Exercise! - Cool Runners - January

View Full Version : Cool Runners - January

Ilene
01-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Today I started the new year with a 6k run, it felt great...

Anyone else run to start the new year off right?

ennay
01-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I did! and needed it too. I felt awful the whole run, but managed one of my faster runs since ds. 4.25 miles

Ilene
01-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Yay Anne :cp:

YP1
01-02-2007, 06:12 AM
I finally managed to go round my course here twice and managed just under 6 miles. It was getting HOT on the second lap though, so I decided not to go for a 9 miler. Maybe another day! It would have helped if I'd remembered to put sun cream on, but it's not something I've had to do before a run for so long it slipped my mind and I thought I'd better go in to get some.

Here's to a good year of running for everyone!

MissDee
01-02-2007, 06:28 AM
I got a Garmin Forerunner for Christmas! I ran my neighborhood three miler today, which turns out to be a 2.85 miler ;) I looked at my run on the map, and I'm clearly turning short on the cul-de-sacs :)

I was a slug over the holiday. Ate too much and worked out too little. I've been looking forward to getting back to normal.

Dee

ennay
01-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Dee - remember also the Garmin can be off by a tenth or so. Lol when I ran TO the gym it was 3.08 and when I ran home it was 3.17...

I find my garmin will fluctuate by about 3% on repeated routes.

And did I mention the time I ran to a playgroup and left the garmin on the jogging stroller outside? Over 90 minutes it had "gone" 0.5 miles..lol

but I love the thing..addicted

AnAbsoluteDiva
01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
It is absolutely gorgeous in New England today... full sun, mid 50's. I start a new running program today and was going to work on the treadmill, but I'm moving it outdoors. So after my weight work, I'll be hitting the track for my FIRST run of the new year. Wish me luck. I'll post the results later.

Sweater Girl
01-02-2007, 03:00 PM
On New Year's Eve I did a fun run called the "Resolution Run". I only did the 5K, but it was nice to be out...

I was asleep by 10:30.... Neither me nor my DF are big New Year's eve party people.

Cheers!

Ali

AnneWonders
01-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I did an easy 2 miles yesterday, then proceeded to get really sick with chills, sweats, sore throat. Didn't go to work today. I'm supposed to run 6 on Sunday, and my dad had this same thing and it was a 48 hr bug, so hopefully I'll be well in time.

Ali, how is that baby? Does she run with you yet?

Anne

AnneWonders
01-05-2007, 02:26 PM
I have strep throat so the weekend runs are off. Hoping to be well in time for my half.

Anne

ennay
01-05-2007, 03:31 PM
ohhh feel better Anne

Have a 10K this weekend,,,the forecast is cold windy and rainy

So if a damp cold feels colder than a dry cold and
a damp heat feels hotter than a dry heat..

when does it flip? at what temp does damp feel equal to dry?

AnneWonders
01-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Anne. The antibiotics and anti-inflamatories are already making the throat feel better, and with luck the fatigue will pass soon.

I'm guessing the answer to your riddle is 68F. But damp always feels yucky to me. One of the great things about living in Tucson!

Anne

ennay
01-05-2007, 05:02 PM
eeeeeeewwww Sun hissssssss

lol, you called me Anne and I didnt know who you meant. I thought you were talking to yourself...wow THAT is one heck of a illness delerium.

So what's MY excuse...

AnneWonders
01-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Who are you again??

:rofl:

ennay
01-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey I have a running buddy in Tucson (I was supposed to do the Tucson marathon in 2005 but I sprained my ankle) so there is a chance that someday I'll get down there for a race or something. I will do Tucson someday. I might do the half at Phoenix this year if I can convince dh, but you'll probably be preggo by then.

AnneWonders
01-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Which half in Phoenix are you planning? I'm doing PFChang's RnR next weekend (hopefully) and I know about Valley of the Sun in March and Lost Dutchman in February.

The Penguin is also doing a relatively new half here in Tucson in early March. DH is probably doing that as a warmup for Boston. If I'm not preggers by then, I'll probably run it too, since my running buddies are doing it.

Anne

ennay
01-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Oh wait, no, I wasnt planning on Phoenix, I am trying to do a race a month this year and cant find a good December race so I was thinking of doing a 1/2 at the Tucson marathon.

And I am just going to say this up front...I misspell Tucson ALL the time, please forgive me.

Boston? wow ..I will have to be something like 70 and not slow down to ever BQ.

YP1
01-07-2007, 04:01 AM
I'm back home now, and trying to decide whether to run in the cross country for my club. Apparently they're quite desperate for runners for this one (they need a minimum number for a team). I'm here, and I can get there, the problem is I got a little drunk last night not expecting to be home in time, and then sat on a plane all night getting about an hour and a half of sleep. I suspect I'd get about half way round and then want to throw up or collapse...

AnneWonders
01-07-2007, 08:12 AM
I suspect I'd get about half way round and then want to throw up or collapse...

Yeesh. My vote would be no. Probably.

I'm starting to feel better, but exercise is still out until tomorrow. I'll probably have one more 3-4 miler before the half on Sunday. It seems sort of surreal now.

Anne

ennay
01-07-2007, 11:08 AM
ack I think I ate too much this morning for my 10K in 80 minutes, pumping just throws me off. It is pouring and WINDY too. crap I have to leave in 15 minutes and I am still pumping.

ennay
01-07-2007, 11:09 AM
yp - I had one of my best runs newyears day...I felt like heck the whole time, but you never know.

Ilene
01-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I had a great 7.7k run this morning took me 58 mins, I'm such a slow poke, but I loved this run...

YP1
01-07-2007, 02:25 PM
I didn't run in the end, I'm quite glad I didn't because i've been quite busy all day sorting stuff out after my holiday, washing, preparing food for the next week, getting my stuff ready for work, and I'm glad I had the full day to do it rather than going out to run when I didn't feel up to it. The one thing I've not actually done yet is sleep, although I suspect it could be an early night!

ennay
01-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Race report:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101439

YP1
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
5.75 miles with running club tonight. The cold took some getting used to, but it's good to have a group to run with again.

ennay
01-08-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm really pumped, I was 5th in my age group...granted it was a smalllll race. But even cooler was that only 30 seconds faster and I would have PLACED. I've never come NEAR placing before. Note to self: if you want a medal race in a small race where there is also a longer distance to draw off the fast people and if possible do it in crappy weather.

Sheila53
01-08-2007, 08:32 PM
That's wonderful, ennay!!

The first 5K here is in May, and it's fairly small. I looked at last year's times, and got excited because I could be third in my age group if I run at the same pace I ran in September, assuming everything else is equal. Okay, I know you can't assume that, but I'm going to sign up for that race because, sadly, I really want a medal!

ennay
01-09-2007, 12:16 AM
which race sheila?

Sweater Girl
01-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I ran on Sunday and will run tonight! The weather has been great for running too which is an added bonus!!

Anne: I haven't put my jogging stroller together yet, but may attempt that this weekend! There is hardly any snow so I really have no excuse not to use it especially since Genevieve has had great head control since she was 2 months old. The baby is great, she's been napping for 2 hours now (3rd day in a row)... I wonder if this is her month growth spurt, or a welcome new addition to her schedule... She has her first swim class this afternoon!

Cheers!

Ali

Sheila53
01-09-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm only telling you because you're much younger than I am so there would be no competition. :D It's the 5K to benefit a domestic violence group in Corvallis (CARDV). One of these days I'm going to have to go to Portland or Eugene to race just for fun. Hhmm, maybe not Eugene, the running capital of the world. I'm betting there are 80 year old women faster than I am who race in Eugene.

ennay
01-09-2007, 03:40 PM
sheila - not sure wher you are, but there are a lot of great races at champoeg (newburg) maybe some day we can have a FE at one :)

Every race I do I look to se how old I would have to be to win AG...its usually 60 or so

Ilene
01-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Every race I do I look to se how old I would have to be to win AG...its usually 60 or soME TOO!! But I'm getting closer and closer now, I'm 50 :faint:... I guess I really shouldn't brag about that!!

I had a superb run tonight, I met up with my running pals, I hadn't run with them since October... I did see them at a party in December and had promised them to get back into it in January so I went tonight... I did great time... we did 5.08k, my pace was 11:04m/m, my avg speed was 5:42mph and I burned 332 calories to boot :D... so it's all good.... Plus I made it to the gym this morning :dance: AND my food has been good for the last 2 days, a first in a very very long time...

YP1
01-10-2007, 03:43 AM
My best was when I finished 6th in a 5k (I'm open age). There were only 24 women, but I was still pretty pleased. I'll have to see if they're running that one again this ear.

Tonight is meant to be about 12.5 miles with running club, but it might depend on whether I manage to get hold of my new running shoes before I go out because the old ones have completely lost their cushioning and I don't fancy running that far on them.

AnneWonders
01-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Three easy miles this morning. My first run after strep. I'm supposed to run 1.5 miles on Friday, just to loosen up, and then the half on Sunday. I think I'll do OK; I seem to be recovering well.

Anne

YP1
01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
I did the long run in the end, the shoes just about held out but I'm looking forward to getting my new ones at the weekend. I felt like I was going at a really comfortable pace, but still managed to get round in a pretty respectable time (although I stopped my watch at the stops when I was waiting for other people in the group). It was about 2:20 in total, and 2:00 of actual running.

I got my magazine through for my next marathon too, I guess I'm really entered now!

LisaMarie71
01-11-2007, 10:12 AM
I usually post in the "Advice on Becoming a Runner" thread, but no one seems to be posting there anymore. I've always been too intimidated to join this thread because I'm such a beginner, but I'm slowly starting to consider myself a runner. It's my goal, anyway, even if all I'm really doing is a light jog. :lol:

I may sign up for a 10k training team for this big 10k in March (which of course I'll mostly walk), and I can't decide if I should join as Novice or Walker. I don't want to just walk the whole time, because I know I'm capable of more (I'm running for 35 minutes at a time now, about three times a week, but I'm not sure of my distance. I think I'm poking along at between a 12 and 13-minute mile). I'm kind of afraid to do the group runs with the Novice group because I'm afraid of being too far behind, but I don't want to join the Walker group because I think that's too slow. Would you guys suggest just sucking it up and joining the Novice group and hoping for the best? I'm probably going to attend the Orientation meeting tonight and ask them if I can still do it if I'm slow!!

ennay
01-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Most likely in group runs they will all follow the same trail so if you start with novice and have to fall back the walkers will be behind you. 12-13 min/mile is a pretty common pace --you might not be as slow as you think!

LisaMarie71
01-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Well, I went to the meeting and I haven't signed up yet but I'm going to. The coach told me I should sign up with the Novice group, so that's what I'll do. My poor husband was there with me and they recruited him to be a volunteer coach. In fact, they announced that he was going to be a coach even though they hadn't actually talked to him about it!! He'll enjoy it, though, and he has lots of knowledge about running since he coaches at our school, so everyone will benefit. I think this will be hard but fun for me!

I jogged on the treadmill for the first time tonight. I've always been afraid I'd be shaky on it, but it was fine. I ran at a 12-minute pace at first but it felt too difficult, so I did 12.5 and that felt comfortable. So I guess that's my pace. I definitely need to improve, but I don't want to rush it.

AnneWonders
01-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Lisa, I've been running for several years, with some a long layoff when I was pregnant, but there are days I don't make more than 12 minute miles. In fact these days I'm ecstaticly happy if I can push it to 11s. Good luck with your 10K--it sounds like fun.

I'm scheduled for my big 1.5 miler tomorrow, the last before my half, just enough to loosen up the legs. It is supposed to rain here, so I'm attempting not to wuss out.

Anne

ennay
01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
and I know LOTS of people who are slower on the tread than "real life" Yeah most days 11:30 is my pace

bwahahahaha Anne - rain wuss! you can laugh back at me in June when I am whining about it being 78.

ennay
01-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Have a great half Anne! I'm assuming its the Phoenix one? My friend is going up for that too.

Just to make you feel better about the rain, it was 24 degrees here this morning. I know to the Canada gals that will seem like nothing, but I know those Arizona runners and they bundle up in the 40's.

How did I survive living in Minnesota and Texas?

YP1
01-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Good luck and have fun Anne!

I managed 30 minutes of vague speed on the treadmill this morning. I've not been on it for nearly a month so I took it a bit slower than I have been doing, but I still got a decent workout done.

Ilene
01-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I ran in 21f this morning it was awesome, I LOVE this cooler weather... I did 6.13k/3.81m...

erinket
01-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I ran 4 miles today in 5 degrees F weather. I like winter running much better than summer! I have been averaging 10 minute miles, glad to hear that I am not as pokey as I thought I was.

YP1
01-14-2007, 07:14 AM
12.5 miles, it's lovely running weather here, cool but clear blue skies and bright sunshine. I've never seen so many runners out there, it must be the combination of good weather, new years resolutions and the start of the London training season. it felt really good so I'm a lot more confident for next weeks half now. I wasn't sure how I'd go with being on holiday just before, but my two long runs this week have given me a bit more confidence and now I can have a bit of a rest next week in the build up to the race.

ennay
01-14-2007, 11:19 AM
I hate heat, but I'm not sure about this weather, its not the cold, its the footing..worried about ice...its 20 here and not expected to warm up much today

AnneWonders
01-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, the good news is that I finished. There was a lot of bad news. The weather was literally freezing at the start, and the start was delayed. Not good news for this Arizona girl. I couldn't feel my feet until mile three. I was on target pace until about mile 7.5. Then I started to bonk, and was pushing through it until the gel I took had a chance to kick in. At 8.5 miles though, something in my ankle just gave, I screamed and scared everyone around me. I found I could still walk, just not run. I hobbled to the next medical stop and they taped up my ankle pretty hard. That took about 6 minutes, and I got another couple of miles of running after that. Then it was swelling and hurt so much that I walked in the last 2 miles. So I finished in just a touch over 3 hrs. It was a pretty disappointing race, because I was feeling so strong from my training.

Sigh.

Anne

ennay
01-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh anne, so sorry. I hope your ankle heals quickly.

LisaMarie71
01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Anne, you poor thing! I broke my ankle a few years ago and every time I hear about ankle injuries I really really cringe!! You finished anyway, though, which is very impressive. You hardcore runners are so inspiring!!

I did a 35 minute jog this morning and I swear it seems like I'm losing the progress I've made. I had to take a walk break after 14 minutes, and then another after 4 more minutes. Then I finished off with 13 minutes of really slow jogging. I think maybe my first 14 minutes I was going at too fast a pace for me and it just wore me out. I guess I'm trying to get faster when I should just worry about endurance. I don't know, but I'm really worried about this 10k training team I signed up for. I don't know if I'll be able to keep up!! I'm still going to do it, but I'm a little freaked out after the way I struggled this morning.

Ilene
01-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh, Anne, I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle and your disappointment in your race :hug: Hope you feel better very soon...

YP1
01-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Anne, that's such bad luck, I hope you're on the mend soon.

LisaMarie - I broke my ankle too a few years ago, it really isn't nice is it...

Tonight I managed 7.2 miles with running club at 9 minute mile pace. That included possibly the nastiest uphill stretch I've done with them right at the start, which was a really horrible horrible stretch, but I made it up OK, and the rest of the run didn't seem nearly so bad after that. Considering I didn't want to run at all tonight, I was really pleased. I'm feeling quite confident of a good run in my half at the moment, fingers crossed it all comes together on Sunday.

Ilene
01-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Helen -- 9 minute mile pace:eek: that's totally awesome!!! I doubt I will ever get that fast :(

NavyWifeDee
01-16-2007, 11:45 AM
You guys all continue to inspire me. I've started running! Actually not too bad.. amazingly enough, I am no longer having pain from the heel spurs since I started running. I can run a half mile now without stopping at all, and am planning on working up to a mile this week. Hopefully, I will be able to run most of my 5k in Feb. it's on the 17th. Honestly though, I need some advice. Do you think I will be able to run 7 miles by April 21? There is a 7mile bridge run that I really would love to do here in the keys, but not sure If I'll be up to that by then.... Any advice would be loved.

Thanks, and wow everyone!
The other Dee

ennay
01-16-2007, 12:07 PM
dee - that would be a pretty fast ramp..is it a fun event? If so then the option of run/walking combo is there. Check to see if there is a cut off and if you can find last years results you can see if there are walkers.

What do you do right now, you say you can run 1/2 mile, is that part of a 2-3 mile walk? The best way to build running endurance is to slowly increase your total time out there even if you walk some of it.

NavyWifeDee
01-16-2007, 01:18 PM
It is a pretty fast ramp, but I think you can walk too.. I will definitely check.. It's not likely that I will get in, the entrance is done by a type of lottery. I just want to do it because it may be the last year it is run. Right now I usually walk 2+ miles... sometimes 4 or more.. I am working up to running more each time.

LisaMarie71
01-16-2007, 07:52 PM
I did much better on the treadmill today. I kept it at the same 12:30 pace and I managed to go for 1.5 miles, then take a 2-minute walk break, then do another 1/2 mile of jogging. Taking a break from it tomorrow and doing the elliptical and a body sculpting class, then I'll run again Thursday. Getting ready for a group run on Saturday, and I'm nervous!!

YP1
01-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Just under 6 miles this evening - and really FAST!!! I ran with the fast group for the first half of the run :carrot: I almost got back down to 8:30 pace, which I'm really really pleased with. Roll on sunday!

ennay
01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Ugh. no run today, its just glare black ice here. Cant even drive to the gym. Blah blah blah

YP1
01-19-2007, 03:41 AM
35 minutes on the treadmill this morning. It's hard work but it's definitely worth it to get my speed up a bit. I did take it a bit easier today though because I'm trying to wind down a bit before my half on Sunday. Hopefully the weather will have cleared up by then, I wouldn't have fancied running outside yesterday unless the wind was behind me all the way!

AnneWonders
01-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Well, I've done absolutely nothing this week, but walk the dogs a couple times. I was supposed to swim yesterday, but it was cold and raining, and well, I just didn't want it that bad. My ankle is better, so I'll probably try to run again early next week. I did finally step away from the dessert table today, and my eating is back on track!

Anne

LisaMarie71
01-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Anne, I'm glad to hear your ankle is better!

Today I did 2 1/2 miles on the treadmill with one short walk break after the second mile. I jogged at a 12:30 pace for 2 miles and a 12:00 pace for the other half. I'm trying to slowly build in a faster pace. Of course, my husband was on the treadmill next to me absolutely FLYING.

Tomorrow is the first group run for the 10k training team I've joined. I'm nervous, because I've never run with people, but I think it will be fun. We're just doing one mile, so I think I'll be ok. Woohoo!! I'm actually becoming a runner!

ennay
01-19-2007, 09:01 PM
go lisa! I like running with a group occasionally it helps knock me out of my comfort zone.

YP1
01-20-2007, 03:56 AM
Have fun on your run Lisa!

LisaMarie71
01-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't know what I was nervous about! The group run went great, and I wasn't the slowest person at all! Lots of people took walk breaks and really slowed down, but I kept a nice pace and finished the mile with no problem. I didn't expect to have a problem with a mile since I've been doing more than that, but I was worried about keeping up. The coach said we finished in about ten or eleven minutes, but she was estimating. They gave us a schedule for the runs we should do during the week, and we have a 2-mile run next Saturday.

AnneWonders
01-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Good for you Lisa!!

YP1
01-21-2007, 10:03 AM
:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

I knew I had a good run in me! I've felt really good in training since Christmas, and thought I might manage a PB in my half today - but I didn't think I'd go quite so fast! My previous PB was 1:54:something, I was thinking I might get down to 1:52 or so, but actually managed to get round in 1:49 :faint: :carrot:. I never even considered the possibility of going under 1:50 before the race. I honestly thought I'd set off too fast when I kept on seeing mile markers go past at just over 8 minute mile pace, but I just seemed to keep going and finished with an overall pace of about 8:20 - for perspective that's a faster pace than the 10k I did in November, and I passed the 10 mile marker about 10 minutes under my 10 mile PB. Those treadmill speed sessions really do the job!

(The only problem is that having thought pre-race that I'd use this one to get back to where I was this time next year and the next one to have a bash at 1:50, it means I'm going to have to find a new target for my next half at the end of February!)

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

AnneWonders
01-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Helen, that is awesome! Congrats! I was thinking about you this morning and it is good to see some good news.

Anne

ennay
01-21-2007, 12:19 PM
:woohoo: Helen!

I have had a pathetic week this week, first we had ice and then dh has been too sick to be allowed near the baby with his lungs from the RSV. Hopefully I can get one in tomorrow.

LisaMarie71
01-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Helen, you're such an inspiration!

According to my training team schedule, I was supposed to rest today and run a mile tomorrow, but I knew it was going to snow and sleet tonight, so I went ahead and ran this morning in case tomorrow's too icky. It was a chilly 27 degrees, but it wasn't bad. I ran two miles in 22 minutes -- woohoo! I'm so addicted now!

ennay
01-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Lisa, I usually rest the day before a "long run" and run the day after, it doesnt really matter as long as you get a rest day in there somewhere. Once your group runs get longer make the next run an "easy" pace.

Ilene
01-21-2007, 11:36 PM
WOOHOO :woohoo: Helen that's great time!!

YP1
01-23-2007, 03:45 AM
Thankyou everyone, I'm still bouncing about feeling very pleased with myself :dance:

I ran about 5 miles with running club last night, my legs felt as though they'd hardly done anything (big contrast with my last half) so it was good to get out again. I'm now pondering what approach to take for my next half at the end of February. There are pacers at that one, and there will be an 8 minute mile group. I know that on Sunday I managed to keep to 8 minute miles almost spot on for roughly the first half of the route, so I'm wondering whether to give it a go and run with them to see how long I can keep it up for if I've got a group to run with. I'll give it another month though to see how I'm running by the time it comes round.

AnneWonders
01-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Helen, you are so inspirational. I think you should definitely go with the pace group if you feel like it.

Well, the bonk in my half was most likely due to pregnancy. I found out for sure today. It is still too early to tell in the real world, but it will obviously affect my running. I ran until about 10 weeks with my first pregnancy, at less intensity, until I got grounded for complications. We'll see how this one goes.

Anne

ennay
01-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Wooohooo Anne!

I was able to run for about 32 weeks this time and I couldnt my first time so you never know. Well I should say run for 26-28 weeks, after that calling it "running" was pushing it.

Ilene
01-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Wow, CONGRATS Anne!!!

Tonight I ran with the running group and it was awesome... It felt like Christmas, a light pretty snow and only about -2C, BEEEAUTIFUL!! Everyone was on a high after that run...

LisaMarie71
01-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Today I ran much faster than I'm ready for, I think. I didn't even mean to, but I ran one mile in about ten minutes and the second mile in just under eleven. When I was done, my legs were shaky and really hurting. I'm clearly not ready for that pace! It's hard to know what kind of pace you're doing, though. I guess I just have to get used to it.

YP1
01-24-2007, 03:53 AM
Congratulations Anne!

I'm probably doing about 10k with running club. I'm a bit annoyed with the official results from the half, they have me down at 1:50:12, when I know from my watch and the clock at the line that I was 1:49:something, and a guy from my running club who finished just behind me (I was determined to beat him over the last five or so miles when I spotted him ahead of me) said that he thought he'd got 1:49:40 so if the official clock was still under 1:50 when he went past why are we both showing as over?? It seems they had a problem with people swopping numbers or running without proper numbers which messed the results up, so I don't know whether to take my watch time/what I remember the clock saying as my time, or take 1:50:12 and be doubly determined to get under 1:50 officially at the end of February. It's not a huge thing as it's a PB and a good run anyway, but I like getting under these milestone numbers and being able to point at official results to prove it.

ennay
01-24-2007, 09:56 AM
I hate events that aren't chip timed. I'd go with your watch.

YP1
01-24-2007, 12:15 PM
I don't mind about the lack of chip timing, I've done some great events without chips that are a lot cheaper because of that with perfectly accurate results (and I've done and heard about too many events where there have been problems with the chips to think they're the answer to all the problems), but it's just frustrating this time round.

Never mind, I have three more halves between now and my marathon in May so there's plenty of time to get under 1:50...

YP1
01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm feeling so good about my running at the moment, I just want to bottle the feeling. I ended up doing just over 7 miles tonight. The bloke I beat on Sunday in the race is the main organiser of training nights. He always leads the middle group (guess I have no excuse to think I'm not fast enough for it now ;) ) and midway round suggests a detour for a slightly longer run. I don't often go with the group doing the longer run because I'd assumed they'd be too fast for me, but now I know that if he can do the run I certainly can I have no excuse! Anyway, today I went with them despite the fact that it was starting to try to snow, and I was actually having to slow down a bit to let the others catch up in places! I guess that's my last skiving excuse out of the window...

ennay
01-24-2007, 04:58 PM
:-) didja ever think when you started your journey that you would be a significantly above average runner? How cool is that to discover that kind of talent!

YP1
01-25-2007, 03:43 AM
I never imagined that there was a half decent runner lurking under there. I always did want to run though, so maybe my mind was trying to tell me something.

Good news of the morning, my official time for the half has been amended to 1:49:30 so I'm a happy girlie today.

AnneWonders
01-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Helen, we knew your official time was under 1:50 all along, but that is really good that you don't have to qualify it or justify it to yourself or anyone else now.

Have you given any thought to trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon? I'm not sure how old you are, but qualifying times for women start at 3:40 and go up 5 minutes every 5 years of age after 35 (e.g. a 37 year old like me would need 3:45-not holding MY breath). You half time certainly puts you in that ballpark. Not sure if that is a big deal over there, but here it is the Holy Grail of running and people talk of qualifying in hushed, reverent tones.

Anne

YP1
01-25-2007, 08:43 AM
At the moment I'm just focussing on trying to do a marathon properly - in Berlin I only managed 4:51 despite having a half time of 1:54 at the time, so I'm just focussing on trying to get that down a bit without getting too carried away. Then the next goal will to try to get a "Good for Age" time for London so I don't need to apply through the ballot - for me that's 3:45 (I'm 28), which is roughly what the predictors seem to think I could do based on my half/10k times. Then after that I'll look further afield, but I don't really have the money to spend on travelling to the US for a marathon at the moment anyway, so Boston isn't a high priority. It is something I'll look into at some point, but only once I've got to London GFA standard.

AnneWonders
01-25-2007, 09:01 AM
It took DH about 3 marathons to get it figured out properly and then he was really fast after that. I'm sure you'll do the same, and probably quicker than him because he is so hard-headed. Running Boston is an honor, but qualifying is the achievement! We are going this year--his family is from Boston and so we make a big family trip out of it.

It sounds like the GFA time for London is similar. You sound like you are really on track to make that, if not at this marathon, then the next.

Boston is one of my dreams right now. I might make it a life goal in a few years. Realistically I'd have to take off at least another 20 lbs to make it, probably more like 30, and I don't know if I've got that in me after the first 115! And give up triathlon and just focus on running. And get my behind back to the track for speedwork. Of course, I have other, more important concerns at the moment, but long term goals/dreams like that help keep me on course.

Anne

YP1
01-26-2007, 03:53 AM
Anne - that's the rough plan, to do it in a few maras time. I realised it's like losing weight. Although I got here in the end, and had the potential to get down to this weight at the start, it didn't happen overnight and it took time to get to this stage.

Before Berlin I got all excited by race time predictors saying that I'd be under 4 hours, pushed myself too hard and trained too fast at first, burnt myself out a bit and my pace started plummeting and I didn't have the energy to do my long runs properly. I still got out there and tried, but very few of them went according to plan. This time I've got that bit more experience and I'm just trying to enjoy it as much as possible without making the same mistakes. I'm not going to make any bold predictions, but I'd be more than happy with something between 4:00-4:15 or so, then a bit of a break before aiming for GFA either in Amsterdam in October, or London next April (the chances are that I'll get a club place for London next year anyway - you don't need to get the time to be able to run the race, but if you get the time you've got guaranteed entry, otherwise you have to go through a complicated series of ballots and club entry selection processes).

Anyway, this morning I did just over 4 miles of intervals on the treadmill. The plan for the weekend is to get my long run done tomorrow (14 - 15 miles) and then see how I feel and what the weather's like for cross country on Sunday.

ennay
01-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Anne - I wouldnt think you would have to give up the triathlon completely, but you wouldnt be able to focus on it. I guess I see it as I can DO triathlons, but not COMPETE (not that I am competitive anyway, I am only mediocre in swimming and running and godawful at biking)

I made the best strides in both endurance and speed the years I had a significant portion of my training in swimming and biking. But you have to give up most of the speedwork in the other events and just use them for base building cardio. (Although when I had just a small injury that was keeping me from running hard, I did my sprint work in the pool and it worked pretty well).

I really hope to BQ someday. I think my best shot is in the 40-44 age range. I still have a lot of just plain fitness improvement left in me right now, so I think I can still get faster for a few more years. Before I got pregnant I was looking at aiming for a 4:15-4:30. I dont know if I can get back there by this fall or not. But I am hoping to finally be able to string together multiple seasons of running, I havent ever been able to consistantly run for more than 9 months with out getting derailed and having to start over.

YP1
01-27-2007, 07:41 AM
It was a lovely morning for running today, cool and clear blue skies. A bit windy in places, but not too bad. I ended up doing 15.5 miles, a bit more than my target, because it felt so good, and I didn't even take any walk breaks which is a first for a run over 13 miles - every run I did in preparation for Berlin had a break at some point. I feel GOOD today!

LisaMarie71
01-27-2007, 11:42 AM
15 miles! Wow! One day I'll do runs like that......maybe!

Today was the second group run with the 10k training team -- we ran 2 miles, which should've been easy, but they took us through a rather hilly area so it was kind of tough. I didn't take any walk breaks, though, and I was pretty comfortable throughout.

Ilene
01-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Today I braved the -14C which felt like -23C and had a great 6.26k run in 47:04... I feel virtous :D...

YP1
01-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I really don't like the sound of those temperatures! I thought it was cold enough here during the week, but I suppose ti depends what you're used to.

Lisa, it's surprising how quickly you can build up. It's not quick quick, but a couple of years ago I remember celebrating the first time I ran 5k and feeling like it was a huge achievement. Which it was, of course, but I'd never have dreamed what else I'd end up doing.

ennay
01-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Lisa --great job...Helen is right. I remember how long it took me to build up to a 5K nonstop..seemed like forever, and now it is my "minimum"

It doesnt matter if I havent run in months, psychologically I know I can do 3 miles, so that is usually where I start. The brain is an amazing thing.

ennay
01-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Oh I totally forgot, yesterday was a major milestone...when I was finishing up my run yesterday morning it was light enough to see a whole block! Thats the first time I've noticed any light at all this year! what a boost.

YP1
01-28-2007, 07:58 AM
I did cross country in the end. Between 4 and 5 miles I think, although they're not officially measured so I don't know. I managed to get a scoring place for the club again, which I was pretty pleased about considering I did a 15 miler yesterday and don't have any trail shoes to run in. I did think I was mad though when I dragged myself out of bed to stand on a cold, windy exposed hillside, today was so NOT a nice day for running compared to yesterday :(

Do you ever think you're just slightly mad paying for the privilege of putting yourself through that on a cold winters morning?

YP1
01-29-2007, 04:17 PM
:carrot: :carrot: I won the club time trial tonight! :carrot: :carrot:

It's a handicap, so I wasn't necessarily fastest round, but because I took a minute off my time from last time I did it I was fast enough to catch the people in front of me, and not be caught by the people behind. I suspect I'll be set off later next time though. I was quite surprised by my speed after two fairly hard runs over the past two days. I promise I won't run tomorrow, I think my legs have earned a rest!

(It was about 2.9 miles, and I got round in 23:27)

LisaMarie71
01-29-2007, 04:52 PM
That's fantastic, Helen!! You're my running role model, you know!

I planned to run a bit yesterday, then Tues, then Thurs, but my schedule was thrown off because I got VERY sick. Horrible cold, congestion, sore throat, etc -- no workout of any kind today or yesterday. Ugh!! I'm quite worried that I won't be ready for the 3-mile group run on Saturday.

How do you guys feel about running when you're sick? Do you do it when you're just coming off a cold, or do you wait until you're completely better?

ennay
01-29-2007, 05:43 PM
lisa, it depends how sick I was. If you were REALLY sick (something that lasts more than 3-4 days, or had a high fever or severe cough), wait or you can get sick over and over and over.

general rule I have always read is if all the symptoms are above the neck--go for it as long as it doesnt wear you out, if they involve lungs, fever, excessive fatigue rest. Personally I err on the side of rest.

At this point you still have plenty of time before Saturday. If you can get out there once or twice this week for a gentle jog, go for it, but be ready to walk more or work with a slower group than normal. If you still feel like crud all week and havent been back out there, skip the group run, do a shorter one on your own and jump back in next week. Missing one group run will not derail your training nearly as much as pushing tooo hard when sick.

Great job Helen, and yes,every morning when my alarm goes off and I see the dark sky and the frosty street, I wonder why I do this "for" myself.

10.1 yesterday, 4.3 or so today.

LisaMarie71
01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Well, I took a rest the last two days because of my sickness, but today I trudged back into the gym and got on the treadmill. 3.2 miles overall, but 2 were running. I couldn't run the 2 miles straight because I was still rather weak (and I have trouble with doing that on a treadmill anyway because of the consistent pace, I suppose). I did a mile, took a short walk break, did another half mile, took a short walk break, then did the last half mile. A bit worried about Saturday's 3-mile group run, but somehow I'll manage. I always seem to!

My husband coaches the intermediate runners, so he wasn't with my pack last Saturday, but he noticed that I was one of the runners in the front of my pack. Yay! I know he's proud of me for doing this at all, but I really want him to be proud of me not just as my husband but as a fellow runner and as a running coach. I'd respect him for his dedication to running even if I weren't madly in love with him, after all!

YP1
01-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Good on you for making him proud!

I ran just over 7 miles with running club tonight. It felt much harder than normal, I think my monster effort over the weekend took it out of me more than I realised. I want to do another long one this weekend, but I haven't decided quite how far I want to go yet. I'll see how I feel and what the weather's like on Saturday.

I kind of committed to doing Amsterdam in October earlier. I haven't registered yet, but I booked some flights over there for marathon weekend. It would be a shame to be there and not do it... They accept registrations right up until the day (or they did this year) so I have plenty of time to decide whether I'm doing the full or the half because it won't sell out. It will probably be the full, it's a while after Edinburgh so plenty of time to recover and train up again.