Simply Filling/Core - Core Chat for January 1-7, 2007

View Full Version : Core Chat for January 1-7, 2007

ontarget
01-01-2007, 07:36 AM
WELCOME TO 2007 !!:hug:

thought i'd start the new year with a new chat thread. are you as excited as i am about the new year? i woke up early this morning and am now in the process of rereading my ww materials. i feel like i'm starting the new year with a bang! i haven't been this excited in quite a while. i have felt for some time now that 07 was going to be a great year. guess i'm ready to start enjoying.

Katpo
01-01-2007, 10:23 AM
It IS going to be a great year, I can already tell! I even had a good sign this morning ... when I stepped on the scale, it said 130.4. I blinked and looked again, then I stepped off and got back on. The second time, it said 146. Shucks!! :lol: I guess it's time to change the battery!

But at least I've got a good starting place and haven't gained anything over the holidays, so that's good.

Everyone have a really great day! I'll be back in a while.

derrydaughter
01-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the new thread and welcome to 2007. I think re-reading all the WW materials is really a great idea.
I've got to recommitt myself and it's hard to break bad habits.
I'm going to write up a menu for the week, I think, and post it on my refrigerator so I can be accountable.
Linda

Vickie
01-01-2007, 11:05 AM
:newyear: EVERYONE!!!!

Good Luck to all of us. I, for one, intend to be much smaller at this time next year. You can hold me to that.

Vickie
01-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I LOVE the idea of rereading the WW materials, especially since I didn't take the time to read the new ones when the came out. I was too busy getting ready for the holidays. I'll do that today.

Kathy, how exciting for you to see 130. ****...I'd be happy to see 230!

Sandra, did you bring in the New Year in the hot tub?! You lucky girl.

Linda, I've been making menus a couple of days ahead and it seems to be helping me to stay on plan.

I've got nothing planned today except for cooking dinner and working on the medical bills for tax time. Actually, my stomach is feeling kind of queasy. I'll be taking it pretty darned easy.

What are you all up to today?

aghiowa
01-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Today we have Christmas finally with the in-laws. It's the first time since before Christmas that dh's family is all in the same state. :) So we'll go over, have lunch, and exchange gifts.

Last night we had our traditional seafood and game fest for New Year's Eve. I had a good time and definitely didn't overeat. Unfortunately, I had overeaten all day before that. I really hope I've not gained this week, although I can expect it. :(

I have resolved to make healthy choices this day/week/month/year. I haven't been in the last few days, and I feel icky.

I will also re-read my WW materials...sounds like a good idea to me.

Later!
Angela

ontarget
01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
howdy there, chickies. i am slowly fading away. not weight--energy. i will probably be taking a nap later on. i did get in some treadmilling this morning. my plan is to do an hour a day of some kind of exercise every day. i am not going to count archery training but will count tournament time.

i finished re-reading my ww materials and am armed and ready. there's enough core food in the house so i'm good to go.

it's good to see all the enthusiasm here. 07 is going to be "the year of the chicks." i feel it in my bones.

kathy, i'd be happy to see 146. i'll bet you were excited when you saw 130. i don't know if i'd fix my scales or not.

vickie, we hot tubbed around 11:30. we tried to wait but couldn't. it was nice out there on the deck with fireworks in the valley below. (other folks weren't waiting for midnight either. :lol:) i hope you're feeling better. i'm glad you don't have to do a lot today. :bubbles: (i don't have to do much either.)

linda, that's a good idea about posting your week's menu. i'm not that prepared.

angela, i'll bet you have a weightloss this week.

Tejas
01-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Good afternoon all:

I slept in until 10:30, took doggies out and now I start the cooking. It won't be too difficult to prepare but it will be difficult not to eat what I'm making for others. But, I'm gonna make it through this day with restraint.

Vickie: From the last thread: I'd be happy to spend time with you. So, when I head for Chicago, I'll let you know! OR, you come this way and I we'll paint the town CORE.

I'm very excited about the New Year. This time last year I thought what could be so hard about losing a pound a week. I found out and I'm humbled by it. So, this year, I'll try again!! :D

Have a great day everyone..the sun is shining here, it's about 40F and it feels like a North Texas, not a Toronto, New Years.

When I put the food in the oven, I'm headed out for a 30 minute power walk :running:

Rhonda

Tejas
01-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I'll accept your Sweetheart Challenge Sandra...now, I just have to figure out how to add a tracker! :comp:

ontarget
01-01-2007, 02:05 PM
rhonda, right click on my tracker then follow the directions. when you get to the end copy the url that's for posting on 3fc.

then go to "user cp" then to "edit signature" and paste it in. that's all there is to it. :bubbles: (kathy taught me how to do it.)

Vickie
01-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey Chicks! I'm about to make farina/cream of wheat pancakes for lunch. It's all Core and I got it off of BCB's. I'll let you know if it's good. I just got online to make sure that farina and cream of wheat measure the same. Jim is eating lo sloppy joes but I had enough of them.

He rented three movies for us. Right now we are watching Little Miss Sunshine. So far, I'm not liking it so much. Maybe it will get better.

Talk to you all later.

Vickie
01-01-2007, 03:41 PM
The pancakes were good. They had a bit of a buckwheat texture. The recipe was definitely for two people. I'll cut it in half next time and make it less sweet. I'll share when I perfect it.

The Froufie roast is all rubbed up and in the refrigerator marinating. Yum....yum.

Tejas
01-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Ham is in the oven (I know it says to just serve at room temperature, but I know TOO MUCH about food borne bugs and this ham will be cooked again!). The potatoes are ready for the pot; the peas (green and black-eyed for good luck) are in their pots. Pie is made and on the back stoop because there is NO room in the 'fridge.

Guests arriving in 1/2 hour and, Chickies, this is the LAST big meal I cook in the house until I get a new stove. The temperature control on the elements is GONE, GONE, GONE :tantrum: What should have been easy was a nightmare!

Rhonda

Katpo
01-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Good afternoon! I've been getting my exercise with sweeping and mopping. We have tile in the entry, which runs all down beside the living and dining room, then thru the kitchen and breakfast room. It was covered with muddy little doggyprints due to the rain we had the other day.

I don't know about you all, but I'm already tired of the "diet" commercials that are on TV. I'll be glad to go back to work tomorrow! Speaking of which, I have sweaters and jeans that need to be dropped off at the dry cleaners in the morning, so I'd better go ahead and put them in the car or I'll forget. MIL gives me cashmere sweaters every Christmas and I have quite a collection; love-love-LOVE them but I'm not crazy about the dry cleaning aspect of them.

Rhonda, I hope you get that new stove soon. There's nothing worse than trying to figure it all out when you don't know the temp. I had a stove once that cooked at whatever temp it wanted to, with absolutely no rhyme or reason. Good luck with your guests!

Vickie, the pancakes sound good. I'll have to try them after you get the recipe like you want it.

Dinner tonight will be broiled tilapia for us, and little steaks on the GF grill for Erin, who isn't a big fan of fish. She'll eat it but I figure I'll just make her something else. We'll also have broccoli and probably corn.

Break time is over ... back to the sweeping and mopping.

ontarget
01-01-2007, 07:04 PM
hi there. we had a great core lunch of mahi mahi and veggies. curtis is now having some sf/ff pudding. i'll have mine with a banana later. i'm working extra hard to do "guidelines for healthy eating." i even got in 2 teaspoons oo at lunch. i'll have some sf hot chocolate later. getting the milk/oil has always been my problem. should i say HAD BEEN?

vickie, i'd love the recipe. i made the fall muffins that included cream of wheat and they were really good.

rhonda, will you lend me some money? we didn't eat any black-eyed peas. we're both too lazy to get dressed to go to the store today. oh, well.

kathy, you must have a lot of cashmere. wish i did. i'm enjoying my new jacket. so far i've gotten compliments on it every time i've worn it. i'm going to go through closets and rid some more clothes in a bit.

Vickie
01-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey Chicks! I just finished watching WTC with Nicholas Cage. I knew I couldn't see it at the show and I was right. Sobbing interrupts other people in movie theaters. What a great movie. It wasn't sensationalized at all. It just focused on 2 Port Authority Police Officers. It's a twenty hanky film. I think we should never ever forget.

The Froufie roast is in the oven and OH MY....the smell of garlic is to die for! I have about 5 minutes before I have to go make gravy for Jim and start the corn and mash the potatoes. I'm starving! Well ok....I'm very hungry.

I'll see if I can catch up with all of you before my buzzer goes off.

Vickie
01-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Angela, I'm proud of you for making good choices. Parties are SO hard. Have a great time again today celebrating Christmas. My one Sister has you beat. She's celebrating with her kids up here on the 6th! I didn't feel good at Christmastime when I was eating all the junk. I'm just starting to feel better now.

Sandra, Jim and I stayed up until 1:00! Did you nap today? It doesn't sound like you did. I didn't know your jacket was cashmere. It must be beautiful you little cutie patootie!

Rhonda, Jim and I would love to pain the town Core with you! I know what you mean about the pound a week. I very arrogantly thought that would be a breeze. I'll continue to shoot for it but I'll also try not to be down in the dumps if it doesn't happen. Did you get your power walk in? I'd hate it if my oven didn't work. I'm always telling Jim that I'm not going to spend all that time shopping, planning, and cooking if I don't have great tools and it's not going to turn out good. Luckily, he doesn't give me a hard time about replacing stuff. Have fun picking your new stove. I know your party will be a great success!

Kathy, I've never had a cashmere sweater but I'm sure they are wonderful. Maybe I'll get down to your size one day and you'll share! ;) I still have never tried tilapia but I want to. I don't remember if I ever asked you this before or not. Can I order tilapia broiled dry or with olive oil at a restaurant? Do you think dry would be awful?

Gotta go. The potatoes cooked faster than I thought and the roast will be done in about 15 minutes. I'll try to pop back in later.

Katpo
01-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Sandra, you're right. I have a whole lot of the sweaters, but they're all different styles so it's not so bad. I even bought myself one after Christmas because we had that dreaded family picture made (reminds me that I didn't get ours from MIL) and everyone was supposed to wear red, black or green. I wore black last year so I figured I'd do red this time. I got it at Kohl's and it was originally $82, on sale for $35.

I guess I'm going to have to make a Froufie roast soon. We are big garlic eaters too and everybody loves roast, so it sounds like a good solution. Plus, if I make a big enough one, it would be great lunch leftovers for work.

I ended up getting lazy and making the turkey veggie chili. It's just ground turkey, onion, bell pepper (I used red), garlic, a package of frozen corn, a can of pinto beans and a can of tomatoes. Then I added a lot of garlic powder and Judd will add jalapenos to his. I just felt like a one-pot meal tonight because I'm still not done with the laundry and don't want to spend the last evening cleaning up a messy kitchen.

Lunch for tomorrow is made though; tuna salad. It's my favorite thing to take for lunch and you'd think I would be sick of it, but I'm not. I'll make my scrambled egg right before I head out the door.

Oh and the main New Years' resolution is to get to work at 7 or before. We'll see how long that lasts, huh? ;)

ontarget
01-01-2007, 07:51 PM
vickie, i want to see that movie. your dinner sounds delicious. i'm getting ready to have sf/ff pudding/banana. i just finished today's exercise.

Vickie
01-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Hmmmm....exercise. Guess I better start working up to that. I won't know what my ankle will handle until I try, will I?

Katpo
01-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Dry wouldn't be too bad, but olive oil would really be good. I spray the pan with the olive oil Pam and then drizzle more on top. It doesn't have a fishy smell, at least not to me, and I think you'd like it. Orange roughy is another favorite that's not too fishy.

Enjoy your dinner!

ontarget
01-01-2007, 07:54 PM
my jacket isn't cashmere. it's a fake fur. we took a long nap then had a late late lunch.

(i'm typing fast cuz i need to get offline.)

kathy, i love sweaters. i don't think anyone can have too many. that's a good bargain you got there. did the albertson's in burleson on i-35w close?

Katpo
01-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Burleson stayed open. The four that closed yesterday were Mansfield, The Colony, Oak Cliff and North Richland Hills. I guess now if I need something, I'll have to stop in Arlington on the way home from work.

Froufy
01-01-2007, 09:09 PM
HAPPY 2007!

Well last night was quite fun - ended up going out for dinner at Red Lobster - yes I splurged a bit - but instead of wine or a drink (which usually lessens my resolve) I filled up on diet coke with my broiled fisherman's feast - and ate 1 too many of those cheddar buns! Then off to the family new year's eve party - saw a juggler, magician and lots of people out skating on the rink outside. At 10 pm there was a 'countdown' and a lovely fireworks display. then home (like a 5 min ride) and watched tv til midnight and drank some champage.

The bad news was my foot - something was really hurting on bottom of right foot - not much to see - dh got the tweezers and magnifier out thinking I had a sliver - then poked and prodded at my foot for a good 15 mins - then I ended up soaking it in the tub. Of course it DID not feel much better today (have a bandaid on it now) and not sure if there is a sliver or something or it is just sore from being poked at so much?

DESPITE this I forced myself onto the treadmill tonight (wore my extra padded expensive walking socks) for 30 mins at 3.1 mph - it seemed longer than usual but I DID IT! Now having my cherries snack.

Got home from the open house party at around 6:30 pm (dh has jamming/practice tonight) but while I did nurse a couple of diet cokes - I did eat qutie a bit (even having had lunch before I left). Nothing horrendous but probably could have cut back? (little mini pitas w/tzaziki dip, a couple of cheese cubes, couple of almonds, marinated chicken breast, lots of carrots and celery sticks w/dip, some string cheese). So did not have supper when I got home and trying to stick up in the bedroom and avoid the kitchen.

And a great NSV for me - got up this morning at 11 am and realized I had to bake those cookies - so had breakfast first - drank tea while I made them and did not have a SINGLE LICK OR BITE...I think this is the key. There were several times when my fingers got dirty or a bit of cookie dough was leftover, but as long as I did not have ANY I was okay. It's that first taste (leading to a hundred other tastes) that does me in. I did have some backup chewing gum available if required.

And yes after ALL the cookies were packaged I ate the one I left out for myself to have a taste and it was good!

Dreading tomorrow and going back to work - and trying to figure out how in the heck I am going to get up and out of here when I am used to sleeping in til 10 or 11 am?

Kathy - good job on cleaning out the old clothes - I always have a 'donation' bag going and ready for when they come to pick up. Good luck at work tomorrow.

Vickie - so did you like Little Miss Sunshine - it's a bit 'unusual' as movies go. What else did you watch?

Angela - sounds like you did great with your 'feasting' - good for you.

Sandra - I can't imagine anything more lovely than sitting in a hot tub on new year's even watching the fireworks!

Rhonda - I'm with you on 'food safety' having worked in the Office of Food Safety and Recall at the Canadian food inspection agency - you want to be scared that's the place to be. Since working there my fridge has never been so 'cleaned out' - I really shudder when I see some of the food handling mistakes made by others! Always better to be safe than sorry I say!

Hope you get a new stove - sounds like you've done the old one in :D!

So some fruit packed for tomorrow, and a lean cuisine (no lo here unfortunately) prepared - will throw in some yogurt - and hope for the best. Wish me luck!

Frouf

ontarget
01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
just finished watching the old movie, airplane. lots of laughs there. (real classy movie, right?) oh, well. now curtis is watching some the outdoor channel.

vickie, i did an hour total exercise today. i feel pretty good about it. tomorrow i'll go back to w a. i like that better than treadmill/exercise bike. i hope your foot is all right. be careful not to overdo it.

kathy, i'm glad the burleson store is still there. it's hard to imagine albertson's closing stores. i thought their business was booming. little do i know.

frouf, it was gorgeous last night--a little cold on the tootsies running between the tub and the house--but beautiful. we hot tub almost every night. the wind kept us inside the other evening. rain and snow will keep us in, too.

i am impressed with your 3.1 mph. i did 2.5 today and thought that was fast enough. i'm just happy my feet are holding up all right. curtis spends more time on the bike because of his knees.

i'm going to have hot chocolate in a few minutes. i may have popcorn later if there's anything good to watch on tv. if there isn't, i'll prob play soduko or do some scrapbooking. (guess which one i should do.)

aghiowa
01-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Hmm, I have a roast in the freezer. Is the Froufie roast recipe on the recipe board? Maybe I'll thaw it out and make it tomorrow, along with some veggies.

We had a nice time at the in-laws today. The girls each got a backpack filled with sleeping bag, flashlight, whistle w/compass, drink bottle, and individual tent! I'm amazed it all fit in there. The tents are so cute - 4' X 4' dome tents that you can set up inside. So now we have 3 tents in our living room. I think the cats have adopted them as nice nap zones. :lol: I will have to put them away pretty soon, but they're fun for now.

Later,
Angela

Tejas
01-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Hi:

Sounds like everyone had a good day.

Kathy, I hope if you get to work by 7AM it helps with the stress level. Remember that you are supposed to leave earlier also!

My meal was a success. The twice-baked ham was delicious, peas were good (sorry Sandra, you are my favorite cousin but if you forgot your black-eyed peas I won't be able to help you :D). The requested chocolate pie didn't set well because of the temperature control problems. The kitchen sink is full of dirty dishes and, as much as I hate waking up to a dirty kitchen, I gave DH the night off from dishes. He can do them tomorrow :lol:

The tents in the living room sound cute. There's nothing like kids to rearrange the use of space a little.

Frouf...good job on not eating those cookies. I got my walk in and I'm sorry to hear about your foot. Maybe soaking it in warm water with Epsom salts would take out any soreness.

I'm turning in...talk to everyone tomorrow.

Rhonda

ontarget
01-02-2007, 12:19 AM
sounds like everyone had a great start to 07. ain't it grand!

Katpo
01-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Good morning! My plan worked -- I got up at 5:30 when the alarm went off, left at 6:00 and got here at 6:20. Leaving at that time has another advantage in that it usually takes me 45 minutes to get to work on a regular day, but there was no traffic this morning. Part is probably because school hasn't started back yet. I guess we'll see how tomorrow goes. I can get my 10 hours in with no problem and still get to leave at 4:20 (I never take a lunch break, just eat at my desk) ... get to the store, home to make dinner and clean it up and I'll STILL have an hour or so of downtime before bed. I think it'll work!

Angela, the tents sound cute and what a great gift! I'm sure the girls (and cats) will enjoy them!

Better get cracking on it ... see you all in a little while!

Vickie
01-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm up and about to go get ready to go to WW. I know there will be a large gain. I just don't know how much of it is from the TOM that has been looming for over a week. Sigh. I've been arguing with myself about not going but it really doesn't change what is true. So I'm going and I'm going to view it as my clean slate. I probably won't share what the number is since for me that is the beauty of the clean slate. I will do everything in my power not to gain any more weight.

I'll talk to you all later. I've got a million errands to run.

Tejas
01-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Good plan Kathy....now go home at 4:20 :D

Vickie, good luck with the clean slate.

I woke up ready to start this new year. The crockpot recipe was the first thing I saw on my screen this morning so I think I'll have crockpot roast beef for dinner...seems a good choice considering the state of my kitchen today!

It's back to the "real world" of work for me. I'm too young for this. I need to be outside playing :rolleyes:

Rhonda

blessedwithsarah
01-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Hello all. I postd the crockpot beef receipe this morning -- it was wonderful. The worcester and A-1 really added a nice flavor. DH loved it, he actually finished the left overs for lunch today. I have my balsamic chicken marinating and I'll be making the new barley side dish tonight as well. I promise to post all of these recipes tomorrow when I'm at work. Right now AOL and dail up are driving me crazy -- my new years resolution is to get a new PC (mine is 5+ years old and acting odd) and broadband connection.

Sandra - I spent hours yesterday catching up on my photos as well. I had not done them since 2004. It was alot of fun to see the changes in Sarah over the past 2 years.

Linda, I'm in Easton, where did you live in MA? Small world isn't it! My sister is now 56 and in the next few years they will be retiring, selling their house, adding on to my nieces house and spending most of the year traveling in their motor home. They certainly love it -- not sure if I would.

Kathy, how is your visit with Shaun? I hope he is doing well and glad to be though the basic training. What is his next stop? I'll keep your brother in my prayers that Baby Eli stays with them. They are special parents by just taking in foster kids. Keep us up to date on what happens.

I too have re-read my ww material and I'lm going to join you all on the sweet heart challenge. 10 pds by VD will be wonderful, if I can do it. I'll add the tracker tomorrow as well. I tried a couple times today and did not get very far.

Angela, your girls must be having a ball with the tents. Sarah got a super fort for Christmas last year - allows her to make all shapes and size tents. She still plays with it alot.

Rhonda, enjoy the roast. As I said, it did come out wonderful. Hope you like it.

Take care all -- I'm off to clean my house.

Vickie
01-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey Chicks! I'm home from WW, lunch, and errands and I'm pooped. I'm going to go have my fruit salad and some water and maybe a nap. We stayed up too late and got up too early. I'll try to come back later to catch up.

I gained and I will gain no more. My intention is to have a loss each week throughout 2007. It can be as little as .2 but it must be a loss. I know that I might not be perfect at this but I intend to put my whole effort into it. I am out of excuses and sick of me!

Froufy
01-02-2007, 05:07 PM
So I am starving here and everyone is talking about food - how yummy! I am hungry like every 2 hours and trying to stay in control.

Yes I got up this morning at what seemed like the crack of dawn (7 am) and tiptoed around the house as EVERYONE ELSE is still asleep - yes kids still home this week and dh of course too. I called him at 10 am and he was still in bed - the lazy good for nothing - told him he had to get up and take control of that house and those kids - ya he said - you're just jealous cuz you're at work! harumphhhhf.

At least it's a pretty slow day but I still have tons of stuff to catch up on - took me the whole morning to get thru my emails and messages.

Kathy - hope the drive home is quicker too - school has not started here either so the cars were actually 'moving' instead of just sitting on the highway.

Vickie - how was the froufie roast? How was your WW meeting?

...and Paula - we await all those great recipes you are testing for us :D

The bottom of my foot feels better - either so-called sliver is gone or completely embedded in my foot so I no longer feel it - until my foot turns green and falls off!

I do hope to treadmill tonight - but very tired. My real goal would be to wake up early and walk before going to work - but I would need to be a more disciplined frouf to make that work.

Okay so now I need to go find this sweetheart challenge everyone is talking about!

Frouf

ontarget
01-02-2007, 09:14 PM
hi there, chickies. it's been a full day here. i did get online a few minutes before i went shopping but didn't make it here. i missed ya'll. curtis is doing much much better at staying op than i'd thought he would. he's impressing me. he even :tread: again today. that makes 2 days in a row. i need to :tread:, too, cuz i didn't get to w a.

kathy, sounds like you have a good plan. i agree with rhonda that you need to go home at 4:20. don't stay at work any later. (this is mama horton speaking.)

vickie, i love your resolve. i will probably have a gain at wi this week, too, but will not have any more in 07. you've inspired me to do better.

linda, that roast sounds good. i'll have to check out the recipe. thanks for posting it for us.

rhonda, i like to use a slow cooker. when are you getting your new oven?

frouf, i found the sweetheart challenge over at ww general. maybe we need to post one here. okay, all this talk of walking--i'm going to :tread:

have a good evening, chickies.

Katpo
01-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I did leave at 4:20 (okay, it was really 4:40 but who cares?), went to Walgreens, Kroger, Tom Thumb and got gas. I made it home by 6:30 and then made Erin's chili for when she gets home from work late tonight. Judd already ate LO turkey chili from last night so we're good there. I'm not hungry.

Tomorrow is Shaun's 29th birthday; he and Erin will go out for lunch and I think I'll see if everyone wants to go out for dinner. I'm switching to Flex (or calorie counting) for a little while because I really am feeling deprived. There are certain cravings, like maple and brown sugar oatmeal, that I just don't want to use my 5 WPAs on. Since I'm actually in maintenance according to my WW goal, I could use 9 WPAs per day ... still though, I think I'll just cool it. These last few pounds are much more stubborn than the first 30 or so.

Off to the kitchen again ... have a great evening!

ontarget
01-02-2007, 10:06 PM
kathy, sounds like you have a good plan. ya'll enjoy yourselves tomorrow night. happy birthday to shaun.

Tejas
01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Kathy: WE CARE :grouphug: Give them their 10 hours (and that's 2.5 hours too many!) and go home...this is Mama Love talking, and Mama Horton and I together are a force!

Vickie...I like the sound of that...some loss every week. I bought the People Magazine "half their size" edition today. If they can, we can!

I wasn't hungry until around 5PM then I noticed that my normally cheerful mood was getting just a little ragged. I thought it was because I was doing things I didn't want to do, but my mood vastly improved when I had some fruit and yogurt.

Sandra, I like my slow cooker too and a new stove might have to wait a month. We won't starve, I'm sure of that and I might get a break with some easier meals. I tend to really like to make meals complicated at times :stir:

You might remember that I mentioned that some Canadian grocery stores have been expanding their merchandise to include furniture, etc. in order to "compete" with WalMart. I read in today's paper that it's not working for them and they are backing off that strategy. OK by me, I like my grocery stores to sell groceries.

I put all the holiday decorations away today and began gathering up lots of stuff for Goodwill and for storage. As I've mentioned too many times, this house is really small... so I've decided to just put some stuff in commercial storage, anticipating moving in a few years into a bigger house. Others downsize in retirement but I'm going to go where there's more land and bigger houses and upsize. I'll have more room for chickies and other friends to come and visit so that's a real bonus :)

Rhonda

septembersgoal
01-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Melissa, and I think I used to post here a few eons ago. :)
I hope that you are all off to a great start to 2007. We can do it!! :cheers:
I'll be back soon, I promise! :D

Katpo
01-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Rhonda, just chuck it all and move back home! ;) You know what you can get for the same money here.

I also took down snowmen pictures and figurines and plushes ... the tree is still up and so are the Misfit characters in the big opening over the front door. I think that's all though. We'll get it down this weekend.

Shaun just came downstairs sounding like a frog. I asked what was up, and he said stress. Hmmm ... so I gave him some echinacea cough drops and Alka-Seltzer cold medicine. Hopefully he'll take them. He said he and Erin might go to Tyler to visit my parents tomorrow. That would be so great because if they did, I could work Saturday. We still need to see my brother, SIL and Baby Eli to give them their Christmas gifts.

This time of year is so much fun because every time I turn around, I see something else that can be donated and gotten out of my house. At this rate, I'll be completely decluttered by spring. My mom and SIL are having a yard sale at mom's and I'm definitely going. I will probably still have a truckload of things to take.

Time for bed; I'm hoping to leave by 5:30 to get to work at 6:00 tomorrow, so I must get to sleep by 9. I'd better hurry!!

Katpo
01-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Melissa, you goof! :hug:

Tejas
01-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Who's Melissa?

:joker:

ontarget
01-03-2007, 01:06 AM
podna? is that youuuuuuuuuuu? seems i remember having a podna..........

melissa, it's wonderful to see you. i am glad you're finished with your course. i'm stingy and want you here.

kathy, are you leaving at 3:20?

rhonda, i don't use a stove much in the summer cuz it heats the house. i do a lot of electric skillet/toaster oven/griddle cooking. a lot of that i do on the back deck.

we're in from hot tubbing. it was so light out tonight we could see the mountains across the valley.

Tejas
01-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Good Morning All:

Another day, another chance to do even better!

I'm off to Pilates soon. There's been only one class over the holidays and we are all going to be very sore after this one, I'm sure.

Kathy, I'd love to chuck it all and move back. There's just that small matter of needing to work another two years. I applied for a teaching job in Ft. Worth and the fools didn't hire me. There are jobs in Denton but most people aren't hiring at the salary level I can command here. Most places are advertising for people at the beginning, not the end, of a career.

That means you all have two years to get to Toronto and have a visit here! It's a great city.

I'm off, back later! Have a great OP day.

septembersgoal
01-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks for missing me everyone. I guess I'm going to pick up from here, there's no way I can go back and catch up on everything.

I finally broke down and bought some barley. Now I need you all to tell me what to do with it! :)

Have a great day everyone! I'm trying to be a core-girl today!

septembersgoal
01-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Sandra I don't know if we can be podnas any more....you have taken off and left me way behind!! (Good for you!) I'll try to catch up...:running:

Vickie
01-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Good Morning Chicks! I slept until 10:00 and only then because I got a telephone call from my favorite cousin in NJ. She wanted to let me know how the first night of the wake went last night. Evidently, it was a HUGE celebration of his life. I'm SO happy to hear that. She and I will be talking more.

I haven't had breakfast yet and I'm starved. Nothing some shredded wheat and bran can't handle. I'm going to attempt the treadmill today. Keep your fingers crossed for my ankle to hold up. I don't know how long I can go or how fast...but I'll be on it.

I'm having a real hard time drinking my water. Any suggestions?

septembersgoal
01-03-2007, 01:07 PM
I don't know about you, but whenever I have a bottle of water I drink it. Sometimes I buy the 1 liter bottles and just keep filing it up. I guess it's a weird habit, but if the bottle is there and has water in it then I'll keep drinking. If the glass is empty I probably won't go refill it.
I'm glad to hear that the wake was a celebration of your uncle's life. It helps you to know that he is being celebrated as well. :hug:

blessedwithsarah
01-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Hello All!

OK, receipe review for Wednesday - the butternut sqaush/barley side dish is very, very yummy. Went well with the balsamic chicken. I have posted both receipes along with the italian turkey and spagetti squash pie reciepe. The only thing I would do different with the chicken is grill it rather than bake it - I used boneless, skinless thighs. DH liked them as well.

Next to try is a new salmon noodle casserole ( I want to get more fish into my diet) and a crockpot goolash. Those are slated for next weekend.

I am very happy to report that the scale moved !!! :) Naked this morning it was back down to 179.5! Very happy. I think I'll wait until Friday am to update my ticker. Hopefully it will stay down. Over the holidays it crept up a bit too far - at one point closer to 184 :( Not a good thing. I'm happy today.

I'm off to post my menu and read up. Be back later.

blessedwithsarah
01-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Welcome back Melissa! Missed see you :) Hope all is well.

Vickie - I agree with Melissa with the water. As long as I have a bottle or large glass filled and near me I drink it. On my desk I have a 1 liter cup that I have already filled twice and I'm off to fill it again to have with my lunch.

One interesting thing I need to research that I read about is the "Water Diet". Basically its drinking 8oz of water before, during and after meals. By doing this it slows down the absorption of food and fills you. Not sure if its working, but I have started to drink a large glass of water before meals. I do think I eat less, maybe the hunger is curbed a bit by the time my food is ready.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Froufy
01-03-2007, 01:33 PM
So I guess I should go off and refill my PINK water bottle - just finishing lunch and the first one is almost empty (and 2 decaf coffees as well in my tummy).

Melissa - gosh darn you 'look' awfully familiar? Do I know you from somewhere?:D

Vickie - good luck with the treadmiling - let us know how you make out!

Kathy - I can't even imagine getting up at 7 am let alone 5:30 am - and getting to bed by 9 would be a huge stretch for me. Hope Shaun is feeling well enuf to enjoy his birthday!

Sandra - let me know when you are going to visit Rhonda in Toronto and hopefully I can 'pop' by for lunch or something?

Paula - thanks for the recipes - shall be going to check them out soon.

So ended up going to a movie w/dh last night (discount movie night complete w/popcorn and drink) - did pretty well - except no time to treadmill so I must try harder tonight.

I did not sleep well at all - tossing and turning. Poor dd is so cranky - seems her father and I are NOT allowing her to get this face piercing thing (called a 'monroe' after Marilyn I guess?)....claims her father promised she could have a 'real' one after that self-attempt she made a few weeks ago? We are in agreement that we don't want her to have it done (keep telling her to wait til she's 18 but I guess that seems like a century away when you're 15?). So lots of crying, whining on the phone to her dad last night - and of course she is never speaking to him again.

Then she has an 'altercation' w/dh over the den - he gets booted out (by her bullying) and now her computer privileges have been 'suspended' for a while. She was supposed to go to her dad's for a few days as she is still off of school but I somehow doubt that's going to happen given her current mood. Never a dull moment - but this is sure wearing me down - esp since I am tired and cranky myself.

At work today trying to fight more fires as they erupt...have a meeting w/financial planner after work (5:30 pm) so not sure about dinner? Was very hungry yesterday so I am eating a bit more substantially today - hopefully this will help.

And my friend Ray has finally booked his cruise and we are now trying to convince Susan (and her new hubby Allan) to come cruise with us. She was at our table on the last cruise (she's from Toronto) and we had lots of fun together. She and her dh were heading out to St. Martin for 3 weeks so are trying to change some flights so they can join us - keeping my fingers crossed!

At least it's mild out today and the sun is trying to peek out!

Froufie

Katpo
01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Paula, I have the BDA book if I can find it. Actually, I think I might have it on ebook. It's a simple concept and a good habit to get into. I've talked with lots of people on the site, including Blake, and they've had good success with it.

It's been a crazy day here, and I didn't even get here until 8 so now I have to stay until 6. I'm SO mad at myself for leaving home late, and then there was an accident that knocked some traffic lights out so there was more trouble there. Tomorrow will definitely be better.

We're expecting rain so I'm at least happy about that!

ontarget
01-03-2007, 05:54 PM
shame on you, melissa. don't you ever think we're not podnas any more. we will always be podnas. well, that is unless you don't like me any more. i am so glad you're back. i have missed you. seriously, i've missed you a bunch. you always add a spark to the posts. congratulations on getting back on core. i'm trying to stay core but keep using wpa's (or is it wap's?) to the point that it's really flex. i am trying to keep up with my total pts for the day and to keep them in line with where they should be.

that's wonderful that aaron's doing the exercise with you. that will help you both. it's always easier than doing them alone.

vickie, i hope your feet hold up well to the exercise. i :tread: the past few days and got my tootsies sore. i'm going to have to do w a instead.

frouf, i'd love to see you and rhonda. i don't see toronto in our plans right now. we're doing a lot of traveling to tournaments in 07. that's going to tax our old budget bunches.

kathy, what happened? i thought you were getting to work earlier? i guess the traffic was horrific when you left home. curtis and i are relieved to be away from i-35. we're not used to a lot of vehicles on the road.

rhonda, i can't imagine their not hiring you in ft worth. wish i could go beat them up for you.

Tejas
01-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi All:

Pilates was great but a little shorter than usual because we had a flat tire on the way! We could have cancelled going to class, but not us diehards...we got the tire changed and went to class.

I've been good with food today but the evening will be a challenge since a friend is taking us to an Italian restaurant for dinner. Oh well.

I like Frouf's pink bottle. Having a special container might assist in the water drinking. My biggest problem is being able to stay near enough to a "washroom" as it is called here in Canada!

Vickie, I'm glad to hear that the wake was restorative for people. I hope at mine people don't eat CORE!

Frouf, and others with teenagers, my hat is off to you. I thought that I would never live through my godson's teenage years....and he got his tongue pierced!! Don't worry, he has a responsible bank job now! :lol:

Rhonda

Tejas
01-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't mind telling you that the interview in Ft. Worth was bizarre. I won't identify the school or the people but I was essentially led to believe that the job was mine, others told me they were told that I was coming, and then nothing! No answers even to my inquiry if I was still a candidate for the position. Hmmmm...they must have learned the TRUTH :joker:

Katpo
01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Oh, Rhonda, not the TRUTH! :lol: I can't believe that school would do that to you! Shame on them! OR ... maybe they assumed you KNEW you had the job and they're wondering where on earth you are? You're TARDY! LOL!

Sandra, I still got up early but ended up doing a lot of unnecessary stuff, then hit a bad spot in the commute. It was a side street and I don't know what happened, but the signal lights were flashing and cars were backed up. GRRR... Also school started back today so that added to some of the traffic.

Katpo
01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I love it when you girls say "washroom". It sounds so much more polite than bathroom (I'm not taking a bath) or restroom (nor am I resting!) ... and so I think I'll start a trend down here and say washroom.

Vickie
01-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Well, I only made it 10 minutes on the treadmill at 1.8 mph. I'm sad. But, I got off and got on the exercise bike. It make no sense to me but I actually sweated on the bike. I did 10 more minutes on there and will try to do more tomorrow. I guess the treadmill is out.

Hope you're having a great evening. I'm off to hang out with Honey Lamb.

Katpo
01-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Dinner is over (such as it is). Judd ate LO turkey chili, I ate some cheese ... then made some English toffee to take to work, and am now making brown rice for his lunch tomorrow. It's all good.

Vickie, the 10 plus 10 equals what they say we should have, so I think you're fine with that. Maybe the bike will be an easier thing for now. I'm not so sure I could do the treadmill. We're ankle buddies, so I know how you feel.

I'm off to the kitchen again. I'm not going in to work early tomorrow because Shaun wants to go to the place where he used to work, and they open at 9. He's wearing his dress blues but will take a change of clothes, and then one of them will bring him back home later.

See you later!

Froufy
01-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Great exercise effort Vickie - remember baby steps - and any movement is better than none right?

Washroom? Is that like Canadian eh? I have seen 'restroom' signs - so genteel - we are not @#$@#$ but simply resting! ya right! tee hee

And I managed to get a walk in at lunchtime - 30 mins in the neighborhood- fairly mild out (altho the frouf ears did get cold w/no hat!)....okay I wasn't motoring but better than just sitting at my desk right?

And wrote a huge check to the financial planner as we begin the 'smith manoevre' - that was SUPREMELY exciting (don't get too excited it's from a line of credit :D), then to the grocery store to pick up rotisserie chicken and fixins for dinner - yes I ate some potatoe wedges (gosh darn they were good), but did not overdo it. Already boiled up some eggs, and packed up fruit and veggies for work tomorrow.

And work this afternoon was a NIGHTMARE - such 'abusive' clients I have - one of which was semi-nasty in some of his emails (about stuck contracts - yes the same guy for which I turned around the last 3 contracts in under 24 HOURS - HOW SOON THEY FORGET!).....and sends these to me without ccing the others on the list - ya so I forwarded it for him (this is an associate director by the way) forwarded his 'comments' to his boss, my boss and my director - that'll teach him.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT TO RESPOND - my manager away, my director away (acting director not really too with it) so no one to 'consult' with - yes I did draft a response but decided to sleep on it and wait til tomorrow to send it if required.

I am emotionally and physically exhausted and need to get to bed early tonight!

Frouf

P.S..OHMYGOD I ALMOST FORGOT THE OTHER 'ISSUE" - get a refund check from dental benefits co. regarding orthodontic work for big ds - yes he did visit the dentist and we got 'estimate' and impressions made for fancy invisiline braces thingies (as worn by Tom Cruise no less), but no decision made that we were going ahead ($5500 of which most paid by dental benefits). So call the dentist to find out about this 'claim' made and these cheques I received (like for $1900!)....after asking a few pertinent questions turned out they CHARGED MY MASTERCARD FOR $2500 WITHOUT EVEN TELLING ME!!! Seems that they felt we were going ahead with this???..on the word of a child?.....and worse was last time I paid by MC they asked if they should keep this # on file for future payments and I said NO ABSOLUTELY NOT - so this EXPLAINS the super huge balance on the MC (I checked the other day).....I am FURIOUS AND CAN'T BELIEVE THIS KIND OF BUSINESS PRACTICE - tomorrow I am calling back to a) getting refund on MC and b) no work to be done until further notice and c) will return cheques back to dentail co indicating that we had never AUTHORIZED or paid for any work to be done - that should cause some excitement!

aghiowa
01-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Evening ladies. Well, my weigh-in tonight was every bit as bad as I thought it might be. I was up 1.4. Oh well, as my leader says, "It's not failure, only feedback." I did get myself some great Core snacks so I can stay out of the other food here. I really wish I could have the option of having a completely Core household, but my kids and husband would wither away and die. :lol:

But I got myself some ff cottage cheese, some canned pineapple tidbits, some canned peaches, some canned corn (the yummy little niblets I adore) and some really good ff yogurt. I will be good this week, I will lose the weight. My sister lost 1.4 (total of over 8 pounds in the last 3 weeks :cheer: for her!) and my mom was down 2.2, so the evening wasn't a complete waste. There sure were a lot of people there tonight...New Years resolutions I'm sure.

Well, I may go watch a chick flick while my hubby is playing on the computer. I think I have "Pride and Prejudice" I've never seen.

Tomorrow will be a good Core day. :D

Angela

ontarget
01-03-2007, 10:33 PM
:bravo: paula, i want to congratulate you on losing those lbs.

kathy, i had a feeling it was traffic-related. we spent over 2 hours trying to get through waco on 35 one sunday. 2 semis had wrecked causing a 3 lane wide/10 mile long parking lot.

rhonda, i think kathy's right. they must think you're tardy. did you have a good evening? i'm still looking for that wine. :cheers: i even found a message board that's only talking about it. we'll try in salt lake and idaho this march.

vickie, my :tread: days are over for now, too. i don't know what kind of weather you're having but ours is damp and 40ish. that's doing a number on my arthritis. i'm sleeping in socks again. ohhhhhhhh these aching tootsies.

go get'm, froufie!!! if i ever get in a jam, i want you on my side.

got to go post today's menu and then my exercise on "plan". see ya later.

ontarget
01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
angela, your leader's right. it's just feedback. you're doing great. buying those core snacks is going to help. i am proud of you.

septembersgoal
01-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Girls I'm heading to bed. I'm so exhausted.

Sandra, you are crazy girl!! You know I love you dearly. :hug: I just don't want to slow you down. :D

Angela, Pride & Prejudice is one of my very favorite movies. I hope you like it!

Vickie, good for you getting on the move!

Frouf, what an ordeal! Never a dull moment for you.

Kathy, try not to work too hard. You are such a go-getter. I'm glad Shaun's home for awhile and it seems like you all are having a good time. (Right?? :) )

Going to bed!! Good night!! :faint:

Tejas
01-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Good morning all:

Vickie, be happy....like Frouf and Kathy say, any movement is really better than being still.

I've got a long day today doing the union work. It's my first day to work with our new lawyers and I'm very excited about that. Someone else to do the work...yea!!

I'll be back later tonight. I'm having oatmeal for breakfast and the rest of the day isn't planned but shouldn't be too hard now that the workplace won't be full of cookies and other holiday treats.

Rhonda

blessedwithsarah
01-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Hope everyone is well today. Its 55 degrees here today - not a typical winter in New Englad. December was a record for the warmest December ever. Our average high now should be around 37, we've been 15+ above average for a while. Don't miss snow at all! Of course that could all change quickly and we could be burried in snow for all of February and March. But, I'll enjoy it while I can. I may actually go walking at lunch:carrot:

Angela, don't let the scale get you down. The best thing is to purge as much out of your house as possible. For the girls and dh are there snacks they like that you don't like? Or maybe make some core-like snacks that are healthier that will satisfy them but not ruin your great work if you do splurge. I do like what your leader said about failure vs. feedback. :) Congrats to your sister and mom! And to you to -- I'm still very impressed that you re-joined right before christmas.

Frouf, what did you decide today about responding to that employee? Some people ..... Also, I'd be livid with that dentist! Definatly switch. What else have they miss billed???? Makes you wonder.

Kathy, sounds like you are enjoying Shauns visit. How long is he home on leave? Post a picture if you can, I'd love to see him in his blues.

Well, work calls. BBL.

Katpo
01-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Paula, that's a good idea. I'll try to get a picture before he leaves, which is 6 a.m. Sunday. We're going to my mom's Saturday and he'll wear his uniform then, so I'll get one then.

It was raining a little when I got up but has stopped now. Our high will be 60º today and 70º tomorrow, so unseasonably warm here too. A walk sounds like a great idea -- I might try to get some of the coworkers to get outside with me this afternoon.

Time for the regular Thursday morning meeting, so I'll see you all later...

Vickie
01-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Good Morning Chicks! I don't feel much like talking today. I'll be around later I hope.

aghiowa
01-04-2007, 03:24 PM
:lol: I ended up watching "Rocky" instead of "Pride and Prejudice." A little different, but I really enjoyed it. I had seen it years ago, and didn't really enjoy the movie, but this time I think I "got it." It's not really about the boxing at all...it's a man's struggle to prove himself. Very interesting.

Anyhoo, I've been good today. I gave this website to my sister, so if she's lurking, she'll know whether I've been good or bad. :D Hi Jyl!! :wave:

I got a trojan (like a virus) on my computer today, and it was all my fault. I stupidly downloaded an .exe and I really shouldn't have...I know better. Thankfully, my dh, the computer guy, was able to fix it for me and now I can recover from my computer withdrawl.

Time to put the little one down for a nap,
Angela

ontarget
01-04-2007, 05:32 PM
hi there, girls. i'm sitting here in my swimsuit/sweats waiting to go to w a. we are home from lunch with friends. i had a chicken/apple paninni (chicken salad sandwich toasted) and a cup of split pea/ham soup. i should have just ordered the soup, but i confess that paninni was delish. today's my last day of the week before wi. it's good in the sense that tomorrow's a fresh start. it's not so good in that i have wi in the am. (both with my doctor and with ww) i'll make wise choices the rest of the day. that's all i can do.

vickie, are you all right? did you hurt your foot? i was worried about that when mine started aching. or is today the day of your uncle's service? i can understand how that would be hurting you. i'm sending you :hug: for whatever is causing you pain.

kathy, a photo of shaun in his blues? awesome!

angela, i almost watched rocky the other night. i still may. i want to see the new movie on the big screen. that's a great idea giving this address to your sister. i hope she joins us. hi, jyl!

paula, it's warmer here, too. i even commented how it was like a texas winter right now. wet and 40ish.

rhonda, i guess you're enjoying your day. wish you could come do w a with me. that would be fun.

melissa, i'm going to be checking to see that you get here later today. it's good to see you posting more again.

Froufy
01-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi again,

My day:
1) So I fired off a MAJOR letter to the dentist (email and fax) and letter and returned cheques to dental benefits place and called to get refund on the MC - that should sure help that balance!

2) the 'associate director' who was nasty - well I reread the email I had composed and ran it by a couple of colleagues as my manager and director are both away - they both felt it was appropriate and a 'good tone'. No sooner did I get back to my desk than said 'client' called mumbling about things not going well and 'could we back up a few days' - I guess he wanted to 'erase' what he had said. Sure - he is still trying to 'cut corners' so I sent him off to consult w/someone else - hopefully he will satisfied w/their answers!

3) so far no whining today from dd re face piercing - but then again this usually surfaces late at night so I expect another cyring/whining jag sometime soon.

Vickie - how is your foot doing? Hopefully you are not in any pain?

Paula - unseasonably warm here too - but like you I believe this to be a 'teaser' and know that we will eventually have piles and piles of snow with colder weather.

Angela - hang in there - sounds like you have some good supporters and role models around you - good idea to get more core friendly food in the house.

Sandra - how was WA? I need to exercise still for today - don't feel like doing the treadmill so I may haul out one of my richard simmons dvd's and dance around a bit!

Rhonda - glad your workplace is devoid of temptation - mine still isn't but I am resisting. I know there is a big container of those two bit brownies and a box of pecan clusters (pseudo-Turtles) on secretary's desk - I am avoiding them like the plague!

My weight seems to be at a standstill which is most depressing - but I am not doing well on the water - need to pay more attention!

Froufie

Tejas
01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi:

Wouldn't you know it...someone put cookies on the table during the meeting today. I said to everyone that I was moving them out of my eyesight and did so :kickbutt:
All other aspects of the meeting were great. I can just feel the tension leaving my face, shoulders and neck. I'm so happy to have the younger ones take it on!

I got an unexpected invitation to dinner and had chicken gumbo with a friend. It was good but I should NOT have had the biscuit with it :(

I didn't get much exercise at all today, but tomorrow morning is Pilates class again.

Like many places, the weather is unseasonably warm....warmest December on record here also. It's raining right now.

Not much more to say tonight. I'm still afraid to step on the scales again. I think I'll wait a week until I feel the renewed control might have had some effect. There are times when that scale is a monster!

Vickie...thinking about you and your loss.

Night all,
Rhonda

ontarget
01-04-2007, 10:12 PM
frouf, it's amazing how hard it can be to just chug water, isn't it? i have trouble, too. sounds like today was better for you. just think how good friday will be.

rhonda, that took control to have the cookies moved. that biscuit was probably 3-5 pts. i'll bet you had that to spend. you're doing well. that iron monster is a pain, isn't it? there's a song about it we used to sing at "tops". it's to the tune of "glory glory hallelujah." (that's not the name of the song, but you prob recognize it.) it goes: "oh the drama in the weight room. when we're losing, it's a great room. when we're gaining, it's a debate rooooom. and the scales keep moving on........" and so on and so on.

Katpo
01-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Evening, friends! We are busy these days, aren't we?

Vickie, I hope you feel better soon. :hug: We're here, rain or shine. Just spill it, girlfriend.

Frouf, I do not envy you these years with DD. It sounds like you've got a handle on that dentist situation though; I would have hit the roof too! What shoddy practice!!

Today I got the results from last week's bloodwork. Um, let's just say that I'm not a happy kid right now. Cholesterol was 280 and fasting blood sugar was high. Since my sister had diabetes, my mom and all her siblings have it, do we see where this could be headed? I'm not sure what to do at this point, but there was a Rx for Zocor included with the letter. I've taken it before but he took me off when my ratio was good. Now the ratio is BAAAAD and that might also explain the chest pains. I'm probably one taco away from a stroke.

I made more toffee tonight but this time didn't put chocolate on it. I don't eat the stuff, but love to take things for my coworkers. Of course, even though they eat it, they grumble that I'm making them fat. We do have a lot of people who can eat anything and not gain an ounce; then there's also our fair share of overweight people. It's their choice whether or not they want to eat it. I just like to cook and experiment and make people smile. I've really been getting a lot of use from my new candy thermometer though. :D

Off to take a bath and get ready for tomorrow.

ontarget
01-04-2007, 10:58 PM
kathy, be sure to take your meds. that's serious stuff there that you're dealing with.

i'm going to say the following as someone who is working hard to lose weight. please do not be offended. i know trying to lose weight is often compared to trying to quit drinking. both are hard. both require decision making. both need friends to understand this and to not make things more difficult.

it is easier for me to stay focused when there's not something decadent on hand.

reading several posts here and on other boards, i've noticed a lot of people "decluttering" their homes of weightloss unfriendly foods. this is a great idea. several also talk about how they are glad that the holidays are over and there's not a lot of "stuff" around at work any more thus relieving some strain. this is good, too.

is there some way you could keep doing your baking and sharing yet not put strains on your coworkers who may be needing the work area "decluttered"?

i am one of those people who can be swayed into eating something just because it's there. the way it looks--the way it smells--i may eat it and smile on the outside, but i'm probably crying on the inside because i once again feel like a failure.

what we want to do is help each other. that's one of the reasons we're here on this weightloss board. we work together to help each other be healthy happy people. you've helped a lot of us and continue to do so. i appreciate that. i just read your post and got to thinking how wonderful it would be if you'd help your coworkers like you help us.

again, i hope i didn't offend you or anyone else. i just needed to say this.

Katpo
01-04-2007, 11:19 PM
No offending here! Actually, we probably have 80% of our employees in our department who are in perfect shape and don't have to worry about a thing. Most are retired military and are still in the habit of working out / eating right. We don't want it here at home, but they love it there! That's the reason I have just spent the last two months making a cookbook with all the contributions from employees. We have a monthly birthday lunch, and every day people bring in food. We've got 40 people locked in this secret area with no outside access, so we can pretty much do what we want.

They're the perfect outlet for my creativity! And those who aren't eating the junk are perfectly happy to resist. It is a choice, and the ones who shouldn't have it usually choose (well, 99% of the time) to bypass the goodies. And as for the grumblers ... most of them aren't worried a bit about it. They just like to give me a hard time.

Yesterday I took in chocolate covered popcorn, petit fours, homemade bread with honey butter, and some fudge. They actually love to see me coming!

Tejas
01-05-2007, 03:25 AM
Hi:

It's just after 2AM here in Toronto and I cannot sleep :tired: This is a problem for me that I don't mention too often. I don't roam around looking for high calorie snack foods, am not even hungry and can be comforted with hot milk with vanilla and Splenda. It's just an inability to turn my mind off. I used to do a lot of Yoga and developed an ability to breathe correctly and relax but it's not working tonight.

From time to time I'll take Melatonin and it works, but I am not too keen on getting dependent on any herb or drug. So, I just wander around with my insomnia. I bet I can go to sleep now :yawn:

Nite,
Rhonda

Katpo
01-05-2007, 04:15 AM
Rhonda, I hope you are sleeping now. I guess I must have a little bit of the same problem. I get thirsty during the night though so I have to get up and get some water if I've forgotten to put some on the nightstand. Tonight when I got up, the dog that sleeps with me thought it was morning so she wanted to go out and potty. I let her out and when she came back in, she went to Judd's door. This is our usual morning (the REAL morning, though) routine -- so I let her in to his room and then came back upstairs. Now I can't go back to sleep even though I'm very tired.

See you all in the morning ...

Tejas
01-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi All:

:yawn:

Kathy, it's 7:15 here. I finally got to sleep and now it's off to work.

At least, I'm not having to corral kids and surly teenagers, as I know some of you are.

OK, here's the plan....I have to miss Pilates because of a meeting I forgot about but I'm going to sneak in a movie with DH around lunch time downtown. Nobody will miss me and he and I will enjoy it. We're going to go see the new Judy Dench/Cate Blanchett movie in my plan works out.

And, oh yes, stay OP.

I hope the rest of you slept even though Kathy and I didn't!!

Rhonda

Katpo
01-05-2007, 09:39 AM
I like your plan! Enjoy the movie!

We woke up this morning to a heavy fog and it's supposed to stay until noon. Tonight I think we're going to take Shaun to dinner. Someone gave Judd a gift card to TGIFriday's, so that sounds like a good use for it. Tomorrow is the trip to Tyler, tomorrow night he's going to a friend's house to watch the football game, and then he leaves at 6 a.m. Sunday and the trip will be over. It has been a good one but I'm sure he's ready to get back to his regular routine.

I'll be back after I get to work.

ontarget
01-05-2007, 10:21 AM
i have those wide awake nights, too. we recently put a heated mattress pad on the bed and that helps. kathy, i know that wouldn't work for you in texas. it would probably get way too hot. rhonda, you might try one. it couldn't hurt. there are dual controls like on an electric blanket. we like ours.

going to a movie today sounds like fun. we're up early. curtis is going to shovel fresh snow off the drive before i leave for the doctor and ww. after i get home, i don't know what we'll do, but tonight we have league. that should be fun--if the bleach smell is out of the shop. it made me very shaky wednesday. curtis wants me to talk to the doctor about that today. it was almost like i'd been poisoned.

kathy, i know you're going to miss shaun when he has to leave. ya'll have had a wonderful visit. i am so happy for all of you, and i'm waiting to see those photos.

Tejas
01-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Best laid plans....the early morning meeting got rescheduled until the afternoon...which means for me, no Pilates and no movie. #$%^&#$

We have a very cozy bed with dual heat controls! But, sometimes I just can't get the mind to shut up. It's so unnecessary, never solves any problems, creates fatigue..blah, blah, blah.

Bleach fumes can be very toxic! I guess everyone knows not to mix bleach and other cleaners. You can actually kill yourself. Bleach can be the best thing for mold and mildew but you must ventilate the room you're in. Can the club find an alternative cleaner..there are many non-toxic cleaners available...of course, they're normally more expensive. I imagine I'm "singing to the choir" here....

Well, the new plan involves breakfast at home with DH who is making oatmeal for us "hun:
That's a good start to my evolving day!

Rhonda

ontarget
01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
rhonda, plan b sounds good but i'm sorry about the lunch/movie. can you reschedule soon? i hope so. the archery shop is run by two young guys. they probably could have cleaned that floor with soap, water, and some scrubbing. they don't clean it very often (as in almost never). they are getting ready to repaint and restripe the floor before the official league begins next week. i hope those guys are all right. we did warn them about that bleach but i don't think they listened. they have been in there (no ventilation except for folks coming in the front door) several hours a day with that smell. yesterday it wasn't as bad as it was wednesday but we still opted not to stay and shoot. when you're shooting, you're right in the middle of where they were working. most of the time they are there working, they're in adjoining rooms.

i did a stupid thing over 20 years ago and cleaned up after painting (indoors) with gas. i wound up at the doctor's office.

i hope you and kathy can get more rest tonight. i had one of those nights last week even with that mattress heater. i wound up taking a long nap the next day but it was still a couple of days before i got my "oomph" back.

i'm cooking bfast for curtis. he's just now coming in from shoveling that white stuff. have a good day, all.

ontarget
01-05-2007, 03:23 PM
i'm home from the doctor's. i was down 6 lbs from when i'd last gone the end of october. in that 2+ months i lost, gained, lost, gained, and came through the end of the holidays being down that 6 lbs. i didn't get to ww as the doctor was running late. i probably would have stayed the same or been a bit up or down. i'll go wi next fri.

i'm making core homemade enchiladas. i did pour some almost ff chili on top. i hope they're good. i made curtis some "real" enchiladas.

where is everyone?

Katpo
01-05-2007, 03:34 PM
I've been here off and on, to read on the other forums I visit and to check and see if anyone has been here. It's a slow day on the ol' board.

Congratulations on that loss! That is really GREAT!!

ontarget
01-05-2007, 03:37 PM
thanks, kathy. my doctor is really into the archery. he kept wanting to talk about the tournaments we'd been in so far. i got him updated on the ones to come, too. he's the perfect doctor for me. i am lucky to have him.

anyone else here?

septembersgoal
01-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey! I'm sneaking on and off to read, but I can't stay and "chat." Darn work!! :p

ontarget
01-05-2007, 04:30 PM
hi there, melissa. i'm glad you're able to sneak in here. tgif, right?

Vickie
01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Chicks! I'm struggling but not abandoning you guys or my program. I'm sick and I'm not sure what it is. I have to go have dinner with my two Sisters. We are meeting the out of town Sister at a restaurant at 4:30.

I had my mammogram this morning. I'm a trifle worried about it but know all I can do is go for the test. I've been reading but haven't felt up to posting. I'll definitely catch up when I can.

I know you are all doing great.

ontarget
01-05-2007, 04:57 PM
:hug: vickie. i hope you find out what's going on with your body and all gets back to normal quickly.

Katpo
01-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Poor Vickie! I hope you feel better very soon! :hug:

Make them keep on testing until they find the answers. I think a lot of my trouble was the high cholesterol and high blood sugar. I've been on cholesterol lowering medicine many times in the past, but this time the ratio was WAY off. The bad was 170 and should be under 100. The lowest my total has ever gotten was 230 and that was while on medicine. As for the high blood sugar, I bought a glucose monitor this morning and will test every day to make sure it doesn't get too high. I'd rather avoid taking insulin but if the family history holds true, I'll probably have to.

Anyway, keep on them to test until you get answers.

Froufy
01-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Vickie - hope you can resolve whatever health issues you have! Keep us posted

Kathy - I'm glad they at least discovered what part of the problem was and you now have medication to treat it! I just went for my bloodwork today (never poke a froufie in the arm with a sharp implement!) and an ECG in advance of my annual checkup on the 16th. Now need to get less 'fatter' pretty quick - I think I am up from last visit on dr's scales!

Rhonda - sorry you had a restless night? Too bad about your plans changing - are you still having warm weather? I just wore my raincoat to work today - very weird!

So go into work around 10 am starving of course - scale back to 214 which is good. I found this BRAND NEW IN THE PACKAGE 30 min richard simmons dvd which I did last night!...and today since it was so nice out I do go out for a brief (25 min?) walk. I am tired tho and need more sleep and as tomorrow is saturday I do hope to SLEEP IN!

Nothing planned for dinner or tonight as dh going jamming/drumming - too tired to cook and I am craving smoked salmon! YUM

So what are the plans for the weekend?

Frouf

Katpo
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Okay, I'm home from work. Stopped by Walgreens to replace my test strips (expired and nobody noticed), got Judd some Zicam. It's quiet in the house -- YAY!! -- at least for a few minutes. I just heard that there was a traffic jam on the highway that he takes home, so it might be a minute.

Well, crap. He just walked in. So much for that.

Katpo
01-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Okay, now. Back to business.

What's everybody doing this weekend? I decided today that I was working Sunday afternoon, so my coworker and I figured out a plan and will be there at 1 p.m. That way I can come home from the airport and sleep for a little while.

We're going to the Mongolian grill tonight. I can always be good there, since all I eat is shrimp and vegetables. I usually add pineapple to it, but pineapple is now off my food list due to the high sugar content. Sigh ... it seems like I just can't catch a break somedays.

Tejas
01-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi All:

For some reason, I'm sleepy!

The day simply became another work day, but with great benefits as I handed off a lot of my grievance case load to the newly hired lawyers. That allows me to do more political work about why our members need to file grievances in the first place. This is all good.

I was so-so with food today, but no cookies! I'm eating a very light supper and DH says he's not hungry either.

I might have to work tomorrow for a bit, but we'll try to work in that movie. I've started reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves...hilarious!!

Rhonda

Katpo
01-06-2007, 04:40 AM
Here we go again! Rhonda, are you up? :lol:

Shaun never came home in time for dinner even though he knew we were going out, so Judd and I just went to the little Mexican restaurant down the street. Then I went to bed around 8:30 but woke up at 10:00 and he still wasn't home. I dozed off and on and he got home around 1, but was on the phone with some girl in San Diego. Sigh ... I'm ready for him to leave so I don't have to know about his business. He got a thin envelope from the bank today and I'm thinking that (1) he's overdrawn and (2) he's over his minutes on his cell phone. I've asked about both and he says everything's fine. My imagination tells me otherwise.

And Judd and I are both getting colds. He's stopped up and has a sore throat. My throat is still a little sore and I have an earache and headache. If I feel bad in the morning, I won't go to Tyler which will upset my parents greatly since they won't have gotten to see Shaun on this trip home, but it can't be helped.

This insomnia is driving me nuts!

Tejas
01-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Good Morning All:

Aw, poor Kathy, no sleep again. I went to bed at 10PM and didn't get out of bed until 10:15AM! I'm well rested.

I've had my yogurt for breakfast and I'm headed out for a 30 minute walk. It's going to be a slow day here...it's grey, overcast and damp but not cold at all. We'll try to get to the movies. I love to go to movies on Saturday afternoon: it's like being a kid again.

Have a great OP day everyone.

Rhonda

Froufy
01-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Nothing like a saturday afternoon matinee! Gosh I remember those - back in Montreal - all the kids shouting and laughing - so much fun!

Also damp and dreary here today - looks like it's raining also!!! Oh well

sorry about the lack of sleep kathy - could it be some of the meds you are now taking? Do you guys have something called Cold-FX down there? sold over the counter at drugstores - supposedly VERY GOOD in stopping a cold before it happens!

Vickie - how are you doing today?

Well I did not sleep well - dh was up (in the corner of bedroom/sitting area) til 2 am - so I dozed on and off then 'blasted' him at 2 am when I woke up telling him it was time to shut down! Was up around 9 am - lay around a bit (packing my cruise suitcase in my head no less!), then got up told dh I was gonig down for breakfast then back up to EXERCISE so sleepyhead better get out of bed!

Made a LOVELY fresh fruit salad for me and little ds, had some decaf, read the paper - and back up to wake dh up - however I was the shocked one as he was just finishing HIS treadmill run! Good timing - but I decided to do my 30 mins richard simmons dvd - I work up a bit more sweat and feels more aerobic to me! Now I am ready to shower and get dressed and start the day!

Melissa - have you tried the turbo jam? Just saw it in the store the other day - 2 versions - looks like regular and advanced ($19,99) - let me know what you think of it!...and how hard it is.

Nothing major planned - have to go get groceries and errands and such. Maybe a movie tonight?

Later,

Frouf

ontarget
01-06-2007, 02:36 PM
good morning, friends. it's snowing here. i'm still a new enough montanan that i get excited to see the white stuff. plus, i'm usually not the one who has to shovel. curtis is downstairs now vegging on the couch. he finished shoveling before bfast. what did we have? grits. how were they? his were laden with real butter/honey--mine with splenda. i still couldn't get mine all down. i don't think we'll be having them again soon. oh, well, life and learn.

kathy, i know what you mean about not wanting to know what our grown kids are doing. i'll bet our parents went through the same thing, don't you? i hope you and judd don't get down with those colds.

rhonda, a movie on a saturday afternoon brings back a lot of memories. when i was young, (prior to 3rd grade cuz the theater closed down summer of my 3rd year in school), i would walk the 2 blocks from my home in grandview to the downtown theater around noon and stay until dark. i got 25 cents a week allowance. i used that "hard earned" money to get in, buy popcorn and a coke and would sometimes lend a nickle to someone else. later movies meant going to cleburne. i always got excited cuz i got to see my then favorite cousin. (you're my favorite now. i already told him.) (he's a very close 2nd.) have fun today.

frouf, a movie tonight? you and rhonda are making me want to go to the theater. i'm wanting to see the new rocky movie on the big screen. but i want to go during the week to a matinee. people from all over western montana come here on sat nights. (am i a hermit wanting to be among the few on a weekday?)

ontarget
01-06-2007, 03:02 PM
i wanted to come back here and tell ya'll something that's been happening lately. my weight hasn't really changed since we were in texas, but my body's starting to firm up. i am having a little trouble recognizing myself when i catch a glimpse in a mirror or window. i still think of myself as being about 35 pounds heavier. it's almost a shock when i see this stranger. i'm not complaining. this is a great feeling. i am wondering how long it will take for my mind to catch up. i wonder if it ever will. i know i need to work on "programming" my mind so it won't lead me to undo everything.

i heard that we shouldn't set our goals to lose a certain number of pounds. our goal should be to "weigh a certain number." looks like i need to change my tracker and sweetheart goal to reflect that. i want my mind to know that i want to weigh a certain weight. i don't want it to think that it has to have a certain number of pounds to lose. it might work things so it will have to lose over and over again. am i making sense? what are your thoughts?

Tejas
01-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi All:

Well, it's just not meant to be that we're seeing a movie! I went to the office and DH and I met for an early dinner. We bought our movie tickets from the ATM, entered the theatre and found that the only seats were in the very front row. We complained and got our money back. We've decided to try again during the week. The movie we're trying to see is Notes on a Scandal with Judy Dench and Cate Blanchett. It is apparently extremely popular.

Sandra, I hadn't had one thought about "I want to weigh XXX" versus "I want to lose XXX" but I'm willing to give it a try. It does sound more positive somehow.

I walked for an hour today and my eating has been just OK. I did scarf two cookies at the office as if I were on "automatic." What the devil is that all about??? I just stood there and thought this is just about having something in my mouth: why not suck my thumb!!!??? :bb: That was the only transgression today (about food anyway). I ate a light dinner and will just have some yogurt later.

Rhonda

ontarget
01-06-2007, 08:29 PM
rhonda, it does sound more positive, doesn't it? i got that info out of A Mental Management: With Winning in Mind. i'm giving it a go, too. i want my feeble old brain to help me all it can. :lol:

i hadn't heard of that movie. but--i hardly ever see commercials. curtis is usually in control of the remote and surfs during commercials. i hope ya'll get to see it later this week. i'm glad you got your $$ back. that would have been awfully uncomfortable and just not good at all watching from the front row. how did i do that as a kid?

i may start sucking my thumb, too. so far today's been all right. i'm going to have my popcorn while we watch the cowboys/seahawks. i haven't done any exercise at all today. i don't know if i will later or not. i've been scrapbooking. 2003 is completed!! my goal for this weekend is to finish through 2004. getting up and down from working on the floor may be enough exercise.

Katpo
01-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Whew, I'm finally home! It sounds like you all have had a busy day.

Frouf, I'm with you girlfriend about that surfing in the bedroom (or watching TV) til the wee hours, especially when I'm trying to sleep! Thank goodness for my own little sanctuary upstairs or I can't imagine what sort of witch I'd be. I had to laugh at you mentally packing your suitcase. I do the same thing, making lists in my head and rearranging things. I know you're getting excited about the cruise!

Poor Rhonda! You're right -- it doesn't sound like a movie is meant to be at the time. I've never heard of that one either, but like Sandra, commercials aren't seen in my house. TiVo takes care of that ... we just speed right thru them and go on. We rarely watch live TV but when we do, Judd's flipping the channels anyway.

I like that "I want to weigh xxx" theory. It really sounds more positive, doesn't it? I think I'll try to adopt that mentality and see where it gets me.

My fasting BGL was even higher this morning. I'm not too sure what to do, but at this rate, I'll be going back to the doctor to request meds. I'll track it for a few more days before I get too worried about it.

Vickie, how are you doing today? :hug:

A big hello to the rest of you -- Angela, Melissa, Paula ... happy weekend to you all!

My dad took a picture of Shaun and it's too small. I took some too but need to download them. Maybe tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's the teeny one.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL564/498963/13342169/219917441.jpg

Katpo
01-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Let me try this one:

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL564/498963/13342169/219921921.jpg

Tejas
01-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Kathy: you just gotta love a man in uniform :cool:

Well, we watched "An Unfinished Life" on DVD. It's a tear jerker :cry:

Ahem, TV's in the bedroom...big :nono: with me. But, I keep thinking that I'm too rigid about it. It might be fun to lie in bed and watch a movie ;) I absolutely hate commercials on TV, the radio, anywhere. We can't get TiVo here so I mute all the commercials. If DH records a movie with commercials, he goes back through the DVD and edits them out.

I'm going to read a book and turn in early tonight. See everyone tomorrow.

Rhonda

Froufy
01-07-2007, 02:21 AM
TV's in the bedroom is also a big no no for me Rhonda - I agree wholeheartedly and have kept one OUT of all bedrooms until very recently when we decided to move the treadmill up into the bedroom - figuring if it was in our face we would have to use it right? Well it got a bit boring so we got a small TV and dvd/vcr combo thing so we would watch tv or dvd's while we treadmill - and it's working great. I can even do my exercise dvd's up here!

We honestly do NOT watch tv in bed or rarely watch it otherwise. I will sometimes come up here to watch something I am very interested in if the kids are watching one of their shows in the family room or using the playstation.

Kathy - I agree - nothing like a man in uniform - Shaun looks great! Dh is a late night computer surfer by the way - I have to tell him in a loud voice - it's time to shut down now dear! :D

We ended up going to dinner and a movie tonight and left all kiddies home (and came home to a major disaster of course w/me screaming like a banshee - but that's a whole nother story!)... had japanese food - miso soup, salad, teriyaki shrimp - best news is we SKIPPED the popcorn (very unusual for us!) and just shared a diet coke. I am hungry now which is a good sign as I did not feel bloated after dinner (altho I did eat everything as I was hungry).

And Sandra you have reminded me that I have some paperwork to do this weekend and must clean out the RECEIPT BASKET - yes it's here looming on top of the desk - overflowing w/receipts. I generally save some receipts for a while, some forever! but once in a while a clean out is in order! and I am now having to STUFF the paper in so this means there is NO MORE ROOM!

Taking dd to mall tomorrow before her dance classes (and trying to get another $20 off the camera we bought here - I believe there was a 30 day low price guarantee and lo and behold found an add for same camera at an even lower price!). And still balmy out here (no snow here Sandra) as we await winter!

Frouf

Katpo
01-07-2007, 05:17 AM
Well, a fine and hearty good morning to all! Isn't it a great day??

I have to get up at 4 anyway to go to the airport, so might as well just stay awake. I can come back home and sleep for a while before going to work at 1 this afternoon.

Froufy, your dinner sounds so good and reminds me that I forgot eat. I think the meal you had was absolutely perfect! I love Japanese food and going to the hibachi restaurant, but it's always so much food and oil and salt, and ours don't have brown rice. I usually get the appetizer of chicken on a skewer and skip all the other stuff but next time I think I'll go for what you had. Okay great, now my stomach is gurgling.

We have six TVs in the house, and one in each of the four bedrooms. Since our schedules are all different, there's pretty much no other way if anyone ever wants to watch. Erin gets home late at night and if she watched out in the family room or upstairs living room, it would disturb others (me). I watch different stuff than Judd so I come up to my room for the news at night while he's watching whatever downstairs. It just works out well for us. Of course, so does having separate bedrooms so I guess we're weird anyway.

Seeing the date at the top of this thread reminds me that tomorrow (Monday) is my mom and dad's anniversary. They've been married for 53 years.

I'm off to play a game! See all you sleepyheads later!

Vickie
01-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I just wanted you all to know that my not being here as nothing to do with anything on the board. I've been trying to read when I can but I have no interest in sitting at the keyboard for long. I'm not well and Jim is now getting sick. The worst of it is that we almost lost Cindy Friday night. The entire family was summoned to her room. The weirdest part is that the bone marrow transplant was a 100% success. Her organs are just failing. There is no plan for her as she is bleeding and there is nothing they can do since surgery is not an option for her. Her husband says it is between her and God. So, I'm sure you can understand that my energy and my heart are elsewhere right now. I'll come back when I can.

Katpo
01-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Oh, no, Vickie! That just doesn't sound good at all. :hug:

We've all got colds here too ... Judd has the worst of all. He'll probably have to miss work and go to the doctor tomorrow, because it's not getting better.

Shaun missed his flight this morning due to us leaving late (he didn't get his things together last night like planned) and then he stood in the wrong line. He was really tired but that's his problem because he didn't get home until very late and there was no excuse for that. Anyway, there's one around noon that he'll try to get. It'll cost him $100 extra but that's the price of not planning and/or listening to your mom.

I'm going to go do a little housework before leaving for work. Everyone have a good day.

Tejas
01-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Vickie: I woke up this morning thinking about you and the loss of your uncle and the dire situation that your friend faces. Just know that we are all thinking of you and sending you our prayers, good thoughts and wishes.

Just take really good care of yourself and those you love.

Rhonda

Tejas
01-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Wow! Six TV's. I'd have to put two in each room in the house to get to that!!!

I think that every woman should have "a room of one's own"...even if it has to be shared ;)

Rhonda

blessedwithsarah
01-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Hello all, happy Sunday. Well, its quiet here now. Last night Sarah spiked another fever. We went to dinner, she was such a big girl, ordered her own pizza and root beer. When dinner came she was not hungry. We could not get her to eat anything or drink anything. By the time we were leaving she was asking to just go home. Poor thing. She had a slight fever of 99.9 at bedtime, gave her tylenol and put her to bed. Around 1am she was crying that her head hurt - she was feverish (didn't dare take it since she claims the underarm thermometer hurts - go figure). Gave her more tylenol and a cold cloth. This morning she was back down to 99.

She seems fine now - she has been eating and no fever. What scares me is that 3 schools in RI (not far from here) had been closed due to encepholitis (sp?) cases and in NH there were 2 recent cases of menigitis. Both, the CDC says, came from a bacteria that usual causes walking pneumonia. So, when she was saying her head hurt..... But then again, last week I had a killer headache for 2 days that taking meds made bearable. She could havd gotten that. Right now she is napping. The big question is if she goes to school tomorrow. Its her long day 8-3. We'll wait and see.

Food wise, I splurged last night on a cheesburger club. Was not that good - I didn't eat much of the bread at all and I did have some fries. Oh well. Back to it today. I made a wonderful Chicken Barley and Sweet potato soup. Very good and all core - I'll post it tomorrow as the recipe is on my work pc.

I've started researching new PCs. Its time to upgrade and get cable broadband. Yes, I'll finally be moving into the 21st century. I'm intregued by wireless and the possiblity of a laptop instead of a desk top. Some seem to have just as much power and storage. I'll have to check into the cost of it all. I need to pay off Christmas first. Good thing bonus's are coming in March.

On the TV front, I do have one in my bedroom. Everynight I fall asleep to the 10:00 news - its the only time I seem to get to watch the news. I've never had a problem not falling asleep in front of the TV - more than not I fall asleep and miss shows. Oh well....

Vickie, I hope you are doing well. HUGS to you and prayers for Cindy. It so hard to lose someone but we all must put our faith in God. He has kept her here fighting for a reason, it would all be so easy if we could understand His plans. I'll pray she is at peace with God and He keeps a watch over you all as well.

Kathy, thanks for sharing the picture of Shaun. Very handsome. I've always loved the look of men in uniforms. I guess it comes from being on Air Force bases growing up - by the time I was born my dad had retired from 20+ years in the service, we all still took advantage of the medical and such growing up. I hope he makes it back to base on time. and HUGS to you in regards to your health. Keep tracking you numbers and call your doctor soon.

Sandra, I love the idea of focusing on a weight to be rather than a # to lose. It does seem much more positive. Is 155 your final goal? I do understand the viewing yourself and not recognizing it. I was that way when I first reached goal. It did take some time to get used to the new me and sadly I did get back to viewiing my self as fat. Funny - 40 pds gone and I look at myself naked and see the same body - I'm not sure if I'll ever not think I need to lose weight. I had been heavy my whole adult life -always 20-40 pds overweight. It will be 2 years in May that I hit my goal, and I still thin I could lose 20 when I look at myself sometimes. Makes me wish I had a picture of me naked 40 pds ago.

Have a good on plan day.

septembersgoal
01-07-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm getting ready to hit my kitchen HARD!! So I can't stay but wanted to say hi.

Sandra, I just realized how amazing you are doing. I just know that you are going to reach 155 by Valentine's Day. Do you realize that you will have reached my goal? Well really I would be happy where you're at. I know it's possible, thank you for that, podna. :hug:

Kathy, what a handsome guy you've got there! I hope that everything is okay and goes well for him today (well and in the future too). :)

Frouf, I love turbo jam! I have the whole program so I'm not sure what's what...I ordered it off ebay for about $50 and got 5 workouts. They are so fun and SUCH a workout. Even DH will do them with me. I really sweat and "feel the burn." And I haven't even graduated past the 2nd workout yet! She also always has modifications for those with problem knees/backs, etc. There's even one of her "team" that has lost 70 pounds just by doing the modified exercises.

Vickie, :hug: I don't know what to say except Cindy is in my prayers. :hug:

I'm hitting the kitchen girls. Have you all seen the documentary "Super Size Me"...I know it's a few years old but I hadn't seen it until today. You must watch it!! You'll never want to eat fast food again.

I'm going to clean out the kitchen and get to cooking for the week! Let's do this girls! :cheer2:

ontarget
01-07-2007, 06:27 PM
kathy, shaun is a handsome guy. thank you for sharing the photo. he looks really really good. like rhonda says, "you gotta luv a man in a uniform."

rhonda, we don't have tv in the bedroom either. last night we watched "splanglish." it was cute. we sat in the hot tub afterwards talking about it. sometimes a movie just sticks with you.

frouf, i finished 2003 scrapbook yesterday and am 1/3 the way through 04. it's sort of neat seeing what happened back then. i told curtis our scrapbooks are sort of history books. i guess that's the way everybody's are. hope you and dd had a good time at the mall. i wanted to go today but the roads are too icey for me.

:hug: vickie. i am so sorry about cindy. i hope she isn't suffering. this is so sad. it's hard to lose a friend. you take care of yourself. your health is important. you have had a very very rough last several months. that has to have weakened your body.

paula, i hope sarah is better. keep us posted. my doctor set 155 as my ww goal. i may lose down further but i'm not sure. i won't have to pay at 157. that's the good part. then i can do what i want about losing more. i'm thinking i'll probably keep working on weighing 155. that's all right with me.

melissa, we watched supersize me and loved it. sure was an eye-opener. you're so sweet. i just love you to death. okay, start saying, "i plan to weigh 155 by _____" i'm saying it, too.

we're staying in this afternoon. the roads are icey. i'm hungry. i'll prob make a big big bowl of popcorn and watch some tv--in the media room. :lol: i don't know if i'll :tread: while watching or not. we'll see.

Tejas
01-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Paula, you're a better woman than I am. I just cannot watch the news at night, and I think that is one reason I don't have a TV in the bedroom. I get so agitated by the news, and it makes sleeping even harder than it normally is. But, I wouldn't mind watching a movie and drifting off to sleep.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's fever. Of course, most of the time it's "nothing" but thinking about the other times can be terrifying.

I do admit that sometimes I am glued to the news. We get the BBC here and I go back and forth between CNN and the BBC. But, most of the time I have to get my daily dose of horror earlier in the day!

Who is the "she" in the Turbojam post? I need new exercise DVDs :exercise:

DH has decided no more bread and no more potatoes for a while. Hmmm, well, that should help me out. Now, how to get the Vitamin B in him...oatmeal and other cereals should do the trick I guess. He won't eat whole wheat pasta at all. Oh, how I remember the good 'ole days of joking that beer was a great source of Vitamin B!

Today we had a late lunch of meatballs, new potatoes and peas. We're going to try eating the larger meal at lunch and eating less at night....at least on the days when I can be home for lunch. This is more of an issue about digestion than about weight. I hope it doesn't lead to being hungry :hun: in the middle of the night...we'll see.

Rhonda

ontarget
01-07-2007, 08:57 PM
rhonda, we have our large meal at noon. if we eat a large meal at night, we have a heck of a time sleeping. (right now, curtis is asleep in his recliner with his remote in his hand.)

septembersgoal
01-07-2007, 09:29 PM
OK Sandra, I'm thinking about when my "date" should be. And I love you too! ;)

Rhonda, her name is Charlene...if you go to BeachBody.com they are the makers and distributors, but you can find it in several places I think (like ebay!).

Good night girlies!

Froufy
01-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Yes men and their remotes - even have to hold onto them when they're sleeping! lol

Vickie - so sorry to hear about Cindy's setback - I am hoping she pulls through. I know you must be hearbroker and we understand your absence and your need to store up your emotional energy as required!

Kathy - sounds like my kids - you can talk to them til you're blue in the face giving them some good advice - but no they have to do it their way - and then @#$#$ happens! Hope Shaun eventually got off okay!

Rhonda - as for the news I try to avoid just because it's so horrific and usually so sad! I stopped a few years ago - I noticed after my mom died I was also so sad anyways that anything more just put me over the edge. I figure if something's important enuf I will hear about it - and so far that has been the case.

Paula - hope Sarah is all better - and I can relate to kids being sick and always wondering how serious it might be! I always get worried about the headaches - when my little guy has a headache he comes to tell us 'his brain hurts" - cute and funny even when he's not feeling well!

Sandra - congrats on getting that scrapbook done - need I say my 'receipt basket' still needs attention?

So had to leave the house most of the day today cuz of all the messes. I seem to be very sensitive these days to clutter and mess - went crazy on big ds last night - chucking all his cds/dvds in the GARBAGE CAN in the garage cuz he just wasn't picking up after himself.

Today I went into little ds' room and saw more piles and piles of stuff everywhere so I 'assigned' dh to help him out today - no games, no tv, no computer - just room cleanup....then took dd to the mall before her dance rehearsals. After that I went out shopping and for coffee, and to the library. Then home around 5 pm to prepare dinner (cola chicken - yumyum) and thankfully most of the mess was cleaned up.

I am dreading work tomorrow too - so many crises and my manager gets back from 2 weeks holiday tomorrow so I will have to debrief her on all the @#$#@ that has been going on - I know she won't be happy - and I am already feeling so emotionally (and physically?) exhausted.

I did not exercise today - decided to take a day off - soles of my feet hurt a bit (rubbing in the shoes?)....but will be back at it tomorrow. Will go have a second look at the Turbo Jam (beginner version - 3 workouts I think) based on Melissa's recommendation - but I do think it is probably too difficult for me?

Melissa - is it 'dancy' in any way? just stepping? Any info on type of workout and music would be appreciated!

Lunch and snacks packed up for tomorrow along with my CLEAN PINK water bottle! Wonder if I should get on the scale tomorrow morning? If scale is up I will surely be depressed :(

Froufie

ontarget
01-07-2007, 09:38 PM
melissa, :;):

frouf, i'm here working on labels for the 04 scrapbook. after tonight i should have it finished through march. i don't like clutter either. i'm glad you got some help with it today.

Tejas
01-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I've got to learn how to do this scrapbooking thing. Haven't got a clue. I put pictures in a pretty box and label the box. But, I think I want to do something just a little bit nicer with the last few years in my life. I saw a scrapbooking store not far from here. Guess I should just walk in there and find out what's what.

Clutter...boy, I think that the universe didn't give me children for a good reason. I'd pile that clutter on top of them and they'd NEVER dig out. :kickbutt: (Wouldn't want anyone inspecting my home or office though! As a kid I used to worry that if Jesus came to my house he would be unhappy because my things were disorganized and the Bible wasn't prominently displayed. "They" had done a real number on my head then!!!)

But, I read a cute story in the paper today about quit taking clutter so seriously. It seems that the people who say they are neat freaks make less money than those who say they can tolerate clutter!! So, the advice was: ACE, meaning "Aw, relax" "Clean it up" and "Eject something"

ontarget
01-07-2007, 11:17 PM
rhonda, my scrapbooks cover from when curtis and i got together back in 1996. they are sort of an ongoing history of our life together. that's a good idea to go into a shop and get started. i am making a scrapbook for each year. i'm on 04 now. i don't think 05 and 06 will fill 2 scrapbooks. i'll prob combine them.

i got rid of a lot of my clutter when i moved to montana. curtis has enough for both of us, though. i just don't like it when it's scattered everywhere. he's pretty good about keeping his piles fairly organized. lol does this mean we should have a little money? sure wish it did.