Weight Loss Support - I am a bit afraid!

View Full Version : I am a bit afraid!

AmnesiaA
01-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Let me give you my story. I am a 20 year old male who has been struggling with my weight since I was about 16; I was obese well before that. I was raised in a family that ate a lot, and most in my family are over 240 pounds, so for years I felt fine about my weight. When I was 16 I started to realize that a lot of people in my family had various obesity related health problems, and I already had high blood pressure, so I started to work at losing my weight. Yeah, it's a strange thing... I've never wanted to lose weight because of my look. I am -fine- with how I look, and have never had any trouble from others because of it. I just wanted to lose weight because I wanted to get to a healthy base and prevent myself from getting diabetes and heart disease. My Dad already has serious diabetic complications.

I started dieting, but with my family always eating so heavily, and the fact that I knew nothing about dieting, I jumped between 230 and 260 for the next few years. Every diet seemed to fail me. Also due to bad genetics I have a terrible metabolism. My temperature is often around 35.8 C, which is more than a degree below the healthy rate; this suggests I have a poor metabolism, and my Doctor has confirmed it.

Also dieting was making my physically ill. I would feel fatigued, sick, and gross, and have food withdrawals. I even tried fasting but I couldn't last two days. It screwed me up too damn much. I tried low carb, atkins, even the subway diet, but only with minimal success. I'd lose 30 pounds at the most and then it would slowly crawl back.

Anyways to what I am scared of. I did a whole bunch of research into what your body needs, supplements, etc, last summer, and I just went ahead and made a diet from it. I started it in November with freakishly impressive results.

It worked so well I thought someone was slipping me drugs or something.

I am taking 2 one a day multi-vitamins; 3000mg primrose oil; 1000mg l-carnitine; 200mg coenzyme q10; 900mg alpha lipioc acid; 1000mg vitamin c; 2000mg MSM; 30mg biosil; 3 powdered egg protein drinks mixed with water (skim milk would probably work, but I am lactose intolerant); 1 slice of whole grain bread; 12 cups of water; and 6 cups of white tea. It equals up to a mere 500 to 600 calories a day. I also have a specific schedule for my intake, but I don't want to post that big thing here. I would follow this diet from Monday to Saturday, and on Sunday I went off of it--except for the supplements--and I allowed myself to eat and drink whatever I wanted, except for food and drinks high in sugar content. All in all it equals up to about 100 grams of protein, 75 gram of carbs, and 4 grams of fat (not including the fatty acid supplements I take) per day when I dieted. I picked this combination because from what I read it showed promise, but I never read about something like this ever being done before.

The first two days I had light sugar withdrawals, but from then on it was smooth sailing. I was stupidly energetic, my mind was clear, I felt great! I was also exercising daily, and I actually GAINED muscle mass instead of losing it. And my fat was melting away at a rate of 5 to 9 pounds a week.

I went from 255 to 197 in 2 months, I have firmer muscles, and I seriously am not considering going off of this diet until I reach 170 or 165. (I am 6'2) I am stronger, lighter, and I just feel good. This diet I pulled out of my fat... my fat rolls shouldn't have worked this well, I thought originally. I am having -none- of the usual symptoms that anorexia gives you, since 500 to 600 calories does look like an eating disorder. Even my face is brighter.

And what confused me the most is my core body temperature, since I measure it every 2 days, went up from 35.5 to 36.7, suggesting that despite living off of almost no real food a day, my metabolism has gotten -better-!

And another thing... I can live off of only 6 hours of sleep a day now, or less. I almost never get fatigued anymore, except after I workout. I sleep very soundly, I am going for walks, and enjoying things I couldn't before.

I also have only 1 -tiny- bowel movement a day, and I urinate regularly, but not constantly. The only thing different are my bowel movement. It's like my body is absorbing every single thing I put into myself now.

My family is fine with this, so I haven't had to hide it from them. They are fine with my not eating anything since I haven't shown any negative symptoms, but once a week I PIG out with them, haha.

Anyways now that you know all of that, I need an opinion. Is this a crash diet? I feel great, my metabolism is better, I am rapidly losing weight, and despite me pigging out once a week I seem to be doing fine... Will I suddenly break? Will my good feelings die away all at once? I am going to continue this strange and effective diet, but I have a tinge of worry that I might be causing damage somewhere and not be knowing it. I am monitoring my health, and even checking my blood sugar once every three days, and so far everything has been perfect for a healthy body at my age.

Could I be on to some really awesome diet, or is this just going to screw me up?

Or is this diet maybe hiding somewhere and I just missed it and ended up accidentally repeating it in my own form? heh:?:

*edit* Oh yeah and when I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted, I never binged. It wasn't that hard to do considering I felt so energetic and my appetite wasn't intense.

Lose25
01-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey And Welcome! I think you and i can be great weight loss buddies. Iam close to your age and i was wondering if you wanted to be my weightloss buddy? I dont think i have met anyone who is that young.

Beyonca

sotypical
01-03-2007, 11:20 PM
I am very happy that you found something that works for you - but I do have a HUGE concern. 5-9 pounds a week IS NOT healthy - it is not healthy to lose anymore then 2 pounds a week. It is also not healthy to eat less then 1200 cals a day - you body NEEDS 1200 cals a day to function. Eating less then that and you body starts to shut down.

I was actually just watching a show (this wouldnt really apply to you cuz you male but I want to used it as an example) - there was a girl who ate so little for so long her ovaries COMPLETELY shut down! I am not saying that is going to happen to you, but I KNOW what you doing is hurting your body.

I am sure you feel better, I know I feel amazing after having lost 50 pounds - but at the same time it took me 10 months to lose that.

I dunno how much you are eating on your free day, but I am sure it is not enough to make your daily average at least 1200 - when I figure my calories, I add up the whole week and average it out - I don't always look at each day.

If I were you, I would be more worried about kidding yourself then gaining the weight back in the end.

Anyway, if you were someone close to me, I would be kicking you and beating you with a stick to get you to eat more - I don't know you, I can't force you to do anything, but I really hope you do some more reasearch and realize you are hurting yourself.

Good luck.

sotypical
01-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Beyonca - I am 21 and have about the same weight to lose - I would love to be your buddy and help you to lose weight SAFELY please PM me.

Lose25
01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
HEy Me Again Sorry i didnt read all of your forum and now i did. Well Honestly it doesnt sound like a good diet to me. I mean how could you have energy after living off 600 calories a day for so long? i Mean i cant say anything because i dont know much about half the pills or what ever it is your taking but anyone who looks at it can see that this great feeling you have wont last for a very long time. I think the best thing you can do is consult with a dietian or your doctor.

Best of wishes

AmnesiaA
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
I am not that sure if I am hurting myself though. I know how it feels when you do hurt yourself. I tried fasting, or better worded, going outright into anorexia for a while, and lost over 30 pounds doing this. I felt horrible the entire time. Sick, tired, and crazy. I so hated the feeling that I gave it up. Also my metabolism managed to get even worse... I was cold all the time, and when I started eating again I gained weight so fast I got stretch marks.

But with this diet, even though I am eating only a bit more than I ate when I starved myself, has none of those symptoms. This is why I am confused. I also didn't expect to lose weight this rapidly since I had a slow metabolism in the first place. But something in my list up there made my metabolism rise. I was expecting, at most, 3 pounds a week originally. Can you truly say that I am hurting myself if I don't feel it at all and according to my tests and even doctor's appointments I am nice and healthy? I'm just so lost with this. I am hesitant to stop it until I get to my goal weight, but I am also hesitant to go on in case I get surprised in a bad way. If I keep losing weight at this rate I will be at my goal weight by March. That's 22 or so pounds a month lost.

Oh and on my free day I am probably getting about 2500 to 3000 calories.

And what is a weight loss buddy?

Glory87
01-03-2007, 11:53 PM
600 calories seems dangerously low without a doctor's supervision (heck to me, it seems dangerously low even WITH a doctor's supervision). I lost weight by severely restricting calories several times in my life and I never felt bad either - at first.

Are you thinking long term? It's great you are losing weight now, but what is your plan to keep the weight off?

What is your plan when you reach your goal weight? What healthy habits for long term maintenance are you teaching yourself? Looking for healthy recipes, shopping, cooking, planning meals, packing lunches, dealing with temptations at work, with friends, making healthy choices at restaurants...you know LIVING at your goal weight eating a healthy number of calories for the rest of your life. For 20 years, I never understood this. I thought I could "diet" and then go back to "normal."

I could always lose weight no problem, I could NEVER keep the weight off. I always gained it back and MORE weight. I started at age 15 when I weighed 140 lbs and ended up over 200 lbs at age 35. I never ever had a plan for my long term health or keeping the weight off, I just wanted to lose weight this second, no matter how or the effect on my body.

I spent 20 years losing weight by restricting calories. I was only successful long term when I gave myself permission to eat. I lost 70+ lbs eating around 1400-1600 calories of whole foods every day. I have maintained that weight loss for 2 years. I changed how I eat forever, there is no diet to start or stop, this is just how I eat. This is normal.

I definitely think you should eat more healthy fats - nuts/nut butters, salmon, olive oil, avocado. 4 grams per day is exceedingly low. My goal is 20-25% of my daily calorie intake should come from healthy fats.

Good luck to you.

Lose25
01-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Oh weight loss buddy is a friend who helps you alone the way. :)

CLCSC145
01-04-2007, 12:00 AM
A few things I would think about...

* Sustainability. What are you going to do once you get to your goal weight?

* Your organs. Your body was not designed to live off of only what you are giving it now. There are nutrients that come from REAL, nutritious food that your organs need to function properly. This includes your brain!!

* You're not a lab rat, but you're treating yourself like one. The effects of what you're doing may not be showing up at your doctor's visits now, but if you continue to "eat" like this, what about a year from now? 10 years from now?

* Euphoria shouldn't be mistaken for good health. Just because you feel great now, doesn't mean what you are doing is good for you in the long run!

*What does your doctor say?

I don't mean to beat up on you, but I get worried when I see people taking drastic measures to correct their weight problem.

AmnesiaA
01-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Well the doctor says he wants me to eat more, obviously. But he barely has any idea of some of the stuff I am taking. He didn't even know what White Tea was--it's the most powerful antioxidant tea out there, so powerful that 1 cup equals 3 cups of green tea in cleansing strength. So since I am not getting good advice and being convinced that what I am doing is wrong, and the fact that I am actually GETTING all the nutrients I need from my pills, even the more obscure ones, and I am also getting 6 grams of fat since some are coming from the supplements, and all the fat from my supplements are healthy fats... I feel that I can continue.

And I know I am treating myself like a lab rat. I am just now trying to figure out what increased my metabolism so it is normal even when I am supposedly starving. And this feeling isn't really euphoria. Euphoria is much more intense. This is just a general all over healthy and feeling good feeling.

Oh yeah and I do have a plan when I finish this diet. I am going to slowly, over a 3 month period, work myself up from 500 calories a day to 2000, and then retain a healthy and nearly vegetarian diet. I may be treating myself like a lab rat, but I did plan this all out. It was originally a 8 month plan to lose weight, but due to my eccentric success it is now shorter.

My main question is that I wouldn't mind hearing advice from someone who knows all about everything I am taking for my diet. If someone like that can come along and give me some new advice at why that supplement combination would be bad for me eventually, I would greatly appreciate it. I am actually starting to think that calories really don't matter if you want to be healthy, unless you give yourself too much. What matters is what your body needs, and you can get all you need with minimal calories. I guess I am being a real crazy lab rat!

And a weight loss buddy would be kinda interesting! So far I have been doing everything by myself, heh

sotypical
01-04-2007, 12:54 AM
You can think what you want.

But 6 grams of fat a day? Your slowly killing yourself.

CLCSC145
01-04-2007, 01:00 AM
It sounds like what you're looking for is validation that what you're doing is healthy, but I really don't think you'll find that here... Good luck.

sotypical
01-04-2007, 01:03 AM
It sounds like what you're looking for is validation that what you're doing is healthy, but I really don't think you'll find that here... Good luck.

agreed.

lilybelle
01-04-2007, 01:04 AM
I don't think anyone on here will give you medical advice on the supplements you are taking. That is your doctors place.

IMHO, by the time you reach goal and start to increase your calories, your metabolism will be worse than ever and the lbs. will reappear. For a person to lose weight and maintain it, they have to eat and exercise the same for both situations.

sotypical
01-04-2007, 01:08 AM
here is some reading

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1459.html

Glory87
01-04-2007, 01:16 AM
He didn't even know what White Tea was--it's the most powerful antioxidant tea out there, so powerful that 1 cup equals 3 cups of green tea in cleansing strength.

And what about the other powerful benefits found in foods you AREN'T eating? Blueberries, broccoli, oranges, pomegranates, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, walnuts, salmon, oats, etc etc. I do agree that tea is GREAT but I feel it's very important for me to eat a wide range of healthy foods every day to get the greatest benefits possible.

My main question is that I wouldn't mind hearing advice from someone who knows all about everything I am taking for my diet. If someone like that can come along and give me some new advice at why that supplement combination would be bad for me eventually, I would greatly appreciate it. I am actually starting to think that calories really don't matter if you want to be healthy, unless you give yourself too much. What matters is what your body needs, and you can get all you need with minimal calories. I guess I am being a real crazy lab rat!

Not to disparage the fine posters at 3 Fat Chicks, most of whom are very knowledgeable and informed about diet, nutrition and fitness, but do you really think you're going to find an expert in your personal supplement regime? A registered dietician (not your family doctor) would probably a good option.

About the minimal calories - uh...yeah. Food is fuel, calories aren't make-believe numbers that only exist to look pretty on paper, they represent energy, energy needed to live to rebuild tissues to power your brain, your heart. I mean, can a car exist on minimal GAS?

Also agreed.

Look, I hate to sound all "oh, I've been there" but I really have been there. When things were "working" for me, I didn't want to hear a discouraging word, it was WORKING FOR ME. This time I would lose weight! What did that other person know??

It took me 20 years to figure it out and I did similar things to this along the way - good luck to you, ultimately, it's a very personal journey.

rockinrobin
01-04-2007, 01:35 AM
You've mentioned a couple of times that you could not fast. Well, that's no surprise. Your body needs energy (calories) to function. And although you're not fasting, you are on a very low calorie diet and eventually, sooner rather then later most likely, it is going to catch up with you. You are trading one set of problems, your obesity, for another, your lack of calories and it sounds to me, though I am certainly no expert, not even close that you might be dealing with anorexia. I think not only should you be seeking the advice of a competent medical doctor, but I think you would also benefit from seeking some sort of psychological help as well. You are a young man with your whole life ahead of you. You can not continue on in this manner. You deserve to live the best life that you possibly can. And I'm afraid this is not going lead to you to your best future. You have grown up in a very food oriented environment, and not the right one at that. I really urge you to seek out some help.

Sunnigummi
01-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Sorry but when I read your first post, I thought it was an ad for some new fad diet. I agree with everything everyone has said on here.

I'm not sure I believe you when you say you did a lot of research on dieting. If you did, you should have come across at least one book discussing the healthy eating and exercise approach, which is what 99% of us on this site are doing. That's why you're getting a warning attitude versus a thumbs-up, you-go-boy attitude. We've all learned from our mistakes with dieting and starving yourself (which, admit it, is what you're doing) does not work forever.

Good luck!

JayEll
01-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Hey. I know you're happy with that weight loss and the new-found energy. Probably your supplements are giving you the energy, but you might want to make sure you're not overdoing some of them. Even "natural" supplements can be overused.

Think of it this way: You could eat more and lose 2 pounds a week, and it would do less possible damage than eating so little and losing so much. Around 1200 calories is a good goal--just about everthing I've read says not to go lower than that for an extended period. Make sure you get enough protein, and don't overdo the fats and carbohydrates. Vegetables and fruits are really great also--a natural source of vitamins and minerals, and not that many calories.

And, you do have to think about how you'll eat after you've lost the weight. Many of us here have found that weight comes back unless eating habits change permanently, so you have to have a plan for maintenance. Most of the well-known weight loss plans include that--and it's not that different from the weight loss part, just more calories.

Did you mention exercise? That's a good way to raise metabolism. Not eating enough and not exercising isn't good for that--it can make metabolism slow down more to try to conserve.

So, hey, let up a little and add exercise!

Jay

boaterswife
01-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Hmmmm, I have a real problem with the amount you are eating. Different organs in your body NEED certain things to perform correctly. Even your brain needs a minimum amount of fat grams to work properly, and not getting them sets you up for future trouble.

I haven't read anything in your posts about exercise. Yes you have more energy, but how are you using it? Is it natural energy from treating your body right, or is it from small amounts of stimulants found in the supplements you're taking? Don't get me wrong, vitamins are an essential part of life, but supplements cannot replace all the good stuff your body derives from the right foods.

OK, off my soapbox. My recommendation to you is to seek a registered dietician or another doctor who specializes in weight loss/healthy eating. Get their advice and opinions before you do permanent irreversible damage to your body!

Heather
01-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I'd just like to echo the call to see a dietician. Your doctor probably isn't trained in nutrition -- he or she has spent a career learning other important stuff.

I don't have time to hunt down any links now, but I keep hearing that when we try to get our nutrients from too many supplements that much of the nutrients do not get absorbed into the body. Just because you put the nutrients in doesn't mean you get them. Nutrients from food are more likely to be absorbed. I do know that these issues are real concerns for people who have had weight loss surgery. They need to take supplements because they can't absorb as many nutrients and they are under doctor's care.

Again, though, I haven't researched this topic well and am not an expert.

You're going to do whatever you want to do. You're young and have found something that seems to work for you.

For me, the only way to judge the success of any weight loss program is not in how much weight people LOSE, but how likely they are to keep it off. Many people say that LOSING the weight is the easy part. Keeping it off is the real trick. I'm wondering what will happen to you in the next couple of years. Many of us who have tried extreme approaches to weight loss have exactly your reaction -- great losses and euphoria. But later down the road they gain it all back and then some. So, I would just caution you to think about that. It's easy to say you have a plan to reintroduce food, but I find the hardest part about my new lifestyle (both eating AND exercise) is the day in day out nature of it. Every day.

Suzanne 3FC
01-04-2007, 09:32 AM
And my fat was melting away at a rate of 5 to 9 pounds a week.

Could I be on to some really awesome diet, or is this just going to screw me up?

To lose one pound of fat, you have to burn 3500 calories more than you consume. To lose 9 pounds of fat, you have to burn 31,500 calories. Consider this - A 200 pound man would have to run at the very fast rate of 9 miles per hour for 23 hours to burn off 9 pounds of fat. You've mentioned doing a lot of extreme things, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.

When you lose weight, you usually lose more than fat. The percentage of the "other things" lost varies, but you will lose water, muscle mass, bone mass, and more. The goal should be to lose fat only, which means eating a more realistic diet and including a reasonable amount of exercise. You should never be in a hurry to lose weight, because you'll lose more than fat.

You mention taking a lot of supplements, but you don't mention why you are taking them. Most of them have never been shown to do anything for weight loss. Please keep in mind that supplements are not regulated by the FDA and the manufacturers can make any claim they want without having to prove it.

How much tea are you drinking? That could be contributing to your increased energy level, though it has been proven to have minimal effect on weight. Your weight loss may also be contributing, but the energy will taper off because you aren't feeding your body what it needs to support it.

Your comment about your body temperature as determining that you have a slow metabolism concerns me. Everyone's "normal" temperature is different. My normal is a full degree below the common normal and has been my entire life, even as a skinnny and very active child. The only way to determine if you have a slow metabolism is to be properly tested.

You may have a slower metabolism now, however, because you are training your body to live off of nothing. What's going to happen when you reach your goal weight? Is this how you plan to live for the rest of your life? You may not have a very long life because you are doing damage to your health. You asked if you are screwing yourself up, and I'd have to say yes.

My biggest concern is that you are developing an eating disorder and may not recognize it :(

Right now, you are consuming the amount of calories required by a dachshund. Yet you are a 20 year old man.

My best suggestion for you would be to gradually increase your calories by adding in healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables, more whole grains, and real protein foods, not instant. You probably don't want to increase it a lot at once, it should be gradual.

Have you considered a diet plan such as Body for Life? The meals are balanced and appeal to a lot of men. It isn't low carb, which is something you mentioned having a problem sticking to (which is pretty common). Maybe a different approach will help :)

KnitALisa
01-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Your comment about your body temperature as determining that you have a slow metabolism concerns me. Everyone's "normal" temperature is different.

Just wanted to chime in on this one. My mother and I always register as 97.6- 97.2 F. She is naturally slim, and I... am not. :) So I don't know if this has anything to do with your metabolism.

Everyone has given you some great advice, and I just want to echo all of it.

carolr3639
01-04-2007, 10:43 AM
No words of advice but I would be interested what happens in a few months.

Mami
01-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Where are you luv? We have not heard back from you and we are all obviously very concerned about you. Tell us what you think, even if you disagree with us.

We want you to succeed FOREVER, not lose a huge amount of weight only to put it ALL on, PLUS more!

Muscles burn calories. Do you know you are canabolizing your muscles right now? Your body needs fuel and it WILL use your muscles as FOOD!

Here's a quick story of something that happened to me recently:

1. I'd been steadily losing slowly about 1 pound per week.
2. I got sick with bad food poisening.
3. I threw up for one day and ate nothing for 2 days total.
4. By morning of day 3 I had lost 4 pounds. Yeah!
5. Day 3 I ate about 600 calories (mind you I was recovering and couldn't eat more).
6. Day 4 I had gained 1 pound (after only reintroducing 600 calories the prior day).
7. Day 4 I ate about 1000 calories.
8. Day 5, I gained another TWO pounds, though I ONLY ate 1000 calories the day before.
9. Day 5 I ate about 1300 calories, and the next day gained another pound.
10. Net weightloss after all this?? A GAIN OF 1 NET POUND. A WASTED WEEK! Rather than losing my usual pound, I actually gained a pound.

My theory is that my metabolism had slowed so quickly, and obviously most of what I lost was water (though I did LOOK slimmer for those few wonderful days that I had lost 4 pounds). Even though I easily cut more than the 3500 calories which is needed to lose a pound of fat, I did NOT lose ANY FAT because my body immediately went into starvation mode.

AS I BEGAN EATING NORMALLY AGAIN (about 1700 to 1900 calories per day), I STARTED LOSING MY ONE POUND PER WEEK AGAIN!

Why starve when you will lose tons of weight (THIS IS A GUARANTEE) on probably more than 1700 calories per day (given your height)?

The problem with your "diet" is that it is just that, a temporary fix and not a new lifestyle of eating healthy food, with some junk thrown in once in a while for fun (not a binge, but a treat sometimes when you want one). At your height, once you get the weight off HEALTHILY and SLOWLY, IF you are exercising regularly, you will be able to eat probably more than 2200-2400 calories a day and still maintain a nice healthy attractive weight.

I know we are not saying what you want to hear, but too many people on this wonderful site have told stories of having lost tons of weight only to put it right back on when they went off their diet. And no way in **** you can live forever on 600 calories per day.

Let us know your thoughts.

MariaOfColumbia
01-04-2007, 11:57 AM
You can't be getting enough electrolytes with the supplements you are taking, ie: calcium, magnesium, potassium and *maybe* sodium. Especially potassium. You need 3500 mg per day of potassium and you just can't be getting that with what you listed.

Your body may be robbing your bones for some of the other electrolytes- which could work short term but might trigger early osteoporosis- but potassium isn't stored that way and is highly water soluble. You need these ingredients for proper cellular function and in the proper amounts. You should use a computer program to analyse what nutrients you are getting from food and supplements so you figure out what you are deficient in. You don't want the muscles in your heart to fail because you don't have enough electrolytes for them to keep working!

You are dabbling in complicated systems without full knowledge of what you are doing. All warnings of bodily distress can be masked with enough will power- but you could just kill yourself in the process.

You should be afraid, like the title of this thread says. Listen to your instincts. Your body cannot live well on what you are giving it. Don't rationalize away the fears you have. Bodily health is a complicated, interconnected system. Stressing one aspect stresses other connected functions and so on down the line.

AmnesiaA
01-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Thank you for all of your support, but I apologize. I am going to continue this until I hit my goal weight. I will report back after a few months.

I will have to learn on my own if this turns into a disaster.

Jasmine31
01-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Well unfortunately "later on" you could of already done some serious damage to your body! Stop now before it is too late!

Cubb
01-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Thank you for all of your support, but I apologize. I am going to continue this until I hit my goal weight. I will report back after a few months.

I will have to learn on my own if this turns into a disaster.

AmnesiaA,

Judging by your post, I assumed that you were a little concerned that perhaps what you are doing is not healthy. Please forgive the tough love but you asked for advice so here it comes:

I think you are being very foolish to brush off some of the excellent information that has been posted here, simply because it was not what you wanted to hear. When you say you will have to learn on your own if this turns into a "disaster" what exactly are you willing to risk? In your original post you declared that your primary motivation was your health not your looks so I'm confused.

If there was such an easy way out of fatdome then we wouldn't need support groups. Please, listen to your doctor, he/she has a PhD.

PS. Were you aware that supplements only work if you are already getting a certain amount of the nutrient in your system through diet?

Luminous
01-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I think Suzanne hit the nail on the head. 6 cups of tea on 600 calories a day is going to keep you wired!

AmnesiaA, do please keep in touch here regularly. Not gonna add anything more, as it seems pretty well covered. Sigh, I'm sad. You're not even done growing. Your body wants to lay down more bone mass, more muscle mass. Please keep in close touch with your doctor and a dietician. What you are doing feels good, but the longer it goes on, the more dangerous it becomes. Hmm, I said I wasn't going to add anything. Oh well. :p

At least on your supplements you won't get scurvy. Just watch out for beriberi and rickets.

Mami
01-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Perhaps this is blunt and rude but in my view you will be a flabby mess before long because all of your muscle (and plenty of bone) is being used to feed your body. YOU ARE CANABOLIZING (i.e. eating) YOURSELF so that you're body can keep going.

What's even more ridiculous is that you believe you will somehow be able to keep the weight off after slowing down your metabolism to this extent and never learning the proper amount and foods to eat to stay a healthy weight.

We are relying on personal actual anecdotes AND scientific evidence to prove our points..what are you basing your theories on?

Scaramouche7
01-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Sorry to say, but that's the exact same amount of calories (maybe a tiny more) that I ate for years when I had full blown anorexia. I almost didn't live. My digestion and liver were almost completely shut down, my thyroid burnt out, and I stopped getting my period. After awhile, my hair started falling out. The bottom line is that you can fool yourself, but you can't fool your body . . .it's smart. Our bodies our are still back in B.C. times. Like others said, your body needs at least 1200 to just survive. Even infants need that much. Good luck!

Mami
01-06-2007, 10:44 PM
That sounds awful scaramouche, I hope you're feeling better these days. Can't figure out if the original poster is anorexic (sure hope not!) or he's just impatient. I mean, he can't wait just a few months longer to reach his goal? I just don't get why some people think they must starve to lose weight. You can still eat plenty AND get the weight off relatively quickly. And hey, if you were overweight for a long period, what's a few extra months to be healthy?

Scaramouche7
01-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks so much Mami, i'm much better! It's something i've dealt with since i was about 12 (now i'm 18). But i agree, a few extra pounds is nothing compared to your life itself . . . something I've had to come to realize. The only way to keep it off is healthy moderation, really.

Mami
01-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm so glad you're better Scaramouche. Gosh, you were so young with this issue. That is just frightening! If you don't mind sharing, I was wondering how you got yourself better.

Scaramouche7
01-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Mami- you're so sweet! I don't mind sharing at all. I was down to 89 pounds a few different times throughout those years and i knew that if i didn't do something, i wouldn't make it. They were going to send me away for treatment, but i cooperated very well and was treated as an outpatient. I went to a ton of doctors....hemotologist (blood levels were almost nonexistent, and had sclerosis of my liver from tissue damage), endocrynologist (for thyroid and loss of my period), nutritionist, eating disorder specialist, and counselor. It was the hardest thing to go through because in the re-feeding process you're body just tells you to binge and then i gained over 50 pounds and freaked out. So now i've lost it the healthy way (which has been hard since it seems like it's taking so much longer than what i'm use to). I get bloodwork done every few months and see my nutritionist every few weeks. Unfortunately, insurance companies refuse to pay for eating disorder rehabilitatioin because they say that it's "your fault", and not a major problem. It's something that breaks my heart because some people don't live becasue they can't afford treatment. I really want to write to the government health department and maybe get a petition started this summer when i've got the time. This is such an epidemic now. Over half the people i've met have disordered eating/body issues of some sort. But i'm as healthy and happy as ever...just glad to be alive, really. I wonder alot why it had to happen to me, but i think God's trying to use my as an instrument to help other people and get it noticed. Thanks again, you have no clue how much I appreciate your concern!

MissMichellelynn
01-07-2007, 01:14 PM
You might want to look into the Shangri La Diet. Your plan sounds a bit like that one. The main thing I got out of the show that I saw on that diet is that you really eat little "real" food (I couldn't do it for a day, not that I tried!). The man that came up with the plan isn't a doctor, so take it for what it is. I didn't see anything on the show about what to do after you got to goal.

I do want to add, I am much like the person who posted above..I started dieting at age 19 at 150 lbs (I was thin!! What was I thinking?!?) I lost 20 and gained back 40. I continued that cycle, off and on for 20 years. I now weigh 230 lbs at age 39. I believe dieting has truly messed my metabolism up. So BE CAREFUL!

KnitALisa
01-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately, insurance companies refuse to pay for eating disorder rehabilitatioin because they say that it's "your fault", and not a major problem. It's something that breaks my heart because some people don't live becasue they can't afford treatment. I really want to write to the government health department and maybe get a petition

I just can't believe insurance companies these days. We're talking about an honest-to-God disease that kills people! Grrr! Evil, evil HMOs!! Let me know if you get that petition going; I'll sign! Congrats on your recovery, btw!

Mami: I think a combination. I'm his age, and sometimes I get so impatient with my weight loss that I could scream. I just have to keep repeating to myself, "Didn't come on in a day, ain't gonna come off in one either," "You're worth the time, you're worth the time," over and over and over again. ;)

Scaramouche7
01-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks so much! Will do.

Mami
01-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks scaramouche. That is really harrowing. Luckily you somehow changed your mindset and that was the key to your recovery. That really is quite outrageous that this is not covered..we should all email our congressional representatives!