South Beach Diet - Pets - 2007

View Full Version : Pets - 2007

Ruthxxx
01-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Since most of us have furries, finnies or featheries, here's a pet thread so we don't bore the non-pet people to death with our chat!

Please introduce your babies and post pictures if you like.

I'll go first.

My two Girls are mother and daughter, Hershey and Lucy, Portuguese Water Dogs. They are spoiled rotten but really are good dogs. They are both registered as therapy dogs and visit hospitals and nursing homes with me. They absolutely worship me - something everyone needs. Hershey is almost perfect but Lucy has some nutsy behaviour quirks - like eating my eyeglasses three times in 2005-2006 ! January 3 was the one year anniversary of the last munch!

Here's a pic of the two of them in their usual position!

annarenee
01-06-2007, 11:33 AM
I have two wonderful furkids, Lucy and Simon. Lucy is a brown tabby and Simon is a grey tuxedo cat. The are spoiled rotten and I love them to death. Lucy is pretty much the self appointed Queen of the apartment and is very kind to us commoners :D . Simon's nick name is Puppy because I believe he was one in a former life. He will eat anything that is dropped on the floor and runs to the fridge any time the door is open to see what he could eat. He also has this habit of 'begging' for food when I'm eating dinner.

Here they are taking an afternoon nap:

mamajok
01-06-2007, 01:09 PM
My little Angel :angel: is a registered Maltese...he brings us so much joy!:love:

DH and I read together every morning...while I read aloud he is on DH lap, when my DH reads aloud Lil Bear is on DH's lap...then we pray taking turns...when one of us says Amen...Lil Bear starts to jump up and kiss, and make squeaking sounds...he knows it's time to go potty!:dance:

He lies on a pad on my desk when I am at my computer...he's right beside me now...I am passionate about my dogs...have had them all my life. Now we're retired and living in a condo, only room for one dog.:(

RocknRoll
01-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Ok i have three pets: a black lab, a brittany spaniel, and a black cat!

The two pictures are of my black lab when she was a puppy and the other one she was sick in the picture but its just to show how she has gotten bigger! She has the biggest attitude and LOVES to play fetch. She is too strong for me to walk her so my father is training her (they are all family pets) She is 14 months old

The brittany is named charley and he is beautiful... the only picture i have of him is sleeping! haha! Well, he is a great looking dog and he is so well behaved now- he used to be a terror kind of like abby. He is 3 years old and i try to walk him 3-4 times per week when the weather permits.

Timmy the cat is really old he is either 8 or 9, no one really knows! We got him from an adoption center and he acts like a dog. In our old neighborhood he actually chased other dogs! He used to fat and then we put him on a diet but hes fat again because two people have been feeding him dinner thinking they were the only ones doing it!

I really love my pets :)

cinderly
01-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Oh, what sweet babies you all have! annarenee, I think ALL tuxedos think they're dogs -- ours certainly does.

I'm Mom to two rescue cats. Our older boy, Morkmer, is an oatmeal tabby. He just turned 4, but still loves to romp and play. We were given him by a former neighbor who travels too much to really take care of a pet. He is the original love kitty. Look at him and he starts purring. (That's where his name came from -- it evolved from "Snortmer" because he purrs so hard he snorts.)

Our younger cat, Milo, just turned 2, and he's a handful. He's a bundle of energy in a bandit mask and fancy dress (he's a black & white tuxedo). His favorite games are baseball and fetch. He's also got a nice, big voice and he's not afraid to use it. We call him our Clown Fuzzy because he's so wonderfully silly.

Schatzi
01-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Here's a cute game to play... find out what breed you are and Who owns Who in your house :lol: I'm leader of the Pack and I'm a Great Dane... :dizzy:

http://www.dogshowusa.com/games/profiler/whatbreedru.shtml

lilybelle
01-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I have a Chocolate lab named Molly. She is wonderful. We also now have 12 chocolate lab puppies. They are 3 weeks old and completely adorable. We have a cat named Robo, he is quite a character. We recently inherited a yellow cat that someone had dropped off here. He is called scaredy-cat as he is afraid of everyone but sticks around for the food. I'll post pic's after I get them. Pets are so much a part of our life.

ChrisnAmy02
01-07-2007, 01:22 PM
This is my baby, Brutus. He's a Puggle (mix between a Pug & Beagle). This pic is old, but I don't have any newer ones. :( I gotta work on that!

Ruthxxx
01-07-2007, 02:17 PM
The little darlings have gone home now. Both my Girls are resting up from the three days of fun, fun, fun!

The attached is from one of the few quiet moments of the weekend with Lucy trying to grab a quick nap beside her charges. She's the Mary Poppins of the dog world and just loved playing with the little guys although she's five years old!

md8384
01-08-2007, 12:23 PM
My house rabbits are two mini-lops named Casper and Cooper. I adopted them about two months ago from a boy who could no longer care for them! i can't find the pics I posted earlier... They are the best pets ever! They are litter box trained and pretty much run the house. Cooper likes to watch tv. Casper likes to rest until he gets really excited and then runs REALLY fast in circles and does lots of binkies (bunny happy dances where they jump in the air and shake all over!) before passing out again.
When I first got them they didn't trust us very much since they never got let out of their outdoor *gasp* cage, but now that they have gotten used to bossing me and my BF around, they are quite the little rascals.

Edited by Ruthxxx: Here's the link (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93935&page=2)to the post with the pics. Cute furries!

Ruthxxx
01-08-2007, 03:38 PM
I went to the groomer today with Lucy's puppy, Oreo, all 50 pounds of him! He's a big lad for nine months but behaved really well. He's much too skinny so I'll be doing a diet consult with his owner tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics of him before the event. I'll try for after pics later.

Schatzi
01-08-2007, 03:47 PM
He is so a dooor a bull Ruth!!! Good stock !! how big do portuguese water get?
Md: I was able to see the pics and they are CUTER THAN A BUNNY EAR!!!!

Such a cutie Puggle too!

beachgal
01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Wow, Ruthie, Oreo is so big!!! Your two girls are just fantastic...after meeting them I can understand even better why they are therapy dogs. They are just the right size for hugging and snuggling! :cloud9: What sweeties they are!!! :love: The beagles are adorable too...who were you watching them for?

Love everyone's furries, but was THRILLED to see another 'bunny slave' in md3484! :cp: We've been bunny slaves for almost 7 years now and it's great fun...those binkies are such heaven to see! :love: Our two are Bella (Head Bunny In Charge of Everyone and Everything) and Denali (I'm Just Here For The Treats). ;) Denali went through a sex change this year...aka we found out 'he' was a 'she' during a vet examination. I'm having trouble remembering to call him 'her'! Bella is 6 and Denali is 3. We also have a rescue pup, Lady. Pics of all three are below. Bella is grey, Denali is white with dark ears, and Lady is the one that looks like a dog. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/beachgalgarner/bellamodel.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/beachgalgarner/denali_m_nest.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/beachgalgarner/Ladylooksup.jpg

PHinsUP!
01-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Well I have 2 fur babies...We have a Chinchilla named Chili and that's my youngest DD holding him...and we have a pooch named Gidget (but most of the time she's called puh) my middle DD started that one. My DH calls Gidget the little Pupalump..or the Master Puh. She has many alias and answers to ALL of them! She's 2 yrs old and is a Lhasa Apso/Pekinese mix..and totally rules the roost!

cinderly
01-08-2007, 09:54 PM
A chinchilla! How cool!

What is it about some animals that make us constantly modify their names? Morkie (the oatmeal tabby) has about 20 names, half of which he'll acknowledge. Pretty good ratio of acknowledgment to name for a cat!

Happy Apple
01-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh wow, I could just hug Oreo to pieces - what a cute baby! And the bunnies are so cute. I don't know anyone with bunnies, so it's nice to know folks out here. They could pass for the Cadbury bunny at Easter time, but I'm sure they'd lay sugar-free, carb-free Cadbury eggs, lol! I'm allergic to cats so I can't have any :(, so I go visit my friends who have them and play with them there. I can't breath worth a darn for a few hours, but it's worth it to get my kitty fix.

These are my babies, both rescue dogs. Miss Hope, my little black cocker is a diva girl through and through. I've never had a prissy dog in my life, but you should see her come to life when I put a coat or dress on her, lol! She's blind and deaf, but makes up for it with an incredible nose and sense of style, ha! Wilson, well Wilson is my wild child. He's just goofy through and through, not a lick of sense but sweet as can be. And he has the same bad eating habits I have to fight, lol

I've also included my favorite picture from Halloween. Rosie, the springer spaniel, was 16. I had to help her to the bridge as they say, right before Thanksgiving. After 16 years together, I still miss her. She was the brains of the group. ;)

md8384
01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Yay for bunny slaves! It is oh so true! Beachgal, you'll relate to this bunny pride. I went to the book store because I'm always trying to pick up more tidbits of information on my babies and they had NOTHING about rabbits. So when I checked out and the guy asked me if I found everything okay, I think I surprised him by jumping on my house bun soap box on how I couldn't understand how they could have eighty million pet books on dogs and cats and horses and gerbils and even snakes and spiders but not a single one on rabbits which are just as popular if not more than most of those and how it was a particular injustice that such a large number of people get rabbits, but because people like them don't make pet literature available the people don't understand how to work with the rabbits and the rabbits get dumped in shelters or worse set free. I asked them to make sure they stocked the House Rabbit Handbook or some such literature for at least the rest of spring especially with the onset of Easter bunnies that will soon be here! My boyfriend was so embarassed. Gotta stand up for my babies though! I wish we had a HRS chapter or rabbit rescue nearby where I could volunteer, but the nearest rabbit rescue is at least an hour away. Ah well...

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o279/md8384/casper.jpg

This is Casper. He's really about four times this size but HATES to have his picture taken! He says, "Mom, there best be some dried papaya for me if I'm sitting still like this for you!"

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o279/md8384/cooper.jpg
Cooper is even more camera shy than Casper. She gets downright mad and stomps once she sees the camera come out!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o279/md8384/IMAGE_00046.jpg

This is Cooper in her Christmas elf outfit. Casper had a Santa suit but he would never keep it on long enough for a good photo op. He is a nudist bunny.

WildWoman
01-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Here are my kiddos-I know what you mean about people being mis informed about certain subjects-most people are not aware of the 100,000 US horses that are slaughtered for overseas consumption. There are 3 slaughterhouses in the US (foreign owned and NOT paying taxes BTW) tha do this and the MAJORITY are not the old and lame horses that end up there.
aacckk
aacckkk aaauuucccckkk
so sorry-was not going to get on my own soapbox-will stop now
here is Arizona 12 year old Thoroughbred mare-former life as racehorse-not sure what has happened to her since-I have had her a year.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/wildwomanLL/DSCF0153.jpg
Here's Little Joe coming 2 year old Quarter Horse colt-got him last June-came off the range-had never been touched before. VERY sensible dude.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/wildwomanLL/DSCF0152-1.jpg
Leo 15 year old Appaloosa gelding ruler of the herd
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/wildwomanLL/2006-06-06_0020.jpg
and George, 13 year old registered Arabian gelding-former competetive endurance horse.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/wildwomanLL/2006-04-27_0003.jpg
I got George and Leo in August 05.
I also have a DSH orange kitty Sparky that I have had 11 1/2 years and Shelly a red eared slider I have had 4 years-guess I need new pix of the house pets.

WildWoman
01-11-2007, 11:33 PM
PS and all 4 of my horses were slaughter bound rescues.

weezle
01-12-2007, 12:57 PM
OK, my siblings Oscar and Sophie are adorable!

Sophie with her boyfriend, Terry (DH) and her new favorite toy. Oscar with a Christmas bow on his head!

Sophie still looks worried....

BluePapillon
01-14-2007, 10:03 AM
I have 4 furbabies: Tux, Tigger (Tigger and Tux are about 2 1/2 years old) and Joey (Joey is about 1 1/2 years old) - our cats, and Daughtry the Destructo Demon Dawg - our pekinese (he is 10 months old).

Tux thinks he is the king of the house. Tigger is mama kitty (even though she has never had kittens). She is very protective of our family, particularly my 13 yo daughter. When my husband gets her down on the floor tickling her, all she has to do is scream and Tigger will run over and start biting him on his legs and arms. Joey is the baby kitty and very rambunctious. She is also quite the instigator. She will jump over the dog *just* high enough to smack him with her hind legs or tail. Then she bolts because she knows he's coming after her. Daughtry...well... hmmm... what to say about him... he's my baby, for sure, but oh, my gosh, he is into EVERYTHING (hence the nickname the destructo demon dawg).

Wouldn't change a thing about them, though! (well, no that isn't true..i wish Daughtry would finally get the hang of going poopy outside... he hasn't grasped that concept fully yet)....

Kim_Star060404
01-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Here are the loves of my life (besides DH, of course)! Little one is Ranger (Ranger Captain Augustus McCrae) and the biggun is Toby (Manitoba). They're wonderful, lazy, couch hogs! I love 'em to death!

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5696/rangersleepingzn5.jpg
Ranger is SUPPOSED to be a mini-dachsund, but he weighs 16 lbs. (The cap for minis is 10 lbs.) The vet thinks the mini-gene skipped him!
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8228/tobyoncouch2ad2.jpg
Toby's a yellow lab/chow mix.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2933/tobyoncouchln7.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9789/10008072iy3.jpg

Karen31
01-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Hello there, I have two pomeranians and they are both my spoiled babies!! Ginger is the red one, and I got her from the animal shelter 3 years ago. She just turned 4 on January 9. Sissy, the Sable one, was rescued from "NASTY" puppy mill. I got her on December 16, 2005. She sill be 3 on July 12. As you can tell I have had lots of fun spoiling them rotten! I have a stroller orderd for them and if our weather ever turns nice again we will be able to go for some long walks! I think all three of us will enjoy that! Thanks for letting me share. :) Karen

Ruthxxx
01-19-2007, 10:26 AM
My two are on the $hit list around here. They took off when Donna opened the door to shake out a mat and ran around in the snow for 3/4 of an hour. Luckily there's not much traffic and they stick to the my meadow, the cliff and the woods! With a bum knee there is no way I could take off after them but they did have a good run. It'll be snooze time this afternoon for the two brats. Grrrr!

JackieB
01-19-2007, 02:22 PM
This is Mollie....I couldn't resist putting the Halloween wig to use. Poor cat. I'm pretty sure she was unaware of it ;)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/KCelebrity/mollie1.jpg

And this is my "child" Rosie. I was dressed up for Halloween :D She's a Beagle/Sheltie mix that I kidnapped from neighbors down the street. Every time I walked by their house I could hear her being beaten or she would be chained up on a 2 foot chain in ice. I took her one day after she had been outside for 72 hours straight and no food :devil:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/KCelebrity/rosie3.jpg

Karen31
01-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Hello All,
I just had to add a couple pictures of Ginger and Sissy from their Halloween. I think they do it more to "humor us humans" Karen:)

Bunnababy
01-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Wildwoman: Do not jump off that soapbox ever ever ever. What a beautiful bunch of horses. I love horses. Just can't have any. They take up way more room than I have.

What a great thread. I have so enjoyed seeing all the pictures and hearing the pride and love for each one. This thread made my day.

I will attempt to get some pictures ready so I can share my crew. Five dogs (three rescue, eight cats (seven rescue), one beta. Fishy is on my desk at work and keeps me company.

Cristie
01-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi all, I am new here, and so excited to share weight loss as well as how much I love my Chihuahua, Herkimer. I do not have a pic yet, but I will be sure to get right on that! Herkimer is 1 1/2 and the light of our lives!! He is my first "Kid" and I am so proud of him! :D
My husband and I bought our first home just before Herkimer and he has been the best thing!
Thanks for being here I always loveto talk about Herkimer and share stories, it will be nice to have another venue!

Ninui
01-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi, all

I'm also new here and was so happy to find this thread! Everyone has such beautiful babies! Its really fun to look at the pictures and get my mind off the task at hand for a while (loosing weight). I hope this thread goes on for a long time.

As for me, I have 2 cats.........I had 3 but we lost our beautiful Jenny a few weeks ago. She was a beautiful, proud, fierce longhaired calico. We miss her very much. Here's a picture of her with my (skinny) DH, Steve.

The other 2 are rescues. The tuxedo cat is named 'Little' and I found her in the parking lot at work. She has the softest coat of any cat I have ever seen and is attatched to me at the hip! She has become best buddies with my orange tabby "Jack' as you can see. The first picture was taken the very day I brought her home....you can see it didn't take much time for her to feel at home. Jack was also a rescue........on a below zero night about a year ago. He is polydactyl (7 toes on the front) and uses his paws to pick up dry food like a monkey.very funny to watch. The second picture is them relaxing after a long day of playing, taken a few months ago. They are wonderful kids!

24726 24727

Well, everyone keep the wonderful picture coming. This is an awesome forum and I'm really glad to meet everyone!

From NE Ohio
Susie

Karen31
01-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi Susie, This really is a neat place to sit and chat with everyone-- there is so much encouragement and so many ideas. I love it. Your calico reminds me of one that I had many years ago... Her name was Baby and she definitely was a baby! Now I have my 2 poms and they are so spoiled. I guess that is what makes them so fun. They each have their own car seat in the car so they can look out the window while we are going. They love it.
Well, just wanted to say HI. I only joined here the first of the week so I'm new too. Still learning my way around everything there is too see. Have a good evening. Karen

Karen31
01-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Hello Everyone, :wave:
I got the stroller for the "girls" today Now if it ever quits snowing we will be ready to get in some serious walking outside!! :carrot: I also got the new Walk Away The Pounds DVD today so I can add those to my routine that I already have going.:running: I'm really hoping that by the time that it gets nice enough to use the stroller I won't look like a goodyear blimp pushing it!!:sumo: Ginger and Sissy aren't to sure about it yet but I think once they have been around it a bit and realize they are going somewhere when they are in it they will be excited about it. :)

Sure hope everyone is having a good evening and I was just excited about getting both the stroller and the new DVD's today!!
Will catch you all tomorrow.
Karen :wave:

grannyjc
01-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi My name is Joyce and I have three cockatiels a male named prettyboy who talks, and a male and female named prettyboy and sassy. My pair just hatched a baby on Monday, and still have 6 more eggs. I don't know if anymore are going to hatch. They are taking such good care of thier baby. It is getting so big already.

Karen31
01-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi Joyce, I used to have a cockatiel a long time ago and they are so much fun. Mine didn't do anything special but the people I got her from had her parents and they would sing and dance. They were so comical singing Yankee Doodle Dandy!! I wouldn't have any idea how many eggs would hatch, that would be interesting to find out. Have a good evening. Karen

Schatzi
01-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Such great posts since I last visited! keep the pics coming!
Karen: I didn't know they make stollers for dogs.. Are Ginger and Sassy to small to walk or they have leg problems:( :?: They are both adorable!

Karen31
01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi Schatzi, Both Ginger and Sissy do walk fine but they get tired long before I am ready to stop walking. :( I guess if I held them and finished my walk they would be about 13 extra pounds that I would be working with:) But I saw this stroller and figured that it would be so nice to have and then they could go on the walks with me when I join the "walking group" as soon as it warms up enough and gets rid of some of thissnow around here! Right now even in town there isn't any place to walk. I did find out last year that Sissy, my sable one, does have knee problems. The vet. said that they may never get bad enough to bother her but if they do it will require surgery. :cry: I'm hoping that she never has to have that and for right now she runs and plays real hard and shows no signs of having bad knees.

Have a good day and WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Karen

beachgal
02-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Wow, Karen, that's a great idea...my friend's little dog get's totally tuckered out about 2/3 of the way through her walk...and she ends up having to carry her dog...so it's strength training, too! ;)

DH fed our dog a slice of starfruit tonight. It was hilarious! She wasn't sure if she liked it...she didn't want us to take it away, but she didn't want to eat it, either. She kept baring her teeth and trying to nip at it. What a riot! (we are obviously easily amused... ;) )