Support Groups - Slimming Singles

View Full Version : Slimming Singles

applecake
12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
:) Hi, I'm wondering if singletons/people who live alone want to join in on a thread? Our lifestyle and eating patterns are different than people who live with partners, children or roommates. Any thoughts?:carrot:

nicolen
12-30-2006, 01:46 AM
Sounds like a great plan, applecake.

Count me in! :carrot:

nicole

applecake
12-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Great! So now what do we do?

I have a bad habit of eating in front of the tv when I'm alone, that's one of my pudgy single person issues.

Carla

Tara D
12-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Sounds like a cute group. I agree that things are probably different when you live on your own. I've been at my parents' house since a couple days before Christmas, and I've definitely eaten differently, though I've been able to manage things through calorie counting to avoid gaining holiday weight.

At home...I personally keep no junk food in my house -- one of those things you can do easily when you live on your own! I also have been cooking dinners only in the quantity that I need for the day -- no leftovers to pick at and overeatsince no one is home to catch me! However, being in a house with leftovers the last 1 1/2 weeks has made me wonder if I might actually be able to handle having leftovers around. On the other hand, I do like my food freshly cooked, too!

I think the best thing about trying to eat healthy while living on your own is that you are in complete control of your environment. The hardest thing might be that there is no one around to catch you overstuffing yourself if you choose to have temptations around! Sometimes other people being around seems to be a deterrent to overeating!

pudgemustbudge
12-30-2006, 09:54 PM
I'd like to join in. I have a teenage son, but he's hardly ever around and I am trying to get over the whole feed-my-baby scene -- he's over it, that's for sure! I need to concentrate on the evenings when I'm here by myself, portion control and mind control.

applecake
01-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Great! So what do we do now?

TeresaKM
01-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I think this sounds like a great group. I would like to join. Being alone has its challenges. Dating and being over weight has its challenges, too. I have been waiting for someone to start a singles group.I think there are lots of things to talk about. What do you all do when you are lonely and food is your only friend at home?

spunker
01-01-2007, 09:30 PM
If you all don't mind, I would like to join in :)

I'm 22, single (obviously lol), and live alone.

I, as well, can see a difference in my eating habits when I'm at my parents just visiting and being at my place.

I'm one who eats in front of the tv as well as the computer (neither a good idea).

Anyhow, if you all don't mind :)

RebaR
01-02-2007, 03:19 PM
sounds like my type of group.... :dizzy:

I'm 41 and single... I sometimes have a roommate- my mom.... she works out of town a lot- she's been gone since july and will be home in a couple of weeks- no telling how long... I know... 41 and live with mom... but that's what's working for me... I help her by taking care of the house etc when she's gone....

I too tend to want to eat when alone...it's just so easy when no one is around to see what I'm doing....

dating?? what's that? ;) how I would love to have a date...

as you have said... life is so different when single- foodwise and other wise....

Looking forward to see where this group goes!

Reba

ksk571
01-02-2007, 05:19 PM
I've been a lurker for quite some time, and am just now finding the motivation to begin a healthier lifestyle. I'm not usually that good about posting, but realize that I need a place for accountability. I am 35 and single. I am working 2 jobs, and have been struggling to find the time and energy to cook healthy meals (as opposed to fast food and convenience foods!) Count me in for some accountability!

KCWMU
01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm liking this group too! I'm 24, single, and obviously living on my own. My problem isn't so much snacking while I'm at home (I do my share of that, trust me) but my biggest problem is fast food. I'm a High School teacher, and by the time I get home from school in the afternoon (and that ranges from 3:00-5:00) I'm too exhausted to want to cook dinner, so I tend to just run out to Burger King or Wendy's and grab something quick. Recently I've realized how much money I've been spending on fast food, so I'm trying to use it as a treat for myself now. I know that is kind of random, but every time I lose 5 lbs, I will treat myself to some type of fast food. We'll see how this goes. Also, I have never been much of a left over fan, but I'm trying to cook enough now so I have leftovers, so those nights shen I'm too tired to cook, I just have to warm something up. Now we just need to set up some type of 'challenege' or something for all of us!

~Aubrey

nicolen
01-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Aubrey, I can completely sympathise with getting home too exhausted to cook. I'm often exactly the same after a crappy day at work, and it's really easy just to pick somethig up on the way home...

BTW - I'm Nicole and I'm 33. I'm single and have been for about a year now after a long term relationship turned rather nasty.

For me a lot of the battle is that there's now nobody to basically make me get dinner on the table. If it's been a rough day at work then it's really hard to find the motivation to cook since it's just me. I'm trying to combat that by making extras of some meals and throwing them into containers and into the deep freeze when I'm cleaning up after dinner.

The other major thing tha tI struggle with is snacking in the evenings. I'm sure you know how it is - you're home from work, had dinner and cleaned up and can sit down knowing that everything's done for the day. I have got a habit of rewarding myself for getting to the end of the day by treating myself and I'm trying to break that habit. Obviously having good food choices available at that time is one way to go, but I'd like to try and break the habit completely - I've just finished dinner, so I don't need to eat. A friend has suggested finding something to keep my hands busy, so at the weekend I'm going to dig out all my old craft stuff that I haven't looked at for a while and see what's there. It's worth a try, anyway...

132hereIcome
01-04-2007, 02:19 AM
Sounds like a great group!

I’m a single 29 year old, living with my spoiled cat.

I’m eager to see what topics we come up with

RebaR: I hear you… what is this Dating you speak of?

TeresaKM: When I’m lonely I think about how much I’ve lost, think about what I’m going to eat the next day, grab a glass of water try desperately to avoid the snacky foods, hug my cat, then surf the 3fatchicks forums.

applecake
01-06-2007, 10:38 PM
You all sound like great women! I'm glad this thread is catching on and that I'm not the only single gal on the planet, which it often seems like. ha ha. I just ate too much popcorn with seasoning and now my mouth is sore from the seasoning. Ouch! So it's herbal tea for the rest of the night for me.

Like Aubrey, I'm so tired by the end of the day, I often grab a falafel on the way home instead of waiting to get home and prepare something lighter. Well maybe falafel isn't a terrible choice worth beating myself up over, but I could do better with a little extra effort.

How can we support each other?

judydc
01-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks for starting this thread! I feel out of place (or overpriviledged) sometimes among all the women who identify first as moms. I've been a bachelorette for almost four years now, basically content with it, enjoying the single life and not feeling the need to be with someone. Unless, of course, Prince Charming magically appears on my doorstep...Evening snacking is my biggest challenge, and not using food for comfort when I'm stressed or angry. Also, I travel a lot, and sometimes I abandon my eating and exercise agenda without much of a fight.

One way to support each other is to focus on what we most want to do better or differently this week or this month, and share our wins and challenges with each other. I expect to have an especially stressful week at work, but I will still need to stick with my program, get to bed early and get up to work out, and not double (or triple :devil: ) up on after-dinner snacks.

judy

applecake
01-09-2007, 06:43 PM
So, any advice on how to convince myself to NOT watch tv while I eat? When I have company I don't eat in front of the tv, we talk. But by myself, it's another story. Tonight I'm going to put on a CD while I eat. Maybe I'll be more thoughtful about chewing without the distraction of the tv.

judydc
01-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi, again--

Here's my list of what I'm supposed to be doing when I feel the urge to munch:

move away form the tube and doing something in another room
brush my teeth
call someone on the phone (it's rude to talk and chew)
have some mint or spicy decaf tea
take a bubble bath (who eats in there?)
look at my food log and my reasons for staying on program
look at the 3FC "success" thread"

I have a llittle paperback book called "How Not to Eat After Dinner." I found that having it on the table between me and the TV is helpful, but I put it away when I had company a while back--I need to pull it out again! Just seeing the cover reminds me that I don't have to just give in to a momentary craving. Also, I bought a "How to Knit" DVD last month, which I hope will help when I'm just feeling fidgetty.

More suggestions from you lurkers out there would be appreciated!

judy

Tamarelle
01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi all - I think this is a great group and I'd like to join. I'm 46 and single and live alone with my two wonderful cats.

I struggle with cooking once I get home from work too. To keep myself from sitting down in front of the TV and snacking on cheese (my big downfall) I find myself not turning the TV on until around 8 and before then I do all my domestic projects around the house. The problem though is that by 8 I'm way too tired to cook or eat anything.

A friend suggested going to one of those places where you prepare a bunch of meals and then freeze them at home, then just take them out of the freezer and cook them up when you're ready. There are a bunch of these places around with a bunch of different names, and I don't konw if I can on this site actually list the one that's near me, but I'm wondering if anyone here has ever done this and how it works. I'm also on WW and wondering if it's easy to figure out the points for these meals.

Tammy

Tamarelle
01-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Oh, the other thing I do to when I don't want to munch is hand quilting.

judydc
01-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Welcome, Tammy! I have a problem that's related to yours, in that I generally don't get home from work until 7:30 or later, and I want to get better at not eating at all after 8 or 8:30. I like to cook, sometimes on Sundays I'll prepare something big--a pork loin, a roasted chicken, a big batch of soup, etc.--and freeze most of it in smaller portions. So last night I took out some of the yummy chicken-veggie stew I made weekend before last, and all I have to do is nuke it up when I get home tonight. I bought a crockpot this fall, and it's been fun trying new recipes. And when I get home from work, my apartment smells wonderful...

I have been on program this week, with food and working out. But I saw the nutritionist yesterday, who pointed out that a couple of the substitutions I've made for evening snacks, like rice cakes and low-fat popcorn, are highly glycemic and add to my craving for even more food. Oops! My goals this week are to be more thoughtful about my choices, remember to meditate or do yoga every day, and log my food for at least five days in a row (starting today).

How about the rest of you? What would make this a successful week for you?

jduy

Tamarelle
01-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and the info. I had no idea that popcorn could make you crave more food...I don't think I'll be buying any more popcorn.

I bought a crockpot recently too and it is wonderful to come home and smell dinner and know that it's just waiting for me. My only difficulty is remembering to buy all the ingredients to make the dish and then actually do it. That's what I'm working on right now; making better food choices and actually buying the good food at the grocery store so I will have it to eat when I'm home. I find myself thinking about good food choices all the time, but then not actually doing anything about it, and then wonder why I don't have anything good to eat in the house. :dizzy: The other minor struggle right now is that it is snowing up here and a lot of times that also means power outages, which brings with it a whole new set of eating situations. But, for now, it's only snowing and we have power so I'm not going to stress about it.

applecake
01-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Hey hey! Thanks for the suggestions! Actually I meant that I eat my supper while watching tv, it's a baaaaad habit. I'm slowly breaking it.

I often knit while I watch tv, and that keeps me from snacking because I don't want to get the yarn dirty. Like Tamarelle with quilting, and Judydc is learning to knit!

judydc
01-11-2007, 02:26 PM
The long weekend is almost here, yaay! This has been a difficult week at work, my brain has been buzzing like a beehive.

Applecake, I have a large combined living room/dining room. It's important for me only to eat when I'm sitting at the table in the dining "room." Usually if I'm eating in my comfy chair, I'm snacking, so I've told myself not to do more than drink water or tea when I sit there. I wish my kitchen had a door, so I could also give myself a visual cue that "the kitchen is closed."

Tammy, don't abandon popcorn on my account! Grains can set me off on a munching binge (I could eat cereal for hours) and apparently so can rice and corn. A couple of extra rice cakes aren't many calories but can be a lot of carbs, which make me want even more carbs...so that's just me, that might not be your issue! I am sensitive to gluten (no wheat for me :( ) but the doctor told me I can have oatmeal now, yippee! Even so, I have to eat it when I'm on my way out the door, so I don't start rummaging around like a possum for more carbs.

I did 40 minutes of cardio this morning, and will go to Curves this evening. I'm eating on program today. The chilly weather's making me feel a little sluggish. I wish I'd brought a bowl of stew or chili for lunch today instead of a salad with tuna!

judy

AuthorBunni
01-11-2007, 02:30 PM
I am new here and it sounds great to me too!

Thanks-
AB

Tara D
01-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Maybe there's something wrong with me (hee, hee), but I actually like to watch TV during dinner! I actually sometimes plan the time that I cook so that I'll be done when the news or another show I want to watch starts!!!

I don't eat at all after dinner, and I usually eat it between 5:30 and 6:30. I go to bed around 11:30 or so. I've learned that it was a habit. If I eat a dinner with protein and a good enough quantity, I have no need to eat again. It's probably been 7 or 8 months since I've eaten something after dinner, and I find that I feel better when I lie down to go to sleep. Also, after all this time, my body just expects it and doesn't feel hungry. I do think it might have required conscious effort in the beginning, though.

RebaR
01-13-2007, 09:53 AM
http://www.charismapros.com/images/sweep.gif

http://www.statcan.ca/english/kits/winner/2002/grade11/images/Image2.gif

Housework... that's on my agenda this morning... I have my bedroom and bathroom to complete... I did the rest last night... such the life... friday night and at home doing housework....

then I wasn't sleepy and ended staying up until almost 2am!! Why in the world am I up now????

After housework today, no particular plans... other than prepare dinner for my sister's birthday- but it won't be hard- steaks, potatoes, salad, rolls.... when I asked mom what I should fix for dessert she said not to worry about it because we don't tend to eat dessert with dinner (I love dessert but like to wait for a bit) I may try to make a sf choc dessert or something- my sister loves choc too....

well, I'm off and running....

how bout you? What's in your plans for today?

I have a 3 day weekend too.... no particular plans....

Reba

Ayanna
01-13-2007, 10:57 AM
l like the idea of this thread. I am thirty and have lived alone for about two years. I share many of the stuggles that were posted above.

I spend a lot of time thinking about food and what i should not eat and that just leads me to want to eat those things more. So i am trying to focus more on the good things I should do. For example i am trying to eat five fruits and veggies a day. This gives me something positive to think about and fit in and when I get all five I have less space to eat other foods that are higher in fat and not so good for my body. Also I find that when I eat breakfast i eat better all day. So now i try to plan out what I need for breakfast all week before I do my shopping. My current ideas for breakfast are low fat yogurt, steal cut irish oatmeal with friut (I hate rolled oats, they are always slimmy when i cook them), half a muffin and a piece of fruit, dry granola and a banana (I do not really drink milk and find dry ceral is better to eat on the run). What sort of things do you all eat for breakfast? Do you eat breakfast?

I am stuggling with eating out to much. I moved about two years ago to from a very small town to a major city. There are so many palces to eat and so much good food. in the country if i wanted something tasty I had to cook it here I can find every thing easily and better than I can make! But like someone already mentioned the cost of eating out adds up on the scale and in my check book. So i am trying to go 21 days without eating out! so far i have made five days. I tend to eat out when I am streesed and days are long at work. i can just pick up somethng on the way home. The fat, sodium and calorie count is often higher than if i made the same thing at home.

My post is getting rather long but I do have one question for the group. Do most of you have support for your wieght loss journey from friends, weight watchers , TOPS or other organized support groups or are you going at it on your own? My main support is here at 3fatchicks. I really enjoy the support on this site from people that are working through some similar issues. I better end here I have to get out of the house between down pours to shop.

Ashley103
01-13-2007, 11:32 AM
I just saw this thread and would like to join the group. There are definitely challenges to living alone and trying to lose weight/eat healthier.

I'm 48 years old, divorced, with grown children who no longer live with me. I'm finding 3FC to be the best support group I've ever had! Friends and family, while supportive initially, their interest naturally soon turns to other things. Everyone on 3FC is engaged and interested in the same things.

I find that the only way to stop myself from overeating at home is to have very limited food in the house. I really wish grocery stores would recognize that there are a lot of 1 or 2 person households and would package food in smaller quantities. I would LOVE to be able to buy just two pieces of bread or just two low-fat ice cream bars. My self-control is still non-existant, so I have to immediately throw away the balance of the ice cream bar box, or else I will eat them all in one evening.

My plan has been to eat small "meals" frequently throughout the day. I always eat breakfast - oatmeal, fruit and whole-grain toast, yugurt, egg whites, etc. I also find that eating some vegetables in the car on my way home stops me from eating so much garbage once I get home.

judydc
01-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Yaay, it's the weekend! Wish I didn't have a long list of tasks and chores to take care of.

Ayanna, this site has been my most consistent support mechanism for the past two years or so. People come and go on it, rarin' to go for a few weeks and then disappearing, but there are enough of us who hang in there so that I feel like I know women I've never met. I have a lot of weight to lose, so this fall I signed up for a weight-loss program that includes a few visits to a doctor (who may have changed my life by ID'ing thyroid and gluten as problems for me) a nurse practitioner, a nutritionist, a psychotherapist and a physical therapist. It was a great investment for me. The program will be over in a few months, but it's given me a holistic way to look at my weight and health that I never got from seeing professionals in a vacuum, so to speak.

Ashley, my freezer is my best friend! I hate tossing extra food, too! I had lots of out-of-town guests last summer, and bought ice cream, soda, etc., for them, and found it almost physically impossible to throw away the left over once they were gone.

Re TV and eating--I tend to watch TV and read the paper while I eat dinner, which is fine. But around 9PM, when I'm sitting in my comfy chair watching HBO or something, I feel "hungry." Which I'm not, usually, it's just a habit. So this week I've been getting up and having a cup of hot mint tea, looking at my eating log, and the "hunger" drifts away. Sticking to fruit and protein or a Zone Perfect bar for "dessert" has helped with the cravings, along with seeing the scale respond so quickly to saying goodbye to the popcorn and rice snacks.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

judy

nicolen
01-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't checked in for a couple of days - RL has been extremely busy, and all I've had time to do is read the new posts.

I'm doing OK, I think. I had my first weigh in of the new year and discovered I'd gained back 6 lbs over Christmas, which gave me the wake up call I needed. I can put some of it down to TOM, but certainly not all of it. I've been saying since Christmas that I'll get back on programme tomorrow, but usual story - tomorrow never came till I hopped on the scales. I've been on programme since Wednesday and the scales should show an improvement this coming week - they'd better, anyway!

Judy, I hate wasting food too, and I have issues finding recipes that serve only one. My freezer is probably the best buy I ever made - I can make up several batches of soup or whatever and on the nights that I don't want to cook, there's something there that I can just chuck in the microwave.

I'm trying to change the habit of eating in the evening - I get everything cleaned up after dinner and sit down and think I need a treat for getting through the day. Last weekend I dug out all my craft stuff that I haven't touched in about 18 months and picked up a cross stitch I was working on. It seems to be that if I keep my hands busy then I don't feel the need to snack and so far it's working. Long may it continue to work...

Take care everyone
Nicole

spunker
01-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Ashley103, I hear you on the packaging food in smaller quantities.

I can either go one of two ways:

1) Binge binge binge. A lot of times when I actually do go (decent) grocery shopping (which isn't very often), I eat majority of the food within the first few days, and the stuff I'm not particularly fond us just sits, never opened.

or

2) I'll have leftovers of something and it'll just sit in my fridge for ages until it crosses my mind that it's no longer any good.

- - - - - -

I don't really have a dinning room - and my table faces the wall (lack of room). I don't have cable, and I don't seem to have the attention span to sit through a movie - but I do eat while watching parts of a movie. Once I'm finished eating, I turn it off; however, I could probably eat through a whole movie.

I want to try and do something a bit different, though I'm not quite sure what though.

I do want to stop eating after 7. My mom did that for awhile, and she said she felt great while doing it, plus dropping a few pounds. The only acception to this will probably be on my school nights (two nights a week). My classes are from 6pm - 8:40pm, and I try to come home even if it's just half an hour - maybe I can squeeze something in then.

So, I'm not quite sure.

judydc
01-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Nicole, I hope the scale registers your new focus this week, and you chase those holiday pounds back to where they came from! You're cross-stitching--I pulled out my new "How to Knit" DVD last night and finally figured out the knit stitch...on to purling...

Hey, Spunker, I'm originally from your neck of the woods (and still in mourning over that awful football game last Monday :cry: ). I bet you can figure out a way to manage your eating on school nights with a late, larger lunch and something small and portable during the break between classes.

I have been lounging around a little more than I'd planned this weekend. I've working out and eating on program and in good spirits. Hope everyone else out there is doing well, too!

judy

spunker
01-14-2007, 08:07 PM
judydc, I don't know much about football... :o I'm assuming Ohio State lost then? Well, I'm assuming it was Ohio State that was playing since I remember going into stores and just being bombarded with OSU stuff.

For school, it's only twice a week, which isn't bad. I tried four nights a week (in addition to working eight hours five days a week) - that absolutely killed me. I only have on class on each night. Each class is 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I honestly need to change my whole way of eating during the week. I really don't eat while at work. I just have random odds and ends. It's difficult for me to eat and work at the same time, and I get distracted with other things during my short half hour lunch (sometimes homework). So I'm used to just eating when I get home. Last semester I wouldn't have an actual meal until around 8pm.

What kind of exercise do you do?

- - - - - -

Tomorrow is my first appointment at Bally's. My mom and I were supposed to go, but we both freaked out in the parking lot and left. It was packed, and plus we weren't feeling too confident about what we were wearing.

So we rescheduled, and we went shopping for clothes to exercise in instead. We both feel a bit better about going tomorrow evening, which we both swore we'd go no matter what.

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend :)

Ashley103
01-14-2007, 09:27 PM
I weighed today and has very happy to see that I'd lost the two pounds I picked up over Christmas, plus two of their friends! Down a total of four pounds. Decided to celebrate by buying a better scale. The LCD was messed up on the one I was using, so only the last digit was displaying. Bought a new one that actually shows all three numbers. :D

I had to laugh at Spunker's departure from Bally's parking lot. I've done that before!:D The gym I go to now suits me very well. It's a family gym, with very little spandex to be seen. Pretty much everyone that goes there wears baggy t-shirts and shorts. Much less intimidating.

Ayanna
01-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Happy Monday everyone! I hope you have a successful day to start off your week.

spunker- My favorite exersize is walking. With the days so short and cold and wet that I have been walking at the gym. I like it most of the time. Like around the holidays when it would be almost empty in the cardio area so i could change the station on the t.v. to something more interesting then football. Now that the new year has rolled around the gym is packed both when i go at 5 a.m. or if I go after work at 6 p.m. It is very hard to stay when all the machines are in use. I go to a very small YMCA that I really like but there were two days last week when i did not go just thinking about all of the people. It was better this weekend because I can go at different hours like mid morning or early afternoon. You could gym staffwhat the busy times are. Most of the gyms I have every gone to (and there are only three) have a surge in Janaury that slows down after a few weeks. Ask gym staff if the level of activity is normal or a Janauary surge. Good Luck!

Ashley103- I try to shop at stores that allow me to select and bag my own produce. That way of I want three snow peas i can get three snow peas. You might try the salad bar to buy small amounts of spinach, mushrooms, and peppers for a stir fry or other dishes when you will only need one serving. With meat and rice I cook a few serving and freeze them. I have to freeze them or i some times have eaten a few days worth in one evening. For example i cooked six boneless skinless chicken breast in the oven with just salt and pepper. I ate one of the chicken breast with my dinner last night and the others I put in small snack bags i put the small snack bags in a quart size freezer bag. i throw all of that in my freezer and plan to have easy meals for the next two weeks out of the checken. I will also cook meat loaf and maybe pasta sauce. Buying the larger pack allowed me to save $$ and freezing the chicken cooked helps me with portion control and creating fast meals after work through out the week.

I have a question for you all, can you share with me any ideas you may have for non-food rewards? I am trying to move towards food for fuel. I enjoy food and i don't think there is anything wrong with that but I need to diversify how i reward myself and how I sooth myself or deal with stress. Any ideas?

applecake
01-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi Ayanna, how about a warm bubble bath for a reward? That's my favourite comfort.
applecake

judydc
01-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Spunker, a Bally's gym in January would be awful crowded....they have that big national marketing campaign on the Discovery Channel this time every year, so probably 2/3 of the cars in the parking lot belonged to nervous folks like you and your mom! I'm glad you're going back. I know you won't be intimidated once you get started--anyone who can tune out football in NE Ohio would have no trouble ignoring strangers at the gym!

Re exercise: I try to get in at least 45 minutes of cardio six days a week, and three circuits (strength training while keeping your heart rate up) at least three days a week. I like doing videos early in the morning, and I go to Curves a couple of times a week. I'll probably move from Curves to a "real" gym this summer. I love to walk, so several days a week I can add 20-40 minutes to my cardio by getting off the subway 2 stops early, etc.

Non-food treats? Does watching the Food Channel count :devil: ? I like to play "Home Spa," call a friend or curl up in a corner with a book and a cup of tea to deal with stress. I have had mixed results with attaching rewards to meeting goals, like a scheduling a massage after losing 15 pounds. But if I lose another 10 lbs or more by the spring, I'll have to shop for clothes--and I love shopping for clothes, so that will definitely be a reward!

judy

applecake
01-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes you'll need new clothes. I've heard 10 pounds is a "dress size" but it might depend on how tall you are.

I'm still clinging to my skinny clothes, hoping to fit back into them before they go out of style.

It's so nice to shed a few pounds and feel a bit of space in the waistbands of my clothes! (Though I haven't lost lately.) Congratulations! Exercising 6X per week, you deserve to feel great!

Ashley103
01-17-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm all about the new clothes. I've been throwing out my fat clothes as I outgrow them, just to force myself not to fall off the program. This is the thinnest I've been in at least 10 years, so I don't have any old "skinny" clothes. I put that in parenthesis because even my "skinny" clothes weren't exactly skinny.

I've also bought a few gadgets as rewards for hitting a goal. My latest was a new scale. Bought a new blender a couple of months ago. I used to buy ice cream as a reward, so I see this as a tremendous improvement.

applecake
01-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Wow Ashley103, you rock! The lightest you've been in 10 years, plus overcoming ice cream urges. Fab.

judydc
01-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Okay, so another thing about being single is that it can be easy to get into an all-work pattern if there's no one prompting you to have a life outside the office. This week I got a taste of what the next several months can be like if I don't really take control of my time and choices. I've been working late, and sleeping into my exercise time...and wanting to much from stress after dinner. I'm already figuring out how much time I can put into work this weekend....arrgh!

Ashley, I think that gadgets are a good reward, especially if they're connected to exercise and health. Although you can put ice cream in your blender for a milkshake :devil: . No, seriously, congratulations on diong so well.

Applecake, I have skinny clothes that I've never worn, since I was "just a few pounds away" from being able to wear them six years ago! I have been ditching everything that is too roomy. At my size, though, a dress size is a lot more than 10 pounds, and right now I have 22s that are tight and 20s that fit me well, so go figure!

judy

Ashley103
01-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Wow Ashley103, you rock! The lightest you've been in 10 years, plus overcoming ice cream urges. Fab.

That is way too much credit. I'm trying to redirect my ice cream urges, but do have lapses fairly frequently. I no longer allow myself to buy a container of ice cream. If I absolutely must have some, I've been getting an ice cream cone from McDonalds. It's 150 calories with 3.5g of fat.

I hear you on the work/life balance issue. With nobody at home to nag at me, I can end up working way too much. Then it becomes tough to get in a workout or even to eat properly. It's a vicious cycle.

Clothes sizes are really funny. I was a thin 130 pounds in high school and wore size 10s. Now I'm a much heavier 185 and wear size 14s. They must have resized the clothes at some point.

judydc
01-19-2007, 06:58 PM
I've read that because women are so vain, sizes are definitely mroe generous than they used to be...and vary widely by the company that makes them.

I hope everyone has a good and healthy weekend--step away from the ice cream!

judy

Ashley103
01-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Sorry I haven't been posting. I've been sick with a wretched cold. My only accomplishment has been moving from the bed to the couch and back again. Hope to be back again within the next day or two.

judydc
01-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Ashley, I hope you're feeling better today!:getwell:

I had a good weekend, not as prodcutive as I hoped, but that's normal. I have been better about not snacking at night, hooray, and thanks to a dual-alarm strategy, I got up early enough this morning for 60 minutes of cardio.

I've been thinking a lot about whatever mental barriers I have that keep me from using all the tools I know when a craving hits...I've pulled out a book that I read a while ago, The Solution, by Laurel Mellin. I like how she breaks down the internal issues without a lot of psychobabble. The book has several writing exercises that I think I will try over the next few weeks.

I'd love to hear if anyone else is doing something similar.

judy

applecake
01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
That book sounds good!

I've somehow convinced myself to have fruit or plain popcorn when I'm feeling nibbly. I try to have good-looking fruit around often so it's easy and enticing.

judydc
01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey, good for you, figuring out how to appease the nervous crunchies! An apple can do it for me, or sliced carrots with hummus. My absolute favorite is combining crunchy, salty and sweet, so I can go crazy on carmel corn or kettle corn. But alas, that lets the wild monkey out of its cage, and sets me on a snacking binge.

I have been pretty much on program and working out this week. I'm out of town Thursday-Saturday, so I want to be as "good" as I can while I'm on my normal schedule.

Hope everyone is feeling good!

judy

Ashley103
01-23-2007, 08:46 PM
The only good thing about this cold is my sense of taste seems to have disappeared so I have no appetite. I'm still not feeling well, and have to leave Thursday morning for a business trip.

I've found my solution to the nibbly munchies is to never feel hungry. I eat small amounts 5 or 6 times a day rather than just eating 1-2 big meals. The part I struggle with is keeping the right food on hand for the small meals. Eating high-calorie food 5-6 times a day is definitely NOT the way to go.

I'll be back next Tuesday. Have a great week and stay "good"!

judydc
01-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Wow, I made it through three tough days without strangling anyone or ordering a pizza, so I think I'm doing well this week :devil: . Although I've been a bit testy, it's helped that I've found some time to work out a little everyday, and I've been eating mostly on program.

Tomorrow I leave town for just a few days. I tend to stay closer to my normal program when I check in at 3FC, so I will try to stop by and say hello every day.

Ashely, I hope you're feeling better and your trip goes well! And I hope that some of you other eager singletons speaks up soon....

judy

RebaR
01-25-2007, 09:42 PM
It's Thursday... one more day and the weekend is here...

how was your day? We had sunshine here... nip in the air but the sun out- that was a blessing. When we mentioned being able to go outside for recess, the kids cheered... we haven't been out all week with the rain. Kelli, the teacher I work with was out today. She's had a sick child and been sick herself this week... when it comes to subs, I end up teaching the class and the sub works with Madison... it's easier because I know the routine, how things are done etc... Madison cried at first this morning... but she settled down to normal!

This evening, Theresa stopped by when she got off work and we went for a walk before she headed home... my tummy is not happy at all with me right now... I sure am ready to find out what's going on...according to the nurse, my HIDA scan was normal from last week... and I sure figured I had gallstones from my system...

It's Thankful Thursday:

I'm thankful for:

the sunshine
laughter of kids
hugs from kids
friends
family

What are you thankful for?

judydc
01-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey, hope you are all doing well this weekend! I haven't been able to be on line for more than a minute until today, but just thinking about checking in on the site has helped me remember my goals while I'm on the road.

Rebar, I missed Thankful Thursday, so now it's Satisfied Saturday. While I'm disappointed that I haven't lost weight at a faster rate these past two years, I'm satisfied that I'm firmly on the path, that I have professional and social support, and that I'm a lot smaller than I was when I started.

colneen
01-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Hello, I am a single person too. I'm 42yrs. old and live alone. I have been posting on the 300+ threads but I have a hard time keeping up with them. There are just sometimes when it is that I don't feel like communicating. I don't know if anyone understands that. But I do find inspiration in other people's story of success no matter how small. Being here does help, Since November I've lost 38lbs. I guess I'm looking for a place where I belong and can relate to the conversation more. I think this thread is a great idea.:)

KCWMU
01-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Whew.... Hi everyone, I'm back from being MIA for the past 3 weeks or so. We just started a new semester at school, so I've been spending way too much time at work getting things ready for my new students, plus I'm taking a class right now toward my masters. (I should be writing a paper right now but I'm posting instead!) I've done MUCH better with not eating out as much lately, but I haven't been excercising either. My weight unfortunately has stayed the same and I'm BEYOND sick of it. One thing that I did do today is I went out and bought a food scale, so I could measure my portions more accurately. (Now I just have to USE it!) I also set up an account on Fitday.com to count my calories. I plan on creating a 'menu' later on today after I'm done with my paper so I don't have to stress about what I'm eating later on in the week. Hopefully everyone is moving towards their goals. I'm trying! And I'm going to start working a bit harder too! My goal this week is to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier so I can get in a short 20 minute workout in in the morning!

Aubrey :dizzy:

judydc
01-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi, Colleen :welcome2: Congratulations on losing so much weight in the past few months, how did you do it?

Aubrey, I hope you spent the rest of the day hard at work on your paper! But if you have to procrastinate, checking in here is probably better than rummaging around in the kitchen for a snack:D .

I got back from NYC late last night. Overall I did okay with eating while I was away, but I didn't work out at all those three days. I was up and out really early every morning, and the days were long and tiring. It felt great to sleep in my own bed last night, and to get up this morning and do an hour of Turbo Jam. I leave again Tuesday morning, for five days in Chicago and Milwaukee. There should be only one day when it will be impossible to work out in the morning or in the evening, and I'm determined to fit in a little sweating. I bought a couple of apples, clementines and ZonePerfect bars to take with me, and I'll pack some Kashi shake mix (and a little plastic bottle) for breakfast.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

judy

applecake
01-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey Judy! Sometimes hotels have a pool or weight room, so bring your exercise clothes. But you might be too busy to make it when they are open.

It's cold here and I want to eat heavy food to keep warm.

judydc
01-29-2007, 12:57 PM
I always pack workout gear if I'm going to be gone longer than one night, but last week's schedule was too crazy. I had a good workout this morning, but my first flight out tomorrow is at 7AM, we won't check into a hotel until after 8PM...but that hotel has a fitness room that I will be visiting most days after that. Most Manhattan hotels (or at least the affordable ones) don't have workout facilities. I usually get my exercise there by walking, but it was brrrr cold last week, we just jumped into cabs or took the subway everywhere.

I want to eat pot roasts and mashed potatoes when the weather is cold like this...

applecake
01-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Since November I've lost 38lbs. I guess I'm looking for a place where I belong and can relate to the conversation more. I think this thread is a great idea.:)

Congratulations!! That's a lot to lose in just a few months! I'm so glad this thread has caught on!

applecake
01-29-2007, 05:26 PM
7am-8pm in transit, what a long day! Manhattan is a great place to eat healthy! I'm vegan and when I'm there I eat so well.

Mashed potatoes...sigh...

judydc
01-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Actually, it's a lot of hurry up and wait! We fly through Chicago for a meeting in Milwaukee, then back to Chicago tonight for a few days of meetings. Right now I'm coolinig my heels for a few hours, wating for the meeting to start. I've been walking around alot, and avoiding the Cinnabons and other fragrant junk foods in the airports. n So far, so good!

judydc
02-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Happy New Month! I hope everyone is feeling good about what we accomplished last month. I think I got off to a good start for the year--now come the time where the intitial energy begins to wear off, and I'll be surrounded by chocolate kisses and hearts....

The trip is going well, I'm just tired. I've mostly made good eating choices, but being cooped up in the hotel so much (and out of the fresh air and sunlight) is making me munchy. It's very, very cold in Chicago so it isn't very pleasant being outside when the high temperature is 21 degrees. I have been in the hotel's fitness room, which was little shabby but the cardio machines worked.

How are the rest of you guys doing? Any hot plans for Super Bowl Sunday?

judy

colneen
02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Hello everyone:wave: Nice to meet you all. I've been eating less mainly and not pigging out. Well, I'm a binge eater and I know how to control it but it's not always easy. Sometimes I've been following the weight watchers flex plan.I was a member several times but I hated the meetings. So I'm pretty much doing it on my own.:)

KCWMU
02-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Hmmm super bowl sunday plans..... Im not doing too much. I'm actually going over to a friends house to do my laundry (I don't have a washer or dryer in my apt. and I'm cheap and don't really use the laundramat!!) She's watching what she eats and stuff too, but we made a decision to kind of 'splurge' today cause its Super Bowl Sunday. I am proud of us though, we usually make a Hormel Chili and Cream Cheese dip to eat with tortilla chips. Well I bought turkey chili and the low fat cream cheese and baked tortilla chips. Plus we're doing hot wings and wheat-tortilla pizza! It'll be fun, its a snacky kind of day, but at least we made the effort to make our snacks a bit more healthly!

Aubrey

spunker
02-05-2007, 07:00 AM
judydc, Glad your trip is going well! It always seems more difficult on the eating front when you are on a trip (of any sort), but it sounds like you are still doing well :)

colneen, first, welcome! lol I hear you on not particularly enjoying the Weight Watchers meetings. I was also a member several times, but I rarely made it to the meetings, and eventually gave up (though I don't really think that had anything to do with the meetings). Congrats on the weight loss!

KCWMU, honestly, don't blame ya on not paying to do your laundry. It adds up quick. I do mine at my mom's weekly because I can't afford $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry. Sounds like you had a fun Super Bowl planned!

- - - - - -

Sorry I've been gone for a bit. My semester started on the 17th (two nights a week, 3 hours each of those nights) - a bit exhausting and getting adjusted to. Plus January was such a fiasco, especially going down hill on the 17th. Between losing my bank card, not receiving it, having to reorder it, etc. to just a bunch of other odd ends that (you feel) go wrong, and just make for an over all bad month.

I'm currently sitting in a freezing 59 degree apartment while it's about 10 outside (something is wrong with my heat - gotta love this place, can't wait to move! Shame I have to wait until the end of August...).

In between, well, did pretty well beginning of January, but started struggling a bit half way - end, but not horribly.

I have really noticed a change since actively trying to lose weight. I've become more irritable (but that could be from school as well, and a few stressors at work), but I've noticed a large increase in my anxiety. Wednesday night/Thursday morning, I kept waking up in a panic/panic attack, so I only had slept a couple of hours. I have an appointment tomorrow with my therapist, and I want to bring that up (I've always noticed a large increase in anxiety when trying to lose weight since I was about 16 or so).

I've also noticed that, weight loss/food/exercise is becoming a very strong focus, perhaps too much. I've already missed a class because of it (was extremely stressed and was gravitating towards food/comfort/coping).

In 2003/2004 when I was in school/working, I pretty much stopped both all together eventually because all I wanted to do was stay home to exercise, etc.

One good thing is that I finally have a membership at a gym - My mom and I were doing the discovery health national body challenge, and we ended up getting a good deal at bally's (she pays $36, I pay $17, 3 year contract, 3rd year is free). I'm actually enjoying it a lot. I've only been going a few weeks, but it's definitely been quite enjoyable.

judydc
02-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Spunker, I'm sorry it's so cold up there! I was in Chicago last week, and boy, that was no picnic. It's colder than usual here, and our office is so cold we were wearing gloves this morning. I hoep your therapist gives you some insight into the anxiety issue. Food really can be a mood regulator, but maybe you can switch up what types of food you eat, when.... folks on the low-carb diets often complain about irritability. Working up a sweat at Bally's will certainly help! How cool to have your mom as a partner in this.

Coleen and Aubrey, soudns like you're both making good choices. I was too tired to do anything special for the Super Bowl, just vegged out....

I wa going to have a big salad for dinner, but I think I'll nuke up some leftover stew instead.

Be well--judy

KCWMU
02-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Wowzers... these past few days have been killin me. I live in southwest Michigan, and I haven't had to work yesterday or today, and its TOUGH. (The school disctrict that I teach in has closed the past 2 days due to 'extreme low temperatures'... wind chills of -25)

Anyway.... I look forward to the workweek because it is easier for me to stick to my healthy habits when I'm not surrounded by food all day. I'm going to try my HARDEST to make healthy decisions today..... Hopefully I'll do well!

Aubrey

Ashley103
02-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Hello, I'm finally back to join the group. I went on a business trip, then managed to get sick with a nasty sinus infection. Been on some good drugs for the past week and am finally getting my strength back.

Wind chill of -25 = brrrrr. We dipped below 30 last night and that's all anyone talked about in the office this morning.

judydc
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Ashley, a sinus infection is a major drag! I used to get them a couple-three times a year, especially after longerer plane flights. But I haven't had one since I eliminated wheat from my diet in November, and I've been on at least five round-trip flights since then. I'm a believer!

Aubrey, how are you doing at home? I used to have the same problem on weekends, until I stopped turning on the tube during the day. If I'm moving around other parts of my apartment, doing chores or talking on the phone, I don't find myself gravitating toward the frig. It's harder when it's cold, though, I just want comfort food.

Spunker, have you bought a space heater yet :o ? You've been dealing with a lot lately, at least you could be comfy in your own home.

I have been doing mini-workouts this week, 'cuz I'm still tired from the past tow seeks and feeling the need to catch up on sleep. But I'm on program with food, so I'm satisfied with that for now.

judy

Ashley103
02-08-2007, 08:42 PM
I really hate Valentine's Day. First, I have no sweatheart in my life so all the romance really stinks. Second, there is way too much candy hanging around everywhere I go. I made Valentine's "care packages" for my daughter and her college friends. I put lots of other stuff in the packages, but also bought one package of candy to add to the baskets. Then sat down and ate a whole bunch of the left-overs. Finally had to just go to bed. Brought the left-overs into work and left them in the break room this morning.

The only good news out of this is that the "old" me would have eaten every single piece of the candies. The "new" me ate about 10 pieces, which was still way too much, but could have been way worse.

RebaR
02-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Ashley,

I join you in the sentiment of hating Valentines day... so far I haven't bought anything... we'll be having a party at work for the teachers and staff on Monday and of course parties in the classrooms on Wednesday....

Reba

KCWMU
02-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm doing a bit better now that I'm back to work! I'm eating a lot healthier and I'm not overeating as much. Plus on Tuesday I decided I need to get back to working out every day. Since Tuesday I've seen the scales start to gradually creep down (a scale that shows tenths is WONDERFUL!) So of course that is giving me more motivation to stick to it. Not to mention I decided on the spur of the moment that I'm going to take a Friday off at the end of the month and fly down to Florida to visit my grandparents for 3 days. Which is of course a bit more motivation than my France trip. I mean, my France trip is motivation, but it still seems so far away that I find myself thinking 'oh I've still got time.' Now I've got less than a month to make some sort of a difference....so it keeps it right there in my thoughts all the time. And now I'm blabbering on and on.....haha.

Good Luck everyone! I'll have a new update soon!

Aubrey

Ashley103
02-10-2007, 09:35 PM
I had a really fun day today. The "Whad' ya know?" show from National Public Radio was taping here and I had tickets, so went with a friend. Had a lot of fun and then went out to lunch. Still stayed within my daily goal range of 1500 calories though.

Aubrey - congratulations on your downward creep. It's so exciting to see a change when you've been stuck.

Reba - I think being around a classroom on Valentine's would really be tough. Do you have a game plan to avoid eating the sweets?

Judy and others - hope your weekend is going well.

judydc
02-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Ashley, I love Whadda Ya Know, the host craqcks me up, and the band is great. It must have been fun to see a live taping. Congrats for putting the brakes on a binge. Fall down six times, get up seven...

Aubrey, a long weekend in Florida sounds like a great motivation to me!

Reba, it must be hard being at a school on 2/14. I hope you come up with a good strategy to deal with the temptations. I don't mind Valentine's Day anymore. I buy cards for my Mom and Grandma and try to avoid all the chocolate. Having a sweetie is no guarantee for a lovely, romantic day, believe me! I've had a nice time, and I've been miserable--at this point I jsut don't let the hype get to me.

I'm still in San Francisco, where it's been raining non-stop. But looking at the crazy snow some people are getting, I can't complain. I'm all over the place with my eating, and I did something to my back so I haven't been working out. But I'm trying to get my act together--I don't want to gain any weight back on this trip.

judy

samanthaf63
02-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Why does it seem like 95% of the board is a bunch of married women with babies? We singles get fat, too!

I'm in Chicago and freezing, but unfortunately not freezing my big butt off. Why doesn't that happen for real?

Believe it or not, I haven't even noticed the Valentine's candy. I have been on an exercise kick - started working out in October and by this time, I'm kind of antsy if I don't work out every day (I do Body Flex, yoga, and Pilates).

So why am I here? Simple - I can do what I need to do until I get relatively near my goal weight (say 20 lbs. or so) and then I freeze up and start to sabotage myself and keep myself from getting where I want to go. I also want to make this my LAST weight loss (I'm 43 and have been chronically fat since I was 20).

But I'm really happy to be here amongst such a nice group of folks!

Samantha

RebaR
02-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Actually, for me, there will probably be more temptation Monday at the staff party... I'm on the commitee for this one... I'm taking strawberries and dip... Wednesday won't be too bad... Our school system is actually pretty careful about what we have at parties and such because of the new federal regulations... we will be having a pizza party- so I won't eat lunch and eat 1 or 2 slices of pizza- we will probably order cheese or pepperoni... and then we'll have cupcakes- no candy planned at this point. Now that doesn't mean a kind hearted parent wont send some.... but I'm usually busy helping the kids and have to feed the little girl I work with....so that helps too...

I know not having a sweetie isn't the end of the world, it's just hard sometimes for me... for other reasons, this is a difficult time of year for me... and I have to fight not to binge just to because and to push some feelings down.....

Reba

judydc
02-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi, Samantha, you live in one of my favorite places! I lived on Chicago's far north side for 16 years. I can relate to your comment about sabotage. Losing a lot of weight is definitely about more than dieting and will power.

Reba, I love chocolate-dipped strawberries...or chocolate dipped anything! I hope you're able to enjoy the day as a singleton.

I've come down with a sinus infection, which is a real drag because I'm still on the road, and supposed to fly again this evening. I haven't worked out since Sunday, but I have been eating more or less within my program. I'm off to find drugs, if not an urgent care center. I'm afraid to fly with this much congestion...

Ashley103
02-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Judydc - I just got over a sinus infection and the flying was not any fun. I hope you can find something to help you feel better before you get back on the plane.

Reba - we had a staff breakfast on Monday that drove me way over the cliff on calories. I do much better if I'm completely on my own regarding menu choices. Put it in front of me and I'll eat it.

Samantha - Welcome to the singles thread. We certainly have some challenges that are different from those with families. I enjoy hearing how other singles are coping with weight loss.

Aubrey - hope things are going well for you. Did you end up going down to Florida to see your grandparents? When is your trip to France?

Everyone - have a wonderful Valentine's day tomorrow. Just STEP AWAY from the candy.

samanthaf63
02-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Been working out since October - started out with full-blown, in-person yoga classes for an hour three times a week but in November, the good yoga instructor was changed out for a really stinky one, so I went to DVD and stopped classes. Then I started doing Pilates on DVD, and I basically switch between the two of them in the evenings. I do Body Flex in the morning.

However, I purchased a Yogilates DVD, and it's a 45-minute challenge. It's divided into three sections and the instructor says "You can stop here if you like or you can continue." Well, I always select "Continue" and I get pretty excited 'cos I think I'm doing really well with it. I sweat up a storm and get pretty much most of the positions and sometimes even more. (I can't do the Tree, but that's the only one I simply cannot do.)

What is frustrating is that the next couple of days I am so sore that I have trouble even doing my Body Flex. I hate like **** to cut back on that workout because as much as I sweat, I do enjoy it. I know I am in a rush to "get thin, get thin" and that's part of the reason I work out as much as I do but what do you do when you think you're okay and you find out the next day that you're doing too much? Any ideas?

arghhhhhhh

KCWMU
02-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Samantha - Remember that if your body is sore, then its telling you that you need a break. Maybe when you do the yogalaties, take the next day off and give your body some time to recoup!!! That would be my idea for you!

Hmm lets see...whats going on with me... I haven't gone to Florida yet, I leave on March 1st (I'm gone March 1st-4th) then I go to France July 8th-19th!!!!! I'm down another pound, which is always exciting. I've been sticking to working out every day as well as eating a lot better. I haven't eaten red meat in WEEKS, its been all turkey, chicken and fish for me and I can completely tell. I had pizza yesterday, and it made me sick, which is always FUN!!! Well, the sick part is not fun, but I'm excited that my body doesn't like pizza anymore! =)

Good luck everyone, I'll keep everyone up to date!

Aubrey

colneen
02-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Hey guys! I got lost and for a time I was'nt able to find this thread again! I'll be sure to note where I found it this time.:) I got though Valentine's Day without buying a box of candy for myself like I used to. Or anyone else buying one for me:cry:. Oh well...Kiss,Kiss,Kiss,still no prince.:chockiss:

Samantha-Good luck on hitting your goal weight. I know what you mean about sabotage, I seem to have done it to myself several times. That's why I keep coming back here to remind myself of why I can't give up and to stick to things as I've planned.

Judy-Hope that sinus infection gets better.:getwell:

Aubrey- I have found that my body does'nt tolerate some of the junk I used to eat too. Of course if it's a favorite food (like :jeno: pizza is one of mine)that could be a bummer.

Ashley103
02-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm happy to see this thread picked back up!

Aubrey - is this your first trip to France? I was there a couple years ago and had a fabulous time.

Samantha - I feel sore the second day after going to cardio classes, but it's more from the muscles tightening up afterwards. I just push through the soreness and find that once I'm warmed up, the soreness goes away. Like Aubrey said, skipping a day is a good idea. If you want to work out on the in-between day, try to find something that uses a different group of muscles.

Colleen - isn't it annoying when you can't find a thread back? I bought myself some Valentine's candy, but limited it to a little box of those little candy hearts with sayings on them.

I'm off to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow for a business trip. I have a very difficult time staying on program when traveling. Too many group meals with poor food choices and too much emotional eating. I'm going to try really hard this time, though. I'll be back on Weds.

judydc
02-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Hooray, I'm back home! I got in early Sunday morning and have mostly been in bed or on the couch ever since. I'm feeling better, but still not good, too much congestion and a headache. Better to be sick at home, though, than in a hotel room. I don't have to fly again for several weeks, so whatever has wacked out my sinuses will have plenty of time to get over this.

Colleen, the quickest way to bookmark a thread you like is to click on the "thread tools" box at the top of the thread, click "subscribe to this thread" and then you'll always be able to find it in your User CP (Control Panel) if you don't want to search for it. You can also click onto your own name on a post to see where else you've been...good work with the Valentine's candy. Now let's get geared up for the Easter treats....good think I don't like Peeps!

Aubrey and Smanatha, good for you, working out and getting it done! Yogalates sounds interesting. I haven't worked out in a week. I will do a little something in the morning if I don't feel up to a full cardio routine, just because I miss moving around.

Ashley, I hope your trip is going well. I'll bet you will surprise yourself with this trip. I didn't gain the ten days I was gone, which is unprecendented, but overall it means that I've lost some of the Big Mo I had starting off the year. But today we begin again--starting with major trip to the grocery store. Would anyone here like to set a short-term goal, for St. Patrick's Day, for example? My goal is to get back to my workout routines, and get down to 222.

Have a good day, everyone!

judy

samanthaf63
02-21-2007, 12:22 AM
After a long, extended weekend with the boyfriend, it wasn't too easy to jump back into yoga again (my bad; I usually make us do yoga at least once in three days, let alone once in four).

Also didn't pull any punches in food consumption and now I feel like a Thanksgiving turkey whose been overstuffed and is heading for the oven.

And now I'm paranoid about what I undoubtedly gained back and I feel like a moose. I have not gone anywhere near a scale (swore I wouldn't weigh myself before the end of February) but I feel immense.

talk me down (up?), please!!!!

judydc
02-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Samantha, I hope you've been able to get back on track this week! A few days of being a slug isn't so horrible, but you need to haul yourself back onto the wagon and get moving! Look at the Success thread whenever you are losing momentum....it works for me, anyway.

I'm still struggling with whatever assures me is a two-week cold. I'm feeling better, but still coughing, and dealing witht a constant sinus headache. I miss working out! Hopefully I'll feel peppier Saturday morning. I haven't done badly with food, but I think I'm eating too many "healthy" carbs at night, which is one of my great downfalls. I'll have to work for a while on Saturday, but I'll spend Sunday with my feet propped up, reading the papers and maybe checking out these Oscars that I've been hearing so much about....

Hope everyone else is in good spirits.

samanthaf63
02-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Yet another crisis at home (how many crises can one guy have? Don't answer that!) and I'm not doing ANYTHING about drinking my oil but at least I'm back on the exercise bandwagon and at least I got through the Yogilates dvd with scarcely a sweat. I even managed the Tree post for about 2 seconds, which was much better than the first two times.

Sorry about your cold - do you know I keep Vicks Vapo-Rub cream (not that hideous gel stuff we all used as kids but the cream itself) all over the house? You use it just like the old stuff but it doesn't destroy your nightgowns the way the old stuff did. I do Body Flex, which is a bunch of breathing and positions and if you have a stuffed nose, you are hosed (forgive the poor rhyming scheme), so I keep some Vapo-Rub cream handy and smear it under my nose about 10 minutes before a workout and then I can breathe. Yes, it still smells like the original stuff but the tube is more manageable. Have you tried it?

Sunday in jammies sounds just the cure for what ails ya. Don't forget the hot tea (highly recommend Snapple's new hot teas, in particular the "Honey of an Apple flavor that tastes like Honey Crisp apples). Tea is calorie free and you can indulge without guilt!

judydc
02-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Alright, Samantha, back on track :carrot: . Thanks for the Vicks tip. I used to hate the stuff with a passion as a child, but I should revisit the 21st century version. And yes, I'm all about tea, anyway. I have box of cold Remedy, Breathe Free and other teas, but after two weeks I was getting a little sick of them. What I'd really like is an old-fasioned hot toddy. But I'm being good, and I'm continuing to improve, enough to go 45 minutes of cardio this morning, woo-hoo:carrot: .

Today was so nice that I ran all my errands today instead of going into the office. I'll regret this tomorrow, as they're predicting miserable Sunday weather--ice and rain--but at least I'll only have one destination instead of four. I bought a cute love seat and saw a great movie (The Queen) so it was an interesting afternoon. I had popcorn at the movies, so I didn't have any snacks today.

Hope everyone else is doing well this weekend! Every day is a new beginning.

judy

KCWMU
02-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Wow its been a long time since I've posted on here.... Last week absolutely horrible for me. I ate fast food almost everyday, and I my workouts were non-existant. It was awful, and trust me, I'm feeling it now. (not to mention I ended up with strep throat over the weekend... ) I accepted the position as sophomore class advisor and last week was our 'winter fest' week in which the sophomore class has to plan everything, including the dance. So I ran around like a crazy person all week.

NOW I'm getting ready to go to Florida. I leave Thursday night for 3 glorious days in Treasure Island (near Tampa). I plan to walk every day with my grandparents, take the stairs every day (our condo is on the 15th floor...yikes) AND swim all three days that I'm there. And then when I get back its back to working out every day and watching my calories again.

Ashley- This is the first time that I'm going to France. I'm actually going with another teacher (who I have a gigantic crush on...lol) and 4 students. We're going on a 10 day trip starting in Paris, and ending in Nice. I'm super excited!!!!

Aubrey

judydc
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Aubrey, welcome back! Sorry to hear that you struggled last week, but hey, today's a new day. Florida's sunshine (and stairs:devil: ) will get you on the right track. Congrats on being the sophomore advisor, that sounds like a lot of responsibility. I vaguely remember being a soph back in the Seventies, God, what a mess....

In a few minutes I'll be heading out of town again for a few days. I packed my gear and some good snacks, and will focus on making good choices. My cold is still hanging around the edges--I want it to go away!

judy

judydc
03-05-2007, 10:04 PM
I survived another several days out of town, complete with buffets:devil: . I got a few workouts in, and started lunches and dinners with salad to cut back on the amount of damage I could do, but I know my portions were too big. Now I'm home for over three weeks, so no excuses! It felt great to get back to my usual routines.

How's everybody else doing?

judy

KCWMU
03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
How's everyone doing???? It looks like everyone is forgetting about the Slimming Singles! :( I hope everyone is doing good!!! I finally broke 200 on the hundreds on the scale this morning... I was at 199.5... that could change tomorrow morning, but at least I've gotten a taste of it now, so it makes me work a bit harder!!!!

Have a good day everyone!

Aubrey

RebaR
03-08-2007, 10:48 PM
It's been a while since I posted- sorry... life has been busy. I've been reading, just not posting much. I am so ready for tomorrow to be over... this time tomorrow, I'll be sitting by a campfire... and will be at the campground til tuesday! next week is spring break for us. The first part of the week is for fun... on Wednesday, I'll be having gallbladder surgery... so, I won't be around much!

Reba

samanthaf63
03-08-2007, 11:02 PM
:( So I got in all those Richard Simmons VHS tapes and I'm sure sorry I got them. I guess I should have asked some pointed questions - have gotten so spoiled with instructors who know how to instruct that I was very disgusted.

The camera angles prevent a newbie from seeing exactly what is going on at all time and Richard doesn't bother to tell you what he's doing - he just does it. Which wouldn't be bad if you had a wide angle lens to see it, but no - the "arty farty" camera angles prevent it from happening. Second, he's working out on a regular gym floor, something that cannot happen with carpeting. You can't slide your feet the right way, you kinda get snagged on the carpeting. I know it's been awhile since I've done an aerobic workout but I never had that with Rita Moreno's tape way back when.

I'm disillusioned - I know I need a good cardio workout but I really hate the kind of music they're pushing these days. I don't want to listen to Latin or hip hop or some such crap. But I do need an instructor who knows what they're doing.:mad:

Any ideas?

judydc
03-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Aubrey, congratulations on seeing Onderland!!!:yay: you must be very excited. I would like to join you there, but I have to step things up a notch, or maybe three notches, to get there this year.

Reba, good luck with your surgery. Maybe you can ask the doctors to slip in a little lipo while they are working ;) . I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday. Please pop in when you can and let us know how you're doing.

Samantha--I use Collage Videos; you can preview the workouts on their websites, and send videos back if you hate 'em. Also, in the 3FC fitness threads you can find lots of posts about the most popular videos. I like Charlene Prickett's low-impact videos. There's a few points where there's some fance footwork, but mostly it's straight-forward and I think she's grett at cueing. I also have Aerobics for Dummies (Gay Gaspar, which I did this morning), which isn't flashy but gets the job done. I started out with Kathy Smith, but some of her later videos seem to be a little hyper and shrill. I have been really into TurboJam for several months now. Finally, now that there's the option to only hear the music, I do Leslie Sansome's 5-mile walk sometimes. The workouts are brisk but basic, but I couldn't deal with her incessant prattle.

It's been sunny here, although still chilly, and the time springs ahead this weekend...it will be spring soon, yaay!

judy

pinksugar
03-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Hello everyone I am so glad I am not the only singleton out there. My life is nothing like sex and the city I know the key to being happy is to love oneself so I think you guys will help me achieve that goal.

judydc
03-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Trust me Pink, I lived in NYC for many years and hardly anyone's life was like Carrie Bradshaw's...although I could relate to the broader questions about how single people deal with lust, intimacy and commitment as they move into their 30s and beyond. Yeah, cute men and cute clothes are great, but contentment comes from within. I went out with a friend last night who's approaching 30--almost 20 years younger than me--and she spent most of the evening being bummed that she's not in a relationship. She's smart and gorgeous but sort of negative in general, and I think her all-or-nothing attitude gets in the way. But we all have to figure it out for ourselves, don't we?

I have been working out this week, but I think I'm just sick of Curves, I haven't been able to drag myself over there in weeks. So I'm going to cancel my membership (after three years). I tentatively have an appointment with a personal trainer/physical therapist to come by my apartment complex to help me with a strength routine using the machines in our new fitness center. I have been taking in too many calories this week, which I blame on being a little overwhelmed at work...but it will be an overwhelming year at work, so I have to nip this in the bud! I'm also taking a meditation class which starts on Wednesday. That can only help!

Time to work out and get started on the chores. This morning I'll do Walk Away the Pounds five-mile walk. With the awful music but not Leslie Sansone's chatter! Hope everyone has a great weekend.

judy

KCWMU
03-11-2007, 11:06 PM
So ladies, I definately had a melt down tonight, and it wasn't a fun one. I did so good all day long I ate healthy and did turbo jam this morning. But then at like 7:00 tonight I decided that I should try to figure out what clothes to wear tomorrow. You see, the other teacher that is going on this trip with me to France this summer is mega gorgeous, and single....lol.... and I have a slight crush on him. Well tomorrow night him and I are taking the 4 students going to France with us to a fancy French restaurant, and I wanted to wear something trendy, dressy, and sexy! Well it took me like 87 different outfits to wear, was in tears at one point, but I finally settled on something to wear.. It was just a hard night for me, I was so proud of myself for working out and eating better, and I was just so depressed when it came time for me to find an outfit, everything I tried on I felt like just made me look 'fat'. But like I said, I found something to wear, and had a glass of water and now I'm going to bed and will wake up a much happier person tomorrow. I'm proud of myself though for not going to Burger King or something just to drown myself in my depression..... Thats always a positive thing....

Have a wonderful Day

Aubrey

samanthaf63
03-12-2007, 09:26 PM
:p I have no reason whatsoever to be depressed (except that I didn't do much working out since Friday) except that it's just before TOM and I'm feeling down. Just had dinner and letting it settle before taking on my yoga DVD (no workouts within 2 hours, ya know) and I don't think I'll nibble much I don't want to but I am sorta down.

What do you guys do when you're feeling that way - "sorta down for no good reason"?

judydc - thanks for the suggestion of the workout DVDs. I'll definitely check it out!

judydc
03-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Aubrey, your mind is playing games with you! I'm sure you looked great, and I hope you had fun at the restaurant. Some days I'll look in the mirror and smile, noticing something I'll like, and later I'll look at the same body (in a different mood) and be horrified. Our friends our focusing on our smile, our voices, our self-confidence and what we have to say, not on the flab on our arms or our chunky thighs. I struggle to tune out that mean voice in my head....and think about women like Queen Latifah, who's a make-up model, for crying out loud, and remember that as long as I'm not going on and on about my big butt, no one else is, either.:hug:

Samantha, I listen to music and read when I'm feeling a little down. What I really want to do then, of course, is nibble, especially in the evening :devil: . I used to drink a little mint tea and treat myself to a nice bubble bath or a face mask. I've gotten out of the habit, so this is a nice reminder to head toward the bath instead of the kitchen in these moods. What yoga DVD do you do? I like Gaim Living Arts' Yoga for Weight Loss, which I want to do more often in the evenings, but I don't normally get home in time to have dinner before 8PM, and by 10 I'm too lazy to do anything...but I will think of you in the same boat, maybe it will inspire me!

The weather is perking up nicely....which means more time walking outside :carrot: .

judy

judydc
03-18-2007, 06:00 PM
I hope everyone is having a great weekend! I got my hair done yesterday and bought a nice rug for the living room today. I spent part of today with a friend who's a real estate lawyer (for ginormous corporate deals) who talked with me about buying a place to live. I'm sick to death of renting apartments, but I've been worried about the price of housing in my area. And as a single woman without a second income or a car, I'm not up for moving further out into the burbs and invest in a fixer-upper. I will be going to first-time home buyer seminar next Saturday, we'll see what they say.

I've been okay with food, but last night I had a microwave popcorn binge:( . All week I've struggled to adjust to the time change, which has cut into my workout time. This week I'll be better...the meditation class was wonderful. I know that a regular practice of mindful meditation will help me with mindless eating...

judy

RebaR
03-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Hey y'all,

sorry I haven't been posting... I had my gallbladder removed Wednesday and stayed overnight at the hospital...

how are you? How was your weekend?? Mine was quiet but that shouldn't surprise anyone... i spent time dozing and reading and working on a puzzle...but I did get out some!

My mom, sister and I went to a yard sale and then an estate sale yesterday... out for several hours... then I went with a friend driving through town for pictures of the old homes (She's getting ready for the pilgrimage art show) and then to walmart- did ok... I was tired at the end of the day but ok. Today I went to church and then lunch...boy... didn't realize it would hurt like it did to sing with the choir! should have sat it out... for lunch we went to chinese- but Theresa and I did well...didn't really enough to go! I was worn out when I got home- don't know if it was a combo with yesterday or what...but I've rested all afternoon and didn't go to church tonight... tomorrow I go back to work... pray that my energy holds during the day!

so... how are you doing??

Reba

judydc
03-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Reba, you've been very busy for a woman just recovering from surgery! It sounds like it went well, I'm glad. I hope that you are able to take it easy on your first day back to work.

I am trying not to repeat last week's lingering in bed in the morning...I did a little yoga last night and went to bed a little earlier than usual, but it didn't help. I still managed to do 40 minutes of cardio and get in an extra few minutes of walking to work, but I got to the office a little late. It was still pretty chilly this weekend, after last Friday's sleet and hail, but now I can tell that spring is just around the corner, yaay! I can't wait to pack up my heavier clothes and switch back into sandals:dancer: .

Aubrey, Samantha, et al, hope you're feeling good today.

judy

judydc
03-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Wow, it's been a tough week at work! Having a meditation class right in the middle of it was wonderful, though. I haven't been able to get back into my workout groove. I'm mentally and physically tired, working longer hours and not having much time to zone out and relax. So my exercise time has gotten short shrift, and I'm feeling niblbly after dinner. Arrgh! Must get a grip!!!

I have a busy weekend coming up, including an engagement party (I'll attend dateless, per usual). What about the rest of you? Pipe up if you want to keep this thread going!

judy

BooBear2071
03-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi all.
I am new here. I am 36 single and in the midst of losing weight.

Last may (2006) I decided to attempt to lose weight at 212. I have been a *professional* dieter forever and never was able to lose. I always felt like I was hanging over a ledge when dieting before. Like I was just holding on to lose the smallest amount.

So I decided to approach this thing different this time. First whatever advice I had recived over the years I was going to seriously question and or do it different and see what happened. I was not going to look at the goal -- but rather the amount I had lost. I also used meditation techniques to keep me on plan when I wanted to dive into a pig out.

I had been on a message board to lose the weight but I just didn't fit in there. Among other issues -- no one was single. I swear it really is a different world. Personally it would grate on my nerves the *stay at home* moms who had all day to post yet didn't seem to lose weight. Plus no one seemed to care or take serously any issues with guys. I mean if I would mention that someone gave me notice I would get these silly responses like *you sexy thing* or whatever which just spoke to how uninterested they were about my issues.

Not to totally trash people but I just had to give the board up and go looking because I felt it was just depressing me.

So I was so thrilled to see a forum here for singletons. Since last year I have lost 33 lbs ( I am now 179) and I am starting in full force again. I want to get to 133 but I would be totally happy with 153.

I see at least ONE poster is into meditation as well -- Judy? -- That is so great because the ONLY thing that ever ever captured my imagination and settled me so that I could effectively lose weight was reading a book called "full catastrophe livng" which wasn't even about weight loss. But it just made everything clique. It was about mindfulness and meditation.

Anway there I am can't wait to join in the conversations.
BooBear 212/179/133

judydc
03-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi, BooBear--

Pleased to meet you! But you're right, it's nice to be able to talk about the joys and frustrations of being single without feeling selfish or left out. I hope we can keep this thread going long enough to find some steady posters.

I have been in a rut for over a year. I'm only about 10 pounds lighter than I was this time last year. But this site has kept me pointed in the right direction, despite illnesses, work stress and travel. I'm a mindless eater (plus I just like food :ink: ) so I figure that incorporating meditation has to help. I really love doing it. The challenge is to make it a habit.

The engagement party was nice. The groom-to-be is a friend but we aren't close, so it was good of him to invite me. I've been feeling sluggish and lumpy lately, so I finally cashed in a free facial at Origins Friday night, spiffed myself up and even wore a little makeup. Dinner was at an Italian place, enormous platters ofood served family style. I filled up on the salad course, and had a little salmon and chicken and mushroom for the second course. And the champagne toast, of course!

I also had a good visit with a personal trainer yesterday. Boy, was I sore this morning! But he's helping me figure out a good strengthening routine for the fitness center in my apartment complex.

hope everyone had a great weekend!

judy