Exercise! - January Walk/Run Challenge

View Full Version : January Walk/Run Challenge

Genesis
01-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Welcome to 2007!!! Letís set a mileage goal for January and walk/run our way into the New Year! Anybody who is interested in walking, running, or both, please join me!

I am starting to train for a triathlon, so my mileage wonít be as high as previous months since Iím planning to split my workouts between running/walking, biking and swimming. However, I still want to get 80 miles in for the month Ė so LETíS DO IT!!!!

January Goal = 80 miles
Miles Completed = 5 (run/walk = 3/2)
Miles to Go = 75

I have a long business trip mid-month and will be out of town for 2 weeks. Then, at the end of the month I have a weekend away with my girlfriends from my book club (7 ladies in a beachfront condo in St. Augustine, FL Ė I canít wait!!). So my month is pretty full, but Iím determined to meet my goal.

What is your goal????

:running:

Michele L
01-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm in, Genesis! I need to get back on track and this is just the challenge to help me do that!

January Goal = 70 miles
Miles completed = 4.1
Miles to go = 65.9

I'm taking a group of students to Spain in June and really want to be lighter and more fit by then! This can only help!

Thanks!

Michele :wave:

Genesis
01-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Welcome Michele! Nice to see you this month!

ArtsyGirl
01-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi gals-Good to see some new goals for the month. I'm gonna shoot for 80 miles this month. I think I'll try to do like Genesis and distinguish between my running and walking miles.

I started the new year with a cold and didn't do much of anything yesterday, but I did get up for my usual 4 mile walk this morning. I'm hoping I feel good enough for a run tomorrow, but I'm a bit congested so we'll see.

January goal-80 miles
miles done -0/4 (run/walk)
miles to go -76

scrappinRN
01-02-2007, 11:26 AM
I am not a running but I am trying to walk and I have walked 1.76 miles so far this year. I am going to try to work up to running but I need to get back in shape first so I'm going to say by March 1st I will be walking/running interval training. But for now I will say I will walk .

SIZE="5"][/SIZE][January Goal-25 miles:o (not so much compared all of you but I think realistic for me)/FONT]

I take classes also, so I get other cardio. I am hoping to do a marathon with my hubby before or for my 40th( I'm only 36 and have never ran in my life, except away from my brother as a kid;) ).
Good luck to all!

Louise1013
01-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I will try it. I use this book from Runner's World and currently am walking 2 minutes and running 2 minutes. I did a 5k yesterday and 1.5 miles this morning. I guess I will count my miles completed run and walk.

January Goal 70 miles

I will try and make a ticker... I love this site.

AnAbsoluteDiva
01-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Accountability. How fun!

January Goal - 60 miles

If I can figure out how to do a second ticker, I'll do that. Lest I forget the goal! :-p

Genesis
01-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Nice to see some old & new faces here this month! Brandy, Shannon, Jamie & Diva - WELCOME to our awesome January challenge! Good luck ladies!

Michele L
01-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I did another 3.05 miles on the treadmill this afternoon!

January Goal = 70 miles
Miles completed = 7.15
Miles to go = 62.85

AnAbsoluteDiva
01-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Clocked 3.6 miles today!

Is that really me
01-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Hey! I'm new here and would love to join your challenge. While I'm not yet ready to commit to 80 miles, I've set my goal at 50 miles for the month of January. I've completed 2.5 of them this a.m. I mostly use a treadmill (I'm one of the few people who actually like the TM!), although the incline is broken (flood) and I can only use it flat. I also walk my BEST dog in the whole world so that will also help! Looking forward for this challenge and motivation!! Nice to meet you all.

Jo

WindyCityChick
01-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi everyone! This sounds like a great idea, count me in. I ran 107 miles in December, so I'll set a goal of 120 for January. This is a little more than a 10% increase, but will be challenging because I'm going to be on a vacation at the end of the month. Hope I can get in a good chunk of miles before I leave - and maybe this will motivate me to keep it going while I'm traveling!

I ran 4.1 miles yesterday and 6.7 today, so I'm off to a good start at least.

ennay
01-03-2007, 01:57 AM
Hmm...I'm in but I 'll have to do some math to tell you what my January goal is, I only know what my 2007 goal is and I know January is not 1/12th as I will be ramping up to a marathon.

ArtsyGirl
01-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Morning gals-I got in a 3 mile run this morning with an extra 1.5 mile walk. Sure is nice to see so many people here this month.

January goal - 80 miles
completed - 8.5 (3/5.5 R/W)
miles to go - 71.5

Genesis
01-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Got in a quick 2 mile run yesterday with a half mile cool-down walk.

January Goal = 80 miles
Miles Completed = 7.5 (run/walk = 5/2.5)
Miles to Go = 72.5

Genesis
01-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Welcome Jo, Rachel & ennay! Thanks for joining us for our January challenge. Good luck to you all and I am looking forward to watching your progress!

Louise1013
01-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Another 2.5 miles today...

completed: 7.2 of 70 only 62.8 to go... I might have to do more than 2 miles a day... darn that bad math of mine... I sure do wish I would have paid more attention to my math teacher... wait a minute... I am a math teacher. Crap!

Is that really me
01-03-2007, 02:43 PM
1.5 mile dog walk; 2.5 miles treadmill for a total of 4.0 miles! Darn dog found some hershey's kisses in a Christmas stocking my daughter left laying in her room and ate a hole through the bottom and most of the kisses. Made her walk an extra 1/2 mile for that :)

Jo

ArtsyGirl
01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Jo-we made the mistake of keeping one of the bags of treats the dogs received for christmas under the tree. We came home from a trip to the museum to shredded packaging strewn all over the house and not a treat left! BAD DOGS!!!

ennay
01-03-2007, 04:45 PM
4.1 today

Michele L
01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
I added 3.1 this morning! My ticker tells my progress!

Is that really me
01-04-2007, 10:22 AM
2.5 on treadmill this a.m. Will take pretty Pennydog out for a walk this afternoon. I drove around my neighborhood to check the distance (I thought the pedometer was wrong). It's exactly 1.5 miles. I was surprised cause I thought it was less!!

Jo

MachGirlie
01-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Ok, I'm in. I have 2 weddings I'm in in the next 6 months and I want to be a MILF. I had a baby 3 months ago and thankfully lost all the weight I gained, but still have 25 pounds to go before I'm happy.

My Goal- 50 miles (starting off slow)
Miles Completed - 3
Miles to go - 47

Is that really me
01-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Got the dog out for a 1.5 mile walk for a total of 4.0 miles today. Lovely weather too. Unusually warm for January!

Jo

Genesis
01-04-2007, 08:13 PM
I did my first official triathlon training workout. Back-to-back 12 mile bike ride, 3.5 mile run & quarter mile swim. I'm pooped!!!!

January Goal = 80 miles
Miles Completed = 11 (run/walk = 8.5/2.5)
Miles to Go = 69

ennay
01-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Ok, I'm in. I have 2 weddings I'm in in the next 6 months and I want to be a MILF. I had a baby 3 months ago and thankfully lost all the weight I gained, but still have 25 pounds to go before I'm happy.

My Goal- 50 miles (starting off slow)
Miles Completed - 3
Miles to go - 47

When was your baby born? mine was born 10/3

I still have 8 to pre baby (not complaining, last time it took over a year) and probably 20 more after that

Louise1013
01-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Good job everyone... I do have to say... this thread keeps me going. I feel like I just have to post here each day.

Yesterday... I was going to rest... but DH convinced me to at least do 40 minutes of cardio with him. No running because of the shins still. I will count it for 2 miles of walking.

60.8 miles to go.

ArtsyGirl
01-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi gals, no walking for me yesterday (planned) or today (rain). I had to do a tape, but at least I was moving.

Genesis-Great job on the tri workout!!!! When is your event scheduled?? I wish I had the guts to try one, but I'm a terrible swimmer. I have considered a duathlon, but to chicken so far.

Jamie-way to get something extra in. I'm sure it made you feel great.

Great job everybody. Have a great Friday.

ennay
01-05-2007, 12:37 PM
went 4.4 this morning

Genesis
01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks Brandy! I'm planning on participating in the Danskin triathlon at Walt Disney World in May. I am enrolling in swim lessons because I need to improve my skills in this area. I know how to swim but my breathing and stroke technique certainly could use some help! I bought a racing swim suit, which I tried out for the first time yesterday, and that alone made a big difference. I also need to go to a bike shop and get some help with my bike. I have a hybrid and I need somebody to walk me through exactly how to use the gears. I'm clueless with bikes! This whole triathlon thing is so new to me that I'm just figuring it out as I go along. If you're thinking about trying a multi-sport event, I say go for it! Why not??? I never thought I'd ever do a triathlon, but now that I'm getting serious about it, it's exciting!

ennay
01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
triathlons are seriously fun

Genesis
01-05-2007, 09:38 PM
ennay - that's good to know! I sure hope I have fun. The only thing I'm nervous about is getting kicked in the face or kicking somebody else in the face during the swim. Are people usually jammed together, or is there room to swim without worry of bodily contact?

Also, what do you wear when you do a triathlon? I am considering buying this one-piece suit from Danskin http://www.danskin.com/triathlonsuit-1849.html but I don't know if I would be better off just wearing a swim suit and then throwing bike shorts over my suit at the first transition. I like the idea of the one-piece because it has a built in shelf bra and I could wear the one garmet for all three legs of the race. I'm not sure my swim suit would provide enough support for the run, so I would have to put a bra on over my suit and then I'd look like a fool. :o Any apparel tips are appreciated!

ennay
01-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Oh no, you will get swum over at the start. My first tri, someone nearly took my timing chip off. The best strategy, especially since you said swim is a weakness for you is to start at the back and to the outside edge of the wave. Let the fast people go. Move back into the main line once things have spread out and a rhythm has been established.

GET A SUIT...they are awesome. Depending on how much boobage you have you still may need more support. Mine doesnt have a shelf bra because for me shelf bras are useless.
I get one of these bras in black:
http://www.championcatalog.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prnbr=CH1018
and wear it UNDER the tri-suit. It is made of a similar material to swimsuits and will dry quickly and still have complete support for the run (I was a 34DD last triathlon...I know support! - these are my standard running bras, but they are great for tri's) - if you need real support I suggest getting your real band size (professionally measured) and one cup size smaller.

WindyCityChick
01-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi Ladies, haven't posted for a few days. but I promise, I have been running! Put in 5.65 miles today, for a total of 16.45 for the month so far.

Ennay and Genesis, I am so impressed with the wonder-woman triathelete feats! I just got up the nerve to sign up for my first 5k, I can't imagine a triathalon.

Genesis
01-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks ennay! That's very helpful.

WindyCity - congrats on signing up for your first 5k! That's awesome! If you put your mind to it, you can do a triathlon, too! In 2005 I ran my first 5k, then my next race was a 15k, and then the next one after that was a 60 mile walk, and now I'm doing a triathlon. Set lofty goals for yourself and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish!

Elizabeth04
01-06-2007, 01:47 AM
I hope it's not too late to join, I know I am getting kind of a late start, but this is great, I am so in!

Goal (walk/run)- 30 miles in January (it's nothing compared to most of you, but I know if I set it higher I won't actually do it)

ennay
01-06-2007, 10:29 AM
welcome elizabeth...no goal too small!

10K tomorrow!

Is that really me
01-06-2007, 05:03 PM
1.5 mile dog walk but I was cleaning the bathrooms all morning. This is the first I've sat down today!

Jo

Elizabeth04
01-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks Ennay. Good luck on that 10k, that's awesome! And by the way, your baby is precious, what BEAUTIFUL hair. :)

Michele L
01-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I'll hit 20 miles so far this month by the time I do today's workout!

Keep walking!

Commit2Urself
01-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey I'm Alex, I'm new to the board and love to run - just wish I had more time. Anyway - I figured I would make myself accountable for my running so far this month and hopefully get some motivation to surpass it!

So far I'm only at 13 miles due to a lousy work schedule and swedding...

ennay
01-07-2007, 04:30 PM
A bit over 7 today with running to the race and waming up

Total for week 20.0
+100 min cycling & 40 min weights

hzrdus7
01-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi! It's been awhile since I visited this website, but I would very much like to participate in your group. I have been trying to incorporate more running/walking into my schedule because it seems to be the fastest way to burn calories and I have a treadmill so I don't necessarily have to go to the gym to do it. Anyway, my goal is to do one exercise video a day for about 5 days a week and I would like to jog/walk at least a mile a day in conjunction with that. So far I've accumulated about 5 miles. I am setting my goal for the month at 30 like Elizabeth04 so I don't discourage myself. Maybe I can up it next month!! ;)

Is that really me
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Got another 3 miles in today. I'm no where near where a lot of you are (5Ks, triathalons -- holy :moo: !!) but hey, I gotta start somewhere! I also started the C25K today so we'll see how it goes.

Jo

FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!!

:angel:

Michele L
01-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I did 1.1 miles on the treadmill last night and 3 WATP miles with 3 pound weights this morning!

ArtsyGirl
01-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Got in a measly 3 miles over the weekend. The weather has been to rainy to get out. Now its turning to snow so I should be on track for the rest of the week

Goal - 80
Done - 11.5 (R/W 3/8.5)
Left - 68.5

Commit2Urself
01-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Uh - I'm tired this morning. It's quite annoying. I got to the gym as it was opening at 5am and just couldn't run more than 2.5 miles. I ran a longer run yesterday (6 miles) so today was supposed to be a easy run anyway. I just feel disappointed in myself for not running more, expecially because I'm so busy this week that I won't be able to go out and run two of the days.... Oh well...

ArtsyGirl
01-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Commit-We all have days like that. Look at the good side. You got yourself up and out there and you DID run 2.5 miles. I'd say that's alot more than the general population! Congrats on getting it in.

I ended up walking my entire morning. I wanted to run, but I'm having some health questions and want to check with a dr. before I do any impact exercise just to be on the safe side. Anyways, I did a chilly 4 miles.

Goal - 80
Done - 15.5 (3/12.5)
Left - 64.5

Is that really me
01-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Just got done 3.0 miles in 48:26 minutes on the treadmill. This does not include a 5 min. warmup (I reset the buttons). I don't know about anyone else, but I'm never really warmed up until about 15 minutes after I start but I sure don't have the luxury or time to warm up that long and then try to walk for over 45 minutes! So my goal will be to get those 3 miles done in 45 minutes. It'll probably take me forever to get to that point! Planning on taking the dog out later for a 1.5 mile walk. I'm sore from the Total Gym stuff I did yesterday (I took it pretty easy) but it's not too bad. Just very aware of my muscles in parts of my upper body.

Eating is going ok. I'm using Fitday to track everything. I like it because all I have to do is put in the food and it does the math for me. Plus, I like the graphs it gives for protein, fat and carbs. I think it gives way too many calories burned for it's "lifestyle" category. I assume I burn 2,000 per day plus whatever I exercise. I then subtract my calorie intake to see approx. how much I've burned that day. I'm sticking to around 1500 calories per day. Hoping that's low enough cause sometimes even at that amount I get really hungry. I have found that a 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% combo seems to keep me satisified the longest. Not eating at night is still such a challenge for me but I've been very good about it. If I do eat something, I plan it and limit the amount of what I eat. Always aiming for that 3,500 deficit just to drop a lb.! :dizzy: If that scale doesn't budge on Friday, I'll just scream!!!

Hope everyone is doing ok. Have a good day all!!

Jo

MachGirlie
01-09-2007, 03:18 PM
When was your baby born? mine was born 10/3

I still have 8 to pre baby (not complaining, last time it took over a year) and probably 20 more after that

He was born October 6th :)

I'm up to 3 miles this week so far. Only 44 more to go.

ArtsyGirl
01-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Walked a snowy, slippery 4 this morning.

Goal - 80
Done - 19.5 (3/16.5)
Left - 60.5

Is that really me
01-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Another 3 miles on the treadmill. W1D2 of the C25K challenge. Just keep moving!

Jo

ennay
01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
i cannot run on a treadmill! I wimped on running early this morning because they were calling for freezing rain. So I went to the gym to do 50 min..well 4 miles..well 40 min...well 3 miles...well 30 min..just make it 30 freakin minutes..including warm& cool.... crap 2.85 miles

i'm pathetic

ArtsyGirl
01-10-2007, 06:12 PM
ennay-NOT pathetic. I hate treadmill workouts and dont think I'll ever make it on one again for more than 20 minutes. The last time I did 58 min., and it was pure torture. Its so much nicer outside where there are things to watch and study.

ennay
01-10-2007, 07:14 PM
its good for me to try every once in a while, saves me from buying one.

I used to be able to do 30-45 minutes ...our gym is HOT though, its primarily a body builder haven, so they keep it kind of warm for cardio.

Genesis
01-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Me + The Flu = No Miles. Tomorrow morning I'm planning to ease back into my running and walking. However, I am 4 pounds lighter!

ennay
01-11-2007, 02:19 PM
5.25 today, was only planning ~ 4 but on the way home I ran in to 2 ladies I have been coaching as they start a running program and I ran/walked with them for 1.5 miles

Genesis
01-12-2007, 12:01 AM
January Goal = 80 miles
Miles Completed = 16 (run/walk = 13/3)
Miles to Go = 64

Today was my first post-flu workout. I jogged for 4 miles and it felt pretty good. No intense running, but no walking either (except for the cool down). I'm seriously behind in my miles for the month but I don't feel bad about it. I couldn't help getting sick! I hope to be near 30 miles by the end of the weekend, so there's still hope that I'll make my goal for January!

Michele L
01-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Good morning all!

January Goal: 70 miles
Miles completed: 33.5
Miles remaining: 36.5

I'm almost halfway to my goal and it's not (quite) the middle of the month! I just didn't feel like working out this morning and I have a lot of things to get done both at home and school. It's the end of the term and things are being neglected at home, so I did a load of laundry and tidied up before I came to my computer for a bit. Then I'll go into work early so I can tackle the job of getting grades done and things ready for the new kids that start on Monday!

I'll do my workout this afternoon or evening, though--I WILL NOT BREAK MY STREAK! 151 days and counting.......

ennay
01-12-2007, 09:47 AM
holy crap its cold out this morning, I hope I have gear for this. Mostly hope its not too icy

killmissamerica0
01-12-2007, 10:34 AM
I've never made this kind of goal before, never really thought about it, but it sounds like a good motivator! I've never been a good runner so I'm going to go with walking, and to be realistic I think I'll start with thirty minutes four times a week.... is this a good place to start?
Jo

Commit2Urself
01-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Does anybody else feel really really lazy and tired if they don't get up and run right in the morning? I HATE it. I mean I love getting up and running in the morning - it's my favorite thing to do and I always have so much energy when I do it. But if I go to the gym with somebody else (I've been getting my mother to do with me lately) and they don't want to go until 8 or 9am - I feel so tired and I can't seem to get in a 4 or 5 mile run. I'm just too tired by then. I like to run at 5 or 6 in the morning - any other time of the day and it's hard.

Anyway - got in 6.7 miles over the past couple days. If I keep going as I have been I'll hit goal on the 30th. I'm hoping to kick it up a notch over the next 2 weeks though -

ennay
01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I hate getting up, but yeah, if I dont run first thing I feel sluggish all day. I am most sleepy on my rest day.

Genesis
01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
killmissamerica0 / Jo - Your goal sounds great! Welcome!

ArtsyGirl
01-12-2007, 08:06 PM
killmissamerica0-Welcome!!! Your goal looks like a great place to start.

Some mornings its really hard to get out of bed (Specially when its super cold out and your nice and toasty under the covers!) but I also feel thrown off for the day if my workout is not "first thing".

Goal - 80
Done - 24 (6/18)
Left - 56

PhillyPrincess
01-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Hello Everyone, I would love to join I think this is such a wonderful motivator. I am going to commit to 40 miles for the month since I am joining in the middle of the month. I did 4 miles today .I do the walk away the pounds tape and loveeeee them,I just really gotten very lazy right before the holidays so I am off to a new start.

Goal 40
Done 4
left 36

Phillyprincess

killmissamerica0
01-13-2007, 07:36 PM
artsy, ennay and commit2urself, how early do you all get up to go running? i never thought about doing it in the morning either! i suppose it would be ideal, as i'm a university student, no one would be up at that time so i wouldn't feel so self conscious jogging around the lake!
do you know why it makes you feel so much better for the rest of the day?

Elizabeth04
01-14-2007, 12:13 AM
I didn't want to take up a ton of space by updating a lot but I wanted to make sure you didn't think I wasn't following through so as an update I've done five miles so far only 20 to go :dizzy:

Michele L
01-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm past the halfway point to my goal and it's not quite halfway through the month!

Miles to date: 37.66
Miles remaining: 32.34

Have a great Sunday--mine is finally supposed to be snowy! Enough that school may be effected for tomorrow!

Commit2Urself
01-14-2007, 11:28 AM
killmissamerica - I don't know about anybody else but I like to get up when the gym first opens and go. Typically I am there about 7-8am (M, W, F - because I have to wait for my mother to get out of bed) at 5am (T, TH - when I go by myself) and the weekends vary with my work schedule (I work midnights).

Anyway - today I did a little over 3 miles. I feel great and am already looking forward to my run tomorrow....

ennay
01-14-2007, 11:57 PM
artsy, ennay and commit2urself, how early do you all get up to go running? i never thought about doing it in the morning either! i suppose it would be ideal, as i'm a university student, no one would be up at that time so i wouldn't feel so self conscious jogging around the lake!
do you know why it makes you feel so much better for the rest of the day?
I have to either pump or feed my son most mornings before I can go. I usually get up at 5:30 and aim to be out the door at 6. I have to be home by ~ 7 if I want to eat and shower before taking dd to school. In the summer when dh rides to work he leaves at 7 so I have to go earlier.

I am going to be lengthening out my runs coming up shortly so I will have to push my time earlier a bit. I just hope it starts to get lighter soon. I'm probably going to need as much as 1:40 by late march so leave about 5:15. ick

I think you feel better because, exercise is engergizing and you just WAKE UP. You get the great endorphins going early and there is something pretty satisfying knowing you have ALREADY done your workout and most people are still sleeping. And...well not to get TMI, but running helps with that morning constitutional so you feel lighter and less bloaty.

Oh, running - 22.2 miles this week, 42.2 for the month

ArtsyGirl
01-15-2007, 11:31 AM
I get up btwn 5 and 5:30. I meet my neighbor at 6 so I cant be running late. Run days take me longer cuz I need to get my brace on, my contacts in, and my music ready. For walking sometimes I just roll out of bed and go in my jammies. (Its dark and early so I'm not to self concious about this)

PhillyPrincess
01-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Hello Ladies

Happy MLK day. I did not walk yesterday at all I was so tired, but today I did get up and I walked for 2 hrs (8 miles):woops: I will get ready to do my 10 minute weight lifting. :lifter: Ok everyone keep up the great work :smug:

40 miles for january:D

36 miles
completed 8 miles today
28 miles left :carrot:

Question Ladies I not sure how you all are posting your reported miles completed if I am doing it wrong please let me know thanks:)

Philly Princess

Commit2Urself
01-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Ok so this might sound a bit odd - but does anybody go running more than once in a single day? I always get up and go running in the morning - just a habit - and a great start to my day. Well today I had such a horrible day, that by 3pm I was so so so so upset that I had to do something. In this case, my thing is running now (which used to be eating - so yeah for me for not going to the fridge!!). Is it bad to run twice in one day, anybody else done this?

Anyway - got in another 5.5 miles (between the two runs) today. Feeling great too!!

ennay
01-16-2007, 02:12 AM
commit- thats actually a really popular training technique. All of the benefits of running 5.5 miles without as much risk of injury as you recover and are less fatigued. Its one of the recommended weight loss techniques in runners world too because its easier on your body to burn like that. Plus you get double the afterburn

And then of course there is Hood-to-Coast, my all time FAVORITE race where 12 idiot pile in 2 vans and relay 200 miles (each member runs 3 times) in ~ 32 hours. Run 5.5 miles, ride in a van for 9-10 hours..do it again....and yet one more time with no sleep.

Back to the am workout thing..I meet a friend at a little after 6 too. We live about 1 mile apart. We both leave at 6 and run towards eachother. That gives each of us about a 10 minute window to work with.

ArtsyGirl
01-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Slippery out this morning so again walked instead of ran. Someday I'll be able to get back on track with running. At least I'm still out there doing something.

ennay-isn't it nice to have a workout partner waiting for you so you don't just rollover and go back to sleep? I know she's the only reason I've done a few morning workouts when it would've been so easy to hit the snooze button.

commits-I usually only run once a day, and usually dont run 2 days in a row. I've had an ankle surgery, and will probably have to have another one on the other ankle so I'm trying to preserve the ligaments and delay a second surgery.
Goal - 80
Done - 28 (6/22)
Left - 52

ennay
01-16-2007, 12:05 PM
It is nice to have that workout buddy. I admit I like it better now that we just meet "on the run" because there is no standing around getting cold waiting. And if someone has to bail (usually me with that newborn) the other person doesnt waste time

No workout here today...today would be my gym day but there is a couple inches of ice covered with snow out there. Maybe if it melts I can go tonight (they only have childcare 9-11 and 5-7)

WindyCityChick
01-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi everyone, I've been delinquent in posting (and a bit, in running too), but just thought I'd post my total to date - I'm up to 38 miles running for the month so far. But, I'm off on vacation starting Thursday, so I don't know how the totals will look on 1/31. Oh well, will be doing my best. Hope you are all getting out there and exercising!

ArtsyGirl
01-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Goal - 80
Done - 32 (6/26)
Left - 48

There is no way I'll reach my goal this month. There have been to many rainy days. Oh well, we'll see what I can get done.

ennay
01-17-2007, 12:56 PM
rain wont stop me. in Oregon have to love it, but glare ice is another story..sigh

ArtsyGirl
01-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm a wimp. If its warm and raining I still go (as long as its not full fledged storm weather). BUT, if its COLD and rainy, I don't make myself get out there. I still do exercise, my routine just gets varied from a typical day which is not all that bad.

ArtsyGirl
01-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Goal - 80
Done - 36.5 (9/27.5)
Left - 43.5

Commit2Urself
01-20-2007, 04:50 AM
I'm coming to the realization that I don't think I'm going to hit my goal for this month. I was in class a couple of days ago and a girl tripped on the guy next to me and the tiny heel of her shoe came right down on my foot. I have a nice size bruise and it hurts pretty bad. The first few days I could barely walk. I've been icing it and soaking in hot epsom salt water - which helps but the pain always seems to come back. I'm not sure how long it will take before I can run again. It's been 4 days so far and it's definately taking it's toll.... it's depressing....

ArtsyGirl
01-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Goal - 80
Done - 40.5 (9/27.5)
Left - 39.5

Commit-I hope your foot starts to feel much better. Dont worry about not getting your goal. I wont make mine this month and I dont have an injury as an excuse. There's always next month and another goal.

Michele L
01-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Goal: 70 miles
Completed: 57.19
Remaining: 12.81

I WILL MAKE MY GOAL THIS WEEK! When I started, I thought 70 miles was pushing it. I hadn't had over 60 since October. But I've really forced myself to do at least 3 miles 6 days a week and it's working! It's so exciting to see where I might actually END the month!!

Take care!

jules1216
01-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Will there be a February challenge since January is almost over?

ArtsyGirl
01-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Jules-Welcome. We usually have a thread going. I think we missed December, but other than that we've been consistent. You can start posting your miles now too, and then you'll be accustomed to it for a Feb. goal.

ArtsyGirl
01-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Goal - 80
Done - 44.5 (9/35.5)
Left - 35.5

Sure was beautiful out this morning with a fresh layer of snow and temps not to cold.

Genesis
01-22-2007, 10:19 AM
January Goal = 80 miles
Miles Completed = 45 (run/walk = 25/20)
Miles to Go = 35

Just got back from a week long busines trip. I managed to get some runs in on the hotel treadmill. Now that I'm back in town and healthy, I'm hoping the end the month strong. I also start swim lessons tomorrow.

January's nearing an end...keep it up ladies!

Michele L
01-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Miles completed: 64.15
Miles remaining: 5.85

I am going to shatter my goal! I think I'll go for at least 80; maybe even 85!

ArtsyGirl
01-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Goal - 80
Done - 48.5 (9/39.5)
Left - 31.5

Michele-great job blowing your goal away!!! Keep it up.

Michele L
01-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks, Brandy! It feels good to be so motivated!

This morning I did the new WATP Walk Slim System 3 fast miles! All I can say is WOW!!! It's fast, it's fun and it's sweaty, but I LOVE it!!!

Miles to date: 67.15
Miles remaining: 2.85

Have a great Tuesday!

Genesis
01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
January Goal = 80 miles
Miles Completed = 50 (run/walk = 30/20)
Miles to Go = 30

5 mile run today. I don't know if I'm going to make goal for the month, but I'll keep plugging away at it!

ArtsyGirl
01-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Goal - 80
Done - 53 (12/41)
Left - 27

Arghhh!!! My walking partner is cancelling the next 2 days. Maybe I'll get out there on my own, but this is when I usually just do an indoor workout instead. I surely wont make goal if I skip those days.

Commit2Urself
01-24-2007, 11:22 AM
K - so I'm back on track now. My foot feels better, though still a little sore when I first wake up in the morning. I know the only way it will feel better is to use it (because it's just a bruise and nothing structurally wrong), so I've ran the past couple days. I've got 18 miles to go to hit goal. Not too bad for having to take 4 days off. I still have another week left anyway - I can still do it!!

ennay
01-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Wow, I havent posted in ages. Last week was awful, only ran 2 days, total of 9.0 miles

Off to a better start this week although the mileage is low, ran Monday (4.25) and speedwork today (3.0) and hit the gym yesterday for Xtraining.

Michele L
01-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I made my goal this morning, so I raised it!:D

Revised January Goal: 80 miles
Miles completed: 70.25
Miles remaining: 9.75

Genesis
01-25-2007, 07:43 PM
January Goal = 80 miles
Miles Completed = 55 (run/walk = 35/20)
Miles to Go = 25

Another 5 mile run today. Dare I say running is finally getting a bit easier??? I thought I'd never say that!

Michele L
01-26-2007, 12:07 PM
OK, I raised my goal again!

January Goal: 85 miles (started at 70!)
Miles completed: 76.25
Miles remaining: 8.75

Have a great weekend!

ArtsyGirl
01-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Goal - 80
Done - 57 (12/4)
Left - 23

Michele-Look at you go! Great job.

Michele L
01-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Revised January Goal: 85 miles
Miles completed: 80.25 miles
Miles remaining: 4.75 miles

Genesis
01-28-2007, 10:51 PM
January Goal = 80 miles
Miles Completed = 63 (run/walk = 38/25)
Miles to Go = 17

ennay
01-29-2007, 01:09 AM
10.1 today for 22.6 running miles this week + 95 min biking

73.8 running miles this month

ArtsyGirl
01-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Goal - 80
Done - 61 (12/49)
Left - 19

We finally got some snow. It was beautiful this morning.

Commit2Urself
01-29-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm 59.5 miles after a short run yesterday. I guess it's not too bad after recovering from a foot injurt and a pretty bad car accident - I'm still sore but definately not giving up on my goal - only 10.5 more miles with 3 days left to complete it. Should be no problem.

ArtsyGirl
01-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Wait a minute...Commit-I dont remember hearing about your accident. I sure hope your doing ok. That can be pretty painful emotionally as well as physically. Hope you're doing well. You'll be in my thoughts.

Commit2Urself
01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Thank You for your concern. It's been a rough week for me. It happened on Thursday...it was really icy. I was on the freeway and somebody hit me from behind, I spun out and got t-boned. It was pretty bad. I walked out okay though - well I thought. I woke up this morning with bad whiplash. So with that, I don't think I'm going to hit my goal this month. I was pretty sore this morning. It's only 5 miles anyway - I'll make it up next month when I feel better.

ArtsyGirl
01-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Goal - 80
Done - 65 (12/53)
Left - 15

Commit-Wow! It sounds like you were very lucky. I dont know much about whiplash, but hope it doesn't impair you for to long. Where in MI do you live? I'm down south of Detroit, closer to Toledo, OH.

Genesis
01-30-2007, 07:04 PM
January Goal = 80 miles
Miles Completed = 69 (run/walk = 44/25)
Miles to Go = 11

Michele L
01-30-2007, 08:58 PM
January Revised Goal: 95 miles
Miles completed: 93.5
Miles remaining: 1.5

Commit2Urself
01-30-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm just west of Detroit - Livonia. I've been taking a muscle relaxer and my neck/back do feel better. I'm going to go to the gym in the morning providing it's not worse. It if is, I might just go and do the bike and a leg workout. Either way I can't lift tomorrow - so depressing. We'll see...

ArtsyGirl
01-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Goal - 80
Done - 69 (12/57)
Left - 11

Well I missed my goal but I'm not going to fret over it. I'll be deciding my Feb. goal today. Its hard to guess what the weather will do and I'll keep aiming high and doing what I can.

commit-wow, you're not to far away. My mom works in Livonia. Be careful driving while taking muscle relaxers. That can be a bad combo.

Michele-Congratulations on a superb month of walking!!!!

ennay
01-31-2007, 01:30 PM
January Total running 82.4