100 lb. Club - January NSV's

View Full Version : January NSV's

rockinrobin
01-01-2007, 10:43 AM
I hope no one minds, I'm taking the plunge and starting this month's thread. Let's hope it gets filled up quickly with inspiring NSV's. I for one find this to be one of my favorite threads. It's thrilling to see everyone's victories! For those of you who are not familiar with the term, NSV stands for Non Scale Victory. As in any progress you've made that doesn't necessarily relate to the scale, such as a compliment, fitting into clothing better, making a healthier choice and the such.

I was sitting on the couch last night and my DH comes over and lays his head down on my lap (aww), anyway he kinda lands harder then he intended to and hits some BONE. And says "Wow, when did you get bones like this? What happened to the rest of you?" Cool, very cool.

Okay ladies bring em on, bring em on!!!

Newlifestyle
01-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Happy New Year,
That was an awesome compliment your husband gave you. Way to go

lilybelle
01-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Last night my DH had on a new pr. of OU sleeppants. This is where I graduated at. I said," I like those, might have to steal them". He laughed and said "they'd be too big for you". Yippee, he can keep them. LOL.

robin, WTG on the bones. I can't help but feel mine sometimes, they were buried for so long. LOL

jtammy
01-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Woohoo robin, I love to feel bone where I've only felt fat before. :carrot:

okiechick
01-01-2007, 11:47 AM
There are bones under all of this???? I would settle for feeling some muscle. :)
Way to go! I bet you were grinning from ear to ear (I would have)!

LisaMarie71
01-01-2007, 11:50 AM
I love the bone NSV, robin!! I had one yesterday too, because I realized I can pretty much always see my collarbone now without actually TRYING to poke it out.

I had an NSV that was kind of a backhanded compliment the other day, but it's pretty funny. I hugged my grandfather, whom I don't see very often, and he held onto me for a little longer and said "You're getting down to normal size. Your mom's getting down to normal human size too!" (My mother has recently lost a lot of weight too). "Normal human size" -- that cracked me up. As if my mother and I were mutants before we lost the weight. He meant no harm, of course -- he's 96 and he just says whatever he thinks! :lol:

Speaking of my mom, she had a GREAT NSV a few weeks ago and I just have to share it. She went to visit my sister during her class, and one of the 8th graders said to my sister after she left, "Your mom must work out too." For a kid to say something like that is a pretty big deal, especially for a woman in her sixties who actually does NOT work out! :lol:

WindyCityChick
01-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Congrats to Robin and Lilybelle on your great NSVs! I have an NSV and a SV to report.

First, the NSV. I'm looking for a new job in the new year, so I thought I'd try to figure out what I can wear on an interview. I have a beautiful gray suit that I've hung onto even though I haven't been able to wear it for a least 5 years now. Tried it on this morning, and it fits beautifully, I can even button the jacket.

Now for the SV - I stepped on the scale this morning, and I have officially lost 50 pounds. Which means I am over 1/3rd of the way to meeting my goal weight. A great way to start the new year.

108tolose
01-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Great NSV's (and a great SV too Rachel!) everyone!

My husband is working today and my children love to graze when they are home. They are both constantly in the kitchen screaming "Mommy, I want..." (they're 2 and 3). Their morning snack was popcorn. I have serious control issues with popcorn, but that's what they were screaming for. So, I made a bag, poured some in each of their bowls, then threw the rest in the GARBAGE without even a taste. The smell is making me hungry, but it's lunch time anyway :)

Sheila53
01-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Awesome NSVs already and we're only one day into the New Year!! About the bones, even now I feel some and wonder if I have a growth. :lol:

So my NSV actually has nothing to do with my body, but lots to do with my mind, I guess. I paid off our car this morning--three years into a five-year loan. Feels good to have that payment gone, and now I can stick that money into paying off the house loan faster.

JennyWenny
01-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Great NSV's and SV's, everyone! :dancer: I love reading them. They really help me stay motivated. Helps me keep in mind what I have to look forward too.

CLCSC145
01-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Great ones, everybody!

I had my first person notice that I've lost weight yesterday. My dad! I walked into my parent's house in some new jeans and he said, "Wow, you look great, kid!" It's so nice when people start noticing your efforts...

boaterswife
01-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Kuddos to you all! Keep up the awesome work, and the January NSV thread will be even longer than the December one was!

Eiluj
01-01-2007, 07:18 PM
I don't have an NSV (yet!) but I wanted to congratulate all of you on your great ones. And in replying, I'm subscribing to the thread so I don't forget about it. :)

Julie

RememberHowToSmile
01-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I've been hanging out with my sister and her friends a lot lately. (We are only 14 months apart and went to school with the same people so I've know them all my life). She told me this morning that when she was talking to one of the guys he said that he had been looking at the slide shows I posted (one from my college graduation in May and one from last week) and made some comment on how I had lost a lot of weight since my graduation and looked really good. This is the third one of her friends to make this comment in the last month. They tell her because they don't want to offend me by saying I was fat but it always brings a smile to my face.

Ivanna B. Skinny
01-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Those are some great NSVs you all! Reading your NSVs is always so motovating!! I have a small one... Before Christmas I bought a pair of really nice dress pants on clearance at Lane Bryant...but they were too tight! I could bi=utton them, but there were unsightly things going on, so I bought a pair of SPANX( has anyone else used these little MIRACLES???) Any way, yester day I wore those puppies w/o my SPANX, and they looked great. I was too, too happy!

Mrs Quadcrew
01-01-2007, 08:54 PM
My "weigh in" day is Friday, and always before I couldn't keep away from the scale....several times a dayI would get on it and then be sooo disappointed. I am real proud of the fact that the scale is setting there in the bathroom, and I am able to go in there and NOT stop and step on it!! For me, this is a HUGE deal. I am ONLY going to check it on Fridays!!

congrats to all of you on the NSV's you have had so far this month!!

CLCSC145
01-01-2007, 10:21 PM
NSVs are no place for being humble, right?

May I just say my skin looks AMAZING! :rofl: Not only am I eating less and exercising, but I also cut 99% of processed food from my diet. My face has never looked better. I glow, darn it. :D

lilybelle
01-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Congratulations everyone on the awesome NSV's. I love reading them.

CLCSC, You're right, this is no place to be humble. Anything that makes us feel a little better about ourselves, is great to share.

JennyWenny
01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
With today being our last day off before heading back to school/work, I took the kids out to eat. They wanted to go to Dairy Queen. Uh,Oh. I can just taste the cheeseburgers already.

So, I go to the bank and then we to go Dairy Queen. The kids get there kids meal and i order........*drumroll* a grilled chicken salad. :carrot: Any other time, I would be right along with the kids and probably even stealing fries on top of it.

And to top it off, I wanted something sweet after eating the salad. So, instead of grabbing the chocolate my kids got for Christmas, I went and got me some fruit. :dancer:

Mrs Quadcrew
01-02-2007, 03:17 PM
I just got back from my first 30 minute walk! I cannot remember the last time I walked briskly for 30 minutes ON PURPOSE!:carrot:

SuchAPrettyFace
01-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Two years ago I went to Florida for the first phase of the clinical trial I am currently doing. They took all our levels, and I had been unemployed & therefore eating lots of cheap things, my favorite breakfast being...EGGS!!! So when I was there my cholesterol was 220!!! :eek:

I just got my labs back from my visit to Mayo Clinic on Sandi's birthday (December 12), and my cholesterol is....191!!!

How did I do it? I switched out my regular eggs for Eggland's Best, and don't eat them more than twice a week. I also have an oatmeal breakfast at least twice a week. I'm really happy that my cholesterol went down w/o pills, and the only levels I have to work on now are triglycerides & of course renal anemia, which I think might be there no matter what I do just like the blood pressure.

So, from 220 to 191!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

LisaMarie71
01-02-2007, 07:04 PM
My NSV today is that I realized again how addicted I'm becoming to running. I had all these things I had to do after school and I was trying desperately to get home and beat the dark so I could have a 30-minute jog. I ended up doing half the jog in the dark, but there was a full moon. My feet were hurting, I had a headache, and I had a bunch more groceries to put away, but I ran anyway. I HAD to. Before I changed my life, I would've looked for any excuse NOT to run or exercise in any way.

Yay for ALL of us for these great NSVs!!! :)

rockinrobin
01-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Great NSV's everyone and so many of them!!!!!! It is so great to see.

As my youngest daughter, almost 15, gave me a hug and kiss goodnight last night she said "Ma, you're so small!" Small, ha, me small? Of course she did hug the smallest part of me - my waist. Good think she didn't hug my calves. I can guarantee you there would not have been ANY small comments.:dizzy:

lilybelle
01-03-2007, 09:09 AM
These are great. Congratulations everyone.

Last night me and DD were getting ready to go to Walmart. I went and changed shirts to a red/white striped Tommy Hilfiger shirt. My 14 yr. old DD said "mom, I love that shirt on you, you look so skinny and it makes your boobs look big". LOL, I said "my boobs are big and she said "not anymore". These comments were very sweet coming from her as she never mentions my weight loss.

wanna b thin
01-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Great NVS stories, Congratulations everyone.

Here is mine. When I gained back the 70 lbs I lost in 2000-2001 I saved all the small summer clothes I had bought. We are leaving for Cancun next Saturday and I have been afraid to try them on. (If they did not fit I was in big trouble, you can't buy summer clothes in Michigan in Januray). Well I fianlly pulled out the tote on Monday, tried them on and they fit!!! I'm not quite back to the weight I was then, but I'm sure my Curves workouts have helped the body tone. This is great news for everyone in Cancun cause they sure did not want to see me nekked LOL.

boaterswife
01-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Fabulous NSV's and such inspiration from all of you!! I get my daily charge from reading them! Keep it up, we can do this!

Mrs Quadcrew
01-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Day #2 of walking for 30 minutes! I am not sure the dog is very happy about our new routine though!:tantrum:

Sandi
01-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Great NSV's everyone!!! :D

Lifeguard
01-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Well today I had to go into Herbal Magic & put things on hold until I find a job (we just can't afford it now that it is January & the government starts to steal what they think is there share again! - lol!).

This afternoon I got a call for an interview!!! It is for an office manager position for a chiropractic and alternative health care office. It would be perfect for my skill set! Now I just need to perfect my weight excuse speech - they very specifically noted in the job profile they are looking for someone who appears professional, vital and reflects their healthy living philosophies. I know, I know, they can't not hire me based on my weight but I feel I need to at least acknowledge to them that I am not at an ideal weight but that I do live a healthy lifestyle & am always looking at ways to improve. Any suggestions?

GirlyGirlSebas
01-03-2007, 06:50 PM
I feel I need to at least acknowledge to them that I am not at an ideal weight but that I do live a healthy lifestyle & am always looking at ways to improve. Any suggestions?

Hi Lifeguard,

I do think you are on the right track to bring up the subject yourself. It may seem like a little thing, but always try to phrase everything positively when interviewing....instead of saying your not at an ideal weight (not=negative,) maybe say something about being in the process of improving your health and then tell them how you're doing it (like losing 33lbs so far!) ....through better nutrition, exercise, etc....and, I maybe even bring up that you can be a positive role model for the clientele.

I will be thinking about you tomorrow and wish you well. Please let us know how the interview goes.

LisaMarie71
01-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Once again, great NSVs! They just keep coming! I'm so proud of all of you! :)

Lifeguard, good luck with your interview! Maybe you should mention the fact that you've lost weight recently and that you're actively trying to get your body to a healthier state by living a really healthy lifestyle. They'll have to acknowledge the commitment you've made if you let them know that you're not only TRYING to lose weight but you actually have, and quite a bit!! Everyone knows how difficult it is to lose weight, and it's impressive that you have. Surely they'll recognize that!

Several people noticed my weight loss today for some reason, so that was great. But my NSV today was that I used the fitness center at the high school where I teach, and I haven't used it before because I was always too embarrassed to work out in front of students. Today, the whole flippin' baseball team came in to use the weight machines, and I didn't even care! I just worked it out on the elliptical and got all sweaty anyway. Nothing stands in the way of my workouts these days!!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Hellow Friends!

I have my very first NSV ever! It looked like I wasnt going to get to start my workout today afterall....I've had a terrible headache for most of the day, my boss asked me to work late, my DH needed to go to the bank and the grocery store and my daughters need to be fed, bathed and put to bed. I couldnt go to the 'Y' for the treadmill or walk around the neighborhood and I didnt want to wait until too late tonight as I wouldnt be able to sleep. In the past, I would have just put off the workout until tomorrow or whenever...but, drumroll please!.........I pulled out the Walk Away The Pounds DVD and did the 3 mile walk for the first time ever....I couldnt do all of the moves for the whole time...I had to stop and walk some...and I didnt use the weights...and my legs now feel like jello...but I stuck it out. :carrot: I'm on my way to weight loss now!

108tolose
01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
FANTASTIC NSV'S!!

Yesterday I did 3.33 minutes on the elliptical machine. That thing kicks my butt something horrible and I don't know why.

Today I walked a mile at lunch. My plan at the gym was to do a 35 minute effort at 4-5 walk on the treadmill, but the only treadmill available is the one that I can't stand...so I hit the bike and actually worked harder than I'd planned. After 35 minutes and with jelly legs, I went over to talk to my husband and he told me to get on the elliptical next to him. I did...and did 4.33 minutes. I hate that thing, and I'll more than take a 1-minute improvement! I think my longest-range goal is to LOVE the elliptical!

(I'd forgotten how much I love to work out!)

MaWhit
01-03-2007, 09:55 PM
What an inspirational thread! I can't wait to add my own NSVs soon. :)

132hereIcome
01-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Bones rock! Go robin!

Congrats to all!

Well this was at the end of Dec but Iím going to count it as a Jan Ö (forgive me Iím new ;P).

I was able to walk straight down the aisle of the plane, instead of sidewise like I had to do in August. Plus the seatbelt fitÖand had some slack!!

nicolen
01-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Aren't we all doing so well...

Well, I've got one - finally.

I've got a lovely pair of pin stripe trousers that have been slowly getting too tight. The last tiem I put them on - about 6 weeks ago - I had to take them off as they were far too tight. I put them on today and they fit me absolutely perfectly! :carrot: :carrot:

rockinrobin
01-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Yessss!!!! Wat to go on the exercise front ladies and fitting into clothing - awesome!!!

And 123hereIcome, is there anything better then a seatbelt NSV?!?!?!? And bones most certainly DO ROCK. I love um!!!!!! My collarbone, prettier then any diamond necklace, WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!

Today's NSV. I'm still grinning:

I just bumped into an acquaintance this morning at the produce store. She's someone from the neighborhood. I'd seen her about 2 months ago and she commented on my weightloss. So I see her again today and she says "Wow, you're getting skinnier every time I see you. Did you have surgery?'

NESunshine
01-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Well... I started to notice yesterday that the pants I've been wearing to work...which I must say are becoming extremely tattered, were starting to be a bit loose. Back in October I had bought some new clothes for a big conference I had to go to in NYC that I never did wear because when I got them home and rationalized how I really looked in them I realized that there was nothing flattering about pants I had to lay down and suck it in to zip them... I mean really....who was I kidding, the damn pants were basically suctioned to every part of me that they touched except my ankles...and not in a good way...in a way that showed every bit of thut (thats what I call the area where thigh meets butt) and cellulite and created major unnecessary 'muffin top' and the beginnings of the never pleasurable 'camel toe'.

Since I started losing weight I haven't ventured to trying on any of my smaller clothes out of pure fear of 'muffin top' disappointment...until this morning when I ... as I like to say....grew a pair, sucked it up and pulled those pants out of the closet and onto my legs. There was no laying down and sucking in, there is no camel toe and there is minimal muffin top. The pants are snug but don't look half bad. There is enough room in the thighs that I do not need a 'thut' patrol and no 'cottage cheese' thigh is apparent. The best part about this is the size of the pants. I bought them in the regular section of the store, not the plus section. They are the biggest size in the regular section but none the less they are still not from the plus side of the store. They are an 18 Average not a 22 Plus which is what the other pants are. So today....even with my impending flu like symptoms I'm wearing my Average sized pants proud and even strapped on some heels today and feel real good about it. :carrot:

GirlyGirlSebas
01-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Way to go Sunshine! I have 3 pairs of pants that I'd like to wear on a family trip in 4 weeks. I hope I have the same awesome NSV as you!

wchs2007
01-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Really Good Nsvs..I love getting into clothes that I thought were going to be to small from me.. Its so great.. I have a habit of just going to the thrift store and looking for smaller size stuff buying them and working toward the goal of wearing them..
I guess the only new thing I have is my sons are tired of mom wearing their hoodies and nice sweats to workout in..

boaterswife
01-04-2007, 12:02 PM
108tolose, good for you! Every minute you are able to increase on that elliptical machine earns you a definite gold star! I have one too, that I use daily, and you will get to the point where it doesn't kick your butt quite so bad, just stick with it, you can do it!

123hereIcome, that's awesome! Seatbelts fitting better AND walking straight down the isle...that rocks! Believe it or not, soon you will just be walking through places and for some reason turn around and look back at it and realize you didn't even think about not fitting through. Remember asking people to scoot their chair in, etc., just knowing you wouldn't fit? Those days are almost over!

Nicolen, clothes nsv's are so fun! It's a wonderful feeling to pull out something that didn't fit before and have it look good now!

NESunshine, I'm so happy for you! I remember venturing into the missy department for the first time a couple months ago, with butterflies in my tummy hoping that I'd fit into something, I so didn't want to step into the women's department again! It's still a fresh delight every time I try something on and it fits!....and "thut".....now that's one I hadn't heard before, but definitely fits!

Yesterday I went to the local good will store to look for a couple skirts or pairs of pants to help get me through, as I want to save the big shopping for when I'm at goal! I pulled out a denim skirt in a size 12, thinking that if it's even remotely close, I'd buy it and shrink into it over the next couple months. I tried it on and it fit!! Now I am by no means a size 12. My Tommy jeans are a 14, and I do still have a couple size 16 items that fit well enough, but dang! That made my day!

MaWhit
01-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Well... I started to notice yesterday that the pants I've been wearing to work...which I must say are becoming extremely tattered, were starting to be a bit loose. Back in October I had bought some new clothes for a big conference I had to go to in NYC that I never did wear because when I got them home and rationalized how I really looked in them I realized that there was nothing flattering about pants I had to lay down and suck it in to zip them... I mean really....who was I kidding, the damn pants were basically suctioned to every part of me that they touched except my ankles...and not in a good way...in a way that showed every bit of thut (thats what I call the area where thigh meets butt) and cellulite and created major unnecessary 'muffin top' and the beginnings of the never pleasurable 'camel toe'.

Since I started losing weight I haven't ventured to trying on any of my smaller clothes out of pure fear of 'muffin top' disappointment...until this morning when I ... as I like to say....grew a pair, sucked it up and pulled those pants out of the closet and onto my legs. There was no laying down and sucking in, there is no camel toe and there is minimal muffin top. The pants are snug but don't look half bad. There is enough room in the thighs that I do not need a 'thut' patrol and no 'cottage cheese' thigh is apparent. The best part about this is the size of the pants. I bought them in the regular section of the store, not the plus section. They are the biggest size in the regular section but none the less they are still not from the plus side of the store. They are an 18 Average not a 22 Plus which is what the other pants are. So today....even with my impending flu like symptoms I'm wearing my Average sized pants proud and even strapped on some heels today and feel real good about it. :carrot:

That's awesome! And you're a hilarious storyteller! :D

WindyCityChick
01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Congrats on the clothing NSVs, they are so motivational, aren't they?!

Here's my NSV - so, I finally went to get my hair cut tonight - it's been about 4 months, but with the holidays and all, I just kept putting it off. I always hate sitting in that chair looking in the mirror, I used to think "what a horrible mirror, it makes me look heavier than I really am". Of course, the reality is that it's a perfectly accurate mirror. And today, I looked in it and realized that heck, I look a lot thinner in that mirror than I did the last time I was here. And my stylist commented on how good I looked before the haircut.

Keep those NSVs coming, I love this thread!

132hereIcome
01-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Wow are we all just awesome or what? GO US!!!!

rockinrobin: Hee hee I now love seatbelts on planes. Congrats on the acquaintance NSV!! That is the best NSV of all when someone that’s not a close friend or family notices

boaterswife: So true! I’m looking forward to the day I can walk through the sales clothes rack and not have my thighs/backend knock the clothes off the hangers. Wow, that’s great!! Personally I love fitting into certain sizes from good will because I tell myself the clothes I’m trying on have already shrunk “sizes” because of washing and drying…so I’m actually smaller then I think…hee hee

108tolose
01-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I try to find something positive, some small victory, every day. Yesterday I squeezed (and yes, I mean squeezed) into a size 18W jeans for work. They zipped, with some effort but not laying on the bed, and I tolerated them all day. I know they will only get looser and can't wait to do the same with a 16W in about 20 or so pounds!

This one is huge for me - my mom called yesterday afternoon and the brakes went out in my dad's truck. She wanted my husband to work on them. He has to work 12-hour shifts all weekend so he wanted to get it taken care of last night. On my way home from work, I had already resigned myself to not going to the gym, and was kicking myself - HARD - for not making time to walk at lunch. I pulled up and my husband's friend was here for him to work on the friend's truck, too. I started getting out of the car and my husband tells me, why don't you go get the kids and go on to the gym while I work on these trucks? I went! I would never go before if my husband didn't go, too. Instead, I changed clothes, picked the kids up at daycare and went to the gym! I've already planned to go tomorrow morning sometime closer to 9 than 12 (in case it takes longer to get my kids motivated!).

Lifeguard
01-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Today I was talking to a close friend about my nerves about my interview tomorrow & my concerns that they will only see my weight (they want someone who reflects their health oriented business). She said after some discussion that I was fortunate that I carry my weight all over and quite well and that I don't have one area that is really fat. This is a friend that can often be kind of judgemental and doesn't really do well at nicing up what she says so I feel like it is a truer perception of how I look. Anyway, it was comforting to think that they won't get distracted by my huge something! lol

GirlyGirlSebas
01-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Anyway, it was comforting to think that they won't get distracted by my huge something! lol

From your picture, it looks like you have a beautiful smile...distract them with that! :D

lilybelle
01-05-2007, 09:33 PM
While writing a check tonite at Walmart, I showed my driver's license. It says 155 lbs. on it, the same it has said for over 20 yrs. (I never changed it no matter how big I had gotten). Anyway, the cashier said "my, you've lost a lot of weight haven't you, what 25 or 30 lbs". So, I just smiled and said "yes, I have". Then it dawned on me that she must think I weigh only 125-130 lbs. Which I don't and never will. I didn't correct her, LOL. This was a great NSV,, as I don't think anyone ever guesses my wt. as less than what it is.

boaterswife
01-05-2007, 11:52 PM
How exciting, Lilybelle! Those compliments always do wonders for my self esteem and motivation. I've been wondering....how's the elliptical coming? Hang in there, you can do it!

lilybelle
01-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Kelly, that elliptical is still hard for me. I can only do like 5 min's, so still using my treadmill a lot. We have 12 puppies, so I have been very busy with them. I need to exercise more.

truelies
01-06-2007, 12:10 PM
the ellipitical, i'd love to do it but it kills my knees. i'm 19, my knees shouldn't hurt so badly. when i do squint and make it to 10 mins i burn atleast 100 calories, i can't wait to be able to stay on it for atleast 30!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I have always loved going out for dinner. My husband and I go out to dinner about once a week. I have always dreaded dieting because I knew I couldnt go to a restaurant and eat like I wanted to...I did not want to deprive myself of this enjoyment. In the past, I have gone out and eaten anything I wanted with the plan to "start over" on my diet the next morning....of course, I then had an excuse to "relax" for another day...next thing you know, I'm not on a diet at all.

I'm in my first week of my Southbeach plan. Last night was a big family birthday party for my Stepmom at a really nice seafood restaurant. Yesterday afternoon, I looked up my menu online and made my Southbeach friendly choices. And, I stuck with them! I wasnt tempted by the bread and muffins, I had water with my entree...I asked for vinagrette dressing on the side and I stuck with my planned choices! What is really amazing?..I didnt even feel deprived! I enjoyed the company and the food was secondary. I don't think food has ever been secondary for me before.

I really think I'm getting the hang of thinking about this as a lifestyle change.

boaterswife
01-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Lily, it takes a while, but your stamina for the elliptical will increase! Remember that you're using different muscles than you do on your treadmill...it's a challenge! And those darling puppies.....I keep dreaming of them! LOL!

Rhonda, good for you for sticking to your preplanned dinner choices! I've found that some of the better (healthier) choices actually taste better! Seasoned grilled shrimp is fabulous, I don't miss the deep fried, tartar sauce covered shrimp at all! Water is so good for you, but if you feel you need something else to drink, ask for some lemon to go with it. Squeeze a couple wedges into your glass, add a packet of sweet 'n low, and presto! Fat free lemonade! Keep it up!

PattyW
01-06-2007, 02:11 PM
This is one of my favorite threads.

Here's my NSVs as I approach the end of my first week of my lifestyle change

As the "social coordinator" in my family, most of our outings have always involved eating... even if it was an outdoor event I made sure there was a picnic with hamburgers or fried chicken and a desert involved.

If we went out to a movie, I made sure it was dinner and a movie, if my husband and I went to a play, concert, or a club to hear some blues singer we like, I made sure we went out to dinner first where he would have grilled chicken or salmon and I'd order steak, lobster (with butter), prime rib, etc... On vacation, I'd really go crazy, eating deserts like Bananas Foster, Cherries Jubilee, etc...

Well, we've had 3 outings since Dec. 28 and food was not the first order of business, in fact, food was not even on the itinerary. It was my suggestion the other day that we go to for a walk at a nearby national park that has walking trails through a wildlife area. When we got home, I just fixed myself a salad with roasted chicken, then went for my regular 1 mile walk in my neighborhood. I didn't even try to justify to myself that I'd already had my exercise at the national park and try to skip my regular mile walk.

My other NSVs of the week involve sweets.

Several days ago my daughter fixed a bowl of ice cream with chocolate topping and I didn't even want any. Last night she had a friend spend the night. I ordered them a pizza and made them some brownies. I did not eat any pizza and though I was tempted to eat a brownie late last night, I fought the temptation and won.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Awesome NSV's! Patty, isn't it amazing how many of our celebrations/socials/good times involve eating?

lilybelle
01-06-2007, 03:55 PM
WTG ladies, I know that for me every social occasion used to involve lots of food. Now, I try to make sure to eat before I go. A movie no longer means having popcorn or dinner out. A buffet used to be Hog Trough for me. But, last night me and DD ate at a buffet while we were shopping. (I could have waited til I got home, but not her). Anyways, I had baked chicken, 1/2 of a baked sweet potato plain and some cabbage. Did pretty well, I think.

Kelly, I make my own lemonade like that quite often and love it. I so wish I wasn't deathly allergic to shellfish now. It would work great with my LC lifestyle. I used to love crab legs, boiled shrimp and lobster. Red Lobster is my DH's favorite place to eat, it's sad, not much there for me anymore. Last time I did have the grilled trout and it was good.

Patty, my kids love pizza too. I do order it occasionally for them. I'll make my own LC pizza and am satisfied with this just fine. DH loves brownies and I make them for him and send them to work with him.

WindyCityChick
01-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Ok, yes, a lot of why I'm sticking with my weight loss plan has to do with wanting to avoid serious health problems...but let's face it, looking good in your jeans doesn't hurt. So, I am very excited to announce that I now fit into a pair of jeans that has been hanging on my closet door for motivation since October - yipee!

They are 3 sizes smaller than where I started. My old jeans have been hanging off me, but I didn't have any intermediate sizes and didn't want to invest in additional clothes that I plan to wear only for a short period. So, each week I take these jeans down, try them on, sigh, and put them back on the hanger. This week, they are off the hanger and staying on my body! (still a little tight, which means I'm fighting the dreaded muffin-top effect, but this too shall pass)

LisaMarie71
01-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Windycity, congrats on the clothing NSV! Woohoo! I was fighting that "dreaded muffin-top effect" all day today when I was shopping! :lol:

I was determined to buy some size 16 jeans and pants today, even though they're a tiny bit too small in the hips for me still. It's the whole low-waist thing that's getting me. My hips are much bigger than my waist because of that lower roll of fat that will take me a million years to get rid of! Grr!! I did manage to find some pants at Old Navy (hey, a fairly normal store!) and I bought size 16 jeans at Lane Bryant, so they fit pretty well. Yay!

My other NSV is that I upped my running time to 35 minutes today. It still floors me that I can run for that long without stopping.

As for those of you struggling with the elliptical, you'll get used to it. Everyone hates that thing at first, but then some of us start loving it. One of the VERY FIT high school students who was in the fitness center with me the other day couldn't believe I did 40 minutes on it because it wears her out after five. And she's one of our best athletes!

Justwill
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Congradulations to everyone! All of these things mean so much.
Finally, yesterday at work someone finally noticed I had lost weight and today I made it 2 minutes, 20 seconds on the elliptical! When I first started, I could only do a minute.

lilybelle
01-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Justwill, I'm right there with you on that elliptical. I say I do 5 min's. But, that is with stopping every minute or so to pant like a dehydrated dog. Then I go a little more. My legs start to feel like noodles and I can't take another step, that's when I give up and go back to my trusty treadmill. If I ever make it to 10 min's on that thing, I'll be jumping for joy. I even read my new instruction manual thinking I had it on too hard of level. Nope, it's on the easiest level. LOL.

Lifeguard
01-06-2007, 10:22 PM
These are so wonderful and motivating!

Rhonda thank you for the compliment! Hopefully my smile did it. I had the interview today - I think it went pretty well. I should find out by the end of the week - keep your fingers crossed for me!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Lifeguard, so glad the interview went well. We'll be anticipating the call to offer you the job! Ladies, I never realized the elliptical was so hard. I see people on them at the 'Y' and they go for an hour...Wow! They are in pretty good shape..maybe I'll try it one day.

Well....I did it again! I made it through the social eating temptation. Went to my nephews birthday party yesterday afternoon. I planned ahead and had my Southbeach smoothie right before we went so I wouldnt be hungry. The food looked yummy...Cuban sandwiches, chips, queso, quacamole, cake, ice cream...etc, etc, etc. I didnt eat any of it! I drank my diet soda and had fun socializing. The biggest NSV....I did this without feeling sorry for myself...and I didnt make a big deal out of it...Just said "No thanks. I'm not hungry." Wow....I think I'm getting the hang of this.

rockinrobin
01-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Girlygirl, you have no idea how I am smiling reading your post. I am soooo happy for you, you have no idea. I think you really ARE getting the hang of it. You definetly just earned yourself a victory dance. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Lifeguard good luck to you. I will definitely be keeping the fingers crossed for you. :crossed: :crossed: :crossed:

Mrs Quadcrew
01-07-2007, 04:48 PM
You go Girly!! That is awesome that you handled that party so well!!:carrot: My NSV was that I walked twice today for 30 minutes each. I didn't get the chance to do it yesteday, and I told myself then I would do double time today.....and I DID!!! I walked this morning and got my Sunday paper and then while everyone else is napping here, I went and put on my coat and gloves and went for another one this afternoon. (the first 15 minutes of the afternoon walk about KILLED my calves though - not sure what was up with that??) I am real proud of myself.....the former me would've just said heck with it, just do the one and you're good. The NEW lifestyle said NOPE - you owe me another 30 mintutes chick!:D

wchs2007
01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Rhonda.. That is great.. Cake and ice-cream I can easy turn down..
But the Cuban sandwich is another story.. I LOVE THEM...
I grew up visiting the Tampa area a lot when I was younger and my aunt always had them at her house..
Good JOB at saying NO...

MaWhit
01-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I exercised 200 minutes last week. :)

JennyWenny
01-07-2007, 06:25 PM
I exercised 200 minutes last week. :)

Alright! Way to go :dancer:

luckyducky
01-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Wooohoo!!! I got back to walking 3 miles today!! I have been walking since the 1st, but, have only been able to walk 2 miles (too slippery). Well, today the wind was cold and bitter from the NW, so I hesitated, but, I thought, if I don't walk today, it will be easier not to walk tomorrow, and so on, and so on... I DID IT!!!!!! I am determined to be a success story!!!!! DETERMINED!!!!!

Sheila53
01-07-2007, 07:51 PM
:bravo: on the exercise!

RememberHowToSmile
01-07-2007, 08:55 PM
It sounds like everyone has been doing great. Keep up the good work.

Lifeguard - I'm glade your interview went well and I hope you get the job. Good luck!

MaWhit - 200 minutes WOW! ! !

I have a couple of NSV.
First, I have been not counting my calories for about two weeks (first week I was on vacation and the second week I stayed between my sisters and brothers house because I was babysitting and other family stuff) anyways I still watched what I ate, did fairly well about not giving into temptation and did not gain any weight.

Second, when I was at my sisters she walked out of her room with a pair of PJ pants that were size medium said that she bought them and never wore them becuase she didn't realize they ran large and were too big for her (she is 5'4 and maybe 140 at the most) and asked if I wanted them. (I think she figured that if they didn't fit me now they would soon). I didn't try them on until I was back at my apartment because I didn't want the embarrassment of other people seeing them not fit. Well they fit. They were a little tight in the thighs and waist however I didn’t' expect them to even go over my hips. I probable wont start wearing them until I loose more weight and I realize they are a very large medium (and my size really is an xl) however I am still so excited.

Third, when I was at my brothers his wife’s aunt came over. She’s seem me at my largest and the last time she saw me was about 25 pounds ago. Well last time she saw me she was shocked and even more so this time. She just could not believe how well I was doing and how much I had lost. It’s always encouraging to have people notice.

Fourth, and totally not weight related however I’m still proud I went to a candle lite party over the weekend and spent less money then I expected.

Lifeguard
01-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Rememberhowtosmile - I get you on the not trying things in front of people - I'm glad the pj's fit!

I had gained a couple pounds over the holidays (but I didn't change my tracker) & today I am back down to my tracker weight - only took a week from New Year's eve (when I totally overindulged on the food & alcohol - lol). I know this is a scale victory - but I had to share, especially since my TOM is just starting & so I'm totally bloated right now!

sept15lija
01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Awesome NSV's everyone!

I went to buy jeans on Saturday...and totally shocked myself by buying size 14's...like Rememberhowtosmile's pj's, they are not "true" 14's...they are definitely cut big because generally lately I've been in a 16 or 18 depending on the manufacturer, but I was still happy. I wore them on Sunday and everyone was complimenting me! I think when I'm finally done with my weight loss and people stop commenting I am going to go into withdrawal! haha

rockinrobin
01-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Wow!!!! This forum is busy, busy, busy. I had to go to the middle of page 2 to find this thread. And they're such GREAT NSV's - they should not be hidden!!!!!

This on the other hand, not the greatest of NSV's, yeah, I'm stretching a bit, but I haven't had any in a while so I'll take it. I went for a doctor's visit yesterday and while they were taking my blood pressure they used the regular sized cuff. They didn't use the big one. I told you I was stretching.

KnitALisa
01-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Not even, Robin!! I think that's a fabulous NSV!!

lilybelle
01-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Robin, that is a great NSV. I was totally thrilled when they were able to use the regular cuff for me. It used to embarass me when they went to take my Blood pressure and would say, "oh, wait we better find the large cuff".

rockinrobin
01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks girls.

Oh Lily you made me laugh once again. It's so true though!!!! Why the heck do they have to say "Oh wait I gotta get the large cuff?" Why can't they just go get it and keep quiet? Or better yet just keep it there. You'd think that with all the obese people here in the USA, the medical profession for one would be a little more accomodating and sympathetic.

boaterswife
01-09-2007, 10:51 AM
So many new NSV's to catch up on!

RockinRobin, that is most definitely an NSV! And I hate it too....if there are that many overweight people out there, why not just leave the darned large cuff sitting there?! I've also noticed that typically the nurse who says it is far from her ideal weight as well...how does she like the comment when it's aimed towards her? UGH!

Not really an NSV, but I gotta get it off my chest! I've started buying a single pair of jeans, one size down from what I need, when I hit a new size; that way they're in the closet waiting for me, and I'm doing everything in my power to get into them! Well, I've been looking for the Tommy jeans in the style I love in my next size, a 12, for about 2-3 weeks. Mom and I went shopping yesterday and I finally found them. I also found another pair of jeans and told her I wanted to try them both on, first to see how "far off" the new size was, and second to see if I liked the other pair. She came into the next fitting room with a pair to try on and immediately got ticked off. She said they were too small for her, must be cut small, etc., and said there was no way she was buying a bigger size, she would do without. When I put them back for her I glanced at the size (shame on me, I know!) and they were the size I'm in currently. She made an off-handed comment about how she's NOT going to buy bigger jeans than I wear! She's always been in the overweight category but never really looked it. It's like I've been her guage all along, as long as she's smaller than me, all is ok. Well, now she has something to work towards!

LisaMarie71
01-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Kelly, that's actually a wonderful NSV and you shouldn't feel guilty about celebrating it!! So often, people feel good about the fact that they have a friend or family member they can always feel small compared to, you know? I've been that for friends and family members too long myself, and I'm glad they're going to have to find someone else to compare themselves to. Or better yet, they could stop doing that and just worry about their own bodies and their own health! I'm not saying that people do it in a malicious way -- I think it just becomes a habit for people to think "oh, I may need to lose a few pounds, but at least I'm not as big as HER." Too many of us have been the HER in that sentence, and we should celebrate when we lose enough weight to keep us from being put in that role anymore!! Yay for you!!! :)

My latest NSV happened when I was having dinner with my husband at a restaurant the other night. We were talking about my running, because I've progressed to running for 35 minutes at a time but I'm still rather slow. My husband is a running coach and he's absurdly fit, so I always feel a bit inferior, of course, but I know he's really happy that I've started running. I expressed my concerns about signing up for a 10k in March and joining a training team because of how slow I am, and he said "Lisa, look around. Very few of the people sitting around us could probably do what you do." He meant running for 35 minutes, of course, and I just thought...hey, that's true. Most people aren't fit enough to do that, even people who LOOK like they're in better shape than I am. So who cares how slow I am? At least I'm doing it!! It was great to hear that from him, because he's so fast!!!

lilybelle
01-09-2007, 11:35 AM
RockinRobin, Have you ever been to the hospital and have the nurse say "I don't have an Extra Large gown so I brought you 2, one for the front and one for the back". Made me want to say, "never mind, I'lll just tie this da-- sheet around me". LOL.

Kelly, I've also always been the "HER" that my sisters compared their size to. Not anymore, I'm smaller than both of them now. I saw my older sister Connie, at Christmas. I actually felt a little bad for her. She lost about 30 lbs. 10 yrs. ago and had maintained it until just recently. She's having problems in her marriage of 2 yrs. (DH is unfaithful). She has gained it all back and more. Actually the biggest I ever remember seeing her. She is the sis that has been supportive of my weight loss. My other sis, has stayed pretty much consistently at a size 14 for last 10 yrs. or so. She is happy with her size and comfortable. She has been non-supportive of my wt. loss once I got below her size. Tells me constantly that I've "gone overboard" with diet and weight loss. She tries to push fattening foods at me at any chance. Gets mad when I refuse them.

Lisa, WTG on the great NSV. I certainly can't run for 35 minutes. I can walk and that is what I do. I'll break into a run for a couple min's, get winded, slow down and repeat it every so often.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Tells me constantly that I've "gone overboard" with diet and weight loss. them.

I remember a few years back...my pastor and his wife had lost quite a bit of weight on Weight Watchers...and I thought they looked really good. My Mom and Sister-in-Law, who were both very overweight, made the comment "I think they are losing too much weight. The look skinny and unhealthy." I asked them if they were going to talk behind my back and say how bad I looked if I ever lost the weight. My Mom used to always tell my Dad, who has always been slender, that he looked better when he put a little weight on. And my Grandpa used to tell me pretty I was when I gained weight. One time he told me "you look better now that you've put a little weight back on. You don't look so sickly." ?????

KnitALisa
01-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Quick NSV: My grandma (who is the most honest woman I know) told me that my cheekbones are popping out a little. It's true, I can definitely see some loss in my face! :D

And my Grandpa used to tell me pretty I was when I gained weight. One time he told me "you look better now that you've put a little weight back on. You don't look so sickly." ?????
Was he trying to make you feel better, I guess? I don't know...

boaterswife
01-09-2007, 02:12 PM
I thought I'd pop back in and read a bit while I have time, and I'm glad I did! You guys ALWAYS make a girl feel good! I was feeling like I was being snotty because I'm aggrivated with my mom, but I feel better now! You guys are right, she's happy for me, but angry at herself because I'm not the measuring stick that works for her anymore! Tough luck!

LisaMarie, I most definitely could NOT run 35 minutes. In fact, I'm not sure I could do 10! I've been contemplating the C25K program, but haven't done anything about it yet. You should be SOOOOOOOOOOO proud of yourself, that is a major accomplishment!

Lilybelle, I've had that same thing happen with the gowns! Here, just give me a tent already!!! In response to being the HER that people compare themselves to, I have to mention my absolute best friend. We live about an hour apart now, and both have kiddos, so we don't see each other as much as we'd like. Let me start by saying she and I have always been comparable in size. I saw her last month, after not seeing her for a couple months, and she was estatic for me. Couldn't say enough how happy she was for me and great I looked. She did ask the questions about what I'm doing and what changes I've made and we talked about it. She's joining WW this week for her, not to keep up with me. I'm so happy for her.

Rhonda, this reminds me of how people see other drivers on the road....if they're going slower than you, they're old codgers who need to get out of the way; if they're going faster than you then they're maniacs who're going to kill someone if they don't slow down. Some people want everyone to be like them, whether it's habits, weight, or driving!

Lisa, cheekbones? Ooohh, that's fabulous! An nsv you can see every time you brush your teeth!

lilybelle
01-09-2007, 02:33 PM
My dad used to always say "I want all my girls to grow up fat and pretty like their mama". I guess he got his wish for a while. Lol, but not anymore.

My NSV today, my Dog ate my whole loaf of bread. I'm not going to buy any more this week. I'll do without it. I guess she was trying to do Low Carb too as it was my special loaf of LC bread.

KnitALisa
01-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Whoa.. 2 NSVs in one day... Between work and my own life, I'm in and out of the bank all the time. Today the bank manager (who I also know on a personal level, a rather blunt woman) came up to me and told me I looked like I had "lost a LOT of weight!" It was a little awkward, cause there I was trying to fill out a deposit slip and it was in a really public place. I'll take it though! :D

Lily- Hee! Dogs are so funny.

Kelly- So true! Better to stay optimistic and let her deal with her own poo.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Congrats on all the wonderful NSV's!! They are so fun to read about. Keep at it!!:carrot:

GirlyGirlSebas
01-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Yay! I have two NSV's today!

First, was feeling kinda blue today and dragging....I think its because the 'newness' has worn off and I'm at the point where I have to make a decision...is this a diet, with a beginning and an end...or is this my lifestyle from now on? Anyways...back on topic...Instead of getting on the scales again, I decided to measure myself....I didnt expect to see any results after one week, but wanted to try......I've lost 2 inches around my waist! :woohoo:

Another NSV....was in the parking lot at Walmart Supercenter...driving up and down the lanes, looking for a close parking spot, when I had a light bulb moment...."Hey...I'm missing the opportunity to get some exercise." Then I parked far away and walked! Wow...who'd of thunk it?!

CLCSC145
01-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Anyways...back on topic...Instead of getting on the scales again, I decided to measure myself....I didnt expect to see any results after one week, but wanted to try......I've lost 2 inches around my waist! :woohoo:

Yay! Yay! Yay!!!!! I know how disappointed you were with the stupid scale your first week. See?!? There is proof that you are doing all the right things!!! This made me so happy to see! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

LisaMarie71
01-09-2007, 07:50 PM
I've been contemplating the C25K program, but haven't done anything about it yet.

You should do it!! Or do your own version of it, like I did. I started just walking in August, and then I started doing short jogging intervals in September, when I weighed 247! I never imagined I could jog at that weight, and I started with just a few minutes at a time. I built it up every week gradually, the way the C25K program does. If I can do it, anyone can, honestly. I have a long way to go, but now I can actually imagine being some kind of an athlete. Not a great one, but an athlete. It's crazy! And you can do it too!

luckyducky
01-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Once again, January showed it bitterly cold face today with bone chilling winds from the NW. I had decided it was too cold to walk outside and had resigned myself to not walking again today ( didn't walk yesterday, no time...). I sat here on the computer for 45 minutes, and then decided, I had to go out and walk, cold or not cold. I bundled up and off I went, ( me and Queen' s Greatest Hits of course!). It wasn't so cold after all!! I walked farther than I ever have before! The wind died down when it got dark ( I was still a mile and a half from home at that point), and I was actually sweating!! And you know, I feel good!! Not just good,... I feel GREAT!!! I DID it for me in spite of myself!! This is definitely a defining moment in my weight loss journey!! An epiphany even!!! I know I can exercise even if I don't want to!! I will psyche myself up with this accomplishment the next time I don't want to go out and walk!!!! Yay!!!

KnitALisa
01-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I think its because the 'newness' has worn off and I'm at the point where I have to make a decision...is this a diet, with a beginning and an end...or is this my lifestyle from now on?
I think we all have to go through that process (sometimes many times over the years). And nothing motivates you to stick with it like seeing actual shrinking!! Congrats! The measuring tape is such an awesome tool. :D

luckyducky: Attagal!! Getting out the door is the hardest part; usually if I can get my butt out there, I love it.

Lifeguard
01-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Today was the first day of my new plan to keep the tv off & I did it! I even took the "smart card" out of the satellite receiver & made my husband hide it so that if I get tempted it won't even work!

That darn tv sucks the life right out of me - & I don't even enjoy it!

lilybelle
01-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Lifeguard, WTG on not watching TV. I rarely watch mine, it's too boring for me. My addiction is being here on the computer. If someone shut if off, It would be war.

luckyducky
01-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Yup, got out and walked today, even though it was only a little over 2miles, It was all I could squeeze in between work, chores ( horses are hungry ya know....) phone calls that had to be made after work, and the church meeting tonight... Why don't I remember life being this busy when I was a kid? Man, I had time for everything! Even in high school I don't remember being this darn busy! Of course that class reunion thingie is a good motivator for me... well, back to real life and a nice hot bath...

lilybelle
01-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Last night I made baked chicken and fries. I was going to have some fries since I hadn't eaten anything but broth and SF jello yesterday but I decided to fix me a salad instead. Let DH and DD have all the fries. The good news this morning, was the scale rewarded me and has came back down to my pre-holiday weight.

Lifeguard
01-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Today we finally got our dishwasher & bathtub plumbed!!!!!! We have been without a dishwasher for 4 years & boy did we miss it! We have been without the tub for almost a year &, yeah, we missed that too!!! LOL

RebaR
01-11-2007, 10:38 PM
At school, I work with a special needs child that is in a wheelchair...Well, we have a new playground... yesterday, I asked her if she wanted to slide... and she did, so I stood by the side and helped her slide. I was telling one of the teachers how last year, she sat in a teenagers lap and went down one of those big blow up slides... the teacher looked at her and asked if she wanted to go down one of the big slides. She grinned and nodded yes.... so off they went.... well, then I ended up taking her down the slide too... I think we may have started something.... Anyway, during that I was holding her, she weighs 30-35 pounds, and had the realization that was about what I've lost in the last year... It was a good way to see what i've lost!

Reba

luckyducky
01-11-2007, 11:01 PM
That is thinking outside the box, Good for you Reba!!!!!
I discovered today, that although I love my son to accompany me on my walks, it is too difficult to really move with an 8 yr old in tow... It was fun though for the 2 of us to walk and connect, he really enjoyed it also!! I think it is called "quality time". I found how much more easily I walk without getting out of breath or wanting to slow down!! I am more fit!!!! YAY!!!

RememberHowToSmile
01-11-2007, 11:28 PM
It's cold here so yesterday I went in my closet to find something heavier then a long sleeve tee-shirt and I saw this really cute pink and black stripped sweater and thought I'll wear this. I put it on and it was at least 2 sizes too big. I still wore it but all I could think all day is wow if this wasn’t a turtle neck it would be falling off me.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-12-2007, 08:17 AM
I finally did over 10,000 steps yesterday! I checke my pedometer last night, and it read 10,450. I never thought I would ever walk that many steps in one day. I really like that little gadget!!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Awesome NSV's!

rockinrobin
01-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Okay, another weird one for me that I should probably keep to myself.

My 17 year old daughter was eating breakfast this morning and I was doing the dishes at the same time. And I hear her mumble something. I said "What did you just say" And she says in a sweet, cute kinda kidding around tone, "My mommy's off her rocker". I paused and then realized what must have happened. So, I said to her, "Was I just dancing around as I was washing the dishes?" And she says, "Yup". So I said, "Why burn 5 calories when you could burn 10?" I tell you I don't even realize I'm doing it anymore, the extra exercise that I sneak in at EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY. It's completely automatic. So yes, little girl, your mommy is off her rocker. Ain't it about time?

Mrs Quadcrew
01-12-2007, 11:22 AM
[/QUOTE]So yes, little girl, your mommy is off her rocker. Ain't it about time?
[QUOTE]

Oh yeah, it is TIME.....may we join you??:carrot: :D ;)

lilybelle
01-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Reba, that is so fantastic about taking that little girl down the slide. I'm sure she enjoyed it tremendously.

RockinRobin, Lol, my daughter thinks I'm nuts too for dancing. She really cracks up when I sing too. It's really fun to be silly and live long enough to be an embarassment to our kids. Lol.

rockinrobin
01-12-2007, 12:10 PM
In answer to your question Mrs. Quadcrew - YES!!!! YES!!!! Please do join, you're all welcome to join me in my off my rockerness!!! ;) :D ;)
But quite frankly, with all the steps you're logging into your pedometer, you are already WELL on your way!!!

Ahhh now Lily, dancing my daughter can at least see a reason for, ya know the burning the calories and therefore tolerate. But the singing, she really sees no need for that. And will not HESITATE to tell me so. But I do like the way you put it - That we're living long enough to cause the kids embarassment - AMEN to that . :smug:

boaterswife
01-12-2007, 11:08 PM
You all are doing so well, stand up and pat yourselves on the back! I'm very proud of each and every one of you, it warms my heart to read these entries!

I walked past the mirror today and stopped to take a second look. Upon closer inspection, I think my chins are gone!!!!

lilybelle
01-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Kelly, WTG on your chins being gone.

Thursday night me, DH and DS went to Outback for dinner. I did my hair and make-up and put on a black clingy type shirt with some nice jeans and loafer type shoes. I looked in the mirror and actually thought, hey I look darn good. I walked into my living room and my 21 yr. old son said "mom , you really look great". He usually doesn't mention my wt. loss and it made me proud for him to think I look good too.

boaterswife
01-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Oh, way to go, Lily! Those darn kids will make you tear up every time, won't they? I bet you looked FABULOUS!!!!

CLCSC145
01-13-2007, 01:48 PM
This one is a scale victory, so I hope no one minds, but as of this morning I've lost 10% of my start weight! I'm so excited! I've always heard that your health can be improved by losing as little as 10% of your starting weight. I'm not sure if that's true, but I feel so much better now than when I started that I have to believe there is something to that!

LisaMarie71
01-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Way to go, C.C. -- 10% is a major milestone!!

My NSV today is that as much as I love working out these days, I really really didn't feel like getting up and going to the gym but I did it anyway. I met a friend for a body sculpting class and then I did a 40 minute run/walk on the treadmill. I'm proud of myself for not caring what I look like while trying to run on the treadmill -- I'm still out of shape and that used to bother me, but now all I care about is improving.

RememberHowToSmile
01-13-2007, 04:24 PM
CC - 10 % goals are great. They are how I keep myself on plan.

Today I also met my next mini-goal. (3rd time I lost 10% of my weight).

I also realized that I can take my size 22 jeans off without undoing the button or unzipping them.

boaterswife
01-13-2007, 10:41 PM
CC, that first 10% is such a rewarding accomplishment, you should be so proud of yourself. I'm very proud of you!! You've made such wonderful changes in your life and now you're body is responding to those changes!

Lisa, that's awesome! Some days it's such a struggle to work out, but you went and did it anyway, that's determination! Next time you don't feel like it, think back to today and remember that you did it anyway and felt great! And look at those stats! WOW! You're over half way there...that's amazing!

RememberHowToSmile, I'm speechless. You've met 3 10% goals, I can't even imagine how wonderful that feels. Good for you!

rockinrobin
01-14-2007, 06:38 AM
You know Lily, I wonder if there's a point where we're the only one who has it on our heads all the weight that we've lost. Cause you know we're the one's that did (and does) all the work. And I suppose we will never, ever forget where we once came from. So your son telling you that you look great is just the way that he sees you. It's probably a distant memory to him that you were once so heavy. And when he looks at you all he sees is his beautiful mama. Not his formerly overweight mama. Just a beautiful woman, oh.... who happens to be his mom. And I'm happy for you!!!

CC, you're just remarkable. You are doing SO incredibly well. There's absolutely no stopping you now!!!! You are SO well on your way!!!! And I couldn't be happier.

Lisamarie, what a great feeling!!! Good for you.

Boaterswife - Congrats on losing those chins!!!!

Remember to smile - Congrats all around for you!!!

Gosh I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this thread!!!!!

Keep um coming ladies, I can't get enough of um. :D :D :D

GirlyGirlSebas
01-14-2007, 10:39 AM
I have a big phobia of big dogs. This phobia has prevented me from walking outside for many years. About two weeks ago, I posted a question on the exercise forum about this and received some very good advice. I picked up some pepper spray, carried my cell phone and headed out. I've been walking almost everyday since.

Yesterday - not even 5 minutes into my walk, I come around the corner and there is the HUGE dog....who promptly trots across the road to me. I'm ashamed to say that I panic....I did get the pepper spray out and ready...and I was prepared to use it if I absolutely had to...so I stood in one place crying and hollering for help...then called my hubby to come get me....all the time, the dog is just circling around me...not jumping on me or anyting :) A neighbor came out and held the dog until I could get away just before hubby came. I went into the house and just cried. Then I looked up the schedule for the 'Y,' but they were closed for the day. I sat there for about 10 minutes.......then I decided that I wasnt going to sit in my house and be afraid to venture out! For Pete's sake...the dog didnt even seem aggressive! I guess I let the panic overwhelm me.

To get to the point.....I went back out and completed my walk! I almost can't quite believe it and my family is flabbergasted. :D

LisaMarie71
01-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Rhonda, what a HUGE NSV!!! Overcoming our fears is such a difficult thing, and you did it because your commitment to weight loss and good health is more important to you than just going back into your house and feeling safe. I think that's a wonderful indication that you're going to be VERY successful with this -- it means so much to you that you're willing to do something even if you're scared, and I'm so impressed!!

Rememberhowtosmile -- congrats on meeting your 3rd mini-goal and on taking those pants off without unbuttoning them -- I LOVE that feeling!!

Kelly, thanks for your encouragement and congratulations on the chin thing -- isn't it great to catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror and see a change like that??

rockinrobin, you're doing so well!! I love reading your posts because you're always an inspiration to me. I feel like even though we don't know each other, we're on this journey together!

lilybelle, I love your NSV about your son, because I know young people are sometimes a bit clueless about such things! When my teenage students notice my weight loss, I know it must be truly noticeable because teenagers aren't always ready to give adults compliments so it really means something when they do!!!

EnglishMuffin
01-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi,

Great reading all of your NSV's!

My recent one would be going for my 1st ever massage in November - despite feeling very conscious of my size I just felt the time had come to enjoy things like this - something I could never have done at my heaviest weight. I went for a 2nd aromatherapy massage last week - 90 mins of bliss - and although I had a few 'what must she think' moments I so enjoyed it!!!!

EM

lilybelle
01-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Last night my DH was hanging new pic's we had made at my step-daughters wedding. He asked me if I wanted the big pic. of him, DS, DD and me taken down. It's when I was at my highest weight. I said "no, I want it there to remind me of where I started". Plus, the new pic's don't have my son in them and this is our only really family pic. of the 4 of us.(my son was away at the Army drill when the wedding occurred). Why take down a good family pic. just cause I was fat at the time. The new pic's show how I've changed. I have come to accept that I'm not ashamed of how I used to look , only more proud of how I look now.

shelby897
01-14-2007, 01:59 PM
"Absolutely amazing" -- what I have to say to all of you!! This is such a positive thread!! All of us "newbies" should be required to read this!! It's so easy to forgot our accomplishments aren't always weight related. I'm a compulsive weigher, at least 10 times a day. So, being a bit of a nut, I actually threw them away and I am going to be content to weigh in with my nutritionist whenever I visit her only. I am so much more relaxed without
those numbers looking at me all day!!!

A big pat on the back to everyone and a overflowing glass of strength to everyone to make it through another week.

NESunshine
01-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Alright...so today I ran into my friend at the gym...she isn't really overweight but she isn't a skinny mini either...fairly average sized and sort of soft not toned. Anyway...it made me feel good that I could blow through 45 minutes on the elliptical after doing 55 flights on the stairmill and be the one encouraging her to keep going....she was dying after 20 minutes. She is 8 years younger than me (only 19)...has never been a smoker (I'm still working on quitting) and I'm probably about 60lbs heavier than her at least. It felt good to not be the one trying to catch up. We are going to even try to work out together now that we both remembered that we belong to the same gym!

boaterswife
01-14-2007, 02:26 PM
NESunshine, does it leave you speechless sometimes when you sit back and realized that you are the inspiration for someone else, instead of the other way around? The accomplishments you've made so far are fantastic, and I know you're only going to continue! Way to go!

RememberHowToSmile
01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
My sister bought me some PJ pants back in November (early Christmas gift). Last year she bought me xxl well she bought me xl this year. I tried them on but they were tight in the thighs and stomach so I hadn't worn them yet. I actually forgot about them until I was going though my dresser today. I put them on today and they fit, actually they are a little roomy. :carrot:

teacher239
01-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to the site and would like to meet/chat with others to keep myself motivated. I went through a divorce two years ago and I put on 100lbs via the stress. There were many nights of crying and eating whatever food that was in the house. I am a first grade teacher and at times I feel like I am out of energy and not giving my kids the best they deserve in a teacher. I will be 30 in July and would like to lose 40lbs before my big day. Looking for anyone who would like to become partners in the weight loss struggle as I need motivation and an ear to lean on at times.

NewDay4MeToo
01-15-2007, 02:09 PM
I have been frustrated with the scale lately, so I needed last night's NSVs.

(Side note- Why do I say frustrated with the scale? I'm the one who hasn't been doing enough work. Since a month ago I have lost 2 pounds. I know, it's been the holidays and all, but it just doesn't feel like very much when I want to get close to goal by my birthday, at the end of May. So, I'm really more frustrated with me than frustrated with the scale.)

OK, here is my NSV. Last night I invited the boyfriend over for dinner. I cooked a really nice meal that was also healthy. Typically, when I have made meals for others in the past, I have made full fat food, since I wanted it to taste good for people. I realized yesterday that I could make yummy food that was also good for me.

The food was pretty good. Plus, I dressed nice. I wore a little black dress with tall black heels. I was feeling a little nervous, since the dress was a little tight. But, from the moment he saw me, my boyfriend was nothing but compliments. Over and over telling me how hot I looked. And with the heels, I did feel very sophisticated.

So, even though I'm not quite where I want to be yet, I felt amazing last night.

boaterswife
01-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Christine, feeling amazing is wonderful, but remember you ARE amazing! YOU are the one who has made this journey so far, no one has done it for you. You need to bask and glow, girl! You're doing wonderful!

I know we try to keep this thread separate from the scale, but I think we all need to take a moment to congratulate RockinRobin on her awesome success! Halfway to goal, Robin, you are such an inspiration!!!!

NewDay4MeToo
01-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Kelly

Thank you so much. I really needed to hear that today.

crazynette826
01-16-2007, 01:38 AM
I agree with Kelly. Rockinrobin, you are an inspiration!!! WTG!!! Half way to goal is amazing! Keep it up!! :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

finn
01-16-2007, 10:26 AM
I've been a bit down this week with PMS coupled with january blues but totally brightened up today when, at the water cooler, a guy that I've seen around in work asked me if I'd been working out. Strange how a comment can totally change your attitude....

Mrs Quadcrew
01-16-2007, 11:33 AM
This is a silly one, but when I was geting ready for my walk this morning - I was putting my socks on, and I can PULL THEM ALL THE WAY UP!!! My calves have always been so big, that the socks were too tight, and I would have to "roll" the socks down so they would fit. I was soo tickled that my socks fit normally now!!:D

lilybelle
01-16-2007, 02:23 PM
rockinrobin, you have been doing fantastic. WTG.

I went in the local convenience store today and the clerk said "man, you have lost a lot of weight".. (this lady hadn't seen me in about 6 months, her son was killed in a 4 wheeler accident and she took 6 months off work).

I then went to make my car payment and the clerk there said "I didn't realize you had lost so much weight, you are really skinny".

Some days it just feels great to get these compliments.

Mrs. Quadcrew, WTG on the socks fitting. Mine used to didn't fit my calves either.

train
01-17-2007, 03:34 AM
these are fabulous!! i love this thread!! i always read but never add...so here are two from today.

i was at the gym on the treadmill when the power went out. we had to evacuate the building. most people went home. i thought about it too, but instead i ran around the parking lot for seven minutes until the power came back on!!

i was sitting cross legged on a couch at work, reading, and one of my bosses passed by and said " train, you look so small!" well I am hardly small but i've never heard that in the same sentence as my name. oh, and then she said "you really need to get some new clothes." she is right, but i hate shopping.

woohooo.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Train, great job on waiting for the power to come back on! This are the steps that will make you fit and slender! Personally, I cant wait to go shopping for a smaller body. I love shopping, but this time I can shop for me instead of everyone else like I always do.

I also get to post an NSV :D
Hubby walked up behind me while I was bent over looking for something in the bottom shelf of the fridge. He slaps me on the backside and says "Your butt is getting smaller." :carrot: My butt is getting a tad bit smaller, my gut is getting a tad bit smaller...can somebody wake my thighs up for me and tell them to :coach: get with the program!

rockinrobin
01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Darling, I'm down 81 pounds and no one has yet to tell my calves that there's a weightloss in progress going on in my body. They're just not interested in what everything around them is doing. So, I still have the calves of a 287 lber. Phooey. :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

WindyCityChick
01-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone - popping in to share what I think is a great NSV. I recently interviewed for a new job, and learned this week that I got it! I am very excited, as it will be a great opportunity to learn some new things and the group of people I interviewed with seem like they will be a good team to work with. I always believed interviewing is a lot like dating - those gut feelings (good or bad) tend to bear out in real life.

Anyway, you may ask what does this have to do with dieting? Well, I firmly believe that my confidence level going through the interview process was much higher than it would have been when I was back in my unhealthy lifestyle. I'm still very much a work in progress, but I know I feel better about who I am and where I'm heading than I have in a long long time. So, thanks to all of you for your daily contributions - it really does make a difference!

Mrs Quadcrew
01-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Rachel - congrats on the new job!!! Confidence is a wonderful thing....and I am slowing regaining mine, one day at a time.;)

Robin - you made me laugh out loud!!! I've lost 11 pounds vs. your 81 - I think most of my loss so far was just from the calves (I can't see it much anywhere else!!):sumo:

LisaMarie71
01-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Rachel, congratulations!!

And congrats to everyone on some great NSVs!

This week has been pretty NSV-heavy for me in terms of compliments and people noticing my weight loss. It's not just "are you losing weight?" anymore; it's "you look fantastic!" That feels so good! I think it's because I'm trying really hard to wear clothes that fit, though that's difficult now because I can't afford a lot of new stuff and I don't have much that isn't way too big.

Today and yesterday, lots of people noticed. Someone said "you're literally melting in front of us every day" and a student said "you are getting SO SMALL." Woohoo! :carrot:

WindyCityChick
01-17-2007, 07:28 PM
LisaMarie, I know exactly how you feel about the clothing. I think you and I are pretty close in terms of where we are in our drive to the goal line, and I too am struggling with not wanting to buy new clothes, but swimming in the current set. I think I've tried on every item of clothing I own in the last few weeks - thank goodness there are some in-between items that work. But hey, it's a great problem to have!

Sheila53
01-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Awesome NSVs, everyone! Love that everyone is getting complimented and noticed for their efforts.

I'm happy to say that although I couldn't get to the gym because of weather, I took out my WATP tape and did the two-mile brisk walk plus did some stretching and stability ball work. Usually when I can't get to the gym, I just forget about exercise for that day. Luckily, not getting to the gym doesn't happen too often, but I'm pleased that this time I did something instead of shining it on.

boaterswife
01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Rachel and Lisa, hang in there with the clothing, I've been going through the same thing! I hate to spend the $$$ on clothes that I'm hoping won't fit for long, but here are a couple solutions....

1. Check out Kohl's if you have one nearby. I bought several new long sleeved tops there last week on clearance for $4-$5 a piece. I also got three new sweaters for $8 each, they were originally $44 each.

2. I've also checked out the local Good Will store and found Old Navy and Lee jeans for $4 per pair.

3. Some of the local resale shops have REALLY nice stuff for a little more, but if I need something specal I'm going to try them before I pay full price at the mall.

Good luck on your searches, and may you need the new clothes for only a short period of time (before you need even smaller ones!)!

nicolen
01-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Well, I have a couple.

An interesting one - my underwear is suddenly too big! I wear trousers for work and for the last 3 days, my underwear have slowly drifted down my hips till the only thing holding them up are my trousers. I know that's where my weight's been going from, but that's just slightly bizarre. I'm not sure whether to be pleased that it's happening or sad because I just bought new underwear last week...

I had counselling this week to resolve the issues resulting from the depression last year and my counsellor told me that we're going to have 1 more session and then we're done! :carrot: :carrot:

And I walked from work to the bus with a friend today. She walks really fast and I pushed myself and kept up with her - the usual 20 minute walk was done in 16 minutes. I'm utterly stuffed now though....

NewDay4MeToo
01-18-2007, 01:34 AM
What lovely NSVs.... They make me smile.

Today the checkout lady at the grocery asked me if I was pregnant. Admittedly, I had on a very very large, wool coat. It took me off guard a little, but I realized, know what? I'm looking good. I don't need to be thrown off by a stranger. (who of course felt quite bad after)

And my happy happy NSV is that I bought a size 12 skirt today from the sale rack at target that looks great on me. Wahooo :)

rockinrobin
01-18-2007, 07:24 AM
As far as buying new clothing, for me personally, it is SOOO important that I feel I look my best as I'm going through this process. So, I've been caving in and buying new clothes. I knew I was going to have to do it. I can't tell you how good it feels to be able to buy much smaller clothing sizes, to have clothing that is smaller and fits me well, it just looks so much BETTER then the baggy stuff, which propells me to stay on track, and to be able to wear styles that I haven't been able to wear in years. I try to keep it to a bare minimum, I'm kinda lucky on this front because I work from my home. I only buy things that are greatly, greatly on sale. But this time of year there's LOTS of great stuff on sale. I knew it was going to be an expensive venture, buying new clothing so frequently but I look at it as an investment in my future. And, I'm worth it. (That just sounded like a Loreal' ad)

By the way I got rid of ALL of my old stuff, bagged it up and gave it to charity. I don't want it hanging around. I have NOTHING left from before September 4th. Ahh, not true, I did save a couple of items so that when I need the motivation I can try them on and see how far I've come. And to step inside them and take a picture and get that great before and after shot. I took a few pictures right before I started this, jsut for this very purpose.

newday4metoo, what a stupid clerk, I'm glad you didn't let the insensitive, nitwit get you down. That's great about your size 12 skirt, just fantastic!!

Nicolen, don't be sad your new undies don't fit you, be ECSTATIC!!!!! Very glad to hear your counseling session are almost done, that's really something to celebrate and I'm happy for you. About the walking with friends, that was ALWAYS a problem for me, them walking too fast for me, and I avoided it at all costs. But, yes it's much better now. I'm glad you were able to keep up!!!!

Sheila, I just got some WATP videos on Monday and I LOVE THEM!!!

LisaMarie, someone also told me that I was "Literally melting away before their eyes", and it was a guy and I thought I WOULD melt away right there and then. So yeah, that's a GREAT compliment.

WindyCityChick - CONGRATULATIONS on the new job!!! I am so very happy for you. :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

lilybelle
01-18-2007, 09:43 AM
NewDay, sorry to hear about the clerks remark. Why can't people have some sense and not ask "when's the baby due" unless they see a head sticking out. My DH learned this lesson the hard way. We were in Walmart and he ran into a cousin that he hadn't seen in a long time and he said "so, your baby should be due any time now, right? and she said " No, he is 4 months old now". He'll never ask a woman such a thing again. He was terribly embarassed.

Nicolen, I also have a huge drawer of undies cause that is where my weight loss was the quickest. But, there is nothing worse than undies that won't stay up. (well, except maybe panty hose that won't stay up).

Robin, I saved one pair of my size 20 jeans to take a pic in. I can stand in one leg of them now. They are great motivation when I look at them. I got rid of them rest of my clothes except 2 of my 2X t-shirts that I sleep in now. I did find a lot of good clothes bargains at our local consignment store. I only bought stuff while I was losing weight when I really needed it. It simply made me feel better about myself to get the new stuff that fit properly instead of wearing baggy clothes. Now that I'm at goal, I have to force myself not to shop too much. I love getting new clothes that fit well.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-18-2007, 10:12 AM
I just love reading all the NSV's every morning! Helps to get my day off on the right foot! Congrats to all of you - and I am looking forward to getting some of those smaller sizes!

NewDay - I think that clerk of your's must ride to work in the same car as the idiot I had to deal with the other day. Maybe they car pool together??;) Just ignore those comments ~ we know they are idiots even if they don't.:D I am still carrying some of NE's MOJO!!

boaterswife
01-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Went to my Mom's for dinner tonight (every Thursday night), and she wouldn't tell me beforehand what she was having so I could plan out my day. Well, I took my food companion book with me and checked the points of everything on the table before I filled my plate! Subconsciously I think she's jealous of the weight loss even though she keeps telling me how proud she is of me. Tonight she had a full blown sabotage meal on the table....homemade pork sausage (fried, naturally), macaroni and cheese, fried potatos, corn and green beans. DH and I normally don't fry anything, and haven't for years, much less half of the menu all in one meal! I took about 2 bites worth of one link of sausage and blotted it on my napkin, then took mostly green beans, a little corn, and got up and fixed my own salad out of the fridge for the main part of my meal! She finished it off with an apple pie (gee, thanks, mom) but I didn't even want any, I just wanted to get away from all the fat on the table!

lilybelle
01-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Kelly, you did great. That would have been a hard meal to do good with. My mom used to cook very similarly. Of course, my kids loved her cooking and so did DH.

Last night, I made it 14 min's on that elliptical. My farthest ever. Then cooled off and walked 1 1/2 miles on treadmill. Man, I slept great after my shower. I am really trying to get some endurance with the elliptical. I'm a little sore today, but I am OK.

NavyWifeDee
01-19-2007, 02:43 PM
You guys are all great! I love the NSV's! I'm hoping for a clothing NSV in a few weeks, or we'll have problems, as my current work pants are falling off, but my others are too little, and I don't want to buy more. But I actually do have an NSV and an SV too today.

My NSV- I actually ran 1/2 mile without stopping last night. I may actually be able to run most of my 5k next month if I can keep it up.

my SV- the scale is finally starting to move down again, after 6-8 months of no movement or upward movement.

Keep it up, I love reading everyone's NSV's!

boaterswife
01-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Woo hoo, Lily, that's fabulous! That darned elliptical is a hard beast to conquer, but you are getting there! And yeah, dinner at mom's last night tasted good, but it felt even better to climb on my elliptical when I got home...kinda like sticking my tongue out and NOT getting my face smacked for it! HA!

Sheila53
01-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Nicolen, be happy about the underwear!! I finally got around to getting new underwear a couple of weeks ago--couldn't believe I waited so long. It's great to be wearing underwear that fits and doesn't sag. Luckily, those 6-packs don't cost too much.

My NSV was that I went snow shoeing with my sister yesterday, and took a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some trail mix because they're so portable. I ate three bites of the sandwich while on the trail, and about 1/2 of the trail mix. I threw the sandwich away when I got home, and gave my DH the rest of the trail mix. Normally I would never voluntarily give up peanut butter and chocolate, but I wasn't that hungry, and I realized maintaining my weight is more important than eating a PB&J.

RememberHowToSmile
01-19-2007, 07:14 PM
I completed the first week of C25K. This is the first time I've actually started a structured exercise plan and I'm really hope that I stick with it.

Lifeguard
01-19-2007, 09:38 PM
:comp: I GOT A JOB! :comp:

A full-time job in my field! I'm soooo excited. I really think having a job I can be proud will help my self-esteem & that the regular schedule will be good from depression. WOOHOO!!!!:) :)

GirlyGirlSebas
01-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Lifeguard, that is awesome! I'm so happy for you.

lilybelle
01-20-2007, 11:37 AM
WTG, Lifeguard, that is awesome. Congratulations.

Last night I went to the dollar store to get more dog food. After I had cashed out, I remembered that we were out of bread, and had to get back in line to get a loaf. I don't normally eat any bread, as I do LC. The checker lady said "OMG, you are so skinny, I didn't figure you ate bread". I told her that I don't but my DH and kids do. Anyway, I got home and my DD made her a peanut butter sandwich and went and picked up the remote to change the TV channel. Our dog , jumped up and wolfed her sandwich down. She was so mad at the dog. We all got a good laugh out of it. (our dog is nursing 12 puppies and will eat anything she can get a hold of). LOL, hence why I'm constantly buying dog food.

Lifeguard
01-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Dogs certainly are entertaining - I don't know what we would do for fun without ours!

LisaMarie71
01-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Lifeguard, congratulations on the job! That's wonderful! :)

I had two big NSVs today -- a fitness one and a clothing one.

I joined that 10k training team I've been talking about, and our first group run was this morning. I was so afraid I'd be the slowest one there, even though intellectually I knew I would have no problem with our first run because it's only a mile and I've done more than twice that lately. I did really well, and I had fun, and I learned that I shouldn't always assume the worst about myself when it comes to physical things. I've always done that, and that lack of confidence has kept me from doing so much. It's just silly, and I refuse to do that anymore! From now on, I'm just going to assume that I'll succeed, and I will!

I tried on some 16 jeans at Lane Bryant today, thinking I'd have to squeeze into them (even though a 16 at LB is an 18 anywhere else), but they were even a tad loose. So I tried on a pair of 14s and I managed to button them! They're too tight to wear yet (some SERIOUS muffin top effect happening), but I bought them anyway so I can work toward getting into them. Do you have ANY idea how long it's been since I bought something with a 14 on it?? And then I returned a sweater because it was too big, and the lady said "Well, you definitely should get a 14/16 sweater." That was good to hear, because I'm bigger on top. I REALLY wish I had enough money to do some serious shopping...

rockinrobin
01-22-2007, 08:09 PM
A friend of minestopped by about an hour ago. The same friend I had just seen on Saturday. She walks into my house and says "Wow, you're looking really slender" Slender - she said I looked slender. Haha. Truth be known, I put on a brand new fitted long denim skirt today as opposed to the oversized, too big one I was wearing on Saturday, so naturally I looked slimmer. Wearing the right sized clothing makes a tremendous difference. Oh and by the way I bought this skirt about 3 weeks ago and it was skin tight, unwearable in fact. It's now perfect. (Not for long, hopefully) It's a size 14, not 14 W, but a regular 14, from a regular store.

SexyRevealed
01-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Rockinrobin, congrats on getting into your regular skirt from a regular store! I dug through my clothes and pulled out an old favorite denim skirt that I'm dying to get back into. It's a size 20. I hope to be into it by summer. When I do, I'm going to go to a regular store and buy me a regular skirt that I can look forward to wearing!

I had a small NSV today... I did not succumb to birthday cake, my absolute favorite treat of all. My supervisor told me it was in the kitchen, which is right around the corner from my desk. He told me twice, and both times I said, "OK!" But I didn't go near the kitchen for the rest of the day. It was HARD but I did it!

sexybrokechick
01-22-2007, 09:07 PM
My NSV today was that I was able to do a combined 90 minutes of exercise: 72 minutes on the step machine and 28 mins of crunches. I did 150 situps, 50 left crunches, 50 right crunches. By the time I was done, I was sweating and feeling tired but I felt energized. I can't wait to do it again tomorrow! :carrot:

RebaR
01-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Last Sunday, I wore a dress to church that I've worn a hundred times and had my hair pulled up...earrings....lipstick....nothing special to me...(though, my hair has been short for a long time...and is just now long enough to pull up)... anyway, as I was walking across the parking lot, a dear lady that I loved, yelled across the lot "look at you... are you on the prowl??" Being single, I said, I'm always on the prowl, know anyone?? And had a good chuckle out of it... I'll have to wear that dress again soon.

Reba

RememberHowToSmile
01-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Lifeguard – GOOD JOB! That is so wonderful!

My NSV is I stayed at school extra long today because I was working on a paper with a partner. When I got home I was starving and exhausted. Dinner was ready because I put it in my crockpot before I left this morning. All I wanted to do was eat dinner, crawl up on my couch, and either take a nap or watch TV. Instead I decided to wait on dinner, get on my treadmill and do day 1 week 2 of the C25K program like I planned. I felt so much better about myself afterwards.

crazynette826
01-23-2007, 01:21 AM
My coworker brought left over christmas candy, including peanut butter and caramel kisses (my favorites), to work last night. I was good and only had one. She kept offering me more, but I just kept telling her maybe later. I've never turned down peant butter kisses before!! :)

lilybelle
01-23-2007, 02:21 AM
I absolutely love these clothing NSV's. They are so motivational, thanks everyone for sharing.

LisaMarie, when I was finally able to button a 14 again, I thought I was one hot grandma. LOL. WTG.

rockinrobin, doesn't it feel awesome to get to buy something at the "regular" store. WTG. I can feel you joy.

sexy, WTG on that exercise. I can't do not one situp or crunch, so you've got me beat on that for sure. (I tried again just recently and can't pull myself up at all). I sure wish I could. Also, WTG on passing on the cake. My son's birthday is next Sunday and I have bought the stuff to make him a chocolate cake. I am trying to be extra careful this week as I know I don't do well with cake, esp . chocolate. (My DH's birthday was in Nov. and I made his chocolate cake and I ended up eating 4 pieces, licked the knife and sucked the chocolate off all 42 candles). Sad , but true.

rememberhowtosmile, WTG on the exercise. Great job on the C25K.

crazynette, great job on only having one candy. That must have been hard, but you did it. WTG.

My small NSV today was, I was badly craving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I had 1/2 apple with 1TBSP peanut butter instead and it tasted great. I am happy that I picked the fruit over the jelly and bread.

rockinrobin
01-23-2007, 04:16 AM
As always great NSV's!!! Resisting caramel kisses and birthday cake and looking hot at church and getting on the treadmill instead of the couch, 90mins of exercise!! Woohoo!!!

Lily, I did the same thing the other day. But instead of an apple I ate 1/2 a small banana. I haven't had one (banana or peanut butter sandwich since I started this in Sept.) The bananas, which I bought for the rest of the family, were sitting there all weekend calling out to me AND I had an urge for peanut butter, so I combined the 2. I tell you when it's all said and done and the day is over, you just feel so good for making a good choice. At this point I'm so "into" it, I don't even think I could enjoy a "regular" sandwich. Or a regular anything for that matter. Hey, that just might be an NSV in it self.

lilybelle
01-23-2007, 01:19 PM
rockinrobin, I have always heard that bananas are great with peanut butter, but I have never tried it. I do love apples with peanut butter. I have bananas here that are calling my name too. I bought them for DH and DD but they never eat them quick enough.

rockinrobin
01-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Lily, that's funny cause I had never had that combination before. But like I said they were calling my name and it would be rude of me to ignore it. :D

I also like it with an apple, basiclly there's not anything I DON'T like peanut butter with. I try to stay away from it as much as possible, I tend to overeat it. Well at least in the past I did.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Since hubby and I started our plan, my 10 year old daughter has lost her tummy! I don't know what the scales say for her as we discourage her from weighing, but her plus size jeans and tops are much much looser around the waste! My daughter was gaining weight, which contributed greatly to hubby and I getting our act together.

rockinrobin
01-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Rhonda that is the best NSV I've heard in a long time!!!!! Just look what you are doing for your children!!! Wow, that's what it's all about. I am in awe of you!!!

lilybelle
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Rhonda, that is great. My 14 yr. old DD has jumped on the bandwagon with the exercise lately and I'm happy for it.

LisaMarie71
01-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Fabulous NSVs, everyone, as always!! :)

A coworker talked to me today about getting several people together to run this 10k, and she said she thought she'd mention it to me since my husband and I are always working out and stuff. I actually got lumped in with my husband as "one of those people who work out all the time." I can't say I've ever been referred to in that way before!! People always talk about my husband being so fit and running all the time, but I've always been the lazy one. Not anymore!

SexyRevealed
01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Rhonda, that is wonderful! My hubby and son also could stand to lose a few, so I'm trying to make this a family change.

Lisa, that must have made you feel wonderful!

rockinrobin
01-24-2007, 12:17 PM
This morning I had my yearly mamogram. The attendant told me to put on the gown, front opening. There were so many strings, outside and inside and I couldn't figure out how to close it. Nothing seemed to match up right. I'm just dopey I guess. I asked her if she could help me, that I just wasn't getting it and she said to me "Oh that's because they make the gowns so big for larger people. We really should have 2 sizes for people like you." I almost fell on the floor. I do have to admit the thing was enormous on me and lord knows I'm no peanut. Even when closed it was practically falling off of me. It really wasn't the right size. I can't imagine how someone smaller then me could wear it.

When I first got to the lab I had to fill out some forms and they asked for my weight. Prior to starting my journey I hadn't been on a scale for close to 15 years so I always left it blank. This time I proudly filled in my correct weight. Now I'm sure some people would cringe at having to write down 201 lbs, but nope, not me. I was proud to write it.

Who would have thought going for a mamorgram could be so joyful?

By the way they said everything looked fine. :smug:

wanna b thin
01-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Robin, isn't it neat that weight loss even make mamogram visits eaisier.

I went on vacation last week and it was so nice to eaisly fit in the plane seat and not have to struggle to snap the seat belt. I actually had to pull the end a couple on inches to keep it from being too loose. I sat in between my DH and other ladies and didn't feel like I was crowding them. Of course after a week of eating and drinking way too much, it did not fit quite the same coming home, LOL. But I'm back OP and working to get it back off.

rockinrobin
01-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Robin, isn't it neat that weight loss even make mamogram visits eaisier.

YESS!!!! Definitely, without a doubt. I must tell you, I've said this over and over again - there really, truly is NOT one area of my life where my weightloss has not greatly improved my life. From the simplest things to the most complicated things. From major things to minor things. Life is just so much better!!!

As for the airplane, gosh I understand that one 100%. I have not flown for over 13 year for that very reason. I am finally ready to travel again. I'm glad you had a good experience. Sounds like you had a great time. You'll get back to the swing of things in no time at all!

sexybrokechick
01-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Today, I'm not exercising because my sinuses are acting up and I can barely breathe through my nose. Not good. But I did 90 minutes the past 3 days of the week so I'll break today and come back tomorrow. However,I did have a NSV today.. I have a pair of jeans that I can zip up but I'm in pain when I wear them for hours because they cut into my skin. Today, not only was I able to zip them up, but they stayed up and didn't cut into my skin. Small victories, small victories.

luckyducky
01-24-2007, 08:45 PM
This is so cool!!! I have 2 NSVs to celebrate today!!!! AT work, I have made no secret of the fact that I am trying to change my lifestyle, and today, one of my co-workers ( you know, one of those really skinny people...), incidently, she is very health conscious, said to me," good for you for making the changes you are making, and good for you to be so committed to walking outside every day." YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Made my day kind of moment!!!!!! The other NSV is, even though it was cold out, and I really didn't want to walk outside, I knew I would feel much better if I just got out and walked, and so I did!! Felt much, much better for it also!!!

LisaMarie71
01-24-2007, 09:15 PM
I got lots of compliments this week, including some "skinny" and "slim" comments, which still make me laugh. But now I'm getting a lots of comments about how I'm inspiring people and making them want to get fit too, and that feels REALLY great.

Oh, and the instructor at my bodysculpting class tonight said something that meant a lot to me. It's only the second time I've taken the class, so I asked if I picked the right resistance band (it was level 3 or something) or if I should go down a level, and she said "You're pretty strong in your upper body." I'm not really, but ...woohoo! :)

NewDay4MeToo
01-24-2007, 11:00 PM
I ate exactly the number of points I was supposed to today! I have been so off in my eating lately that I am so proud of that.

boaterswife
01-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Congratulations, EVERYONE, on all the fabulous NSV's!! You guys are doing awesome, I and really enjoy this thread!

After DD's dance competition this weekend and coming down with some runny-nose thing early Monday morning, I haven't been around much. Haven't felt like doing anything at all! Based on that, this feels like an NSV... Last night I got out my new WATP Walk and Jog DVD for the first time. I've never done a dvd workout so I wasn't sure what to expect, or if I'd be able to keep up with the way my head/body are feeling. Well, I did the whole thing with out stopping, and felt like I could've done it again! From the girl who couldn't do 5 minutes on her elliptical 5 months ago, to the girl who did a workout video all the way through on the first try....sometimes I can't believe the changes!!

lilybelle
01-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone, I reached maintenance 6 1/2 months ago doing Atkins and never increased my carb level for fear of gaining. I've been being very active on the maintainers board and have decided to start using Fitday and measuring my foods and adding the foods that I should be eating with maintenance. Such as more whole grains, more fruits and veggies, some beans, some wild rice . I had figured that I eat roughly 1400 cal's a day with my LC program. So, I am going to stick to 1400 cal's but add in some new variety of healthy foods. I'm also going to try soy milk and some home-made fruit smoothies with protein powder. I'm finally comfortable making some changes. I am going to weigh twice a week and see how my body adjusts to these new foods. If I start gaining, I'll know it quick and back off again on the carbs. I'm actually excited to get to try to add more foods and I'm way sick of eggs, bacon and sausage and salad all the time. I know that lowering my fat intake and esp. the amt. of meat that I eat, won't bother me a bit. Using Fitday is helping me feel more secure with the changes I'm making. Plus, thanks to everyone here at 3FC's, I'm getting great support and input on healthy foods for me to try.

Last night I planned on walking 3 miles, but my hip joints were hurting so badly that I made it 2 1/4 miles. Not too shabby. I have some cold/flu symptoms right now and was happy to be able to get this much exercise.

NewDay4MeToo
01-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Lilybelle-

I am so happy for you that you get to try new foods! You are such an inspiration to us all.

boaterswife
01-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Lilybelle, way to go on adapting your maintenance to real life! You've done so fantastic.....take it one day at a time and you'll do fine!

Today's NSV: I have this pair of size 12 jeans in my closet that I bought a couple of weeks ago to "work my way in to". This morning before work I thought, well, let's just try 'em on and see if I'm getting closer. I put them on and zipped them up without jumping around, laying on the bed, or sucking it in too much! Still a little snug for me to feel comfortable wearing them all day, but I think they're just around the corner!......Oooohhh, guess I need to go buy those 10's soon!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

HottieInHiding
01-26-2007, 11:27 AM
My NSV is about jeans too! (Like Kelly and sexybrokechick!)

I bought a pair of new jeans for New Year's Eve - and yes they were tight. Very tight! I wore them to the party, it was a short one early in the day. But I couldn't even sit properly and was in pain the whole time. Even trying to feed my son a bottle was uncomfortable! I put them on today because I had nothing else clean, and they fit! Still tight, not not digging. I'm sitting right now and now big deal! I was above 275 on New Year's Eve I'm sure, I didn't really start my plan until Jan 7th - and I was already cutting back on foods. So now I'm 267 so I now I lost at least 10 lbs to get these to fit :)

That is my first NSV since I started :) At least that jumped out at me and made me so happy I could barely stand it!

lilybelle
01-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks ladies, it took me a long time to feel comfortable enough to try to make these changes. I am loving using fitday. I was so excited yesterday to have a tuna sandwich on wheat bread. ( I had pretty much given up eating any bread). I had posted that I had been eating 1400 cals a day on Atkins. OMG, was I off. I typed in my typical daily food on Atkins. I was eating 2300 cals a day. It was a huge eye-opener for me. I don't know how I was maintaining so well on that many cal's. It was only about 18 carbs a day. But, lots of meat, cheese, eggs and salad. I was having severe problems with constipation and taking lots of stimulants for this problem. I'm hoping my new WOE with all the additional fiber will help me. The experienced maintainers did tell me to expect a temporary water gain with this change. I am up 1 lb. but my jeans are looser and my tummy is flatter.(I actually had to wear a belt yesterday to keep up what had been my snuggest jeans) . I can tell my hands and face are a litttle swollen. I'll keep plugging along for a few weeks and see if my body adjusts. I don't want more food, just more variety of healthy carbs.

Hottie and Kelly, WTG on the jeans NSV's.

rockinrobin
01-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Wow Lily, some big changes in store for you. I'm excited for you!!! So you said you added up your calories and it was 2300, did you lose on that amount as well, or only maintain? 18 carbs a day? That's next to nothing. So, I'm curious you didn't eat things like citrus fruits and onions and carrots and sweet potatoes and sugar snap peas and on and on and on, because of their high carb count? Wow, this IS going to be a big change for you. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Constipation can be such a nightmare, my oldest daughter suffers from it terribly, she has since she was little. I hope this helps you. I wish you LOTS and LOTS of luck. Enjoy your new and expanded menu. Jeans looser, tummy flatter - what could be bad? Keep us posted, I'd like to know how it's working for you.

nicolen
01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
I love reading all these stories. I really do - it's an incredible boost to read through and realise how wonderful the little things are...

I had my review at work on Thursday. It went OK - there are a couple of things I have to work on, of course, but I already knew that going in. During the meeting, my boss made the comment (and put it on the review) that she's been really impresed with the way I've coped in the last six months since she took over the team. She took over the team in late July when the depression was at its worst and since then she's watched as I've gotten back to where I was. I know that I've improved out of all sight since then, but it's nice to hear that from her, and it wa acknowledged on my review document, so her compliments are offiical, so to speak. :carrot: :carrot:

LisaMarie71
01-26-2007, 09:57 PM
lilybelle, good luck with the changes you're making -- I know you'll make it work and it will be great!

nicolen, congrats on the good review at work -- that's fantastic!

I get comments every day about my weight loss now, so today I actually decided to count how many people said something. EIGHT people complimented me today, either asking how much I've lost or just saying I look great (I prefer the latter!) Several of them were students -- the rest were fellow teachers. For some reason, I love when the students say something about it. When teenagers notice something beyond their latest text message, it's a miracle! :lol:

crazynette826
01-27-2007, 07:59 AM
So many wonderful NSVs. I love reading them. I think I prefer these over scale victories. Even though sometimes I feel that the scale rules my life!

Anyways, my NSV is that I went shopping today and bought size 16 jeans from the misses side!!! I also tried on a size 14 skirt and it fit great!! I only bought the jeans, because hopefully I won't be this size for long. I was just excited that the skirt fit, and looked good!! :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

DramaQueenLucy
01-27-2007, 09:29 AM
I had a friend stop by yesterday that hasn't seen me in a while and she said that she could really see my weight loss in my neck...I guess this means that I am getting one again!!!

Now for the biggie I have been smoke free for 7 days!!!!

lilybelle
01-27-2007, 01:18 PM
nicolen, WTG on the good review, I know it means a lot when the higher ups notice our efforts and give us praise.

Lisa, it does feel so awesome to get those compliments esp. from the teenagers. I know when my kids or their friends compliment me it means even more than the adult compliments I get. WTG.

crazynette, WTG on the clothing NSV. That does feel so great.

Lucy, WTG on the neck compliment. I basically had no neck to start with. My chins just all ran together. If you see my before pic, you'll see what I'm talking about.

rockinrobin, I did lose my wt. eating that many cal's. My choices were very limited and I definitely didnt get near enough fiber. (I ate strawberries, cherries, cantalope, fresh pineapple and watermelon pretty often). I'd actually feel guilty for craving a banana or orange at times, but did eat them sometimes. (I allowed myself 1/2 a sweet potato every week or two). This really is a very big food change for me. I had whole wheat pancakes with 1TBSP peanut butter and SF syrup this morning. It was awesome. Lunch will be a turkey sandwich on LC whole wheat bread and an apple. Dinner will be spaghetti sauce with whole wheat pasta and a small ear of corn on the cob with 0 cal. butter spray. My snacks today will be a banana and a bag of lite popcorn. With all the fiber I'm now getting, my constipation has gone away and I'm no longer having that big knot in my lower right quadrant of my stomach. These are huge changes for me. I feel like I have a lot of new food choices and I'm loving it. I'm sticking to 1450 cal. max for now and will eventually increase slowly if I find that I'm losing wt. at this. I want to keep my wt. in the 140-145 range. I love using fitday, it is a great help with the changes I'm making. The only down side is that I haven't told my specialist (that put me on the LC diet) that I am changing the way I eat. I see him again in April. I think if he sees that I'm maintaining my wt. that it will be OK with him. I am diabetic so still have to keep that in mind when shopping. I have noticed that since I have hyperinsulinism that with the added carbs that I need my snacks to keep from having my blood sugar bottom out when my insulin surges from the extra carbs. I am having my snack 2 hrs. after my meals. So far, I feel fine. I'm keeping a close watch on my blood sugar by checking it 3 times a day and so far it's staying in the normal range. I don't have anything against the Atkins program. Many people lose a lot of weight that way and I did too. I never felt hungry. Due to my liver disease, I needed the wt. off as quickly as possible. It took it off and for that I am thankful. I just now want a balanced food plan that I can live with for life. Something that is very high in fiber and prevents my stomach pain and constipation. I imagine I lost wt. so great because prior to starting Atkins, I typically had 4000 cal's a day and was nearly bed-bound and certainly house bound. Now, I walk most every day, use the elliptical and have way fewer cal's than I was used to getting.

Mrs Quadcrew
01-27-2007, 06:38 PM
GREAT NSV's everyone!!! Lily ~ I just love following your posts - always informative for me!

I had my own NSV today ~ we went to Texas Roadhouse for lunch (which I avoid like the plague because I LOVE everything they have!) I have done so well with my new lifestyle, I thought we could give it a try. I DID IT!!!

DH ordered Rattlesnake bites as an appetizer ~ we each ate 2 (and didn't dip them in the horseradish sauce!)The server put those great rolls on the table - and I really didn't even care for one!!! WOOHOOOO!!!

I ordered a large sirloin (which is 16 ounces) and a plain baked sweet potato, and house salad with dressing on the side. I asked for a box as soon as the food came. I cut 1/4 of the steak off for me to eat, and cut the potato in half - and immediately put them in the to go box. (I still have 3 servings of steak to eat - I will eat another 4 ounce tomorrow for lunch and cut the rest of it up for a stir fry tomorrow night!) I ate 1/2 of a roll - and a handful of peanuts and THAT WAS IT!!

My former self would've eaten the whole steak, loaded that potato with borwn sugar and butter, and eaten at least 3 or 4 of the rolls. (and half the order of rattlesnake bites and a ton of peanuts to boot!)

DH said "you're REALLY serious about this aren't you??" YES I AM!!! Andyou know what is the coolest thing of all?? I DIDN'T FEEL DEPRIVED. Not one second! I am just soo excited about this - it was such a big deal for me!

lilybelle
01-27-2007, 07:59 PM
WTG Mrs. Quadcrew on the food NSV. I would have wanted to eat at least 1/2 that steak at one sitting. I do now ask for take out boxes when my food arrives at the table. I actually think a sweet potato baked tastes good with nothing on it. I never used brown sugar on mine, but I did put butter on it generously in the past.

I had one myself tonite. My DD and I were shopping at Walmart. We were very hungry. We walked into the McDonald's there. I asked how many cal's were in the grilled chicken sandwich. They said 420 (I think), I said "never mind, we'll wait and eat when we get home". We came home and ate a PB and SF jelly sandwich on LC wheat bread. Total of 210 cal's. I was proud of this decision. As being new to calorie counting, I'm not too ashamed to ask a food place how much cal's is in their food. I want to do this right. I worked hard to take these lbs. off and I don't intend to regain them.

carolr3639
01-27-2007, 08:02 PM
I think even a grilled chicken sandwich might have mayo and if you left that off it would take off 100 calories.

lilybelle
01-27-2007, 08:11 PM
carol, I thought about that on the way home, the mayo is probably what makes it so high in cal's. I have avoided all fast food places for the past yr. and a half, so might as well keep that as my general rule. . I can remember back to eating the McDonald's meal with the 2 cheeseburgers and they had absolutely a ton of mayo. on them. I used to scrape it off. You couldn't even taste any meat for the mayo.

NewDay4MeToo
01-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Lilybelle, way to go on asking how many calories! You did great.

lilybelle
01-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Thanks. It did kind of remind me of the movie. SuperSize Me. It took 3 different people to even find a list of the calories in their food. I felt bad for the people in line behind me. The employees looked at me like it was a joke that I wanted to know the calories.

rockinrobin
01-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Lilybelle, when I am stuck shopping like in the mall and I am starving I also ask for calorie counts. I wind up with the frozen yogurt. I remember when I frist asked the man behind the counter how many calories it was. I must have been 240 lbs at the time, maybe more, and he looked at me like I was INSANE. He must have been thinking why in the world would I care. But I did care and I'm entitled to know about what I am putting down my throat.

As for your new diet, it sounds real exciting. Your new breakfast sounded yummy. I am THRILLED for you that your stomach problems are already improved. That is amazing. Now, I thought the whole thing with Atkins is that you DON'T have to count your calories. Am I wrong? That if you wanted to you could eat endless quantities of say chicken breasts. Or eggs or any no carb food. I specifically didn't choose Atkins as my plan even though you can have more calories. There is really nothing I ever want to totally eliminate from my diet. Certainly the pasta and the such would have to be greatly limited, but just knowing that I COULD eat it in moderation is something that appealed to me. Fitday IS pretty cool, isn't it? If you're ever looking for the calories in a recipe try calorie-count. com. No need to be a member. Log on. Click on Recipes on the gray bar, then click on Recipe analyzer when that comes up. I find it much easier to get the facts for recipes on this site. Check it out. I think you will like it.

I'm curious to know why your Dr. chose Atkins in the first place? Did he think with your health issues this was the best plan? well, duh, obviously. If this is not too personal - was he just interested in getting the weight off as quickly as possible or was there a particular reason he wanted you to avoid carbs? I am a firm believer in we know what's best for ourselves, that's why we make our own "diet" plans, based on our needs and wants and that they definitely have to be changed from time to time when they are no longer taking care of our needs, your boredom with the food, your constipation problems are all very, very valid reasons for changing up your diet plan. And I have no doubt that you will be able to maintain with this new lifestyle. I am glad you are going to see your Dr. and therefore will be able to discuss with him the changes that you have implemented. I hope he is in total agreement that the changes that you are making will be in your best health interests. You and I both know only too well how hard it is to lose a baby calf. ;) I'm sure you will do whatever needs to be done to keep that baby calf from ever coming back. Speaking of animals, how are your puppies doing?

Mrs. Quadcrew, I'm very happy for you. You are really into this weightloss stuff. It's a great place to be!!! Keep up the great work.

Dramaqueen, I am thrilled for you beyond belief that you have gone 7 days without cigarettes. Excellent, to say the least!!!

Yes, Nicolen that must have been excellent to hear. WTG!!

LisaMarie, compliments are GREAT, gotta admit it. Teenagers - even better!!!

crazynette, Those clothing NSV's are just the BEST!!!!! I'm very happy for you. :carrot:

lilybelle
01-28-2007, 10:25 PM
robin, on Atkins you don't count calories at all. When I decided that I'd had enough of the stomach problems and felt it was safe to test the waters to try to maintain my wt. loss in a different manner, I plugged in my typical daily food that I was getting on Atkins to see where to start my calorie level at. OMG, was I shocked. I had been losing wt. and maintaining the loss on 2300 calories a day. . The experienced maintainers told me to expect a water wt. gain while body adjusts to the addition of the carbs. I did go up 1 lb. the first 2 days. I was scared, but I weighed today and am down 2 lbs.

My dr. wanted the wt. off quickly so I could qualify to be put on the liver transplant list. He thought low-carb would work best since my insulin level was 10 times too high. It is now only 4 x too high and I take medicine for it. The nice thing is now that I lost the wt. my liver enzymes have improved drastically. Due to my disease, I will still eventually have to get the transplant but I'm doing OK right now. I'll really think he'll agree with the changes I have made as long as my lab work stays good and I maintain my wt. loss.

Oh the puppies, we have 13 now instead of 12. No, Molly didn't miraculously have one more. DH went and bought a beagle puppy for his daughter. She gets to pick it up in March when she is here for spring break. DH called and told me he was buying this puppy and said "oh it's so cute", my immediate reaction was "if it doesn't have a plug in it's butt, it's not cute to me". LOL. Can you imagine how much puppy poo I have cleaned the last 6 weeks. Thankfully they are all outside now, but we had freezing rain, snow and horribly cold temps for a while and they couldn't be put outside.. My pups should all be picked up over the next 2 weeks. They are adorable, fat and healthy. I'm keeping one pup for us.

I had a small NSV today. It was my son's 21st b-day and I made him chocolate cake with ice cream. I cut myself a small serving of cake with the rest of the family and had actually planned it out ahead of time as a treat and had fit it into my calorie allotment for the day. I decided I could skip on the ice cream. Now that's a first. I sent the entire rest of the cake to work with DH for him to share with his co-workers..

GirlyGirlSebas
01-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Lilybelle, Congratulations for going up against the ice cream cake...and winning!

Today was my first official measurement day. Lost a total of 9.75 inches for the month! 4.0 of those inches were around my waist. :carrot:

finn
01-29-2007, 10:36 AM
My latest NSV was while getting my eyes tested at the weekend the optometrist was asking if I played any sports (and if I'd need glasses from them). When I said 'running' I was expecting a certain 'look' from him that basically said yeah right...the only running she does is from the car to the house. But instead he said he runs too and we had a great conversation about milages and my plans to do a half-marathon this year. It made me feel great!

lilybelle
01-29-2007, 11:06 AM
GG, WTG on the inches lost. That is great.

finn, WTG on the running and the nice chat about it with the optometrist.
I remember once when I went to a wt. loss clinic. The Dr. asked if I did any exercise. I piped up and said I played golf 4 times a week. He said "I know you must use a golf cart, you sure don't walk the golf course". I weighed about 220 at the time. It hurt my feelings but he was right. I pulled that cart as close as possible to my ball. LOL. I sold the cart now and can walk the course now, but can't swing a golf club anymore due to my pain over my right side. But, I do go and walk the course and watch my DH play. I sure miss playing. I wasn't good, but I still loved it.

My little NSV, last night before bed my DH went and had a bowl of spaghetti. I decided I could use a snack too. I chose a small banana instead of the spaghetti to keep within my calorie allotment.

EnglishMuffin
01-29-2007, 01:01 PM
- Just had my first anniversary as a gym user and I used it 3 times a week all year
- Had an induction at my new gym and my resting heart rate is 55bpm and my blood pressure is now normal after years of it being sky high - best news!

booklover
01-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Good morning chicks! I just had to write and tell you of my first NSV. I've been on the South Beach diet tracking my weight every day, but waiting for the first tangible sign of weight loss to appear. Numbers mean a lot, but it's nice to have noticeable as well as numerical results. I found my first NSV this weekend.

Some of you may have experienced the uncomfortable moments that come with flying on an airplane in a larger size body. This became an issue for me over the last three months when I put on some additional weight after being at the same weight for 3 years. I can fit in the seat relatively comfortably, but have dreaded the seatbelts. Sometimes they fit, but sometimes they don't. Sometimes I can BARELY buckle them by squeezing my thighs and crushing my belly. Other times, there's just no way it's gonna happen. I have never asked for a seatbelt extender because of the mortification factor. Instead, I chose to "hide" my girth and unbuckled seat belt behind a sweater or purse. It's worked so far, but there's still the residual fear and embarressment of being exposed as too big in a public place.

Well, this past weekend I flew down to LA on business, and I'm proud to say I had no seatbelt problems whatsoever. On both outgoing and return flights I was able to buckle the seatbelt easily and had about 2 inches of strap leftover. :carrot: It's the little things like this which give me the motivation to stick with it and reach my goal. Oh happy day!

Thanks for your support.

Lifeguard
01-29-2007, 02:19 PM
I haven't been in here for a long time - getting back to working is tiring!!!

Anyway, my first week of work I lost 3lbs! I think it is because it is so easy to get my water & veggies in. I just keep the bag of carrots & bottle of water on my desk & before I know it they are gone.

lilybelle
01-29-2007, 03:46 PM
English Muffin, WTG on the health NSV's that is awesome and the gym , WTG.

booklover congrat's on that airplane seatbelt fitting, that must have felt great.

Lifeguard, fill us all in on how the new job is going. Do you like it? WTG on getting in the veggies and water and losing 3 lbs. Great job.

NESunshine
01-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Alright yesterday was a challenge. It was a high stress day with work and come the end of the huge stack of errors I found I was so frustrated! All I wanted to do was go home, drink a bottle of wine, eat a big bowl of pasta and smoke an entire pack of cigarettes.
I made it out of the office without bumming any smokes from anyone, went straight home, got changed and went straight to the gym where I took my days frustrations out constructively on the elliptical. I then went home and had a lovely grilled chicken, and veggies dinner and went to bed where I was able to sleep very well, straight through the night without any 'bad database' dreams.
Today is officially 2 weeks smoke free, 42 days party girl (or alone hiding in her apartment girl) binge drinking free, and a another day I made it through the food craving fight. The challenges are tough but I'm kicking my 'devil' sides' butt. Today I'm alert, energized and ready to attack the stack of problems from yesterday and feeling so happy that I didn't give into any of my former 'dealing with stress' crutches!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Today is officially 2 weeks smoke free, 42 days party girl (or alone hiding in her apartment girl) binge drinking free, and a another day I made it through the food craving fight.

:carrot: You're awesome!

Mrs Quadcrew
01-30-2007, 11:22 AM
NE - got that MOJO working!!!:carrot: :carrot: Keep it up girl!!!

Mrs Quadcrew
01-30-2007, 11:25 AM
This is a NSV that is from how MY eating changes are changing those around me! My Grandson (who is 7) spent the night. When it was lunch time I asked him what he wanted for lunch......his reply was "monster yogurt and some vegetables!" Translated....I buy the "bright" colored yogurt for him only and he wanted a big salad too!! I asked him if he wanted a sandwich or anything to go with it and he said "no thank you!" - that just tickled me to no end.

It just makes me so happy that HE is learning good eating habits NOW so he will never have the issues with weight that most of our family has.

Lifeguard
01-30-2007, 12:40 PM
NESunshine - great work!! That's a lot of cravings overcome - I'm impressed!

My job is going pretty good so far. My direct "supervisor" is a bit of a ninny but I'm able to take him with a grain of salt. I am an office manager for a small company & I'm the only woman - which is a little weird. I am left alone to take care of things a fair amount & that suits me just fine. Unfortunately it is an 160km commute (round trip) so I spend a lot of time driving.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-30-2007, 01:55 PM
It just makes me so happy that HE is learning good eating habits NOW so he will never have the issues with weight that most of our family has.

What an awesome gift to your grandson!

rockinrobin
01-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Lily, I'm glad your new lifestyle is going well. Did you ever think you'd have yet ANOTHER new lifestyle? Funny how life is and the different paths it takes us on. I hope you get a huge thumbs up from your Doctor in April. I'll be anxiously waiting.

Those puppies sound too unbelievably cute. They must be quite the handful. I bet on one hand you can't wait to get rid of them, but on the other hand it will be incredibly hard to part with the little guys. I can't believe you allowed yet another pup in the house. You are too much.

NESUnshine, you are amazing. I am sooo incredibly proud of you. You leave me speechless. :hug:

Lifeguard, congrats on the 3 lbs, I'm very happy for you.

Mrs. Quadcrew, that is a great story. That's what it's all about.

Booklover, glad you flight went well. I'm still waiting to get back on a plane after avoiding them for over 13 yrs.

English Muffin- that is simply marvelous news!!!!

I must say as JAnuary comes to a close, this was quite a full thread. Can't wait for February's NSV.

RememberHowToSmile
01-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Lifeguard - I'm glad you like the new job!

Lily - great job on the weight loss.

Booklover - isn't that a great feeling. I was exactly the same way and when I flew in December I had the same experience.

Sunshine - Wonderful! All of that is so hard to do. I'm glad you found a healthier way to release your fustration. I am super impressed by the 42 days without bing drinking (being I use to be a bit of a party girl).

As for me:
I wore these dark jeans I bought awhile ago for the first time and I looked at myself in the mirror and was surprised because my thighs are actually looking smaller (one of my problem areas). I also have been wearing hoodies a lot lately because it is so cold but they are all at least a size to big on me (it actually looks like I’m wearing someone elses clothing).

NewDay4MeToo
01-30-2007, 11:07 PM
What wonderful NSV's everyone!

You, in particular, NE! You are a wonderwoman! How wonderful!

As for me, I exercised today! Wahooo!!!!!!!!!

sexybrokechick
01-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Even though I haven't been able to exercise all week because I got hit with a cold, I have a NSV. I was able to put on a pair of jeans and not feel like I was trying to stuff a sausage in them. They fit well. :)

boaterswife
01-31-2007, 02:49 PM
RememberHowToSmile, smaller thighs....what could be better? Way to go!

Christine, good for you for getting that exercise in! Not only will you be smaller, but you'll be all toned up, too!

SexyBrokeChic....ahhhhh....jeans that you can put on without laying on the bed or jumping up and down.....that's heaven!

As for me, I got off work just a bit early and had time to kill before picking up DD from school, so I stopped at Macy's (I can't seem to stay out of there!) to try on some clothes. Well, the next blue jean size down, a 12, fit me great! Then I saw some hooded sweatshirt jackets clearanced for $6.99 so I tried one on....I needed a MEDIUM!!! Go me, go me!!! I don't think I've had a medium anything since middle school!

boaterswife
01-31-2007, 02:50 PM

Christine, good for you for getting that exercise in! Not only will you be smaller, but you'll be all toned up, too!

SexyBrokeChic....ahhhhh....jeans that you can put on without laying on the bed or jumping up and down.....that's heaven!

As for me, I got off work just a bit early and had time to kill before picking up DD from school, so I stopped at Macy's (I can't seem to stay out of there!) to try on some clothes. Well, the next blue jean size down, a 12, fit me great! Then I saw some hooded sweatshirt jackets clearanced for $6.99 so I tried one on....I needed a MEDIUM!!! Go me, go me!!! I don't think I've had a medium anything since middle school!

boaterswife
01-31-2007, 02:50 PM