jealous of the fun reading you're doing...I'm feeling guilty about all the books I've started and not finished, but they are all nonfiction and part of me just wants to read some 'guilty pleasure' books...but the nonfiction are mostly from the library, so I feel committed to finishing them first. Sigh! Guess they're right...so many books, so little time! :lol:

Ciaran, I can believe that it could be true, but if it was, I'm not so interested in reading it. I don't know if that makes sense. There's just so much sadness and mental illness in the world today...I don't think I can handle reading about more unless I think it's just fiction. :shrug: I think I'm into escapism as of late... :chin:

I finished Mountains Beyond Mountains for my book group. It's fantastic! About halfway through, I had to take a little break and I read some magazines for a little bit. But it was really amazing and the hardest part was that it ended in the middle of the story...I have to take the time to do some research and see what Dr. Paul has been doing since the book came out in 2003. :mag: I'm looking forward to discussing it with the book group. We're going to pick a couple of books for our next couple meetings and I'm going with a huge list of ideas. :devil:

Now I'm reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. I saw the movie back when it came out, or shortly thereafter, but never read the book. Now I've heard that there's a lot in the book that wasn't shown in the movie, so I'm reading it. Interesting book...funny and quirky with lots of flavor. There's a quote on the back that says, "If Idgie Threadgoode were around at the right time, I do believe Huckleberry Finn would have tried to marry her!" I think that's a great way to describe her character...she's crazy and wild and wonderful. :D

KO
01-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi :) I just finished a book called Uglies By scott Westerfeld Its a YA book I have been working on my own YA piece and like to see peoples styles its about a future world where at 16 everyone has extreme plastic surgery to make themselves pretty. It was a pretty amazing look at People (not even just teens) and Body Image I'm hoping to read the other 2 books in the trilogy!
Kier

weezle
01-25-2007, 10:31 AM
I just finished 4 books since I was on vacation, and am about to start a 5th that my brother recommended to me....

I read Roses are Red and Hide and Seek by James Patterson.

Also read Octopus Alibi and Gumbo Limbo by Tom Corcoran. Soon2B, as much as you loved Key West, you really should read his books. Start with Gumbo Limbo, then Bone Island Mambo, then Octopus Alibi. There are two others that I haven't read yet, one being his newest and one other that fits in there somewhere. They're mysteries based in Key West and the main character, Alex Rutledge, talks about where he lives, goes to eat (Turtle Kraals,) meets friends for drinks (Sloppy Joe's,) etc. They're really cool books if you want to get to know a little more about Key West and the culture down there, as well as be entertained by suspenseful mysteries.

The one my brother recommended was 23 Minutes in **** by Bill Wiese. It's supposedly a true story about a Christian man who was dropped into **** for 23 minutes and then after speaking with God, returned to earth to get the message out about ****, what it's like, how scary it is, etc. The author includes Scripture to back up the things he saw. It sounded really interesting and my brother and mom really enjoyed it. I need to get it from my mom.

beachgal
01-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Wow, Weezle, you are widely read, which is so cool! Let me know about the 23 mins book...sounds fascinating. Though I can't help but wonder...why 23 minutes? Why not 22 or 24? ;)

Kier, that book sounds awesome! I'd love to check it out. Have you read Star Girl? That's one of my favorite YA books for girls. :)

weezle
01-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Beachgal, as soon as I read it, I'll let you know how it goes... I don't know why it was only 23 minutes. Maybe God tells him and it's explained in the book. Apparently it felt like days but when he ended up back home, only 23 minutes had gone by. I guess it really freaked out Mom and Ryan. I'm excited to read it.

Will definitely let you know! :D

JessieW
01-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Sounds a little frightening. And strange. How does one get dropped into ****? Anyway!

I just finished Scent to Her Grave by India Ink, a cute little cozy mystery. I found the characters realistic and entertaining. A good, short read.

Now I am reading She's All That by Kristin Billerbeck. She writes Christian chicklit. This is the first in her SpaGirls series. I can't put it down! Love her writing. :)

JessieW
01-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Yes, I am a reading addict. It took me 2 days to devour She's All That. I love Kristin Billerbeck. Then I jumped into Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult and all I want to do is stay home and read it. I tend to be like that with her books...I just can't stop reading! I knew better than to bring it to work because I might just ignore work and read instead...

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend. :)

rebel
01-29-2007, 06:19 PM
I've done a lot of reading in the last 10 days.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

S is for Silence by Sue Grafton- I thoroughly enjoyed this. It had been enough time since I read whatever R was, or else this one really is a little better, fresher than the rest.

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum.-The narrative alternates between the present-day story of Trudy, a history professor at a Minneapolis university collecting oral histories of WWII survivors (both German and Jewish), and that of her aged but once beautiful German mother, Anna, who left her country when she married an American soldier.

It's a Girl: Women Writers on Raising Daughters by Andrea Buchanan -
A good book to read while waiting 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there.
And it made me think about what I had hoped for in a daughter before I ever was even pregnant: I hoped I would have a daughter who would be strong, and independent, and assertive. One who would question authority. One who would speak out. My daughter is just the kind of daughter I'd hoped to have. I haven't been thinking about it in this way in the past months (years) that we have had clashes. :)

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See -
follows 2 close women friends and their families in 19th century China. Very very good. I wish her other books were similar - I'd love to read more - but it looks like her others are mysteries set in present day China.

beachgal
02-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Thanks, Weezle, definitely let me know. I'll tell you this...23 minutes would be 23 minutes too many IMHO! :flame: :yikes:

Jessie, I :love: how you devour books! I have been reading so many big books lately that I haven't had the ability to speed through them like I like. ;) Too much nonfiction, I tell ya! :nono: Your choices sound delicious. Isn't Plain Truth just AMAZING?????? It made me absolutely ravenous for more books about the Amish. There are a ton of great Christian fiction books about the Amish...I especially love those by Beverly Lewis. The Postcard and the sequel to it were my favorites.

:idea: WOW, rebel, you have read a lot of great books lately!!! Thank you SO much for the reviews...I added several to my "want to read" list. :) I adore Sue Grafton and got off of reading her when I caught up with the newest book and had to wait for it to be available at the library. I'm not sure now where I stopped...better go online and find the synopsis. She's a great writer!

I finished Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder and it was an amazing read. Our book club met on Monday and we all liked it a lot, though for different reasons. I was interested that so many of us enjoyed it...usually at least one of us doesn't.

I was really in the mood for some 'mind candy' and found a brand new romance at the library by a favorite author of mine, Betina Krahn, called The Book of True Desires. It was a bit fantastical, but I really enjoyed it. The story is about a treasure-hunting adventuress in the 1800s. She's the unknown granddaughter of a tycoon and convinces him to give her money for an expedition, but only if she goes on a 'little errand' for him first which requires plunging into the Mexican jungle with his 'butler' (who turns out to be a hunk as well as a scientist and chemist paying back a debt with service) to locate a Mayan ruin. It was full of action, adventure, and romance.

Now I'm not sure what I'll start next... Son of a Witch just came in to the library :drool: but I also have Nigel Nicholson's books on Virginia Woolf and on his mother and father (Portrait of a Marriage). I loved the movie version of the latter book and have been wondering if there was more to it. His mother and Virginia Woolf were lovers, so I'm wondering if his biography will be especially accurate. Interesting! So many books, so little time...and that doesn't even include the magazines...or You: The Owner's Manual which I'm still wading through and loving. I need to make a career of reading...or something! :lol:

JessieW
02-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Hehe. Laurie, my career is reading but sadly not sitting at home reading novels and memoirs as I would like to do. :)

I've been sick and so, of course, reading a lot! Finished Plain Truth. I was slightly disappointed that I had kind of guessed the ending (who did it, not the trial verdict). I love to read about the Amish--have read several Beverly Lewis but not The Postcard series.

Then I read a little Love Inspired romance called Journey to Forever by Carol Steward, I think her name was. They are short and fun for a breather. Now I'm finally getting around to reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, which is supposed to be phenomenal and extremely sad! I'll keep you updated!

rebel
02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson.

I really enjoyed this book.

and I realized at the end that though I had taken her book Case Histories out of the library, I never actually read it.:dizzy:
It's not at all like her Behind the Scenes at the Museum (which was a good book, just very different from this one.) So now I have Case Histories on hold.

Sometimes I want to call in "sick" just to stay home and read. Not that I've ever done that. :)

annarenee
02-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Beachgal I finally finished Running with Scissors. The more I read the better it was, but I don't think I could recommend it.

I still can't get into Cell by Stephen King. I think I'm going to put it back on the shelf for a bit. Usually around Halloween is when I really get into reading his books.

I just started re-reading HP and the Order of the Phoenix. But, I think I'll keep that for bedtime reading. I think I'm going to buy He's Just Not That Into You today at lunch and start that.

I just saw the movie The Motorcycle Diaries and would like to read the book it is based on. I think I'm going to really challenge myself and read the original Spanish version. I haven't been fluent in Spanish since college (which was ummm..8 years ago), so it should be fun. :dizzy:

cottagebythesea
02-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm about midway through the 2nd book in The Circle Trilogy, by Nora Roberts, but every now and then I have to put it down and take a little breather. It's pretty intense stuff, at least for me, but it's fascinating and so much "deeper" than her usual trilogies. I'm surprised it hasn't given me nightmares, though!

JessieW
02-12-2007, 08:47 AM
I finished two books this weekend: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See and Reluctant Burglar by Jill Elizabeth Nelson. My review of Reluctant Burglar is on bookloons.com (I review for them regularly). As I expected, Snow Flower was a really good read, although not as emotional as I thought it might be!

rebel
02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Case Histories by Kate Atkinson.
Very very good. better than One Good Turn

And I read Nursery Crimes and The Big Nap by Ayelet Waldman. They are the first and second books of her Mommy-Track Mysteries. Funny light hearted mysteries with mommyhood reality thrown in.

beachgal
02-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh, Rebel, I was often tempted to call in sick just to read! :lol: Great idea!

Wow, annarenee...that's great about reading Motorcycle Diaries in Spanish! YGG! Let us know how it goes...I'd love to do something like that. I miss Spanish and there's no one here in NY to speak with, so it's hard to practice! I haven't spoken much since just after college either! Thanks for the info about Running with Scissors. I adored He's Just Not That Into You. I actually listened to it and substituted 'she' while thinking about it terms of a friend I have that I was frustrated with...and it helped a lot! So I recommend it to anyone, regardless of their relationship status! ;) I think the book on tape/cd is great...it's narrated by the authors.

Wow, Cottage, what are the Circle Trilogies about? I have trouble thinking of Nora Roberts giving me nightmares or making me need a breather...sounds really different than her normal work! I'm intrigued... :chin:

Wow, Jessie, a published reviewer, eh? What a fun job! :) Glad you liked both books. :) What's up next?

I just finished a couple books:

Son of a Witch, the sequel to Wicked, was fabulous...very different than I expected with a lot of richness...and it obviously going to be the second book in a trilogy, rather than the sequel. Can't wait for the next one!!!!

I watched the BBC version of "Portrait of a Marriage" and really enjoyed it, so I read the Nigel Nicholson book on which it was based. That was so heartbreaking and touching...and I came away from it with a much better understanding of the depth of Vita and Harold's love for each other. It was really amazing! If anyone's not aware of the main storyline, let me know...the book is old (1973) and the movie is from the 80s I think, though it only recently came out on DVD.

I'm just starting the book for my book club and I really dislike it. It's called The Devil in the Junior League, and the main character is very shallow, spoilt, and hard to enjoy. It might get interesting, but it's just not doing it for me. The girl in our group who is dying to read it is pregnant and due any day, so we figured she got to pick...she's in the Junior League so this really appealed to her. I love the movie "It's In the Water" which was about funny happenings in a stuffy, southern Junior League so I thought I might enjoy this book, which also takes place in a southern JL, but so far it's not doing much for me. It's long and I'm only 40 or so pages in, so I really hope it gets better! :( I have another of Nicholson's biographies to read (this time on Virginia Woolf, who had a long friendship and sometimes affair with his mom), and finally got a couple of Rilke's poetry books from the library. I have had friends who are big fans of his work since I was in college, but I never read anything of his but quotes. Figured it was time! ;)

Have a great weekend...hope everyone finds some time to cozy up with a good read! :cloud9:

PHinsUP!
02-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm reading True Believer by Nicholas Sparks..it's a very good book I am just having trouble finding the time to read!
and I recently got Bob Greene's Best Life Diet...I'm kinda scanning it right now!
I want to get You on a Diet...I just love Dr. Oz
Happy reading!

cottagebythesea
02-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Beachgal~ The Circle Trilogy, by Nora Roberts, was fantastic! To quote from the books, " It's an epic tale that breaks the boundaries between reality and the otherworldly, while forging together the passions of the men and women caught in a battle for the fate of humanity." The first book in the trilogy is Morrigan's Cross, followed by Dance of the Gods, and Valley of Silence. They were some somewhat similar, yet again, very different, from her usual stuff. Very good reading, and now that I'm finished, I wish there was more. I highly recommend!
Now for some light "fluff", I'm reading Darling Daughters by Debbie Macomber.

beachgal
02-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Phins, True Believer is wonderful...I actually listened to it on CD and it was really good that way, if you still don't have a lot of time. :) There's a sequel to it, which is fun. :) Tell us what you think of Bob Greene...I have a very tiny excerpt from O mag and was impressed. I got You: On a Diet but am nowhere near cracking it open yet! :o

Cottage, that does sound good! Kind of like an epic version of the Irish ones she did with the gems...Tears of the Sun or something like that? Debbie does great books. Lots of fun! :D

cottagebythesea
02-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes, Beachgal, kind of like her "Tears", "Keys" and "Sisters" trilogies; and, best of all, the story takes place in Ireland :love:!

JessieW
02-19-2007, 08:33 AM
I am working on a Red Dress Ink book called A New Lu--it's very cute and probably the best RDI I've read! I'm almost done! I'm also reading Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Good so far--I've heard rave reviews about it. I'm maybe 1/3 of the way through. Last week was SO insane for me that I plan on doing nothing but relaxing this week after work. Should get a lot of reading done! Beachgal, I am moving Son of a Witch to the top of my list! It's been sitting at home for at least a month. Was it as dense as Wicked?

rebel
02-19-2007, 10:43 PM
I just read Nursery Crimes, The Big Nap, and am almost finished with A Playdate With Death by Ayelet Waldman. The first three of her "Mommy-Track Mysteries", good enough that I've got the rest on hold at the library along with a novel of hers. Nice mindless murder mysteries with a little mommy humor thrown in.

Carpe Demon: Adventures of a Demon Hunting Soccer Mom. Pretty funny. Like what would happen if Buffy grew up and got married and moved to the 'burbs and had kids. I'm not sure if it was good enough that I'll bother to read the sequel, though.

Barb0522
02-19-2007, 11:10 PM
I really loved the Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts. I read it as soon as they came out and was glued to the books.

Right now I am reading Darknesses which is volume 2 of a L. E. Modesitt series. It's really good but I had to put it down to get Brian to bed and then get a little more work done. Now I need to head to bed.

AdiaFaith
02-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Barb I loved the Circle Trilogy as well. Especially the last book. I'm not as in to Nora Roberts as I used to be, but I really like that trilogy. On that note, I just finished Born in Death today, and though I found it more predictable as far the mystery went, I enjoyed the book and was in tears by the end (though I completely blame that on TOM!! ;) )

I'm on semester break right now so I'm trying to get in some leisure reading. I'm an English major, so reading IS college for me. I'm taking a Sci-Fi and Fantasy class this semester and we're finishing up 1984 and heading into The Giver. Also taking Lit of War and Combat. We're finishing Beowulf (4th time for me) and heading into The Red Badge of Courage (3rd time for me).

Typically I read anything by Alice Hoffman, James Patterson, JD Robb, and of course, the Harry Potter Books! :)

After reading this thread, I'm reserving books at the library online right now! :) Thanks ladies!

beachgal
02-21-2007, 01:08 AM
I am working on a Red Dress Ink book called A New Lu--it's very cute and probably the best RDI I've read! I'm almost done! ... Beachgal, I am moving Son of a Witch to the top of my list! It's been sitting at home for at least a month. Was it as dense as Wicked?

Jessie, what's RDI? I've never heard of those books before. You keep introducing me to all sorts of new things! What's Redeeming Love about? Do you like it so far? Love your plans for the evenings...sounds delicious!

Son of a Witch was even denser than Wicked...but there were small parts that were so incredibly simple and plain...stark, even...but they were absolutely amazing because of it. A little like the scene where Fiyero is oiling Elphaba in Wicked...you know? I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one. Wow! :^:

Rebel, Carpe Demon sounds hilarious! :lol: What fun!

Okay, I obviously have to read the Circle Trilogy, huh? ;) Especially with Ireland involved! :love:

Barb, what's the book you're reading about? I've never heard of the author.

Adia, so glad to see you back in the book thread! I did my degree in English Lit and loved every minute...well except writing papers. ;) I think The Giver is just beyond fabulous on every level. It's a YA book by Lois Lowry for those who don't know. You HAVE to read it if you haven't...it'll really make you think hard about life and society and everything! If you enjoy it, you should check out Gathering Blue by Lowry, too. It's a sort of companion book to The Giver. Your class sounds awesome, Adia! :love:

I finished The Devil in the Junior League and ended up loving it, which totally shocked me! About 40 pages in I started to find some interest and halfway through I was really having a good time with it! It reallly was an interesting book and I was really excited to see a love story/romance in it. For some reason, that made it more fun for me. ;) It had a bit of the Prince and the Pauper in it and a little bit of Emma or Cinderella, too. Plus a very hunky artist and a lot of French phrases. Fun! ;) It's for book club, which meets next week. We haven't picked our next books yet...that should be interesting!

I need to read Obama's book soon...my friend and I will discuss it when we finish. I have it on hold at the library but don't think it came in yet. I have checked out a couple of Rilke's poems but wasn't that interested. Maybe they weren't translated well? I have that biography of Virginia Woolf, but I feel like reading a novel first. I have a ton of choices, but in the meantime, I started Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating by Geneen Roth. I've been eating a lot lately and it seemed like the right thing to do. :o

JessieW
02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Laurie, RDI is an imprint of Harlequin. They publish a whole lot of chicklit, most of which is very enjoyable!! Other than A New Lu, I also really enjoyed Mafia Chic by Erica Orloff. Some are better than others, of course, but generally they are pretty entertaining if you are in the mood to read something light!

Redeeming Love is a retelling of the story of Hosea in the Bible--Hosea's wife left him to be a prostitute and he obeyed God and chased her down. This retelling takes place in California during the gold rush. I like it a lot so far. Most people who have read it told me they bawled during the whole last half.

Last night I received an advanced reader's copy of the new Sweet Potato Queens' book in the mail so I dove into it. It's a "novel," and I use that word lightly. Not sure I'm really going to like it that much, as much as I love her nonfiction books!

I was also an English major in college. :) Sometimes I even miss writing papers. But I do love to be able to read what I want to read all the time!!

Happy reading! :)

Barb0522
02-21-2007, 01:23 PM
beachgal - I finished Darknesses last night. I was so close to finishing that I went back to reading after getting Brian to bed instead of heading to bed myself. It's a fantasy series that is quite complicated. Each volume is over 400 pages (I love long books). The main character is a Herder. He has certain powers that allow him to influence the nightsheep that his family raises. He gets called into the militia and involved in battles with and for several companies even with pteradactyl-like creatures. In this book we find out that the evil comes from affreets who have taken over several people close to the rulers. There is just so much going on that I can't describe it adequately but I know that I plan to get the next book out of the library as soon as I can because I can't wait to find out what will happen next.

beachgal
02-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Last night I received an advanced reader's copy of the new Sweet Potato Queens' book in the mail so I dove into it. It's a "novel," and I use that word lightly. Not sure I'm really going to like it that much, as much as I love her nonfiction books!

I was also an English major in college. :) Sometimes I even miss writing papers. But I do love to be able to read what I want to read all the time!!

Oooh, I'm SOOOOOO jealous, Jessie! :drool: I *love* the Sweet Potato Queen books...she does a great job of spinning fantasy in her non-fiction so I have a feeling a novel would be delish!!! :)

I'm terribly jealous of your job as well...what a perfect joy it must be to read for a living! How did you get started? :)

Wow, Barb, I love books like that...they get me so engrossed! I read every single Pern book I could get my hands on (Anne McCaffrey's series) when I was in HS. I was such a major fan! Then I got into college, got busier, and fell behind. I still collected the books, but it was so long ago I don't know when I'll ever wade back in to relearn the ways of that world so they make sense again. :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know that there is reading after motherhood...some of the girls in my book group make that sound very hard! ;)

Barb0522
02-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Brian is reading the first Pern book right now as his school reading. He's really enjoying it. For bedtime reading, I am reading him Decision at Doona which is another one of Anne McCaffrey's books. I do skip over many of the cuss words but most of the story is just fine for him.

I'm on the sequel to Darknesses now called Scepters. It is every bit as good as the last book and over 600 pages which is great. It isn't easy to find time to read but I grab it when I can. It does a lot to relax me.

Stinger
02-24-2007, 07:56 PM
I found a book at the library. It's written by the three fat chicks. I am really enjoying it.

JessieW
02-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Laurie, I am lucky enough to live in the capital of Christian publishing, Nashville! I had good connections at the company where I work. I started in customer service but knew I wanted to move into editing and was able to after 18 months! I adore my job. :)

I finished the Sweet Potato Queen novel--enjoyable! More so after the first half, though. I also just read This Pen for Hire by Laura Levine. It is a cozy mystery, the first in the Jaine Austen series. It was OK but I wasn't enthralled and probably won't read any more in the series.

I'm reading a great Christian fiction book right now--Over the Waters by Deborah Raney. It takes place in Haiti, which is really fascinating. For my nonfiction readings, I am slowly getting through The 10 Commandments of Marriage by Ed Young. I am going on a trip tomorrow-Monday and hope to get lots of reading done on the plane and while my parents are at work! I really need to work on some books for review. I have a couple teen books that I could probably plow through quickly! (I review for bookloons.com if y'all didn't know that. Go check them out!)

Shoot...I meant to stop by the library yesterday and get an audiobook for my drive across PA and back (I am driving to my friend's house in central PA from my parents' house in Philly). Must remember today!!! Sounds like a lunchtime walk to the library downtown. I could use the walk anyway. :)

lblodgett
02-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I keep hearing about "The Secret". I am sort of interested. Is anyone reading it?

beachgal
02-28-2007, 11:12 AM
*chuckle* Barb, I almost asked what Brian is reading! He's one of the most well read boys I've ever 'met!' ;) I loved the Pern books...especially the ones about the musician, Menolly. They're amazing books with tons of wonderful characters. Glad you are still reading to him...keep it up! :) Have you ever read the Read-Aloud Handbook? It's a wonderful guide to reading aloud to your children, all the way through High School! :D

Stinger, glad to have you join us! :welcome3: (Anyone is welcome to join in, by the way! :wave: ) The 3FC book is excellent...the sisters did a great job of evaluating the plans that are out there, providing awesome recipes for each, and giving straight-forward information on what makes each diet work or not work. Hope you continue to enjoy it!

Ooh, yay for audiobooks, Jessie! :love: I'm partway into Jodi Picault's Vanishing Act (had to return it to the library...it's 14 discs long!!!) and hope to finish it after the person who requested it returns it again. I'm now listening to a recording of a reading Billy Collins did in 2005. I really love his poetry! Your job sounds marvelous...good for you! :D My sister-in-law lives outside of Nashville and she and her husband both work there. It's a neat place! Enjoy your trip and your reading!

Hi, lblodgett! :wave: What a beautiful avatar! I haven't read The Secret, but I've been hearing about it a ton, too. Since it was on Oprah a couple weeks ago, I'm sure it'll become even more popular. My friends have said that the DVD made a bigger impression on them than the book and that they watch it daily. My mom loves things like that, but I find it more work than I have the energy to do...wish I were more of that positive thinking bent, though! I'm sure you'll find others who'd love to discuss it, though...I'm a weirdo when it comes to things like this! ;)

Me:
Oy, I think I'm at my saturation point when it comes to number of books to juggle at one time! ;) Between the audio book situation, the fact that I'm reading, simultaneously, Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating by Geneen Roth, The Audacity of Hope by Barak Obama, and poems by Rilke, Collins, and Hoagland, I'm overwhelmed! ;) I think I need to return the poetry for now, and try to focus on one book...I'll go a bit farther with Obama and see what I think. My friend who wanted to discuss it with me says she's really found it hard to wade through and is going to put it aside for now and read something lighter. She's pregnant and due in three weeks, so I think she gets to call the shots. ;)

beachgal
03-02-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm still reading the same things...really liking Obama's book and I'm 50 pages in...

I just requested a bunch of kids' books at my library...mostly books from Mo Willems featuring the Pigeon. I love them and there are a few I haven't read. Also want to read several of the new Skippyjon Jones books. They are so well written and fun to read aloud! :)

I was also excited to see that my library got Alison Bechdel's Fun Home. I love her comic strip (especially the little political asides and comments!) and have heard that this graphic novel about her family and upbringing is really well done. I put in a request for it but it's already been requested by others...might take a while, but I think the wait will be worth it!

What do you guys all think about the controversy over The Higher Power of Lucky and the use of the word 'scrotum?' It's an interesting issue... The book was a Newberry Medal winner, so that complicates things further.

AdiaFaith
03-02-2007, 10:54 PM
I love this thread! :cloud9:

Let's see.....this week's books:

Remember, we don't watch TV at our house. Audio books let us listen and do chores and run about getting things done. Plus imagination cannot be touched digitally. :no:

On audio feature this week we're alternating:
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, which is a roaring good time. Better than the movie by far! :twirly:
Violets Are Blue by James Patterson. Nice deep baritone that my hubby loves to listen to. He has a hard time dealing with Bridget. :snooty:
Seventh Heaven by Alice Hoffman. I love anything by Alice Hoffman. This is our first try at an audio book of hers....we'll see how it goes.
One of The Cat Who..... mysteries. Heard lots of good things. Trying to find different things to switch on and off between. DH has never been a reader, but likes certain audiobooks. Trying to find a few authors he'll like. :book2:

For class this week I'm reading:
The Giver by Lois Lowry.....going to be writing a paper on that one soon. Brimming with ideas! :goodvibes
American Gods by Neil Gaiman Haven't started this one yet. Not looking forward to it.......:faint:
Morte Darthur......all I can say is YEE HAW! :joker:

For myself I'm reading:

Wicked - because I've heard so much about it on this forum and in my day to day. Just started this one. :smug:

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Loved the movie, have a group of gf's similar with some reality tossed in, so this is just a feel good one for me.:hug:

What pages are turning on your towel?

rebel
03-04-2007, 09:44 PM
What do you guys all think about the controversy over The Higher Power of Lucky and the use of the word 'scrotum?' It's an interesting issue... The book was a Newberry Medal winner, so that complicates things further.

I think it's ridiculous. I asked my 9 and 12 year old kids, and they think its ridiculous, also.

JessieW
03-06-2007, 02:25 PM
I hadn't heard of that controversy...sometimes it seems like they go looking for reasons to bad children's books. Speaking of Newberry books, I went to see Bridge to Terabithia this weekend. It was VERY beautiful, I'd highly recommend it to those with kids! I never read the book so I was surprised at the storyline, but my friend had read it and she was impressed with the movie version.

Vacation was nice! I finished Over the Waters by Deborah Raney, I really enjoyed that one. Also read for review Dream Factory by Barkley and Hepler--a teen book. It was super cute and actually had some meat. I was impressed. I'm still working my way through Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers but got distracted...Jodi Picoult's new book came out yesterday and they had it for 40% off at Borders! So I read about 150 pages yesterday. It is about a school shooting. I'm interested to see how it pans out...not quite as intrigued as I was at this point in The Pact and Plain Truth by her. Oh, the title is Nineteen Minutes if anyone is interested.

As always, love hearing about your reading!

OH and I'm listening to Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen. Love her stuff!

LitChick
03-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Now this is my kind of thread! :D

It's always interesting to see the array of books that a group reads, so many varying tastes, and it's great to discover new books.

Right now I'm reading Maisie Dobbs, the first in a mystery series set in post-WWI England. I'm not usually a reader of mysteries, but I'm enjoying this one very much.

So far this year, books I've really liked have been Slammerkin and The Book Thief, both historical fiction (one of my favorite genres). I keep a 'book blog' as an online reading diary if anyone's interested in finding out more about these: http://www.alifeinbooks.com

JessieW
03-06-2007, 04:28 PM
LitChick, Your blog is mesmerizing for a fellow bibliophile. :) If anyone is interested, a list of all the books I've read this year is located here: http://jessielynn.paperbackswap.com/profile/index.php

I am a paperbackswap addict but bookcrossing has always interested me.

jess

rebel
03-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the link to your blog, LitChick. I now have a few MORE books on my already long list...

I finished Daughter's Keeper (http://ayeletwaldman.com/books_dk.html) by Ayelet Waldman and was very pleased to find that I like her serious books even more than her light "Mommy-Track Mysteries"
It's about the "war on drugs" and mandatory minimum sentencing laws, and about the relationship between a mother and her grown daughter.

I'm glad to hear Nineteen Minutes is out. I put it on hold at the library on Feb 1, as soon as I heard it was going to be coming out, and I'm number 151 on the waiting list. So it may be a while yet :D

rebel
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Here's a link to The Newbery Project (http://newberryproject.blogspot.com/). Anyone can join. They are reading all the Newbery Medal winners (first awarded in 1922.) We just started in February. AdiaFaith, no one has blogged about The Giver there yet...

beachgal
03-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Wow, you are all killing me with the fantastic books you're reading!!! If I reply to everyone I'll be here until next week (and it cuts into my reading time... :devil: ), so here's a couple of thoughts:

Adia: I love the Bridget Jones books...they did a good job with the movies, but the books are much funnier. Wonder what they're like as audio...the words on the page are written in very graphic ways to communicate her thoughts... :chin: James Patterson is really graphic...a bit too much for me. I like the writing in the Cat Who mysteries but after two out of six that I read ended with no resolution of the mystery, I couldn't pick up another. Most of the fun in reading a mystery, for me, is to figure out if I can guess whodunit...and if there is no way to find out if I'm right...then it just doesn't seem as fun. I like the main character and the cat(s), though. :D Giver is an incredible book. I don't know the book by Gaiman, but he wrote the Sandman series of graphic novels. Someone recommended them and I read the first one (Preludes and Nocturnes). You'd be amazed at how literary it was, and at the great writing he did. However, it was a bit too gory, gothic, and dark for me...so I didn't read the rest of the series.

Jessie: I'm listening to Picoult's Vanishing Acts audiobook--I like it as much as Plain Truth. It's about a woman who finds out, as an adult, that her father kidnapped her when she was 4. It's really interesting!

LitChick, welcome! :D Can't wait to check out your book blog--what a great idea! I wish I'd thought to do that years ago. I can never remember authors and titles for books I've read. :rolleyes: Your recommends sound fantastic; I love historical fiction, too. :love:

Not much has changed in my reading...though I did finish the Billy Collins performance CD...it was FANTASTIC!!!! :love: He is so funny and so smart!

squeaker
03-06-2007, 06:21 PM
I just finished Vanishing Acts. I loved it! I am now working on Keeping Faith, also by Jodi Picoult. I am only less then 50 pages in, but like it so far.

beachgal
03-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Hey, Squeaker! :hug: Haven't seen you in a while!

Oh, I have Keeping Faith in my car...but I'm afraid to start it and then get it tangled up in my mind with Vanishing Acts...I only finished half of it and had to return it to the library...I have to wait to get it back and finish! What's Keeping Faith about?

Has anyone read My Sister's Keeper? The plot doesn't interest me much, but I really like Picoult, so I'm interested in trying it.

AdiaFaith
03-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Laurie - The audiobooks on Bridget Jones are fantastic. The lady was born in England, but raised from infancy in America. She nails the accents and even the male voices are pretty good. This my first Cat Who mystery....we'll see. Patterson is really graphic, but he usually is so fast paced I don't notice as much. However, I don't like the audio version....it's not quick enough. The more you dwell on the gore the more real it is. Gaiman did recreate The Sandman comic books, which have now become graphic novels. He's quite intense.

Rebel - If I get a moment, I'll definitely blog for The Giver, Thanks! Also, no one has touched on Witch of Blackbird Pond yet, another great one.

Finished The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Listening to a few more Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl audio books this week.

JessieW
03-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Laurie, My Sister's Keeper was fantastic. I tried reading it once and stopped maybe 50 pages in, but my second try I flew through it. Once you get into the details it's really fascinating.

annarenee
03-07-2007, 09:32 AM
I've finished HP and the Order of the Phoenix, so this morning I started The Glass Castle. I'm also still slowly (very slowly) making my way through The Motorcycle Diaries. Yesterday I went to the bookstore (there's one in the building I work in...I don't even need to put on a coat to get to it...very dangerous :)) and bought two other books...The Nanny Diaries and The Devil Wears Prada (which I've read before). I think I'm pretty much set book-wise for March!!

I've heard great things about My Sister's Keeper from several co-workers. It might have to be on my April list!

squeaker
03-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi Laurie! I am only about 75 pgs into Keeping Faith. So far a young girl seems to have God as her "imaginary friend". It is rather interesting so far. I also read My Sister's Keeper. It was the first Picoult book I read. I loved it, but I hated it too - It made me cry. :p

Adia - Which of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants books did you read? I highly recommend all 4! And it does help to read them in order, if you haven't read the others. The last one just came out.

beachgal
03-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I love the Sisterhood books too...forgot to mention that yesterday! I've read all three and ordered #4 from Amazon (just waiting for it to get here....*impatient*). Even though they are meant for teens, I found myself relating to them very well...the girls reminded me so much of my circle of friends and I loved learning about how they dealt with such big issues. Did you like it, Adia?

Good to know about the Bridget Jones' books on audiobook. Will have to try them sometime! I hear you about Patterson, though. The details in the book I read, Honeymoon, were just wayyy to graphic for my overactive imagination. :barf: I have a friend that loves to read his books as she falls asleep...I can't imagine! :faint:

I'm so glad to hear good things about Sister's Keeper, and Squeaker, Keeping Faith sounds really good too! I'll have to re-request the audiobook so I have enough time to listen before it's due. Is anyone able to get through an unabridged audio book in 2 weeks? That's the due date at our library and while I can sometimes renew them, sometimes someone else has requested it, so I can't. The last Picoult one was 14 discs long!!!

Anna, I loved The Nanny Diaries...it's incredibly well written. The father of one of the authors is a professor at the college here in town, so she and her co-author came and did a reading of their newest book (at the time), Citizen Girl. It's really rather well done, as well. So if you like Diaries, check that one out. Looks like they have another book coming out in June called Dedication. No idea what it's about...

rebel
03-07-2007, 01:35 PM
JessieW - I looked at your 100 book list and had to laugh at the goal of more non-fiction and more books by men. I then reviewed my book list for the last couple of years:
108 books.
of those, 16 non-fiction. (14.8%), 8 books by men (7.4%)

AdiaFaith
03-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Loved the Sisterhood ladies! I just finished the first one. I'm going to the library today to pick up the next one. It's just hard to focus on the books I'm supposed to be reading when there is so much more out there waiting!

Loved the Nanny Diaries! I'll have to look for Citizen Girl......

How is The Devil Wears Prada book? And do let me know how The Glass Castle turns out....that one looks interesting!

rebel
03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
I hate when my paid job interferes with my reading time. :(

annarenee
03-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Adia I really enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada. I haven't seen the movie, but I hear it is quite different from the book.

rebel Me too!! :lol3:

JessieW
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Y'all are making me itch to just go home and read! It's 20 minutes til quitting time...if I went home now I might have an hour to read before church! LOL. :) It's awesome to see so much activity on this thread.

Rebel--You can see that my goal of reading male authors hasn't been making great headway! And it's a good things memoirs are nonfiction. Those are about the only nonfiction I've read.

I've read the first Sisterhood book...would love to read the rest! There's just SOOOO many books I want to read!! AHHHH!

Laurie, I'm listening to Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen on audiobook right now. Great reading! But the only way I can listen to a decently long audiobook is when I am on a trip. I drove 6 hours around PA which helped me put a dent in this one. I used to listen more just going to work and home, but my DH and I drive together now so I don't do that.

JessieW
03-07-2007, 04:45 PM
P.S. I heard only bad things about Citizen Girl. It's good to hear some positive comments! I liked The Nanny Diaries even though I wanted to kill the mother!

JessieW
03-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Did someone here put me as a referral for Paperback swap? If so, thanks!!!

rebel
03-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I finished Murder Plays House (http://ayeletwaldman.com/books_mt_mph.html) by Ayelet Waldman. 5th of her Mommy-Track Mysteries, this has a theme of the all pervasiveness of eating disorders in our country. Even girls in 1st grade are aware of and critical of their own body sizes and shapes.
Not as good as the previous 4 in the series.
I like that her daughter is the same age as mine (Barb, she was on the June 97 list. Barb and I were both on the July 97 pregnancy support list for people whose babies were due that month.)

I'm not even doing SBD at the moment, just here for the reading list. :lol:

Barb0522
03-08-2007, 10:48 AM
My work and my Scouts have really been interfering with my reading. I'm on the 4th book in the series that I have been reading. I love the stationary bike because I can read while I bike. The time passes so quickly!

Rebel- I don't recognize her name but I know at one time we had many people on our list. It seems like forever since we have had a get-together. Our kids were so little the last time we got together (was it San Francisco or Portland?) It's a lot harder now that they are in school. I am so far behind in reading my July97 list.

rebel
03-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Barb - She was on the June list, you and I were/are on July, and Lesley was on both June AND July which is the only reason I know this about Ayelet Waldman. Also, her daughter went to the same preschool as Lisa Cain's daughter :lol:
I last saw you in Portland - 1999! I didn't make it to the SanFrancisco gathering.

I read while I do the elliptical machine. Large print books help.

rebel
03-10-2007, 11:19 AM
The Glass Castle (http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Castle-Memoir-Jeannette-Walls/dp/074324754X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-8707220-3026356?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173542711&sr=8-1) by Jeannette Walls was excellent.

JessieW
03-12-2007, 10:42 AM
I've heard great things about The Glass Castle!

I just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Not my favorite of hers but a good read. I love how she approaches touchy subjects, like school shooting in this one. I thought I had guessed the twist at the end, but nope, I was wrong, which made me happy! :)

I also finished listening to Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen. It was excellent. I enjoy her stories so much. And the reader on the CD did a great job, wasn't distracting in any way.

Right now I'm working on Tippy Toe Murder, the second in Leslie Meier's Lucy Stone cozy mysteries. Also need to finish the Melody Carlson teen book I am reviewing.

beachgal
03-14-2007, 12:00 AM
I totally concur on too many books to read and not enough time, and on life intruding on your reading. When I was young, I used to curl up somewhere and spend hours just reading! Now I feel I have to be doing something else...and I picked up my parents' bad habit of bathroom reading. :o I also read at the gym, but the other mods convinced me that you don't work out as hard when you're reading (I've found it to be true for me, sadly...:( ), so I save it for the times when I'm totally unmotivated to work out. Then I tell myself I'll ride the bike and read...it's not as hard of a workout but at least I'm doing something! I have trouble reading on the elliptical...too much bouncing! :lol: But I can see where large print would help...good idea, Rebel! :mag:

I agree, Jessie, that Jodi Picoult has a great way of broaching tough subjects. Glad you liked 19 Minutes!

I'm still on Obama's book...it's still good, but I'm itching to dive into other books. I have Tree Grows in Brooklyn to read for book club, and tons of others I want to get into as well. :hyper: I need a vacation from my life so I can READ! :lol3:

rebel
03-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Sometimes the large print books have a shorter wait time at the library than the regular. And I find that if I'm really into a book, sometimes I exercise longer than I had planned ie reading while doing the elliptical machine, and at a really good part of the book, so kept going an extra 20 minutes.

beachgal
03-14-2007, 03:48 PM
That's a good point, Rebel! :chin: That's definitely happened to me, too...

JessieW
03-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Just a little reading update. Finished Tippy Toe Murder by Leslie Meier, a cute cozy mystery. This weekend I am determined to read books for review (for bookloons.com). I am reading a Christian teen book, Beyond Reach by Melody Carlson; Deception by Randy Alcorn, which is a mystery; and Reluctant Runaway by Jill Elizabeth Nelson, also a mystery. Lots of Christian mystery! I'll be suspecting my coworkers by Monday. ;)

beachgal
03-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Jessie, three books in a weekend???? :yikes: You are a STUD!!!
:book2:

Soooo, whodunit? The secretary in the cubicle with the paper shredder?

:lol: Sorry...couldn't resist!

I'm always affected by what I read, too!

I'm still on the same things...I think I have to put Obama aside and start reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for my book club. I just hate not finishing it!

What's everyone else reading?

Kim_Star060404
03-20-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm going to start reading The Tale of Genji over again. I started it after Christmas, but life got in the way of everything. I'll hit it tonight and I'm a little scared--the book is long and the themes are a little daunting. Oh well, have to love classic Japanese literature!

Has anybody read it?

rebel
03-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Miss American Pie: A Diary of Love, Secrets and Growing Up in the 1970s by Margaret Sartor

This is the author's diary, beginning when she was in 7th grade in 1972 and continuing until she left for college in 1977.

I was in 7th grade in 1972. I left for college in fall 1977. Reading the diary of an adolescent girl of that time really reminds me of how much I hated that whole time of my life. :lol:
I enjoyed it, couldn't put it down, and yet I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone other than a woman who graduated from a U.S. high school around that time.

Plum Lovin' by Janet Evanovich.
Very very disappointing. I don't think I'd have bothered finishing it if it hadn't been on my hold list at the library since the moment it was published.

LitChick
03-22-2007, 10:22 PM
I went a little crazy at the library the other day, and placed hold requests for several books I've been wanting to read - and of course, they've all come in at once! So now, I have 11 books on my nightstand - yikes!

I've started with The Brief History of the Dead, which I've heard great things about. Has anyone read it?

JessieW
03-23-2007, 08:43 AM
LOL Litchick. My "to be read" pile is about 100 books sitting in my guest room. Yikes!!

PS I am STILL trying to read Deception by Alcorn. SOOO long!!!

beachgal
03-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Wow...glad I'm not the only one with rampant hold request issues! :lol3: It happens to me every darn time I do it (tons of things come in at once) and I just never learn! :rolleyes:

I'm in a tiny dry spell that way right now (thank goodness!)...I finallly abandoned Obama (think I got what I needed out of it...) though it was really good! I whipped through two books that came in on hold (see below for my thoughts) and am now about 1/3 of the way into rereading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith for my book club. I read it when I was very young (maybe 9?) and loved it, but had a feeling I'd get a different view of it by rereading it as an adult. I was right...there was so much of the book I couldn't possibly have understood as a child at that age or as a child living in CA. I'm so glad I'm rereading it...it's as miraculous as I remembered. :cloud9: When I finish it, I have a ton of books here to read, but knowing me...I'll probably request something else at the library...I'm such a book junkie! :lol3:

The two books I whipped through were SO good!!!

The first was Fun Home by Allison Bechdel. I adore her comic strip, "Dykes to Watch Out For" for its subject matter but especially for it's political commentary. :cloud9: This book, Bechdel's first novel, is an autobiographical graphic novel and perfectly crafted. She uses tons of literary allusions to help her deconstruct her early childhood and the reasons for her father's suicide when she was 20. Her family's business of running a funeral home, her upbringing in a tiny town, and her father's closeted homosexuality contrasted with Bechdel's comfortable attitude about her own homosexuality, make the book rich with fascinating details and character depth. The drawings are exquisite; Bechdel literally puts herself into the poses she's going to use in each drawing, takes pictures, and uses them for reference so every single detail is right. There is tons of background detail as well--for instance, a Sunbeam Bread truck is the one that hits her father when he steps into the road to kill himself. There must be over 30 images of Sunbeam bread throughout the book, usually hidden in the background. What an amazing book...so much wonderful insight, humor, and humanity. I was absolutely enthralled and amazed! :cloud9:

The other book I read was also full of great illustrations; it was You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When It Monsoons by Mo Willems. It's incredible!!! You can finish it in an hour or two, but it'd be way more fun to read it slowly and ponder. Willems is now famous as the writer and illustrator of the 'Pigeon' books for kids, which he wrote after several years as a writer on Sesame Street. This book was created a long time ago. Basically, when he was fresh out of college, he backpacked around the world for a year. He took a journal with him and pen and ink, and drew a sketch every day of something he remembered. This book collects the sketches and has modern annotations by Willems at the bottom of each page. It's fascinating! Have you ever known someone who did something like that? I have some brave friends who have...I'm such a planner and have very few spontaneous bones in my body. But I wish I could do something exciting like that! It sounds so freeing!!! :) The commentary is really awesome and helps you think about the changes in the world since the time when Willems traveled (in '90-'91) when Communism was coming to a close and our participation in Middle Eastern wars was just beginning. It's a quick but powerful read. :D

LitChick
03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
beachgal, I loved Fun Home! It was actually my first graphic novel, and it turned me into quite a fan (at least the memoir type ones). You can read my post on FH here: http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=65

Have you read the Persepolis or Maus books? I loved those as well, especially Persepolis. I also really enjoyed Blankets.

And yes, I have to learn to practice some control when it comes to library holds. I don't even have time to get to the ton of books of my own that I've yet to read because I'm always checking out library books!

I'm off to Amazon to look up the Rickshaw book - it sounds really interesting!

3gwriter
03-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Man, you gals are making me jealous! I can't get a hold of any books without ordering from Amazon.com and waiting 2 months for it to get here even though I paid a fortune for shipping. And the bookstores here (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) charge 200% over the US price. People always ask me if I miss the US and honestly, the one thing I miss the most is the library. I swear when we move back to the US, I'm moving into the closest library!
Holly

cottagebythesea
03-27-2007, 07:32 AM
:carrot: The library called last night and the book I had reserved ,Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, has finally come in! I've been waiting almost 2 months for it! I just finished reading Dear John by Nicholas Sparks, and it was OK, but at times I found it depressing.

Beachgal, you have me interested in reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn again, too! I read it a long time ago, I was probably 12 at the time, and I can remember really enjoying it. I watched the movie on TV, too, but I can't remember how closely it followed the book.

rebel
03-27-2007, 08:15 AM
http://theshadyglade.blogspot.com/2007/03/are-you-bibliophile.html
You love books, but fortunately for you, there is a good chance you will remain sane. Your bibliophilia is borderline, but not yet at the pathological stage.

My library allows you to have up to 100 books out and 100 books on hold. Not that I've ever had reason to know exactly what their limit is:D

choices
03-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Lots of readers, that's so cool. I think I must have been the last person on the planet to read DA VINCI CODE..It went on 3 vacations with me..finially got going on it and found it to be wonderful.
Also recently read NIGHT...the author was/is a famous jewish man who has dedicated his life to those who were slaughtered in the ccamps..a must read,if you didn't read it in college.
ONE MORE DAY,M.Albom
I just started MARLEY & ME..GROGAN...AND IT'S FUNNNNNY,esp. I think if you have a dog,or love dogs. I have 12selections that I'm waiting in line for at the library..maybe difficult if the weather gets nice..then it'll be outdoors..and gardening...choices~:D

annarenee
03-30-2007, 10:50 PM
I just finished The Glass Castle and loved it!

Now I'm reading The Nanny Diaries and a photograpy book called Understanding Exposure

Still plugging along on The Motorcycle Diaries in spanish. I will make it though this book!

beachgal
04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Wow...I can't believe this thread was on the 3rd page!!! :faint: Must be we're all holed up with great books instead of online...as long as we don't have one hand in a bag of :censored: that's probably a good thing. ;)

LitChick (LOVE the new avatar, you gorgeous girl, you! :flame: ), I'm so glad you loved Fun Home as much as I did!!! Don't you think Alison was super brave in talking about (and drawing!) such intimate parts of her life? I was really in awe of her, as always. :D I LOVED Maus I and II, as terrifically sad as they were. A dear, dear friend of mine who was a H.S. History teacher gave them to me for a birthday gift over 10 years ago, but I didn't touch another graphic novel until I saw one on the Hobbit. I had tried and tried and tried to read the Hobbit but couldn't get past the beginning because it was SOOOOOOOOOOO boring!!! :sleep: :yawn: Anyways, took the GN version of it home and had it done in a day! :woohoo: I received a recommendation for the Sandman series from several friends and though I finished Preludes and Nocturnes and am very impressed with the quality of the storylines, the language, and the artistry, the graphic violence was a bit much for my taste, so I haven't read any more in the series. I have to sadly admit that I hadn't read any others until Fun Home. I'll definitely have to look for Persepolis, though! I'd love any other recommends you have... :goodvibes:

Cottage, someone here recommended Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and so I had it on my list already, but then a dear friend of mine who's a fantastic reader (and has a doctorate in Literacy) told me she read it for her book club and was surprised to find that she loved it. I definitely have to read it now!!! :D Tell me what you think, okay? Sad to hear about Sparks' books...sometimes I love them, sometimes they just don't hit me. :shrug: You know, it was awesome to reread Brooklyn...I definitely recommend that you do so sometime. :D

3gWriter, so sad to hear how hard it is for you to get books!!! :( Do they have any kind of English lending library there? Or even an English used book store? I know I found one of them in France...the books were still really expensive, but much cheaper than ordering them from Amazon would be. :) At the very least, maybe someone can get them for you from used book stores and then ship them to you via media mail or something? Would sites like PaperbackSwap exist for international expats? There must be a better way... :chin:

Choices, glad to have you with us. :wave: :book2: Yup, lots of readers here! Night is by Elie Weisel. He was one of the survivors of the camps and rather than living his life in bitterness, he decided to write of his experiences in hope that it would help others. He was an incredible human being. He's written many books, but Night is one of the most poignant. It's a slim volume but a very emotional read. (BTW, if you liked Night, you might enjoy Maus I and II as LitChick mentioned--it's a graphic novel--like a comic book, but better writing--about two mice in the Holocaust. It's written with mice instead of people and cats instead of human ****s and this helps you remove yourself from the situation enough to view it more objectively and thus see the horror more clearly. It's fantastic but incredibly emotional as well. Anyways, good recommendation! I haven't read Albom's new book yet, but loved his other two so hope to read it soon. Did you like it? Actually, I haven't read the DaVinci Code yet! :o I usually find that books that everyone is crazy about don't do much for me...though Harry Potter certainly broke that rule...by the time I read HP, she had written three books and all were in paperback! :lol: It takes me a while to get past the hype and think there's something worth reading there. :rolleyes: I'll have to read it at some point, though.

Annarenee, I want to hear more about the Glass Castle. What did you like about it? :D The Nanny Diaries is fantastic...definitely a fun read, especially if you've ever worked with children! :lol3: Bueno suerte con Las Diarias de Motocicletas (sp????)!

Me:
Well, I finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. *happy sigh* It was SOOOO good and definitely worth re-reading. In fact, I'm amazed that I could understand half of what was going on when I read it at 9 or 10 years old... :eek: The story is so rich and honest and full of details...and as readers, you have to fall in love with Francie, who sees the library as a temple, checks out a book a day (and allows herself two on Sunday), and gets herself into college without going to high school. Definitely worth rereading (or reading for the first time if you've never read it!). In case someone hasn't heard of it, the story is a coming-of-age about a girl named Francie in turn of the century Brooklyn as the daughter of first generation Irish immigrants.

I then went on to Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier (she of Girl With The Pearl Earring fame). I loved her other books and was excited to try this one, which just came out. The novel was billed as being about William Blake and is set in the late 1700s. To be honest, I was a bit dissapointed since in other books, she has done a great job of helping us understand a famous artist by showing us that artist through the eyes of other characters. In this book, Blake is almost a secondary character and we see very little of his inner life or even personal life. The other characters didn't do much for me until I was about 40 pages in...but they were fun to read about. I felt like I got a better understanding of the period and the effect of the French Revolution on England, but didn't really come to understand Blake any better at all. I just got little snippets of him...enough to pique my interest, but not anything to help my understanding. :shrug:

I also just finished listening to the The Alchemist by Paula Coehlo on CD. I'd heard a lot about the book and was excited to 'read' it. I was a bit dissapointed in it as well. Some of it was the reader, who made the Alchemist character sound like a bad villian in a melodrama. :rolleyes: The rest was the way that the author spouted little pithy saying about life and then disproved them or contradicted them with what happened to her character. The ending really frustrated me, especially since it didn't upset the main character. There was a lot left out...IMHO. But it was worth the read...there's a lot I learned from it about myself and it did provide some great insights. :shrug:

Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman has come in for me and is waiting at the library. :hyper: I can't wait to go get it tomorrow!!! It was recommended by my professor friend (see about with Snow Flower) and the Writer's Almanac, which said: "Her collection of essays, Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader (1998), is about her deep love of books. She believes that if you truly love a book, you should sleep with it, write in it, read aloud from it, and fill its pages with muffin crumbs." Isn't that just exactly true??? :love:

I'm also finishing Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult on CD. Though this latest chapter had a bit more prison violence than I wanted to hear about, it really is a wonderful book with deep, real characters.

Alright now...come on out of your books for just a minute and fill us all in on what you've been reading and doing in April! :write: Okay??? :corn:

cottagebythesea
04-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Beachgal, I really liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It really gave you a look at what life was like for girls in China, I had a hard time putting it down. You'll have to read it!

JessieW
04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Jessie is back with her flaring opinions on everything!! LOL. :)

I really liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan; however, after the raves I had heard about it on paperbackswap.com I was slightly disappointed I wasn't more emotionally moved at the end. If I wasn't expecting so much, I think I would have liked it more. Does that make sense?

Recent reads:
Finally finished Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Really beautiful Christian retelling of the book of Hosea. Poignant.

Read a little Love Inspired (Harlequin Christian romances) called The Sisterhood of the Dropped Stitches. I was pretty disappointed after hearing good stuff about it. It's about 20-somethings who are a cancer support group, they are all in remission by the time the novel takes place.

For review, I read Better by Atul Gawande. LOVED IT. It's a collection of medical essays by a surgeon. He makes everything fascinating--from hand-washing in hospitals, to polio in India, to cystic fibrosis research. Just baffled me what an incredible writer he is. LAURIE, you MUST reserve this at the library. I am pretty sure you will love it. :)

Saturday night I stayed up reading Blind Dates Can Be Murder by Mindy Starns Clark. It is the second in her Smart Chicks Mystery series (first was The Trouble With Tulip). I adored it. They are excellent Christian mysteries, the romance is soo sweet and believable. Much better than most chicklit out there.

I'm about 200 pages into A Piece of Cake, a memoir by Cupcake Brown. I think I'm gonna fold and move on to something else. It's one of those memoirs where the authors feels they must tell every single detail of their entire life. YAWN. Only so much one can read about the drugs the main character is doing. I am sure there's a point somewhere...

Sad to hear about the new Tracey Chevalier. I usually really enjoy her works. So, what's everyone else reading?

NotTheCheat
04-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Rebel - I just wanted to thank you for the idea of large print books while on the elliptical. I love it! I had tried regular print books before and it was too difficult for me. It has made it so much easier to keep going for longer periods. I have started with Pride and Prejudice (which I haven't read since high school) and have Dead as a Doornail (book 4 in the Southern Vampire series) lined up next.

tifanicole
04-11-2007, 02:34 PM
After becoming a mom I've gone through a literary decline in intelligence. I used to love reading and still do though now it's more Jk rowling than Charles Dickens. But I have recently begun to read David Copperfield. I feined going to the bathroom last night for a good 15 minutes to sneak in a few extra pages :)
...t.

carynm
04-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I just finished "Watermelon" by Marian Keyes. I just started "The Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella and got an e-mail from the library that "In Case We're Separated" is in (thanks for the recommendation -- I can't wait to read it!). I'm going to pick that up today.

JessieW
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I loooved The Undomestic Goddess! I sat down one night at 8 and started to read it and didn't stop until I was done at 1 A.M. It's not a literary masterpiece but a really fun read!

LitChick
04-12-2007, 11:52 PM
beachgal, I love, love, love 'Ex Libris' - such a wonderful book for readers! I'd also recommend her non-fiction work, 'The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down' which is her account of a Hmong family and their epileptic daughter, and their experience with the US medical system. You can read my comments on that book here (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=17) - I didn't find it an easy read, but it was a worthwhile one.

Recommendations are always unpredictable (for example, I didn't enjoy Snow Flower all that much, but I know I'm in the minority on that!) but here are my 10 favorite books from 2006 - I read 87 books so it was really hard to narrow down to just these few: :D

Fingersmith (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=7) by Sarah Waters (love anything by her!)

The Thrall's Tale (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=11) by Judith Lindbergh (highly recommend especially if you enjoy historical fiction)

In Cold Blood (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=33) by Truman Capote (I'm not a 'true crime' reader, but it's just wonderfully written)

The Kite Runner (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=34) by Khaled Hosseini (I imagine most everyone who wants to has read this by now, but if not, an absolute page-turner)

Atonement (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=42) by Ian McEwan (another great historical fiction with some interesting themes)

Mayflower (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=45) by Nathaniel Philbrick (rich detail on this seminal point in US history, also recommend his other book, 'In the Heart of the Sea')

Winner of the National Book Award (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=57) by Jincy Willett (particularly appealing if you like your humor with a bit of bite)

Persepolis (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=68) by Marjane Satrapi (I don't say much about it in this post, but trust me, it's superb)

Stuart: A Life Backwards (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=79) by Alexander Masters (an honest, brash account of one homeless man's troubled life and the friendship he forms with Masters)

English Passengers (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=91) by Matthew Kneale (just chock full of great inter-related stories, absolutely the best historical fiction I read in 2006)

I hope it's OK that I included these links in here - it's easier for me to link to my comments rather than retype them here, plus the posts contain links to the books on Amazon if you want to look further. But if this is against the rules, please let me know and I'll remove them.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Mo Willems book - it definitely looks like something I'd enjoy, being the armchair traveller that I am. :) Oh, and I've never wanted to read the LOTR books because I think it would be overkill for me, but I might actually enjoy a graphic version.

I agree with you on Bechdel's bravery in putting her story out there for everyone to read, and see, not only her personal journey but also that of her father. To unearth family skeletons for strangers to see is no easy thing, especially when her feelings towards him were so conflicting.

Speaking of Gaiman, have you read 'Neverland'? It's one of my favorites but is a bit on the dark side with some violence, so it may not be to your taste. 'Stardust' on the other hand, is a sweeter story, more fairy tale like - it's actually been made into a movie which I think is coming out later this year.

I could go on and on, but I'll shut up now!

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on my avatar photo. I have not reached the point where I think I'm pretty yet - perhaps when I can see more of me and less of the fat! But thank you nonetheless. :)

beachgal
04-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Wow...you guys overwhelm me with wonderful recommendations, (My books to read list is longer than the list of books LitChick read last year, and that's saying something!!! :lol: ), wonderful commentary, and things I want to talk about with you...but if I wrote everything, my fingers would fall off and the post would be so long I'd have to split it! :lol3: I'm so glad this thread is so active...I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves only one thing more than food--BOOKS! :lol: (I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I can easily combine my two favorite loves...and not just by reading book like Julie and Julia... :rolleyes: )

Okay, here goes!

Tifanicole, my parents are HUGE readers both, but they felt guilt sitting and reading when they should be doing other stuff...so they restricted their reading to the bathroom only. The thing is...they both couldn't put their books down, so any bathroom break lasted at least 30 mins! :lol3: I can laugh because I've now picked up their habit!!! :o For some reason, I don't feel guilty about it as long as I'm in the bathroom... But I also take a book with me pretty much anywhere I go...I read at the doctor's office, at restaurants, when waiting anywhere. At least now I don't read when I walk like when I was a kid! :rofl: Anyways, I just wanted to say that your pretending to go to the bathroom just to get reading time...I could relate. ;)

Jessie, you crack me up! :lol3: I adore you, girl! You have SUCH great recommendations and awesome commentary. No wonder you do this for a living, you smart girl! :idea: I checked with the library and Better (in hardback and Audio form) is being catalogued, so I can't reserve it yet. Darn! ;) But I will, as soon as I can. Thanks for the recommend! I think I added most of your list to my list of books to read. I hear you about your experience with Snow Flower...that's happened to me several times and I'm always sad that my expectations spoiled the experience. However, once or twice, my expectations were exceeded, and that's SO exciting! :D Like with Harry Potter, for instance.

Cottage, thanks for the info on SF. Have you read any of Amy Tan's books or Memoirs of a Geisha? I wonder how the comparison between those books and SF would be? :chin:

Oh, Nancy, Pride and Prejudice is a DREAM of a book :cloud9: :love: ...wish we lived closer so I could invite you over for a P&P movie marathon when you're done. ;)

Carynm, what's Goddess about?

LitChick, thank you SO much for your wonderful list! It's absolutely fine to link to your list, though I'd like to put in a word for the 3FC sisters--if you link to Amazon through this site, they get a percentage of your purchase. It doesn't increase the price for you, but it helps them. :D Actually, LC, I went to your site and was just wide eyed at all you've done and written...you are amazing! I sent a link to your site to my wonderful Literacy professor who is a dear friend, as I know she'll love it! After reading the page on Fun Home, I read all the comments on Persepolis and reserved it at the library. You're in trouble because it was so interesting-looking that I had to read it even before Ex Libris! :nono: :lol: It was wonderful...while I had to stop Reading Lolita in Tehran because the descriptions of the war just made me too horrifically sad, I was able to stomach them in the graphic format, similar to my experience with Maus versus books like Night. Of course, the cliffhanger at the end nearly did me in...I think I almost tore open the back cover to see if a page was hiding! ;) I requested Persepolis 2 that day and am dying to get it. :hyper: It really is a must read book...wow!!! Oh, hon, I loved Fingersmith too--in fact, Sarah Waters is my favorite author, hands down. I just fell madly, madly in love with Tipping the Velvet (if you liked Fingersmith, you should love that too). Sadly, some of the topics in it make me wary of recommending it to friends...but maybe I shouldn't be so prudish on their behalf? :chin: Have you seen the BBC adaptations of Velvet and Fingersmith? They are phenomenal...they actually did justice to both, which is amazing to me! No, I've never read Gaiman's other works...I'll have to look for them! I'm sorry violence bothers me so much...I just have such an overactive imagination that I have nightmares for days... :(

Me:
Okay, so I'm still working on Vanishing Acts on CD...have four disks out of 14 to go. (this is one LOOOONNNNGGG book!) It's really fantastic...and I'm loving the way she flips between characters' viewpoints.

I finished Persepolis almost overnight and then went on to Ex Libris. It's a fun book--several essays by a wonderful writer who is also a major bibliophile. I love the book because I can SO relate, but I'm also a bit intimidated by how well she does what I thought I did so well...use big words, love books, read widely, etc. She's like that kid in your class who ALWAYS gets the A+ when you get the A after working your heart out. You know? :lol:

I finished putting the new bookcase in our bedroom together and loaded it with all the books I've been picking up at sales over the last couple years. It's full! I have one shelf plus 2 books that I've actually read...the rest are all unread...all 4 shelves worth. :faint: I have a lot of reading to do, chicas!!!

Have a great weekend full of juicy books! :book2:

LitChick
04-13-2007, 10:58 PM
beachgal, seems like you and I have similar tastes, for sure! Thanks very much for visiting my blog and I'm glad you like it. I started it because I wanted to keep track of what books I've read and my thoughts on them, and a blog seemed like a perfect format. I never thought about linking to Amazon via 3FC - thanks for the tip.

I loved Tipping the Velvet! Have you read Affinity as well? That's amazing, too. I think of the three, my favorite is Fingersmith though - just so many twists and turns that kept me guessing. I have Night Watch on my TBR shelf but haven't gotten to it yet. I did see the two BBC adaptations (got them from Netflix) and agree with you on how well they depicted both stories. I can also understand your hesitation to recommend these books; there are certain people I know that would not enjoy them, but overall, I think unless someone has very firm views against homosexuality, then the quality of the storytelling overrides any sexual content. And IIRC, Velvet is the only one with really explicit scenes.

I'm so glad you enjoyed Persepolis! I couldn't wait to read the second one, either. Not that I want to distract you from your other reading, but another great graphic memoir is Blankets by Craig Thompson.

I had to laugh at your analogy of Fadiman to the A+ student - that's very true!

Happy Reading!

rebel
04-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Rebel - I just wanted to thank you for the idea of large print books while on the elliptical. I love it! I had tried regular print books before and it was too difficult for me. It has made it so much easier to keep going for longer periods.

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

I haven't been here, since my eating has been more than a little off plan.
But I worked out today, and am feeling good.
I just updated my booklist, and have read 31 books this year.
I'm about to start The Birth House (http://thebirthhouse.com/) by Ami McKay.
Earlier today I finished Turnabout and earlier this week read a couple of other books by Margaret Patterson Haddix (http://www.teenreads.com/authors/au-haddix-margaret.asp) in the Shadow Children series. My 12 year old and I are fighting over them. Really really good and I'd be loving them even if I didn't have a 12 year old. (BTW, how did he get to be 12 years old?:dizzy: )

Keep reading, and keep taking good care of yourselves.

Ruthxxx
04-16-2007, 06:54 AM
I read The Birth House quite some time ago and liked it.

Right now I'm reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult and can hardly put it down. I read in bed until three last night. My sister put me onto this author books and now I discover she's on the best seller list!

A while ago, I read The Book of Eve by Constance Beresford-Howe and really enjoyed it. It's part of a trilogy and I am going to try to find the other two books.

Aren't you glad we learned to read? I feel so badly when people say so casually, "Oh I don't read!" It adds a whole extra dimension to Life.

JessieW
04-16-2007, 09:47 AM
It almost makes me cry when people tell me they don't read.

Ruth, I am reading The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy right now--I think that was a recommendation of yours from a long while back! It is SOO good. I find myself being transplanted into the story so easily. I've read almost the whole thing since Thursday (albeit, it is short!). I've read a lot about China but never about Chinese-Canadians. Just fascinating.

The Birth House is on my wish list at paperbackswap. It sounds so good!

I've read 5 of Jodi Picoult's books now. I wasn't crazy about Nineteen Minutes, and I don't know why! Just didn't hit me as hard as some of her others. And I didn't really feel satisfied with the ending. My favorites are still My Sister's Keeper and The Pact.

Ruthxxx
04-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Jessie, my problem with that book was that I kept craving Chinese food, my nemesis. Amy Tan does the same thing to me. I think I was oriental in another life!

beachgal
04-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Hey, LitChick! Yes, we do seem to have similar tastes! ;) I used to copy and paste everyone's comments on books next to them on my 'books to read list' but now I just put your name next to them and I know that's enough reason. :lol: Yes, I've read all of Sarah's books. I liked Affinity, but it didn't have the sharp crispness of Fingersmith or Velvet. I loved the arc of the story in Velvet (I think you're right about it being the only one with explicit sex) and I love the way she worked out an ending that's satisfying but realistic as well. :D

It's amazing how she shows so many aspects of society...I feel like so many people covered the very poorest of the poor and the richest of the rich during that time period, but no one seems to have covered the middle class or the somewhat poor--or even the ones no one thinks of, like the prostitutes or the petty thieves. Of course, there's Dickens, but I just loved the way Waters managed to show you so many different layers of society. It's fascinating! Fingersmith definitely kept me on my toes the entire time...I loved how she managed to give you enough information about the theives' world so that you understood, but she didn't bombard you with every detail every known about that world.

I'm listening to the 11th CD in the 14 CD-long Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult, and though I really enjoy the story and I have great respect for her attention to detail, I'm ready to scream with frustration at the way that she goes into minute detail about so many different subjects! I think she could easily have told next to nothing about the father's stay in jail...instead she's giving recipes for meth, including rap songs about prison, telling exactly how to make prison weapons, and showcasing at least two very violent battles between groups of inmates. Oy! This is after I've learned everything there is to know about the Hopi tribes, being a search and rescue worker, the Arizona legal system...get the idea? ;) I'm so ready for her to get on with it! ;)

Anyways, I love that Waters doesn't do that...she gives you enough detail to make it rich and realistic, but she doesn't go to town over it. I've read as many articles on her as I could find and she recommends reading the two big novels written by Wilkie Collins, The Woman in White and Moonstone. She also recommends My Secret Life by Walter, a five volume set of Victorian erotica disguised as the diary of a casanova's life. I read Woman in White and though it was a bit of slow going at first, once I got into it, I could not put it down! It was fantastic!!! If you liked Fingersmith, try that one...the twists and turns will almost make you dizzy! ;) I haven't done Moonstone yet, but it's on my list.

Actually, I'm currently reading one of the books I purchased at some used book sale--it's The Other Victorians by Steven Marcus. It was originally published in 1966, but this copy is a 2nd edition from 1974. It's the study of pornography and sexuality in Victorian society; the author used his background in the study of Victoriana and the wealth of collected books and papers at the Institute for Sex Research in Indiana (originally Kinsey's labs) to show how a portion of Victorian society revolted against traditional ideas of purity and lack of sexuality. It's fascinating...the medical views about sexuality were really odd. I'm only in the first chapter, which explores background and history, but it's fascinating to learn more about this period. If Ruth was Asian in another life, I think I must have been a Victorian housewife. ;) My mom always said I was born in the wrong era. Did anyone watch 1900 House when it was on PBS? I would have died for the chance to be on that show!!! :love:

Thanks, LitChick for the recommend on Blankets. Our local library doesn't have it, so I'll have to put it on my Paperbackswap list. (Huge thank yous to the person who mentioned that site...I've sent about 7 books out so far and have gotten a ton back! What fun!!! :cloud9: )

Rebel, so good to see you! :hug: I know that it's hard to stop by when you feel you aren't totally OP, but that's when you most need to stop by! Do come and visit, okay? ;) We promise not to yell or bite, just encourage you a lot as you have encouraged us with your great post! 31 books, eh? You are amazing!!! You and LitChick are making me think I should start some kind of list of books I'm reading too! :idea: It's so nice to know other people who devour books like I do...like several of you mentioned, I just can't imagine a world without books and lots and lots of reading! I have friends who never read at all and I just can't understand it!!! :faint:

Ruth, I'm so glad you're liking Nineteen Minutes. Like you, I didn't realize I liked Picoult so much or that she was so popular until I started seeing a lot of stuff about Sister's Keeper and realized she'd written two books I really enjoyed. I'm eager to finish Vanishing Acts and move on to something else of hers.

Hey, Jessie! :wave: Remind me again...what's The Pact about? :?: I don't think I've read it yet...

Me:
So, I finished Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman...I liked the essays a lot...but they were so rich I often felt I needed a break in between them! I caught up a little on magazine/cooking light/catalog reading in between essays. I think my favorites were the ones I could really, really relate to, like being a grammar ****, loving the food porn in books, and the different ways people love books. DH refuses to write in his books, crack the spine or do anything that might show a human has touched them. :lol: I, on the other hand, write tons, highlight, put sticky notes (or toilet paper/kleenex when I don't have anything else) on the pages, crack the spine before even reading it so it'll sit comfortably in my hand, and frequently leave books in odd positions, like face down or propped open between the salt shaker and the fruit bowl.

What do you do with your books? Are you a lover of the book itself or of the words (so that you don't care too much about the medium on which the words are transmitted)? Anyways, Ex Libris is a 'must-read' for anyone who loves books as much as we all do. The essays are short, funny, and witty, and the book is a very slim volume...so it won't distract from the rest of your reading. ;)

Persepolis 2 is in at the library...can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!!! I may have to set a goal of not letting myself touch it until I have done a certain amount of work on my resume...but it'll be so hard to not sneak a peak the second I pick it up! :hyper:

Happy reading, everyone! :book2: :grouphug:

JessieW
04-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Laurie, The Pact is an early Picoult. It's about two teenagers who have been friends since they were babies, date, and then she dies and the BF is with her. He says it was a suicide pact but he passed out before he could do it. I wrote a review for it on bookloons.com, that would probably be easier to read than me trying to synopsis it here! (Did I just make synopsis into a verb?)

I have been bummed at my lack of time to read the last few days. I have about 30 pages left on The Jade Peony but I am so exhausted by the time I get home I can only read a few pages. Maybe tonight before church?

Ruthxxx
04-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the review site, Jessie. It's www.bookloons.com and has good stuff! Some websites we can post with impunity.

Beachgal, I know what you mean about books on tape. They speak every word. At least when you read it, you can skip parts as I did for the 40-some page description of a squash game in Saturday. Who cares? Pas moi! :shrug:

JessieW
04-19-2007, 09:53 AM
LOL Ruth. I tend to make myself mad skipping passages. Many times I find myself skipping ahead to dialogue and then I am angry because I've missed the description.

I finally finished The Jade Peony last night. I thought it was really excellent. A new, interesting subject for me. I would highly recommend it! I then started Blameless by Thom Lemmons, which is for me to review. A Christian fiction, seems like it might be interesting and a quick read. It is a retelling of Job, according to the back of the book.

Ruthxxx
04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Jessie, you might enjoy Not Wanted On The Voyage by Timothy Findlay, the story of Mr and Mrs Noah and their family. It's fun!

JessieW
04-19-2007, 04:08 PM
i've read one version of a Noah story--The Heavens Before. It was incredible. Definitely recommend it!

LitChick
04-21-2007, 10:35 PM
rebel, I've had 'The Birth House' on my 'to read' shelf since December, after reading some very positive reviews on it. Also since I lived for many years in Nova Scotia, I'm interested to see how the area is depicted. I'll be curious to see your thoughts on it when you've finished.

Ruth, I don't understand non-readers, either - especially when they seem proud of the fact they don't read! And I think parents who don't encourage their children to read do a disservice to them. Oh, and 'Not Wanted on the Voyage' is one of my favorite books! I was surprised to see it mentioned til I looked and saw you were Canadian, too, haha - it seems not many folks outside Canada have heard of it. It's a fabulous retelling of the Noah story, but I think a Christian would have to be somewhat liberal in their thinking to not be bothered by its interpretation, at least in my experience in recommending it to a couple people down here who most definitely did not appreciate the story - and I learned to be very careful in what I recommended!

beachgal, have you read 'Slammerkin' by Emma Donoghue? I recently read it and it reminded me quite a bit of Sarah Waters's books. There's also 'The Crimson Petal and the White' which is a bit on the sensationalist/escapist side of historical fiction, but still quite an entertaining story.

I know I'm going to be alone in this, but I read 'My Sister's Keeper' by JP and hated it. A good friend of mine loved it and recommended it, but I found the characters didn't ring true and felt Picoult used a lot of overdone metaphors. It definitely turned me off from reading any more of her books. I'm always interested to see where tastes differ and align with certain books, particularly with people who like a lot of the same books as I do. :)

All those Victorian books sound so interesting! I'm a big history buff - and I loved 1900 House! It was my favorite of all those shows.

For a more accessible 'book about books' I really enjoyed 'So Many Books, So Little Time' by Sara Nelson and 'How Reading Changed My Life' by Anna Quindlen. I added so many books to my wishlist from reading those two.

Oh, and I am most definitely a courtly lover of books. ;)

rebel
04-23-2007, 09:17 PM
My Sister's Keeper is my absolute LEAST favorite of all Jodi Picoult's novels. Maybe tied with Mercy for least favorite. But she is overall my favorite author. So if you haven't read any of her others, LitChick, give her another chance.

beachgal
04-23-2007, 10:00 PM
I agree with Rebel. I haven't read My Sister's Keeper...in part because the subject matter doesn't interest me...and in part because I've heard quite a bit of negative feedback on it. Instead, LitChick, try Plain Truth. It's my favorite Jodi Picoult and makes for incredibly engrossing reading. It's one of those books where once you start reading it, you are dead to the world until you swim up to the surface after turning the last page. You know? :D

No, LitChick, I haven't read Slammerkin yet, but it's on my list. I'll have to bump it to the top, eh? :D So, are you an expat Canuck or did you just live there for a while? My dad is from Canada--naturalized in '84, I think. My grandparents lived there until their deaths. It's an amazing country! :love:

bellaluna3
04-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Hey girls! I'm gonna jump in here...hope that's OK! I love to read, but pretty much only read mysteries. :shrug: Right now, I'm reading Michael Connelly's Trunk Music. I love his Harry Bosch character. :)

beachgal
04-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Glad you jumped in, Bella! Anyone should feel free to post here anytime. :D

I've never read Michael Connelly before. Are his books gory? I love mysteries...but usually the ones that are more witty/funny/historical than suspenseful. I'm so bad at remembering titles and author names...but I love the series about the Blind Judge of Bow Street and the series about a troupe of players during the Elizabethan age. I also love the Aunt Dimity mysteries (as Cottage knows!) and ones like How to Kill Your Mother-in-Law and, of course, I love Agatha Christie. Though I really only like the Poirot ones. Looking forward to hearing about your reading habits! :D

bellaluna3
04-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Hey beachgal! I don't think the Michael Connelly books are gorey, but then again, I like a little gore! :eek: The Harry Bosch character is an LAPD detective, so there are crime scenes, but it's not too over the top....really!!

:)

beachgal
04-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks, Bella! That sounds cool. :)

Hey, Beachies, I need your help! My dear friend Ange (if you were here then, you'll remember her as my friend that had the little preemie 2 years ago) has shingles! :cry: She's in a lot of pain and I want to send her a little care package to try to help. I was hoping to send her a book or two, since she's an avid reader, but wanted them to be light and funny or suspenseful and engaging so they keep her mind off the itching and pain. I know she likes romance novels and likes suspense. Can anyone recommend a really funny book (non-fiction or fiction) about parenting a toddler? Or about parenting in general? Or a super-suspenseful book that will keep her on her toes?

Thanks, chicks! :grouphug:

carynm
04-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Beachgal, "Undomestic Goddess" is about a high-powered lawyer who finds herself working as a housekeeper. I found it entertaining and a quick read.

I'm still trying to read "In Case We're Separated" but keep getting interrupted every time I start reading. :mad: Maybe I'll stay up late tonight and really make a dent in it ... that seems to be my only quiet time these days!

tifanicole
04-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Still trying to find time to finish up David Copperfield, But wanted to mention that HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS will be released in 85 days. (well in 1/2 an hour it'll be 84) And that I am getting more than anxious.
...t.

carynm
04-25-2007, 11:43 PM
I love, love, love the Harry Potter series. We went to a book release party at Barnes and Noble for The Half-Blood Prince and plan to do the same this time around ... my kids had a blast (although only my oldest was able to stay up until midnight when the book went on sale)!

beachgal
04-25-2007, 11:52 PM
Caryn, thanks for the suggestion!

I love Harry Potter too...but I always assumed unattached adults (aka no kids) wouldn't be welcome at those parties. Sounds like fun, though! :)

Any other suggestions for books for my friend Ange?

carynm
04-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Actually, there were A LOT of people there of all ages sans kids ... and many of them were in costume!

squeaker
04-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Laurie - What about something fun like Good Night Nobody by Jennifer Weiner? It is a fun murder mystery and about motherhood. For fun fluff - I have enjoyed the Shopoholic series so far.

JessieW
04-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner is good for new moms! Is she a Christian? The Smart Chicks mysteries by Mindy Starns Clark have been the best books I've read in a long time. They are mystery-chicklit.

I'm SO excited about the new HP book! My DH went to a release party last time and we talked yesterday about trying to go to one this year. Does anyone know what day of the week it is released?

I'm reading two great books: Reluctant Runaway by Jill Elizabeth Nelson and the last book in that trilogy I just mentioned to Laurie, Elementary, My Dear Watkins. Both Christian romantic suspense, although Mindy Starns Clark's are most chicklitty.

tifanicole
04-26-2007, 02:56 PM
My son and I went to the book 5 release in costume. I couldn't squeeze myself into my McGonagal dress if I tried now!!! I think that was the year he went as HP in quidditch robes. Last year his dad(my ex) took him b/c I was having a baby or was in the hospital during my pregnancy. I missed the final Star Wars opening night and HP release in the hospital. I wanted to be tonks this halloween and keep different wigs in my purse so I could change randomly. BUT we are doing 1920-30's era gangsters instead.

rebel
04-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Beachgal, for your friend how about books in the Mommy-Track Mystery series by Ayelet Waldman. Funny light hearted mysteries with mommyhood reality thrown in.

LitChick
04-27-2007, 10:06 PM
beachgal, not sure if it's too late to make suggestions, but does your friend like cozy mysteries at all? There's a series by Laura Childs that features a mystery-solving teashop owner and it's set in Charleston, SC. I believe the first is called 'Death by Darjeeling'. There's also a series by Susan Wittig Albert, featuring an herb-shop owner turned amateur sleuth. The first in that series is Thyme of Death.

I don't have any humor with parenting suggestions, not having read anything along those lines ...

luja
04-27-2007, 10:17 PM
While I am anxiously awaiting Harry Potter, I am reading Isabelle Allende. She's an amazing writer. I just finished the Stories of Eva Luna.

beachgal
05-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Luja, tell us more about Isabelle Allende and the book you read. What's it about? Why did you like it? I've heard of Allende before...was wondering about her books!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I ended up getting Ange a copy of The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love for humor (it's nothing about motherhood, but I figured it would make her laugh and it does have recipes, which are good...since she loves to cook!) and Vicki Iovine's The Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers for a non-fiction choice about parenting. Her son has reached his terrible 2s and I wonder if her stress that led to the shingles had to do with him, so I hope the book helps. I'm mailing 'em out tomorrow...but I really, really loved your suggestions and wrote several of them on to my own 'to read' list! :D

I finished Persepolis 2...it was fantastic and left me wanting more. There was less about war in this one and more about the main character's ways of dealing with the aftermath of war. It was provacative!

I'm listening to Better by Atul Gawande on CD. Some of it is fascinating, some is a bit too detailed and loses my interest. But it's really a great read and has me thinking of connections with Freakonomics. :idea:

I've moved on to Don't Get Too Comfortable by David Rakoff. He was recommended by David Sedaris, whom I adore. I'm LOVING this book...it's absolutely irreverent and rich and witty and wonderful. Definitely worth reading. He has another book that came out before this one and I definitely want to check it out!

Our book club is reading The Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdich for our next meeting on 6/11. I'll have to order it from the library. Has anyone else read it?

beachgal
05-07-2007, 05:09 PM
I think everyone's got their head stuck in a book...this made it to the 3rd page! :eek:

I finished Better--it was good but I was glad when I was done. Isn't that weird?

I'm still working on David Rakoff. Some of the essays aren't as intriguing, but then a great one comes along! :T

What are you reading? :book2:

tart
05-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I am reading A People's History of the United States of America. It is history from the other side of the story.
While I am really learning a lot, it is frying my little brain and I wish I was reading something lighter!

LitChick
05-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for reviving this thread, Laurie! I bet your friend was pleased with your present. :) I love, love, love David Sedaris, so I'm going to check out Rakoff, give him a try and see how well I like his stuff.

I've just come out of a reading slump myself, and celebrated by buying a few books at the bookstore - but I had coupons or discounts for all of them, so I don't feel TOO guilty. ;)

Right now I'm reading Road Song, a memoir by Natalie Kusz. As a child, her family moved to Alaska and started a whole new way of life. At that time, Alaska was much less populated than it is today, and they truly were like pioneers. Soon after moving there, Natalie was attacked by a sled dog and had severe damage done to her face, including losing her eye. I'm about halfway through now and it's making for very compelling reading!

JessieW
05-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I just finished a great book, The Monk's Son by W.R. Wilkerson III. Wonderful, poetic language; a great plot; and deep issues. Highly recommend it! It just came out.

I am rereading a romance novel I loved when I was in high school--On the Way to Heaven by Tina Wainscott. I don't normally do romance novels but this one is really sweet and for me it's nostalgic! Next I am going to dive into Mother of Prevention by Lori Copeland, a Christian chicklitty book. I also read about half of So You Want to Be a Stay-at-Home Mom by Cheryl somebody this weekend. Very helpful. :)

CA85
05-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm being super cool and rereading the entire Harry Potter series before the final book comes out in July.:)

beachgal
05-09-2007, 05:52 PM
wow, you hard-reading chickies! :book2: You're flying through stuff! :)

CA, you kill me!!! I'd love to do that...I forget so much between books. But there are so many books I'm dying to read (and so little time...) that I have a strict 'no re-reading' policy. :yes:

I hear you, Tart! I have a great need to read something light and fluffy (like a meringue cookie! :lol: ), so I'm going to check out the Shopaholic series next--my dear friend Emily and I had coffee yesterday and we bombarded each other with tons of book suggestions! ;) Don't other booklovers make the best friends? :grouphug:

LitChick, your book sounds fascinating! I'm reading (at the gym in large print on the elliptical!) Jennifer Weiner's The Guy Not Taken and just got to the story that starts out with a woman with a huge scar on her face. Haven't found out where she got it...but your review reminded me of it. I think you'll like Rakoff. He does remind me of Sedaris. Wonder if, like Sedaris, he comes across better in a live performance? :chin:

Jessie, you make The Monk's Son sound wonderful! :drool: What's it about?

rebel
05-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I haven't been here for a while, and am only here for the books now.

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. I love her books. I liked this one so much more than My Sister's Keeper and The Tenth Circle. I had become slightly disenchanted with her in the past few years, so it was good to read this and put her right back up there on the pedestal.

Other than that - I read 8 books by Margaret Peterson Haddix, who writes great Young Adult literature. (or middle aged adult, in this case.)

Beachgal, you know I'm glad to hear you're reading large print books on the elliptical trainer :lol: but I'm disappointed in myself that I don't remember anything about that story, even though I read The Guy Not Taken quite recently.

beachgal
05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Ah, Rebel, it's great to see you! :hug: I hope you're around more often. Even if you aren't on plan, you are ALWAYS welcome, okay? We miss you! :(

:lol: about not remembering what a book is about...that happens to me all the time, especially when I read more than one at a time. I did that with Girl with the Pearl Earring and Girl in Hyacinth Blue...and I read The Dress Lodger not long after, so I get the three mixed up horribly!!! :dizzy:

I'll definitely have to check out Haddix...she sounds wonderful! I love young adult and kid lit (middle age adult, indeed! :p )!

I'm SO glad to hear that Picoult is up on her pedestal again...I love her books but am afraid to read the two you mentioned because I've heard some bad things and I hate for her to be knocked off her pedestal. :( I'm glad to hear she's back! ;)

Tart, could you take a break and read something fluffy for a while? I do that sometimes with longer tomes of books. ;)

JessieW
05-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I could swear I responded to this post but I guess not! I've been away for the weekend and sadly I crocheted instead of read! But I needed to crochet--I am finishing up an afghan for a friend's wedding gift.

I didn't like The Tenth Circle that much but I loved My Sister's Keeper--well, as much as you can love an emotionally exhausting book. I guess more I thought it was very well-written. Personally I wasn't crazy about Nineteen Minutes but I have heard many say they adored it. So you never know!

Still reading So You Want to Be a Stay-At-Home-Mom, which is chock full of great advice. Also working on Back to School Murder by Leslie Meier, the fourth in the Lucy Stone series. They are sweet and easy to read. I am trying to read Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer--has anyone read this? I am having a very difficult time getting into it, it is so strange. I really liked Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by him so I want to read this...but...it is certainly something else.

I did finish Mother of Prevention by Lori Copeland and it was cute and easy. Laurie and all who might be interested, here is my review of The Monk's Son from bookloons.com:

The acknowledgements at the end of The Monk's Son speak for the volume: Wilkerson, primarily a historian with a few nonfiction titles under his belt, spent over twenty years on this particular book. With beautifully crafted language, poignant characters and themes, and an interesting setting, The Monk's Son is a must-read.

Steven St. Francis is found as an infant on the grounds of a monastery in England. The time is the early twentieth century; Brother Dominic is a relatively new monk, after losing his wife and newborn child. Dominic is the monastery physician and nurses the infant to heath and into childhood. Despite initial protests, Steven becomes the monks' treasure and Dominic's true son.

After the air raids come to England, the monks open a school for orphaned boys at the monastery. Steven's roommate is rambunctious Michael, an artist with a brilliant mind but little interest in anything other than alcohol and his sexuality. The rest of the novel follows the two boys as they travel separately to manhood. Michael attends art school in London; Steven takes his vows and his father's position at the monastery.

When untimely events bring Michael and Steven back together, the old, solid friendship of the two must bridge the gap that has divided them. Michael's pain meets Steven's peace in a bond that crosses barriers.

The beauties of the scenes in this novel are still resonating with me as I write this. Wilkerson deals with some touchy subjects, never glossing over anything and yet not being offensive in the least. The Monk's Son is not only a wonderful story but could be a guiding example for writers on how to craft a vivid tale.

JessieW
05-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Where are my fellow readers? Come out and play (and by that I mean comment!)

Finished So You Want to Be a Stay-At-Home-Mom by Cheryl Gochnauer--really enjoyed the practical advice. Sadly they don't make books on how to be a SAHM if you are currently the breadwinner! Wish someone would let me in on the secret.

I also listened to Queen of Broken Hearts by Cassandra King. It was great, my only disappointment was that I listened to the abridged version (it was for reviewing) and I feel like I missed out on a lot (especially since I have the ARC of the book and flipped through it too). I may have to go back and read all the parts I didn't get to listen to! It is a sweet, Southern romance though and I enjoyed it very much. No graphic romance scenes--it's more about the main character's quest to get on with her life years after her husband dies tragically.

beachgal
05-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Wow, Jessie, you are reading like crazy! :D You lucky girl! ;)

I'm a bit behind...I really ended up being frustrated with the end of Don't Get Too Comfortable by David Rakoff...it was good in parts, but I just wasn't enjoying it, you know? I felt guilty about reading anything else though, so I just didn't read! :o Anyways, I finally finished it and now I'm on to Louise Erdrich's Master Butchers Singing Club, which is for our book club and was a suggestion from me. :lol: It's SO good so far...and I'm only a couple pages in! She draws you in very well and her language is beautiful! Kind of like what you said about the Monk's Son, Jessie (loved your review...you're a great writer!!!), when the language is so well crafted, it just makes the book that much more enjoyable!

I have tons of books waiting for me...picked up one by the author of Slammerkin the other day in the Bargain section at B&N, and also have Alice Munro's Castle in the Rock (is that the right title?) and two Shopaholic novels waiting at the library. My friend Emily (a fellow bibliophile) loves those novels and insisted I read them next! :lol:

What's everyone else reading? Are you buried in books? :book2: :book2: :book2:

JessieW
05-17-2007, 01:13 PM
I have to say I really didn't like the Shopaholic books :devil: ...I read two and spent the whole time just being angry at the girl for being financially stupid. LOL. But I know a lot of people love them!

And thanks Laurie for the compliment!! :o My secret to reading so much is that I just don't watch TV!

LitChick
05-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm here, too! I recently finished reading The Keep (which I enjoyed) and The Uses of Enchantment (which I did not). Comments are up on my blog (http://www.alifeinbooks.com) if you're interested. :) I've also finished Road Song but haven't written about it yet - but it was very good!

I'm participating in a few online reading challenges so I've got most of my reading planned out for the next few months. Right now I'm reading Praying for Sheetrock, a nonfiction book about a small Georgia county in the 1970s.

Jessie, The Monk's Son sounds really interesting! And Beachgal, I have a copy of Master Butcher on my tbr shelf so I'm glad to hear it's worth a read. :)

beachgal
05-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Just bumping this back to the main page...I'm still on Master Butchers Singing Club with a dart here and there to read a magazine or look at a reference book.

I'm thinking of reading Elements of Style...even though I know it's a reference book. Has anyone else read it? Is anyone else hooked on Grammar Girl's podcasts? :listen:

daoriginalbridy
05-25-2007, 12:28 AM
I am actually OBSESSED with a writer by the name of Chuck Klosterman, He actually is a journalist for SPIN magazine, but I just got done reading his book "Killing yourself to live" and it's about him going on a road trip across the US to visit the sites of the places where Rock Star have fallen. Kind of morbid but in actuality he explores why some stars become "Gods" in the mind of Millions when they die so young or in accidents.

I also just got done reading "Love is a Mix Tape" for anyone of the generations of mix tapes you will love this book and it was written by Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone Magazine and he writes it about his wife, it was beautiful.

Other than that I am starting to read about on the SBD and about to start my 4th Chuck Klosterman book "Curious people and Dangerous Ideas". I also have a book journal of books of the past that I have read and loved.

SunBear
05-25-2007, 01:06 AM
I just started reading "The Memory Keepers Daughter". Actually, I think I will go read some right now :)

JessieW
05-25-2007, 11:19 AM
SunBear, you'll have to let me know if you like Memory Keeper's Daughter. I thought it was pretty good but not up to the hype it had received on some message boards I frequent. Interesting idea, though.

I finished two fun books this week, Back to School Murder by Leslie Meier, which is the fourth in her Lucy Stone series--cozy mysteries that I really enjoy. And Million Dollar Dilemma by Judy Baer; I read almost the entire thing sitting in jury duty on Monday. It was cute but not great, and not as good as The Whitney Chronicles which is also by Baer.

Now I am reading When Bobbie Sang the Blues by Peggy Darty--Christian mystery, interesting so far. I am also trying to read Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretii but it seems I am only interesting in easy books right now! I can't get into it because it actually seems to involve thought. :) I also gave up on Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, probably for the same reason. But hey, a girl should read what she wants to, right? I don't always read fluff books...just seem to be in that season right now!

Have a happy long weekend full of good books!

squeaker
05-25-2007, 12:49 PM
I didn't particularly care for Memory Keeper's Daughter. I found it really aggravating. I didn't like the way the story unfolded, nor did I really like the characters (which is why I disliked some of the story) but I still felt the need to finish it. I found it really unsatisfying. :shrug:

I haven't read Everything is Illuminated yet, but I did see the movie. I rather liked it. It was really odd, but very well done. We have the book in the house, but my boyfriend got it for Christmas and he hasn't read it yet, so I don't think it would be nice of me to steal it and read it first. :)

I am currently reading Undomestic Goddess which is cute so far. I also have A child called "it",American girls about town and The nanny diaries waiting.

Ruthxxx
05-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Just arranged some new books on my porch for summer afternoon reading. I saved my Christmas gift card and got: On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan who, I just realized, also wrote Saturday which I detested!
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
That should keep me going for a while.

I also have two Library books: Hundred Dollar Baby by Robert B. Parker and Rage Therapy by Daniel Kalla.

There's also a backlog of magazines: New Yorker, Canadian Living, Threads and Canadian Gardening!

Probably will read The Memory Keeper's Daughter first to get it over with! :lol:

charolastra00
05-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Well, aside from college books (of which I had 37 this semester alone!) I've read in the past month or so:

Zorro, A Novel- Isabel Allende (anything Isabel Allende writes is magic, I seriously recommend it)

Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (which is just a good book in general but especially amazing for me as the grandchild of Ukrainian Jewish immigrants... and I have had plans for years to do a similar trip as Jonathan did to find the shtetl my family comes from)

Cochabamba! Water War in Bolivia- Oscar Olivera (as an activist, this book is extremely enlightening and uplifting)

People's History of the United States- Howard Zinn (we're buddies... I go to almost every lecture he gives in the area and since he is a professor at a local college, I see him about twice a month.. for some reason that fact makes this book even better because I know such a great, kind man wrote it)

Israel: Peace Not Apartheid- Jimmy Carter (this guy's got chutzpah.. excellent book)

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte (about my 100th time reading it... I have to keep tissues nearby because I cry EVERY TIME)

I'm excited for this summer because I'm subletting an apartment with no TV so I'll be reading quite a bit more.

LitChick
05-27-2007, 11:37 PM
I actually quite enjoyed The Memory Keeper's Daughter (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=96), much more than I was expecting to.

daoriginalbridy, have you read Nick Hornby's 31 Songs, also published as Songbook? From the sounds of your reading tastes, it might be something you'd enjoy if you haven't.

Ruth, the only McEwan book I've read thus far is Atonement, which I loved. I've heard such mixed reviews of his others that I'm a bit leery of reading them, even though I have a few on my bookshelf. Have you read Atonement and if so, what did you think of it?

I finally got around to posting about Road Song (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=119), an excellent memoir that deserves much more recognition than it's received. I also finally read The Night Watch, since having it on my shelf since last fall. No post yet, but I will say that although I enjoyed it and read it almost straight through, it would be my least favorite of hers.

I haven't been able to bring myself to reading one of Jonathan Safran Foer's books yet. I'm alternately attracted and repelled by them ...

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

rebel
05-29-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm still totally off plan - week 5 of the kitchen remodel - but I came back to visit. Actually, my lunches are SBD friendly, and breakfast is about half the time, it's just dinner and the after dinner treats that have been out of hand. I don't want to lose too much ground.

Liars and Saints by Maile Meloy.
I had been going to say this was the only Catholic novel I'd ever read, then I remembered reading The Thornbirds when I was a teenager. It took me till halfway through the book before I said to myself, THIS IS A SOAP OPERA!

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith.
It was sooo well-written. Published in 1943, it's the (more or less) autobiographical story of the author growing up in a poor neighborhood in Brooklyn in the years from 1906-1917. Her father is a drunk, and a sometimes singing waiter, her mother cleans their apartment building and a couple others for rent and a little more.
It's all fascinating, her accounts of her family, their complex personalities and relationships, her schooling, charity vs. work, the food, the different ethnic groups and their uneasy relationships, the city itself, and sex. It really reads as very modern in many ways.

March by Geraldine Brooks
This is the story of Mr. March, the absent father from "Little Women". He is an idealistic chaplain in the Civil War. Most of the story is told from his point of view, but a few chapters are in the voice of his wife, Marmee, and these chapters bring out what a total chasm there is between these 2 individuals. This chasm is a reflection of what Mr. March (do we ever know his first name?) faces as he realizes that the Union soldiers are as racist and cruel as the Confederates, and his idealism is shattered. (There's more to it than that, but that's the aspect I'm thinking of at the moment.)

Have I mentioned The Newbery Project (http://newberryproject.blogspot.com/2007) here? We're trying to read all the books which have received the Newbery Medal. My 12 year old is doing quite well - he's read 22 of them. I've read 10.

charolastra00
05-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Rebel, your link doesn't work! But the idea sounds cool!

And I'd never heard of March. Now I really want to read it! I tend to be disappointed by the "other side" or different author sequels I read, but they're still entertaining!

rebel
05-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Let's see if I can get the link to work: The Newbery Project (http://newberryproject.blogspot.com/)

A friend wrote this about March:
A short but very intense novel that tells the story of Mr. March, the father in "Little Women", who serves as an Army chaplain for a year during the Civil War in the US.

This book won the Pulitzer Prize last year, and I think it deserved it. It was incredible - it covered so much ground, so eloquently. Racism, the abolitionists in Massachusetts (including appearances by 'Waldo' Emerson and Henry Thoreau), poverty, John Brown and the raid on Harper's Ferry, religion, the Civil War, the gulf of understanding between men and women - both personally, in a marriage, and because of the gender roles at the time - damn, there is just a lot in this book, even if you aren't a huge fan of "Little Women" (I'm not).

rebel
05-29-2007, 05:49 PM
(sorry for serial posting, here)

A new book, A Thousand Splendid Sunscame out last week by Khaled Hosseini (who wrote The Kite Runner).

Today I got the other novel by Geraldine Brooks, Year of Wonders which is about the bubonic plague in the late middle ages.

SunBear
05-29-2007, 05:58 PM
JessieW - I finished the Memory Keeper's Daughter and it didn't live up to the hype. I did not connect with any of the characters and found the ending a let down. I read it very quickly, skimming a lot of the parts I thought were repeating things over and over (the emotional wall built up, blah blah blah).

Anyway - onward to my next book. I bought it as a hardback on clearance so we'll see if it is any good. It's called Good Grief by Lolly Winston.

I like a good cry book. TKD was just depressing to me. I am hoping GG will be the right kind of cry ;)

JessieW
05-30-2007, 09:20 AM
I've heard Good Grief is excellent.

I LOVED March and Year of Wonders. Brooks is an amazing writer and it's obvious she has a background in journalism because she pays great attention to detail. I want to read everything she's written!! (One of the few books in my keeper pile is my autographed copy of March--a gift from my best girlfriend.)

I am trying to chug through Piercing the Darkness by Peretti. It became a lot more interesting last night, but I've decided if I'm not captured by page 100 then I am allowed to give it up! Unfortunately I'm also proofing a book that is sooooo boring and is taking me forever to read through and that is eating up most of my free reading time!

I love, love, love to see what you are reading! Keep it up!

beachgal
05-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Goodness, Beachies, you've been so chatty while I was gone from this thread--that's awesome, but it'll take me a while to catch up! :faint: :lol:

I'm thrilled there's so much interesting reading going on...can't wait to read more about what you're all reading! :corn:

I'm still working on The Master Butcher's Singing Club, which is phenomenal. Erdrich is a heck of a writer! :love: I have just a tiny bit left to finish...then it's on to Munro's Castle Rock book. Promise to return when I have time to read all your wonderful posts and have something to say about what I'm reading! ;) :write:

JessieW
06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Just bumping us up! I read Sisterchicks in Gondolas by Robin Jones Gunn this weekend...the Sisterchicks books are a little formulaic but they are cute and it was a fun, short read.

JessieW
06-05-2007, 02:40 PM
So I've spent most of the afternoon making this list of what I've read this year and my comments: http://amazon.com/Read-in-2007/lm/R3C0LSRG3EKEZ6/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full/002-5146387-8700007

I have no work right now so I'm pretty bored...

rebel
06-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Year of Wonders (http://geraldinebrooks.com/year_of_wonders.shtml)
by Geraldine Brooks was FANTASTIC. I haven't read much in the way of historical fiction, but I really enjoyed this.

JessieW
06-11-2007, 10:11 AM
I read a really, really good book last week: Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson. About a friendship between and old woman and a young women in Sweden, where they have both had major tragedies they can't let go of.

Schmoodle
06-11-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm lining up light summer reading right now, so thanks for all the input, folks. I just have to have at least one book going all the time. I just finished the first book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldan. It was really good! Very spicy, that's the closest I can come to romance novels, I find they get boring fast. I plan to read the next in the series when I can get it from the Bookmobile. I'm also anxiously awaiting the last Harry Potter book with my kids, and I'll probably read that one two or three times before the end of the summer.

LitChick
06-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Jessie, I have A&V on my wishlist, so I'm glad to hear it's a good read. Don't you just love the cover art for that book?

Schmoodle, I don't even have any kids and I am counting down the days to Harry Potter! My nieces and I are quite excited to see the new movie, too - we're planning an HP movie marathon the weekend before we go see it. :)

I've just finished reading The Devil in the White City (http://www.alifeinbooks.com/?p=122), which was great and am now well into Behind the Scenes at the Museum, a quirky and so far entertaining book.

choices
06-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I just finished.............GRACE..(EVENTUALLY) TOTALLY awesome..and have reserved three more of her books at the library,and went to Borders and bought one...what a woman..check her out,she REAL! CHOICES..

JessieW
06-12-2007, 10:44 AM
choices--I love Anne Lamott! The one you MUST read is about her son being born--Operating Instructions. Her nonfiction is so good. :) I can't wait to get my hands on Grace (Eventually)!

Litchick--Yes, the cover of Astrid and Veronika is SO beautiful. I am amazed sometimes at the people who come up with book covers. There are SOOO many, how do you be original? I have Devil in the White City sitting at home with my other 100 books I need to read. Eventually I'll get to it! I'm trying to decide what books I want to take on vacation next week. I should take only review books but I do want to read some fun stuff!

PS My DH and I are also Harry Potter fanatics (no kids). We reserved two copies of the book at the library the day you could reserve them, so that we could read it at the same time. I think we are numbers 19 and 20 in the city of Nashville.

rebel
06-12-2007, 10:57 AM
I recently ran into my former best friend, who is now writing Paranormal Romance novels. When I told her I don't think I'd read anything that would qualify as a romance novel since reading Barbara Cartland novels in high school, she recommended I read something by Jennifer Crusie, so I read Fast Women.

I think the most compelling thing about this book is that it takes place in Columbus, Ohio where I grew up. I found myself saying "4th Avenue, that's where my ex-boyfriend now lives." "Clintonville, that's the neighborhood where I lived from 3rd - 12th grade ", etc. I fell asleep 2 pages before the end of the novel, and haven't picked it up to read the last 2 pages though I've found time to read more than 100 pages of another novel since then. So maybe not exactly compelling. Or there's a reason I don't read romance novels.

She (my friend, who I grew away from simply because her kids are older) apparently also writes erotic romance novels, under a nom de plume, which are quite explicit. I've forgotten the nom de plume. I'd have a hard time reading them if I picture her dh in any male role.

rebel
06-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I didn't realize Anne Lamott wrote non-fiction. I love Anne Lamott.

litchick, I loved Behind the Scenes.... quirky, fun.

I hate that my paying job interferes so much with my reading! It seems that the more I read, the more I WANT to read. I have a huge number of books on my "have to read" list.

JessieW
06-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Bumping us back up...where is Laurie?

I read almost a whole book last night, The Guy I'm Not Dating by Trish Perry. I really liked it! It had me giggling out loud. Good Christian chicklit.

rebel
06-20-2007, 09:56 PM
The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant

Another excellent novel by the author of The Red Tent and Good Harbor. (much better than Good Harbor, I didn't think it was quite as good as The Red Tent)
This is based in history, set in a small town in Massachusetts in the 1800s. The town is inhabited by prostitutes, possible witches, freed slaves. A good read.

JessieW
06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Readers...where are you?! I've been gone one week and there's one post?

rebel
06-26-2007, 10:55 AM
I read, and loved, Dairy Queen and its sequel The Off-Season by Catherine Murdock.
In Dairy queen, a teenage girl takes on the running of the family dairy farm when her dad has medical problems.the spot-on dialogue that is laugh-out-loud funny and always rings true; the stress and hard work of life on a dairy farm; the tough training, body aches, and anguish of high school football; and perhaps most important, the humor, heartache, and messiness of learning to open up to family and friends.

I also read The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less by Terry Ryan

I have no idea who recommended this one. and I can't believe I kept reading it. and I have no idea why it got 4 1/2 stars on Amazon.

Married to a man with violent tendencies and a severe drinking problem, Evelyn Ryan managed to keep her 10 children fed and housed during the 1950s and '60s by entering--and winning--contests for rhymed jingles and advertising slogans of 25-words-or-less.

NotTheCheat
06-26-2007, 12:08 PM
I recently started one of the Jeeves and Wooster books by PG Wodehouse (I am ashamed to say I can't remember which one it is off hand) and it is absolutely fantastic. I have seen some of the BBC series with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, and as great as that is, the books are even better (of course - when are they not). The writing is so magnificent. I am totally hooked.

I also just started reading Good omens : the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett which is very funny.

I am about to start the final (finished) book (#20) of the Aubrey Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian - Blue at the Mizen. I am so sad to see it end that I almost don't want to start it. I get that way with books and characters I love - I would rather postpone things than have there be nothing more.

rebel
07-03-2007, 12:32 PM
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

This wonderful novel by the author of The Kite Runner went beyond all my expectations. It is set in Afghanistan over 30 years, from before the Soviet invasion until the events of the last few years. The story is told from the perspectives of 2 women whose lives become intertwined as they struggle to survive the horror and tragedy of their lives.

I couldn't put it down, but at the same time I didn't want it to end.
Definitely the best book I've read this year.

rebel
07-03-2007, 01:02 PM
We Are All fine Here by Mary Guterson

Laugh out loud funny, quick read which is JUST what I needed after the intensity of the previous book.
A 40 year old woman who is rather disenchanted with her life (husband, teenage son, job) has a quickie with her ex-boyfriend and winds up pregnant.

It occurs to me now that Mary Guterson who lives on Bainbridge Island is probably married to David Guterson who lives on Bainbridge Island and wrote Snow Falling on Cedars.

Weedflowerby Cynthia Kadohata
middle school age fiction

It's told from the perspective of Sumiko, a young girl born to a Japanese immigrant family in the U.S. during World War II. Weedflower chronicles the treatment of Sumiko's family, as the older men not born in the U.S. are shipped off to a virtual prison, and the rest of the family is sent to a detention camp in the desert. Their property, not to mention their dignity, are stripped away because of fear caused by the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Sumiko, however, maintains hope through her passion for growing flowers.

I read part of this with my 10 yo dd today, but unfortunately I was at the part in which kids in the camp steal a chicken and kill it for no particular reason, which is not characteristic of the rest of the story but I think will mean that she won't want to try the rest.
Pretty good. good character development, not very plot driven. I enjoyed it but not sure either of my kids would.

JessieW
07-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Recently, I've read:

Death of a Garage Sale Newbie by Sharon Dunn: Christian cozy-mystery. I had a hard time getting into it and really wasn't insanely crazy about it at all, but it was OK. If it hadn't been for review I may have just put it aside and not finished it.

Confessions of a Pastor by Craig Groeschel: GREAT book. Talks about how the author, as a pastor, still faces that common temptations of a normal Christian and how he deals with them. Very easy to get through, great application.

Right now I'm reading Life's A Beach by Claire Cook, who wrote Must Love Dogs. It's OK...pretty fast-moving read about a 41-year-old who still wants to be a teenager. I just don't relate to the main character which makes it a little difficult.

beachgal
07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Jessie, I'm back! :hug: We went to Europe for 9 days and it was crazy before and after getting ready and then recouping (oh, the jet lag! :faint: ). It was a great trip!

I've finally finished Master Butcher (it was fabulous...like a wonderful 15 course dinner! :cloud9: ) and am currently working on Alice Munro's View from Castle Rock I couldn't get into it at first, but am starting to be more interested. Still, it's a slower paced read for me, and I'm not jonesing to get back to it the way I do most books. While on vacation, I read Miss Garnet's Angel, which was fabulous!!! It's a mystery/romance/travelogue about an elderly woman who, after the death of her female roommate/longtime companion (no, not that way), decides to spend 6 months in Venice. She comes to Venice an atheistic communist and finds herself changing in tons of ways as she meets all sorts of characters and learns more about life than she ever had in her previous 60+ years of life. It's full of color and wonderful descriptions of Venice and real Venetians. It's interspersed with a dialogue from the book of Tobit, a part of the Apocrypha, with the story told from various perspectives of people in the story. It was really wonderful, especially reading it while in Europe.

What is everyone else reading? Are we all planning on a mass read of HP when it comes out? ;) Actually, I've had mine pre-ordered from Amazon for months and months, but I'll be in Washington State visiting my parents when it arrives! I thought of having it redirected to WA for my reading pleasure, but I can't do that to my parents...they want to see me, not the top of my head as my nose is buried in a book. ;) That's all they saw throughout my whole childhood! I saw a parent or two on my vacation that were trying to get kids to stop reading and look at scenery...and it reminded me of most of my vacations as a kid. I even read at the baseball game! I watched our team at bat and read during the innings when the other team was up. :lol: I'm such a reader! ;)

LitChick, glad to hear you did Devil in the White City and Night Watch. I totally agree with you about NW. I loved Devil in the White City...we read it for my book club last year. We're reading My Sister's Keeper for this next book club. I'm not too thrilled about reading it, though it *is* Picoult. I hope I'll like it. :crossed:

Is March full of war commentary/descriptions? I loved Little Women but really hate war books. :?:

JessieW
07-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Laurie, I didn't know you were going! Hope it was fantastic.

We have 2 reserved copies of HP at the library and intend to stalk the library the morning of the 21st until they will give them to us. Sadly someone scheduled supper club on the 21st so I will only have from about 10 AM to 3:30 to try to read it...don't think I'll probably make it! But will probably stay up all night on Saturday finishing. Obsessed, me???

I finished Life's a Beach and the ending made me want to throw it at the wall. LAME!

I think My Sister's Keeper is definitely worth reading...deals with good issues. And I hate war stuff and descriptions but March is more about what goes on in his personal life during the war, not about the battles. Some yucky description of hospital things though.

rebel
07-05-2007, 07:17 PM
I agree, March really has the minimum of war gore, considering it is set in the civil war. The hospital scene I will sum up (highlight if you want to read it):
Amputation techniques were really developed and practiced during the Civil War
and
there was no anesthesia

beachgal
07-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the tips on March, chickies! I just may read it after all!

I put aside Alice Munro's View from Castle Rock and am now reading a book I've been waiting for: Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland. Yumm!!! :T It's wonderful!!! It's the history (told in a fictionalized way) of the painting of Renoir's famous piece by the same name. Renoir is one of my favorite all-time painters and I grew up with a piece of the painting on the wall...I love Vreeland's work and have really appreciated the insight she gives on artists' lives.

What's the latest with everyone else?

JessieW
07-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Over the weekend I read Back on Blossom Street, the newest Blossom Street book by Debbie Macomber. I really like the series. It's easier than most of what I usually read, and it's nice to just lay back and enjoy a series. Right now I'm reading Son of a Witch by Maguire--sequel to Wicked. Haven't made it too far yet...it makes my brain hurt! ;)

JessieW
07-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Just bumping us back up! I am reading Harry Potter 5 and moving onto 6 to refresh my memory before Saturday! Hopefully I'll be able to finish them!!

Shequila
07-16-2007, 09:31 AM
I am currently reading Shopaholic and Sister by Sophie Kinsella. The entire Shopaholic series is great.

JessieW
07-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Shequila, I will confess that I read two Shopaholic books and I just wanted to beat the main character over the head the whole time. I usually like chicklit, but not my thing! I did love The Undomestic Goddess by Kinsella, though.

Shequila
07-16-2007, 09:45 AM
She too drives me crazy, but can't help but keep reading on. I have Can You Keep a Secret started and will probably finish that up on vacation later this week. Then I will start The Undomestic Goddess. My friends rave about that one.

cielle
07-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Love the Shopaholic series, even if Becky is a bit annoying.

Currently listening to "Cover the Butter" by Carrie Kabak and reading "Whatever makes you happy" by Lisa Grunwald.

iammare
07-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Of course I'm reading the new HP book, then I think I'll re-read all 7 of them in order. I'm also reading Eragon and Eldest, and I want to re-read the Earth Children's Series (Clan of the Cave Bear etc) by Jean M. Auel - she's writing a 6th book, and I haven't read them in a while, so I need to prepare myself.

tomandkara
07-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Do any of you gals know if there's a list out there somewhere of all the books you should read in a lifetime? A kind of "reading list for adults"? I'm sure there are many, many classics I missed in high school and college so I thought it might be fun to get into something like that.

(Apologies if this is something you've already discussed. I read through the first couple pages of the thread but didn't make it all the way to the end yet.)

Kara

tomandkara
07-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Rebel, I LOVE David Guterson's books! Beautiful descriptions, and it doesn't hurt that we adore the Pacific Northwest and are constantly pining to be back there. Snow Falling on Cedars was excellent, as was East of the Mountains. It's been years since I read them...should go back and page through both again!

Kara

cielle
07-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Do any of you gals know if there's a list out there somewhere of all the books you should read in a lifetime? A kind of "reading list for adults"? I'm sure there are many, many classics I missed in high school and college so I thought it might be fun to get into something like that.

(Apologies if this is something you've already discussed. I read through the first couple pages of the thread but didn't make it all the way to the end yet.)

Kara

Kara,

Here's a link to a list of the "100 Best" books according to Modern Library (they print the classics): http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestnovels.html

tomandkara
07-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks!

Kara

beachgal
08-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the great link, Cielle! My book club is looking to do a classic next--I'll be sure to share the list with them!

Missed this thread while I was gone on vacation, but I got a ton of reading done!

I read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, which was MUCH better than I thought it would be. There are bad and good comments on this thread about this book, but add mine to the good column. It was incredibly well-written (which is nothing less than I'd expect from Picoult) and the subject matter wasn't nearly as heart-wrenching as I thought...or at least not in the way I thought. It even had a romance in it!

I also read The Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland. I've loved all her novels, but this has been my favorite so far because I just LOVE Renoir and to get to 'know' him through this book was such a total joy!!! :cloud9: The book is about the painting by the same name, how it was created, about the lives of the people in the painting, and the life of the painter himself. Fascinating!!!

I'm now working on So You Want to Write and the seventh Harry Potter book. I'm sure you can guess which book is 'winning...' :lol: HP is fabulous, as always, and Rowling seems to have become more adept at crafting a balance between light and dark in her storytelling. Books 5 and 6 seemed unbalanced towards dark and depressing events without enough light and happy ones to balance them out. This is much better.

So...what are you reading? We're all ears... :listen:

KO
08-01-2007, 04:16 PM
BG I'm thinking it's the latter! How is so you want to write? Tomorow night I'm devoting to writing, making chili and the treadmill. I need to make a writing schedule and use some discipline for My creative pursuits
I'm into Round 2 (of 3) for HArry soo good!

cottagebythesea
08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I've been making my way through the Harry Potter series, much to the delight of my oldest granddaughter. I'm 2/3 of the way through Goblets of Fire, and although I'm enjoying most of it, it's so different from what I usually read. I'm a romance and happily ever after fan, I know, a real "wuss"!

JessieW
08-02-2007, 08:35 AM
I've been reading mostly Christian chicklit lately, and books to review. These are the last few I read:
83. Back on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber (7/8/07)--cute, I really like this series.

84. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (and I read most of OOP too, but they are rereads anyway...)
(7/19/07)

85. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling (7/21/07)

86. A Girl's Best Friend by Kristin Billerbeck (7/24/07)--this and the next book are the second and third in Billerbeck's Spa Girls series. I really liked 1 and 2 but #3 was really bad and contrived...very disappointing!

87. Calm, Cool, and Adjusted by Kristin Billerbeck (7/28/07)

88. Playing with Fire by Melody Carlson (7/29/07)--teen book to review. #3 in the Secret Life of Samantha McGregor series. If you know any Christian teens, this is a really great series about a 17-year-old who gets visions and dreams from God. She is given the dreams to help friends and keep tragedy from happening.

Right now I'm reading Briar Rose by Jane Yolen--GREAT book in the Fairy Tale Series from Tor Books. I love fairy tale retellings and this one hasn't disappointed! It is very short but I'm working on a huge freelancing project so I haven't had much time to read.

I'm also reading Let Them Eat Cake by Byrd, which is a Christian chicklitty type book, I think. I'm not very far into it.

srmb60
08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Debbie Macomber has been one of my favourite authors for years.
I'm into James Patterson right now.
Has anyone read American Psycho?

Dea
08-02-2007, 08:48 AM
I have a yyoung teenage daughter who loves to read...so i try to keep up with what she is reading.
Harry Potter...of course! We also have been reading alot of books by Tamora Pierce. She writes fantasy/medivial type novels that centre around strong female lead characters...perfect for young girls to read! Tricksters Choice and Tricksters Queen are the books that we are currently working on. Also, I just finished The Golden Compass (saw the preview of the movie that will be coming out soon)

tomandkara
08-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Susan, why does James Patterson sound so familiar? What has he written?

Kara

JessieW
08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Kara, James Patterson has written a ton of books--mostly thrillers, I think, I don't read him (except for Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, his romance).

Dea, I've read The Golden Compass but I want to read it again and the sequels before the movie comes out!

beachgal
08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Susan and Kara, I've read James Patterson, both his romance novel and one of his thrillers. The romance didn't do much for me, and the thriller was over the top gory...people in it died horrible deaths from poison and he described every last detail of how they felt and how the blood spurted from their orifices. :P Not my thing at all. But a friend of mine swears by them...she reads them before bed! :eek: She says they're so engaging that they help her focus on just them and quiet down the rest of her mind. I'd have nightmares all night! :tired: Susan, tell me why you're into him...maybe the book I read (think it was called Honeymoon) was an anomaly?

Jessie, you are SUCH a fast reader! :faint: Do you find you are able to make more time for reading (without the guilt) because part of it is your job? Even with the immense draw of reading HP, I still find I feel terribly guilty to just sit down and read when there's so much else that needs to be done around the house--plus I have all these craft projects I want to do! :dizzy:

How does everyone find time to read? Where do you do your reading? How do you carve a niche for yourself to have peace and quiet and alone time? Me, I have a terrible vice of reading in the bathroom :o (I feel like George Costanza!) but I also read when I'm waiting at appointments, when in the car on road trips, and other times when I'm traveling. I love to read just before going to sleep, but DH can't handle any light (even the itty-bitty book light), so I've had to abandon that habit. :(

Am I the only person who doesn't reread Harry Potter? I have so many books I want to read that I just can't find the time to go back...I hadn't reread a book since my childhood until my book club chose A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I read as a child.

Dea
08-02-2007, 10:30 AM
JessieW I borrowed the sequel to The Golden Compass from the library the other day. I haven't started it yet though

JessieW
08-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Laurie, I don't really watch TV, I read instead. And often I read instead of doing housework, so that's not good! After reading for work all day, I enjoy reading something I don't have to correct at night!! I've gotten out of doing this as much--too busy!--but I often take a bath at night and read. And I usually read before bed, although lately I have been too tired, or I've read my Bible (probably better to do!).

I read HP for 8 hours straight until I was finished and didn't feel bad about it at all!!!! ;) I reread much less than I used to, but I still wanted to read HP 5 and 6 so I would remember what was going on. Other than that I've only reread one book in the last year (those 80s numbers are keeping track of books I've read since September 06--I am trying to make it to 100!).

tomandkara
08-02-2007, 08:42 PM
I read in the evenings after the kids have gone to bed while Tom is watching TV, because he's usually watching something I don't care to see.

I don't know why James Patterson sounded familiar to me. I don't do romances or thrillers! Probably saw his books on display at the store or something.

Aw, Laurie, I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! I'm a huge fan of young adult literature - The Giver, Gathering Blue, Bridge to Teribithia, Johnny Tremain, Where the Red Fern Grows...I could go on and on.

Kara

srmb60
08-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Patterson is very prolific! I like the Alex Cross ones best. Along Came a Spider, um ... Roses are Red ...

Honeymoon was gory!

The ladies who solve murders together are OK. 1st to Die, 2nd Chance ...

Suzanne's Diary For Nicholas was a tear jerker!

srmb60
08-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Oh and I love a good serial murder! Fascinating psychopathology.
CSI, Investigative Reports, American Justice, City Confidential ...

cielle
08-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Laurie, glad you found the link useful.

Susan, I read American Psycho back when it first came out. I don't really remember much about it, other than that it was disturbing.

Kara, I'm sure you saw his book on display somewhere. He's hugely popular. I like his women's murder club series, but I'm not a big fan of any of his others. His short chapters drive me bonkers.

rebel
08-03-2007, 02:09 PM
57) Weedflower by Cynthia Kadohata
middle school age fiction

It's told from the perspective of Sumiko, a young girl born to a Japanese immigrant family in the U.S. during World War II. Weedflower chronicles the treatment of Sumiko's family, as the older men not born in the U.S. are shipped off to a virtual prison, and the rest of the family is sent to a detention camp in the desert. Their property, not to mention their dignity, are stripped away because of fear caused by the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Sumiko, however, maintains hope through her passion for growing flowers.

Pretty good. good character development, not very plot driven. I enjoyed it but not sure either of my kids (ages 10 and 12) would.

58) No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman
grades 5-7. Both my 5th grader and my 7th grader loved this book.

Here's one for every reader weary of being assigned novels in which the dog dies. (Old Yeller, Sounder, Where the Red Fern Grows, etc)

For expressing his true views of Old Shep, My Pal, eighth-grade football hero Wallace Wallace earns a detention that takes him off the team and plunks him down in the auditorium, where his almost equally stubborn English teacher is directing a theatrical version of--you guessed it.

Very funny. Has something to say about friendship, and honesty, and drama nerds vs. jocks.

59) Foul Matter by Martha Grimes.

I loved this novel with its satirical view of the publishing industry, combined with a Mafia spoof. I had taken it out along with the last couple of mysteries that she wrote, but took the mysteries back to the library unread. I enjoyed this book immensely; moreso than most Amazon reviewers it appears.

60) Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg

(from Amazon)
Smilla Jaspersen, half Danish, half Greenlander, attempts to understand the death of a small boy who falls from the roof of her apartment building. Her childhood in Greenland gives her an appreciation for the complex structures of snow, and when she notices that the boy's footprints show he ran to his death, she decides to find out who was chasing him. As she attempts to solve the mystery, she uncovers a series of conspiracies and cover-ups and quickly realizes that she can trust nobody. Her investigation takes her from the streets of Copenhagen to an icebound island off the coast of Greenland. What she finds there has implications far beyond the death of a single child. The unusual setting, gripping plot, and compelling central character add up to one of the most fascinating and literate thrillers of recent years.

This took me ages to read - in part because we were on vacation in UP Michigan and Ontario so either hiking or driving or coralling/entertaining kids. But also because I just couldn't get into it, though at the same time I felt compelled to finish it.

And maybe because my father was a glaciologist who did much of his early work in Greenland kept me from being as interested as I might have been otherwise. (personal baggage? )

I just didn't care much about Smilla. Or anyone else.

beachgal, I'm with you when it comes to HP. We did have to leave our wilderness camping and find a town in order to buy it for my son and dh, though.

Kara, d'you want to join us at The Newbery Project (http://newberryproject.blogspot.com/) ?

beachgal
08-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow...love all the talk here! :cloud9:

KO...sorry to ignore you by mistake!!! :o So You Want to Write is fantastic...it's amazing that as old as it is (1935?) it's still SO current and fabulous! Have you read a book called The Way of the Artist or something like that? A friend of mine was reading it and found so much inspiration. Sounds right up your alley! :)

Susan, glad to hear that Honeymoon wasn't an example of the norm for Patterson. I'll have to try an Alex Cross one sometime!

Jessie, I hear you on trying to read so many books...though I haven't been counting mine. I really should keep some kind of record of the books I read...oy! Good for you on doing so many!!! Love the bath/book idea...how do you get into the bath thing in the summer? Do you run a cool-ish one? I've been missing my baths, but it's SO hot!

Kara, I love YAlit and kidlit, so much! I adored The Giver and Gathering Blue (Lowry is a genius, I tell ya!!!). I haven't read Where the Red Fern Grows, though. Some of my other favorites are Frindle, Running Through Time, and Star Girl .

Kiko
08-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I just finished The Glass Castle last night. Just got back from the library and checked out A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Something Borrowed. I figured I could balance slightly depressing with the lighter Emily Giffin book.

I haven't been getting through books too quickly as it is hard to break away from the kids during the day to read. Then when I lay down to read at night I typically fall asleep!

Barb0522
08-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Dea - I was looking for some books on CD to play in the car on our drive to/from San Antonio and my 10 year old, Brian, and I got hooked on Tamora Pierce's Children of Magic series. I checked out two books from the library on CD (total 13 hours) and we got hooked so badly we listened on ever drive during the week and ran out of book two hours before we got home! We had to stop at the library before we even drove to the house! We still need to get one book in the series but it is still checked out.

I'm reading OOP to Brian as a bedtime book and not making much progress on any reading for me. I haven't gotten hooked on the book I started before my trip.

beachgal
08-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Just finished OOP...I'm so sad that it's over, but unlike books 5 and 6, when I finished, I felt like I'd just finished a gourmet meal in the great hall, rather than swallowed the polyjuice potion for Crabbe and Goyle. :P It was fabulous and I really loved it, but definitely will miss reading those great books...am jealous for those who are just starting it or still working their way through!

Okay, back to So You Want to Write...

Sheba's Mom
08-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Laurie you asked how we get to read so much. I am a captive audience at work for my lunch hour. I have a 40 minute commute and I bring my lunch so I eat lunch and then read for the rest of my lunch hour. I also read on my commute on the days I don't have to drive the carpool.

My hubby and I don't watch much of any TV anymore so most nights we set and read for a while after dinner before we clean up the kitchen.

Also I have found that as I'm getting older I sleep better if I read for 10-30 minutes (depending on how good the book is) before I turn out the lights to go to sleep. My husband is light sensitive also but he has figured out that reading works for him also so we both read for a short while before we go to sleep. He also has figured out that if I sleep better I don't wake up a cranky, crabby witch in the morning so it's a two fold gain for him.

I too have to decide between crafts and reading. It is such a hard decision some nights!!

Right now I'm reading Murder in the Rough by J S Borthwick and All Things Hidden by Kathy Herman. I'm not sure I like either one of them at this point but I can't not finish book so I'm stuck with them until they are finished.

SandStripedcj
08-08-2007, 11:03 PM
at the moment i am in the middle of 4 books...

philosophy of lord of the rings (self-explanatory)
hardcore zen: punk Rock, monster Movies, & the truth about Reality (i like a little zen)
the gamble (silly historical romance novel)
son of summer stars (yafiction)

:)

hopefully will finish son of summer stars and the gamble soon....

JessieW
08-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I finished two books I've been working on Tuesday and last night--both new authors and letters I needed!

Briar Rose by Jane Yolen--really great fairy tale retelling. I am a little obsessed with fairy tale stuff as a result of my college days! I thought this one was wonderful and I have another one in the series, Snow White and Rose Red, on the way to me to read!

Let Them Eat Cake by Sandra Byrd--Christian chicklit title about a 20-something who lives with her parents and can't seem to find a job she likes. She studied French and takes a job at a French bakery despite the poor pay. I was a little wary of the "Christian-ness" of the novel as there is a bit of alcohol, but it was dealt with well, you just don't usually see that from Christian publishers. [[OK, this is actually the Christian division of Random House, so that might explain a little.]] ANYWAY, the story was cute and a good read, it was a little teenagery, I guess due to the fact that the main character herself was stuck a little in teenager land. Definitely enjoyable though.

femmecreole
08-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I used to read all of the time, but over the last few years find that I don't have the time I used to have. Right now I'm reading two books..one for fun and one for research.
The fun one is: SOMEBODY IS GOING TO DIE IF LILLY BETH DOESN'T CATCH THAT BOUQUET: The official Southern Ladies' guide to hosting the perfect wedding

And the research one is: Revolution, Romanticism, and the Afro-Creole Protest Tradition in Louisiana

One of my clients also sent me a series of books..pictorials of New Orleans by decades. I have just thumbed through them, but want to go page by page when I can. She is an author who sends me books from time to time. Her book (http://www.morganapress.com)stays on my coffee table all the time.

cottagebythesea
08-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Beachgal, Does OOP mean Order of the Phoenix? That's what I'm reading right now, I finished Goblet of Fire last night, and started reading OOP this morning. I'm only on page 59 right now, but I hope to have it finished by the weekend. I am really enjoying the HP series, something I never thought I'd like to read! Maybe by the end of the month I'll be ready to read the final book. :)

Barb0522
08-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Order of the Phoenix is what I am reading Brian as a bedtime story. That is what Beachgal and I meant when we talked about OOP. I'm on chapter 10 or 11 right now and it is good enough that I hate to stop when it is time to go to sleep.

We enjoyed the movie and it is neat to see how much extra stuff is in the book.

JessieW
08-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Laurie, did you mean you finished Deathly Hallows?

Schmoodle
08-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I read Deathly Hallows the first weekend it was out at the beach and I want to read it again but I need a little distance from it before I dive back in. I loved it though Right now, I'm going back through Half Blood Prince to check on some things. Not really reading it, but just bits here and there. Last week I read The Virgin Suicides, which was really, really wierd, but interesting and well written enough that I finished it. I'm not sure yet if I liked it or not, I need some time to think about it, it's one of those kinds of books. Not enough time for fun reading much this summer! Mostly reading boring technical stuff for work.

JessieW
08-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I read the first two chapters of How to Be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward last night, and it may be coming on the trip with me as it seems really good and I've heard great things about it!

Book Description: Joseph and Isabelle Winters seem to have it all: a grand home in Holt, New York, a trio of radiant daughters, and a sense that they are safe in their affluent corner of America. But when five-year-old Ellie disappears, the fault lines within the family are exposed: Joseph, once a successful businessman, succumbs to his demons; Isabelle retreats into memories of her debutante days in Savannah; and Ellie’s bereft sisters grow apart–Madeline reluctantly stays home, while Caroline runs away.

Fifteen years later, Caroline, now a New Orleans cocktail waitress, sees a photograph of a woman in a magazine. Convinced that it is Ellie all grown up, Caroline embarks on a search for her missing sister. Armed with copies of the photo, an amateur detective guide, and a cooler of Dixie beer, Caroline travels through the New Mexico desert, the mountains of Colorado, and the smoky underworld of Montana, determined to salvage her broken family.

JessieW
08-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Rescuing this chat from page 3!

What I read on my summer vacation (LOL...it wasn't a vacation really...but I can't resist!):

How to Be Lost by Amandra Eyre Ward--it wasn't QUITE as good as I was expecting it to be, but still a really fast and interesting read with a different storyline.

Elementary, My Dear Watkins by Mindy Starns Clark--third in the Tulip (Smart Chick) mystery series. I love this little series and this one was a great ending!

Notes from a Spinning Planet: Mexico by Melody Carlson--third in this teenage Christian series. Truly teenaged, so very light, but cute.

I am reading an ARC of Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife by Irene Spencer, and it's definitely something else! It's a memoir and the author feels the need to describe every single detail of her entire life, which gets a bit trying, but the subject matter is fascinating.

TurboLeda
08-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Just finished "Confessions of a Jane Austin Addict" about a woman who is jilted by her fiancee (he cheated) and somehow transports into the life of a woman living in 1813...! it was goood!

beachgal
08-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Just finished "Confessions of a Jane Austin Addict" about a woman who is jilted by her fiancee (he cheated) and somehow transports into the life of a woman living in 1813...! it was goood!

TurboLeda, who is the author? This sounds right up my alley! :) I adore Jane Austin...even dragged poor DH on a Jane Austin tour in Bath a couple years ago. ;)

I'm kind of bouncing around right now, reading bits and pieces from several non fiction books including Food and Mood (fascinating!!!), 1,001 Ways to Be More Romantic, and Brenda Ueland's So You Want to Write. I'm also listening to Jodi Picoult's Keeping Faith on CD in the car.

I recently read Tedd Arnold's first young adult book, Rat Life, (he's a famous children's author) and was pretty impressed. It was a fun read because he basically set it in my home town (which is also his home town), changing the names just slightly. It's a story about a teenage boy in the summer of 1972 who meets a Vietnam vet who seems about his age and also gets involved in solving a murder mystery. It's pretty raw and honest and really well written.

We're going to read Annie Fadiman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral for my next book club meeting--I need to get going on it! Didn't someone here recommend that one? :?:

Ruthxxx
08-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm reading The Time Traveller's Wife which is my book club selection and thoroughly enjoying it! It's fun. Unfortunately the Garden Club meets the same night as the Book Club so I'll miss the discussion. (Don't you hate it when they set up a regular date and then change it?) I'm not sure I'll continue with the Club as it really isn't a heck of a lot of fun. We have a couple of snobby/snotty types who look down their noses at some of our members - one of them even closes her eyes when she speaks to some people.

I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter and Eighteen Minutes earlier this summer. The first was semi-interesting and the second was a bit of a waste of time for me. To me, it read like Young Adult but that may have been just the space I was in. Funny, because my sister adored it and we usually like the same books. I also ploughed through On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan and found it just a bit less boring than Saturday. I must pay more attention to authors!

Right now I have a stack of New Yorker's and Threads magazines to tackle. I've been saving them for a quiet time which doesn't seem to be happening. I also have a couple of library books sitting around and can't remember what they are - An Audience of Chairs and Kite Runner - reports later.

JessieW
08-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Laurie, I loved Fabulous Traveling Funeral--it's a fantastic women-friendship book. :)

KO
08-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I just read Julie/Julie about the girl who spent a year cooking from the Julia childs cookbook
soo funny! soo inspiring so much butter blurgh!

beachgal
08-29-2007, 09:53 AM
:lol3: KO...yes, Julia Childs was a vedy Frrrrench style cook and used plenty of butter! Although I must say, during the time she was cooking, she was probably a lot healthier than all those watchers who were religiously using margarine! :eek: :yikes: Think of all that trans fat!!! :faint: I'll have to add Julie/Julia to my list...it does sound like fun!

Jessie, I'm so glad you liked Annie Freeman's.... The beginning of the book was one of the very best I've ever read...it hooked you in like nobody's business! Ruth, you would LOVE this book, I think...it reminded me a lot of your irreverance and spunk and humor. :hug: I brought it to work with me and will read more at lunch. Can't wait!

I'm sorry your book club isn't more fun, Ruth. :( I love mine and it can be such a fun experience...I wonder if you can start your own with the nicer members or join a different group? You have just the right attitude and spunk for a Red Hat group, hon...wonder if there are any Red Hat book clubs? :chin:

JessieW
09-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Laurie, I am guessing you finished Annie Freeman if your book club is tonight. Did you love it?

I am reading Leonardo's Swans by Karen Essex--historical fiction set in Italy. I think I was trying to find another Birth of Venus, and this is not it, but it's not bad so far! I'm also reading The First Five Years by Bill and Pam Farrel, a marriage book about the first five years of marriage and things to do that can help your marriage in the future. I'm reading it to review but it's also very helpful to me!

I also read to review Just Beyond the Clouds by Karen Kingsbury. It was my first of her books, and I really enjoyed it.

beachgal
09-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Hey, Jessie! Yes, I finished Annie Freeman literally hours before I set off for my retreat and not only was it TOTALLY FANTASTIC (I LOVED it!!! :love: ), but it was such a perfect start to my weekend, which I spent with SARK! (author of Succulent Wild Woman, The Creative Companion, Eat Mangoes Naked, Transformation Soup, etc, etc, etc...) Thank you SO much for the recommendation! :hug: I can't wait to read the rest of Radish's books. I just loved her spirit, her way of writing, and the inspiration in her books. Can't wait for the discussion tonight! :dancer:

I'm kind of between books at the moment, though I've been listening to Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult on CD in the car. I still have four disks to go and I'm on disk 12!!! I have to return it to the library today and so I think I better get the actual book so I can finish it! Yikes! It's VERY good though I honestly don't think it had to be this long.

Our next books for book club are The Memory Keeper's Daughter and Water for Elephants. Has anyone else read them? I'm not really that interested in the first and the summary of the second totally turned me off. I hope to hear something positive about them so I can get into them... :chin: