Support Groups - Over 50 & Getting Lighter Jan/Feb

View Full Version : Over 50 & Getting Lighter Jan/Feb

Cheryl120
01-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Morning Ladies...Here is our new home for the next couple of months.:D Hope you all had a safe and Happy New Year's Eve.

Hy...I spent the two weeks my Hubby had off getting his computer room/office painted, and started moving his things up to the room. It use to be a bedroom for one of the foster kids, but since we only have one child right now, I decided to move my Hubby back to his room and get his car parts and stuff out of my living room/dining room area. It was no fun trying to get his big rolltop desk up the stairs, but we did it. I told him if and when we move, he will hire someone to move it down cause I'm not doing it!!

Have you warmed up yet? That's so funny, because I would be wearing short with the temps you are having. We got 14 inches of heavy wet snow on Dec 30th. Still waiting for the grater to come out and clear the roads. Thank God for four wheel drive.

Carol...Are you still without snow? I can't believe that this was our first Christmas without snow since we moved here. Of course it made up for it last Saturday, and it seems every year we get ready for winter to come and some machinery will always be broke when you need it. My Hubby went out to start the loader so he could move snow and it has a flat tire. Filled the tire and it won't hold air. So I told him to hook up the rack we pull in the summer time to keep our driveway free of weeds. It did a pretty good job, but we still need to shovel snow so we can get our car to either go forward or backward onto what has been packed down.

It's a beautiful day here today and we are suppose to be back to 40 degrees tomorrow. I also spent the last couple of weeks cutting out another quilt. Made a set of placemats, pillowcases and embroidered two sweatshirt jackets. I also got myself back on program starting the day after christmas. I'm happy to report that I'm down to 334 as of this morning.:carrot: :carrot:
New Years Eve, we spent the evening with friends and I took a container of cut up veggies, grapes, FF Ranch dressing and weight watchers pretzels. Never touched the salsa or chips. Yeah for me!!!!:carrot: :carrot:

Donna...Hey girl, only 6 months till graduation. If I can loose 2 lbs a week, I figured I could have 44 lbs off by June 2nd, but would settle for 35. I just want to see 299 and know I can do it!

Have a great day and here is some:dust: for all of us to share.

Cheryl

carolr3639
01-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Yes we still have no snow and it may get to 50 here this week. We are supposed to go visit my daughter in Portland on the 16th so hope the snows stays away until the 24th when we return. ha!

Donna72664
01-02-2007, 03:13 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2007~!!!!
CAROL: Send some of that 50 degree weather my way. We ended up with a foot of fresh snow on Friday, so of course we didn't get out to our DD. It is up to 21 degrees this afternoon. Sounds like we could get rain towards the end of the week. Right now about 60 miles east of us there are about 15,000 to 20,000 residents without power because of ice storms this weekend. We stayed home New Year's Eve, just too cold and the roads too treacherous to be out. Watched some of the celebrations of tv, without snacking, I might add. LOL That is really a tragic happening. How awful for everyone but especially his family. Guess we just never know.

HY: Welcome back, sorry you are so cold out there in PHX :cry: Sorry that was naughty of me. Hope you get sunshine soon.

CHERYL: Showoff !!!! How do you get all those projects done? I need to practice some of that patience that Hy mentioned and maybe I could get some of my projects accomplished. Hope the grader made it past your house and you are right about 4 wheel drive. Congrats on the weight loss. I didn't come into work until 1 today so I didn't weigh, I like to do it in the morning. Guess it really doesn't matter that much.You did good on your New Year's Eve snacks, they sound pretty good.I know you will see 299 by graduation, I bet you'll be down even more than that. I'm pulling for you.
Let's work really hard, We can do it!!!!

I'd better go see if I can get some more ice off of the sidewalk out front before tomorrow, no ice melt to be found in town and I hate to use water softener salt,it's so hard on the cement. Talk to you later this week, keep up the good work
REMEMBER:" If you have a craving for something, take 2 bites, the first 2 bites of any food always have the most flavor,after that you are just "feeding"

DONNA:exercise:

hyacinth merry
01-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Thank you Cheryl for starting the new thread for the next couple months!

A very Happy New Year to all and it's very encouraging to read the positive things going on with everyone's programs. Yes, some challenges, but I like the positive attitudes I'm hearing. :hug:

For New Years Eve I made several snack trays of simple things like veggies, fruits, cheese and some sliced ham. That worked well for us. My DH was under the weather so we just stayed in and watched TV. It was actually kind of a nice time - I needed to relax!

The only bad thing was that I made some decaf coffee that evening and although I ground the beans myself, it must have been packaged incorrectly because I was just buzzing, still awake at 2 AM. I still haven't had a chance to catch up on that sleep either...maybe tonight.

Hy

Cheryl120
01-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Evening Ladies...I had a GREAT DAY! Had my Weight Watchers weigh-in and I was down 6 lbs by their scale. My ticker is correct, and I hope I do as well next week. Not expecting another 6 pounds, but a loss of anything each week for the next 6 months would be GREAT!!.

Hy...Sounds like you had a very nice New Years staying home and watching TV.
My Hubby and I went to a friends house and played "Penny Porker". It was a fun evening and I did good eating the snacks I packed for myself.

Had a beautiful day today with record highs. We hit 47, so it started melting all that snow we got. I drove through our yard about 10 times to pack the snow down so my DH can get the car out tomorrow.

Have a wonderful evening.

Cheryl

Donna72664
01-05-2007, 09:59 AM
CHERYL: :hug: 6 LBS. WOW that is super. I knew you would do it. I'm so proud of you. Keep up the good work.

HELLO TO CAROL AND HY

We had warm weather yesterday and saw most of the ice melt off of the streets, thank goodness. Suppose to get an inch or two of snow today again.

Well I started the iVillage challenge yesterday. Wednesday I started on an exercise program. Decided this time to start out slow on the exercising instead of trying to be some star athlete ;) right off the bat, still hurts.
Think I will stay with my Change One Plan as far as eating, I know it works for me, but will read all the advise they have,who knows I might learn something. LOL

Hope you gals are all having a good week, and have a great weekend. I read this on one of the sites I was visiting ,
"SMALL CHANGES FOR BIG DIVIDENDS"

Till Monday, DONNA

Cheryl120
01-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Donna...I was pretty shocked by 6 lbs as well. Did you see the new "People", it was on people that have lost over half their size. Anyway, I decided to still stick with Weight Watchers points, but I'm switching things up a bit. I having dinner for Breakfast and breakfast for dinner. Sounds a bit crazy to some people, but if you think about it, I'm eating the heavyest meal first and have all day to work it off. I've done it for two days and have no cravings. Today I couldn't follow it since I had a dinner to go to tonight, so I ate very lite today. Can't wait for Wednesday to see what the scales have to say.

We are suppose to get 1 to 2 inches of snow tonight, but we also have 60 mile per hour winds coming in, so we are talking BLIZZARD if it happens.

Hy and Carol...Hope you are having a good weekend.

Well ladies, I was gone all day yesterday and didn't get home till after 9, and I have been gone most of today and just got home. Going to put my feet up and relax. Have a good weekend and I'll see you on Monday.

Cheryl

Donna72664
01-09-2007, 02:39 PM
GOOD AFTERNOON LADIES, How is everyone doing ? Hope you had a good weekend and got rested up. I'm really glad to get back to normal,whatever that is !! Finally got all of my Christmas stuff packed away, now my house looks so bare.

Well I told you I was doing the iVillage challenge. Seems like they make it so complicated. A site for the diet, one for the exercise, one to keep track of it all.SOOOO, I am doing my own thing as far as eating and Prevention has a great plan for exercises with pictures and everything so am using that. I figure if I use enough tools I have no excuse for this not working.

Oh Cheryl,HELP, my gd called and graduation is May 14. I am really going to have to hustle now.

Just wanted to check in, am on my way to the treadmill then today I have to do my strength training too. Talk to you soon.

:hug: DONNA

hyacinth merry
01-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Sorry to be MIA - again!! And running through here today at breakneck speed but just wanted to say hi.

Cheryl that loss is absolutely fantastic!! I know you have worked hard for this too. I'm so pleased for you!

Donna you are making me feel guilty now (just kidding!) for still having BOTH my Xmas trees still up - lol!! It was been one thing after another here - appliances going whacky, my DH was sick, repairpeople here almost every day - in other words: Chaos! :eek: Maybe I can start this weekend and get those ornaments and trees put away.

At least the outdoor lights were all taken down and boxed for storage. Baby steps...;)

Btw, I'm here to offer support and encouragement to help you reach the graduation date goal!

I had a serious talk (again - hehe) with DH about BOTH of our food programs. I've been doing Atkins - the smart version for a year now. DH does not have any weight issues, but his sugar is slowly creeping up and I believe the low-carb diet would help him with that situation - anything to prevent the onset of Diabetes and having to take meds. I would benefit too as then we would just eat that way, period. No me having to buy separate groceries for myself. Anyway, he seems agreeable so we're going to make the "official" start date next week - I have to get to the grocery store first - lol!!

So that's the news from our hectic household. Sending hugs and good wishes to all :hug:

Hy

Cheryl120
01-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi Ladies...Just a quick pop-in for tonight. Hubby and I have been under the weather with the flu since Monday. Don't feel like doing anything but sleep and stay under the covers. Had to go to town today, and let me tell you, I was bundled up big time. It was sooooooo cold out, -12...with wind chill we were -35 to 40 below. I'll try to get back here tomorrow and do personals.

cheryl

Donna72664
01-15-2007, 10:18 AM
GOOD MORNING LADIES

CHERYL: Sorry to hear that you and DH have been ill. Stay in bed and try to stay warm. I was complaining about -25 with the wind, but hey compared to you that is warm ;) Hope you get to feeling better soon.

HY: Good for you having a talk with your DH about his eating too. I have tried that and it works for awhile. My DH has such a sweet tooth ! Thanks for the Graduation support, I'm going to need all the help I can get.

As for me I have been doing really good until yesterday. It was cold and had been snowing since Friday night. I made a big pot of ham and beans for lunch and cornbread of course. Had a good breakfast, my oatmeal, and the soup for lunch.THEN, mid afternoon it was like I was possessed. I couldn't find enough junk to eat. I was so mad at myself, but I'm back on track this morning. Still have my exercises to do,but I promise I will get to them.
I weighed myself when I got to work and I'm down 2 lbs so far this month. If I can keep going I should be back to my tracker weight by the end of the month, or if I'm lucky a little lower. Just have to push myself everyday to do this. Unfortunately, none of my friends here worry about their weight, that is they talk about it all the time, but they don't believe in exercise or trying to watch what they eat, so they aren't much help to me. They are good about saying nice things when I have lost weight but they kind of laugh and say " yea, like you need to lose" Oh well, I have you gals to make me feel good about myself when I do good. THANK YOU SO MUCH
Where did our new friend Carol go ??

Guess I had better go :tread: it's that time. DONNA

Cheryl120
01-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Afternoon Ladies...Finally over the bug I had and back on track with my eating. I totally blew it last night and ate 5 taco's, and if I had junk food in my house I would of had that as well. I just couldn't get satisfied. This morning I had FF vanilla yogurt and 1 1/2 c strawberries. Lunch was LC Pepperoni pizza, 1 c mushrooms, hand full of baby carrots and 2 TB of FF Ranch dressing. Planning on having a grilled boneless pork chop and a salad for dinner.

Donna...We are so cold our Suburban won't start. So much for block heaters! At least we don't have to deal with any fresh snow or freezing rain like you are having. We are suppose to warm up to 25 by Wednesday. Yippie!!!!
Congrats on loosing 2 pounds, that great!

Hy...Hope you had a good weekend in your warmer weather. Enjoy!

I'm not weighing myself till next week, since I have been sick and not eating like I should. Hope for a nice loss next week.

Cheryl

carolr3639
01-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Boy, You all sound just like me with those ups and downs......wish it were mostly downs. I did get in a beautiful walk today in the snow......first good snow we've had and kids and grandkids were outside enjoying it even though it was only 15 degrees. I went for a mile hike and probably could have gone longer except for the cold. I've lost a little weight but it feels like hardly anything with what I had gained on the prednisone.

Donna72664
01-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Carol, so glad to have you back, we missed you. Romping in the snow with the grandkids and kids is so much fun. I envy those who have theirs close enough to do that. Prednisone !!! yikes that stuff is so hard on weight loss, but if you have lost some that is great. Keep up the good work. it all counts

Cheryl120
01-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Carol...Glad to have you back. Are you still leaving for Portland tomorrow? Is that Oregon or some other state? A walk in the snow with the grandkids sounds so nice. I'm like Donna, I envy you!:p I plan on going mall walking with a couple of my friends before our weight watchers meeting tomorrow. Way to cold to go out and walk. We still have below zero temps, so no way I'm walking outside.

Donna...How's your weather? Hope it warms up for you by the weekend. We might see 30 on Saturday, which would be great. I would really like to see above 35 so some of this snow and ice would melt. As cold as it has been, you would think the lakes would be completely frozen, but they aren't. Had a teen riding a snowmobile across a lake hit open water, they still haven't found him. So sad and terrible for his family.

Still doing good on my eating and trying to not listen to that little voice in my head, instead I'm chugging water and will have an apple to snack on pretty soon. Hubby and the FD will have hamburger helper for dinner and I'm fixing myself a yummy shrimp salad.
Have a nice afternoon.

Cheryl

Cheryl120
01-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Good Morning Ladies...Had a good weigh-in at WW yesterday. I'm down another 1.6 lbs. Got a couple laps in at the mall with my friends before WW started. I want to continue to do that every Wednesday.

Have a few things I need to get done before I have to pick the FD up from school and take her to a couple of appointments this afternoon. Wish I could just stay home, cold and very windy today. At least we have had no new snow to contend with.:D

Going to put another load in the washer and go up and finish putting a border on two quilts. Have a good day.:hug:

Cheryl

Donna72664
01-19-2007, 09:44 AM
TGIF, Well I think. Just listened to the weekend forecast on the radio:tantrum:
we will go into a winter storm watch tomorrow pm for 6+ inches of snow
tomorrow night and into Sunday. Every weekend we've had snow, just getting the streets cleaned off so they aren't so rough. It is suppose to get up to 32 today,so that should take a little more off, the wind is blowing too.

OK enough whinning, but I'm ready for spring. I have kept up my exercises this week, I'm so proud of myself.

CHERYL, congrats on another weight loss!:carrot: you are doing great. Did you get your borders on those quilts ? Are these ones we haven't seen yet?

HY and CAROL hope you gals are doing ok.

Plan on going shopping in the morning, hope the snow waits till I get home. Time to stock the pantry again.

OOOPs the washer just shut off so had better get them in the dryer, then it will be time for a patient in the gym. Talk to all of you next week, have a great weekend. DONNA

hyacinth merry
01-20-2007, 01:34 PM
This morning I had FF vanilla yogurt...

:lol: Cheryl, when I read this, the first thing I thought was Fancy Feast (a cat food brand!) and that just didn't seem right - lol!! Fat-Free, right? You can see I spend a lot of time with pets ;)

Hy

hyacinth merry
01-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Well thanks for the well wishes, but PHX has been SO cold and we had several days of a killing frost - not good as the plants/trees die, not just go dormant :(

I'm working on my program and having "eeh" kind of success, so I guess it's time to reassess again and decide how to proceed. Made some homemade chicken soup this morning as my DH feels a cold or flu coming on (again!)- I tell you, he's been sick all winter with one thing or another. I've done a lot better and haven't had any of that stuff - keeping my fingers crossed! :crossed:

The one thing I did tell him was that he was going to have to not just sit around and read the paper 24/7 unless he was REALLY sick because I'm starting to wear down with all the extra work I've had to do as a result of his various ailments the past 2 months. I am going to get sick too if I have to continue burning both ends of the candle here....

BTW, my chicken soup turned out very good as far as taste, but I didn't cook the celery long enough I guess as it's kind of crunchy!!! I "simmered" for about an hour in the stock, with the onions and used the little food processor to finely chop the celery, so I can't figure why it's still crunchy! Guess we will just have to have Crunchy Celery Chicken Soup - I wonder if Paula or Emril or anyone else on the Food Channel would approve? :p

I am keeping track and eating all the recommended (and more) amount of fruits and veggies each day - I think that helps alot with your immune system and maybe getting to skip some of the colds and flu going around - hope so!!

Glad to hear that Cheryl has recovered from her flu - poor girl, that's so miserable to have to go through :hug:

And hope everyone else is hanging in there and having some success with their programs :hug:

Hy

hyacinth merry
01-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I have kept up my exercises this week, I'm so proud of myself.

WTG Donna!!!!!!:carrot:

When the weather is so terrible, it makes it even harder to get movitated so you should be very proud of yourself!!!

Hy

Cheryl120
01-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Morning Ladies...Busy, busy weekend for us. My Hubby is on his days off since friday, and he goes back to work tomorrow night. Went to Bismarck Friday to see how our 57 was coming along. I don't think it will be done by June the way the guy is working on it, so it will probably be next summer before we can show it. :(

My Hubby put a second coat of paint on his walls, and we should be ready to start getting the room set up the way he wants it with his computer and all his other stuff. Also have to set up a cot somewhere in there. We are doing respite care starting next weekend for an 8 year old girl for a week.

Donna...Did you get hit with more snow? After such a hot dry summer I said I wouldn't whine when winter came. I lied!!! I'm whinning!! We are going to be in the mid 20's this week, with a chance of snow on Wednesday. I just want spring and in the 50's or higher to get here.

Hy...Fancy feast...Gave me a chuckle!! Yes, Fat Free, but I'm sure my cat would love it. I hate seeing all this frost/ice hitting the southern area. Fruits and veggies are already on the rise here. At least gas prices have dropped, we are $2.09.:carrot:

Yesterday I got a couple duffle bags embroidered for a customer. Also got the first boarder on my grandson's quilt and the final boarder on my granddaughter's quilt. You haven't seen these, but once they are finsihed, I'll post a picture. They are both Triple Irish Chains. My grandson's is WWII airplanes and in the colors of dusty blue, dark green, red and yellow. My granddaughter's is funky bugs and in the colors of bright purple, limegreen, yellow and tourqoise. Have another quilt cut out for my sister-in-law, and it's Laurel Burch Mythical Horses, and the other colors will be sage green, tourqoise, magenta, and apricot.

I have done great all weekend on my eating. I'm looking forward to weigh-in day on Wednesday. Well I need to get busy, so have a good day.

cheryl

Donna72664
01-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Good morning ladies,
Yes Cheryl,we did get more snow!!!! Right now the sun is shining but it is only 3 degrees and I'm looking out the window at 8 inches of new snow. That is 4 weekends in a row now. I'm with you, 50 would feel so good, I just want to see my grass again ;) and so does my little dog. She went out yesterday morning and it was past her belly, she didn't know quite how to get through it ,looked like a rabbit out there hopping around.DH got a spot cleared off for her though. Glad you had a good weekend and I will think of you on Wednesday :hug: know you will do good again. Your quilts sound so pretty, look forward to the pictures. What will you do for this 8 year old girl ? I'm not sure just what respite care is. Too bad about the '57,know you were looking forward to showing it off this summer

HY did I hear right, you have snow there too, or was it somewhere near there? It will be sad to lose trees and plants due to this crazy weather this year. Fruit has gone up already here too. Hope you warm up soon and stay well. We have been pretty lucky this year not to be too sick. Seems like lots of folks around here have been sick most of the winter too,feel good for a few days and then it comes back. Thought the cold would maybe kill off some of the germs but guess not.

The street dept. is out in front of the office with their big snow blower getting the streets cleared again. Sounds like it is having some problems.
Guess I had better get busy, am having patients cancel that live in the country due to the roads.

Talk to you gals later, I too had a good weekend, got me lots of veggies, fruits and yogurt so have no excuse to eat well and I even did my strength training exercises, now I'd better jump on the treadmill and make it sing.
Have a great day, DONNA

Cheryl120
01-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Evening Ladies.:hug:

Donna...Hope you don't see any of the white stuff this weekend. We are in the mid 20's for highs, but suppose to be back below zero by Sunday.:( Respite care is giving the foster parents a break from the child they are caring for, or this case the child they are in the process of adopting and can't take out of the country while they go on vacation. So she will come and stay with us for a week.

Hy and Carol...Hope you are having a good week.

Had a great day and had my weigh-in at weight watchers. I'm down another 1.7 pounds by their scale. Yipeeeeeeee!!! Got a 40 minute walk in at the mall, so I feel good about that as well. Really feel in my heart that I will see 299 by June.

Till later,

Cheryl

Donna72664
01-25-2007, 02:16 PM
CHERYL: I knew you would lose again this week :hug: Keep going girl you are doing so well. You will be 299 or less by June.
Thanks for explaining respite care, you and your hubby are so kind to take care of these kids. It must be very rewarding.
We aren't suppose to get any more snow this weekend, temps in the 20's,so I can live with that,but someone said we are suppose to get a real dusey of a storm the next weekend. Sure hope they are crazy !!!!
I'm not going to weigh again until the 30th. I have been doing pretty well on the eating side and really well on the exercise, just hope I can see that scale go down a little. I can feel my stomach tightening up a bit.

HY and CAROL: You gals must be working really hard, haven't heard from you in a little while. Hope all is well with you.

Check in again tomorrow. DONNA

hyacinth merry
01-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Wow Cheryl, you are really doing great!!! Congrats on that loss!

LOL Donna I'm fine, just very busy (too busy really) with DH sick yet again and several of my pets needing to be taken to the vet - thank goodness at least I'm not sick! Tommorrow I have a massage scheduled and I think that will be a good way to end the week :-)

I'm doing what I'm "supposed" to be doing and not much news on that front at present. Seems like recently my attention has necessarily been elsewhere, but that happens, right? I like significant calendar dates, so I think since a new month is rapidly approaching, I may do a mini goal for Feb. Details to follow...lol!!

Hugs :hug:
Hy

Donna72664
01-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Good morning ladies, Well today is the 30th and I had to step on the scale this morning. I bought a new digital scale Friday.
:D I lost 1 pound in the last two weeks. Guess I'm not working as hard as I need to be, but hey, 1 lost is better than 1 gained.

Just running through,later, DONNA

hyacinth merry
01-30-2007, 10:18 AM
I lost 1 pound in the last two weeks. DONNA

Donna that's great! Don't worry about the "shoulds" - you lost a pound - woohoo!!:carrot:

Hy

hyacinth merry
01-30-2007, 10:29 AM
One of my dogs has been ill so my posting has been hit and miss :(

Lots of stuff going on at home too - nothing serious - more just annoying like item's delivered damaged, wrong finishes, etc, but it did put me into a funk last night. Oh well, today's a new day :-) I found a really pertinent quote last night as I was going through books I want to donate to the library:

Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

LOL - so true although I sure hate to fess up to it! :D

As to my program, I'm working intently on getting more fiber into my diet - I've done ALL the recommended stuff, btw. Hope it's been a good week so far for everyone here...:hug:

Hy

Cheryl120
01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Donna...WHOOHOO for one gone!!!:carrot: :carrot: We all know that we work very hard for each and every pound we loose, and as we get older it get's harder.

Hy...Hope your little dog is well soon and it's nothing serious.

I've had the munchies all weekend, so don't know how I will do tomorrow. Old man winter finally came in with a blast this weekend. Got some more snow, but don't know how much with the wind blowing it around. My Hubby left for work lastnight and didn't check the north driveway and got the car stuck. He has worked almost all day trying to dig it out and even hooked it up to our surburban to pull it out and couldn't. Finally got it out at 4PM, but we can't drive out the north side till we either buy a snowblower or have a neighbor plow us out. The joys of winter in the upper midwest.
Let you know what the scales have to say tomorrow.

Cheryl

Cheryl120
02-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi...Just a quick fly-by for tonight. Went to WW yesterday and I stayed the same. Very happy about that.:D Better than a gain any day.:carrot: :carrot:

We are in a deep freeze and I'm trying real hard to stay warm. Our power was out for 4 hours this afternoon, and I can't believe how fast the house cooled down. Ozzy and I cuddled up in a couple of blankets and took a nap. In my book, that's a nice way to spend a very cold afternoon.:hug:

Have a great evening!

Cheryl

hyacinth merry
02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Cheryl I'd send you some warmth but we don't have any here either!! What a cold and rainy year for PHX. I'm glad you got your power back!!

Cuddling up with a precious little dog...now that sounds like Heaven!

Crazy here - I'll explain another time. Just want you guys to know I'm thinking about you and anxious to hear what's happening at WW and on the scales at home.

Hugs :hug:
Hy

Donna72664
02-02-2007, 09:27 AM
:coffee: Hi gals, so glad it is Friday. Seems like the week went by fast but it has just been one of "those" weeks.

HY: I hope your little dog is feeling better. Glad you are working on your program so intently. Hope you have a good weekend.

CHERYL: This cold weather is wearing me out. Glad your electricity was only out for 4 hours, it can get darn cold in that short amount of time, but sounds like you had the perfect answer, a good book and a cuddly furry friend.

I seem to have the winter blahs something terrible this week. Just don't seem to care about a darn thing. Been busy at work but so many are sick and they bring it with them, just wish they'd stay home. It is -22 with the wind chill this morning and I would have loved to stay home by my wood stove and curled up with my little dog, she loves to be cuddled, and my book. Going to be a very cold weekend so won't be venturing out.
My GD got Winter Coronation Queen last weekend, she was really excited,
just wish I could have been there to see it, she did send a picture in her
e-mail though. She also got accepted into the local college there and she is trying out for their show choir next week. Still having a hard time believing
that she is that age. Maybe that is part of my blues.
I had better get busy, have a load in the washer and have one more to do before lunch time.

Hope you both have a great weekend and I will talk to you on Monday.

DONNA:val1:

Cheryl120
02-02-2007, 04:03 PM
:shocksn: :yikes: Donna, I don't know about you, but I'm so tried of this cold weather. Anything over 20 degrees I can live with, but this -20 or more I certainly feel in my knee. Had to venture out to town and get new license plates since my Hubby lost one on Monday night when he hit a deer and our tags expired yesterday. If we didn't have a meeting to go to tonight, I wouldn't of left the house. So very cold out!! I have heard on the TV today that if the winds pick up, the state police will close the interstate. They are saying that we could be -50 below with the wind chill tonight. All I can say is BRRRrrrrrrrr!!!
Wish I had a wood stove to cuddle up to.:hug: Enjoy your weekend.

Hy...I love to cuddle up with my little Ozzy. I had to get his booties out for him to wear when he goes outside. He doesn't like them, but I think he is glad that I make him wear them once he get's outside on the ice. It doesn't take him long to do his business.
Hope you have a great weekend as well.

I plan on getting some machine embroidery work done on some placemats this weekend that I'm doing for my daughters birthday. I'm also doing respite care for a 8 year old girl for the next 10 days. she is very sweet and I don't think we will have any problems with her. I just have to find things to keep her busy.

Cheryl:val1:

hyacinth merry
02-09-2007, 11:59 AM
We had some cable problems (and therefore computer issues) at our house this past week...

Have been getting up and walking each morning (my Feb. plan) and it has been great, since the weather here is perfect for that right now. Staying with 5 days a week tho as I like having weekends off! :D

Hope everyone else is staying warm where you are at (not very easy!!). Don't be envious of our weather - just wait until summer rolls around here :devil: LOL!

Hugs to all :hug: Have a great weekend!

Hy

hijude
02-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi I am new to the group and was looking for an over 50's group. Anyone here from Canada? I am from British Columbia and am looking forward to getting to know some of you. I am doing the Zone and seem to be stuck at not getting past the 220's. Would like to see the end of the 2's period. Boy it is hard to lose weight at this age. Whew!!
Jude

hijude
02-11-2007, 07:28 PM
How do you change the weight loss slider and keep it there?

Donna72664
02-12-2007, 11:16 AM
GOOD MONDAY MORNING CHICKIES !!

:welcome: JUDE, We are always glad to have someone new join us. We will do our best to keep you motivated and on the right track. As for how to change your weight loss slider, I'm not sure I'm the one to ask, I haven't gotten to change mine for so long now that I have forgotten. :shrug:

CHERYL, Yes I am about to go crazy here. It has been foggy for 3 days and now today we are having freezing drizzle and they are calling for 3-4 more inches of snow:stress: I really want to see Spring !!!!. We did go out to the river and cut firewood on Saturday morning. It was pretty chilly, but in amongst the trees you don't get the wind so it was "kind" of fun to play out in the fresh air and get some exercise. I hurt so bad by Saturday night I thought I might not get out of bed yesterday. We went to the Senior Center for chicken dinner, they were having a fund raiser, oh yummy !!!!!

HY: I'm sure you are enjoying getting out to walk in the mornings, good for you.
That is really my favorite time to get with it but it is just too icy here yet.
And no you are right we won't envy you when summer comes and you tell us it is 105 out:hug:

JUDE: None of us are from Canada, but that doesn't mean we don't love ya
You are so right, it just gets harder and harder to lose as we get older, but if we struggle together it sure makes the journey easier.

Sorry I've been MIA. Been really busy at work, which is a good thing. I kept at my exercises only fairly last week and I didn't eat real good either, so when I weighed myself on Saturday morning, I had gained back that darn pound that I keep playing with. Guess I'm going to have to get tough so I can kick it out for good and then maybe I can get going again.

Here's some :dust: for all of us this week. Let's make this an extra good week, and don't enjoy the Valentine's candy too much.

DONNA:val1:

hyacinth merry
02-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Welcome Jude :hug:

And Hi! to everyone else :hug: :hug:

Yep, I am sticking with the walking 5 days a week and have made the time alloted managable and stuck with it so I feel good about this :carrot: As you know this time of year is our nice weather and it's up to me to take advantage of this!! Anyway, I am just happy to be able to walk and move around.

No, no "goodies" for me for Valentine's Day - that's a rule here. Sweets are not my friend and that's been the case for a VERY long time. For those lucky to be able to eat that stuff, well goody for them, but I'm just not able to indulge.

Need to get a new pair of walking shoes - I like new balance and have a pair but realized that I am wearing them for just about everything :dizzy:

Hy

Cheryl120
02-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Happy Valentines Day :val1:

Sorry I have been MIA.:( Got my socks knocked off for the second time with the flu. I have been sick since last week, chills, fever, horrible cough and headache. Today is the first day that I really feel like I'm getting better, but still light headed. I did go to my weight watchers meeting and I loss 4.9 lbs. I'm soooooooo excited about that!!

Jude...:welcome3: :welcome: . I'm looking forward to getting to know you, and yes it is very hard at our age to loose the weight. To change your slider, click user cp, click edit signature. Scroll down to box where your ticker is written in code. change your current weight and scroll down to save signature and click it. Your done. Hope this helps.

Donna...At least you are able to get out and cut wood. We are still in the subzero temps. It was so cold this morning that my suburban wouldn't start and it was plugged in. With wind chill, I believe we were -35 at 9am. We only got to -11 for a high today. We are suppose to get a couple inches of snow tonight and and maybe warm up to 30 by Sunday. I can hardly wait.

Hy...You lucky lady!! I soooooo envy you for your warm weather and to be able to go out and walk. I'm hoping by the end of March I'll be able to go out walking and not freeze to death.

hijude
02-14-2007, 11:59 PM
What a tough day to stay on track! Would you believe that they had a chocolate fondue fountain at my work today for everyone. What a challenge this day was. The only good thing was that I had salmon for dinner.
So I am the only Canadian eh? Well I live on the west coast about 2 blocks from the ocean and it is lovely here. It is cold and rainy right now but spring should be here any day. I find it really hard to get out to the gym when the weather is bleak. I need to go before work and so that is the problem.
I lived in Manitoba as a kid so I know how cold North Dakota is. There is a new lady on the site that I have met and told her about this thread but she has not seem to have found it yet. She is from Chicago.
This site is huge and you get lost easy.
So here is to a better day tomorrow. The fountain will be gone thank goodness. Hope you all did well.
Good for you Hy for walking 5 days a week. That is all you need.
Hope you are feeling better Cheryl.
And Donna this place where you live sounds so interesting. Are you out in the country?
Talk to you all again soon.;)

Cheryl120
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Jude...Hope you are having a better day today. Chocolate fondue fountain, just thinking about it makes me :drool: At least you finished the day off with a piece of nice salmon. I fixed grilled steak and a salad for my family.

I'm a native Oregonian and moved to North Dakota 9 years ago and miss the west coast very much. Plan on moving back when my hubby retires in six years.

Down 2 more pounds this morning, so I'm moving the ticker.:woohoo:

Cheryl:irish:

Donna72664
02-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Oh CHERYL,:hug: YOU ARE DOING SOOOO WELL. CONGRATS, YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE YOUR GRADUATION GOAL FOR SURE. HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER, THAT DARN FLU HAS REALLY BEEN AFTER YOU THIS YEAR.
WILL WE EVER BE ABLE TO GO OUTSIDE FOR A WALK?:shrug: IT IS SUPPOSE
TO WARM UP HERE LATER TODAY BUT RIGHT NOW WE ARE HAVING SOME FREEZING RAIN !!!! WIND IS GOING TO BE ABOUT 30 - 35 MPH TILL MIDNIGHT. I THINK IT'S TIME WE ALL GO VISIT HY.

HY; GET READY FOR US ;) GLAD YOU ARE ABLE TO STICK TO YOUR WALKING 5 DAYS A WEEK, THAT WILL HELP GET THINGS KICK STARTED. I'M A BIG FAN OF NEW BALANCE TENNIES TOO. THEY JUST SEEM TO MAKE MY FEET LESS TIRED THAN SOME OF THE OTHER BRANDS. THAT IS THE BRAND THAT WE RECOMMEND HERE AT OUR CLINIC FOR OUR PATIENTS ALSO.

JUDE: I'M 60 AND HAVE LIVED IN NEBRASKA MY ENTIRE LIFE. BEEN MARRIED TO MY HIGH SCHOOL SWEETHEART FOR 43 YEARS. MOTHER OF 2 DAUGHTERS AND GRANDMOTHER OF 1 GRANDDAUGHTER AND 2 GRANDSONS.
GRANDDAUGHTER WILL GRADUATE FROM HIGH SCHOOL IN MAY. I AM A
RECEPTIONIST AND AIDE IN A PHYSICAL THERAPY OFFICE, WHICH IS WHERE I DO MOST OF MY EXERCISING, AT LEAST TILL THE WEATHER LETS ME GET OUTSIDE AND WALK AGAIN.

HOPE ALL OF YOU GALS HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND. I'M FEELING A LITTLE UNDER THE WEATHER TODAY SO I MAY JUST SLEEP THIS WEEKEND.TALK TO YOU ON MONDAY.

:luck2you: DONNA

hyacinth merry
02-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Cheryl sending get well wishes to you - that flu sounds nasty!! :( Hope you are feeling much better. Also congrats on your continuing weight loss - I know you have worked hard for this so woo-hoo and all that good stuff!!! :bravo:

Jude I hear you about the "helpful" souls that set up choc. fondue fountains :fr: What are they thinking?????? Well, we all live in this world and it seems to be a constant occurance, so it sounds like you handled it well and at least you are aware of what's good for you and what isn't so good for you ;) On that subject, my DH...yes, my DH that KNOWS better...got me a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day!!!! I'm sorry to say I wasn't a very gracious gift recipient - lol. Wow, just when you think you know someone....

Donna your weather sounds terrible!!! Yes, perhaps I should have a camp for you all over the winter months - lol. We will get ours tho once summer hits the desert :devil: I hope you feel better and yes, sometimes it's best to just stop, shut down everything and take the weekend off...an example I may also follow.

The walking 5 days a week has been great - not all that strenous or anything but a great way to start the morning. I have a treadmill and do use it, but honestly the time goes so much more quickly when you're outdoors, imo.

Have a great weekend all and hope everyone is feeling better soon!

:hug: Hy

hijude
02-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Good Morning Ladies.
It has been nice that you have all shared something about yourselves. It is the weekend and I had a good day yesterday with my food. I am doing the Zone and it will be a lifestyle for me. I feel better eating less refined carbs and more veggies. I am trying to get to below 200 pounds by summer. I have been trying for a while. I think having this group for support will help. I tried WW but went too many times and just did not stick with it. Next week I plan to get out to the gym. I go in the morning so it is just about getting up and doing it. I have been struggling with sleep and so it is hard to get up. But I do know that if I lose some weight I will sleep better. It is that first push that is so hard. Off to do some housework. Hope you are all feeling well and have a good weekend. The sun is coming out here!!
Jude

Donna72664
02-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Good morning ladies, can't believe it is Monday morning again so soon. Boy this weekend sure went by fast, at least for me it did. The temp made it up to 46 :cp: and I loved it. Went for a walk,still a little trecherous,but not bad. I even had my kitchen window open for awhile,sure improved my mood. I did weigh myself on Sat. and I lost 1/2 pound, hey I will take it. It all adds up in the end,right.

Hope all of you had a good weekend.

Jude; I didn't answer your question about if I lived in the country. No, we live in a small town,4600,in central Nebraska. We are on Interstate 80 and the North Platte River flows south of town. We have friends that own some land along the river and they allow us to cut firewood there. In fact we went out again Saturday morning. It is so beautiful down there, or will be when the snow is all gone. You can see all kinds of wild life and I love listening to the birds in the Spring. Once in awhile I catch a glimpse of a cardinal.Since we have had a lot of snow, if it gets warm like in the 60's in
late April or early May the Morell mushrooms should be abundant this year.
They are so good but lots of work to find,bad thing is the best way to fix them is to deep fat fry them.But like corn on the cob, it's a short season.
Good thing is you can't buy them in the store, you have to go hunt them for yourself,so you get some exercise too.;)

Well girls I have carried on long enough,better go and do a load of laundry this morning. Have a wonderful day.:cupgold: DONNA

hijude
02-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Sounds nice Donna. I have never lived in a small town. We do not get much snow here just rain in the winter. But it is mild. I am at work. I went to the gym this morning but that was a battle as I woke up at 430am. Not fun. Then lay in bed debating whether I would go to the gym. Had a lousy food day yesterday but doing great today. I think it is harder to lose weight in Canada. lol! Whats a DH??
Jude

Donna72664
02-21-2007, 09:33 AM
JUDE; Good for you going to the gym even if it was a struggle. I must say that 4:30 in the morning is a bit early;) It is so hard to lose weight anywhere at any time. I just struggle. I think I do so good one day and then the next I seem to forget all about it. I have done a speed burst session on the treadmill this morning. I warm up at about 2mph then I speed up to my normal walking pace of 3.3 and do that for 2 minutes then I speed up to 4.3 for 1 minute then back to 3.3 for 1;and keep that up for about 15 minutes. Hope to get up to 30 minutes by the end of the month. :whoo:

DH is dear husband,just saves time I guess.

Hope you have a good day and keep up the good work. It WILL pay off.

:drinkup: DONNA

Cheryl120
02-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi Ladies...Just a quick check in for tonight. Went to ww today and I'm up 5 lbs. Gained everything that I loss last week after being sick, but I expected it. I wasn't eating while I was sick and this pass week I was back on program, so it was my body adjusting to the change. New week and I know I will be down next week.

cheryl

hyacinth merry
02-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Me too saying Hi!...I've been having some computer issues but all is resolved now. I had good news on my latest thyroid ultrasound, the nodules are getting smaller. Also had a blood panel, but results will take awhile. Anyway, that was a relief.

A friend of mine asked if I'd be willing to go onto South Beach with her - I said sure, although I'm not really all that up on this particular diet. I do Atkins and maybe it's time to "shake things up" a bit :dizzy: I have to educated myself about SB, so went and got a library book.

We're still doing the walking in the mornings - just during weekdays - I'm taking weekends off from that as otherwise I'll be tempted to skip a day here and there and then....well, you know how it goes, lol ;)

Sorry I haven't been around much to support our newcomer Jude...it sounds like she is very committed and really working towards her goal!

Hugs to Cheryl and Donna - I know you two are VERY committed to your goals. What a great group!

Hy

hijude
02-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Well only made it to the gym on Tuesday so far this week. It is a sleep thing. There is a lot written about sleep deprivation and weight loss. As in you will not lose. What a struggle. I was wide awake till about 2am last night. So I am going to try and get up tomorrow and go. Interestingly enough the day I did go I slept great that night. It is hard to stay on track with the food when I am so tired. Heres to a better day tomorrow.
Hy: I have seen a lot of stuff on the site about SB. Have never tried it. I am doing the Zone.
You guys all have the exercise down pat. I hope to catch up to you.
So have a great Friday everyone. Will write more on the weekend. I think tomorrow is the start of a better week for me.
Jude

hyacinth merry
02-23-2007, 10:31 AM
It is a sleep thing. There is a lot written about sleep deprivation and weight loss. As in you will not lose. What a struggle. Jude

Yes the sleep thing is a difficult nut to crack IMO and I **just** read in a book that some sleep aids like Melatonin will actually increase food cravings - great! I have used that supplement on occasion too. I mentioned this to my doctor the other day and read her the passage from the book (also written by an MD) and my doc said that the premise actually made a lot of sense. So no more melatonin for me, even just occasionally.

Hope you are able to catch up on your sleep. Just take one thing at a time - you're doing your program and that is a huge step...the regular exercise, the other stuff WILL follow, trust me :hug:

Hy

hijude
02-24-2007, 12:01 PM
I have never tried melatonin but have thought about it. This week I have been doing a little better now with sleep. I hope to have a good food weekend . I just watched the Oprah show with the diet challenge with Bob Greene she is starting. It is pretty interesting. So everyone is working at the same thing. It is sure hard. I keep cheating. But today is a new day and I have my food planned so hopefully it will go well. It is snowing here! We had no snow. Hope it stops soon as I want to get out to the meat market to get some sandwich meats for lunches. I am going to try 3oz sand meat with melba toast for lunches with some coleslaw and a fruit. See how that goes. Lunches are my worst meals. I can't do the salad thing. I feel too deprived.
What do you guys eat for lunch??
Judi

hyacinth merry
02-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Jude I was reading my SB book yesterday and was surprised to learn that if you eat fruit, it's preferrable to do so later in the day, otherwise it spikes your blood sugar and sets you up for a day of food cravings (and probably binges as a result :( )

That is something I'm gonna try to do - not eat fruit until maybe dinner. I've been having blueberries or raspberrries with yogurt for a snack earlier in the day and I'm gonna stop that practice after reading about the above to see if I can tell a difference.

The best thing for me for lunch (low carb diet) are salad greens with whatever veggies are preferred and then egg salad on top of that - I make the egg salad with hardboiled eggs and some mayo and pretty much use THAT for the dressing on the salad. That really satisfies me for a lunch. (But I like eggs....maybe canned tuna or canned salmon would be a good substitute too).

You sound very committed and I like your "each day is a new one" attitude! We all make mistakes - lol :D The deal is to not let them stop you from achieving your goal! Sounds like some prepared items like you mentioned would be really good for you to have around - sometimes you just don't have time to start from scratch on everything you eat. I try, and do a pretty good job, but I found that even with best intentions, sometimes my fridge is empty...having some lean cold cuts or cheeses around can make a BIG difference in staying on your program :carrot:

:hug: Hy

hyacinth merry
02-24-2007, 12:27 PM
I am going to try 3oz sand meat with melba toast Judi

Jude I was going to mention too that a WHOLE grain slice of bread (the kind you can see the grain hulls in) might be better than the melba toast. The whole grain slice would take longer for your tummy to digest and that helps with hunger and food cravings...melba toast is low fat, but very highly refined...anyway, you might just experiment for a few days and see if one worked better than the other for you.

Just offering this since you asked about what the rest of us did for lunches - not trying to lecture you - lol!!

HY

Cheryl120
02-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi alll...Sorry I have been MIA so much lately...Had a lot of meetings and appointments for and with the FD this past week and this next week looks the same. Had a meeting to go to in fargo yesterday morning, but I never made it. Started out and only drove 30 miles in a hour and decided to turn around and go back home. Had freezing rain and wind, and by 1 PM it was snowing hard. We were only suppose to get about 2", but we have about 8 and it started snowing again this morning. So much for an early spring.

New day and new week in which I hope to get my act together. Way too much eating out this pass week, which isn't good. I always go in with good intention and then blow it.

have a good week ladies.

Cheryl

littlered
02-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first on a forum like this. Mostly I read the forums and learn.

I am almost 50 yr old grandma of 1.
I have 2 grown kids 21yrs and 27 yrs.
One husband of 28 ½ yrs.

This week I joined CURVES. I have never joined anything like that either.
I weigh in 185 lbs. and am only 5 ft. tall. Not good!

I am hoping to find support and lots of help losing this weight. And maybe make some friends too.

What is the best diet program for you? I know nothing about most of them.
I am not even sure were to start.

Thanks for being here, hope to get to know lots of you.

Theresa

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/tulip-bar/sliderbug/lb/185/125/185/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

hijude
02-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi Theresa and welcome!! Diets, I know them all but I think the best thing is to just eat real food and in moderation. I myself am following the Zone as I find it a lifestyle rather than a diet and is low glycemic. You can find out about it at www.zoneliving.com if interested. The Oprah web site has a new weight loss challenge starting with Bob Greene and he has a great weight loss plan. Really healthy and a lifestyle as well. Take a look at Oprah.com.

I am new to the site to and it is nice to have someone to chat to.
Hy: well I tried the melba toast and it was not great. I am stuck. If I have bread around I can start eating toast as a snack. Not the greatest thing for me. I do not seem to agree with things with yeast in them. I may see if I can find some decent pita bread. I wish there was a bakery that made it. The packaged stuff leaves a lot to be desired.
So I have my sand meat just nothing to wrap it in. I even like lettuce wrap but nice green head lettuce that works is hard to find. Maybe in the summer.
My sleep has gotten a little better over the weekend. Seems to be tougher on workdays.
Cheryl: you know I am like you. If I go to a restaurant I think I am in for a treat and I can not see the point of just going there to eat healthy. Pass the dessert menu!! I need to stay away.
Last night I was coming home from a friends and passed the Dairy Queen. Looked at my clock and it was 10:15pm. Tried to decide if it was too late for the tub of ice cream lol. Don't need that sugar blast at any time of day let alone at bedtime. So kept driving. But the desire was sure there. Then I thought to myself does a normal healthy person eat DQ at bedtime? No!! So lets try and remember what normal sized people eat. Not ice cream! Oh how hard it is too change!!
Have a good Sunday everyone and enjoy the Oscars if you are into it!!
Jude

Donna72664
02-26-2007, 11:32 AM
:welcome3: LITTLE RED: We are so glad to have another newbie with us. We will do all we can to help you with your weight loss struggle, and believe me it is a struggle.

JUDE: Good for you,not stopping at the DQ. I agree with you that lunch is hard to do good at. I'm always in such a hurry and I don't take time to fix any thing special. I try to do either low fat lunch meat or tuna and always on high fiber whole wheat bread. It really helps to fill me up. In the summer I do a lot of salads with tuna or chicken in them. I agree with Hy that the melba toast probably isn't a good answer for lunch but you said bread was a problem for you, that you snack on it if you have it, make your snack the melba toast. There are lots of ways to fool your hunger but sometimes we have to experiment to find out what works best for us.

HY: I don't think I have ever heard that fruit should be saved for later in the day. I'm going to try that too. Maybe that is what would work best for that 4:00 slump.Thanks for the information.

CHERYL: Will we ever be free of the snow ? We got another 8" too and the wind, we also had 1.25 " of rain before the snow. I'm just not sure that I will complain when it gets hot. At this rate that might only be for a day or two.:lol: I am like you about going out to eat. Good intentions but once I get there I figure if I have to pay that much to eat I better eat something I don't usually eat at home. That's a really bad attitude I know but we only eat out about once or twice a month.

:dance: :dance:OK I'm doing the happy dance today! I did my weigh in on Saturday morning and I lost 2 lbs. It has been 6 months since my weight tracker has been right. Now maybe I will be able to move it next week, I sure hope so. I ate not so good this weekend. I made potato soup, but I use 1% milk and I only had 1 small bowl.We also had kielbasa and sauerkraut, but I do boil the kielbasa first to get most of the fat out. How about all of those "buts" like that is going to make the food less fattening;)
I did keep up my exercises though. Now today I've had oatmeal and lunch is going to be a tuna sandwich and supper is steak and brown rice with veggie

Have a great day girls and I will see you later in the week.

littlered
02-26-2007, 12:14 PM
hi! Donna

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome.

I have a question (or 2).

Is it better to work out in the morning or evening.
I have signed up for 6 pm, because Magan works am. She needs me to go with her (*or she won't go)!
She is shy.
2nd question...
is it better to eat a dinner before going to CURVES @6pm or after?

Donna72664
02-26-2007, 03:15 PM
THERESA: I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for your questions.
As for myself, I prefer to exercise in the morning because if I do any type of real vigorous exercise in the evening I don't get to sleep until the wee hours of the morning.
As for eating, I would think you would want a little something to eat before you go just to give you the energy your body needs to do the exercises.
I am no expert by any means, just my thoughts. Good luck on what ever you decide and I'm proud of you for joining Curves, keep up the good work

DONNA:carrot:

hyacinth merry
02-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Theresa, first, welcome! I'm like Donna and find if I exercise in the evening then I can't fall asleep, so I exercise first thing in the morning. But in your situation, you have someone that wants to workout with you and they have to do that after work, so I'd give it a shot and see...maybe later in the day won't be a problem with your sleep. Having a workout partner is WONDERFUL btw!!!!! Wishing you both much success :D

Maybe eat something at around 4PM if you are going to Curves at 6. You don't want to be doing crunches and stuff like that with a tummy full of food - trust me!! lol. Then a light snack after you get home - I'm pretty sure protein would be good after the workout.

Hy

hyacinth merry
02-27-2007, 10:40 AM
OK I'm doing the happy dance today! I did my weigh in on Saturday morning and I lost 2 lbs.

Excellent work Donna!! I'm doing the Happy Dance for you too!!

My tracker hasn't moved here recently either, even with effort on my part, so I'm doing Phase one of South Beach with a friend of mine, starting March 01 (this Thursday) - it won't be too difficult for me as I do low-carb anyway and have for several years now. Just back to the restrictive phase for a couple or 3 weeks. So in other words, hoping to move my little starburst down the tracker too!

Hy

hijude
02-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi ladies. Another week. I need to figure out how to get through the day without cheating. First it is just a little and then when I get home it is "oh well I already had..." I really suffer from all or nothing thinking. It is hard to make it through the day when you either have to be perfect or blow it. Lately I have been in the blow it phase. I am stressed. Sometimes I am just stressed just cause I keep blowing it. Why does it have to be so difficult? Here is to a better day tomorrow. Once again I have had 2 nights of very little sleep and so that does not help.
Have a good Wednesday and I will be back tomorrow night with hopefully great results!!

Donna72664
03-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Good morning ladies.

What has happened to our fearless leader Cheryl? Cheryl are you lost in a snow drift ? We miss you. I hope that flu hasen't gotten ahold of you again.

It is a new month and we need a new thread but I won't start it until I see if we have one on Monday.

HY, JUDE AND THERESA: Hope you gals have had a good week. March sure came in like a lion around here. Wednesday we had freezing drizzle and then snow AGAIN!!!. Yesterday the wind blew 40mph and it is supposed to again today. That makes 35 feel really cold. My mood just keeps jumping around so my eating has been really awful this week. Not looking forward to weighing in tomorrow. What a difference a week makes ;)

:tantrum: I just want to get outside and walk. Feels like we have been shut in
forever. It has really been a long winter here. I know all of you are getting tired of hearing me complain about it too. I'm really sorry. I got my first
seed catalog this week. It is so fun to look at all the pretty flowers. I have found several that I would like to get, my problem is I don't have lots of room to put them but I may just get lots of pots and set them everywhere.
There are some beautiful new colors this year.

I need your help on something. How do you gals fix your fish? We love fish but my DH only likes it if I pan fry it. I use canola oil,just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. We don't have it as often as we should but I don't like to always fry it. Love to hear some of your ideas. Thanks

Have a great weekend everyone, talk to you on Monday

:luck2you: DONNA

hijude
03-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Good Morning. Well I am on the west coast and we should be having spring. Actually I saw the crocus coming up but now they are hidden by an inch of snow. We don't get much snow but it is wet here and chilly. I remeber those prairie winters.
Fish? well I usually only cook salmon and I sometimes use the butter spray to coat the pan and that seems to be enough. Or I poach it in a water. I have heard some people use milk. Not sure if your DH will like it that way but may he could have his with a sauce or a cutney.
Yes it is Friday. I am working some OT on Saturday. Keep trying to get my food in order but have been having some major slips. Not sure where to find chocolate cake on the Zone.lol. I have to learn that everything in life is not resolved with food. Are you guys going to change the thread? I might lose you. Keep me posted. I lost the lady in Chicago that was on the site. Maybe she will come back. I met a great gal from California on the Bob Greene message board and we have been emailing. We have lots in common as well. That message board is way too big though and people don't really interact. I had better get going and get ready for work . Here is to a better day!! Jude

hyacinth merry
03-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi all :hug:

I don't know how to change/start a new thread or I would! I'm sure Cheryl will check in at some point. Sorry to dump it on her, but I just don't know how to do!

My friend and I started South Beach yesterday (Mar. 01) and so far so good for me anyway, but I'm used to low-carb - this is new for her so a little more of a transition. I'll keep you all posted on our progress.

Donna, I eat a lot of fish and usually bake it. It depends on what fish you like too. I usually do halibut and salmon baked and use parchment paper to make a little tent/container - I can give you the guidelines if that sounds like something you'd be interested in. I basically adapted it from a recipe on Dr. Andrew Weil's site a few years ago.

I like sole, rolled up and baked too, but I don't cover it.

DH and I are continuing to take our first thing in the morning walk, 5 days a week. We're just committing month by month to this "program" to make it realistic and do-able for our particular situation.

Off to the grocery store this morning to beat the weekend rush - hope the weather straightens up for everyone - it IS challenging mentally and physically when it's nasty outdoors.

Hy

hijude
03-02-2007, 05:15 PM
I would like to hear the recipe for the fish in the oven with parchment paper. Trouble is I cook a piece only for me. But is sounds interesting.
Jude

hyacinth merry
03-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Here's my salmon in parchment and I just use single serving pieces of salmon, but you can do however, with more or less....I also have used this same cooking method for halibut.

Salmon baked in parchment paper

You preheat oven to 400 F.

Take parchment paper and spray lightly with Pam. Put single filet
on paper and add a little butter (or not), and I like to slice very
thin lemon slices and place on top of filet. Salt and pepper and
add any spices you like (dill's good). Thinly sliced onions are also
good as a topping.

Then you fold the parchment to make a little packet and twist the
ends closed. I put this on a baking sheet. It basically steams the
filet and it's very good. You can do more than one filet, but just
use one per packet. Oh, I always remove the skin from the fish fillet- it makes the fish taste 'fishy' IMO.

You only have to bake for about 10 mins - you can check on doneness,
but be care when you open the packet - there will be a release of
steam.

I usually cook up several packets as I also like salmon cold, on
salads too.

The parchment paper can be doubled over if you like for more strength.

Hy

hijude
03-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Oh that sounds great. I will try that next time. It is just interesting to try different things.
Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Jude

Cheryl120
03-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Ladies...I'm starting a new thread for March/April. See you there!! :hug:

Cheryl120
03-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Theresa and Jude...Just look for Over 50 & Getting lighter March/April in Support
Groups. Hope you don't have any problems finding us.

Cheryl

hyacinth merry
03-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi Ladies...I'm starting a new thread for March/April. See you there!! :hug:

Here's the link to the new thread (hope it works!!)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106216

Hy