Old 12-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/196/150

Height: 5'6

Default help me get started PLEASE!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have come back to this lovely community for support & hope i can get control of my weight! I feel like i have been dieting all my life & since my boyfriend came home from the Marines i have gained...15 pounds!!! The hoildays haven't helped much either & somehow in 2 weeks i gained 6 pounds how horrible!!

I just need some advise. I have no idea what diet to try or stick to. I have tried no carb, mainly fruit diets, & lean cuisines and i was wondering what has worked for any of you?

I was also wondering about the scale? Should i weigh myself once a week? Or all the time. I am obessed with the scale! I want to get on it every chance i get!

Well thanks for the help in advance! i hope i can this time actually lose some weight!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:52 PM   #2  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

Hi Alison

Here is my advice, based on my own experience and what has helped me. Everyone is different, so it may or may not be helpful to you, but I hope some of it is.

1. Get out of the "diet" mindset. I know it gets old, hearing this, but it really is about lifestyle change. Say goodbye to diets.

2. Eat less, and eat healthier. Eat slowly and really pay attention to your food, eat mindfully. Study nutrition. It will really change how you feel about what you're putting into your body.

3. Exercise. Find exercise you love. There are some fantastic DVDs out there. Bellydance, yoga, budokon, pilates, weights, ballet, etc. etc. If you have a dog....walk your dog!!! Every day. Find something.

4. This is VERY important: if you have any issues with emotional eating (most people do) then I suggest you look into finding some books on that. There are some really good ones out there. Let me know if you want recommendations.

5. Know that you deserve to be healthy and feel beautiful and your very best.

6. Be consistent. Never give up. It does get easier. Know that there will be slip ups and "relapses" but that all that is important is that you *keep going.*

7. Consistency. (Once again )

I'm here if you ever want to talk or need support. I'm still figuring this all out, too.

~nineteen

Last edited by nineteen; 12-30-2006 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

nineteen offered a lot of great advice. I know she already said it, but seriously, it can' be stressed enough: kiss "diets" good-bye. If you have to cut an entire food group out of your life or you are only eating pre-packaged food, then you're not learning how to eat properly for the rest of your life, and chances are, you'll end up gaining the weight back as soon as you go "off" the diet.

For me, calorie counting has been a Godsend. I don't have to cut anything out of my life as long as I stay within a healthy range of calories for myself. I don't follow anyone else's plan...how can anyone else in the world really know what's best for me? I ignore online calorie calculators that tell me I can eat something lije 2500 calories a day to lose weight (ha, no, I can't, but thanks for trying, "experts" ). I ignore how many calories people around me are eating (or people on here, as the case may be). I have found the number that works best for ME. I also have a few other guidelines I try to follow that just plain make sense for both weight loss and good health:
  • I try to eat at least 100g of protein a day. Some people say this still isn't enough, but I know it's already more than I used to eat, so it is an improvement (protein helps to keep you feeling fuller longer and is an integral ingredient in helping to keep some of your muscle instead of losing muscle as you lose weight).
  • I try to drink at least 3 liters of plain water every day (very highly individual preference here--not everyone needs so much water, but it makes me feel good and gives me a firm goal to strive for).
  • I do an average of at least 30 minutes of exercise a day (and by "average," I mean if I skip a workout one day, then I do 60 minutes the next day).
  • I try to avoid high fructose corn syrup and trans fats whenever humanly possible.
  • I try to avoid overly-processed carbs as much as possible since they are nearly void of nutrition and instead go for brown rice, whole wheat couscous, quinoa, 100% whole-grain breads, etc.
I know that sounds like a lot, but to me, it's all pretty simple, and I didn't just flip a switch one day and start following ALL of those rules. I started by just counting calories and exercising at least 4 days a week. Then, as I got comfortable with that, I started making other changes that would only improve my health and fitness more. My next guideline to add soon will concern strength training--right now, I usually only do walking or a Walk Away the Pounds DVD as my exercise, so I would like to add in some upper body strength training (got a set of adjustable hand weights for Christmas!).

Anyway, sorry that was so long, but you asked what worked for me, and what has been working for me is a bit long-winded
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #4  

Thanks to both of you.
I think when i put my mind to it
I will start dropping pounds!
Plus my boyfriend said he wanted to eat better too.
So of course that will make it A LOT easier.

I went to the store today
& got tons of fruit
jello & lean cuisines!

so hopefully i will be feeling better in no time!!
alisonordinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #5  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Wow Great advice! I agree with all said! And remember, when you have an 'off' day.. don't let it ruin everything you've built up..also it's ok to have those things we always think we shouldn't..moderation is the key.
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:51 PM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

Wise words, jillybean.

Also wanted to add that fiber is fantastic for keeping you full and satisfied. Protein + Fiber = an unbeatable combination.

Good luck Alison and let us know how it goes.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 224/216/110

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonordinary View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was also wondering about the scale? Should i weigh myself once a week? Or all the time. I am obessed with the scale! I want to get on it every chance i get!

I'm mostly going by from what was the norm when I did Weight Watchers. Weigh-ins were once a week.

I understand wanting to get on the scale at every possible chance. I've done that since I started wanting to lose weight at 15/16 years old. Through my experience, I have found that it makes it more difficult as far as losing weight/motivation (for me, anyway) - more of a mind game to me.

The scale would determine what kind of day I would have (I know it sounds cliche, but very true). If I maintained or was up a pound or two, I would go into a binging spiral. For me, weighing in every day made things much more unhealthy.

If I'm not mistaken, weight fluctuates throughout the day as well as from day to day, so multiple times a day/once daily most likely will not give accurate results.

Once a week seems like it would give you the most accurate result.

Best of luck
spunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #8  

Default The Fun of Dieting

I just started again on my neverending weight loss journey, and I am doing "the Sugar Solution". My problem was I would do weight watchers and I would pick foods that tasted good but have no nutritional value( and low points). Then I was hungry all the time. I am addicted to sugar, so I know this will work for me. You just want balance....protien was something I always skimped on when doing WW because of the points, but it actually makes you full. I think you can do any diet, but you have to have the right mindset. You have to truely and whole heartedly believe you can do it. It's not a race and it is something you will have to do the rest of your life...I know I am going to do it this year....good luck to you!
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I agree. Don't even say that four letter word, diet! LOL

1. Don't do diets! I repeat, don't do diets! Find something that you can stick with for life, because this is a lifestyle change. I recommend, after trying EVRYTHING out there, calorie counting. I also recommend eating a lot of protein. Not to do low carb, but just eat lots of protein. Include protien with everything you eat.

2. Eat what you enjoy. Do you really like Lean Cuisine? They are okay, especially if time is what you lack. But if you can, try preparing meals yourself. The Lean Cuisines get old fast, but I do keep some on hand for emergencies.

3. I recommend eating 5-6 smalled meals per day instead of 3. A meal can be: a piece of fruit and string cheese, a cup of soup, etc. aim for meals between 100-400 calories. This will keep your body burning fat longer because it knows it will eat again soon.

4. Find exercise that you like. I hate cardio machines. I try never to do them unless I have to. Instead I choose aerobics and kickboxing classes, Taebo videos, Dance Dance Revolution, walking my dog, etc.

Hope this helps!
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #10  

thanks to everyone!

i know everyone is like dont do DIETS!
but i cant help it!
i just realized how i LOVE to eat
& if i could live off of oreos & ice cream i would!

i have descided to count calories again
& so far it's working good
& i'm feeling great!

hopefully it will get easier not hard when school starts!

as far as scales go!
i will never understand them!

i bought a new one & the new one makes me fatter then the old one
even though the new one makes my boyfriend skinner then the old one?

weird.
anyways
thanks again for all the help!

i hope everyone else is doing great!
alisonordinary is offline   Reply With Quote