YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets - YOU on a Diet - Support Thread #3

View Full Version : YOU on a Diet - Support Thread #3

Jennifer 3FC
12-29-2006, 11:09 PM
If you are following YOU On a Diet, please post here. :)

cassy
12-30-2006, 11:35 AM
I just read the book last night and need to get going on this. I need help! Want to join this help group. Am already confused about sugar- can I have some on my oatmeal or not? Am I supposed to throw out my Splenda? And can I have raisins on my oatmeal? Any help would be apprecaited- if I don't have support, I know I will fail like all the other million times........

Sugar_Bells
12-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi there;

I am just starting to read the book, and program looks do able. I have been trying to get into the site but no luck, not sure what is up with that.

I agree with Cassy that support is a biggie, and it is one area that I have lacked everytime I have tried to lose the excess weight and change the lifestyle.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!!

SusanR

jourdain
12-30-2006, 02:51 PM
I just read the book last night and need to get going on this. I need help! Want to join this help group. Am already confused about sugar- can I have some on my oatmeal or not? Am I supposed to throw out my Splenda? And can I have raisins on my oatmeal? Any help would be apprecaited- if I don't have support, I know I will fail like all the other million times........

From what I gather from the book, this site and another I am a member of:

Sugar is basically a no-no. As is anything that ends with -ose. There is a healthy debate on Splenda, depending on where you see yourself. Dr. Oz recommends Agave nectar, but states that Splenda is basically the lesser of all the sweetener/sugar evils. Quite frankly, I don't see Agave as a good alternative when you are baking and cooking, but I don't have any experience with it, so I'm just talking out of my butt.

Since Splenda is basically so new, there hasn't been a ton of studies on it to see if there are any long-term effects from using it.

So, if you want to be extremely strict... get rid of the sugar and the Splenda. However, if you must have something on your oatmeal and Agave is out of the question (I refuse to pay that much money for something I may not like... if only they has a small bottle), then Splenda is fine.

As far as raisins go... if they are just dried grapes with no added sugar, you'll be fine. Naturally occuring Fructose (as in vegetables and fruits) is fine.

Just my 2 cents

kimpo101
12-30-2006, 05:31 PM
I totally agree that we need a group for You on a diet folks. I am currently re-reading it. There is a short list on another site: Realage.com I think it is the official site for You on a diet. It has forums and other tools. As far as I can find there is no Official List for the foods because (i guess) there are so many. Just follow the guidelines and you should be fine. I will be happy to help you any way I can. I am not an expert (far from it) but we can learn together. It would be great to create a list of foods. Whenever you find something that works with the diet post it on the list. We had potato salad tonight and I so wanted the kind with all the mayo in it :devil: but I was able to make some for myself with just a little mustard, onion, green pepper, and jalapeno pepper. It was ok but I guess you make the sacrifice for good health. Oh yeah all the Kashi Products are ok. Ill see if I can find the list on the other site and post it here. Kim

kimpo101
12-30-2006, 05:59 PM
http://www.realage.com/doctorcenter/Board.aspx?7KSKFm1RW4L2R6hxsWJC50pG6prnFCQael56Vcn qtUQ=lk9OD

Hey here is the link...I dont know if you have one of these stores near you. If not you can get an idea of what kind of foods you can have. Also things you are going to eat on a regular basis you can order on line from Amazon.com. You have to order in bulk thats why I say things you will eat on a regular basis. Other things check your local healthfood stores or other online stores. Hope this helps. kim

shutterbugmom27
12-30-2006, 06:32 PM
After seeing Dr. Oz on Oprah, I decided to try it out. So I ordered the You On A Diet book from Amazon. It should arrive next week. I checked out the RealAge website already and was shocked to see that my real age is 6.5 years older than I am. Which can easily be changed by diet and exercise. Both me and my hubby need to lose weight. He loses alot easier than me though so I need a plan. I cannot wait to get the book!
Oh, my name is Heather. I am married with 4 kids, ages 11, 9, 7, and 6. I am still carrying the 65lbs I gained with the second kid. UGH!! This is the year I will do it!!!!!! :carrot:

Jane
12-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks for starting a new thread, Jennifer!

Jourdain - I agree about the sugar info you gave. I don't have access to Agave where I live, and am making do with Splenda.

H 179 - hope you got my message about potatoes on the last thread. :)

Welcome to the newbies. I don't post here often, but I am basically following this plan, and counting calories.

beachlace
12-30-2006, 10:25 PM
I would love to join you folks. I have the book which I've read/skimmed. Need to read again. Love the idea of automating my eating. Cheerios with banana for breakfast and turkey sandwich for lunch. Dinner is whatever. I'm trying to get in touch with eating to be "satisfied" and not "full".

I am soooo tired of planning and worrying about what I'm eating. I'm also on a calorie counting program and am trying to keep my day to 1500. At 5', that seems about right to loose 1 lb or so a week. 5lbs per month is my goal.

I have been walking for 30 minutes each day-- NO EXCUSES and it really helps with pent up stress. :carrot:

H 179
12-31-2006, 07:26 AM
Jane- I did see the potato post, thanks. I love potatoes of all types and was a bit confused when I saw a white potato in one of the recipes. I too would be hesitant to mix it with a tortilla. I will probably stick with sweet potatoes just to be safe though. I will however miss the brown sugar and butter slathered all over it...*grin*

I didn't throw out my splenda as it was a life saver while on SBD for me. I go lightly on its use but still feel the need for sweetness every now and then.

shutterbugmom27 - Welcome to the thread! My name is also Heather and I too have 4 children 9 (10 in Jan), 8, 5, and 16 months. I lost all my weight 7 years after having my 1st one (that is a reasonable amount of time isn't it LOL) then I became preggo with #4. UUUGGGHHHH preggo in Germany surrounded by the best bakeries in the world. Needless to say I gained it all back and then some. So here I sit back at square one trying to lose the weight.....again :(

Hope YOU all have a great day!

H

Ria
12-31-2006, 07:48 AM
I also would love to join this group and agree we need a forum .. This program looks duable, please let me know when a group is formed. Can't wait, have 50 to loose, maybe a little more , have my walking tape and book !!! ready to go........

AlleyTD
12-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi Everyone ...

I would love to be in a new YOU on a diet group ... I love Dr OZ and have read both his books and seen him on Discovery health ... I even purchased the pedometer he uses... sadly, I used it for 3 days and now it has been collecting dust for the last 3 weeks.

I'm new to 3 chicks and I am posting here as well as couple of other forums for support.

Here's a little about me: I'm older than I like to admit ;) and I have two little boys ages 6 and 2. I was a very successful career woman until I got married and children children in my mid thirties and that changed my life ... for the better (because I love my boys) for the worst because my life changed so drastically.

I went from traveling all over North America being independant, selfish and skinny - to being skinny to being a stay-at home mom, putting everyone else before me and gaining 70 pounds which I haven't taken off.

Needless, to say I am depressed about it and in a continual downhill spiral.
I don't exercise anymore, I eat late at night, I eat WAY too much food that is bad for me and I find myself stuck in a rut.

Soooooo, I am hoping and praying that finding support among all of you wonderful ladies and gentlemen will motivate me to change my unhealthy ways.

Ria
12-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Kimpo101 , thank you so much for that website it has everything you need.

jourdain
12-31-2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.realage.com/doctorcenter/Board.aspx?7KSKFm1RW4L2R6hxsWJC50pG6prnFCQael56Vcn qtUQ=lk9OD

Hey here is the link...I dont know if you have one of these stores near you. If not you can get an idea of what kind of foods you can have. Also things you are going to eat on a regular basis you can order on line from Amazon.com. You have to order in bulk thats why I say things you will eat on a regular basis. Other things check your local healthfood stores or other online stores. Hope this helps. kim

Hey that's MY post :) :D Gee.. does this mean I'm famous? :dancer:

kimpo101
12-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Jourdain---yep that was your list I was just passing along all the great info-:carrot: I wish we could find a list for a more "famous" (wally world) store. Guess i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and spend several hours in wally world. I think that is the place I hate to go more than any other place in the world. If I didn't say so on the other site thanks for the post. I wasn't intentionally trying to take credit for your post:devil: . Happy New Year!!
Kim

jourdain
12-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Jourdain---yep that was your list I was just passing along all the great info-:carrot: I wish we could find a list for a more "famous" (wally world) store. Guess i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and spend several hours in wally world. I think that is the place I hate to go more than any other place in the world. If I didn't say so on the other site thanks for the post. I wasn't intentionally trying to take credit for your post:devil: . Happy New Year!!
Kim

No prob :) I'm really not THAT arrogant ... although some might disagree :) Have a happy new year

rincaro
01-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Good morning and happy new year! My dh and I are starting the YOU plan today, of course. A monday and the 1st of the year? What better day to start a diet! ;)

I need to lose a lot! And so does he. But I've already gotten in my 30 minute walk today (with my partner Rufus the beagle) and I'm wearing my pedometer and drinking some water. Hope everyone's new year is off to a great start!

Jane
01-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Beachlace - I count calories, too, since I can't be trusted to eat "until I'm full/satisfied" as explained in the book. Most of my overeating has never had anything to do with actual hunger.

H 179 - one way to enjoy sweet potatoes is to cut them into strips, spray a little olive oil on them, and bake. You can also add some Mrs. Dash, parsley, chili powder, or whatever spice sounds good at the time. If you don't try to compare them with french fries, they're really tasty!

Ria - is the doc's pedometer a special kind? I have to say I didn't notice it. Now I'm curious.

rincaro - my dd is get a homeless dog today, and it's part beagle. They're sweet, aren't they? Good luck to you and your DH in starting a new, healthy life.

I measured my waist and also got weighed today. (Even though the docs don't care about a number on the scale, I have to admit that I do.) I hope we all stay as enthusiastic for the long haul as we are right now. :yes:

flower
01-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Going to read this this week. It came in the mail the other day.

tatt
01-01-2007, 04:26 PM
ok, holidays over, sick sick sickness is over. All throught Christmas week, crackers and orange sherbert for 5 days, not that it helped any, but here it is 1-1-07, cupboards are cleaned, equipment is dusted off, I'm heading for the treadmill NOW, and will be on line begging for some support/encouragement on a daily basis now. Good luck to all and a Happy Healthy New Year
(I think I posted on the old thread) but I'll be checking everywhere to see how the rest of you are doing and for something to keep me motivated. This is postively the last time I'm 'starting' something.

katec
01-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Everything "junky" is out of my house, I have plenty of fruit and veg and a new resolve to beat this weight thing. Looking forward to posting here and reading about all of your experiences. I also appreciate all the information as to specific things you are eating - not having a real set list is good in many ways, but it's also sometimes nice to have things spelled out for you, or just to get ideas from other people. Of course I am automating breakfast and dinner - I have Kashi cereal, nuts and raisins, probiotic yogurt and whole wheat pitas at the ready!

ckatgo
01-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Hey Everyone! Well...I am back..meaning I have been lurking around this board for years now and done about every diet imaginable! This is the only book that has come along in a while that seems sensible. Middle of the road. So I am going to give it a shot. I like the the non craziness of it, and the fact that it is backed up with science. I have looked up the resume of the people who wrote it and I am impressed. So I am giving it a shot. Like alot of you sugar is my demon. And its my goal from now until Febuary to elimiate it. I start today. Its going to be hard. I still have some candy lurking around. I love to bake when its cold, and its cold. I love sweet creamer in my coffee first thing in the morning. So this will be tough, but I am determined.

So heres to a wonderful new life.

(I heard all godesses get to reclaim their virginity every new year....LOL)

rincaro
01-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Well I made it through day one. Had a bit of the munchies, but then I read in the book that I'm supposed to eat. So I made myself a healthy oz-approved snack and all was well. I am really excited about not having to count everything!

So what are your "regular" meals? I know I will have the same breakfast everyday. One scrambled egg with fat-free cheese on a whole-wheat english muffin. Easy and it sticks with me for hours. But I don't quite know what to do about lunch. Next week I start classes again so I will have to pack something to eat in between classes. 'Cause there ain't nothing good for you in the college cafeteria!

msgypsylee
01-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi all. I'm brand new to the program today. I would love to join your thread.

Good luck everyone!!

BfL_Cat
01-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Hello guys - mind if I join you as well? My name is Cindy, and I live in upstate NY. I'm 43 and single, but trying to lose weight/get in shape for my wedding this September. That gives me 9 full months to accomplish as much as I can.

I read most of the book this weekend - just need to go back and read some of the science stuff to finish it up.

I enjoy following the Body for Life program, which already includes a lot of weight lifting, but intend to incorporate the YOU: food limitations and 30 minutes of daily walking into that program.

I started yesterday, but hadn't been to the store yet, so it made for a rough day. Am headed to the market tonight to pick up lots of YOU-compliant foods.

One question for you all - I know that "butter" isn't really on the list of foods we should use, but DF won't give it up. Is there a compliant margarine out there, or should I just get him real butter?
Cindy

rincaro
01-02-2007, 03:06 PM
My DH loves butter, but of course it's full of saturated fats. The only non-hydrogenated margarines I know of are Smart Balance & Earth Balance. Earth Balance usually costs more, but even though it's non-dairy it also tastes better.

In other news, I picked some agave nectar today at my local health food store. It tastes good to me. Probably very good for putting into tea, and my DH is a big green tea fan.

BfL_Cat
01-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Ok, I was reading through the old threads for this WOL, and came across the pancake question. Lately I've been making buckwheat pancakes, using Bob's Red Mill mix - am wondering what you all think of these ingredients?

Organic Stone Ground Buckwheat, Organic Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, Wheat Gluten, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Baking Powder (Monocalcium Phosphate, Bicarbonate of Soda, Cornstarch), Sea Salt.

The pancakes it makes are very filling. Not planning on eating these every week, but wondering if they'd be ok once a month, in terms of ingredients.
Cindy

msgypsylee
01-02-2007, 03:32 PM
cindy,

What's the fiber content?

BfL_Cat
01-02-2007, 03:54 PM
For one serving, it's 6g of fiber, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, and 2g sugars. Oh, I should metion that it does call for canola oil to make, but that's ok, in terms of fats, right? Or, I guess I could sub flaxseed or Udo's here.
Cindy

msgypsylee
01-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Sounds like a decent amount of fiber per serving. I would say it ok but I'm a newbie. Someone else may have other opinions.

katec
01-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey everyone - I made it through the first day really well. I had a terrible time falling asleep last night, so I was sort of in a haze for most of the day, which worked in my favor with regards to cravings and thinking about food. I barely had enough time to think about menial tasks!

My waist size is criminal - baseline reading, 46". I am a classic apple with a big belly and butt (although right now everything on me is big!), so I'm not too surprised, but it certainly motivates me to plug ahead with this WOE.

kimpo101
01-02-2007, 08:12 PM
I was wondering what the difference was in the sugar and this is what I found. Seems to me that they may both be the same and not really acceptable on the YOU diet. I may be wrong. I added the site where I found the answer. kim

In my opinion, evaporated cane juice (ECJ) and regular sugar are basically the same thing. ECJ is essentially a less refined, less purified form of regular sugar, popular with those consumers who favor "organic" or "natural" products Both ECJ and regular sugar comes from sugar cane (although regular sugar can also come from sugar beet). The carbohydrate is interest in both products is sucrose. ECJ, since it is less refined, is typically light brown or blonde in color and will has a different flavor (like a weak brown sugar or with molasses notes). Regular suger is highly refined and purified to be almost 100% sucrose.

Nutritionally, ECJ and regular sugar are the same, contributing the same calories to your diet. The two will be metabolized by our bodies in the same way and there is really no real health benefit to use ECJ over sugar. (Click here for an explanation of glycolysis and how sugar is metabolized.)

http://www.wemoosh.com/monthly/question.html

BfL_Cat
01-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks for that explanation about sugar and cane juice - I saw ECJ listed on a lot of labels at the store today, and wondered if it was a better alternative.

Wow - it sure was hard shopping at the regular grocery store today. I had *no* luck with the yogurt, and found no bread without HFCS in it - I settled for a brand that had it listed as #6 or 7 on the ingredient list.

Guess this means I'll have to check out our more health-type stores. Oh, or maybe a bigger Hannaford or Price Chopper would have more selection? Seems I remember reading that from someone some where....

Cindy

CLCSC145
01-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I shop at a normal grocery store. For yogurt, I buy Mountain High lowfat plain yogurt and put fruit on it like berries. It took a few bites to get used to, but I really like it now and don't miss the sugar or sugar substitutes or HFCS! It just has lowfat milk, pectin, and cultures. The low fat is much creamier than the fat free, but only has 140 cals in a cup (and I eat about half that with my berries).

As for bread, I have mostly given it up, but my store has pitas in the bakery section (not the bread aisle) that have no HFCS. Or I get WASA crisps in the bread aisle. Basically big airy crackers. I put my tuna on them.

Also, if there is something you want and can't find, consider asking the store manager. I ask mine to order stuff all the time. He's really nice about it!

rincaro
01-03-2007, 08:28 AM
We've been getting Sara Lee Whole Wheat breads. No HFCS, although there is honey in the one we prefer. But the sugar grams are low enough and the bread is very hearty!

Hala Bakery makes lite whole wheat pitas with no HFCS. I don't know if that's just a local thing though. And we've been getting Tam-X-ico's whole wheat tortillas. No bad stuff in those and they are filling!

kimpo101
01-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I made this great smoothie/icee type drink today. I took Crystal Light (berry flavor) and mixed it with some frozen peaches, berries, melon and ice. I put it in the blender and mixed it all up. It was great and it took me forever to drink it which helped keep the cravings away.

BfL_Cat
01-03-2007, 02:54 PM
With tuna I enjoy Ak-mak crackers. They are whole wheat and do have some honey in them, but the sugars are low enough.

I plan to keep away from bread, but want to try to keep DF eating his normal stuff, so I need it for him.

Kimpo, your concoction sounds good - I'm struggling today (Day 3), with wanting to eat something sweet. Doesn't help that there are leftover Christmas goodies in the break room at work today. What are these people thinking?

I've really got to get some carrots and/or apples to keep here at work for times like this.

What is the verdict on sf/ff jello? I've mixed that into plain yogurt before - it's pretty good. But, I'm not sure about the ingredients...

So, how is everyone doing with this plan? Anyone want to share your progress? I did seem to be 1/4" down on my waist already today!
Cindy

kimpo101
01-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I would think that SF jello would be ok. I know its ok for Atkins induction. I am so snack happy right now I can hardly stand it. Im thinking an apple with a very small amount of cream cheese with splenda and cinnamon to make a dip. I did ok today up until dinner and then the kids had the last of the fish sticks and ff in the house( and of course a vegie). I did have a couple of ff's even though they were baked they still had the hydro veg oil. I am thinking about purchasing a book I saw today with all the allowable diabetic foods in it. It told the fat, sugar and other values. I thought that might help give me some sort of idea about the foods that I could purchase and that will speed things up at the store. Going off to crunch my apple. Man I wish it was cheesecake:devil: :devil: :devil: kim

CLCSC145
01-03-2007, 07:11 PM
So, how is everyone doing with this plan? Anyone want to share your progress? I did seem to be 1/4" down on my waist already today!
Cindy

Granted I have a lot of waist to lose, but I am down 3.25 inches there in a month... Woo hoo!

ckatgo
01-04-2007, 07:19 AM
WOW..way to go everyone! I am sorry I have not posted much lately. I have been having a devil of time at work comming off a LONG vacation. (it is amazing how fast one can become use to sleeping in) Then to make matters even more difficult ~~ PMS. It seems everytime I try to start an excercise or to change my eating *poof* there it is! But I have been doing well, yesterday was my first offical day and I had:

B: Oatmeal, w/ splenda and cinnamon, banana
S: Orange
L: soyburger on english muffin, w/ tomato, and pear. (Ok, I a single serving pack of chips from the vending machine...but I claim PMS cravings....)
Dinner: chicken, corn, black bean, basmati rice thing...The book didn't say much about rice, but I figure since it's still low GI it maybe ok (that and the 15 pound bag in my house I am not throwing away)

I go grocery shopping today, so this should be an adventure judgeing from what the rest of you are saying....talk at you later, I will post more, I promise!

rincaro
01-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Good morning YOU-bies! I had a slipup last night, but surprisingly I feel really positive about it. I think all this YOU-turn business is the key. So I goofed. So I make a YOU-turn. All is good.

In other good news, even though the scale says I'm only about a half pound down, my stomach felt less fat. So I measured my waist just now, and I've already went down over an inch! Over course I have a lot of inches to lose, but hey, movement in the right direction is awesome!

msgypsylee
01-04-2007, 08:20 AM
HI all. Just checking in for the day. Have a great day all!!!

piperboo
01-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Just finished reading the book! I have done a TON of different diets - I read this book in an entirely different light. I am excited about eating more healthy and also making myself walk 30 minutes a day.
I have made up a few different recipes - loosely based on his recipes. Let me know if you guys see anything in them that may not fit the plan. I am planning on re reading the book, but so far, I feel like it is pretty easy!!

Morning Shakes - I use the bullet blender.
I fill the mixing cup 1/3 with crushed ice, then I cover the ice with Vanilla Soy Milk. I add a few scoops of crushed pineapple, frozen blueberries and a half of a banana, then top it off with a tablespoon of soy protein powder. They taste awesome! I have been getting up every morning and making one for DH and then make one for myself about a 1/2 hour later.

Lunch - I have been making whole wheat turkey wraps. I take whole burrito size wraps, then spread marinara sauce over it, layer with sliced turkey and sprinkle with skim mozzerella cheese. I roll it up and grill it on the George Forman grill. They taste really good.

Dinner - I took whole wheat english muffins and topped them with marinara sauce, tuna and skim mozzerella cheese and then baked them in the oven.

I have tried to stick with ingredients I saw in the book - anyone see anything that might not fit in the recipes above?

Good luck girls - we can do it!!!

BfL_Cat
01-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Piper - I think your menu looks pretty good, but I'm a YOU:bie, so I may be wrong.

Question for you all about whole wheat pasta - does anyone have any tips or tricks to make it better? I've not been a fan in the past, and had settled on the Barilla Plus, which I love, but I see now that it doesn't have any whole grains.

Are there specific brands of ww pasta that you think are better than others? I've mainly used Hodgson Mill.

The good news is that my sweet cravings were better today - I did remember to bring in carrot sticks for myself. I had both a ww english muffin and some steel-cut oats this morning (b'fast and snack), and think it really did a good job of helping with my hunger. I think maybe I need to limit any fruit as snacks to the afternoon, as I think it makes me get hungrier sooner.
Cindy

ckatgo
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Bfl Cat ~ Boy am I glad you mentioned hunger. I am starving all the time. It seems the only time I am full is when I eat some fat. And considering this is a fat restricted diet....I am in for a heck of a time. Today I had the munchies big time all day...could have ate like a horse, starved when I didn't until I ate a piece a of cheese. Then I was fine. Didn't want anything more, its dinner time now, having fish. Not that hungry really. Strange.

The brand we buy is called Harvest Farms. I have tried the barilla plus and love it, but it is not whole grains. I have tried others like the Hodson's mills and some from the health food store and they are just too grainy and "wheatie" tasting. ICK!

Hope it helps!

rincaro
01-05-2007, 08:17 AM
I choose to use the barilla plus. We're vegetarians and I take every chance I get to supplement our omegas. But that's a personal choice.

The only whole wheat pasta I really enjoy is the Bionaturae brand. I buy it at my local health food store, although I'm pretty sure they sell it at either Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods. We don't have those stores here.

I'm not starving, but Dr. Oz says if you're hungry eat. I make sure to get some protein to stop my rumbly tummy. And my dh swears by a small serving of walnuts to get him through.

Nikaia
01-05-2007, 11:22 AM
My housemate got the YOU book for Xmas and brought it back. I flipped through it briefly, and she and I are going to try the plan. Course, I'm sick, so it all basically went in one ear and out the other. ;)

As far as I can remember, wasn't the whole idea basically one of whole foods, less sugar, more produce, and portion control? Pretty simple, but I did recall that some of the recipes looked quite good.

piperboo
01-05-2007, 12:06 PM
I made a whole wheat pasta dish last night - I took a can of chicken breast and sauteed it in olive oil and added salt, pepper, paprika and garlic. Then I mixed it in the pasta with a can of corn and a can of sweet peas. It was really really good - the DH went back for seconds. I think though maybe the corn and peas may have too much sugar? Not sure about that. For some reason I don't feel like I have a clear cut understanding of all the basics - total sugar consumption, etc...

msgypsylee
01-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm curious, have any of you noticed a loss in waist size before you actually have lost weight?

jourdain
01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
I made a whole wheat pasta dish last night - I took a can of chicken breast and sauteed it in olive oil and added salt, pepper, paprika and garlic. Then I mixed it in the pasta with a can of corn and a can of sweet peas. It was really really good - the DH went back for seconds. I think though maybe the corn and peas may have too much sugar? Not sure about that. For some reason I don't feel like I have a clear cut understanding of all the basics - total sugar consumption, etc...

I'm thinking that sugar via veggies is handled the same as the sugar in fruit. It's naturally occurring. As long as you aren't adding sugar to the veggies, you should be ok.

BfL_Cat
01-05-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm thinking that sugar via veggies is handled the same as the sugar in fruit. It's naturally occurring. As long as you aren't adding sugar to the veggies, you should be ok.

I'm thinking the same. Besides, for me it's about baby steps - I obviously enjoy the higher sugar fruits and veggies more, so if eating them keeps me on track, instead of going to the opposite extreme of sugar/chemical-laden processed foods, then I'm all for it.

My plan is to eventually wean myself of some of that stuff and lower my sugar content, but that's down the road...
Cindy

ckatgo
01-06-2007, 12:00 PM
yeah, I am taking baby steps as well. I done the years and years of punishing diets and I am sick of it. so, i just cut out the sugar for a month and will go from there....(not eating crap mind you, just no sugar...make sense?)

underneathitall
01-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Hello, fellow You:followers! I'm really excited to start this program next week. I've been in bed with a wicked sinus infection today, but as soon as I can, I'm going to go grocery shopping (hopefully Monday).

So far, I've found a few really good ideas for quick and easy lunches at work. Are there any other favorites that you might have? One person mentioned a WW tortilla with Laughing Cow, turkey and spinach. This kind of meal is right up my alley - quick to put together and doesn't require me to bring 50 Tupperware containers a day to work.

Thanks for any ideas!

jourdain
01-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Hello, fellow You:followers! I'm really excited to start this program next week. I've been in bed with a wicked sinus infection today, but as soon as I can, I'm going to go grocery shopping (hopefully Monday).

So far, I've found a few really good ideas for quick and easy lunches at work. Are there any other favorites that you might have? One person mentioned a WW tortilla with Laughing Cow, turkey and spinach. This kind of meal is right up my alley - quick to put together and doesn't require me to bring 50 Tupperware containers a day to work.

Thanks for any ideas!

Ok,

I just had this today and I thought it was delish!

Toasted Pepperidge Farms 9 grain bread with Grey Poupon on one side, Laughing Cow French onion on the other, and lean roast beef in the middle, with a few onions thrown in. I also had baby carrots with some roasted garlic hummus.

YUM!

jourdain
01-06-2007, 10:41 PM

You know, the more I thought about this.... the book says you can substitute ANY veggie for any other veggie at any time. It doesn't differentiate between "good" and "bad" veggies.. so go right ahead and keep um.. "pea"-ing :joker: ::drum roll please!::

katec
01-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I took the Real Age test on the website and was a little depressed by my results - I'm about 8 months "older" than reality! There are a few things I have to do to decrease my Real Age, besides losing weight. Flossing my teeth is something I do sporadically (3-4 times a week), but since the new year I've flossed every day. I need to make a doctor's appointment to get readings on BP and cholesterol and triglycerides - I think my results will be quite poor and something to work on. And I am going to try to not talk on my cell while driving! I think it's a bad thing to do anyway, but find myself doing it anyhow, much to my chagrin.

brunissen
01-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi All - This week I'm starting the You On A Diet program (I had dipped my toes in the YOAD water in December and liked it!). I'm trying to lose about 150 pounds. I HAD lost a large part of them about 1.5 years ago, then flung myself off the wagon and gained back about 80 pounds of what I had lost. :mad: :censored: So now I'm struggling to drag my butt back up onto the wagon and I'm hoping YOAD will help me stay there.

Just wanted to say hello.... :wave:

tyme
01-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I started reading you on a diet- and it changed my thinking... I am not up to the part about eating... but I did read the part about needing support and accountability.... so I started looking on line... ya gotta start somewhere. I HAVE to start NOW!!! I have been to the gym 3 days in a row... :carrot:
the part in the book about being afraid to fail before you start really sunk in too.... 70 pounds.... but there is only one way to eat an elephant.... one bite at a time! anyone have any success so far?

BfL_Cat
01-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Good morning everyone! And welcome to those joining us recently!

I went to the grocery store again this weekend - still trying to find a decent brand of ww pasta to use. My DF is a big pasta guy, so we can't really give it up.

Does anyone else find themselves eating a lot of triscuits for snacks? I need to work on less carbs eventually, but for now, triscuits (the triangle ones) with hummus is a great alternative to chips and dip. Found a brand of hummus, Josephs, and they have a cilantro/jalepeno flavor - DF and I love it!

Finally got DF to get a bit excited about finding compliant foods with me - he was actually the one who guessed that pasta sauces jarred by local resturants would most likely not have HFCS in them, and he was right! All of the name brands have way too much sugar in them. Check the local favorites if you've been having trouble finding one.

I still have not done my 20-minute workouts - just the walking part of it. Do you know that i-Tunes has three different workout videos, beginner, intermediate and advanced that you can download for free. You can find them, along with some 5-minute snippets from Dr. Oz, if you follow the link from the RealAge site. The beginning workout is on the Oprah site as well, but you can't download from there.

Well, work is calling, so I best be going. Have a great day everyone!
Cindy

piperboo
01-08-2007, 11:02 AM
You know the more I thought about it too, he does emphasize on natural foods - so I am going to continue "pea"ing LOL
I have been experimenting with different shakes in the morning. I have been mixing one up each morning for the hubby, then make one later for myself, so I experiment with mine then make it for him. I make these all on my Bullet Blender (perfect size) Here are a few I came up with:

Shake # 1:
Medium Banana
1/3 Ice
Handful of Frozen Blueberries
1 Tbsp Soy Protein
Cover with Vanilla Soy Milk

Shake # 2
Handful of Frozen Blue Berries
1 Container of Activa Strawberry Yogurt
A couple cubes of ice
1 Tbsp of Soy Protein
Cover with Vanilla Soy Milk
2 Tbsp of Pineapple
A few Walnuts

I have interchanged ingredients between the two. I slip the walnuts in on the hubby - he likes them, he just will never eat them by themselves. Same with yogurt - he doesn't like yogurt, but when I blend it in you can't tell.

I also made a soup that turned out really good last night. Here's the recipe for that:

3 Cans of Black Beans drained ( One I Blended up before adding to make soup thicker)
Two Cans of Light Red Kidney Beans (drained)
One Medium can of Tomato Sauce
One can of Chicken Broth
Two bunches of Celery Hearts - I shredded these in the food processor (really fine - (DH doesn't like vegetables - he didn't even notice)
Sprinkled the top with garlic salt.

I simmered it for about an hour. It turned out yummy!

piperboo
01-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Also, Dr. Oz is going to be on Oprah today.

rincaro
01-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Well crud. I missed it.

After week one of the YOU diet, I lost a grand total of a inch and a half of waist and 2 pounds. Need to measure dh's waist tonight, but he lost ten pounds! Danged men.

piperboo
01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Congrats Rincaro! That's an awesome job :)
DO any of you have problems measuring your waist? I have a natural roll that lies about an inch above my belly button line so i have a hard time measuring because the tape measure slips up. Any ideas besides taping it down? I seem to get different measurements each time because I can't seem to keep it in the right place.

MelodyAM75
01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi Everyone. I have been following the YOAD plan since Jan. 1 with wonderful results. I love the plan and it is working for me (and my husband, too!)

Here's my Week 1 Results...

1/1/07 Weight - 234.6
1/7/07 Weight - 229.8 (lost 4.8 pounds)

1/1/07 Waist Measurement - 43
1/7/07 Waist Measurement - 41.5 (lost 1.5 inches)

What I did...
*Walked 30 minutes every day (about 1.2 miles each day)
*Alternated upper and lower body workout everyday (about 30 minutes each day)
*Ate 3 meals and 2 snacks which were low in fat and sugar

Melody

Giggles123
01-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I think I was posting on the wrong board. I thought there was not anyone posting for You on a diet daily. I had right acl surgery on 12/26 so of course I can not do the walking yet. I have been doing my therapy I started last week and I get a good sweat up. :carrot: I am working on doing a lot of leg lifts. I have not been eating totally correct 100% of the time, but I am trying. I have to rely on other people to fix me meals and go to the store for me. I want to go full pledge next week with the diet. I will be able to get around at the store myself. I am doing more and more things around the house in stages. I am trying to keep my spirits up, because I want to get back on my feet like yesterday LOL! I am 35 years old and the mother of 3. My children are 9,11, and 18. My oldest I have been raising since she was 5 she came with my marriage package. She will graduate high school this year.

I wanted to let you guys know I saw the show with the Dr Oz telling about his book. I heard him tell Oprah it was okay to drink 100% fruit juice. Did anyone remember him saying that? I also saw him on Oprah today. He is a very educating doctor. He always tells you how things are in easy terms and not big words. I tried the steel cut oats and I am not fond of the little bitty grains. I do love to eat the whole grain oats by the Red mills company. I wonder if it makes a lot of difference if I choose to eat the whole grain instead of the steel oats? :?:

I am going to settle in for the evening.

piperboo
01-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Ok. I am a big nerd. Dr. Oz is coming to my local Wal-Mart to do book signings January 19th. I think I am going to go! I have been so excited since I saw the sign last night!

BfL_Cat
01-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Good morning ladies! Hope everyone is doing well. I'm feeling pretty good about this program - then again, I'm still on my workout endorphin high right now, so it's easy to say that!

I did hear the part about fruit juice - I believe that fruit juice IS allowed, however, as it is calorie dense and already a little processed, your body may react badly to it in terms of hunger. I personally allow myself OJ on Sunday mornings, with breakfast, but that's it. This is just what I like about this plan - there is lots of flexibility, and you can tailor it to your needs and preferences. You may not lose as fast if you are drinking OJ everyday, but if that keeps you on plan, then that's ok. And if that's not ok with you, then stop drinking juice!

DF has lost 1.5" on his waist already - this is just day 9 for us. I'm only at about 0.75". But, it's still good progress for just a little over a week. I've not been doing all my exercise yet, so I shouldn't complain!

Still working on finding the perfect WW pasta - please do let me know the brands you all have found and liked, if you wouldn't mind.

Gotta get back to work - have a great day!
Cindy

BfL_Cat
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Hey gang, question for you all: Have you been experiencing any sort of physical issues since starting this plan? I have, and I'm wondering if it's just me.

First there is the fiber issue - obviously makes your digestive system kick into high gear.... if you know what I mean. That I expected.

Then there is my sleep. I've been having trouble getting to sleep, and if not, then trouble staying asleep. Do you think digesting could cause this? I do tend to eat within 1-1.5 hours of bedtime - usually a bowl of higher fiber cereal, but I have done that for a while, so it's not just the cereal.

Lastly my face is breaking out horribly. Now, I often get this issue when starting an exercise program, but it's usually only 1-2 every couple of days, mainly cause by sweat. This is different - anywhere from 3-5 new ones a day! Frankly I'm running out of cover stick!

None of these are show-stoppers for me, as I'm sure they will subside as my body adapts, but I was just more curious if I was alone in this.
Cindy

QuilterInVA
01-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Fiber has to be increased slowly or you will have digestive issues. You should not be eating before bed at least 3 hours. As for acne, is there any foods that do it to you?

katec
01-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Things still chugging along here. I started tracking my eating and exercising
online (I can't link to the site here - how strange!) and I can feel myself getting into diet mode, which is good. Unfortunately I did have a run in with some mashed potatoes and some chocolate cream pie today, but I kept the portions smallish and I don't feel badly about it. My waist is now at 43.5.

Giggles123
01-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Kate,

Congrats on the 1.5 inch loss. Keep up the good work and don't give up on the bad days.

Later,
Tonya :)

Paintedlady
01-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new and glad to find this group. I bought YOU about 2 weeks ago and have been reading it and implementing different ideas from it. I love the common sense approach of eating natural and whole foods.

So far I've cut out all white, processed, refined flours (except for that super tempting and oh-so-yummy garlic bread last Sunday after church) and sugars. I've cut out almost all butter.

I've been doing either fruit smoothies in the morning with the psyllium husks added or else having a couple eggs, turkey bacon and one piece of whole wheat toast with a smidge of raw honey. Very satisfying. I've also been eating more salad and trying to add lots of the dark colored veggies in.

Oooh, the other thing I love that the book recommends is the raw nuts. I'm in love with almonds so that was easy. I just have to make sure I don't go crazy eating them yk? Just a small handfull--maybe 6-8.

I've also been hitting the treadmill, anywhere between 40 minutes and a hour, six days a week, along with weight training. Unfortunately, no weight loss yet, but I've set my goal for 4 weeks as to not get discouraged. I figure by 4 weeks I should be seeing some serious changes.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I'm just so thrilled to have a found a "home" and people to talk to about all of this.

BfL_Cat
01-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Welcome to our group, Carrie! Glad you found us! Sounds like you've been making some great changes since you've started.

Quilter - yes, I know I should not be eating 3 hours before bedtime, but thats an item I'm still working on - I really struggle with no eating after 7pm, especially since that's often when I finally get to sit down to dinner! But, as that's not something that is new to my routine, I do not think that's to blame for the sleeplessness.

Interestingly enough, a co-worker suggested that maybe I'm not able to sleep because I don't need to - that perhaps this way of eating is giving me so much extra energy that I don't need so much sleep any more? I guess that is the positive spin on this! I'll have to see what happens over the next few weeks. Maybe I'll become a person who only needs 5-6 hours of sleep a night, instead of 8-9?

Wanted to share that I tried some organic ketchup yesterday. I just can't eat meatloaf w/o ketchup, and so I broke down and spent $4 on a bottle! It was actually good, but I think when this one is gone (which will take a while), I may try to just make my own. The ingredients on the bottle seem straight forward enough: water, tomato paste, sugar, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, onion powder, allspice and ground cloves. Should be easy enough to come up with a recipe based on that, right? So, there's my tip for you today - if you want ketchup, try making it!

Also found out that my low-fat and no-fat mayo (miracle whip), are loaded with HFCS. Guess we'll be phasing that out!

Hope you all have a great day - keep up the good work!
Cindy

Paintedlady
01-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the welcome Cindy! It's interesting, this plan just makes so much sense to me. There are no real "rules" to follow, it's just common sense eating what your body really needs. I love it!

Redheadswife
01-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone. I have been seeing Dr. Oz on Oprah, and it makes so much sense. I just bought the book last night and have really been enjoying it. I came on here to see if anyone else was reading it, and I was so happy to find this. Can I join in?

Tammy

MelodyAM75
01-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Week 2 Results
Week 2 Results
Here's my Week 2 Results...

1/1/07 Weight - 234.6
1/7/07 Weight - 229.8 (lost 4.8 pounds)
1/14/08 Weight - 224.6 (lost 5.2 this week and lost 10 total since 1/1/07)
TOTAL LOST SINCE LAST JANUARY 1, 2006 is 41.4 pounds

1/1/07 Waist Measurement - 43
1/7/07 Waist Measurement - 41.5 (lost 1.5 inches)
1/14/07 Waist Measurement - 39.5 (lost 1 inch this week, 2.5 inches total)

What I did this week...
*Walked 30 minutes every day (about 1.2 miles each day)
*Alternated upper and lower body workout everyday (about 30 minutes each day)
*Ate 3 meals and 2 snacks which were low in fat and sugar

katec
01-14-2007, 03:22 PM
So great, Melody!!

There was a bit on YOU on 20/20 on Friday - if you go here (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/), and click on "Diet Secrets", you can see some of the report.

Giggles123
01-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Great job Melody! I bet you are really excited. :D

lovethatsara
01-14-2007, 09:16 PM
I just bought this book yesterday because I watched it on 20/20 with my fiance. so far the book is pretty funny and interesting.

Eating Thin
01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Congratulations, Melody!
Your success has inspired me to get back on the program. It was just the thing I needed to hear today.
Thank you.

Think Thin Be Thin
01-15-2007, 06:22 PM
I bought the book after the new year and was excited to try a diet that seemed easy to follow... no counting points or ounces, something I could do. I skipped right to the diet and started that the next day. I am now going through the book to read what else they have to say and I like it so far. My first week I lost 5 pounds (which I contribute to water weight, but it still looks good on the scale!). I have never felt hungry and I find shopping and planning out meals to be much easier. I hope this diet is what I need to make a change in my lifestyle for good.

kristanc
01-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey everbody-

Just checking in. I started the eating plan on Saturday. And have walked 30 min each day since Saturday! Should be finished reading the book tonight!

BfL_Cat
01-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Hello everyone! Happy new week. I didn't work yesterday, so it's "monday" for me today.

Yesterday was the end of my 2nd full week following YOU:. I should mention that I've been walking, but not doing the upper and lower body workouts. My fiance has been doing it as well.

My weight dropped 5#, but that's mostly water weight. My waist is down 1#
DF has lost 7# and 2" (!) on his waist.

I know I need to do some more intense cardio and workouts before I'll get the scale to budge, but I'm pretty happy about the 1" off my waist!
Cindy

Giggles123
01-16-2007, 02:23 PM
I started the diet full pledge on Sunday. My husband started with me and the kids are complaining some. I made turkey burgers last night with turkey bacon and they loved them. I have been so full after breakfast I had to make myself eat lunch today. I woke up this morning much better than I do when I am eating so many bad foods. My husband stated he would do this but Friday would be his day. The only real exercise I get right know is physical therapy 3 days a week since I am recovering an acl surgery. I am doing a few chores around the house. I kind of over did on Saturday eating out and doing my shopping to get started for better way of eating. It took me two hours almost at the grocery store. I was reading labels and trying to make the best choices.

Congrats on the inch and weight loss! I hope next week I will have some kind of results. Welcome to the newest members.

What type of butter are you guys using if any? I bought I can not believe its butter as I usually do. I have tried the smart blend before and it is kind of oily to me.

BfL_Cat
01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Smart Balance and Earth Balance are the ones I've seen that are ok for YOU: I love ICBINB myself, but there is some partially hydrogenated oil in there, which we are supposed to avoid.
Cindy

Giggles123
01-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice. I will try the smart balance again. I am like you on loving ICBINB. I have not seen the earth balance before.

Take care!

Janis427
01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Hello to all,
I am new to this forum, but not new to trying to lose weight. I have been reading the YOU book and I really like it. Well, I must be serious this time because I just went shopping for some items on the list and I just had a Boco Burger on a sproted grain engish muffin with tomato and Smart Balance mayo. It was pretty darn good. AND I am full.
I do have some questions though, I was wondering how come nothing of ff cottage cheese is mentioned at all and if anybody found bread or english muffins without the HFCS. Today I bought some ones that are made with bean sports and soy and other stuff, but no bad stuff in them. I would rather find something a little english muffity, if you know what I mean.

Thanks, Agility-nut
256/250/170

BfL_Cat
01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Both my bread and english muffins have HFCS in them. But, it is not in the first 5 ingredients listed, the fiber content is 3g or higher per serving, and the sugar content is less than 4g per serving. I'm pretty sure that is the criteria it should meet.

My bread is Arnold's Natural 100% Whole Wheat, and my english muffins are Thomas' 100% whole wheat.

Now why didn't I think to check out Smart Balance mayo? Oh, and there is SB natural peanut butter too. DF snuck in some Skippy's natural - I didn't catch that the second ingredient was sugar, but since the grams of sugar per serving was low, I let him keep it.

I actually liked my store brand (Hannaford) ww pasta - I was pleasantly surprised. And DF ate it without complaining, so that's something too. Nice to find something easily and actually good. But, the spaghetti sauce we tried was not so good, so that search is back on. I'm guessing I will soon be trying to make my own! Does anyone have a brand they like that fits into this lifestyle?

I did my 2 miles on an elliptical today - didn't hold onto the rails, so it was sort of like jogging. Only took 24 minutes, but I think that was a much more intense workout than the 30 minutes of walking. My heart rate was definitely higher!
Cindy

Giggles123
01-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Wow Cindy the eliptical is an excellent workout. The gym I used to go to had the ones, where you hold on to the two handles and worked your arms at the same time. I remember when I first started using it I could only do a few minutes at a time and work my way up to 30 minutes. I am jealous I want to work out so bad, but have to wait on my knee to recover.

Janis, I wanted to welcome you to the board. I have not looked for english muffins yet, but that is next on my list along with organic yogurt at Costco. I need to also find the aguave nectar. I guess I will have to go to the health food store for that one.

lovethatsara
01-17-2007, 10:20 PM
So far the book is really good. Yesterday I was reading about the fat that hangs off your stomache, and I viewed the picture and I was like oh god... i did that to my body. I just finished right now the domino effect to your arteries, I just bought this on Sunday and I just love it.

Butterfly50
01-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Hello I have this book and I have been reading it I now jest got to the actual plan. Will have to finsh.

rincaro
01-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Yesterday a bunch of YOU programs were running on DHC. Which was awesome, because I needed a boost of encouragement. I've only lost 3 pounds since the 1st of the year, but crazily enough, I've lost 2.5 inches off my waist! The man has lost over 15 pounds - and I'm not sure how many waist inches. I need to measure him this morning.

I need to plan out my menus for this week. I've been neglecting to take lunch to school for myself. So between my classes I end up getting something bad for me from the vending. Must fix that this week!

Welp, my doggie is whining, sounds like it's time for our 30 minute walk. Everyone have a great day and a great week on the YOU program!

Giggles123
01-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Today has been one week since I started eating properly. I have to say I did very well except yesterday at lunch I had a few fried shrimp and one Red Lobster biscuit. For the very first time I could not eat all of my Red Lobster meal. I had to give most of my shrimp scampi to my daughter. I usually will fight you for my shrimp scampi. I have to say I am not very hungry throughout the day except for my first meal. I also have tried Vanilla soy milk and it was delicious. I am one to not like regular milk. I found this new product called Nature life cycle in the organic food section. I did not reconize anything bad in the ingredients of the box. It has cereal bars, trail mix bar, and flavored oatmeals. There were more products, but that is all I bought. I have only tried the cereal bars and they were excellent. I am proud to say I am down 4lbs today. I hope everyone has a great week eating healthy.

lovethatsara
01-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Well today is my first day! :) I finished the book last night, It was a really good book. Yesterday I went to farmer's market and got a whole bunch of fruits and vegetables, then went grocery shopping since on wednesday I through out all of the bad foods in my house. Today I went to two different Natural food stores, at the last one I finally found walnuts! I couldn't believe I couldn't find any. They were 9.29 a lb ouch. but at least I have them. I am not letting anyone get into that. Tonight I'm making my DF spegetti and I'll be making myself whole wheat pasta with organic tomato sauce and some fruit for desert. I'm actually excited. Last night I had for the first time tasted whole wheat tortillas. It was different but it didn't taste half bad.

How is everyone doing?

hildegirl
01-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I have read this book and have tried this plan for one week now; I love the foods and wish they had included more recipes. I am not going to weigh or measure until a week from now, but I 'feel' as though I'm losing some. though exercise is not what I enjoy I have 'forced' myself to walk the treadmill five out of seven days now..30 minutes...and I've noticed walking up stairs is a tad bit easier. I'm hopeful...my goal is to lose twenty five pounds over all.

Janis427
01-22-2007, 07:08 AM
I am still reading this book and have been on the YOU food program for about a week and I just kove it! The book is fantastic. I am reading all the scientific stuff and it will actully scare you into losing weight. I dont know if I will ever eat anything other than whole or real food again. I do have so much more energy now too! I hope everyone has a good day.

BfL_Cat
01-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Hello everyone! Glad to hear you are all doing so well and feeling great on this program.

Today is the end of week 3 for me, so I'll be weighing and measuring tomorrow. DF is doing this with me, and you can actually SEE the difference in his stomach! Don't 'cha just hate how easily men can lose?

I was thinking today that one great thing about this program is that I'm not really hungy that ofen. All of those whole grains really help to keep me satisified, as well as the lack of simple carbs and HFCS doesn't have me craving!

Has anyone had any luck finding a whole wheat pizza crust? He mentions they are available, but doesn't give a brand name. I'm thinking something like Boboli, but whole wheat. DF is really missing pizza, so it would be nice to be able to make something for him.

I have Hungarian goulash on the menu for this week, so I bought ww "egg" noodles yesterday. It will be interesting to see what they are like.

I've finally picked up on my exercise, as of last Thursday, so I'm hoping to see some better results than I have before.

Have a great day!
Cindy

BfL_Cat
01-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Good morning everyone!

I just wanted to share that I'm really loving my breakfast that I've decided on. Every Sunday I make a pot of steel cut oats - enough for 5-6 servings. I put about 2T. of cinnamon into them at the end of the cooking time, as well as 2 oz. of chopped walnuts.

Then I divide up into individual plastic containers - about 1 cup oats each. Each morning I chop up 1/2 an apple and throw it into the container, then microwave for 2 minutes. I then add some skim milk, 1/2 scoop protein powder and some Splenda. Stir and eat - yum! Incredibly filling - holds me at least 3 hours!

Weekends I usually have scrambled egg whites or maybe whole grain buckwheat pancakes.

Has anyone else found any breakfasts that they really like?
Cindy

Redheadswife
01-23-2007, 09:54 AM
I've been doing oatmeal every morning too. I'm loving it! I'm still using the box of old fashioned that I had. I just bought a can of the steel cut ones, but I haven't cooked them yet. Is it very different in taste? My husband is eating it too, but not enjoying it very much!

I love your idea of cooking a lot and dividing it. I've also read somewhere on here about doing a big batch in the crockpot, but I haven't tried it yet. If I do, I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Tammy

Janis427
01-23-2007, 12:09 PM
I also am doing to oatmeal for breakfast. I really like it because it holds me till noon. I am so glad I cut out so many foods that I thought were good for me. With the junk out of my system, I have never felt better. So much energy and no cravings for any bad foods. AND never hungry!

Giggles123
01-23-2007, 12:10 PM
I like whole grain oats with bananas or cinnamon. It keeps me feeling very full. I just don't like the texture of the steel cut oats. I also have found these organic cereal bars that I will eat along with a banana. I am going back to the oatmeal, because the cereal bar does not give me the full feeling for very long.

I got on the treadmill for the first time yesterday for about 5 min. :carrot: My therapy is coming along. I just can't wait to exercise like everyone else. I hope this will be my last leg injury.

Have you guys tried turkey burgers yet? I mixed mine with lipton onion soup mix with cavender (greek seasoning) on the top, and olive oil in the skillet. My kids loved it. I like the Honeysuckle brand the best. They were very filling.

Have a great day!

tatt
01-23-2007, 04:58 PM
8 lbs and 3 " off the waist. I don't think it's too much water as I take lasix once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and have been for over a year. At least I hope its not !! I have to admit I'm following the food plan only about 80 %, kind of like the ICINB Lt, but I'm reading more closely so hopefully that will get better !:carrot: THat 30 min treadmill DOES make a huge difference. Found that out working 2 14 hour days, I dont care what the Doc says, if I wanted to sleep there just wasn't any time, but I'm back on it now

Janis427
01-23-2007, 07:23 PM
I was wondering if anybody else was having trouble getting all thier calories in for the day. I am supposed to be getting 1700 cal. in aday and I just cant do it. I have been hitting around 1200 cal. I am eating every meal and snack. If I was eating like I was before I read the YOU book, it would of been easy to get 1700 calaries in. There just isnt any calories in good for you foods.

katec
01-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Everyone is doing so well! I think the key is that sticking as much to the plan as possible really cuts down on cravings. Like tatt, I have been hovering at about 85 - 90 percent on plan - but I'm being very conscious of HFCS, fiber content, sugars, fats, etc. It's really making a difference in how I feel. The only problem is that I tend to eat to alleviate stress, and I'm pretty stressed lately, so I'm now having a hard time sleeping. I'm going to take some benadryl for a few nights to get myself on more of a schedule, because the lack of sleep is killing me.

I have found that I really need to take one day off from working out - I work out pretty hard, and I felt quite sore from strength training. Maybe I'll try to mix it up a bit, not do as much cardio as I have been, but for 7 days.

QuilterInVA
01-24-2007, 09:48 AM
agility-nut, post a copy of a day's menu and maybe we'll be able to help you. Nuts are a good food to add as a snack. Not all food that is good for you is low calorie so we need to get an idea of what you are eating.

yogachick30
01-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Good morning everyone! I purchased the book last weekend and I have made my way through it. It was a good book with a lot of insightful points...

As for the oatmeal, I purchase steel cut oats in bulk at either Whole Foods or Wild Oats market. It is soooo much cheaper if you buy it that way verse in a package.

What I do is bring 8cups of water in a big pot to a boil and add 4 cups dry s.c oats. Allow to simmer for at least 30min to 50min. You will need to keep an eye on it and stir somewhat often so the oats don't stick to the bottom of the pot. You may also need to add additional water. Once it is to the texture and consistancy that you like, allow to cool slightly and transfer into a large container. Place in fridge. It keeps very well.

Each morning I scoop out 1/3c (with the measuring cup) of the cooked oats, and mix with it 1/3c egg beaters. You can also add a little water or milk. Add some splenda, cinnamon, and whatever fruits sound good. Nuke for about 3min and enjoy! I have found that the extra protein from the egg beaters tends to keep me full longer. I don't have a mid morning snack until about 10:45 or 11 (which is 1 piece of fruit). I hope you find this to be helpful!!!

BfL_Cat
01-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Good morning ladies!

Kate -was reading your blog and wanted to share that I've found a better probiotic yogurt - Breyer's Lite. An 8oz. container has 110 calories, 1.5g fat and 8-10 grams of sugar, depending on the flavor. It contains Nutrasweet, so the sugar is from the fruit, so that's ok. There is a bit of an aftertaste, but I'm pretty used to that, so I like it. Steer clear of the lime on though - I thought it was nasty!

Tatt - In terms of adding calories, a snack of whole wheat english muffin with natural peanut butter and possibly natural fruit spread, with a glass of milk, could help. But, I agree with Susan - post your menu and that will help us help you better.

I'm doing well - my appetite seems to have tapered off a bit, which is a good thing - that will help me to stop eating after 8pm, which I am still struggling with. Last night I just had a glass of milk before bed, more out of habit than anything.

I'm bummed because I was rushed at the gym this morning, so didn't weigh myself. Now I have to wait until tomorrow am!
Cindy

soon to be thin
01-24-2007, 11:21 AM
I started on Jan 13 at 260 pounds, and I have lost 3 inches off of my waist, 3 off my hips and 4 off my bust!!! and lost 11.5 pounds. I don't feel hungry and I feel as if I am eating all day long. But it is working so who am I to question it.:carrot:

Janis427
01-24-2007, 12:22 PM
For breakfast: 1cup of oatmeal with 1 scoop of protein powder, cinnamin and 4oz soy milk, LUNCH: Smoothie made with 6oz soymilk, whole bananna, 1 cup strawberries, 1/3 cup bluberries, 1 scoop of protein powder, SNACK apple and almonds. SUPPER: 2 Boco burger, 1 cup of spinish, 1 cup of FF cottage cheese, 8 oz skim milk. SNACK: orange or yogurt.
Breakfast is 350 cal, Lunch is 350 and supper around 300-400. I really cant eat anymore. I cant get a snack in between breakfast and lunch, because I dont eat beakfast untill 8:00am. Do you think I really need 1700 cal a day? I ususally end up with 1200-1250 cal a day.

BfL_Cat
01-24-2007, 12:47 PM
My eating schedule is usually as follows:

Breakfast 8:00am
Snack 10:30am
Lunch 1:00pm
Snack 3:30pm
Dinner 6:00pm
Snack 8:00pm

Eating something at all of these times would definitely help anyone to get more calories in. Start by dividing up what you are currently eating now, and then gradually increase where you can to get your calorie count up if you need to.

Just remember, you don't want to throw your body into "starvation mode", which WILL happen eventually if you are eating too few calories. This is typically what causes people to plateau, and then gain back quickly once they become discouraged by this.

To be honest I skimmed some of the book, so I really need to go back and read what YOU: says about coming up with recommended calorie totals. I lift weights regularly so I know I need to have my calories and protein much higher in order to build muscle - otherwise I'm always starving!
Cindy

tatt
01-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Bfl Cat is right ! ! YOu don't realize the problems restricting your calories can cause. I've gotten some light string cheese, and try to keep that and some shaved turkey on hand for am snacks, and the WW english muffin with some type of spread can help kick you up there. I eat breakfast at 0430 so the snack thing isn't really a problem, its those lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng evenings that kill me. I try to do my workout in the pm to counter the 'hunger' voice in my head.

Janis427
01-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Believe me I am not restricting my calories. I am eating as much as I can. Maybe I will have to buy some peanut butter. I have been holding off on that, because I just love it and it could get me into trouble. I still cant believe how much you can eat when you are eating the right stuff. I Love it!

KnCmamma
01-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Question....I don't have the book yet(am going to be getting it though), but I was wondering what kind of meats can you have? I saw the "You: Owner's Manual" on DHC lastnight and it said to stay away from meat from 4 legged animals...so I got thinking is all your allowed to have is Chicken, Turkey and fish?

QuilterInVA
01-25-2007, 10:05 AM
You can have meat from 4-legged animals but not daily or several times a week. It just isn't good for anyone. Poultry, Fish, meat substitutes, beans are far healthier and lower in fat and calories.

Janis427
01-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Super-mom, After you read the whole book, you are not going to want meat from 4 legged animals. The book is great. At first I just skimmed it, but after when I sat down and read the whole book, you wil change your eating habits, believe me. You will love how you feel in just a week after following the books recommedations.

tatt
01-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Can anyone help me with calorie content of clementines ? I'm hooked on them, but think I probably need to find out what the value is when planning my meals. I can't find them anywhere !
:?:

cbmare
01-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Does anyone know when he's going to be back on TV? I went to Discovery Health and found stuff about him. However, their TV listings don't show him as being on anytime soon. I don't think he's going to be back on Oprah either.

TIA

Janis427
01-26-2007, 07:16 AM
I found it Calorie-king. Clementines (2.6oz) is 35 cal., .1- fat, 8.9 carbs, 1.3 fiber, 6.8 sugars, .6 protien

RocknRoll
01-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey guys!

I have been on South Beach for a month as of today and i was wondering if any of you mixed the YOU plan with SB? I think on south beach, cool whip is hurting me and other small items are as well. If you do split the two plans what rule are you guys sticking to?

Thanks!

BfL_Cat
01-26-2007, 10:01 PM
You could apply the food limitations to SB - checking the ingredients for the 5 baddies. Cutting HFCS would mean the elimation of cool whip.

But, YOU: allows many more carbs - whole grain products, potatoes, ... than SB, so the plans are very different. I'm not sure you could really do both at the same time.
Cindy

RocknRoll
01-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Yah, thats a good idea. The 'baddies' as you call them like HFCS are actually in a lot of things that i eat and i know they are bad for me!

I'll go find a list of the banned ingredients for YOU and apply them to SB thanks :)

QuilterInVA
01-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Actually, week three and after on SB are very like YOU and don't limit carbs like the first 2 weeks which are intended to kill sweet cravings.

Kyrie
02-23-2007, 02:03 PM
So I totally missed the support thread #4 - just posted most of this there - next time I will look a little harder

Sweetie, I don't see any whole grains here other than your oatmeal. Adding more whole grains will definitely add to your calorie count! Just a thought...

...and hello all. I've had the book since I saw Dr. Oz on Oprah. I read it and immediately put the whole family on a healthier diet. We fell away from it slowly and haven't walked in probably FOREVER. Yesterday, my daughter asked if I remembered cooking more "Italian tomato food" and told me that she missed it. Guess that says it all. Time to go back to the book and remind myself of why we ate "Italian tomato food" so often.

For those of you who haven't found a good tasting, yet still good FOR you pasta sauce, I've come up with one on my own.

Yummy Marinara

2 cans Diced Tomatoes - Ingredients: tomatoes, tomatoe juice, salt, calcium chloride, citric acid
1 can Tomate Paste - Ingredients: tomatoes (who would have guessed?)
1 brown onion - chopped
1 TBSP Exta Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic - sliced, smashed or however you want to get it in there
Italian seasoning - mine's from Costco and does the job nicely
1/2 TBSP sugar - can be left out or substitued with Splenda - depends on my mood

Directions:

I put all ingredients into a medium plastic bowl and use my hand shake blender to grind, smash, mutilate it to the right consistency. I suppose you could put it in a blender or food processor. The kids like it chunky, the hubby hates tomatoes, so no chunks for him. Cook over medium heat til warm.

We've tried all of the whole wheat pastas that we could find. My suggestion - keep shopping til you find the right one for you.

Good luck!!

Kyrie