100 lb. Club - Relatives: O my you have gained some weight

SkinnyScorp29
01-02-2007, 09:00 PM
:nono:Okay..who else has these type of relatives...I have a favorite aunt..but she kills me with her remarks about my weight!!!! It's the first question that comes out of her mouth "did you lose weight"..she is always asking me what size I wear and blah blah blah....my other relatives came for a visit this past year and my uncle actually told them to quit bugging me :)...well a couple of weeks ago my aunt was going on and on about weight this weight that..and she asked me again "have you lost weight"..so i just got fed up and said HAVE YOU??????????? LMAO ahhh the silence was magic:devil:

purplepansy912
01-02-2007, 09:33 PM
LOL yes we all have that "fave aunt". I just think some people have no lives and concentrate on other people.. I have an aunt ( not a fave) that gives me the once over, the up and down type of look.. Some times I want to twirl around and bend over LOL.. I just ignore it!

melsfolly
01-02-2007, 09:40 PM
You handled it so much better than I would have! Even though she probably meant it as a compliment, I would have still taken it as a sarcastic insult and then I would have spent the rest of the day sulking. :D

Now, in my family I do have the favorite aunt or grandmother that always wants to know if I've lost or if I'm planning on losing, what size I am, etc. But with a twist - while they're asking if I'm going to lose weight they're cutting me a BIG piece of cake that I just have to eat because she made it especially for me!!

Mrs Quadcrew
01-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Hey - I have one that asks me "have you GAINED more weight?" - wanna trade??:D

108tolose
01-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh yes, I have the relative that says, "you have such a pretty face. You looked so good when you were thinner." Then she tells me that though she's 40 years older than me, her boobs are probably perkier :) (She's right I'm sure - I'm a recently-nursed-2-children-DD and she's an A!)

KnitALisa
01-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Ugh, I HATE when people ask what size I am!! It's like they're craving validation that they are in fact much smaller than me. Haaaaaaattttee.

I have to say, I'm really hoping that once I lose it that everyone will rave for a few weeks then SHUT UP about it! After a while, it just gets so exhausting!

Goddess Jessica
01-03-2007, 02:58 AM
"Why thank you, it's all the sex with strangers I've been having."
"No, the world has gotten fatter."
"Old age is associated with eyesight failure."
"You should try the diet I'm on... with all the prozac I've been doing, I'm never hungry!"
"My therapist told me to cut out the toxic people in my life.... so dont look for a Christmas card."

SuchAPrettyFace
01-03-2007, 03:28 AM
My usual response is "What would make you ask such a thing?" or "Why do you want to know"

^^Both responses put the onus on the asker, not on me. They are both valid questions.

I haven't been asked by anyone in quite awhile. I think they all know if they asked what size I am they'd be told to go :censored: themselves. :angel:

djs06
01-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Goddess Jessica.. I'm gonna have to use those. Thanks for the early morning laugh.

Skinny, I totally understand your frustration.. it would be one thing if your aunt said "wow, you look fantastic" or some such compliment.. but "did you lose weight" has such a weird implication, I HATE when/if people say that to me...

lilybelle
01-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Good for you.

At christmas, my niece noticed me when I walked in. She immediately said "how much do you weigh and what size do you wear and how much more are you planning on losing". I just said, I'm not planning on losing more, How about you? She shut right up.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-03-2007, 11:08 AM
My usual response is "What would make you ask such a thing?" or "Why do you want to know"

What a great response!! I can see Auntie now with her jaw hitting the floor......"here let me help you pick your face up off the floor":D

rockinrobin
01-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Whenever I speak to my mother in law on the phone, every 10-14 days or so, which is WAY, WAY too often, the very first thing she asks me is how's my diet going. #1 this is not a diet and #2 you are my husbands mother and you are the last person I want to discuss my so called "diet" with, or pretty much anything else for that matter. I mean what's next,she'll wanna know how's my sex life? :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: Ummmm, then I guess the diet question wouldn't be looking so bad after all.

Ahhhh, family you can't live with them, you can't live with them. Period.

wchs2007
01-03-2007, 02:47 PM
My sister in law is the same way... She is the one that was always so slim and had a fat remark about everyone...... Never said a word about my weight loss this past year..
Well when we uploaded all the Christmas pictures on my laptop at the in-laws Christmas eve.. Let me tell you I was singing thank you SANTA to me...
She was like.. I look so bad... Theses pictures adds weight..
I NEVER SAID A WORD...!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never thought I would see the day that I looked so slim compared to her..
Not that I wish being heavy on anyone.... Its a hard struggle.. But after putting up with all the fat comments since I was 17... Well I have to say it was wayyy to much fun to look at the Christmas pictures this year...
Sometimes I wonder if she can tell I have lost weight... Some people only see what they want to see..

SkinnyScorp29
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
wchs....isn't that something...my hubby saw my sister the other day..we havent spoken for two years...he says she got "hefty" ...i had a smirk on my face i must admit.... i always was the fat sister getting laughed at etc etc...and im doing something healthy with myself...and now the tables are getting reversed!

SkinnyScorp29
01-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Good for you.

At christmas, my niece noticed me when I walked in. She immediately said "how much do you weigh and what size do you wear and how much more are you planning on losing". I just said, I'm not planning on losing more, How about you? She shut right up.

Wow really?? I looked at your pics last nite and i want to say congrats...unreal what family members say...UGH

lilybelle
01-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Skinny, thank you. I feel the weight that I have chosen to maintain at is a good one for me. I tried to go lower and can't maintain lower. So, I'm happy with where I'm at. I just really don't like it when we have family gatherings and people try to focus on my weight. It's my own personal life, not theirs. They should worry about their own bodies, not mine. I will add, usually it's my sister that has all the negative comments. Now that I'm smaller than her, she doesn't mention my wt. except to say she thinks I'm "anorexic, have small boobs and a flat butt". LOL. I was also always the "fat sister".

Kamily828
01-04-2007, 08:55 AM
My mother in law is a pain. :devil: Shes always talking about how fat this person is, asking how much weight they have gained or complaining about what everyone eats. :nono:
Every Christmas she asks what size I wear so she can buy me clothes. I tell her but of course she always buys the wrong size. I wear 3X and she buys size Large! :?: How ignorant can she be? :mad:

SkinnyScorp29
01-04-2007, 03:38 PM
You know what I say sometimes...
Jealousy...Look around at all of us....whether we are still at our heaviest or reached our Goal weight...we ARE beautiful women inside and OUT...and sometimes i wonder if people and family members really want to hold us back because they are afraid of what we can become....
We can lose weight and become smokin' hot babes..and i have looked at before and after pics here so it's obvious...
But a mean spirited skinny person...well what can they do?
Because after we feel good about ourselves and reached that Goal..what is left for them?...only to look at themselves...
and you are welcome , Lily :)
Kamily...arent some mother in laws just grand *ick*

BeccaC654
01-05-2007, 07:49 AM
I am so glad I found this forum. I was starting to feel like the only one. Ughh. My mother, my grandmother, my aunt... need I keep going? I feel like I am not nearly as worthy in their eyes because of their obession with my weight. Holidays suck. Its gotten to the point that I am avoiding most of my family. My mother doesn't believe that a guy can like me at my weight and every guy I date she keeps pestering me about what is "wrong" with him. She is so judgemental of my life, which doesn't help with the weightloss process. Because my weight has been a life long struggle, it has become a life long struggle with her. I am finally doing this for me, but it is hard. I just wish that they would leave me alone.

To make matters worse I finally found the diet that is right for me. I like the atkins diet and it is working. Instead of just being happy that I found what works for me, they now harass me about how bad that diet is. WTF!!!?!!!?

Sorry about the long vent. But their lack of support makes this whole thing so much harder.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-steps2/slider-runningman/lb/273/125/268.8/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

lilybelle
01-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Becca, hang in there. I took a lot of crap from my family too over doing the Atkins diet. But, it worked for me and is still working for me to maintain my weight. I'm like you, they all ridiculed my weight before, and now they ridicule the way I choose to eat. I'm just letting it all go out the other ear and doing what I know works for me.

SkinnyScorp29
01-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Becca welcome :) it's always something isnt it??? what ever happened to GOOD JOB..you are doing great and if you need support just call me???? LOL Im so glad there is this forum!

spunker
01-05-2007, 10:00 PM
My grandma - my mom's mom - is aweful about it. The thing is, she doesn't say it to your face, she says it behind your back.

She waits until you leave and gabs to the person in the room with her, or she waits for a gossip session.

She's never really been a grandmother to my brother and I, so I've honestly never really seen her often, but I always have dreaded the times that I do. I know the moment I walk out the door, my weight will be discussed - either that or my mom's, or hey, why not both?

A few years ago my mom dropped me off at her place - I was going to help around for a few extra dollars. Maybe not even five minutes passed and my grandma says, "boy! you're mom has put on some weight!"

Maybe around the same time, I was there helping out because she had just had knee surgery, and was basically doing it as a favor to my mom - my cousin, who I hadn't seen in years was in town with her fiance. From what I always remembered of her, she was thin, bubbly personality, type of person.

Well, since then she had put on some weight - but still the same bubbly personality, and I honestly was glad to see her.

Her and her fiance leave, and my grandma opens her mouth: "April sure has gotten heavy *tisk* *tisk*".

I honestly don't get it, and it drives me crazy. Even though my cousin had gained some weight, who cares! All that matters is that she is happy, and she clearly was.

What's irritates me more is that my grandma isn't a pixie herself. I mean, pixie or no pixie, it's very rude, but because of this, it makes me dread seeing her (even the very small amount that I do out of respect for my mom).

Heh, sorry, a bit of a rant there... :o

SkinnyScorp29
01-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi spunker!!!! I hear ya...my relatives want me to come down to florida...ooooo how i am dreading it!!!!!!! it puts a real downer on visits and vacation time!!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Wow...I never realized that families could be so cruel! I would think it would be the rarity, but it seems to be more like the norm for a lot of you. Forget about them! I'm sure I speak for all of us on this forum, if you need encouragement or a listening ear, we are here for you.