Old 12-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #1  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Height: 5'7"

Talking Healthy grocery shopping tips?

I went shopping tonight at wally world, and got a lot of the things I saw people mention on the posts/boards...and in the Dr. Oz book. Nuts, V-8 Juice, Lots of Fresh Veggies, Fresh Fruit, Multi Vitamins, and what not. I was wondering if there was anything else that would be good? I need something with a lot of protein because I have started back on my vegetarian eating. Tofu, Morningstar farms brand. So, any suggestions would be great!
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #2  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

Oh, and I ate the tofu with some boiled squash and a piece of whole wheat bread for dinner..and it was SO delicious. Pete's tofu or something like that. From wally world. It's already seasoned, and ready to cook. Amazing! Also, I am satisfied!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:35 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Can I just start by saying that I am SO jealous that you have a Super Walmart near you--there isn't one anywhere near me, and I miss it soooo much! When I lived with my sis in Va Beach, we were literally 5 minutes from a Walmart Supercenter, and it rocked for groceries.

Anyway...if you're vegetarian, maybe some beans would help? I've somewhat recently fallen in love with black beans--7g protein, 6g fiber, and 90 calories in half a cup. I mix it with some salsa (and chicken, but you can obviously leave that out) and serve over brown rice or whole wheat couscous, and even my boyfriend likes it (especially with a little shredded cheddar cheese on top--YUM!).

Do you drink milk? I love the stuff--8g protein in 1 cup. I use 1.5 cups in my breakfast smoothie every morning plus I add vanilla protein powder and a banana--gives me protein, fruit, dairy, healthy carbs...can't make a much better breakfast than that (for me, anyway)!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

I am not a vegetarian, but I really love red pepper, zucchini and onion cubed up and sauteed in a pan with a very small amount of olive oil. I don't any salt or seasonings and it tastes soo good.
I try to fill my plate with 1/2 veggies, 1/4 carbs (like potatoes) and 1/4 of some kind of protein.
As a healthy shopping trip tip, I have always been told to avoid the center aisles of the store. Stick to the outside where all of the fresh, unprocessed stuff is.
good luck
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #5  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

Oh wow. We have two near where I live. I'm sorry you don't have one near you. I can't even remember when it was just a regular wally world. lol.

Black beans. I was looking at some of those this evening. They didn't look all that great to me. lol. But, yanno what they say..don't knock something until you try it. I guess the next time I am out there I will pick up a can. and some of the other ingredients you listed to mix that together for dinner one night. Morningstar Farms has some amazing veggie chicken strips that I could use in place of regular chicken for that recipe.

I drink soy milk, well I really only use it in cereal, that's just about it. I am lactose intolerant, so...that's just about my only choice is soy dairy. Do you think vanilla soy milk would be good in place of orange juice in a smoothie? Never tried it before. My roomate is the one that makes the smoothies. I've never tried any other type of smoothie except for frozen strawberries, or mixed fruit, orange juice + ice. The smoothie maker that I have, I just got for Christmas so I haven't really tried many different recipes yet. A few came with it, but I didn't really take a close look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Can I just start by saying that I am SO jealous that you have a Super Walmart near you--there isn't one anywhere near me, and I miss it soooo much! When I lived with my sis in Va Beach, we were literally 5 minutes from a Walmart Supercenter, and it rocked for groceries.

Anyway...if you're vegetarian, maybe some beans would help? I've somewhat recently fallen in love with black beans--7g protein, 6g fiber, and 90 calories in half a cup. I mix it with some salsa (and chicken, but you can obviously leave that out) and serve over brown rice or whole wheat couscous, and even my boyfriend likes it (especially with a little shredded cheddar cheese on top--YUM!).

Do you drink milk? I love the stuff--8g protein in 1 cup. I use 1.5 cups in my breakfast smoothie every morning plus I add vanilla protein powder and a banana--gives me protein, fruit, dairy, healthy carbs...can't make a much better breakfast than that (for me, anyway)!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #6  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

Wow, I never knew that. I will try to steer clear from the center aisles from now on. I think the only thing that I really go into that area for is a few cans of beans and seasoning (garlic, ground red pepper).

Never had that before, but I will have to try it. It sounds delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash15+ View Post
I am not a vegetarian, but I really love red pepper, zucchini and onion cubed up and sauteed in a pan with a very small amount of olive oil. I don't any salt or seasonings and it tastes soo good.
I try to fill my plate with 1/2 veggies, 1/4 carbs (like potatoes) and 1/4 of some kind of protein.
As a healthy shopping trip tip, I have always been told to avoid the center aisles of the store. Stick to the outside where all of the fresh, unprocessed stuff is.
good luck
Old 12-29-2006, 09:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi - I'm brand new to this site (trying to get motivated). I'm not vegetarian, but don't each much meat. I had a boca burger (original/vegan kind) tonight on a low carb wheat tortilla. The tortillas are in the refrigerator section at wally world (my town of gloucester's claim to fame is we have the biggest walmart on the east coast - woohoo!). I also ate a spinach/toful egg roll from trader joe's and a salad. A hodge podge dinner, but I think pretty healthy nonetheless.

All the foods mentioned sound like really good suggestions. I might also suggest buying some avocado (not cheap, but you can get 4 servings out of one - good on or with different things). Also, as a vegetarian, do you eat eggs? Great source of protein and if you eliminate all or some yolks very lowfat and cheap. Quinoa and kefir are both healthy and nutritious, and I just bought some when I was at trader joe's.

Do any of you do fitday? I'm giving it a try since I read a lot about it on here. I think I need that accountability for myself. I did weight watchers for a while about a year ago, so I'm a little confused about points vs. calories...On fitday, how do I know where I want to be each day calorie wise? I mean, I know with WWs how many points to have to lose, but I really don't know how many calories -- if anyone could advise me on that, I would appreciate it! Thanks!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh68 View Post
Do any of you do fitday? I'm giving it a try since I read a lot about it on here. I think I need that accountability for myself. I did weight watchers for a while about a year ago, so I'm a little confused about points vs. calories...On fitday, how do I know where I want to be each day calorie wise? I mean, I know with WWs how many points to have to lose, but I really don't know how many calories -- if anyone could advise me on that, I would appreciate it! Thanks!
I use Fitday religiously. I don't just enter what I eat as I go along--I use it to plan out my food for the whole day first thing in the morning (And then adjust in the evenning if I've had to change anything from my plan). Once you add in custom entries for foods you eat regularly, it's a snap!

1 WW Point is 50 calories (with some adjustments made for fiber and fat, but it typically averages out to 50 calories per Point). As for how to know how many calories to eat, the best means is trial and error. If you Google "calorie calculator," you'll find about a million different online calculators that will provide estimates as to how much you should eat, but we are all so different that they really are only ESTIMATES (I can't stress that enough, as some people seem to think that since an online calculator says X number, and they don't lose weight at that number, then something must be wrong with them ). According to most calculators, I should be able to lose on nearly 2500 calories a day, but it just ain't so for me. I try to stay below 2000 each day and below 1800 for my daily average for the week, but those are the numbers I've found that work best for me. One thing I do want to mention is be careful not to go too low in the bginning. You will lose weight at first, but you'll most likely end up frustrated and plateauing at too low an amount. "They" say not to go below 1200 consistently, and I personally don't ever suggest that anyone start out trying to lose at less than 1500.

Back to topic...if you don't like black beans, maybe try to make a white chili recipe using white beans? A guy brought in a crockpot of white chicken chili (of course you could use tofu or MorningStar Farms "chicken" instead) to work today, and it looked and smelled AMAZING. I'm sure you can find lots of good recipes for that all over the web. I LOVE making a big crockpot of soup-type stuff like that on the weekend and then just scoop it into a bunch of Gladware containers in the fridge and grab one for lunch each day for the week. That way, I don't have to make my lunch in the morning when I'm tired and crabby before work, and I made it, so I know the exact nutrition information (add up the calories/protein/fat for all ingredients in the whole pot, then divide by however many bowls you split it into).
Old 12-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #9  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

I really don't like boca burgers myself, but morningstar farms I think has a burger called black something burger, and I have had one before...and it was delicious! I think they are on the veggie burgers at burger king. That sounds delicious, a spinach tofu egg roll. Never heard of trader joe's though. So, guess I won't be able to have one. lol.

Yes, I eat eggs. I try to eat only organic eggs though. In my opinion they taste A LOT better. heh.

What is Quinoa and kefir, btw?

Also, I would help ya out on the last part, but I have no idea what fitday is. So, heh. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh68 View Post
Hi - I'm brand new to this site (trying to get motivated). I'm not vegetarian, but don't each much meat. I had a boca burger (original/vegan kind) tonight on a low carb wheat tortilla. The tortillas are in the refrigerator section at wally world (my town of gloucester's claim to fame is we have the biggest walmart on the east coast - woohoo!). I also ate a spinach/toful egg roll from trader joe's and a salad. A hodge podge dinner, but I think pretty healthy nonetheless.

All the foods mentioned sound like really good suggestions. I might also suggest buying some avocado (not cheap, but you can get 4 servings out of one - good on or with different things). Also, as a vegetarian, do you eat eggs? Great source of protein and if you eliminate all or some yolks very lowfat and cheap. Quinoa and kefir are both healthy and nutritious, and I just bought some when I was at trader joe's.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

Quinoa is a grain kinda like rice, but it's more round instead of long and narrow. It's a whole grain, so it's better than white rice. I also like whole wheat couscous, which is kinda like tiny little quinoa. They're all grains, but if you can't find them, unprocessed brown rice is good, too
Old 12-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Jill,
Thanks a lot for the explanation on using fitday and calories. I think I will experiment with calories amounts and set goals for myself and not worry about points. I think it would just get too complicated if I tried to do both. I also like your method of entering what you PLAN to eat and then adjusting. I think that would be very helpful for me to try too.

Ok... quinoa (pronounced keen-wa). It's a little grain and you boil it, kinda tastes like a combo of rice and pasta. Really a good little grain. Looks similar to couscous. It's tauted as having more protein than most grains, and it's very versatile. I buy it at Trader Joe's - a great little grocery store chain of healthy and very reasonably priced foods. I know there is one in NOVA somewhere. We got one about a year ago in Newport News - love it!! But you can buy quinoa at Ukrops, Farm Fresh, probably not Food Lion, but lots of stores do sell it.

Kefir is a very thick yogurt type drink. You can get plain or flavored, like strawberry. It is not overly sweet and even a little bitter maybe. My mom has my niece and nephew hooked on it - they get it for dessert and love it. It is supposed to have all kinds of nutritional benefits, including lots of the friendly bacteria for gastrointestinal well being. My husband doesn't care for it, but I put it in smoothies for him, which he does like.

I also really like the idea of a big crockpot of something healthy. We have a crockpot and never use it. I should try that white chicken chile this weekend before going back to work. I actually think I'll search on line to see if I can find a recipe for it... otherwise, I may wing it.

Ok... I know this is long, but I will add one more thing... my smoothie recipe. I make these several times a week for my husband, who is type 1 diabetic. When we get busy with work and overwhelmed, our eating goes down the tubes, but this is a healthy thing I do make for him that he loves.

I throw in the blender

-about 1 cup frozen berries - usually either blue or strawberries
-1/2-1 whole frozen banana - if I have any. I peel them when they get overly ripe and brown, put them in ziplocks, and freeze for smoothies.
-fat free soymilk - vanilla flavor is extra good
-about 1/2 c. yogurt or kefir - whatever I have. I buy plain fat free yogurt healthy and you can't tell it's tasteless in a smoothie. Or fat free vanilla, but that has more carbs/sugar
-probably would be sweet enough for some, but I usually add a little splenda too.

Blend till smooth. This makes one large smoothie for him and a mini for me.

Thanks to both of you for chatting...sorry I got long winded, but I feel more motivated already. I'll let you know if I find a good healthy recipe for white chicken chile ... or else I'll just wing it!
Angie
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #12  
Eating for two!

heh, get as long-winded as you want, angie...I do it on a daily basis here

We have a handful of Trader Joe's stores around here--that's where I found my whole wheat couscous. I also know, though, that they're not everywhere, so I feel for people like muzik who don't have one nearby. My sister lives in Va Beach, and going to Newport News just for a TJ's is soooo out of the question so I never get to go to one when I am visiting her, either.

We have Giant as our big grocery store chain up here, and they have a great line of organic store brand products. I love it because they're so much cheaper than the typical organic or all-natural name brands. Oh, and I also visit Whole Foods when I can, but there I just kinda wander the aisles--no particular staples I like to get there regularly. Now, at TJ's, I go for the couscous, bags of frozen shrimp, bags of thaw-and-serve grilled chicken strips (amazing for salads if you don't have time to cook a chicken breast), tubs of fresh bruschetta, organic breakfast cereals...but I did also shop only at regular grocery stores until I moved closer to a TJ's, so it is possible to survive without them (I'll have to keep telling myself that since we're thinking of moving out to the middle of nowhere next fall)

Alright, time to go make my breakfast smoothie (I don't like yogurt in mine--just frozen banana, milk, and vanilla protein powder...YUM!). Catch you chickies later!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #13  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

I just found out today that we have two healthy food stores where I live so I am going to check it out sometime soon. I listen to a radio station called WNRN, and they talk about this food place up in Charlottesville all the time, and I would go there..but it's about an hour and 20 minutes away.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikjunky View Post
I just found out today that we have two healthy food stores where I live so I am going to check it out sometime soon. I listen to a radio station called WNRN, and they talk about this food place up in Charlottesville all the time, and I would go there..but it's about an hour and 20 minutes away.
That's awesome that you've found some places near you! Just be careful not to get suckered into paying more for normal things just because they're at a "health food" store

We're going to visit my boyfriend's mother for New Year's tomorrow, and she's about an hour from Charlottesville, so I know your pain. She's way out in the middle of nowhere, and she's so funny--last time we visited, she asked us to go to the mall with her, and we asked how far it was, and she goes, "Oh, it's right up the street." Yeah, she was talking about the mall in Charlottesville...I guess when you live near nothing but cows and trees, and hour away becomes "right up the street"
Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #15  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

What kinds of things are you talking about? Like bread, and what not?

lmao. That's how people are here, and probably a lot of other places. I took my Granny to wally world for the first time earlier this year, and she said where is it. I said Wards RD, Just right up the street..and on the way there she was saying this is too long of a drive. We should have just went to Food Lion. LOL. It was only a 10 min drive, but...yanno. heh.