General chatter - Where do you live?

View Full Version : Where do you live?

MaWhit
01-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Be as specific or general as you like. :) It'd be cool to find a neighbor on here. ;)

junebug41
01-05-2007, 04:41 PM
5 Points, Denver :wave:

707Goddess
01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Fairfield California (half way between san franciso and sacramento)

alinnell
01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Palm Desert, California

melekalikimaka
01-05-2007, 05:03 PM
The 808 State, island of O'ahu, Hawaii

boaterswife
01-05-2007, 05:07 PM
St Louis!

lizziness
01-05-2007, 05:08 PM
hippieville Eugene, OR :)

almostheaven
01-05-2007, 05:16 PM
West By God Virginia. Nobody lives out here cept'n us hicks. ;)

cbmare
01-05-2007, 05:27 PM
SF Bay Area, near San Jose.

Kim_Star060404
01-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Way out west, Texas!
Pop. 5,800
Elev. 4,400
Stuff to do here: NADA!!

AndiRae
01-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Fort Peck MT--way up in the northeast corner; may as well be Canada.

House_of_Mirth
01-05-2007, 06:00 PM
East New York (Pronounced Eest Nu Yoark by the locals), Brooklyn. NY

jules1216
01-05-2007, 06:23 PM
West By God Virginia. Nobody lives out here cept'n us hicks. ;)

Another Hick here in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia!!

guatoncita
01-05-2007, 06:31 PM
I live about ten minutes from the orlando international airport in Florida but I might be moving to New York soon.

Obsidianbbw
01-05-2007, 06:34 PM
North plainfield, NJ, just recently relocated from Queens, NY...also hang out in Philadelphia, PA

cbmare
01-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Way out west, Texas!
Pop. 5,800
Elev. 4,400
Stuff to do here: NADA!!

I guess I have to get an atlas! I didn't think Texas had elevations that high.

cbmare
01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I guess I have to get an atlas! I didn't think Texas had elevations that high.

Aha Ha! I looked it up!

Topography and Soils:

Four major physiographic subdivisions of North America are found in Texas: the Gulf Coastal Plain in the east and southeast, the North Central Plains running north to southeastward in the center of the state, the Great High Plains in the northwest, and the Trans-Pecos Mountains to the extreme west and southwest. The topography of Texas rises gradually from east to west, reaching its highest point in Guadalupe Peak (2,667 m/8,749 ft) in the Trans-Pecos.

Kim_Star060404
01-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Aha Ha! I looked it up!

Topography and Soils:

Four major physiographic subdivisions of North America are found in Texas: the Gulf Coastal Plain in the east and southeast, the North Central Plains running north to southeastward in the center of the state, the Great High Plains in the northwest, and the Trans-Pecos Mountains to the extreme west and southwest. The topography of Texas rises gradually from east to west, reaching its highest point in Guadalupe Peak (2,667 m/8,749 ft) in the Trans-Pecos.

Haha! That's great cbmare!! I live about an hour and a half south of Guadalupe Peak and I have yet to see it! My town is the third highest in Texas behind Marfa (2nd) and Fort Davis (1st).

cbmare
01-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Haha! That's great cbmare!! I live about an hour and a half south of Guadalupe Peak and I have yet to see it! My town is the third highest in Texas behind Marfa (2nd) and Fort Davis (1st).

So! Have you seen the ghost of Pecos Bill? LOL

Kim_Star060404
01-05-2007, 06:56 PM
So! Have you seen the ghost of Pecos Bill? LOL

Nope! The wandering spirits around here are rumored to be native Americans and the hippies of yore! Hahahaha!!! :rofl:

canadian mom
01-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Fort Peck MT--way up in the northeast corner; may as well be Canada.

Well I am in Canada;) . The east coast in Fredericton New Brunswick (no Canada doesn't stop at Ontario) sorry but in my experience (I lived out west,Alberta for a couple of years) anyone on the other side of Ontario thinks we are not here or basically a part of another province.:dizzy:

MaWhit
01-05-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm in a small town (pop. 4500) in south central Colorado and I love it here. :)

OnePerDecade
01-05-2007, 08:59 PM
St Paul, Minnesota - originally from Brooklyn, Noo Yawk...high school & college in Tulsa Oklahoma...can you say variation? :)

EZMONEY
01-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Oceanside, California

tweetyandme
01-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Formaly Richmond(Henrico) Virginia, Currently Camdem Whyoming Delaware, on May 19th, back to Henrico Virginia.

lizziness
01-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Canadian mom - that's okay. i work in a call center and when we tell people we're in oregon sometimes they are like - oh, wow out there huh? and seem surprised we aren't still living oregon trail days in covered wagons. Hello - I do have electricity out here. :)
Oregon is joked to be the south of the pacific northwest. In fact, right next to me is Springfield and everyone calls it Springtuckey. :)

WildWoman
01-05-2007, 09:45 PM
you think you got po-dunk in WV-I grew up in Humptulips Washington pop 216 (still to this day-someone must have moved in when I moved out-oh nevermind-my cousin had a kid)
Currently Tacoma Washington which BTW is NOT a suburb of Seattle! ( I hear my boyfriend refering to it that way-or he just tells people I live in Seattle)

mtp_and_hmp
01-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Modesto, California

Hpnotq
01-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Plano, TX

Sheila53
01-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Cool! I've never met anyone from Humptulips!

I'm originally from Seattle (West Seattle), and I always hated it when people would say they were from Seattle, and I would ask where, and they'd say something like Federal Way. That's not Seattle!

Lizziness, I live about 40 minutes from you in "Beaver Nation." :) Never heard Oregon said to be the south of the PNW--that's funny. I lived in Boise for nine years, which is no place for a PNW liberal. Was so happy to move back to what I consider home.

SwimGirl
01-05-2007, 10:16 PM
I am in Coquitlam, BC, Canada. Lots of people live here, or so the population people tell me.. I rarely see anyone, just lots of houses and cars. Very unfriendly area :(

Sheila - my brother lives in lower queen anne, well somewhere inbetween lower and upper.. in nowhere land. But nice area of town.. Seattle is slowly growing on me.

-Aimee

lilybelle
01-05-2007, 10:22 PM
I live in a small town outside of Ft. Smith , Arkansas (on the Oklahoma side). Population less than 4,000. Absolutely nothing to do here.

Lizziness, my XH worked for a computer company here and was talking to a lady from New York once. She said "I didn't think they had computers in Oklahoma". Lol, He said "yep, we even got electricity."

Kamily828
01-05-2007, 10:52 PM
East Tennessee...near Knoxville

Sassy_Chick
01-05-2007, 10:54 PM
I am originally a "Hoosier" born and raised in a tiny little town in Southeastern, Indiana, it is about an hour southeast of Indianapolis, but I moved to Cincinnati, OH (SouthWestern OH) about 10 years ago, which is only about 1 1/2 away from my hometown and that is where I live now.

Sassy_Chick
01-05-2007, 10:54 PM
East Tennessee...near Knoxville

My DH's family lives there. ;)

melekalikimaka
01-05-2007, 11:56 PM
I live in a small town outside of Ft. Smith , Arkansas (on the Oklahoma side). Population less than 4,000. Absolutely nothing to do here.

lilybelle, I was born in Little Rock, AR.... moved from Little Rock to a volcanic rock :lol: and no, we do NOT all live in little grass shacks and go around in hula skirts (sorry Gary ;) )

WildWoman
01-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Cool! I've never met anyone from Humptulips!

I'm originally from Seattle (West Seattle), and I always hated it when people would say they were from Seattle, and I would ask where, and they'd say something like Federal Way. That's not Seattle!

My daddy dun growd up thar-un his daddy too.
Actually it is cool to be able to go somewhere that has changed so little-go camp on the river, fish, horesback ride etc.
I used to tell people Humptulips was a native american word meaning "gettin friendly in the flowers" and you would NOT believe how many people believed me.

A good friend of mine lived in Alki for several years-when they sold their house I was in shock on how many times it had increased in value.

lizziness
01-06-2007, 02:19 AM
i miss washington, i used to live up in Ferndale, by Bellingham. It sure is beautiful there... and to this day Birch Bay is still my most favorite place to be. I miss it a lot.. but it's so expensive to live up there.

My daddy's from Tacoma too. :)

tiffy07
01-06-2007, 02:45 AM
Im in Green Bay, WI... or close to it.

johnsmama04
01-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Hi Ladies!

I am originally from Russellville, AR-- but moved to Hawaii almost 4 years ago.

ShirleyAnn05
01-06-2007, 05:13 AM
I was born in Siloam Springs, Arkansas (pronounced R-can-saw!). lived in a tiny town in Oklahoma (watts). Then moved to the boondocks of south central kansas where I was more or less raised all my life (it's a town near hutch, but its so small, i don't say the name. brief explanation: pop. 900...including cats, dogs, and cows. my graduating class..i was 4th in the class....there were 13 of us). Then I got smart and moved to college in glorious Top City (Topeka) Kansas. (thousands of people-talk about a culture shock!!!)
*I had to put the correct pronounciation of my birth state because so many crazy kansans cannot say it right and it bugs me something fierce.*

Robot
01-06-2007, 05:25 AM
I currently live in Greensboro, North Carolina. I was born in Brooklyn, and lived on Staten Island until I was 7.

I may move down to Florida in the next few years.

techwife
01-06-2007, 09:34 AM
I live in Northern New York. Across the river from Canada, not to be confused with Yonkers, which is Northern New York CITY. Our population here is mostly cows in the winter, mostly tourists in the summer.

PS...that's Canada across the river in the picture of me and my DH in my avatar.

EZMONEY
01-06-2007, 09:39 AM
..... and no, we do NOT all live in little grass shacks and go around in hula skirts (sorry Gary ;) )

:( :( :( :( ;) :( :( :( :(

Ruthxxx
01-06-2007, 09:50 AM
And I live across the river from techwife in a wee tourist town on the Rideau System. I'm 45 minutes from Kingston and 90 minutes from Ottawa which is where I was brought up.

FrouFrou
01-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Another born in AR (Little Rock). Spent most of my life in Southern California though and now for the last 9 years in Kansas, close to Wichita.

Shirley...I hear ya about the R-can-saw, lol! That seems to be a subject that comes up often here.

ShirleyAnn05
01-06-2007, 03:17 PM
What town are you in cristina? I'm from a town 45 min. north of Wichita.

sfj
01-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Lived in Naples, FL my entire life. Now I'm in southwest GA. Been here for 2 months.

lizziness
01-06-2007, 03:47 PM
There are bumper stickers everywhere here that say "Orygun" because people who are not from here pronounce it or-ee-gone which is just not right! It's a statewide pet peeve really.

i wonder how people in ill-i-noise feel. :)

SmartButt
01-06-2007, 04:01 PM
I can always tell people who aren't from the west coast, because instead of "or-uh-gun" they say "ore-gone".

Although when I did live on the east coast, I would giggle every time I heard the city "peabody" pronounced "pee-buh-dee" instead of "pea-bawdy".

I am in Sacramento, CA, by the way. :)

ennay
01-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Canadian mom - that's okay. i work in a call center and when we tell people we're in oregon sometimes they are like - oh, wow out there huh? and seem surprised we aren't still living oregon trail days in covered wagons. Hello - I do have electricity out here. :)
Oregon is joked to be the south of the pacific northwest. In fact, right next to me is Springfield and everyone calls it Springtuckey. :)

NO kidding, I live just west of Portland and when we were recruiting new engineers for my (former) company we had one say "ummmm Oregon? Do they have indoor plumbing there?" and another asked if there were any stores here. Seriously. Helllloooooooo its a city of almost 2 million people .

FrouFrou
01-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Shirley...we are in Andover. It might as well be Wichita as we are about 1.5 miles from the actual Wichita line, lol. Most people think it is Wichita and pretty soon it will be I think. I know where Hutch is and have been there many times. We try to go to the state fair every year, did this past year and actually enjoyed it.

Funny about the pronounciation's from all over. I just heard a lady say Ill-i-noise yesterday, lol.

Soontobe
01-06-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm in Kamloops, British Columbia. We're about 3 and half hours east of Vancouver. I grew up here and just moved back after living in Vancouver for a few years.

almostheaven
01-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Hmmm, I'm from the east, and I've always heard it pronounced OreGUN, and...Illinoy.

For the first 3 months we lived here, hubby (not from WV), called (Cabell) Cabull County, Cuh - Bell. And they literally slaughter Kanawha Co. (Kan-awe-ah or just Kan-awe). But regardless of how they pronouce things, it's more important that people know we're actually a state. Used to get calls from people trying to get directions to our office, wanting to know if we were located near Richmond. Ummm...nooooo...that's the next state over.

Russiandoll
01-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi
I live in a small town called Gosport on the South coast of Hampshire, England.

Its just across the harbour from our bigger neighbour, the Naval Base of Portsmouth.

JennyWenny
01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
There are bumper stickers everywhere here that say "Orygun" because people who are not from here pronounce it or-ee-gone which is just not right! It's a statewide pet peeve really.

i wonder how people in ill-i-noise feel. :)

The same way you guys do ;)

Wolfena
01-06-2007, 07:54 PM
hmmm - so far nobody is particularly close to me!

I am in rural central PA - not too far south of Harrisburg.

:)

canadian mom
01-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Hmmm, I'm from the east, and I've always heard it pronounced OreGUN, and...Illinoy.

For the first 3 months we lived here, hubby (not from WV), called (Cabell) Cabull County, Cuh - Bell. And they literally slaughter Kanawha Co. (Kan-awe-ah or just Kan-awe). But regardless of how they pronouce things, it's more important that people know we're actually a state. Used to get calls from people trying to get directions to our office, wanting to know if we were located near Richmond. Ummm...nooooo...that's the next state over.

I know the feeling(if you know Canada) out west think New Brunswick is a partof newfounland (which is 2 provinces away). Well sorry not everybody but most people I met would actually fight with me over where I am from. They would 'same thing'. I was in Edmonton so I said to some that it is the same as me saying to them that they r the same as Calgary or worse Saskatchewan,that got there attention.

Clydegirl
01-06-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm in Mascoutah Illinois. 30 minutes from St Louis.

Michelle
01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=SmartButt;1519383]I can always tell people who aren't from the west coast, because instead of "or-uh-gun" they say "ore-gone".QUOTE]

SO TRUE!!!

I was born in Iowa, but have lived in Oregon the past 38 years.:D

eightbitgirl
01-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm from Houston.. lived here pretty much my whole life.
no, I don't have an accent or own a horse ;)

WildWoman
01-07-2007, 12:51 AM

:)

Ok and a pet peeve (that I was never able to overcome) with this guy from LA I used to know was how he said "ARE-uh-GONE"-I was like huh WHAT?????? of course he was convinced that IIIIIII was the one that had it wrong. What do I know I live in WaRshington????

Ilene
01-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Techwife -- Where across the river do you live? I live in Cornwall, Ontario, Canada, 20 minutes from Massena NY....

I've enjoyed reading this on a Saturday night... There's nothing to do in Cornwall either :rolleyes:

lizziness
01-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Ah yes, WaRshington, where you go to the crick to warsh your clothes and ask your neighbor to borrow turlit paper. :)

EZMONEY
01-07-2007, 02:23 AM
I know what you mean about WaRshington Lizzie ~ built a house and stayed a summer in the Tri-Cities area a couple of years ago ~ those darn "down-winders"...couldn't wait to get back home here to southern california where like, you know, like the language is like really totally like right and like really really easy to like understand.

Just kidding! The folks in WaRshington were great to Angie and I! But I will say, my best friend and his family lived there and RESEMBLE your comment very much so.

EZMONEY
01-07-2007, 02:25 AM
I'm from Houston.. lived here pretty much my whole life.
no, I don't have an accent or own a horse ;)

BUT 8BITGIRL ~ WOULD FOLKS HERE IN CALIFORNIA "THINK" YOU HAD AN ACCENT?;)

eightbitgirl
01-07-2007, 02:31 AM
BUT 8BITGIRL ~ WOULD FOLKS HERE IN CALIFORNIA "THINK" YOU HAD AN ACCENT?;)

lol, not a Texas one, anyway!
I lived in Orange County for a year and nobody could guess where I was from :D

Disneywed
01-07-2007, 03:16 AM
Long Island, NY here!!! (suffolk county):wave:

stacynak
01-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Palmer, Alaska (40 miles north of Anchorage)

canadian mom
01-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Techwife -- Where across the river do you live? I live in Cornwall, Ontario, Canada, 20 minutes from Massena NY....

I've enjoyed reading this on a Saturday night... There's nothing to do in Cornwall either :rolleyes:

I have a friend who lives in Cornwall

SaskNewfie
01-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Well I am in Canada;) . The east coast in Fredericton New Brunswick

I lived in Fredericton/Oromocto area for 6 years when I was in the infantry (2RCR). I miss Fredericton and the east coast!!

I was born and raised in Newfoundland but got posted to Dundurn, SK (30km south of Saskatoon) 4 years ago.

Mels4Beanz
01-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I am new to the forum..I live in West Michigan near Holland.

almostheaven
01-07-2007, 03:51 PM
I dunno about WarshINGTON, but hubby tried to break me from saying "warsh" when we first got together. Now I'm back on my home turf, where mom, and grandma, and everyone says warsh. He's fighting a losing battle. ;)

sz2atheart
01-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Maryland, where we all speak Baltimorese, Hon!

Spideranne
01-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Born in Milwaukee, WI
Kansas City, KS and Mesa, AZ for the elementary, middle school years.
Westerville, OH (near Columbus) for the high school years.
West Lafayette, IN for college,
Dallas/Fort Worth area, TX since then. Lewisville at the moment.

:D I grew up learning quickly whether to say soda, pop, or coke so I would fit in.:D

ShirleyAnn05
01-08-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm reading this going hey wow, i can talk right! so proud! :D
Cristina-I'm from Burrton, about 15 minutes east of hutch on hwy 50. if you ever see the concrete booth at the fair, thats us! i know exactly where andover is, and yeah it'll probably be part of wichita soon. my cousin is a real estate agent and saw the plans for the area for the next like 20-30 years, wichita is coming north, mac is coming south, newton west and hutch east. my town is going to be engulfed-but then there will be something to do when i visit my parents! how long have you lived there? my best friend's mom probably knows you. (she's a mail person, and they used to live down there till they moved to burrton.)

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-08-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm in San Antonio. I could probably write a book about the misconceptions of this city. (I still remember the amazement of the lady in the furniture store in Honolulu, when I told her about the river. Wha, we don't have water in Texas?) But my favorite remains the persistent tourist belief that the Alamo is out in the countryside somewhere.

I'll explain this just once for y'all, so pay close attention. The Alamo is the remains (very little still stands) of a presidio, or in other words a fort. It was not a mission, even though a lot of people think that. It was a fort built to protect the other missions. Its name was San Antonio de Bexar. And, just like any other fort, the city grew up around it, and took its name from the fort (and the county did as well; we are the seat of Bexar county). This means that the remains of this fort--the chapel and what if memory serves was part of the barracks--are what you know as the Alamo, and they are smack in the middle of downtown. I cannot count the number of times as a teenager I stood within a block of it and argued with tourists over where it was, because they had apparently watched one John Wayne movie too many.

I have also lived as a child in West Virginia and as a Navy wife in Groton, Connecticut (of which was often said "There's so much to do there! You can go to New York, and Providence, and Boston!"), Norfolk, Virginia, and Honolulu, Hawaii. And from my all-to-brief time in that last I will share a small bit of information for any would-be tourists: You can't "go to" Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor isn't a city. It's a Navy base. It's not open since 9/11 (I got the impression it had been once), and even if it was there's frankly nothing to see there unless your tastes run to overhead steam pipes and ordnance used as lawn ornaments. ;)

SheisLegend
01-15-2007, 10:30 PM
North Carolina (:

Losingme
01-15-2007, 11:25 PM
I live just outside the town limits of Funkstown, Maryland. And yes, on Saturday mornings in the summer, if you go outside you can hear the American Legion baseball team blaring "Funkytown" over the PA system. :D

lizzie060955
01-15-2007, 11:58 PM
:dizzy: I have been reading this site, wow so much.
i am LIZ and i live in Rome, PA which in the northeastern part, very close to NY state. origionally from NJ. hugs to all, :hug:

Dragonfly7
01-16-2007, 01:40 AM
St. Louis Missouri! (Best baseball town! ;) lol)

finn
01-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Dublin, Ireland for me :-)

srmb60
01-16-2007, 06:49 AM
I live in a wee town in southern Ontario. Yup, that's Canada and no I don't have sled dogs.;) In fact we live so southish that the northest part of California is only a few latitude points further south ... really. Right Ilene?