Support Groups - College Chicks

View Full Version : College Chicks

Jennifer 3FC
01-01-2007, 05:58 PM
If you are in college, this thread is for you! You have different obstacles - like the food court, a school gym, and if you live on campus, little to no cooking facilities.

How do you do it? Share your experiences here, and if things take off, you might grow to your own forum. :cheer:

spunker
01-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Before taking a medical leave from school in 2004, I lived in a dorm.

There were two types of meal plans:

1. You had so many points. You could, if I remember correctly, choose from three different. Each meal had a certain point value. One was for those that typically didn't eat breakfast, and basically the three depended on your schedule and type of eater you were. Also, included was a $50 value for any food places on campus.

2. You had no points, but rather a dollar value instead. You could put this amount towards meals in the dinning hall or any place on campus.

Within the dorm we had a "C-Store" (convenient store).

So your choices were: All you can eat in the dinning hall, "fast-food" from the on campus restaraunts, or nothing but processed foods from the C-Store.

I'm not sure how common this is in other colleges, but what I found most helpful was that in our rooms, we were permitted a mini-fridge and a microwave.

I had a little bit of extra money from a part-time on campus job, so I decided to grocery shop at a regular grocery store - I used the dollar value on my ID card for the other things such as toiletries (sp?), OTC meds, etc.

This allowed me to spend the same amount but choose from a better selection of foods - however much microwavable food you can choose from (though there was a kitchen you could reserve for a couple of hours which had a stove).

So, if anyone lives in a dorm, my best suggestion would be to try and shop at a regular grocery store if at all possible and avoid campus food as much as possible. The dinning hall was all you can eat, which can be very dangerous.

Even with doing that, I was in a crazy way with food. It was very easy access for binge food.

- - - - - - -

I just started back to a community college Fall 2006.

I'm currently living on my own as well as working full time during the days during the week, meaning classes are in the evening.

My first semester was pretty tough since I was going four evenings a week and only had 1/2 an hour at home between work and class.

Spring semester (due to start in a couple of weeks) will be a little less hectic as I'm only going twice during the week (though 3 hours each on both nights) - however on those two nights I will have the same half hour in between.

Because my job doesn't pay much, I don't have much money to begin with, but as I'm sure most (if not all) are aware, health(ier) foods aren't very cheep.

On school nights I've found that I don't have much time to grab something to eat - and I stay away from the cafe there (besides that I can't afford it lol). I know I could take something with me, probably, but I struggle with eating in front of others, so I tend to wait until I get home, which leaves me completely ravenous.

I know we have a fitness center there - however I'm not sure if it's class-only use or if it's open to all students for personal use. The things that stop me are:

1. Feeling completely mortified to ask - even if it's just calling on the phone.
2. I feel very self-conscious about exercising in front of people at the moment.

When I started back, I thought it'd help change my eating habits due to a busy schedule, but so far hasn't. I need to find a medium for those school nights so I'm not on the verge of passing out, eat everything in site upon coming home, etc.

Heh, sorry this was a bit long... :o

Jennifer 3FC
01-02-2007, 11:06 PM
I know we have a fitness center there - however I'm not sure if it's class-only use or if it's open to all students for personal use. The things that stop me are:

1. Feeling completely mortified to ask - even if it's just calling on the phone.
2. I feel very self-conscious about exercising in front of people at the moment.

Please don't be self conscious at the gym. My first day at my gym was SICKENING! I thought I would throw up or pass out on my first day. It was nothing at all like I expected! I have to admit that the first time I actually worked out, I felt naked walking out on to the floor. But I can't imagine NOT being there now.

Nobody looks at big girls at the gym.

And if they DID look, it would be admiration. If you work hard in the gym, people RESPECT you, not laugh at you. I promise. Give it a try, it could be the best thing that ever happened to you. :cheer:

IAte86Crayons
01-03-2007, 05:55 PM
^ That's good advice, Jennifer. My first experience at the gym was embarrassing too. I was so awkward and self concious, lol. I fell on the elliptical machine and was working the weight machines all wrong. But I did realize that not many people were even paying any attention to me and the people who did pay attention to me were nice. :)

My problem is that I have no time and I'm always exhausted. I work part time and I'm in college full time. Attending an art school, I have sooo much homework - projects, projects, essays, projects. And it seems like when I'm not at school I'm either at work or slaving away on homework... and when I do have time (a very little time) to myself I'm extremely exhausted. Fortunately I've been eating well, but that alone hasn't helped me lose any weight. :(

gingerjen
01-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Hello ladies,
I would love to join you. A little about myself. I am going back to school actually next monday, after being out for 4.5 years. I dropped out after having kids and being way to poor to pay for it, or bills, or anything. Well my husband and I have gotten ourselves caught up and I am jumping in head first. I am one of the lucky ones, I won't have to work. If I did my kids would be in daycare all day everyday and that sacrifice just isn't worth it to me. I would rather go without the little things money can buy.

I won't be working out at the school's rec center right away, mostly because I have an elliptical and tons of workout dvds at home, that and I don't want to pay for the extra daycare. Although after I get to the point that I will be seen in public in a bathing suit I will use the pool, I love to swim and it has been so long since I have gone.

Well ladies I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.
Until next time,
Jen

spunker
01-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Jennifer, you are right about that. I have gone to a gym a few times. I once started out at a women's only fitness center - went a few times, never stepped foot in again. A couple of years ago I had a free 8 week pass for Bally's (discovery health challenge) - again went a few times, never stepped foot back in.

When I lived in a dorm, they had an exercise room for the residence. You had to sign out the key (I believe there were two) for a maximum time of 2 hours. The chances of anyone else utilizing the other key would have probably been slim, but I still felt too mortified to sign it out.

I *know* the gym won't be that bad once I make a habbit of going, but the first few times is the biggest hurtle. I'm going to do the discovery health challenge again, so I'll have an 8 week pass starting the 14th, so maybe once I get used to the setting, I'll have the courage to go to the one at school.

IAte86Crayons, It is really difficult when you have a busy schedule. I always thought it'd be easier to lose weight because I wouldn't be so focused on food - but several people said I'd find the time, and sure enough I did.

I'm sorry to hear that eating well hasn't helped in weightloss (yet), but I think if you keep plugging away with eating healthy, it'll eventually change. If anything, it's still healthy as far as what you are putting into your body (ie. more energy, etc).

Do you live on campus? Is the campus big?

The last school I went to had a decent size campus. I wouldn't say it's the largest, but I liked the fact that the campus extended so many blocks - gave me a reason to walk (not I should need a reason other than my health).

My current one is only one building (well, 5, but are connected and it's just not really that big), but I usually have to park far back, so it's a small walk just to get to the building.

gingerjen, first, congrats on getting back into school!

Second, I don't think it matters much if you take advantage of the rec center or not - mostly that you have the option, but mostly that you have other things you are able to do. I would love to have some of my own equipment (elliptical or treadmill).

sweet_talker
01-04-2007, 07:01 PM
hey girls, I'm plunging into the eerie depths of weightloss on campus too. It's my first year being away from home and I'm living in a dorm where it's not too far from anything. This first semester was ultra difficult for me 'cause I didn't seem to be able to resist tasty sweet foods when I was lonely, but now I'm back on track and though it feels like it's soooo much more work to be healthy, I'm doin' it.

I also got a yoga ball, mat and 3 DVDs for christmas, so I'm hoping to do those *daily*...that's a lot, but I think I can do it, I am taking less courses this semester specifically so that I have more time to exercise and do the things I love, like art.

Anywaysssss...That is enough about myself...I hope you guys are all doing well in the New Year...what with tackling your gym fears (I can't stand gyms, personally...they spook me) or gaining more energy.

IAte86Crayons, I know you said you were eating healthy and that wasn't giving you any benefits, but maybe you're lacking in some specific nutrients or minerals if you're exhausted all the time. Maybe you're not getting enough protein, or perhaps your iron levels are super low. If you're abnormally tired, maybe your diet is making the problem worse. I have anemia and am crazily deficient in iron, when I'm not doing anything about it my energy levels plummet so drastically that I wish I didn't ever have to get out of bed. I don't really know your situation, but maybe looking into that might help :)

spunker
01-04-2007, 07:34 PM
IAte86Crayons, (I love that name! :)) now that sweet_talker mentioned the possibility of a deficiency - do you take a multi-vitamin? Maybe that's something that may help?

I'm *trying* to take a viactiv daily (chocolate vitamins). I'm sure I'm probably not getting all the nutrients that I need, so I assume it helps, and plus it kind of gives me my chocolate taste for the day.

sweet_talker, I hope you don't feel bad about the first semester being difficult - it takes adjusting to new environments, but it sounds like you're heading in the right direction.

I've never been much into yoga (mostly because I don't stretch that way... well, not yet anyway - though I assume it's a lot easier when you have proper equipment lol), but it sounds like you like it (stating the obvious), and I think that's real important when it comes to exercise. You have to find something you enjoy, otherwise it's like a chore.

Good luck to ya :)

Jennifer 3FC
01-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Heyyyyyy, just bumping this up! We have a lot of people interested in the college thread, but they haven't found it. :lol:

ShirleyAnn05
01-06-2007, 01:47 AM
I live off campus in my own apartment, work part time at walmart and school full time, so I have very little time to myself. I'm going into my fourth semester, working to get my prereqs done for my nursing, and studying hard core for my EMT boards later this spring. I don't think I will know what free time is. (Luckily though I don't have any children...unless my 20 and 19 year old roommates count!)

Last year I lived in the dorms, it was terrible. The food was really greasy, and if you wanted to eat the salad bar you could have lettuce, cheese, dressing. That was it. What really got everyone was that they had to have at least $1000 each semester to spend in there. Although I have gotten out of that obligation, it's really hard for me to buy food that is really good for me. (I really don't get paid enough to buy the really healthy food). I'm not sure what all alternatives there are, but at this point the only thing I can think of doing is buying more fruits and veggies, and drinking more water than pop. The only thing with the water though is that our tap water is really gross, so I'm putting the crystal lite stuff in it. Does anyone have any ideas of healthy food alternatives that are fairly inexspensive? I'd love to know!

Jennifer 3FC
01-06-2007, 02:16 PM
My tap water is also pretty bad. We keep a Brita pitcher full of water. I bought it on sale at Krogers for about $20 and it also had two filters with it. Each filter is good for at least 40 gallons, so it goes a long way.

Cheap healthy food I can think of...eggs and oatmeal! Boiled eggs for snacks, or with some fruit or oatmeal for a meal. Omelets are easy and cheap, and so are quiches and fritattas. You can also make a fruit crisp with some oatmeal. I don't remember how I made it, but I used to make fruit crisp with canned peaches and oatmeal in my starving college days. There is a way to make it without too much butter, and you can substitute Splenda for sugar.

Soup is generally not too expensive to make, and you can get a load of vegetables in this way. It's easy to reheat, also.

Stirfry can be cheap. Buy the mixed stirfry veggies in the freezer department and add some sliced chicken, tofu or frozen shrimp to it and add some sweet brown rice. We also like to buy some napa cabbage when it is on sale and stirfry that with it. You can buy stirfry bags that have sauce in them (we only use half, it's full of corn syrup and half is always plenty.) or you can buy some stirfry sauce in the asian food aisle.

Speaking of rice, you can get a lot of interesting and tasty rice at natural food stores in bulk, and for a fraction of the price of the commercial bags. Ours has 'sweet brown rice' and it is short grain brown rice, and it has a nice flavor. Not as overpowering as regular brown rice, and more fiber than the neutered, non nutritive white rice. We also buy steel cut oats, couscous and other grains there, really cheap. You scoop it out in to a bag and pay per pound. Just be sure and write on the bag what the water to grain ratio is because you won't have a package with cooking instructions when you get home.

Sandwiches can be healthy and inexpensive. When we ate meat, we always bought deli sliced meat a little at a time so it didn't go bad, and it wasn't expensive in single serving sizes. Add some fresh spinach and/or tomato, mustard, mild or spicy pepper rings, cucumbers,pesto, laughing cow cheese (not all at once, maybe!), hummus, onions, or anything else that looks tasty for something unusual that doesn't add too many calories. If it's just not a sandwich without cheese, add something aged and sharp, because a little goes a long way. Your $7 chunk of smoked gouda or aged parmesan can last a month or more.

Buy garbanzo beans, black beans or kidney beans to toss in to soups or add to salads to add protein and fiber. And they're nice and cheap! They're also good on the side with your entree, topped with salsa. Hope this helped!

cerridwen013
01-07-2007, 02:34 AM
I live at home and go to college, and I find that its really hard to eat regular meals during the day. and by the time I get home at night Im so hungry I clean out the fridge. I have recently joined LA weightloss and looking at their plan, I think Im in for a really hard time, 6 mini meals a day? being heavy I feel really self conscious about eating in class, or in front of people in the union. any ideas on anything that can help me with this?

ShirleyAnn05
01-07-2007, 11:19 PM
jennifer-that's an amazing list! thanks a lot, it'll help big time!
cerridwen-in our union we have a balcony type thing (its actually a hallway that connects two buildings) and it has tables and chairs, there is also a "study area" in the upstairs of one of the two buildings in the union where we can eat, and not many people use it. is there possibly something like that at your college? I know we have a lot of random little "study areas" all over campus that people eat at (and they study too! multi-tasking!). I don't know what your school is like, but maybe there are places like that there! hope i helped a little!

missindy
01-07-2007, 11:51 PM
I too am in college. I've lived on campus the whole time, and I'm gonna be a senior this semester.

I did REALLY good my first year. I dropped about 50 pounds. But, the last year and a half have been horrible. I've lost about 20 pounds at the moment, but I was down another 50 from that first year at one point.

Lately though, I've just been too busy to eat right. I know, I know, that's not an excuse, but that's the only way I can describe it. First of all, I go to a small school that is basically run by the students, so the caf is only open for a couple hours at a time. I am hardly ever free at those times. I am taking 18 hours, plus I work 15 hours on campus and 25 hours off campus a week. When I try to fit in homework AND exercise time, it just doesn't work. We also only have a VERY small fridge to be shared by me and my roomie, making it near to impossible to keep a lot of healthy stuff in our room.

ugh...

gingerjen
01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Hello everyone,
I kinda thought that if we are going to help each other through this we should share a little info about ourselves for everyone else.
About me
I am 26 and a few credits shy of being a senior. I am a human services counseling major. I live off campus with my husband and two daughters. Although he is a trucker and is only home on the weekends.

My plan of attack
1500 calories a day
lots and lots of tea, I don't do well with water unless it is flavored.
At least 30 minutes of cardio a day -today was 45-I will go between the elliptical and taebo, and I have the turbo jam dvds I am wanting to try out.
Toning workout-3 times a week for about 20 minutes each, kinda depends.
My ultimate goal is about 140ish, depends on how I look and feel.

In a previous post I said I don't plan on using the rec right away-well it turns out one of my classes is in the rec, it is a required class so I can look to my instructor for help which will be very nice, also I know for sure I will be working out at least twice a week.

Well of to shower before the little one wakes up from her nap.
Later,
Jen

sweet_talker
01-08-2007, 03:03 PM
spunker Yes! I lurve yoga, it feels extra nice after I've been sitting in the same chair for hours doing homework, readings and the like :D What do you like to do??

ShirleyAnn05 That cafeteria experience sure sounds rough. We have a pretty good salad bar here. And Jennifer gave sooo many awesome suggestions. Hmm... How about cottage cheese? My friends in featherweights suggested it to me as a source for lean protein and I've been into that ever since. It's cheap, you can do lots of different things with it, and you can get it with low fat if you want. I also drink a lot skim milk. And, I don't know how your guy's cafeteria work, but at the main part in mine they have an entree and a couple sides, usually 2 vegetables and starch and I will usually skip the entree but get the veggies. It works really well.

cerridwen013 Are you sure LA weight loss is the right plan for you? If you're not able to do it, or it's not working out for you maybe you should reconsider it. I would recommend taking portable snacks with you, like fruit, yogurt, milk, some cut up veggies, sandwiches...the like. I like ShirleyAnn's idea too.

missindy You sound sooooo busy. Don't overdo it, that's a lotta work. How do you get to your job? Maybe if you're taking the bus or driving there you can walk/jog/run/bike there. What do you guys keep in your fridge? And there's lots of healthy things that don't need refrigeration...set out a bowl of fruit or somethin'... Good luck with fitting everything into your schedule.

killmissamerica0
01-09-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm in college in England, and the eating is horrific! I'm just about to go back to the second term in my first year and it's so difficult to eat healthily. I buy vegetables and try to make nice soups and stuff, but I just end up having pasta everyday because its so quick. Lots of junk food to eat and then there's the drinking and the laziness. We have a lovely lake to run around and i would really like to jog around it, but i'm so unfit at the moment that the thought of people i know slightly seeing me run around it completly out of breath mortifies me. I've lost a couple of pounds since I've been home, but does anyone have any tips on how to keep losing weight while at college, such as the amount of alcohol that is healthy to have, or quick healthy meals ?
thanks!
jo xx

SillyFluff
01-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Ok now that I have a minute I can post my story.

I'm a college student that lives at home. Last semester I went to school full time and worked part time so I know how the no time thing goes.
This semester I'm going to school for more then half time (but not considered full time cuz its only 9 credit hours) and those classes are on Mon, Tues and Thurs evenings. I work part time at Sylvan Learning Ctr on monday thru thrusday and saturdays. I'm currently tryin to get a job with our school system out here so then I'll be working full time with them.

It does seem like there is not enough time in the day and that i cant afford healthy food right now. I dont get paid much at Sylvan (don't get me started) and that usually goes straight to bills before I even get it. Lucky for me my boyfriend lives with me and takes great care of me but its hard to ask him to buy things that I need when he doesnt. He's slender and healthy...I often ask myself what he is doing with me. *sigh*

Anyhoo. I'm off i'll try to post later tonight when I get home from class. Take care yall.

spunker
01-13-2007, 06:16 PM
sweet_talker, I'm not quite sure what I *really* like to do as I can't say I've really actually exercised in over a year :o Though, I sued to jog in place for awhile (back in 2004), but that gets really boring. I got the Biggest Loser DVD and want to give it a try. I'm going to starting looking for something that I really enjoy.

killmissamerica0, it's tough because a lot of the unhealthy stuff is very convenient. Do you have a microwave and fridge/freezer? If so, what about some frozen dinners? I don't know what all they have in England, but here they have Weight Watcher frozen dinners, South Beach, lean cuisines, Michelina's, etc.

I'm not saying frozen are the absolutely best way to go (or in excess), but they do have some variety for lower cals than the real thing - ie. Pizza. Some also have desserts. Just an idea.

There's some frozen pasta ones that are really delicious. The portion is already there for you as well.

SillyFluff, I can relate. My job pays poorly, and like you, most money goes to bills. I have a huge rant about healthy food being expensive.

Where I'm at, there were two main grocery stores that people would go to, big competitors. There are some others, but not many. The one went out business, so now, the one is just one giant corporation. They are doing things such as gas perks - $0.10 per $50 spent - for their gas station. My mom was just telling me that a thing of lettuce cost about $4.00!

Definitely frustrating.

- - - - - -

My first class starts this Wednesday. I'm nervous. I work 7:30 - 4:00, and it takes about 20 minutes to get home, and about 30 minutes to get to school from there - both classes start at 6pm until 8:40, so I'm not sure how I'm going to handle food those two nights. I always want to leave my apartment by 5 because of rush hour traffic, and besides wanting to get there a bit early.

I hate it too because no matter what I do I'm always feeling self-conscious (especially where there are a lot of people). I can relax a bit at work, but school, I just want to slink behind something.

ShirleyAnn05
01-15-2007, 09:49 PM
missindy: you have a extremely busy schedule! holy cow! but i noticed u said that working in time to exercise and homework would be hard. i don't know about your college, but in our rec center (i also don't know how you feel about those:D ) we have the machines (like the bikes, stair steppers, etc) that have stands on them so we can study and work out at the same time. just a suggestion for maybe multitasking on some of that stuff.

caseygail21
01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
I am also a college student. My weight problems actually started in college. I lived in the dorms my freshman year and gained about 40 pounds really fast. There was temptation EVERYWHERE. My friends and I ate at the caf for every meal and we often times found ourselves making late night trips to McDonalds or Wendy's. We LOVED fast food. Our sleeping patterns were way off and just simply did not take care of ourselves. After I moved out of the dorms, I moved in with 3 of my best friends and we continued down this road. I would go on little spurts where I would diet for a few weeks, but I was never commited and quickly fell back into temptation. This past semester I transferred schools and moved back in with my parents. I'm finding it a lot easier to eat healthier. Since I commute I am able to take my lunch to school. It is still very hard, but I am not dealing with as much temptation. I am struggling with exercise though. I try to get a thirty minute walk in everyday, but I go to school at 8 and don't get off of work until 5 so, it is really hard to squeeze in the time to exercise. What I try to do is walk around campus when I have a few minutes or walk around the playground with the kids at recess ( I work at a preschool) I am consistently losing about a pound to two pounds a week, and I am really happy with that. I guess right now my fear is that I will go right back to my old ways and will gain it all back or never reach my goals. I'm looking forward to reading more on this thread bc I think we could really support each other. We have to deal with a lot of obstacles, especially people that live on campus.

sweet_talker
01-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Hey girls, I don't have much time to post today, but I just wanted to note: you all sound SOOO busy! Not to be preachy or anything like that, but don't forget to take some time for yourself!

Taking time out of my schedule for exercise and giving myself set plans for food helps me sooo much. Hope you're all having a good week.

Rabmonk006
01-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey everyone, I just joined today and I too am trying to lose weight in college.. which is hard since thats when I started to gain it to begin with! I live on campus and the way our meals work is we can choose 7,10, or 14 meals a week in the cafeteria, and each plan comes with $500, $350, or $150 to spend in the marketplace(per semester).. the marketplace has a bakery, a deli, a taco bell, premade sandwiches and salad bar, chips and stuff like that.. I have the 7 meal a week plan.. the good thing about it is that our campus dining website lists the calories in everything they'll be serving each day/week, so I plan what I'll be eating ahead of time :) I just wish they didn't have a huge table of cookies, cakes, pies etc. right in front of the door >:O

truelies
01-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi, my name is Nikki. I'm 19 and supposed to be starting my sophomore year. Things didn't work out the way I planned and I'm now about to re-start my freshman year. I also have a full time job and it's so hard carrying everything around. I loved the convience of sitting home and eating when/what I needed to on my diet. I guess this will just be a test of my willpower/determination. I look forward to chatting with all of you :)

dmariecan2
01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
OK I'm new here. I am a graduating senior in college. I am a 25 year old wife and mother. My son was diagnosed in 2005 with autism. At the same time my grades began to slip and I received my first (and only) failing grade in my college career. It's been a rough patch getting through college, but I am so close to finishing I can taste it! My goal is to fit into my purple dress (size 14) for graduation in May (current size 24). I have joined WW through the school and go to my first meeting tomorrow. I would like to use this community as a support group because you can never have too much support.

sweet_talker
01-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey college chicks, how's your weight loss going?? What methods are people using? What goals do people have beside shedding pounds?

I'm currently counting calories 1200-1300 per day (I'm looking into zig-zagging my calories at the moment and might start that, too). I try to get 55% of my calories from carbs, 20-25% from both lean protein and healthy fats. I was eating 5-6 meals per day but in the last week I've only been eating 2 a day.

I'm trying to do a workout routine that I made for myself with weights and floor exercises of about 35 minutes and then 20 minutes of yoga. I want to get out on my bike more and I do dance classes on Saturday and Sunday for 2 hours a piece.

I'm really interested in detoxes and cleanses. I have a thing for toxins? lol

I want to fit into old clothes. I want to feel comfortable on the beach. I want the choice between a piece of fruit and a muffin to not be soooo painstaking (because I actually would prefer the fruit!) Uhhmmm, yeah! That's about it. I'd love to hear from all of you about what you're doing and what you're motivated by. :)

Veronee
01-30-2007, 05:22 AM
I'm currently inbetween schools, but having lived the dorm life...lordy, do I know where you guys are coming from! xD
People mentioned going to the gym and being embarassed. I've so been there. The first time I went, I was horrified and hated it. The next time I went with a friend ( I highly recommend! ) and I actually ended up seeing more people there I knew who were trying to loose weight too.

Once, I decided to do some weight training and I couldn't figure out the machine ( Do'h! ) and before I knew it this big football player came over and helped me when he saw my baffled face. xD He was really nice and impressed by how much I could lift. ; 3

It's so easy to assume people are going to judge you when you go to work out-- but people are usually really nice and helpful.

100percentME
02-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey everyone!! Im not in college right now, in fact in a sofmor in highschool but i was wondering if i can join yall neway. I know loosing weight in highschool is different than in college but yall have gone thro what im going thro and college is alot more similar to highskool than the ppl on this site who r married w/ kids.
So..can i join yall in this thread??

spunker
02-05-2007, 05:40 AM
Hey everyone :)

Things have been a bit crazy since school started (two evenings a week).

After my very first class (January 17), I realized I lost my bank card, and I'm still waiting for it. Very frustrating, and the month of January seemed to have gone down hill from there lol

Currently sitting in a 59 degree apartment (something wrong with heat) while it's about 10 degrees outside.

I have 21 more pounds to go to get below 200.

I've finally started exercising at the gym, and it surprises me so much to say I'm actually having fun doing it!

Has anyone ever had a problem with classes/work while trying to lose weight? I mean, that your focus becomes so much on your weight, food, and exercise that you begin to miss class, etc.? Or you don't study as you should?

I had this problem when I was first away at school in 2003/2004. I became so "obsessed" that I was staying home to exercise, etc. The second semester I only had gone to classes for a week before I stopped going all together. I'm noticing that it's starting up again.

Granted, I've only missed 1 class (but that one class equals one week missed of that class), and we take our quizzes online (and are taken down after a certain time period), I haven't even taken 2 of mine that were due last week (but are/were being left up due to problems with the book being available in the book center), and I have no idea if they are still up, terrified to look, haven't read the chapters because I've been "occupied" with the whole dieting thing.

Anyone relate?

Caughlk
02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Hello everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum! I've started eating much better the last few days, but I am ALWAYS hungry now. I'm thinking that it's because my body is used to fast food and snacks and is shocked by all the fruits and vegetables! If anyone has info on healthy foods that actually make you feel satisfied/full please let me know!

Caughlk
02-06-2007, 07:42 PM
I hope everyone is feeling proud of themselves! I am amazed by all of the ideas, support, and motivation on this forum. Hopefully the motivation will rub off on me! There is a gym at the school I go to as well as one at the condo i live it, but I never seem to make it there. Good luck everyone!!!

Sweet___Talker: I love that you are so outgoing and friendly to everyone! You have given a lot of great advise! I tried a fruit and vegetable diet (it lasted two days and I just quit it today). The plan i was using said to eat as much fruit until you feel satisfied. I NEVER felt satisfied! Let me know how it works for you if you do it. I also have a bunch of aerobic dvds, but I am so clumsy I can't keep up with the trainer. Haha!

100PercentME: I don't have any objections to you joining the group! I also just joined. High school is a lot like college in terms of being on the go and having greasy cafeteria food. When I was in high school I ate pasta salad and french fries everyday!

sweet_talker
02-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Hey all, sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been busy (like everyone else!)

100PercentME -- of course you can join!! Anyone is welcome here. You don't have to be in College, I'm sure lots of people outside of College can relate to us in here!

Veronee nice job on the lifting! I so agree with you about having friends to go to the gym with (or any physical activity) it makes it so much more fun.

Spunker I'm so sorry that your month hasn't been the best. I usually find Januarys to leave something to be desired, same with November (strange, I know!) I know what you mean about being so interested in your weight that you don't go to class. Not to the same extent, but I definitely know where you're coming from: it's like if I only have time to care about one thing -- my weight, or school -- school's going on the back burner.

Caughlk, that's really sweet of you to say :o You can always get more bees with honey... If you know what I mean :)

Fruit and veggie diets are hard. I'm tempted to try them sometimes, but I know that they're not going to give me what I need. What sorts of DVDs do you have? One time I tried out a DVD of my friends and was blown away by how quick it was, I returned it to her and she said "well, you have to start at the beginner's level!" and apparently the one she lent me was advanced :dizzy:

Oh, and Caughlk, about healthy foods to satisfy -- what sorts of foods do like? Little tricks I've picked up here and there (lots of them from :3fc: :) are:
- when having something like a sandwich, pile it with veggies (I like lettuce, tomato, sprouts, cucumber) to fill you up
- cottage cheese, cottage cheese, cottage cheese...cheap, healthy protein
- getting enough fibre in your diet, choosing whole wheat over white to fill you up
- making sure you've consumed enough fat and protein (carbs aren't filling!)
- soups can be very filling and not many calories if you stick to ones with broth base (rather than cream)
- drink lots of water (always gotta add that!)
- instead of drinking juice (if you do) go for the fruit itself

my gosh...that last bit of suggestion really set me off :jig:

SillyFluff
02-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Hey guys,
Sorry I have like dropped off the face of the earth. I just started a TA position at a local elementary school and with classes at night and still working my other job on the weekends I have no time to do anything. How is everyone doing??

sweet_talker
02-07-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm doing pretty good, Sillyfluff. How are you doing? A TA position at a local elementary school? Soounds like it could be a little hectic :p but hey, I want to be a teacher!

SillyFluff
02-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Yea it is but its fun. I love the kids I'm with there. They all have their own special personality and can really be sweet when they want to. I'm going to school to be a teacher as well.

Caughlk
02-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Sweet__Talker: Thank you so much for the tips! I'm going from drinking only diet coke to drinking more water. Now I notice I feel dehyrated if I drink too much soda! I really need to figure out which foods contain what nutrients, I have no idea!

I have a lot of videos! I have hip hop dance videos (which I CANNOT do!). I also have Yoga and pilates videos. I have a ball and pilated mat and set. I just need to get motivated.

My goal isn't really to lose weight; it's to get my body healthy. Up until Sunday I pretty much lived off of fast food, diet coke, and cigarettes. ICKY!!!

This is such a great forum! Good job ladies!!!

Caughlk
02-08-2007, 02:44 AM
Sweet__Talker: haha, does the monkey lifting weights mean after you posted you went to the gym? I love it!

LookingForHope16
02-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Hey there!! I wanted to introduce myself and tell you a little about me~!

I go to college on Tuesday and Thursdays and work a midnight job!

I live in a two bedroom apartment with SO and a RM. (RM also has a little baby!) We have two dogs and things are rough.

I also have PCOS and just started the meds for it to help me! Things seem to be going better, but I am still working to make me a better me!

Does anyone have any advice about taking a 'gym' type class.

I'm a little unsure of it, but then I would be forced to work out.

We are thinking about joining the "Student Access" at school to be able to use the gym. Just not sure about doing it.

Hope that everyone is okay!!

sweet_talker
02-08-2007, 03:03 AM
That's so cool that you want to be a teacher, SillyFluff, and that you're enjoying the kids :)

Caughlk, nooo...I wish it meant I went to the gym, but I think I probably went to bed after writing that post. I did do a Pilates Cardio DVD today, though. We seem to have a lot of exercise stuff in common. If you want, we can try and motivate each other to get more exercise as our options seem so similar :)

Fast food, diet coke and cigarettes, eh? That sounds like a lifestyle I know pretty well. I've never actually smoked though, I was just part of the Diet Coke And Cigarettes For Lunch Crew in high school. Not a healthy choice.

Hmmm...I have developed (for whatever reason) a great interest in understanding what foods contain what. I really have no idea why the interest was sparked, but I'll run with it. Is there anything in particular you want to know? Are you talking about vitamins and minerals, or the macronutrients (carbs, fats, protein)?

Here's a website I find helpful, I like it because at the bottom it tells me the symptoms I might have if I'm deficient in it, and it tells me what foods I should eat to get it:
http://www.springboard4health.com/notebook/cat_vitamins.html

Also, maybe try investing in a multivitamin.

Sorry if that was too much chatter...Sometimes I go off on tangents :shrug: :)

I wonder what's happened to all our other College Chicks...? Come baaaack.

Nikaia
02-08-2007, 03:06 AM
Hi! Mind if I join you? I'm a regular over in 20-somethings, I had no idea this group existed before now!

I'm a student at UC Santa Cruz, studying linguistics, graduating this spring. Luckily I've lived in apartments all four years (on-campus the first three, off-campus this year) and so had a kitchen. However, I'm not exactly affluent, and so I'd gotten in the habit of buying ramen and pastaroni ($1-a-box meals) in bulk and living off of that. My diet was pure refined carbs, very little protein, plenty of sugar and sweets when I could afford the convenience store. I entered college weighing about 150 lbs, and over the gain-lose-gain-lose cycle, I ended up at almost 200 lbs at the beginning of this school year. It was a slap in the face. So I've been working since then - although I got MASSIVELY sidetracked during December, unsurprisingly - and I want to be down to my pre-college weight by my graduation in mid-June and at my goal weight by my birthday in early August.

I have no structured eating plan; I just eat mostly whole foods and tot up my calories in fitday once or twice a week to keep myself honest. For workouts, I've got some DVDs, but got majorly bored. So now, as of yesterday, I'm doing DDR as my workout! *grin*

So, that's me. I look forward to getting to know you ladies!

sweet_talker
02-08-2007, 03:17 AM
LookingforHope:
Oooh, a midnight job. What do you do? I used to work some strange hours too. I didn't know what PCOS was (forgive my uneducated self) so I looked it up -- I'm glad the meds are helping -- the symptom list was long and dismal. That's so great that things are turning around for you.

Hmmm, as for a gym class, great idea with taking one so that you'll have a reason to work out. It's tough on your own, heck, it's tough in class too, but at least it's organized.

I don't really know what to suggest as I'm not sure what your interests, skill level or time frame is...However, I have a few suggestions, things to ponder:
- pick something you like (this seems obvious, but from experience with trying desperately at things I don't enjoy, I implore you to do this)
- do you like to group things, or go by yourself? take that into consideration
- are you looking to achieve specific goals (i.e. flexibility, weight loss, muscle tone, endurance)
- do you need something low impact? (then running would definitely be out)

With all this said and done, I would recommend:
- kickboxing (cardio kickboxing is amazing for toning!)
- yoga
- pilates (also great for toning)
- dance (you can even go with your SO)
- lots of ladies love swimming, I'm not a swimmer, but it's a great workout
- exercise classes for your core (having a strong core is key to maintaining a healthy body)

Yep. Everytime I type another post I'm shocked by its length. Hope you gals don't mind. :)

sweet_talker
02-08-2007, 03:21 AM
Welcome, Nikaia! I think I recognize your name from the 20 somethings... You must be so excited to finish soon. Hope you join us in here often, maybe tell us how your DDR workout's going (sounds fun).

Nikaia
02-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Actually, Sweet_Talker, you just posted a reply to my thread in the main Support forum. :)

DDR...Well, it's fun and frustrating all at the same time. I'm really enjoying it; I love being challenged, and while other workouts are challenging in a fitness sense, this is a challenge of skill and speed - attributes that I want to develop. The only problem - if problem it is - is that I get started, and I get working on a song, and then I get the "one more game" syndrome. "Just one more time through...okay, one more, I wanna hit that combo...one more time, wanna beat this score...well I messed that up, gotta try it again..." and so on. But, I guess it's better to extend your workout longer than you have time for than to cut it short out of boredom. ;) I think I'm going to set my goal by number of songs per day/week/month from now on. Have to do some more research into how long songs average, plus my between-tracks time and stuff. But I'm actually looking forward to a form of physical activity, and that's INCREDIBLY rare for me.

Okay, enough rambling. I'm going to bed - it's nearly 1 AM here. :faint:

Caughlk
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Sweet__Talker: I love your long posts; they are full of useful information and ideas! I think it would definitely be a good idea to motivate each other! So much money spent on workout dvds, so little actual working out being done :) haha

Lookingforhope: I've also considered taking a gym class. Kickboxing has always looked like a lot of fun to me. So have dance type classes -which is funny bc I have NO dancing skills! You have a baby that lives with you? I love babies. I worked with infants for three years while I was getting my bachelor's degree. They are wonderful! Maybe you and your friend can take the baby for walks and take turns pushing the stroller.

Nikaia: I can relate to the top ramen thing. I have actually been eating it uncooked recently....is that normal? haha. Something that I am going to work on is making a meal plan each week and then shopping only for the ingredients needed. Otherwise I go to the store and spend way too much on unhealthy junk food! I got a book called the Mayo Clinic cook book. I really don't know anything about the actual diet strategy of Mayo, but the foods in the cookbook look really good. Hopefully that helped a little!

I just joined yesterday and I absolutely love this forum! So many great ideas!!!

Caughlk
02-08-2007, 02:53 PM
A little about me:
I'll be 26 next month
I'm back at WWU to work on a second degree
I'm not working right now (super lazy, no excuse for not exercising!)
I have three cats:Yogi, Stinky Boots, and Jack
I love to do crossword and variety puzzles!

Elerine
02-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi girls

At risk of stereotyping myself, 'g'day from Down Under'! I go to Uni (the same as college?) fulltime, work part time, and live with my parter (who works fulltime and studys parttime). I thought I was the only person in the whole world struggling to find the time and money to eat healthily. I guess I am the only person in my circles anyway.

WooHoo! You guys sound great, can't wait to get to know you all. I'm going into my second year of a double degree, B. Management + B. International Studies. I'm also in AIESEC, the world's largest student org. Is anyone else?

Well, that's me in brief, I'll be around pretty often, it sounds like you guys really have things under control!

Kylie

Caughlk
02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Elerine: Welcome!!! Do you prefer to go by Kylie or Elerine? My real name is Katie; I wish I had picked a better user name. It's the beginning part of my last name and first name initial. Haha. It is so cool that we are all from different places in the world! I've always wanted to go to Australia. It sounds like you're pretty busy! I'm on here all the time, in fact I may be obsessed :) Ahh, the BMI. Last week I bought a scale that measures weight, body fat percentage, and water percentage. I am now regretting buying it! I check my stats about six times a day. I might just hide it in the closet so I forget about it! I'm glad you joined!

SillyFluff
02-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Welcome to all that have joined us. I'm sorry to not post much but its just difficult to find the time. :(

sweet_talker
02-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Katie: I am glad you like my long posts, as they are rather freuquent :p ;) I love kickboxing...I'll always push for it. And I love eating ramn noodles uncooked...but I stopped when I read the nutrition and how much sodium was in the seasoning *gulp*, they're a guilty pleasure, though. I love to mix ramen noodles and Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup, too. It's an interesting mix...but I rarely have it. I love your cats names :D I'm no good at crosswords, but do sudoku puzzles sometimes. I'm planning on getting a scale like yours, but I'm also worried about continually weighing myself. I'm addicted to this site, too!!

Kylie: Yeah, I technically go to a university, too, they're the same. Look around any part of this site and you'll find people from every walk of life having the same problems you are having! Wow, a double degree...that must be a lot of work. What do you hope to do? Anything in mind?

SillyFluff: Don't be sorry! It's awesome to hear from you when there's time, but busy schedules happen :)

Caughlk
02-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Hey girls, I have a question. I know water is always the best, but is crystal lite or propel water ok? I've been drinking a lot of that lately!!! :)

Caughlk
02-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Peanut butter with apples is SO good!!

Elerine
02-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi!
Katie Either name is fine, everyone seems to be calling me Kylie (my real name!) I know what you mean about the website, I check it as often as my email - 3-4 times a day! I'm also a little worried about the scales, I don't want to become a slave to them.

Sweettalker My degree could lead me anywhere in management I suppose - it is fairly broad. AIESEC provides more opportunites to find out what I want to do (I won't bash you about it if you don't want to know). I know that I love customer service, and I like helping people find solutions. I don't know where that could lead me... Another thought was to find a management position in an NGO like Amnesty or something like that.

Kylie

Caughlk
02-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Kylie: I've decided to try to limit my scale use and just focus on eating healthy and getting exercise. It's easy to say, but difficult to do! :) My mom actually threw her scale away years ago because she would use it way too often. When I told her I bought one, she said, "Oh no." Haha. I hope you get as much from this website as I have!

Caughlk
02-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Ok girls, I'm going to ask something embarrassing, and I hope I don't offend anyone. Are any of you having issues with going to the bathroom? :o I thought I was getting enough fiber from all of the fruit and vegetables I've been eating, but i guess not. Can anyone relate?

Nikaia
02-09-2007, 12:41 AM
The issue may actually be that you're getting plenty of fiber but your body isn't used to it. If you were previously eating a diet with little fiber, then your body is going to take some time to adjust to the higher-fiber diet. Stick with it for a week or two, give yourself time. If you're still having issues then, you can ponder alternatives.

Sorry I don't have a lot of time to chat tonight, but it's midterms this week/next week (I'm a ling student, we don't have midterm exams, we have midterm assignments/projects, and they were assigned in two of my classes this week due next week) and I'm pretty busy with those.

I'm still finding time for my DDR though! Yay for FUN exercise. *grin*

Caughlk
02-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Nikaia: Thanks for your help! I think it will get better. It's deifinitely going to take time to adjust :) Good luck with your assignments!! I know things can get crazy when you have projects in each class at the same time :)

Nikaia
02-09-2007, 12:59 AM
Luckily, what with the ling dept being a relatively small one, the profs generally coordinate pretty well. Last year, my phono prof put off our midterm for a week and assigned no homework on the week that the syntax midterm was assigned. But that's cause that was Jay. And he rocks. He's my favorite linguist at UCSC, well, maybe my second favorite. Anywho. I'm off to do a few more songs, then shower, and then I'm for bed. Talk to you guys tomorrow!

sweet_talker
02-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Katie: Yummmm...peanut butter and apple...:hun: As far as I can tell, crystal lite and propel are just fine, though I wouldn't drink it for every glass of water a day. As far as constipation goes, I agree with Nikaia that the transition from very little fibre to a lot could be the culprit..but also if you're not drinking enough water, or getting enough cardio. Those keep me regular. Also, if you aren't already eating it, I would recommend switching to whole wheat grain products over white -- lots more fibre.

As for talk of the scale...I don't have one currently...But I do know where you're coming from! :lol: about your mom pitching it.

Kylie: wow, lots of options. That's cool that there's so much out there. When looking at degrees I'm always wondering what gives me the most options...:book2:

Nikaia: yay for DDR!!!

Caughlk
02-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Nikaia: Where do you do DDR? I've always wanted to try it, but I don't want people to watch me! Haha It's always great when you like your proffs! Sounds like they run a great department.

Sweet Talker: I've been eating white wheat bread for a few years, but I'm going to switch to whole wheat. I just noticed you're from VICTORIA!!! My family and I went on vacation there a few years ago and I absolutely loved it! We took a horse and buggy ride and had tea at the Empress. Beautiful city! You lucky girl!

Rabmonk006
02-09-2007, 01:22 AM
[
Nikaia: I can relate to the top ramen thing. I have actually been eating it uncooked recently....is that normal?

I used to do the same thing :O I would mash the bag all up before i open it then mix in the seasoning and eat it like a bag of chips >_> so much sodium :barf:

Caughlk
02-09-2007, 02:44 AM
I used to do the same thing :O I would mash the bag all up before i open it then mix in the seasoning and eat it like a bag of chips >_> so much sodium :barf:

It's so nummy though! :carrot:

Song Bird
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey girls :)

I'm a music student in the last year of my degree. I still live at home, so it's a lot easier to get meals that aren't fast food. My issue is much like cerridwen's. I've come a long way from being scared to eat in front of my friends, but now it's classmates I fear :p Also, I have trouble finding time to make lunch for myself, so I'll often eat in the caf or not at all until I get home (not cool on 9-12 hour days).

I go to school 20+ hours a week, and I work everyday after school and need to find a second job (cashiers wages SUCK!!). I like going to the gym, but I just can't find the time. Does anyone have any suggestions on little things that will help? I started Weight Watchers again a week ago, but I know it's not enough.

Btw, I think it's awesome to have a thread for students. It's nice to know that you're not the only one struggling, and I'm sure we can help each other out :carrot:

sweet_talker
02-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Katie: Yeah, I'm living in Victoria right now, and it is a beautiful city...but my home is in Calgary. *sigh* I miss it a lot!!!

I noticed that you were from Bellingham and remembered a really random story my friend from Tsawwassen, BC told me about having to go down to Bellingham from Canada to get shoes in his size...He has very big feet!!

Your kitty is super cute, which one is he? I love cats...and dogs..and animals in general.

Song_Bird: Wow! You sound busy! That's so neat that you're graduating this year, though, you must be excited! I don't really know what to suggest, as I'm not really sure what aspect you're talking about wanting help with :dizzy: sorry! I just don't want to shoot my mouth about an irrelevant topic. I'm sure it happens enough. :p

Caughlk
02-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Song bird I try to get my food for school ready the night before. If I don't, I usually forget, or don't have the time to take things with me. I try to take fruit and vegetables that are easy to eat in between classes. Sweet Talker suggested cottage cheese, that is a really good idea!

Sweet Talker That kitty is Jack. He is really funny and sits in all sorts of weird positions! My My boyfriend went to Calgary once for a computer game tournament. Haha. So you are pretty far from your home town, if I know my Canadian cities well. :) That can definitely be hard. I'm only about an hour away from my parents and hometown, which is nice. I'm actually going there this weekend. My little sister Olivia (the one in the profile pic with me) is 14 and does Kids Stage at the Everett Theater. She is performing A Midsummer's Night Dream this weekend, so I'm going to all of the shows. She has an amazing voice, but she won't sing for us at home! Haha.

Nikaia
02-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Hiya Song_Bird! Welcome to the thread for gli studenti! :wave:

I used to pack a lunch. But I had a mishap with the soup-and-rice I'd packed in a tupperware the other day. It exploded all over my backpack and I had to spend $40 on a new backpack I didn't want, just to continue with my day. I don't know what I'm going to do now...maybe just take a banana or something. But I'm on campus all day, so that's not really enough. Any ideas?

Oh, and I just got the BEST compliment ever today. The teacher for my Syntax class added a note to my last assignment, that I found when she handed them back today - she wanted to know if I'd mind if she put up a copy of my write-up on the class website as an example of what assignments *should* look like!:woohoo:

AND I found time tonight to make myself a few custom avatars, which I've been meaning to do for awhile. I had fun with it; this is one of the set, I'll probably be switching around pretty regularly for the next while until I decide which one is best for me right now.

sweet_talker
02-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Katie: I love it when cats contort themselves :p I'm not TOO TOO far...but certainly far enough. I'm planning on going to the university of Calgary in September, actually. :o You and Olivia looks so pretty...and so happy :) A Midsummer's Night Dream is so fun and fanciful, good luck to her. Speaking of, I saw the movie Pan's Labirynth last night...SOOOO GOOD!!!!

Nikaia I like your avatar, do you make them often? As for lunches...I'm for the old sandwich standby...They'll never fail you. Orrr...hmmm...cut up veggies, homemade muffins (I had a really tasty and healthy recipe for blueberry muffins...I haven't the foggiest as to where it is, though)... Cottage cheese, like I've already proclaimed (haha, I forget where I talk about cottage cheese, as I tend to throw it in as a suggestion for things all over the place)... You could take a tupperware of salad with a little container of dressing about the size of a film canister (I say this because my friend used to use a film canister for dresing..) Yup. And fruit, but you already mentioned that :p :)

Also, wow!!! Good job on your paper!!! That is a super compliment. :cp:

Elerine
02-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi Girls

For lunches, I've been madly 'wrapping'. Mountain bread, with cold meat (turkey or low fat ham), plus and much lettuce and sprouts and vegies as one can cram in there! i stick a bit of Philly on there too, but Avocado is another option. I haven't tried taking it to uni yet (we dont start until the 26th) but I imagine I'll keep it all separate until lunchtime, when I'll whack it all together.

I am curious about Cottage Cheese. Isn't it all lumpy or something? What does it taste like?

Kylie

Oh, and well done on that assignment nikaia!!!

Caughlk
02-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker: The play was amazing! I went to all four showings this weekend. It's the play with fifties music added. My sister played Hermia and sang Why Must I Be a Teenager in Love. It was fabulous! I'll have to see Pan's Labirynth, the previews looked good!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

sweet_talker
02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Tasty sounding sandwich Kylie...Hmmm...Cottage cheese. I don't really know how to describe it. It is lumpy, but it also tasty. Hmm...It's an aquired taste, I assume. It's sorta like a mix between yogurt, cheese and cream cheese? Haha. Basically it's "curds and whey" like the nursery.

Katie that play sounds so good. I love that the music was from the 50s, that's so cool. :)

Caughlk
02-13-2007, 01:30 AM
I keep forgetting to buy cottage cheese! :)

Nikaia
02-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Omg, you guys, I was just on the Food forum asking about ways to get more protein in my diet, and darned if cottage cheese didn't come up as the single most-suggested item after eggs (which I'm allergic to, anyway). Someone linked to a huge page of cottage-cheese recipes...let me see if I can find it, I think I bookmarked the page. Ah. Here it is. The Cottage Cheese Page (http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23)

I have this really good-sounding bread mix (you know, the kind where you just add oil, water, and eggs, and bake it), organic orange-cranberry. I could make that into muffins and take those. I also like to take a tub of brown rice with a thing of my homemade turkey chili, cause I make the chili really chunky and not very sauce-y, so even if it does burst, I can just pick out the pieces. ;) Fruit is probably a good idea, I also have some honey-whole-wheat pretzel sticks I could pack and take with. Hmm. I'm gonna be ransacking my pantry tomorrow.

So how was your guys' weekend?

sweet_talker
02-13-2007, 04:56 AM
I just have to see if it's in the cafeteria's salad bar area everyday, Katie...it's about the only shopping I do. :p

Haha Nikaia, I was the first one to post "cottage cheese" on that thread :lol: Ooooh, I like the organic orange cranberry bread...do you think you could post the recipe? homemade turkey chili sounds good too. Ack, I'm hungry!

My weekend was ok. Too much work. Not enough exercise...except for Friday night, where two of my friends and I walked home at midnight back to campus. It was a nice 2 hr., lots of hills, rather fast paced, sort of jaunt. :dizzy: What about yours?

Nikaia
02-13-2007, 12:48 PM
If I had a recipe for it, I'd post it...but it's a boxed mix I bought from Trader Joe's.

My weekend was alright...had a performance with my choral group and because of my vanity, I wore the cutest shoes for the outfit and ignored the fact that they don't fit very well. So now I have a nice blister on my heel which is preventing me from wearing regular shoes, so I'm stuck in flip-flops in the rain for now. ;) Ah, well. But I did look hot for the performance. *grin*

sweet_talker
02-13-2007, 01:15 PM
That's neat that you sing choral. I used to a couple years ago. Dunno how good I was. I saw a Vocal Jazz performance that 2 of my friends were in on Saturday night. :)

Shoes.....*sigh* I don't consider wearing painful shoes vain, I consider it a fact of life, and something I shouldn't do too often. :lol:

Nikaia
02-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Ooh, vocal jazz is a very challenging genre. I know I can't do it.

I don't consider wearing painful shoes vain, I consider it a fact of life, and something I shouldn't do too often.

Lol! I don't do it very often, mostly cause I remember the aftereffects! ;) But they really did go with the outfit...:drool:

collegegurl
02-15-2007, 01:06 AM
I am student studying engineering... and I just joined this weblog ring.... Well I've never done weblogs before... so someone may want hint at weblog ettiquite that would be great!

Right now I'm currently at: 180 lbs

My goal weight is: 120 lbs

I'm 5' 2.5" and I'm a large build (but I want to say a medium large build).

I was really active in highschool I swam and played soccer... when I hit college I think my activity level flew to through the bottom of the floor boards. Plus my food intake wasn't as healthy as it was.

I can't afford much so I've been living off of ramen (bad nutrition) and water. I'm trying to do the special-k diet for 2 weeks but it seems I'm having a relapse of hot and greasy foods! Not only to that... I'm not able to get in any form of exercise. I am walking to and from campus. So I stay on campus all day and then when all my classes are finished... I walk home. Plus since it's winter.. it's really cold out here!!!!! So I try not to say outside for longer than I have to be.

Well I wish you all luck with your adventures!

sweet_talker
02-15-2007, 02:02 AM
I'm sure you looked luuurvely Nikaia, post a picture??

Welcome, collegegurl! There's lots of us in very similar situations. Perhaps your problem with the special k diet was a lack of protein and fat (which keeps us full)...I think that if you're on a budget the special k idea could work if you incorporated less carbohydrates in the other foods you ate. I love cereal and can honestly say I'd probably be ok eating 2 bowls everyday for the rest of my life, but maybe a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix might help.

Feel free to post anywhere, hope to see you around :)

Nikaia
02-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Heya Collegegurl, welcome to the group! I think Sweet_Talker is right about getting enough protein and such; also, iirc, Special K isn't exactly a high-fiber cereal. Fiber and protein are the biggies that help us to stay full longer. I understand the not having a lot of money - trust me, I understand, if my chest were as flat as my wallet, I wouldn't have lungs! ;) - but there are cheap options. Eggs are good for protein if you can do that, also cottage cheese. Beans are relatively cheap, and if you spend a few bucks and get a pound of ground turkey you can make a healthy turkey chili that will, if you make a good-sized batch, last you several meals. In case you wanna try that idea, here's the recipe (such that it is; I don't measure anything):

1 lb ground turkey
about 3/4 of a small bottle of salsa
1/3 onion, chopped
can of pinto beans
red pepper flakes to taste
smidge of olive oil or butter

Use a pretty big (deep) skillet. Start out by cooking the chopped onion a bit in the oil/butter. Once that's looking half-cooked, add the turkey and brown it a little - don't have to get it totally browned yet. Add the can of beans, the salsa, stir. Add red pepper flakes - careful how much, this will take some trial-and-error. I way over-peppered my most recent batch. - and stir those in too. It should be pretty liquid-y at this point; slap a lid on, turn the heat down, and let it simmer for awhile. I usually check it after ten minutes, maybe give it another five minutes after that, maybe not. Once it's reduced to a consistency you like, serve it up! I usually put mine over brown rice, which helps to soften the bite of the peppers a bit, and adds a different texture to the meal.

Sweet_Talker, I know I've got some pics on my camera...I took them for my SO cause it's a long-distance relationship and I know he wanted to see me all dressed up. I'll post once I've got the pics off the camera. :)

Cats tongue
02-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd jump in and say hi!

How have your guys' days been?

Mine was so-so. Had an assignment due and I had an exam. Then I studied for the next two exams I have tomorrow. Grrr.... I hate midterm season.

Elerine
02-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Hey girls

That turkey recipe sounds tasty as! I'll definitly try it soon. As for studying and exams, here in Australia, we are only just gearing up to start uni for the year. O Week is next week (week long beer fest, and also crazy recruitment time for AIESEC) and then lectures start in earnest on Mon 26th.

Good luck with your exams...I'm glad I don't have any for another 6 months!!

Kylie

Elerine
02-17-2007, 03:11 AM
PS - you will all be glad to hear that i finally tried Cottage Cheese!! It looks so gross, I had to really convince myself to try some. BUT - it tastes like cream cheese to me, so I really like it! I have been adding it to my wraps instead of philly. I have discovered the problem with wraps is that there is so much salad and so little bread I get hungry quickly afterward. Any suggestions?

Kylie

Cats tongue
02-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Good for you. I need to try some cottage cheese.

What else do you put in your wraps? Like what kind of veggies? If you use some really nutrient dense veggies it might help. Like spinach instead of lettuce.
I like wraps with spinach tomatoe, cucumber and hummus.

All my midterms are done! And I'm home for reading break. YAY!!!! I'm at home though, and it's a little lonely right now (the family is busy with their lives).... I just finished pigging out on chocolate chips and it's not even noon! I feel so gross.

Ugh.

Hopefully the rest of the week will go better. How was everyone else's weekend?

Jennifer 3FC
02-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Try and add some more protein to your wraps. If you like deli meat, turkey is great. Back in my meat eating days, I liked sliced grapes, turkey and light laughing cow cheese wraps. YUM!

Elerine
02-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Hey!

Thanks for the tips. In often do put turkey in the wraps, its soooo tasty! I will try english silverbeet in my next round of wraps. It's a smaller leaf, and is much more palatable IMO, than regualar icky spinach! I love Laughing Cow so much - I could eat the 8 portions in one go! (I dont - anymore... :) )

Thanks again. Woo - I had carrot sticks and tzatziki (sp?) and some cottage cheese today more morning tea. It was yummo!

Kylie

Elerine
02-21-2007, 05:56 AM
Hey - where did everybody go?

Kylie

littleflip66
02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Hi from the Philippines! I'm really glad I found this group (if for nothing else, it's helping me procrastinate, I have two exams tomorrow). I graduated from college last year, but now I'm in med school and still living in a dorm. That means I'm still eating the same crappy food, staying up really late, and not exercising enough (or at all at this point). I wish I had the resources to exercise and eat right...any suggestions? There's no gym here, which was what I was used to at my old school, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Nikaia
02-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Heya all. I was at my mom's over the four day weekend, sorry for the LOA. ;) Also, had a midterm due last Wed and again yesterday (different class) so I've been pretty busy. Luckily, midterms are over now. Just gotta keep slogging a few more weeks and that's it for the quarter.

I really like cottage cheese, once I can get past the texture. It really does look gross, doesn't it? I try to get the least-liquidy stuff I can, and that helps, cause it looks more like pellets of cheese than white puke. Sorry for the visual! :P

Anyway, hi Flip, and there are definitely ways to exercise without access to a normal gym. I don't go to my campus gym - way too filled with 100-lb fluffys who wear makeup to work out and frat boys grunting at each other in Neanderthal-speak. Instead, I'm doing DDR at home, and have a few exercise DVDs that I rotate on. Eating right is similar - even at dining halls, there are bad and not-so-bad options, and you can also squirrell away food in your room to work with during your midnight study sessions. :)

Talk to you guys later!

MotivatedToLose
02-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi-
I am a freshman in college and am desperate to FINALLY lose weight after being heavy my entire life. I weigh 158lbs. and would like to get down to 128-135lbs. eventually. I am 18 years old, never had a boy friend, or a kiss, and I can not help but feel that it is because I'm fat. I'm a pretty girl, but I'm also the fat girl. Going out (or even staying in) is hard when all of my friends look like super models, never set foot in a gym, and eat pizza, cookies, and ice cream constantly. I always feel left out when they go out for ice cream or are snacking on chips and watching tv. I can't seem to control myself in those situations. Plus the food in my school cafeteria sucks and I always feel awakard at the gym--like everyone is wondering why the fat girl is even bothering. All I really want is to be thin. If I want it SO badly, then why can't I seem to stay committed and lose the weight. I'm hoping this website will help keep me accountable. I'm still trying to figure out how this whole thing works...so if you guys have any advice please let me know!

Cats tongue
02-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey all!

I haven't been posting... Just lurking. I'm visiting family right now, so I've been busy with friends and chillaxing as well as some (gasp!) studying.

Hee hee.

Anyway... I saw a therapist today about some of my disordered binge eating. She gave me some exercises to do when I feel the need to binge. One of them worked really well, and I'm almost looking forward to being able to use it. :)

Hey MotivatedToLose.... Just so you know I'm a second year college student and I too have never had a boyfriend. I bet you that your not having a boyfriend has very little to do with being "fat" partly because, looking at your weight, you aren't really big for your height.

I know for me the problem stems from being unbearable shy around guys for most of my life. I also don't put myself out on the line (I'm terrified of rejection!)...

And it's hard when you have great looking friends who don't seem to put any effort into being thin. But instead of being resentful (I've been there) try and watch what they do around food, what's their relationship with it? Do they stop when they're full? Eat mostly fruits and veggies? Try and immulate the ones who have a healthy relationship with food (eat a few meals a day, listen to their hunger/fullness levels...)

And if you want a buddy who you can be accountable with, just send me a PM! :) I'm always up for a new buddy.

Cats tongue
02-24-2007, 12:00 PM
**bump**

sweet_talker
02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
sorry Kylie, I've been in Montreal. I got back last night...it was soooo fun. I'm pretty sure I didn't even gain any weight which would be remarkable considering the amount of rich foods (eating out a lot) and all the drinking :p Welcome littleflip and motivatedtolose, I hope you can both acheive your goals!! Keep posting on here, it's great motivation.

As for the lack of boyfriends motivatedtolose, don't feel like your situation is uncommon, it's really random for everyone and I'm sure it's not because of your weight! As much as the media wants to tell us that there's only one size for attracting males it's stupid -- people of every size can find someone, being a size 0 doesn't automatically equal having a boyfriend. And for being around friends like that, I know, I have them, it can suck sometimes but eating chips and icecream all the time will eventually catch up with them.

helomaa
02-25-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm a senior in college now, and luckily this year I live off-campus. I lost about twenty pounds my sophomore year, but then put ten back on since then. I'm going to graduate school in the fall and I don't want all this weight holding me back from meeting new people and making new friends. The school cafeteria was horrible, but now I have problems with my room being right off of the kitchen. It's always there, tempting me! My housemates are all relatively health-conscious, so we don't keep junk food in the house. We eat plenty of vegetables and fish. I feel like this time I will stick with my new lifestyle. My school's gym is brand new and really nice. I've finally gotten over my fears of working out in public and I even joined a yoga class. Even though I am the largest girl in the yoga class, I am sticking with it. As much as I say I am doing all of this for me, I still harbor a small opinion that if I lose enough weight, the right kind of men will notice me. I've gone out on dates before, but they were with men whom I knew weren't good enough for me. Being 22, I feel like I should be with someone. My sister is engaged, and my friends all have boyfriends. Heck, I don't even want a boyfriend. I have so many plans for my future that just don't involve a relationship right now. I just want to be flattered and flirted with by men my own age (and not older perverts that whistle from their trucks). How do you all deal with these kind of feelings?

Elerine
02-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi helomaa!

Welcome to the thread! Sometimes it takes a while to get into the right headspace, doesn't it? I've been moaning that I need to lose weight since high school, ans I've never done anything about it. It's taken me until now to really get moving, I can afford the gym (just!), and I am making the right ood choices.

I can sympathise about wanting to be loved - although I'm really in no position to be (I'm in an 18 month strong relationship). And the blokes whistling from trucks - yuck! I get that. I just give em the finger and tell em to ...ahem...go away. :P
Good luck with everything - and how goes the yoga class? I havent tried that yet, but I'd like to.

And how was Montreal, Sweettalker? I don't even know where that is, but it sounds cool!

Kylie

BriarRose20
02-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Wow, Montreal sounds fantastic! Wish I could vacation there. Hello College ladies, glad I found this thread…I was a bit lost…and still am.

Hmm…well I suppose a bit about me, and why I’m here. My mother and I are two chicks on a mission to be healthier! And I am my mother’s motivator (lucky me). When she found out she had high blood pressure, we knew something needed to be done, since that is very uncommon for the women in our family. Luckily I found this site and I was inspired by the 3 chicks, where we could communicate easily and be inspired by others.

Although I’ve found that I have a harder time motivating myself than I do my mother. Usually I am a hardcore person; I absolutely adore exercise and athletics. It’s a passion of mine. Except lately I haven’t been doing much. Normally I am a health nut as well…although lately I’ve been eating a lot of sugar. And I am assuming that this whole eating more sugar amounts to getting tired faster, becoming lazy, and not wanting to do much. I would like to say that this is just a phase, but the fact that it’s been a month, or maybe two now surpasses that excuse…after Christmas and New Years everything just sort of fell apart. I don’t mean to be tooting my own “I’m lazy,” tune, but I need motivation, someone to kick me in the buttock. Also I have a bad habit of poor time management skills, which I am desperately trying to mend. I was hoping that chatting with you all would help me out a bit. Anyways that’s all for now, I hope everyone has a wonderful week ahead of them.

Take care of yourselves,
TTFN (Ta Ta For Now)
-Briar Rose:carrot:

p.s. Also don’t worry about the boyfriends, they will come…I have been single for about four years now, make that five if nothing happens this year. But I never had a boyfriend when I was supper skinny either so it rarely has anything to do with your weight. My only advice is to put yourselves out there in the body you have because you may not reach your goals if you don’t accept yourself for who you are. And all of you seem very lovely from your posts, so go get ‘em ladies.;)

sweet_talker
02-26-2007, 06:23 PM
helomaa you sound like your pretty well set to get healthy now with the gym and the ability to cook your own meals. If having a fridge so close to you is tempting maybe you should put something on the fridge that would make you think twice before grabbing something out of it. Whistles from people out of cars are funny...I mean, what exactly are they hoping for as a response? For you to run behind the car and latch onto the bumper :lol: I just ignore stuff like that.

Kylie: wow 18 months, that's a long time. :) I don't think I've ever been in a relationship that long, good for you. Montreal was AMAZING. It's a city in Eastern Canada of around 3 million and its gorgeous! It's arguably the best place in Canada to go clubbing and out to bars and stuff. It had a great nightlife. I want to go back ASAP. haha.

Briar Rose What a pretty name. That's nice of you to jump in and be your mother's motivator. I'm sure it is nice to have both of you working towards a goal, hey? Sugar is my downfall!!! Ahhh. It's hard to kick. I'm not there yet and I don't think I ever will be. I have one of the worst sweet tooths I've ever seen...but it's very satisfying haha.

Reeveso: Welcome, I hope you get some help in the food department from your mom. Working at a restaurant and eating healthy is hard I'm sure...I don't have to do that till summer (I'm going to be a waitress) I don't know how I'll deal.

I had a huge cinnamon bun. It was delicious. I don't even feel guilty. Ooooh nooooooo. But it's in Fitday. As long as I'm accountable and stick to a 80-20 (eat healthy 80% of the time at least)...I don't think I'm ever going to be someone who eats healthy all the time.

Cats tongue
02-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Hey All!

Wow, lots of new people. So cool. I can't believe reading break is over and I'm back at school already. Plus I have a cold! Ugh, this is gonna be a tough week.

helomaa - I totally understand those feelings. I don't think I want a serious relationship, but I would love for guys to flirt with me. And not in a sleazy way either, or have the old perverts try and hit on me. Or guys in trucks...

BriarRose20 - Good for you to do this with your mom. It's always good to have a buddy. :) My downfall is also sugar, it's terrible habit. My goal for the rest of the semester is to stay away from sweets (baked goods) and replace them with fruits.

Reeveso - It's always hard when your eating habits are different from family and friends. You just gotta try and stick with it. Believe me I've been a vegetarian for four years and it's always been hard to prepare my own meals when my family is all eating the same food.

helomaa
02-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Wow, thanks for such nice responses. Briar Rose, that sounds great that you're doing this with your mom! My current weight loss buddy is my sister, but if any of you all have sisters close in age you can just guess how many times we argue. Still, it's nice having her help, and I'm sure your mom is grateful for your help.

zuluprincess
02-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey guys. This i my first time posting to this thread. I'm a third year B.Sc student in South Africa. It's my final year and i'm on a mission to lose weight before graduation next year. I also want to go on and study medicine, so you can see why it's so important for me to lose weight. I couldn't exactly tell a patient to lose weight if i'm fat myself if you know what i mean. Anyway, i live on-campus and it can be pretty tough sticking to a diet when most of the meal options have fries, lots of oil, pies and mashed potatoes. But I'm managing somehow. I put on about 15 kgs (33lbs) in my first year and a half and now i'm down about 11 kgs (24lbs) from that. I still hav an extremely long way to go but i've broken it up into short term goals so that it doesn't seem so daunting. I choose all the healthiest options without the carbs (unless its brown bread or brown rice) and i'm trying to go to the gym 5 dyas a week. But i do a lot of extracurricular activities and i also do an extra subject, so i don't always manage to stick with it.

I'm really glad i found this thread becuase i feel like i'm not the only one dealing with these problems. Good luck to everyone. Ciao for now...

Nikaia
02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Whistles from people out of cars are funny...I mean, what exactly are they hoping for as a response? For you to run behind the car and latch onto the bumper

You wouldn't believe some of the...exchanges...I've had with people in vehicles. One time, I was driving from my home in Fairfield to Walnut Creek for a performance I was giving on flute (this was back in high school) and I spent the entire half hour drive playing "leapfrog" with these two guys in a brilliant yellow convertible. Flirting with our cars, basically. They kept making the "phone" sign with their hands. I think they were asking me for my number. How the heck was I supposed to give it to them??? :crazy:

In other news, I finally got a new prescription for my antidepressants, so I should be doing a bit better soon. AND I'm FINALLY cleaning my room!!! The floor hasn't seen daylight in months. Since I moved in really. In September. ;) It's a total wreck and I have finally reached the "fed UP!" point.

Elerine
02-28-2007, 11:56 PM
hey everyone!

Oh my - I've gone back to uni this week, and I am FLAT OUT!! I can't believe it is Friday tomorrow already! Wow.

Ok, here goes:

SweetTalker: 18 months and it hasnt been a struggle. We might as well be married. :) (I don't think I'd mind either!)

Welcome Zulu! South Africa - that's so cool. Everyone I've met from South Africa has been really lovely. What do you do outside of Uni?

Nikaia - I know what you mean about the floor! I was seriously suprised to discover what the colour of my carpet was when I finally cleaned the floor!

BriarRose - I never really 'decided' to lose weight, I just became sick of the life I was living, and gradually I'm changing that. I sometimes have trouble motivating myself too, but lately, there has been some sort of quiet determination. I used to rely on other people to motivate me, I left posts everywhere asking for people to kick my butt too! Don't worry - I suspect that the more results I see, the more motivated I get. Maybe it'll be the same for you.

Reeveso - I live with my bf, and all he eats is junk! It can be difficult sometimes cant it! Perhaps you could go shopping with your mum. Do the reverse of what I did as a kid - Instead of sneaking a chocolate into the trolley, sneak some nuts or something! Keep talking to her about it. If she sees how much t would mean to you, she might add some healthy choices too.

Phew. I think that's everyone for now. If not, I apologise - I will catch you next time. Good luck with everything girls!

Kylie

SillyFluff
03-01-2007, 06:11 AM
I'm sorry Ive been slacking yall. I've been lurking but not posting. I just have no time. I'm about to quit my second job becuase it is just too much for me. I work full time at an elementary school and I go to school at night...I can't keep my weekend job too...its just too much.

Now to disappoint everyone...I fell off the wagon. Things have been so stressful. I just havent cared for some reason. And add to that I've been sick and am still trying to get over whatever this crud is that I got from those little pitri dishes (kids). Now the new issue is lice. BLECH!! It sounds nasty saying it. I've been checking my head constantly because I do not want it. LOL And we've had a small confined breakout in the 3rd grade class I am in. SCARY. But anyhoow. I'm going grocery shopping this weekend and I'm gonna pick up healthy foods and I need to get more water because I'm out LOL.

I do need someone to help keep me accountable. I'm trying to force myself to walk in the mornings again but I'm so tired in the morning. Maybe I can do it in the afternoon when I get home from work...before I go to class. I've got to do something. I know that. Anyone wanna help me out and like email daily and whatnot? I do check my email daily. Like we can share foods/exercise/thoughts for the day?

PM me if someone wants to.

Cats tongue
03-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey everyone. How are you all doing?

Oh I had a terrible day yesterday. My cold/sinus thing turned into a huge hacking dry cough and I just couldn't get in under control (very embarrassing when you cough in class...). Then when i went to work (Tim Hortons) I just couldn't help myself and ended up eating tonnes of tim bits (the doughnut holes..) and cookies and hot chocolate. It was gross, and probably didn't help my cold either.

But today is a new day, and a new month! I have a bunch of goals I want to make this month and I am determined to meet them. It'll be a rough start since I'm still all hacking up phlem and gross stuff... but I will get them done!

Zuluprincess: South Africa? Wow that's so cool. It's tough when you don't have good food choices to lose any weight, but I'm sure you'll manage!

Nakaia - hee hee hee, that's funny, they were projecting their flirting from their car to your car.

Elerine: Ahhh... That's awesome that you have such a committed relationship. :) Good for you for sticking to eating healthy even if he isn't.

sillyfluff - Don't worry I lurk and don't post a lot. It's too bad about falling off the wagon though, that's always really depressing when i do it. But it's so good of you to come and post here and be honest about what happened. :) Congrats. If you want I can be an e-mail buddy. When I get a change I'll PM you (gotta leave for class in a minute...).

LookingForHope16
03-04-2007, 04:20 AM
How has everyone been?

sweet_talker
03-04-2007, 01:19 PM
pretty good LookingForHope...I've had 3 days (that doesn't seem like much but it's huge because I've been months with having them EVERY SINGLE DAY) without baked goods. And I've been fitting exercise into places.

How have YOU been? :)

Rockie86
03-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Finally found this thread haha... I'm pretty new to the forum and I didn't even see all the threads at the bottom of the support groups forum till today. :p Well, better late than never!! I'm in my third year of uni this year (almost done it, cannot wait); I'm living in a hotel-style residence, which is far and away better than the traditional res. I don't have to eat at meal hall!!!! I have a fridge and a microwave, and there is a shared kitchen for the floor, which is awesome. The last two years I was in a traditional residence, and I had to eat at meal hall, which was all you can eat, three meals a day - and full of junk food. The only healthy option that I was willing to touch (some of the food was just not fit for human consumption) was salad, which was not always an option. Brown lettuce? No thanks. I survived on cereal, salad, and sandwiches that I made up from the salad/sandwich bar. Not a whole lot of variety, and I gained about 20 pounds my freshman year, before I learned to stay far away from burgers and fries and ice cream. I lost it again that summer, but slowly and surely it creeped up on me again. This year I am eating healthy and trying to exercise more, since my res is literally two seconds from the gym complex, which is so great. The only thing I needed was some support, and now hopefully I've found it!! :carrot:

cagesorwings
03-11-2007, 11:33 PM
hi guys, I'm gonna join you :)
I'm a freshman at school in the city and I am, unfortunately, in a very bad state right now.
I began college about 165 lbs, and the first week or so, while I was getting used to all the walking and all the adrenalin and nerves were making me not able to eat as much... I lost maybe 7 lbs? So I figured, wow, it's easy to not gain weight in college... oops :-\
so here I am, the middle of 2nd semester, at 185 lbs. I've been okay with the gym this semester, definitely a lot better than last... unfortunately I have trouble keeping up motivation. One week I will go 5 days in a row, but then the next week I'll end up going none...
I think I've finally decided I need to keep strict track of calories, so I'm in the process of working out an eating plan, taking into account the various dining hall options, and trying to commit myself to going to the gym as much as possible. Unfortunately, I just took on an internship so I think I might have a bit of an issue making it to the gym as much as before but I am really going to try as hard as I can!
I'm going on a trip to Miami in July, so I have about 19 weeks to get down to my goal: below 150 lbs & toned. That means that if I lose 2 lbs on average a week, I can definitely reach my goal.
I just have motivation issues... hopefully you guys can help.
So here's my sum up:
Current weight: 185 lbs
Goal weight: 150 lbs
Height: 5'8"
Time to goal: 19 weeks
Ahhh!

Rockie86
03-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi cagesorwings! I can totally understand the on-off gym thing, I do the exact same thing. It's really hard to make time for it. Have you ever tried group fitness classes? They offer them at most university gyms that I've been to, and they're relatively cheap for students. They're a good way to get an hour in because it's not the same thing every time, and you're not completely on your own. Another way to help you go more often is to find a workout buddy, since if you feel like you're letting someone down if you don't show up, you're not as likely to skip it. And those group things are a good way to meet people too! :D

LookingForHope16
03-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Wanted to give it a bump and see how everyone was!!

Rockie86
03-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Auuuuggggh I hate life right now. They say third year is the worst... I really hope that's the case because I don't think I can take much more than this. I wrote up my list of all the school work that I have to do before classes are over... there are more things on the list than days in which to do them. Not even exaggerating. :stress: Why is it that profs all think you have nothing else to do besides their assignments? I wish they could clue in that I am in 5 other classes other than theirs. :cry: Feeling very overwhelmed right now.

sweet_talker
03-19-2007, 08:32 PM
:hug: Rockie...you'll get through this. Pace yourself.

cagesorwings: your goal definitely seems doable. Planning out how you're going to achieve it is soooo important!!!

Hope everyone's doing well.

katerina
03-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi! I think this is an awesome idea to have a college thread...being in college is a challenge in itself! I have hardly enough time to sleep, let enough time to work out everyday! I'm a sophomore in college, and I joined because I gained a little more than the "freshman 15" and really need to make health my top priority again. I was an athlete in highschool, and definately miss that motivation to keep in shape. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to getting to know you all! ~Katerina

LookingForHope16
03-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Rockie -- you will get through this! don't freak out !!!!

Cats tongue
03-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey guys.

Oh Rockie, I know school is tough right now, but you'll get through it, don't worry. :)

Sounds like a good goal cagesorwings... do you have an eating/exercise plan to lose 2lbs a week?