100 lb. Club - Breakfast Ideas????

View Full Version : Breakfast Ideas????

Trazey34
01-06-2007, 12:09 PM
OK, I'm not a huge fan of breakfast -- only started eating it last year! I'm out of ideas for what to eat, and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm assuming muffins or bagels from where I pick up coffee is a no-no :(

I've read every recipe in the world LOL, but I can't face cooking first thing in the a.m., I usually have a little bit of cottage cheese, a piece of low-fat deli meat, like turkey or ham, and a pear or some other piece of fruit -- as it's compact and I can take it to work and eat it at my desk.

I've tried the lower sugar instant oatmeal and that's not too bad.

What do you guys like to have for breakfast???:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

GirlyGirlSebas
01-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi Trazey,

I'm on Southbeach, so I usually have 6 ounces of V8 juice and some turkey bacon. I probably should have a bigger breakfast, but breakfast is new to me too. It sounds like you are on track for a healthy breakfast as you are including protein with your carbs. This helps to prevent a sugar spike in your body and helps prevent the mid morning slump.

futuresurferchick
01-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I usually have cereal (like GoLean or Fibre1) with skim milk, or toast with peanut butter or sometimes an All-Bran bar... and sometimes I'm good and have fruit with it. :)

howie6267
01-06-2007, 01:53 PM
I used to do Kashi every morning but they are really coming out with some bad studies on the effects of soy. That's not why I stopped eating it though. I just found and egg sandwich stays with me a lot longer than a bowl of cereal.

So every morning I have a fried egg sandwich(fried with Pam) with an ounce of sharp cheddar cheese. It keeps me going much longer and it's yummy. I know you said you don't like to cook but it is a quick one to prepare. I stick my bread in to toast and by the time my coffee and toast are done I have the egg fried. About 10 minutes total.

PattyW
01-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Here's a few suggestions:

2 scrambled eggs
1 piece of whole wheat toast

Whole grain cereal
Skim milk

Cheese toast (on whole wheat bread)

Oatmeal
Skim milk

Turkey bacon
V-8

Omeletes require a little more prep and cooking but these are pretty easy and might work for you on the weekends when you aren't in a rush to get to work:

Mushroom Omelete (2 eggs, 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, kosher salt, pepper, cooked in 2 teasp of canola oil).

Ranchero Omelete (2 eggs topped with 1 T chopped tomato, 1 T shreaded Monterey Jack cheese, 1/4 teasp. finely chopped jalapeno chilli peppers, 1/2 teasp. cilantro, and 1 T chopped red, green or yellow bell pepper.)

boaterswife
01-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi Trazey!

I'm on WW, so all of my breakfasts tend to be lower in points. I am a huge oatmeal fan, so I tend to have that for breakfast most weekday mornings as it sticks with me for a long time, and for only 3 points I have a filling start to my day that also includes some calcuim from the milk. I also do fried egg sandwiches, using either Wonder Lite bread or Healthy life bread. Each of these brands are only 1 point for 2 slices! Another FABULOUS breakfast sandwich is a mini omlette, cheese, green pepper and ham sandwich made on a Healthy Life english muffin. Very tasty, and the muffins toast well. I don't recommend the WW english muffins, though. They are the same point value, but sort of have the texture of a sponge. ICK! You can always supplement these breakfast choices with additional fresh fruit!

Spinymouse
01-06-2007, 02:18 PM
I do not like any of the traditional breakfast food items and I am very rebellious against the idea that breakfast food has to be different from any other food. Today I had half of a tuna sandwich for breakfast. Sometimes I will cook in the evening, "dinner food" and just put it in the fridge to save for breakfast.

howie6267
01-06-2007, 02:24 PM
I used to do the low cal breads but they just put so much extra junk in them that is not needed. I have really been trying to stick to less processed foods. Yes my bread is 100 calories a slice so I only eat one slice. I just cut it in half for my egg sandwich. I think we would all do better if we try and stick with whole foods and stay away from the processed stuff. I buy brownberry bread for the most part but you even have to watch some of there breads have the enriched processed flour or high fructose corn syrup. Not trying to seem snooty here just saying what works for me. What I really love is right next to my office is a Great Harvest Bread store. I by a fresh loaf once a week to keep at the office. I like to have a slice with peanut butter and jelly or make toast with butter and jelly.

cupcake84
01-06-2007, 03:40 PM
one of my new fave breakfasts is like a egg white burrito, i just scramble some egg whites, onion , green pepper and a small bit of ham, put it in one of the fat free 40 cal tortillas with a slice of fat free cheese and some salsa.

you could probably make this the night before, just add the salsa after you nuke it?

CLCSC145
01-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't like doing a lot of work in the morning so I cook up 4 servings of steel cut oatmeal (Quaker has one now) at a time and put it in 4 containers in the fridge (makes a cup each). In the morning, I grab one, pour in a little milk and nuke it for 2 minutes. A quick stir and it's like it just simmered for 20 minutes! I'll eat that with a tangerine and some almonds, or I'll stir in a sliced banana and some walnuts. Other days, I'll have an egg or two like Howie (cooked in non-stick spray), a piece of fruit, and a glass of milk.

melsfolly
01-06-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't have time to cook during the week, so most of my weekday breakfast menus include the instant low sugar oatmeal, a piece of fruit and a glass of milk. But about once every month or two I make a batch of cinnamon rolls to keep up in the freezer for those days that I want something sweet (low fat crescent rolls each molded around 8-20 mini marshmallows then rolled in a combination of cinnamon and spenda - baked in a muffin tin sprayed with Pam). And on the weekends I will sometimes make the No Bread French Toast (which I found on someone's blog a couple of years ago) - which is 1 egg, 1/4 c egg whites, splenda and cinnamon whisked together. Cook it just like you do omelettes. Remove from heat when firm & dust it with a little more Splenda and 2 tsp of light maple syrup. Mmmmm, mmmmm good! And in case you can't tell - cinnamon is one of my favorite things in the world! :D

Melissa

108tolose
01-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I eat oatmeal almost every day. I love it and it's easy.

Heather
01-06-2007, 04:19 PM
You didn't say if you're following a particular plan, so some of these may not work for you:

- My husband loved the sausage mcmuffins, so I make my own version. Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patty (65 cals), 1 slice lowfat cheese, and a light whole wheat english muffin. Toast the muffin and when it's done, heat the sausage and slap on the cheese. Sometimes I add an egg white (cooked with Pam), and it's more a sub of the sausage egg mcmuffin.

- whole wheat pita (1 oz) toasted. Add 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 small banana and a dash of cinnamon.

- A breakfast "smoothie" -- play around with it. Fruit and yogurt whipped in a blender...

- oatmeal (I just use old fashioned quaker) and then add frozen blueberries after it's cooked...

melissalaurel
01-06-2007, 04:32 PM
I've been going easy on breakfast and saving my ww points for when I'm actually hungry. This morning I had a big cup of hot decaff tea (0 pts!) and a small frozen store brand bagel with 2tbsp of cream cheese for 5 pts, which is not bad at all. I'm sure one of the regular size bagels are too big but the small ones are just enough. When I'm really in a rush I eat a Pria bar.
Good luck finding some great breakfast foods.

susie_sunshine
01-06-2007, 04:44 PM
I used to do the low cal breads but they just put so much extra junk in them that is not needed. I have really been trying to stick to less processed foods. Yes my bread is 100 calories a slice so I only eat one slice. I just cut it in half for my egg sandwich. I think we would all do better if we try and stick with whole foods and stay away from the processed stuff. I buy brownberry bread for the most part but you even have to watch some of there breads have the enriched processed flour or high fructose corn syrup. Not trying to seem snooty here just saying what works for me. What I really love is right next to my office is a Great Harvest Bread store. I by a fresh loaf once a week to keep at the office. I like to have a slice with peanut butter and jelly or make toast with butter and jelly.

I agree with howie. I don't buy the diet or sugar free stuff. I do my own baking- including bread and slice it thinly with an electric knife. I'd rather eat real food and eat less of it than eating a bunch of additives....

CIRCLES
01-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi Trazey

Not sure if you or any of the other would agree with this but it works fine for me.

I cook my omeletes or any other egg I like the night before and heat them in the microwave at work the next morning. Boiled eggs heat a cup of water and then drop the egg in it for a few minutes and it's heated through. I have even read on a few boards a recipe for I think it's called egg muffins or something like that. You scramble enough eggs and whatever fillings you like onions, peppers, cheese whatever fill muffin tin and bake. You freeze and then you take out as you need and heat in microwave.

Hope this helps

cupcake84
01-06-2007, 06:23 PM
that eggs in the muffin tin thing is a really good idea!! thanks, i will be using that when i go back to work!

Luminous
01-06-2007, 06:54 PM
I love the egg idea too. :cool:

My breakfast. I wake up hungry, and I don't like to think when I wake up, and cooking requires (a modicum of) thought, so cooking is out. I also hate variety in the morning. 99% of the time breakfast is bran flakes in soy milk with a banana sliced on top. I do okay switching to shredded wheat if I have to, but if I'm out of bananas, watch out! :devil:

CyberGypsy
01-06-2007, 07:11 PM
I have long cooking thick oatmeal every day....and i think thats what has been letting me lose weight :)

KnitALisa
01-06-2007, 11:10 PM
I HAVE to eat breakfast. If I don't, I turn into the craziest, spaciest, meanest witch ever! It ain't pretty! ;) Even if I'm not really hungry, I force myself to cram down something so I don't have the blood sugar spike.

But I don't always eat breakfast foods. Eat what sounds appealing. Somedays that's eggs, others, it's leftovers from dinner. Long as it fits into your plan and gets ya going, who cares if it's "real" breakfast food?

jillybean720
01-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I don't like to waste time cooking in the morning, but I LOVE having my breakfast smoothie after I work out. Since I just exercised, I'm hot and ready for a nice, cold smoothie. I just use 1 small frozen banana, about 1.5-2 cups skim milk, and 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder mixed up in my Magic Bullet cup (which I love because with the Magic Bullet, I can ensure I only make 1 serving). The protein keeps me full, I get quite a bit of nutrition, and it's just plain yummy, quick, and easy!

Howie/Susie--there are some breads that aren't full of crap that are also lower in calories. I buy Nature's Own bread, which is 100% whole grain AND all natural, and it only has 50 calories per slice--no HFCS, no "enriched" anything, not high in sodium, etc. Just an FYI :^:

GirlyGirlSebas
01-07-2007, 10:08 AM
I forgot about smoothies...I should have them for breakfast. I usually have one in the afternoon. I'm on Phase 1 of Southbeach, so no fruit for me yet. My smoothies are made with silken tofu, lowfat yogurt and lowfat, lowsugar soymilk. I can add whatever flavorings I'l like...I've used a couple of sprinkles of sugar free jello mix, vanilla flavoring and sugar free rasberry syrup. Yum Yum!

nelie
01-07-2007, 10:36 AM
I have a breakfast smoothie every morning although I'm thinking of mixing it up. I recently bought steel cut oats and I think I've figured out how to cook them. I cooked them in the rice cooker today but that didn't work so well (there was a little spill). I think I am going to do the crocker pot method next time.

Obsidianbbw
01-07-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't eat eggs and I am not really into most other breakfast foods. Sometimes I eat fruit, or a small sandwich, or an egg white omelette, vegetables with a little salad dressing. I also don't eat breakfast if I am not actually hungry. I haven't suffered for it, but if you're on a program that requires it I would look at your plan, maybe have a more lunchy type of breakfast and adjust all your other meals. Or something from the snack portion and work from there.

I think the word breakfast means the first meals of the day, no rules on what the meal has to be.

I do not like any of the traditional breakfast food items and I am very rebellious against the idea that breakfast food has to be different from any other food. Today I had half of a tuna sandwich for breakfast. Sometimes I will cook in the evening, "dinner food" and just put it in the fridge to save for breakfast.

howie6267
01-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I will have to check out Natures Own. Sounds like a winner. Thanks for the heads up.

jillybean720
01-08-2007, 06:30 AM
hehe, thank goodness for this thread because we went on a trip over the weekend, and now it's Monday morning and I'm ready for my breakfast smoothie...but I am OUT of milk :o Time to find something else for breakfast today :dizzy:

Cheryl14
01-08-2007, 11:36 AM
I work out in the morning and am usually very hungry when I wake up, too. I have found that cooked oatmeal with fat-free yogurt and fresh fruit keeps me satified until lunchtime. If I have regular cereal- even Raisin Bran- I tend to get hungry much sooner.

Another breakfast that I like is leftovers from dinner! I had grilled chicken with vegetables the other day with a bit of brown rice. VERY YUMMY, healthy, and filling!

Cheryl

barbygirl43
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
My breakfasts I don't really have to have the variety I want the rest of the day so I will alternate between oatmeal (not the instant) with 1 tbs. of peanut butter and splenda for sweetener and drink either 8 oz. of lowfat milk or 4 oz. of OJ with 4 oz. of water added.

I'll make an egg white omelet (not sure who here told me about them). I use one whole egg and 3 egg whites at 1 oz. of cheese (I don't mess with the lowfat ones) and some deli ham. If I have peppers in the house I'll throw those in as well and have a glass of milk or OJ

The oatmeal with PB is around 250 calories
And the omelet is around 280 calories

Cereal and milk doesn't last with me very long either.

Mami
01-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Kashi hot cereal mixed w/ 1/2 cup fresh blueberries or blackberries and 1/8 cup crushed walnuts; microwave in 2/3 cup water for 2 minutes. Yummy and extremely filling (about 300 cal).

djs06
01-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Low-fat ricotta cheese with 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.. yummy

Two soft-boiled eggs with one slice of bread

Egg beaters with one slice of bacon on a slice of white bread

Light yogurt with a scoop of whey protein

MaWhit
01-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Oatmeal with peanut butter, huh? I'll have to try that.

I generally have a light yogurt drink, or morningstar veggie breakfast links, with a piece of fruit and coffee.

SuchAPrettyFace
01-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Today I had:

Sara Lee heart healthy wheat bread
^^with 1 wedge laughing cow light cheese instead of butter
2 dried figs
2 morningstar farms breakfast patties

I like the oatmeal with peanut butter, too. :) I buy the instant plain & then flavor it up with cinnamon. The plain has no salt added, unlike the other kinds. Sometimes I put raisins, sometimes chopped dates & nuts, sometimes just cinnamon & honey.

As for eggs, I love them in the morning. So what I sometimes do is make them the night before & stick them in a gladware or other container & bring them to work with me to eat once I get here. I usually do 2 Eggland's Best, scrambled, with salt-free seasonings, and about 1/2-3/4 cup "fried" potato chunks (exactly what it sounds like, just use less oil & make it olive.) I usually cook the potato first in the microwave, then chunk it up & fry in a very small amount of olive oil. I bought some grits to try, because I got bored with potatoes. I'm still not sure how to cook them or what to add, but I will figure it out.

Cold cereal always leaves me hungry too. I have to have some protein, carbs and fruit to be happy with my breakfast.

SexyRevealed
01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
I have 2 main breakfasts that I rotate:

Quaker Weight Control Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal (sometimes w/ protein powder added)

Special K Low Carb, sprinkled with Splenda w/ skim milk (the best low carb cereal I've tried)

I also like Canadian bacon, egg (beaters) and low fat american cheese on whole wheat toast. I usually make this on the weekends.

I like the egg muffin tin idea too. I did that once when I was on Atkins. Mayble I'll do that this weekend, and mix some Canadian bacon and low fat cheese in...

NESunshine
01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Well I've always been a breakfast person...Now I just eat at home instead of at Dunkin Donuts! I have long days that start at 5:00AM and goes till about midnight now that I go to the gym after work (and have a 3 hour round trip commute)so i literally don't have time or the energy to waste 'cooking' breakfast, so I put everything together the night before. When I shop on Sundays I also cook some things for the week and pre-portion things like chicken for dinners, make a batch of brown rice and get the fridge ready to go for the week.. Most days I go with some sort of egg...either 1 boiled egg or scrambled egg beaters (sometimes with a bit of cheese) Usually 1 slice of toast and a grapefruit. I've also been throwing in a cup of skim milk in the mornings most days too. Lately I've been experimenting with Arnold brand bread.... but I'm not in love and still looking for something regular at the bakery.

I prep everything while I get dinner ready the night before, cut the grapefruit, pour the milk in the cup, pull out the slice of bread plastic wrap it all and stack it right on the top shelf in the fridge, next to my lunch that I'll take for work and pre-prepped dinner for the next night...I set the pans on the stove, set the coffee pot up, pull out a plate and a fork etc. Even if its oatmeal, I measure it out, get it in the bowl and have the water ready to go. Breakfast usually runs me about 250-350 calories a day and I can have it ready to go in the mornings in about 10 minutes or less. I also keep an arsenal of things like packets of oatmeal even a bowl of fruit on my desk at work in case there is a late day to keep me away from the bagel store!

Other things I do is the scrambled egg white breakfast burrito (with peppers, some light cheese and sometimes some Thin n Trim Ham) I use Joseph's whole wheat, flax & Oat bran tortillas ... cook the egg, wrap it all in the tortilla and finish it off in the George foreman. Cereal I stick with cornflakes or cheerios.. I'm old school I guess...sometimes toss in some strawberries or a banana. Oh ya...I'm not on any 'plan' I'm just eating more whole fresh foods, limited processed food, & counting calories.

rockinrobin
01-24-2007, 06:51 PM
I was experimenting with different breakfasts, but didn't feel it was worth all the cooking and dish washing. For me, something about it didn't feel right - breakfast is supposed to be quick and easy as you're headed out the door - at least in my mind. Therefore, I went back to cereal and milk. For me it just feels right. I make it a high fiber/high protein one like Kashi Go Lean and add 1/2 cup skim milk. It really keeps me full until my mid morning snack and it's a treat to not have to cook for one of my meals. This is what's working for now, we'll see what happens in the future. I'm always open to a little tweak here and there every now and then.

jillybean720
01-24-2007, 07:00 PM
breakfast is supposed to be quick and easy as you're headed out the door
I completely agree! Especially now that I get up around 4:15am...definitely never want to stand at a stove (or even a microwave) that early :dizzy: For some reason, though, cereal never keeps me full (not even Kashi Go Lean Crunch), and I ALWAYS need more than a single serving of it and at least a full cup of milk. I'm soooooo glad I went to the store today and bought some bananas--I have been out and haven't had my breakfast smoothie at all yet this week! I've been sliding by on turkey sausage (which I don't cook until I get to work), but I'd rather not have all that sodium for breakfast every day.

nicolen
01-25-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm not good with food first thing in the morning - it makes me feel really nauseous. I've found that I'm fine once I'm up for a couple of hours, though, so I'm now eating breakfast - I didn't before.

I tend to take breakfast to work with me and eat it before I start work. it's usually cereal with milk or a tub of low fat yoghurt and fruit...

KristasMom
01-25-2007, 04:26 PM
How about 1 small container plain, fat-free yogurt, with either .25 cup Kashi cereal or fresh or water-packed fruit (or both) + Splenda

Or 6 oz low-fat cottage cheese with fruit and 1 Tbl sunflower seeds.

South Beach diet has egg muffins - veggies cooked in a muffin tin with eggs - we all eat these if I make them.

Weekends - slow-cooked organic rolled oats with fresh fruit *mmm strawberries * and walnuts. Or a veggie omelet with grapefruit or other fruit.

Breakfast can be fun - now I'm hungry!

VelVeeta
01-28-2007, 09:56 PM
I don't like to waste time cooking in the morning, but I LOVE having my breakfast smoothie after I work out. Since I just exercised, I'm hot and ready for a nice, cold smoothie. I just use 1 small frozen banana, about 1.5-2 cups skim milk, and 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder mixed up in my Magic Bullet cup (which I love because with the Magic Bullet, I can ensure I only make 1 serving). The protein keeps me full, I get quite a bit of nutrition, and it's just plain yummy, quick, and easy!

Howie/Susie--there are some breads that aren't full of crap that are also lower in calories. I buy Nature's Own bread, which is 100% whole grain AND all natural, and it only has 50 calories per slice--no HFCS, no "enriched" anything, not high in sodium, etc. Just an FYI :^:

Wow, i haven't heard of any bread without HFCS. I dont eat much of it but my bread intake continues to have hfcs in it. I figure if i have it in moderation, i will be ok. I will have to try this bread though! Thanks

nelie
01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Velveeta, there are actually a few breads without HCFS. The bread I buy is The Baker (www.the-baker.com). I buy their bread that doesn't contain any sugar but they do have some that contain honey as a sweetener. I highly recommend it because I think it is the best bread I've ever had.